Type keyword(s) to search

S34: Hali Ford

Jabu
  • Start Topic

I saw that Sandra tweet the other night. I hope they have a chance to get back together again as based on the previews they are going to be swapped on different tribes.  I saw someone mention on CTS that Hali saying "loose lips, sink ships" at tribal council is the exact same thing Sandra said to Rupert in Heroes vs. Villains when Rupert got voted out.  I assume it is a coincidence but still pretty funny.

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 3

Count me in as someone else who thinks Eliza sounds like she feels [unreasonably] threatened by Hali. I've only seen Eliza in Fans vs. Favorites, but I don't remember her being especially good at challenges there, nor did she seem to be as well-liked as Hali is.

I hope Hali goes far. I suspect she won't make it to the end because she's a classic likeability threat, not to mention her legal training means she'll be better-than-average at dealing with a jury (and she acquitted herself well in post-season 30 interviews, I thought).

• Love 1

Kass was on RHAP this week, and they talked about Eliza's comments regarding Hali.  I like how Rob openly said Eliza always has someone every season she finds to hate.  But both Rob and Kass touched on what other people said here as to what the dislike might be stemming from-that there's a new young lawyer in town, and her name isn't Eliza.  Kass thinks Eliza fancies herself more of a game changer than Hali, and feels she took her spot.  I also liked how Kass said some of the contestants both on and not on this season need to get over themselves and the theme. 

When someone pointed this all out to Eliza, her defense now seems to be that Hali actually agrees with her from some of her pre-show interviews where she said she wasn't a game changer.  Which I still think is all kinds of awesome that Hali doesn't know why she's here and thinks the game changer title doesn't fit her.  But she's allowed to say that.  I think Hali could come up with a better defense than 'she said it, too!'.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Hera said:

Count me in as someone else who thinks Eliza sounds like she feels [unreasonably] threatened by Hali. I've only seen Eliza in Fans vs. Favorites, but I don't remember her being especially good at challenges there, nor did she seem to be as well-liked as Hali is.

I hope Hali goes far. I suspect she won't make it to the end because she's a classic likeability threat, not to mention her legal training means she'll be better-than-average at dealing with a jury (and she acquitted herself well in post-season 30 interviews, I thought).

Eliza kicked ass in FvF challenges.  Mostly with puzzles but also a bunch of physical stuff.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Kass thinks Eliza fancies herself more of a game changer than Hali, and feels she took her spot. 

So Eliza is sore she wasn't invited back again?  

All I remember about her in FvF was the rest of the cast seemed to want nothing to do with her game-wise, and for good reasons (not that I remember them but I sympathized).  So she must have a shitty social game.  Just like in real life.  

Eliza is a serious gamer, and very intense, insecure, but smart and yes secretly a great challenge asset.  It's not really "the cast" that didn't want to work with her in Micronesia so much as Parvati (and I mean, Eliza & Penner wanted Parv out first, so you can't exactly blame her), and as Parv's alliance won out in the end she didn't get to be shown to much advantage.  But some of that was bad luck -- Penner's medevac and Kathy's quit-evac.  She didn't win over Nathalie and Alexis on the swap tribe like Parvati did -- but they never went to tribal so maybe she would have if they did, with the argument that she could save the Fans.  Unfortunately with no numbers but the useless Jason Siska at the merge she was in bad, bad shape and desperation scrambling never looks good on TV, especially when Parvati is mocking you for it, so I think she came off as having a worse game than she actually did.

But as much as I love her on Survivor she is so obnoxious on Twitter!  All my goodwill for her evaporates when she comes after people for the pettiest, stupidest reasons.

• Love 4
On 3/9/2017 at 9:11 PM, LanceM said:

This is an interesting group of Survivors who got together to watch the episode with Hali.  I am slightly amused that Eliza's BFF Francesca was there.

C6dbMm7XMAA8d-Y.jpg

It's uncanny how much Hali looks like Debra Messing in this photo.

