Type keyword(s) to search

S34: Brad Culpepper

Jabu
  • Start Topic

Hi.  I'm from Blood vs. Water.  And the blindsides I set up apparently helped my wife get to the end.

I don't understand what he means about Caleb, though.  What did he have to do with his ouster?

• Love 1

Just why?

Would have been nice if those blindsides actually got her the win, but thankfully they didn't.  Also, he finished 15th.  He seems to think a little highly of his game.

I think what he means about Caleb is that they went into that TC where Brad got voted off, and Caleb ended up switching over to Ciera and Katie.  He seemed completely caught off guard by it.  It led to a tie, and then Brad was voted out on the re-vote after Vytas also flipped.

• Love 2

Yeah Brad is pretty much a hot mess and based on some of his answers here I think he has might have taken a few too many blows to his head back in his NFL days. Still though I am coming around to thinking he is going to be quite entertaining in a total train wreck sort of way. Enjoy.

http://xfn-blogs.xfinity.com/tv/2017/02/14/survivor-brad-ive-never-played-real-survivor-play-loved-one-totally-different/

Oh and I agree with Brad here, Probst was a dick to do this to Zeke and Michaela.

We sat across from each other at lunch and we made small talk. He seemed nice. Jeff introduced them to us and brought up a name when he introduced them to us. He said, “Guys, I want you to meet Zeke and Michaela. They are holdovers from last season just like Russell was.” I was like, “Why the (expletive deleted) did he mention that name?” I’d be so mad if I was Zeke and he brings up Russell’s name in connection with being held over. I immediately started thinking, why’d they bring up Russell’s name? So, neither one of them won, and just like Russell, they’re back. All things being equal, if it’s a first-day vote out, I might vote for Zeke.

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 5

"Gordon Holmes: So, what’ve you been up to since “Blood vs. Water”?
Brad Culpepper: Well, I played 1/22 of “Second Chance.” And I’ve been a dad since then. Of course I got sued because I was on “Blood vs. Water.”
Holmes: And that’s been worked out?
Culpepper: Worked out? (Expletive deleted) no, the judge threw it out. I won that. It was (expletive deleted). My oldest son got a full scholarship and is playing quarterback at Syracuse. That’s the hat I’m going to be wearing this season."

Is being sued just a metaphor here or was he really sued for something?

5 minutes ago, AG921 said:

"Gordon Holmes: So, what’ve you been up to since “Blood vs. Water”?
Brad Culpepper: Well, I played 1/22 of “Second Chance.” And I’ve been a dad since then. Of course I got sued because I was on “Blood vs. Water.”
Holmes: And that’s been worked out?
Culpepper: Worked out? (Expletive deleted) no, the judge threw it out. I won that. It was (expletive deleted). My oldest son got a full scholarship and is playing quarterback at Syracuse. That’s the hat I’m going to be wearing this season."

Is being sued just a metaphor here or was he really sued for something?

http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/2015/01/30/Ex-NFL-lineman-Brad-Culpepper-sued-for-insurance-fraud-over-Survivor-appearance/7871422623976/

Another interview with Brad. This guy is such a trainwreck. 

https://parade.com/551438/joshwigler/survivor-game-changers-brad-culpepper/

"She feels she can get back at Monica by M-Fing me because we keep losing. They told me at Ponderosa later that Candice was inciting people to say “f—k you, Brad Culpepper!” Then Rachel goes out and Tyson yells at me. It all escalates. So I had to get rid of someone who isn’t connected to Monica, so let’s get rid of John. They don’t give a rat’s ass about John! But then it’s a hornet’s nest. It was just a nightmare. So you talk about Game Changers? That whole scenario, having to worry about not affecting her, having to vote out my best guy because it’s not going to hurt her? And the night I went home, Ciera was supposed to go home. This is what I’m bringing to the season better than I had the last time. First of all, the perception people have of me is totally incorrect. I’m not going to change who I am because I’m a fun guy. I’m very liberal. I’m a f—king Democrat. People think I’m a right-winger? I’m not. I’m as left as you get. But people don’t understand that. All they know is: “F—k you, Brad Culpepper! You’re an a-hole.” 

Haven't any of you ever met a fun guy?

• Love 5
(edited)

I got a headache reading that (and don't understand a word of it).  

