Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: Second Chances

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

1 minute ago, johntfs said:

Dinah Drake was okay if a bit one-note.  At least Stephen Amell looked a bit downcast instead of like he was standing near dog poo the way tended to look around Katie Cassidy.

Honestly, the whole "we must have a Black Canary" comes off a little creepy to me.  It's rapidly leaving "I want to honor Laurel's sacrifice" and approaching "It puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."

Perhaps they're trying to set up the season 28 arc where Oliver, finally healing from the death of Felicity, falls for the daughter of Dinah Drake, who she named after her predecessor and her baby daddy's beloved distant cousin, Dinah Laurel Lance. There by fulfilling his comic destiny. 

I will consider myself to be psychic if Dinah hooks up with Quentin's nephew, Larry, and they have a daughter Oliver nicknames any variation of pretty bird. 

Wow, that just got creepier and creepier the longer I kept typing. 

• Love 15

Hi Barry!

Bye Barry!

So what's with all the small crossovers this week? Legends in CC, Cisco in CatCo and now Barry in Arrow. 

One thing that confused me: Isn't the whole point of the darkweb that you're anonymous and not tracable? What does that say about Felicity's hacker skills that she was found so easily? Did she even use TOR?

Edited by mrspidey
  • Love 7
52 minutes ago, Hiveminder said:

Perhaps they're trying to set up the season 28 arc where Oliver, finally healing from the death of Felicity, falls for the daughter of Dinah Drake, who she named after her predecessor and her baby daddy's beloved distant cousin, Dinah Laurel Lance. There by fulfilling his comic destiny. 

I will consider myself to be psychic if Dinah hooks up with Quentin's nephew, Larry, and they have a daughter Oliver nicknames any variation of pretty bird. 

Wow, that just got creepier and creepier the longer I kept typing. 

Ma'am, slowly back away from the keyboard.

• Love 5

I have to say, I'm really tired of Arrow episodes hitting us over the head with the episode title.  How many times was the term "second chances" used in this episode?

I'm not sure I care about Oliver any more. He keeps saying stupid things and doing stupid things. I also found it creepy the way Oliver rejected all these qualified female candidates until he found almost a clone of Laurel. And the Laurel I remember from watching 4 seasons of Arrow wouldn't have been "proud" of Oliver and Tina/Dinah at the end - she would've been screaming that Tina/Dinah stole her life!

My favorite part of this episode was Felicity meeting with the DarkWeb hacktivist, Kojo Sledgehammer, with Rory as backup - and Kojo turning out to be a Felicity clone (must be a theme) and fangirl, though she looked like a younger Root (from Person of Interest). We also learn that Felicity's former hacktivist name was Ghost Fox Goddess.

The actress who played Kojo, Kacey Rohl (25-year-old Canadian), had a cute twitter exchange with EBR...

Regarding the term "bashert" (used twice in this episode)...

Oliver: "She's a meta with the same power as Earth-2 Laurel?"
Rory: "If that isn't bashert, I don't know what is."
Oliver: "What?"
Rory: "'Bashert' means fate, destiny." 
.  .  .

Oliver: "She can focus the sound better than Black Siren, and she is more skilled at hand-to-hand. This is almost like - what was that word that you used?"
Rory: "Bashert." 

https://www.torchweb.org/torah_detail.php?id=129

Bashert is a Yiddish word that means "destiny". It is often used in the context of one's divinely predestined spouse or soulmate. It can also be used to express the seeming destiny of an auspicious or important event, friendship, or happening. In modern usage, Jewish singles will say that they are looking for their bashert, meaning they are looking for that person who will complement them perfectly, and whom they will complement perfectly.
I should point out that finding your bashert – your true soulmate - doesn't necessarily mean that your marriage will be trouble-free. Marriage, like everything worthwhile in life, requires dedication, effort and energy. Even when two people are meant for each other, it is possible for them to ruin their marriage. That is why Judaism allows divorce.

???!!!

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Diggle is already out on probation.  What is the point of this entire damn thing?!

