Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: Second Chances

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Talia al Ghul agrees to help Oliver take down Kovar, but her offer comes with a steep price. Meanwhile, Felicity attempts to hack the NSA to help free Diggle, but when her online efforts are flagged, she faces off against an unknown adversary; and Curtis tells the team about a female vigilante, Tina Boland, he uncovered online who has been wreaking havoc all over the country.

Absence does not make the heart grow fonder because, aside from all things Felicity Smoak, I didn't think much of this episode. Some of the dialogue was just plain bad. 

What DID Rene sign up for? Stop complaining, dude. 

However, Felicity & Friends was awesome. She, and this story line, is the ONLY thing keeping me around for the rest of this season. I do dislike that she didn't have a scene with Diggle since she was responsible for his release, but I'm intrigued by what's going to happen with her next. 

ETA: I suppose I should say my impressions of Tinah. I wasn't impressed or unimpressed. The entire character seems pointless. And I still see Tori from Saved By The Bell. Perhaps she'll become useful, but I'm not particularly interested in her. 

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 14

So Talia wants Oliver to live a dual identity, one side as Oliver Queen and one side as the vigilante.  Yeah, Oliver's the rebound for the al Ghul family, with the exception of Nyssa.

Dinah Drake is her real name?  So she should stick around.

All hail Big Belly Burger, and Wild Dog needs to hang out with a Wells.

• Love 2

A few quick thoughts:

Why couldn't we see Felicity visiting Diggle in prison? Or any scenes with those two? That was such a disappointment. 

I will say I think Felicity looked happy for the first time in a long time while she was hacking and I like that she has fans. Also liked Felicity/Rory. Felicity finally has a friend?! 

So far, I'm not liking Dinah as a permanent member of the team. Maybe stopping by a few times a season, but that's it. And I really don't want to hear that canary cry on a weekly basis. 

Liked Talia. Can she come to play in the present instead? 

And Oliver ... Can he please stop telling people who he is? Especially in a public place like that. Anyone could have just walked in.

• Love 14

Thank for giving me a preview of what Arrow looks like without Felicity.  

How is anything Felicity does with Helix or Pandora going to be played as dark?

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, BkWurm1 said:

How is anything Felicity does Helix or Pandora going to be played as dark?

Didn't we basically see that in Episode 410? Which frankly showed this show NEEDS the fabulous Goregous Ms Smoak?

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

How is anything Felicity does Helix or Pandora going to be played as dark?

I'm guessing cause it's a callback to her Hackvist days "Dark" Felicity.

Has Stephen Amell forgot how to act or what? I mean he was never Al Pacino but he looked totally wooden and bored out of his mind. He just phoned in his lines and the director was least bothered to get him to do better. 

• Love 17

I hope Felicity doesn't go whole hog back into the hacking. Aside from the legal danger, didn't she have to pay Neil Gaiman royalties for looking like his interpretation of Death? For pity's sake, she wore an ankh!

Isn't "Drake" the maiden name of Laurel and Sara's mother? Or am I mistaken? I know "Dinah" was Laurel's first name (re: George Thomas Seaver, Lynn Nolan Ryan). "Dinah Drake" is a little odd.

As for Dinah's future . . . meh. Why would you want somebody on par with Laurel? She wasn't that good at anything. She got the crash course on fighting from Nyssa. Now, if you looking for a replacement for the original Black Canary? That would be rough. Sara is a bonafide all-star. Bring her back, and you risk dinosaur stormtroopers marching through the streets if she leaves the Waverider, because nobody else can lead the team. Well, maybe Amaya, but she's still a newbie on that team.

And another thing . . . how many crimes were being committed in Central City when the particle accelerator exploded? I have lost track.

• Love 20

I really don't understand the writing for this show.  The second time the team even bumps into Tina (for this episode I'm sticking with Tina, next week I'll switch) she's killing a guy. Then they all fight off/kill the guys that come to attack her.  She runs off, they find her again when she plans on attacking Sonas, kills like half a dozen guys before she's knocked out by his power so the team saves her life by killing a bunch of guys and then they all agree to team up to take Sonas down for good so they storm the roof and the team kills about twenty goons and blows up a helicopter....but Tina killing Sonas would be crossing a line???????????  Rene was even going to apprehend her after she killed him and only stopped because Oliver stopped him.  I don't get what they were trying to do there at all. 

Was it just me or did SA seem kind of depressed in his scenes this episode?

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 23
7 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

So, what was Dinah's body count in this episode?  

Not sure but over all I think this was the most people killed in an episode since Havenrock.  Between flashbacks and present day all added up we had to be pushing like 40.  

• Love 2

I was so bored. I was so disappointed with no Diggle and Felicity scenes, not one. I like Talia. Once again for me they have failed with the newest version of BC. If it was not for this board I would not think that the name Dinah Drake would be significant. This was so bad.

Felicity's storyline is the saving grace for me.  I love Felicity, Rory, hacker fan and the little we had with Diggle and Chase. I agree SA looked bored or depressed in this ep.

• Love 13

So...Oliver shot a random helicopter out of the sky, who even knows what happened to the pilots and then turned around and lectured Tinah on killing. LMAO, show. You are terrible. 