I can see why Jeff likes him.

ETA: okay, so if Ciera had been voted out that night over Brad, we would never have gotten the "she voted out her mom!" everytime Jeff mentions her.  Does that mean we would have been subjected to Brad "he voted out his own wife" (or vice versa if Monica canned him first).

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 5

It's hard to say who has come across the worst in these pre-game interviews, but Brad is holding his own against Debbie, Zeke, and Caleb... None of whom actually did anything that makes them a player who changed Survivor in any meaningful way but all of whom are eager to trash the rest of the cast.

• Love 6

Brad sounds like (always has) a nut job. I think he was in the head too many times playing football. That said, he could browdown with the guys and go far. He could also be the token guy with a woman alliance. He might make the merge but I don't think anyone would award him a million dollars no matter how well he plays. He's sort of a goat to bring to the end. IMO!!

• Love 3

Antiquing, home decorating-when did Brad become Frasier Crane?  I refuse to get behind him, no matter how nice of a guy they make him seem (it's still early, right?)  so when I need re-assurance, I'll just pull up the "F-You Brad Culpepper" from his original season.

• Love 1

I guess Brad is hoping for a decorating show on HGTV with Monica after Survivor is over. Who knew he was into home decor? At least, he is trying to change his game up a bit. It could all be an act but he does seem a lot different this time around.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Where did he get those colored ornaments for decoration in the first place?

They're Japanese fishing floats, which apparently there are still some out there in the ocean "caught in a circular pattern," but even with the recent storms I doubt those washed up; as the blue-green ones at the other camp (that Malcolm marvelled at) matched and the ones Brad brought in matched (sort of lavender-ish), I expect they were producer-supplied somewhere else (probably sourced from Pier 1, heh), like at treemail or the water supply, and they just thought they'd be nicer nearer camp.  And why not.  Glass floats

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Jobiska said:

They're Japanese fishing floats, which apparently there are still some out there in the ocean "caught in a circular pattern," but even with the recent storms I doubt those washed up; as the blue-green ones at the other camp (that Malcolm marvelled at) matched and the ones Brad brought in matched (sort of lavender-ish), I expect they were producer-supplied somewhere else (probably sourced from Pier 1, heh), like at treemail or the water supply, and they just thought they'd be nicer nearer camp.  And why not.  Glass floats

Weren't they one of the items taken off when they jumped ship?

• Love 1

Brad's the last guy they should have called on to be on Survivor again. He wasn't that spectacular on his first go-round, rather forgettable really so why make him out to be such a catalyst when he clearly wasn't.  The guy made millions in the NFL, he's making millions now as an ambulance chaser, so he needs a Survivor million like a hole in the head. He's obviously in it for the fame. Some people just can't stop being in the spotlight and he's a prime example.

And his annoying habit of constantly bringing up his wife's name drives me nuts. "What would Monica do?" and "Monica and I decorated our house." Did she send him off with strict reminders to keep her name out there too, even if she isn't there? He's so totally whipped.  So OTT with his fame-grabbing. Wish everyone would wise up and send him home already!

• Love 1

He does seem to be making more friends than enemies right now, though.  So while it might be a bit early to say, it does seem like he's learned some things and is trying to pace himself this time.

• Love 1

Tonight I finally saw the Culpepper I hated from BvsW.  He's totally arrogant, and I hate that his butt is calling the shots and his tribe (minus Hali) is letting him.  Debbie/Sierra/Tai are attached at the hip to him.  And apparently so is JT, though JT's burst of loyalty may cost him if Nuku loses next week.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, LanceM said:

I see he took a  page out of the Kyle Jason playbook and just referred to Hali as "blue eyes" as Kyle did by called Alecia "Blondie".

I missed that.  Too bad no one else caught it and pointed out to Hali just how much Brad and his sheep valued her.

Although Hali's pretty sharp, and she already knows where she stands.

4 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I missed that.  Too bad no one else caught it and pointed out to Hali just how much Brad and his sheep valued her.

Although Hali's pretty sharp, and she already knows where she stands.

Well he said directly to Hali at camp and yes she knows exactly where she stands on that tribe.

Brad seems to be targeting the strong players on his own team as well as others.  I would think he was trying to keep his team strong by voting out Malcolm, but I have to remember that he voted out Caleb from his team, who is a total NON-threat.  