To remove him from the A plot so Oliver can form a new team.  He doesn't need new teammates if he has Diggle at his side.  He's also bringing Adrian Chase into the story.  

• Love 10

I am really wondering what the wardrobe department was smoking this season. I thought they tore up Rene's sweater for a hobo look and was honestly wondering if we are in for a reveal that he's homeless and was to embarassed to ask Oliver for a bunk bed in the bunker. Turns out, it's sold that way. With this and BS's boots in the last episode they are making some very odd choices to say the least.

• Love 3

You know what bothered me the most about this episode? The way it ended, we don't see Dinah meeting Diggle or Felicity. Instead, the focus is on her meeting Oliver, Rene and Curtis in Hub City. That's why I liked how Roy was brought into the team - we got that "meet the only two people who matter" intro to Team Arrow.

And that rooftop fight scene felt like a "here's the new Team Arrow," with Oliver, Rene and Dinah fighting in the field and Curtis on comms while Felicity's off doing her own thing (with Rory as her support - that poor guy. I'm going to pretend that he decided to stay back on his own because he knew Felicity would need some support, like someone to bring her food.) and Diggle's in jail. And I have to say, it's not what I'm looking to see on Arrow after the first four seasons. It's fine for one episode, but I don't want to see this formula repeated weekly. 

• Love 19

This whole bashert thing makes me think that GA and BC could be set up as "soulmates" and Oliver ends up with Felicity just like Dawson and Joey called themselves soulmates but Joey ends up with Pacey.

I like that towards the end of the last two episodes, we've had Oliver/Felicity scene just talking to each other.  It's nice to see.

Edited by ComicFan777
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, tv echo said:

I have to say, I'm really tired of Arrow episodes hitting us over the head with the episode title.  How many times was the term "second chances" used in this episode?

I'm not sure I care about Oliver any more. He keeps saying stupid things and doing stupid things. I also found it creepy the way Oliver rejected all these qualified female candidates until he found almost a clone of Laurel. And the Laurel I remember from watching 4 seasons of Arrow wouldn't have been "proud" of Oliver and Tina/Dinah at the end - she would've been screaming that Tina/Dinah stole her life!

My favorite part of this episode was Felicity meeting with the DarkWeb hacktivist, Kojo Sledgehammer, with Rory as backup - and Kojo turning out to be a Felicity clone (must be a theme), though she looked like a younger Root (from Person of Interest). We also learn that Felicity's former hacktivist name was Ghost Fox Goddess.

The actress who played Kojo, Kacey Rohl (25-year-old Canadian), had a cute twitter exchange with EBR...

Regarding the term "bashert" (used twice in this episode)...

.  .  .

Oliver: "She can focus the sound better than Black Siren, and she is more skilled at hand-to-hand. This is almost like - what was that word that you used?"

???!!!

Honestly I took that to mean Comic destiny and the Black Canary Mantle not Oliver finding his soulmate future wife in the romantic sense. 

To be frank: Stephen and Julianas chemistry SUCKED. Not as bad as Stephen and Katies because Juliana is a better more likeable actress but still their was no sexual chemistry or tension there.

As others said he didn't smile most Ep, acted robotic and disinterested in almost all his scenes and he and Juliana seemed to have a car widths between them in most scenes.

Stephen only lighted up slightly more in his scene with Emily were she's was all giddy.

If they are testing or trying to anvil Tina and Oliver romantically like the theories out there... well they either forgotten to tell Stephen or he is as thrilled about it as he was being romantic with the last Black Canary.

If they can't get Stephen to muster even the slightest smile in his scenes with Tina I think selling a romance is going to be a challenge.

7 minutes ago, ComicFan777 said:

This whole bashert thing makes me think that GA and BC could be set up as "soulmates" and Oliver ends up with Felicity just like Dawson and Joey are soulmates but Joey ends up with Pacey.

I like that towards the end of the last two episodes, we've had Oliver/Felicity scene just talking to each other.  It's nice to see.

I could see that actually. It's a way to honor both relationships I suppose.

