Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E14: The Emotion Detection Automation

14 hours ago, shura said:

Here's one for you:  "You'd think a 21st century 'feelings machine' would be an app, not a boombox. Ah, MIT..." 

To me, it looked like some machine they cobbled together on the original Star Trek.

3 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Raj and deaf Emily's whole relationship was over the course of one episode, so it would be easy to gloss over it. Penny knew her from the gym and she set them up. The other storyline was Sheldon letting a roll of the dice deciding all his decisions.

The episode with Raj and deaf Emily must not have been very memorable (for me at least) because I really can't place it..and I'm sure I've seen every episode.  Was it a while ago, when Raj still couldn't talk to girls while sober?

I did like seeing the girl with anxiety again, but only because I like that actress and I think she has a good comic effect.  I was kind of bummed to see she had about 2 lines.

• Love 2

I like that Penny hasn't tried to change Leonard's wardrobe. It annoys the hell out of me when women, once they've "got" him, try to change a man's appearance or his friends or the decor in his apt, etc. A few changes might happened naturally. But to give the person a complete overhaul, why did you get involved with him in the first place if he needs so much fixing?

Anyway, I obviously have a personal issue with that. :) But I like that Penny doesn't try to change him. One of the reason's I didn't like Priya was her pushiness, getting him to wear contact and clothes that needed to be dry cleaned. Whereas Penny seems to accept Leonard, generally, for who he already is.

Now Amy on the other hand surprises me. That Penny and Bernie haven't influenced her clothing decisions more. Although we have seen her wear heels which accented her caboose. :) Although this could be looked at as Penny & Bernie accepting Amy for who she is and not trying to change her. :)

Speaking of Amy going shopping with the girls. Last season or the season before Penny and Amy got S & L to do something they wanted to do rather than what the guys wanted to do so they went shopping. There was a scene between P & A in the dressing room and we could see what they were trying on. My question: what store sells the sexy number Penny was trying on that also sells the frumpy schmatta that Amy was trying on?

Yes, Otter, it was awhile ago, maybe in the first few seasons. I don't remember specifically which one though. And yes, it was when Raj couldn't talk to girls which is why Penny thought fixing these 2 up would
be such a good idea. No pressure for Raj to speak as she wouldn't be able to hear him anyway. Howard could sign so he came along on the date as an interpreter. It was actually kind of funny. That was when the show was funny more consistently.

• Love 7

I know that Emily #2, the one Raj dated most recently, wasn't very popular. It seemed like everyone except me disliked her. And Raj really put in some effort, I suppose, in order to date her. But then he messed that up. So Emily had a few weird quirks. Like Raj doesn't ? Maybe I'm projecting my personal feelings because I happen to think the actress is hot. But I think he should have tried harder to make it work with her.

I thought the episode was fairly good. They will probably never match the earlier seasons in quality, but I still think the show is a lot better than most of the crap on tv nowadays. As for Penny and Leonard, I've known a lot of couples that still had frequent fights in the first few years of marriage, even if they dated a while. It just takes some longer to mellow and go with the flow.

• Love 4

Wow, every few weeks I check back in and this episode pretty much highlighted the flaw in the show. The writers want to move forward without anything changing and the characters are drifting. 

Penny and Leonard just bicker. 

Raj and Howard and Bernadette are on their own show. 

Only Sheldon and Amy seem to be progressing. 

I almost wish they could cut some of the characters. Raj can leave and the show would instantly improve. I'd also suggest Penny OR Leonard in scenes, but not both. 

• Love 3

Simon Helberg is a treasure.

And, from what I recall, Emily begged Raj to take her back but he wanted to pursue the blonde girl and then suddenly, it seemed, he was dating both of them and then nothing. Maybe a season passes and he's mixing it up with the janitor woman. I don't recall Emily (#2) breaking up with him. Does anyone? Or blondie for that matter.  But I don't like Raj and don't really pay much attention to any scenes he's in.