4 minutes ago, vb68 said:

Brad and Caleb were put together by a twist, but Caleb not being part of Brad's "team" seems like the reason Caleb got booted.  I essentially agree about him voting out physically strong players, though. 

But Hali isn't a part of Brad's team either. It really does look like Brad's plan is to vote out all the alpha males in some attempt to be the King with a bunch of women doing his bidding. Which is why I really hope that come merge a woman beats him at the first IIC and then he promptly gets voted out lol.

• Love 6

But Hali isn't a part of Brad's team either. It really does look like Brad's plan is to vote out all the alpha males in some attempt to be the King with a bunch of women doing his bidding. Which is why I really hope that come merge a woman beats him at the first IIC and then he promptly gets voted out lol.

I agree with you there. I was just trying to make a point about Brad not considering Caleb a part of his team.  

• Love 1
On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 7:39 PM, LanceM said:

Well he said directly to Hali at camp and yes she knows exactly where she stands on that tribe.

Eh.  Hali didn't seem that bothered by it.

• Love 1
On 3/16/2017 at 6:31 AM, fishcakes said:

"We decorated our own house." Yep. That's what most people do, Brad.

Not people with money. There's an entire industry devoted to helping people with more money than sense figure out what color tiles to use and which wall to hang a painting on. 

(edited)

Bringing this over from the Unpopular Opinions thread.

8 hours ago, Sugar said:

My unpopular opinion about this season is that I like Brad Culpepper.

I keep seeing all these posts bashing him, and talking about what an ass he is, but all I'm seeing is a dorky dad-type who hasn't really done anything offensive, other than try like hell to fit in and redeem his edit. People refer to him as a racist and misogynist, but I really don't see any evidence of that (or even in his first season).

I don't think anyone here has ever called Brad a racist. Maybe that's happening on other forums, but I haven't seen it here. I don't think he's been called a misogynist either, although he has taken some criticism for being mildly sexist, not in a woman-hating way, but because he can come across as a little condescending.

But I kind of love him this season (it feels weird to say that), and I was definitely one of the Fuck You Brad Culpepper Oh No Not This Asshole Again when it was announced he was returning, but ever since the Rage of Debbie episode, I've been trying to remember why. I think the main thing was that in BvW, he thought he was a better player than he was and he wouldn't own his game. He was running his tribe, and everyone knew he was running his tribe, and he got blamed for running his tribe when he voted people out, but then he'd give these clueless talking heads where he'd say, "I don't know why everyone keeps saying I'm running the tribe. I am running the tribe, but no one knows it." For Brad, 2 + 2 = ?

He hated getting yelled at by the other tribe and by Candice and Marissa at the RI duels, so he decided the thing to do was to vote out people on his tribe who didn't have a loved one on the other tribe, leading him to target John (his closest ally and someone who had shared his clues to the HII with him) and Caleb, another ally. And when he came up with the plan to vote out John, he told the tribe that everyone should vote for John except himself so that if John got back in from Redemption Island, he wouldn't be mad at Brad. Which works out great for Brad, but not for anyone else.

The sexism criticisms are, I think, because he immediately formed a men's alliance and voted out the two strongest women, then when Candice accused him of not listening to the women on his tribe, instead of asking Ciera and Katie if that was true, he asked the guys instead. I think a lot of the "Brad is a sexist dick" stuff came from Candice stirring the pot, but it didn't help that Monica seemed so Stepford-y and adoring at the Reunion. She actually slumped down to make herself shorter so she could gaze up at him. So a lot of that perception of him as a sexist isn't his fault, but it wasn't just pulled out of thin air either.

Post-season, a lot of people were really appalled to find out that he'd filed for disability and received about $200K. It came out because the insurance company sued him after they saw him on Survivor where he was pretty clearly not physically disabled, nor does whatever he claims as a disability affect his ability to work; he's said in interviews that his salary from his law firm is seven figures annually.

So I guess the main reasons he was disliked was that he seemed kind of dumb and weaselly and a little sexist, although all that pales in comparison to, say, the Dan Foleys of the world. This season, though? He's delightful. (Man, that will never not feel weird to say.)