Also: Team Joey/Pacey and Jen was better then everybody else on the show.

• Love 5

I hope you are right that bashert is only referring to black canary mantle.  In the last scene with Oliver and Tina, I thought it looked like Tina had hearteyes for Oliver when she smiled but Oliver looked like he had poop in his pants and he didn't know when was a good time to leave.

Edited by ComicFan777
  • Love 8
14 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

And that rooftop fight scene felt like a "here's the new Team Arrow," with Oliver, Rene and Dinah fighting in the field and Curtis on comms while Felicity's off doing her own thing (with Rory as her support - that poor guy. I'm going to pretend that he decided to stay back on his own because he knew Felicity would need some support, like someone to bring her food.) and Diggle's in jail. And I have to say, it's not what I'm looking to see on Arrow after the first four seasons. It's fine for one episode, but I don't want to see this formula repeated weekly. 

One media reviewer snarked that the reason Rory was stuck back in the lair was because his superhero persona (unlike Rene or Curtis) required special effects, and they needed to use their sfx budget for the metahumans.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, ComicFan777 said:

I hope you are right.  In the last scene with Oliver and Tina, I thought it looked like Tina had hearteyes for Oliver when she smiled but Oliver looked like he had poop in his pants and he didn't know when was a good time to leave.

Possibly you could say she had heart eyes but it's a stretch for me personally in how I watched it. I saw it more as a Casablanca start of a beautiful friendship type moment then romantic.

But I get that you could take "your my second chance" and "Bashert" and turn that into romantic anvils.

Only problem is if the popular con census is that they are testing Tina and Oliver as a viable romantic option then they have once again potentially got themselves stuck with a chemistry problem and an actor who's not buying in.

But it's still early days I suppose. I guess we will have to see what happens from here on out.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Hiveminder said:

I think I've decided to head canon SA's acting this season as Oliver experiencing a depressive episode. 

But ... but, he's supposed to be most content this season! RME. That's what they tried to sell at the beginning of this season. Not exactly at his happiest, that was when he was with Felicity, but he's supposed to be most content.

I don't see contentment in Oliver. More constipation (thanks, @dtissagirl).

My biggest problem with DTinah is that she's a metahuman, for crying out loud! She doesn't fit in, like Rory, in a band of non-powered humans. I mean, why have the entire team? Why even have GA? Just send out DTinah and Rory and call it a day. 

• Love 11
Just now, ComicFan777 said:

I would like to think that Oliver had Rory stay behind because he wanted the leave the most invincible newbie (at least when he is in his suit) to protect Felicity.

Head canon accepted!

But in reality I think they needed Felicity to interact with someone this ep so Rory was the chosen one

Spoiler

If Rory really is a goner next week it makes sense that their building up Rory and Felicitys friendship now so it has a more emotional impact on Felicity afterwards since he's the one newbie who's tied to her the most.

• Love 5

I thought the "bashert" was a little trolly, but I do think they were using it in the general "destiny" way in order to explain away the absolute ridiculous "coincidence" that they were selling with the replacement for a Dinah with a canary cry being a Dinah with a canary cry, because people who don't read or know about comics and don't give a shit about canon (which according to MG is most of the audience) would probably be like...huh?

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 15

I'm less than 15 minutes into the episode, and these fools just transitioned to flashback by dollying the camera into a diner table and transitioning into manila folders onto a table in Russia and dollying out. I CANNOT WAIT FOR FLASHBACKS TO BE OVER SO THIS SILLINESS CAN STOP OH MY GOD.

I bet the new assistant director knows this is embarrassing as fuck, but he can't say anything because the director of this episode used to have his job, and he wants the same shot someday.

• Love 9

I love that Tina=Dinah Drake. I guess they are going to try and do a proper Black Canary.

I have to disagree that SA seemed upset in the last scene with Dinah. I didn't see that at all and I do think SA and JH have nice chemistry so far.

I love Kacey Rohl. Happily surprised to see her on this show.

Lexa Doig was great as Talia.