No one (at least here) seemed to like Emily so I wonder if that's why she stopped appearing so often and then not at all shortly after she was made a series regular. (The actress is also on Bones & I don't like her there either.)

The show runners have come out and said that baby Wolowitz will be treated basically the same as Mrs. W - heard but not seen. They will also not focus that much attention on her either.

• Love 3

Very sensible decision, and one I wanted MAD ABOUT YOU to make back in the day (the show was supposed to be a close-up look at a marriage, so look at the marriage and how it changes in between the times when they're dealing with the baby). And given Ma W's voice, is sort of a homage to their own former running joke.

1 hour ago, kat165 said:

The show runners have come out and said that baby Wolowitz will be treated basically the same as Mrs. W - heard but not seen. They will also not focus that much attention on her either.

Oh, I would really like to see Sheldon and Amy babysit!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, kat165 said:

I don't recall Emily (#2) breaking up with him. Does anyone?

I don't recall this happening on screen, the way I remember it was basically a chance remark Raj made in an early episode from this season.  I don't miss Emily at all.  I just caught a few reruns where she was a key player and she creeped me out.  

• Love 1
7 hours ago, willco said:

I thought the episode was fairly good. They will probably never match the earlier seasons in quality, but I still think the show is a lot better than most of the crap on tv nowadays. As for Penny and Leonard, I've known a lot of couples that still had frequent fights in the first few years of marriage, even if they dated a while. It just takes some longer to mellow and go with the flow.

I thought it was pretty good as well.  As for the fight I thought it was a fair fight, in that they were fighting over something real.  This wasn't just casual bickering that can get tiring to watch.  There was a genuine issue here.  Penny was trying to make her father happy by helping her brother and Leonard, completely understandably didn't want Penny's brother living with them, least of all long term!  I had to laugh at the final conversation when Penny said she was throwing Leonard under the bus so hard she'd win a prize.  I just did something similar to my husband.  We didn't want to go somewhere but I didn't want to admit that to my friend so I threw him under the bus and made it all his idea that we cancel.  He was ok with being thrown under that bus though - I think most couples do that to each other at least once in awhile.

• Love 6

I would too, Cherry. That would be funny. But really they could without really showing the baby. We can see one of those carry-all rocker things and then maybe her wrapped in a blanket. We never have to actually see her.

Thank you. It probably was said in passing. I usually tune out when Raj is involved. I rarely care for him or his storylines. And yeah, I really didn't like Emily either. I didn't mind so much the stuff she was into, I just don't like the actress.

If they want to put Raj with someone they should try to get back Evette the Vet. She was great. (But probably has too much taste and self-worth to date Raj, a spoiled, self-centered drain on any relationship).

• Love 1
On 2/4/2017 at 5:05 PM, CherryAmes said:

As for the fight I thought it was a fair fight, in that they were fighting over something real.

ITA. I will never understand people who think it is OK to agree to have someone come stay with them and their SO for an unknown amount of time, without talking to the SO first, just because the someone is "family." That is not a legit excuse. You're two people now, not one, and truth is, some people might not like your family or friends much, or to have them stay for an indefinite period. Show some respect. Comparing it to the TV room was ridiculous. Penny knew about it, and she could have said no at any time. 

• Love 3

That's why I liked the fight.  I am a lot older than Penny but I still have a hard time saying no to my Dad and with Penny we know she has a history of trying to win her daddy's love so it makes perfect sense that she'd go along with his ridiculous (let's face it) idea that Penny could get her ne'er do well brother a job with her company.  Then add in Leonard very reasonably having a major objection to the idea of housing that ne'er do well brother and you've got an argument on your hands!  Reading the earlier posts before seeing the show I had imagined it was silly bickering over nothing much but actually it was a fight I'd bet a lot of young couples had fought over the years!  One side trying to please a parent even if it means displeasing the spouse and the other side going "hell no"!