• Love 2

Did anyone notice the awkward hug between Sierra and Hali when they first switched tribes?  I still think there is something up there. But anyway I am very happy to see her stay. I suspect there was a lot we didn't see that happened prior to tribal council. It seems like the storyline the editors wanted to go with was whether or not Tai wanted to vote out his buddy from Koah Rong. I liked Hali's rebuttal to Caleb about how "do you really want to keep a strong, smart guy like Caleb around instead of poor old easily manipulated me". Brad's comment on "she is a budding attorney, she knows what she is doing", cracked me up too.  Now this tribe just needs to win next week.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, LanceM said:

Did anyone notice the awkward hug between Sierra and Hali when they first switched tribes?  I still think there is something up there. But anyway I am very happy to see her stay. I suspect there was a lot we didn't see that happened prior to tribal council. It seems like the storyline the editors wanted to go with was whether or not Tai wanted to vote out his buddy from Koah Rong. I liked Hali's rebuttal to Caleb about how "do you really want to keep a strong, smart guy like Caleb around instead of poor old easily manipulated me". Brad's comment on "she is a budding attorney, she knows what she is doing", cracked me up too.  Now this tribe just needs to win next week.

I was wondering how those two were going to interact with each other.  I'm surprised we didn't see anything of them together.  I didn't know if Hali was more nervous about being outnumbered, or being stuck with Sierra.  Since I don't like Sierra, it sucked that my fave was the one on the bottom, and the other one knew she was going to be skating by thanks to Brad for another 3 days.  

• Love 1

What is the beef between Hali and Sierra?  There is obviously no love lost there, and it stands to reason that not everyone who plays on the same season has to be BFF's, but it seems they kind of can't stand each other.  

Max Dawson said that Hali & Sierra "They are friends. They’re just playing the game well". In their pre game interviews they said they've had no contact since their finale which was a few years ago. I know Max hangs out with Sierra and Hali is friendlier with Jenn and doesn't hang 24/7 that much with the Dirty 30 (I hate that cast) do. Either they have been lying or they are great actors. That said, they didn't show them interacting at camp. They each had a confessional but no actual contact. it must have been boring for the editors otherwise we would,have seen something.

Edited by ByaNose
14 hours ago, LanceM said:

Did anyone notice the awkward hug between Sierra and Hali when they first switched tribes?  I still think there is something up there. 

I did notice it and it was hilarious. I really wanna know what the real deal is. And now we have Max saying they're actually friends and are faking this for game play. The plot thickens! Although, Max is an idiot and that makes no sense since why do they need to lie to the audience as well, but still.

I was afraid she was going and I still have high hopes for her so I would've been very disappointed. That being said though, I'm sad she appears to have done nothing to save herself. It might be editing, but in this case, unfortunately, I think she really didn't do anything and kinda just got lucky that Brad decided he wanted Caleb gone more.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 1

Who are the people in the picture?  I recognize Jenn and.....Pei Gee?  Not sure about the others.  The guy in the middle looks familar but its like he is wearing such a very bad wig I'm not sure. 

That's Neil from S32.  Guy with the thick beard is Max (S30), the other guy is Nick (S32), and the other woman is Christina (S24?)

I don't know if it was clever editing or not.  I have a hard time believing Hali sat back and did nothing, but if she did, and it appeared everyone was solidly voting for Caleb, I'll give her a pass this time.  Why rock the boat?  Tai was making a good enough case for Caleb to go as it was.

As to Hali and Sierra-I can buy that they are friendly with each other.  I don't know if I buy that that they are friends.  I agree, why lie about it in pre-show interviews, or TH?  I don't find Sierra convincing enough to pull that off.  I do know after S30 aired, those 2, plus Jenn and Shirin, got some kind of matching tattoos or something.  But we know Shirin pretty much hates all of her original cast, so that isn't saying much now.  I think Max likes to show himself off as a know it all that has all the behind the scenes scoop.  And living in the fantasy world that the S30 cast is still the closest ever.  I can buy the theory floating around that maybe something happened between Joe/Jenn due to Sierra, and since Hali is friends with Jenn, that's where it came from.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3

So after reading a lot of Caleb's interviews today two things became clear to me. First that Caleb is a moron. And second Hali was never in danger of going home last night.  Here are some excerpts from his interview with Josh Wigler:

https://parade.com/555782/joshwigler/survivor-game-changers-caleb-reynolds-exit-interview/

" Basically Brad just went up to him and straight up told him: “Tai, I know you and Caleb are friends, but we have the numbers to send him home, and if you vote against us, that shows us where you’re at.” 