This episode was especially parallel-y and anvil-y. Yikes. I did appreciate that they had Oliver and Tinah leave room for 10,000 Jesuses during their talk in the mayor's office, regardless of what happens (or doesn't happen) between them in the future.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 11

I decided to give this episode a "chance". My first Laurel-less episode I've watched. I wasted my time.

5 minutes in and they are already telling me why she is better then Siren?
tumblr_o0zzptDWWZ1tqoh77o1_400.gif 

Watching 40mins of them trying to force "Dinah" into Laurels skin?
tumblr_lx0bggQ2iR1qdlkgg.gif

Them trying to to be sneaky and use "Dinah Drake" as their scapegoat to bring in a new Black Canary?
giphy.gif

They think they jumped the shark when it comes to bringing back the dead? Well they totally jumped an entire whale with bringing in another Dinah who just happens to have the Canary cry and just happens to show up after Black Siren comes to town. And was "Tina" sooooooo deep undercover that they erased all files that referenced her real name? Even the CC captain erased her real name from his head? Gurl bye. 

• Love 11
1 minute ago, apinknightmare said:

So...Oliver shot a random helicopter out of the sky, who even knows what happened to the pilots and then turned around and lectured Tinah on killing. LMAO, show. You are terrible. 

This episode was especially parallel-y and anvil-y. Yikes.

What was anvil-y except for Tina's name being Dinah ... 

Just now, ladylaw99 said:

Advice to new BC stopping crossing your arms.

But that's like a requirement on the application!

Off note I love that Felicity effortlessly inspired others to take up her mantle while Oliver had to recruit Black Canary and then appeal to her multiple times to take the name.

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, Tazmania said:

What was anvil-y except for Tina's name being Dinah ... 

We were repeatedly hit over the head with how great Tinah is, we were repeatedly hit over the head with Oliver thinking he can save her (for reasons that don't quite make sense since he didn't even know the chick and let her reject him 100 times). There was the parallel of Oliver's flashback plot with Talia and his current recruitment of Tinah, the death of Tinah's "lover" being similar to Laurel's death for Oliver. 

Just repeated beatings on the head all over.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

It wasn't totally random since it was bringing in from Bludhaven the drug targeted at children and at first was shooting at them, but we do know that the pilots died since it went kaboom after Oliver swung around on it knocking down bad guys. 

Just now, BkWurm1 said:

It wasn't totally random since it was bringing in from Bludhaven the drug targeted at children and at first was shooting at them, but we do know that the pilots died since it went kaboom after Oliver swung around on it knocking down bad guys. 

Ah, okay. I tuned out during a whole lot of this episode, haha.

1 minute ago, calliope1975 said:

With Tinah and her birdie scream now in Starling City, the Windows and Doors guy is going to have a whole new revenue stream! Time for that new Mercedes! But I bet the Hub City Windows and Doors guy is going to be bummed. 

Maybe she's part of Olivers plans to stimulate the economy and create work before the next Mayoral election 

Edited by LeighAn
  • Love 13
3 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

After bailing on the show after 505, I saw good things about last week’s episode, watched it, liked it, and decided to give 5B a chance.

This week, all I can say is that I can’t take this show seriously when it treats Laurel as some “impossible standard” that none of the potential canaries could live up to. She was the most incompetent super hero ever, but apparently we’re supposed to forget that. If they were holding these women up to Sara’s Canary, I’d understand, but Laurel’s Canary? Nope!

As for Tina, I'm giving her a chance, but I'm not wowed so far. Frankly, I think this show needs to be subtracting characters, not adding them.

Come back next week haha This episode was always gonna suck. But the team going to Russia is bound to be good.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Ah, okay. I tuned out during a whole lot of this episode, haha.

Very easy to understand.  

Very underwhelming.  Very paint by numbers.  Lots of action with no weight to it.  Even as fun as Felicity's part was, she was out hacked and dissed by her number one fan.  Didn't love that part.  Points to Felicity for not blurting out she was also Overwatch.  

• Love 3
Just now, wonderwall said:

Come back next week haha This episode was always gonna suck. But the team going to Russia is bound to be good.

Yeah they got her whole back story pushed out in one episode so she can fit within the fabric of the team in what they see as 'seamlessly'.

Its not like they set up any story threads for her going forward.

• Love 2

Stephen looked miserable in the BBB scenes. He looked like he didn't want to make this episode. I can't help but think they were laughing inside with that ridiculous Laurel commentary about how she's supposedly the best ever. What the fuck? Do they really believe this crap?

• Love 4

I loved Talia.  Smart,  kickass and miles ahead of everyone else.

I was meh on Tina till Oliver said that she is his second chance. NOPE.  FELICITY IS HIS SECOND CHANCE.  Stupid, way to piss off

Olicity fans.

23 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I knew that it was the drug runners helicopter, but I wondered how many innocent bystanders got killed when it crashed on the street.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 8
8 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

The preview of course made it look like it was just Oliver and the masks going.  Not even a passing shot of Felicity.  

7 minutes ago, ladylaw99 said:

Now I know what the show would be without Felicity and Diggle. The scene at Big Belly Burger reminded me of the good times that OTA had there. The new trio lacked in so many ways. 

I have a hard time buying Oliver eating there two days in a row.  Not when he looked that grossed out the first time.   Or that he had severe stomach cramps.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1