• Love 7

Yeah, it seems like there's a semi-universal "they're family, I shouldn't have to ASK" argument that goes around with lots of couples. And on the one hand, OK fine, I'll agree it's not necessarily an "ask" but it is definitely something that ought to be said to one's partner first. It's rude to say "my family is coming to stay indefinitely, deal". Even if Penny wanted to argue she shouldn't need Leonard's "permission" to have a relative come stay because that phrasing would be very possessive of him; at the same time, she should have warned him first "my brother is intending to do this and wants to stay with us while he does" and then they have a productive conversation about boundaries for if/when that happens before anybody agrees to anything. It's not the same thing as Leonard saying "your brother can never come here ever the end". But...again, Penny and Leonard ever had rational discussions, there'd be no show.

Also this is sort of a retread of the whole ex-boyfriend-on-the-couch episode. It's different since they're married, living together and it's a relative not an ex, but clearly they learned zero lessons from that incident. They are sucky communicators.

• Love 4

Penny's lucky that Leonard stood up to her.  Her brother doesn't have a great history of good behavior (drugs) and they could have ended up supporting the guy for months or years.  And didn't her parents want Penny to try to get the former drug addict on at her work for a pharmaceutical sales company?  I'm sure one background check on the guy would disqualify him for a job there, and also make Penny look bad.  It's just good sense to refuse to hire someone with a history of drug abuse, prison time, and recently out of rehab.

Instead of having Penny agreeing to let her brother move in, she could have told her father that she'd have to talk to Leonard about it first.  They'd argue about it because Leonard saw the pitfalls of the plan, and Penny could argue that maybe her brother would get a job at her company and do well there.  Leonard could point out that Penny has no need to continue to try to curry favor with her father because it's not her fault that his only son has so many problems. 

Amy could back Leonard up because of her experience with addiction studies, and Bernadette could remind Penny of the drug tests and the background check she had to pass before she could be hired at the company.

Finally, Penny calls her father and tells him that her brother can't stay with them.  After fumbling around trying to explain to her father why this is a bad idea, Leonard takes the phone, and doesn't do much better. 

Sheldon is monitoring the whole exchange on his emotion box:

Sheldon:  Amy, they're both afraid.  Why would they be afraid?
Amy:  Sheldon, Penny's father has transferred his disappointment over how his son turned out onto Penny.  She's the most successful person in their family.  He wants her to fix it.
Sheldon:  She's the most successful?  Oh my!  How is she supposed to fix her brother?  She can't even fill out her own tax returns, and you know how easy that is.  Really, is itemizing that difficult?
Amy shrugs
Sheldon:  Oh dear, we're about to have a drug dealer living across the hall from us!
Sheldon grabs the phone from Leonard.
Sheldon:  Hi, Mr. Penny's father?  This is Sheldon. <pause> Yes, That Sheldon.  Your son can't move in here.  I'm still on the lease and I just won't allow it.  <pause>  Why?  Well, I'll tell you why.  My girlfriend Amy works in addiction studies and <pause> Yes, I have a girlfriend, we live together and have coitus and all that stuff.  <pause>  Well!  It's true, and my girlfriend Amy has told me a lot about addiction, and I've learned that you're doing it all wrong.  You think that moving your son in with Penny and expecting her to get your son a job in a pharmaceutical company is going to help either of them?  For shame, sir!  It's like putting an alcoholic in a brewery.  You don't put a person with an addiction into a position where they're constantly exposed to the very substance that they're addicted to!  And expecting Penny to take over the care of your son?  When did she become the parent?  Penny?  Leonard?  Why are you looking at me like that?
Amy nudges Sheldon:  Why don't you let me talk to him?
Sheldon:  Why?  I'm just telling him what he needs to know.  <Sheldon checks the emotion box.> Why are you all so angry?  And there's something else.  There's something else here.  What else are you all feeling?
Amy:  It's embarrassment, Sheldon.  I'll explain it to you later.  Please let me have the phone.
Sheldon hands Amy the phone while looking at the others with a <hmpth>
Amy:  Hello, Mr. um, Penny's father.  My name is Amy. <pause>  Yes, I'm real.  Anyway, I've done extensive study in the field of addiction and I think I have some better options for you.  While it's true that I work in the lab, I also work very closely with people in the field.  I can talk with them and...