"Debbie chose Hali over me all day. And go figure. Girl power. It went from three and three to three and two, and I believe that’s probably what the girls wanted and that’s what they got. From what I was told from Tai is Debbie had it out for me. The moment she came on that island she said, “If we lose, Caleb’s going home.” "

He also touched on Hali and Sierra

"Her defense was: “Caleb, that was three years ago!” Okay! It doesn’t matter, the time. It’s this simple: y’all have matching tattoos from when you played. You can’t tell me you’re not friends. That’s stupid. I don’t go get my wife’s name tattooed on me thinking I’m going to divorce her tomorrow, you know? It’s that simple. Don’t sit over there and tell me I’m going home because Tai came to my wedding, and yet you have matching tattoos with the girl sitting right in front of you. I honestly feel that they wanted girl power. "

On RHAP he was talking about how he was running around searching for idols while the five of them were just lounging on the beach. So yeah I think I think the reason why they concentrated on the decision being up to Tai was because that is all they had. In reality Tai was just deciding if Caleb was going to be voted out 5-1 or 4-2.

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 6

Since Caleb was running around searching for idols, I wonder if he never checked the beach.  It seems like there should've been the same clue on each beach.  I would've liked to have seen him walk by it or something.  

If there's anything good that came out of tonight's episode, it's that if only Mana had lost Hali would have been going home.  She was awesome tonight, and I hope she manages to survive.  Maybe she'll get lucky and find the idol, since I'm assuming they will re-plant it.

• Love 5

I loved everything about Hali tonight. I am wondering if they are setting her her up for an underdog role and she will make a deep run?  Certainly seemed that way in the beginning of the episode when Debbie said she had "no options" . But yeah that tribal council.  To her retort to Brad saying " “I don’t know. That’s not a good speech to, like, groom me in.” after he said she would be public enemy number one if she voted with old tribe mates to her seeing JT get up to Malcolm saying "fuck it" and get up to go talk to Sandra and finally to top it off with her not consenting to the get up to vote because she wasn't ready yet and then telling Sandra they might regret not talking some more. Awesome.  She also got  of face time at tribal. The camera pointed to her a lot.  Most signifigantly when Jeff said that everyone in this game has their own agenda. I am so hoping she sticks around for awhile.  

• Love 6

I forgot to mention one more thing. During that chaotic tribal council Sierra walks up to her and says "are they voting me" to which Hali replies "I am trying to change everything". Sierra replies "oh" and then Hali turns to the side where I think she was looking at Probst (or most likely the camera) and she just gives this big smile. Love it. Here it is:

ff96f6d9513b6639165529b1cf06cc06.gif

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 9

Yeah I thought Hali played well and fearlessly.  At camp pre-tribal I liked her honesty and her refusal to be bullied: sure, you can threaten me now, but at tribal there will be six of them and four of you so why should I worry about you?

• Love 5
23 hours ago, LanceM said:

I forgot to mention one more thing. During that chaotic tribal council Sierra walks up to her and says "are they voting me" to which Hali replies "I am trying to change everything". Sierra replies "oh" and then Hali turns to the side where I think she was looking at Probst (or most likely the camera) and she just gives this big smile. Love it. Here it is:

ff96f6d9513b6639165529b1cf06cc06.gif

That was great.  She basically confirmed even more what Sierra was thinking (even though she already had those feelings confirmed by J.T.'s stupid mouth), and then apparently did try and save Sierra.

I'm really doubting them not having any post-game relationship now.

I was a little worried about Princess Hali tonight given the amount of airtime they spent with the Mana tribe.  I thought this whole crazy Debbie episode was misdirection and Mana was going to lose and she was going to get voted out.  I am glad to see that wasn't the case.  I liked the way that Princess Hali handled Debbie tonight not really reacting at all as she was going on her rants. Secretly she was probably laughing on the inside because when you are at the bottom of the tribe and drama that happens with those above you is a good thing. A new swap can't come fast enough for her as she should be in good shape wherever she ends up.