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 10

Yeah, he seems rather pleasant and hasn't even raised his voice....even to Debbie. I had been thinking he was getting the winners edit and then it was Sierra and then it was Sarah and now it's Cirie. LOL!! I think he might make it to the Final 3 though. Oddly enough, he is the only one without an HII or secret advantage. Maybe, it will work in his favor.

• Love 4

I honestly can't remember enough about his first season to judge whether he's different this time around. I can't warm up to him because something about him seems a little smarmy. Like his "what would Monica do" confessionals, they are sweet on their face, but something seems a little calculated and phony. He seems like that type of alpha male who would make a show of considering what a woman has to say, but isn't really. 

And that is complete conjecture on my part since I don't know him, it's just the vibe I get from him on this show. 

I also have an irrational dislike for his general style, which seems incongruous with his age. The tattoos, the constant baseball cap and shirtlessness all conspire to create a 'mutton dressed as lamb' effect. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ljenkins782 said:

I honestly can't remember enough about his first season to judge whether he's different this time around. I can't warm up to him because something about him seems a little smarmy. Like his "what would Monica do" confessionals, they are sweet on their face, but something seems a little calculated and phony. He seems like that type of alpha male who would make a show of considering what a woman has to say, but isn't really. 

And that is complete conjecture on my part since I don't know him, it's just the vibe I get from him on this show. 

I also have an irrational dislike for his general style, which seems incongruous with his age. The tattoos, the constant baseball cap and shirtlessness all conspire to create a 'mutton dressed as lamb' effect. 

Yeah, he does try to come off as young when he isn't. Oddly enough, he is only 47. I thought he was in in middle 50's. It's not that he looks old (I'm 52) but he just gives off the vibe that he trying to be young when he isn't. I'm not into tattoos so that's a complete turn off for me. I'll give him a pass on the shirtlessness and the baseball caps. I mean he is on an island, afterall. I think he is loaded already with career in football and as an attorney. I can't see anyone giving him a million anyway. He might be a good goat. A different kind of goat but a goat nevertheless.

2 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

I can't warm up to him because something about him seems a little smarmy. Like his "what would Monica do" confessionals, they are sweet on their face, but something seems a little calculated and phony.

"Haven't you ever met a neat man before?" Monica asks.

I know what you mean. I felt that way about him in BvW, but this season he seems okay to me, maybe because he's hardly getting any airtime. More airtime rarely helps any of these people.

• Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

I can't warm up to him because something about him seems a little smarmy. Like his "what would Monica do" confessionals, they are sweet on their face, but something seems a little calculated and phony.

Yea, sometimes his WWMD stuff and really most of what's he's doing this season feels like a very calculated response to how he came across/the reaction he got last time.

But honestly when he said, "I like you. I don't know why you're mad at me," to Debbie at the challenge after she went insane on him, and really just his general response to Debbie's episodes, I can't fully hate him anymore. He really is quite charming and entertaining to me this season, even if I do think some of it is phony.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 10

Ugh he's winning this thing isn't he?  Cirie's fucked, Aubry's fucked, he's just shouted Tai into submission ("SHE and SHE voted FOR YOU!!!!"), Sarah has (it now seems) a bunch of grumpy jurors on her hands, Troyzan is useless...

That's so incredibly depressing.  And it's all because Cirie voted out Andrea for no reason.

• Love 1

It was ballsy of Tai not to play either idol, knowing he was on the chopping block.  I wish he had it in him to scream back and point to Brad and Troy and say "you and you voted for me two TC ago!"  

I'm worried about Brad's chances now, since he went from in control to outnumbered underdog to being back in control again.  They love to set those kind of stories up.  Plus, didn't Michaela wish everyone but Sarah luck on her way out?  It'll probably be the first time in a long time that Probst spends more than 5 minutes with the winner, and brings a chair onstage for Monica so he can gush all over her and Brad, and how he did it for her.  Hey, maybe he'll spend so much time, he won't even be able to acknowledge the Varner/Zeke incident.  Well, it would be a fitting end to a crappy season.  

• Love 2
4 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

Ugh he's winning this thing isn't he?  Cirie's fucked, Aubry's fucked, he's just shouted Tai into submission ("SHE and SHE voted FOR YOU!!!!"), Sarah has (it now seems) a bunch of grumpy jurors on her hands, Troyzan is useless...