Sheldon, Penny, and Leonard move out in the hall.
Sheldon:  Why are you angry?  I merely told him what he needed to know.
Leonard:  Well, you were kind of abrupt.
Penny:  Oh, Sheldon.  I know you meant well, and my father needed to hear that.  I'm just worried that he'll, well, he'll blame me or be mad at me.  I don't know.  It's confusing.
Sheldon:  Penny, you're my friend.  I wouldn't have stepped in if you weren't, but I couldn't see how having your brother move in would be helpful to any of you.  Even without the emotion machine, I could see how worried you two were about it. 
Penny:  You're right, Sheldon.  I just need an extra push sometimes when it comes to my parents.
Leonard:  He's not even my father, but because of Penny, I hate to say 'no' to him.  But you and Amy helped us.  Thank you.
Group hug while Sheldon looks uncomfortable with the hug and then says:  How did Amy help?  I'm the one who told Mr. Penny's father 'no'.
Leonard:  Well, you did say 'no' and then left Amy to deal with him after that.
Sheldon:  Are you saying my help is less valuable that Amy's?  I have half a mind to opt out of this uncomfortable hug thing.
Penny (fondly):  Oh, shut up Sheldon.  You know we love you.  Now get with the group hug.

• Love 4

Helluva lot better that what they did write, zahdii, helluva lot better. Would've worked within the time frame as well. I love the "Mr....Penny's Father" because that's exactly how Sheldon & Amy would've done it.

"Oh call me Wyatt" "Okay Mr....Penny's Father Wyatt..." He's southern, we don't call authority figures and parents by their first names without a Mr. or a Miss/Mrs. In front of it.

• Love 1
On 2/3/2017 at 6:37 PM, chitowngirl said:

Maybe now that they cleared the air about Raj's relationships, they can get him a decent girlfriend. They should bring back the veterinarian

I agree.  I have been grumpy about the fact that they will give Raj a date or two, then there is an off-screen breakup or they just ignore the fact he had a connection with someone. That has been another missed opportunity. I think the audience would relate better again to Raj if we saw more of these interactions. 

On 2/3/2017 at 6:43 PM, HawaiiTVGuy said:

Was the person they were talking about in the beginning that triggered this road to self-exploration the janitor he had that impromptu date with?

I wondered this as well. I assume it was, but they glossed over that so quickly, it was hard to tell. 

• Love 2
On 2/3/2017 at 11:08 AM, Pop Tart said:

Leonard is still wearing hoodies with a various jackets over them. Sheldon is still layering a t-shirt over a longer sleeved shirt. Raj where's his sweater vests over button down shirts. Amy wears a sweater, blouse and skirt, ad infinitum. I get that their clothes are a shortcut for the viewer as to who they are, but it's been ten years?

I was just looking at old photos with my family recently. Almost all my casual wardrobe is the same now as it was in the photos and some of them are a good 10 years old (in fact some of it is still in my wardrobe from 10 years ago). Some of us just find what works for us (not from a fashion sense) and stick with it. 

• Love 7
On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 11:46 PM, OtterMommy said:

The episode with Raj and deaf Emily must not have been very memorable (for me at least) because I really can't place it..and I'm sure I've seen every episode.  Was it a while ago, when Raj still couldn't talk to girls while sober?

I didn't see where anyone had answered this yet.  Yes, it was while Raj couldn't talk to women sober.  It's why Penny set him up with a Deaf girl.

On 2/20/2017 at 6:48 PM, Katy M said:

I didn't see where anyone had answered this yet.  Yes, it was while Raj couldn't talk to women sober.  It's why Penny set him up with a Deaf girl.

Google pinpoints it as The Wiggly Finger Catalyst in season 5.