• Love 5

Hali really has the hair & beach attire on point this seasons. It's like she's at a resort and not playing Survivor. LOL!! I was worried when she couldn't cross the balance beam. Luckily, Debbie did worse. We still don't see much interaction between her & Sierra. I don't know if it's good or bad. Next weeks swap might be the real test for the both of them. Who will survive? Who will outlast whom? Is it Wednesday yet? LOL!!!!

• Love 5

If there's any benefit to tonight's episode, Debbie's erratic behavior really might move Hali above her on the tribe's totem pole.

. . . Or I guess not due to the swap.  Still, here's hoping she has more favorable odds with this swap.

• Love 2

Well, being around Debbie is good experience for Hali in her legal career. If she can remain unperturbed during Debbie's rants, she'll hold her own against any opposing lawyer in court.

• Love 7
59 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Well, being around Debbie is good experience for Hali in her legal career. If she can remain unperturbed during Debbie's rants, she'll hold her own against any opposing lawyer in court.

I think Hali might be Debbie's public defender some day. :)

So, we have Queen Sandra and Princess Hali.  It is like a Survivor Royal Family.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I think Hali might be Debbie's public defender some day. :)

So, we have Queen Sandra and Princess Hali.  It is like a Survivor Royal Family.

I'm sure Debbie will tell Princess Hali she's been Chief Justice of the Supreme Court and can out legal knowledge her any day.  Then she'll blame Brad when she fails.

I'm very impressed with how Hali handled Debbie, and that she didn't let it get under her skin or play victim of an unnecessary tirade.  Even though, again, she had every reason to, and every reason to be pissed at losing.  I do remember during WA, when Nina had her break down and Jenn just kind of dismissed her, that Hali was the one looking at it from Nina's perspective and didn't get annoyed with her.  She also was the one who was up front, in a nice way, with Shirin after Max's blindside and kind of set her straight.

• Love 9
(edited)

Well now that The Queen has been deposed is it time for the Princess to take the crown?  Probably not but a man can dream.  Very quiet episode for Hali tonight as expected since she was on the tribe that won the challenge, not to mention the fact that the show had to give us that all important bonding scene between crazy Debbie and someone who is not even on this season.  I mean seriously why show the women bonding on the Mana tribe when you can see the Cochran and Debbie lovefest?  Anyway, my hope is that Hali is able to from some kind alliance with Cirie, Michaela and Aubry then possibly pick up Andrea at the merge.  This is what I hope happens. The good news is I think this tribe should stay intact until the merge as I don't see them losing to Nuku.

Random fun fact about Hali is that over two seasons she has been involved in 3 different tribe swaps and all 3 times she has remained on the same tribe she started on in the beginning of the season.

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 6
(edited)

Well Hali is very excited about her new tribe, especially seeing Troy and Michaela but also Aubry as well. She compares this tribe swap like her being reborn in this game. She likes her chances to go deep  a lot better than she felt in Worlds Apart. Though I am guessing she is going to feel very sad not seeing Sandra on the other tribe

http://d.pr/v/9Lfi

Also, from the word association with Gordon Holmes, Sandra had this to say about Hali and I couldn't agree more from my view from afar.

Holmes: Hali?
Diaz-Twine: Genuine. 

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, seltzer3 said:

I know this episode was totally dominated by Varner and Zeke.  But Hali got metamorphosis!  Impressive.

I know!  I was so surprised and impressed that she thought of the word!

• Love 1

I have to laugh at her getting that, because I always think back to S30 where they couldn't get "All the Fixin's" for a food reward.  Despite Jeff giving them the answer.  Granted, I know how I get when I'm starving and sleep deprived, and that isn't 30+ days of it.  But always what I go back to when someone finishes a complicated puzzle.

I'm a little worried about Hali's placement in the game.  Hoping she can get a second life at the merge, since she doesn't seem to be in tight with Brad's alliance. 

• Love 3

That whole scene at the reward when she solved the puzzle was great. One thing I didn't notice last night until someone mention it today was right after Jeff came over to confirm that they won, the tribe starts cheering and Hali puts her legs together and gives a salute. Cracks me up when I watch it. I also loved how happy she looked ( I wonder if she knows she is on the outs) and the way that Michaela picked her up and gave her a hug.  I think those two being on the outs might actually help them atleast in the short term as I imagine the 2 opposing alliances will be gunning for each other and they will become the swing votes.

• Love 6