My main gripe is another week with no Thea.

7 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

I'm less than 15 minutes into the episode, and these fools just transitioned to flashback by dollying the camera into a diner table and transitioning into manila folders onto a table in Russia and dollying out. I CANNOT WAIT FOR FLASHBACKS TO BE OVER SO THIS SILLINESS CAN STOP OH MY GOD.

I bet the new assistant director knows this is embarrassing as fuck, but he can't say anything because the director of this episode used to have his job, and he wants the same shot someday.

It's been a while but I'm trying to remember are they coping a LOST thing? Like did LOST do the whole transition thing.

But yeah... it's got to go.

12 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

I miss the days when Arrow had experienced directors in Glen Winters, John Bering, etc. Looks like they're using more and more of one-off directors and promoting from within. The lack of experience is showing in scenes like the one mentioned above. But also in dealing with actors. Maybe a more experienced director can tell Stephen to at least ease up on the nOTP vibes or tell Emily to enunciate better. Or not have the newbies just standing/sitting around like they're in a high school play. 

• Love 10
1 minute ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I miss the days when Arrow had experienced directors in Glen Winters, John Bering, etc. Looks like they're using more and more of one-off directors and promoting from within. The lack of experience is showing in scenes like the one mentioned above. But also in dealing with actors. Maybe a more experienced director can tell Stephen to at least ease up on the nOTP vibes or tell Emily to enunciate better. Or not have the newbies just standing/sitting around like they're in a high school play. 

My favourite transitions ever were in 3x10 which you can see briefly here with Felicity and Olivers hand:

That was Glen Winter right?

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Agreed. Also the scene where they're transitioning from Tinah walking away from Team Arrow in the parking garage to the flashbacks, and Juliana Harkavy is moving toward the camera but has to do an awkward 90 degree turn to the right because they apparently needed that transition shot to match a bad guy walking across the camera in the flashbacks. Not to mention awkward hand shot transitions. 

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

But ... but, he's supposed to be most content this season! RME. That's what they tried to sell at the beginning of this season. Not exactly at his happiest, that was when he was with Felicity, but he's supposed to be most content.

I don't see contentment in Oliver. More constipation (thanks, @dtissagirl).

My biggest problem with DTinah is that she's a metahuman, for crying out loud! She doesn't fit in, like Rory, in a band of non-powered humans. I mean, why have the entire team? Why even have GA? Just send out DTinah and Rory and call it a day. 

I think they've confused contentment with resignation. It's okay. They're not so good with what words mean, these guys. 

• Love 10

I at least liked the last transition shot, from Oliver in the old suit to Oliver in the mayor's office, even though it also had it's awkward points (lighting was weird for Oliver near the window vs Oliver in the flashbacks, they weren't standing in similar enough positions for it to really click, etc.). I liked the idea of it and how it was executed a lot more the the others lately.

• Love 2

Just finished it. So whelmed. So so whelmed.

Also, her name being Dinah Drake only really works if the viewer knows that name is a comic book name, or else, it's just a really lame-o coincidence that they just managed to find a woman who happens to have a meta canary cry with Laurel's first name and Laurel's mother's name. And... if you need background information from a separate media to understand what's going on? You have failed this Writing 101.

• Love 21

Based on the schedule Stephen was filming this episode the Monday after they returned from EW Popfest....he seemed happy that weekend so I don't think the depressed look was a personal feel but rather how he actually felt filming those scenes. 

• Love 1

SMH……after a decent episode last we, we come back to this……

I could not even watch most of the episode, it was just that bad. Where is Thea, and Lance? I guess I should count my blessings that I had 5 minutes of Diggle. Wild Dog needs to go, and I’m really not interested in Tina. I will say I will take a meta over magic any day. AND CAN WE PLEASE STOP RECONNING PERFECT LAUREL. She was NEVER what they are trying to make her out to be. I don’t know if they are doing it to please a certain fan base or are they doing it to set up Dinah.