That's so incredibly depressing.  And it's all because Cirie voted out Andrea for no reason.

I sign off on this. It really does set up this way. Especially, the part where Brad angrly told Tai that they voted for him. Of course, Brad didn't have a problem when he, Sierra & Troyzan voted for him last week. LOL!!!

• Love 3

I don't think I've ever been so happy to see someone lose on this show.  His arrogance all throughout the episode made me look forward to his downfall.  Saying he couldn't lose, saying he was in control, calling the shots, bullying Tai (and what a freaking ass he was to him, I'm glad Tai stood up for himself).  Then seeing him sulk at the FTC when people weren't bowing down King Brad and gushing praise upon his biceps for being such an awesome challenge beast.

Had he not been such a pompous jackass and his alliance not been so freaking obvious, he might not have needed those wins to make it to the end.

Surprised (but happy) that Monica wasn't shown.

• Love 7
(edited)
9 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

Yeah I was amazed at how little she came up once he got to FTC and into the reunion. 

Hantz aside, there are very few players I've been this happy to see lose, and it's especially great that he only lost because he was annoyed at Tai for NOT GIVING HIM AN IDOL. 

I'm still confused about the hessian sack/red jeans combo he was rocking the last few days on the show, and that reunion outfit... what? 

Edited by MissEwa
  • Love 4

Brad had some interesting wardrobe changes.  I'm still wondering about the outfit he wore at the last two TC.  And totally not digging the mustache.  He reminded me of an evil camp counselor that would have been on a 90s made for TV Disney movie.

• Love 5

I liked Brad with the mustache but the short sleeves with the tie is so 80's. I'm not sure if he thought he looked good or maybe he really dresses like that since he lives in Florida. Also, I never seen someone (except for Russell) sulk like he did at the reading of the votes & at the reunion.  I heard him on EW this morning with Dalton. He said Monica didn't like how the showed his bad side in the Final 2 episodes. I guess he was hoping the hero edit was going to continue through the finale, too. Now, both he and Monica are runner ups Inc Survivor. It's not a horrible thing in retrospect. Most people don't even get that close. That said, I don't need to see either of them again. 

• Love 8
14 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I don't think I've ever been so happy to see someone lose on this show.  His arrogance all throughout the episode made me look forward to his downfall.  Saying he couldn't lose, saying he was in control, calling the shots, bullying Tai (and what a freaking ass he was to him, I'm glad Tai stood up for himself).  Then seeing him sulk at the FTC when people weren't bowing down King Brad and gushing praise upon his biceps for being such an awesome challenge beast.

Had he not been such a pompous jackass and his alliance not been so freaking obvious, he might not have needed those wins to make it to the end.

I could have sworn that was Monica who darted out and intercepted Sarah on her way to hug her family, which I thought was a little obnoxious. (ETA: I just looked that clip up and it looks like Sarah acknowledged Monica first, so perhaps I was harsh on Monica last night.) 

I was thrilled he lost for all the reasons listed above. His behavior toward Tai was extremely ugly. I don't care how annoying Tai might have been or how frustrating his gameplay is, intimidating and bullying people is not okay and he went over the line in his aggression. 

• Love 7

Somewhere Mario is looking at the "Why Scot and Jason Are Actually A Fine Upstanding Pair of Guys" post in his drafts folder and thinking, "I sure hope they don't get invited back..."

14 hours ago, MissEwa said:

I'm still confused about the hessian sack/red jeans combo he was rocking the last few days on the show, and that reunion outfit... what? 

I guessed the sack was supposed to make him look kingly, like some early Medieval monarch.  I'm sure he would have liked to hold FTC from atop the ocean rock throne he sat on this episode, but in lieu of that, he decided to dress the part.

• Love 5

I will say that I was impressed but the skinny red jeans. He would sometimes cuff them & other times they were down. I always thought it was funny that he crossed his legs at Tribal Council. There's something about a big burly guy crossing his legs that cracks me up. What can I say. I'm easily amused.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, KimberStormer said:

I guessed the sack was supposed to make him look kingly, like some early Medieval monarch.  I'm sure he would have liked to hold FTC from atop the ocean rock throne he sat on this episode, but in lieu of that, he decided to dress the part.

To me, he looked like one of the Sparrows in Kings Landing!

• Love 4