Why do I feel like she could end up being Laurel and Sara mom from the future. Don’t ask me how, its Arrow so……..details. I don’t think there is any chance she is another vagina for Oliver, so this would totally take her out of the running. Because you know, bedding sisters is one thing, but a mom too.

While I love the hacker girl, she really got on my nerves how she put down Felicity. I get it, it’s to set up the rest of Felicity story, but they could have found a better way.

Loved Felicity and Rory. I just hate that his power is magic, but I really like him.

Going to the bitterness thread for the rest.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

She does. So do the reporter and Talia imo, LOL

I think I've watched so many hours of both Lexa Doig and Carly Pope that I can't see it, but man, it was all I could see in Harkavy.

But I do find it funny that they hired 3 brunettes with similar bone structure, yeah.

3 hours ago, ComicFan777 said:

I am really interested in Felicity's dark arc.

It seems like they're pushing her a bit toward Oliver's situation in Season One.  She just has a way bigger list.  For my part I don't really need to see Felicity "go dark."  I think it would be cool to see her getting her Leverage on.  Personally, I'd like to see her refocus the team's activities off of street criminals and more toward people and corporation that make life suck on a larger scale.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, insomniadreams88 said:

ITA about the rooftop scene -- in fact, much of the episode felt like a backdoor pilot for a show I do not want to watch. I'm not here for the newbies, guys. I don't care how much you show of them.

1 hour ago, LeighAn said:

Stephen only lighted up slightly more in his scene with Emily were she's was all giddy.

No lie -- that was adorable.

• Love 14
6 minutes ago, KirkB said:

More than anything else I think I'm really curious about Oliver's text to Barry. "Hey, I'm on the phone with your Captain. Can you convince him I'm the real Green Arrow?"

"And do it so fast, I'm not sure this text will have actually reached you yet." No, seriously, I know Barry's fast, but it sometimes takes longer for a text to send from my phone than that entire exchange did. There must be really good cell service in that Big Belly Burger and wherever Barry was. 

Also, good thing no one overheard Oliver on the phone saying he's the Green Arrow in that very public place? Thinking about it, Oliver really was sloppy with his secret identity in this episode.

• Love 1

Felicity hacking and being an adorable nerd was the best. 

Lexa Doig being Talia was fucking amazing,  but that might be my Andromeda love shining through,  don't care Lexa is the best,  can I please get her in present day?  Maybe even a scene with Nyssa that'd be nice. 

Where exactly is Thea?  I like her so much more than Curtis and Wild Dog.  It's not fair. 

• Love 10
3 hours ago, tv echo said:

Regarding the term "bashert" (used twice in this episode)..

.  .  .

???!!!

It would be really in poor taste if they introduced Tinah as a romantic soulmate with a Jewish term when so much has been made of Felicity being Jewish (as much as they make of anyone, that is)

2 hours ago, apinknightmare said:

I thought the "bashert" was a little trolly, but I do think they were using it in the general "destiny" way in order to explain away the absolute ridiculous "coincidence" that they were selling with the replacement for a Dinah with a canary cry being a Dinah with a canary cry, because people who don't read or know about comics and don't give a shit about canon (which according to MG is most of the audience) would probably be like...huh?

Yeah, Oliver certainly only had the context of "perfect meant to be coincidence" 

I've never heard the term before and even after I check closed caption it still sounded to me like they were trying to say"Batshit" which was pretty much how I was feeling about the story line.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 16

I think the arc they're setting up for Felicity, that she's going all Dark Web and taking down these politicians with the facts! seemed like a good idea back in the summer and maybe also in October when they were writing this episode but if the past three months have taught us anything, it's that too many Americans don't care about what bad things people have done or are about to do as long as what they're saying fits their mindset.

I'm trying to figure out why Talia worked so well for me and I'm just meh on DTinah.  Partly because Lexa Doig is a better actress, partly because they weren't trying to shove Talia down my throat.

I will say, however, it worked very well for the comic fanboys.  I think it would but I'm surprised at just how much.

I guess the al Ghul girls both go to the same hairdresser because wow, those hairstyles are similar

8 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

The end scene was slightly more hopeful Oliver having a conversation with broody Oliver.

I'll be really interested to see how the non Olicity audience reacts to them. Was like watching paint dry! Imagine them in a relationship!

I think it will be acceptable to most people if they go there, especially since they're so back burnering Felicity this season that the special thing  EBR&SA  have is barely on screen any more.. It's really hard to tell with chemistry though.  I think Lucifer/Chloe have anti-chemistry but a lot of people like them.

3 hours ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

Did anyone else thought it was creepy that Curtis said the only thing missing was the blonde hair? That was so weird for me.

Everything about her foreshadowing was creepy, but I did like the explanation for how she got her canary cry.

Spoiler

From the extended promo for next week, I think she does get the blonde wig

Spoiler

.  How is it that everyone in Central City didn't become a metahuman?

3 hours ago, Sunshine said:

To remove him from the A plot so Oliver can form a new team.  He doesn't need new teammates if he has Diggle at his side.  He's also bringing Adrian Chase into the story.  

Both Diggle and Felicity have been removed from most of the A plots this season so they can highlight the n00bs. It's not working for me.

2 hours ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Since Rory stayed behind of the Super Special Canary Hunt, it looks like he's going to be the disposable team member this season, which makes me sad because I like him the best.  But send DTinah (love the name) and anyone else out.  It diminishes what Oliver does when you have metahumans who can just fix everything like that.

2 hours ago, dtissagirl said:

Juliana Harkavy reminds me of Lisa Edelstein, like, A LOT. It's freaking me out how much.

I hope not!!! What I chiefly remember about Edelstein is that on House, she lobbied and lobbied and lobbied to get her character made into House's love interest so she could be the co-star, and yeah, that worked out really well for the show.

• Love 1

Finally saw a gif of the final scene with Oliver and Tinah (thanks jbuffy) and as an added bonus she had the Olicity scene in 5x05 next to it. 

Possibly some heart eyes from JH, or just super friendly ones I guess. Nothing really overt.

But SA, that's a different story. The expression was less than enthusiastic, but it was the posture that I noticed more. His posture was very straight and business like. Not uncomfortable but certainly not relaxed.

Compared to that scene with Felicity, his shoulders were down and he was leaning towards her. 

I know the context of the scenes are completely different, but if they were going with instant connection with Tinah they either didn't tell SA or he didn't care. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

hope not!!! What I chiefly remember about Edelstein is that on House, she lobbied and lobbied and lobbied to get her character made into House's love interest so she could be the co-star, and yeah, that worked out really well for the show.

LOL I meant physically, very similar bone structure, similar hair styles, even similar voices. Nothing deeper than that.

27 minutes ago, ComicFan777 said:

I was thinking Tina had heart eyes for Oliver particularly in the top-left pic from here:
http://queensarrow.tumblr.com/post/156710075694

As someone who is basically resigned to O/T happening next season and has been dreading seeing the two together, I have to say I actually got nothing from those two. No heart eyes or anything. I mean, it's a little early for them anyway so I wouldn't rule it out. But I'm not sitting here wowed or worried by their connection or chemistry. The scene was just...there. 

31 minutes ago, ComicFan777 said:

I was thinking Tina had heart eyes for Oliver particularly in the top-left pic from here:
http://queensarrow.tumblr.com/post/156710075694

I saw it more as what happens when an actor knows something BIG is coming - the "Dinah Drake" reveal - and you can see it in their performance. Like a, "I know something you don't but you and the audience are about to find out" moment. (It's like when TV shows love to foreshadow a death for 35+ minutes of an episode before it happens. No one is fooled.)

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

I saw it more as what happens when an actor knows something BIG is coming - the "Dinah Drake" reveal - and you can see it in their performance. Like a, "I know something you don't but you and the audience are about to find out" moment. (It's like when TV shows love to foreshadow a death for 35+ minutes of an episode before it happens. No one is fooled.)

That kind of struck me too, mostly because I noticed that Pandora was slipped in like it wasn't a 'moment'.