Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E17: Hahai i nā pilikua nui (Hunting Monsters)

• Start Topic

This episode just didn't hold my interest.  They only semi-surprise was that the daughter was still alive.  But even that wasn't a surprise by the time we saw her.  

Any bets as to whether we ever see Alicia again?  I'm going with no.

*sigh* I spent two thirds of this episode muttering 'DNA was a partial match - DNA was a partial match' that combined with the intro carefully bringing up Sienna again was enough to make sure the surprise wasn't a surprise. Also: if a plot requires not one but two evil psychopath masterminds in order to work it might be a tad over-cooked.

• Love 7

So what exactly was Dr. Grey's plan if Alicia just decided to kneecap her and turn her back over to HPD?

I loved the opening though. Short and sweet. Every cop at HPD is on the ball, even the one who looks like he works in bylaw enforcement.

After last week's argument over what exactly constituted ways and means and where 5-0's jurisdiction extends to we can now see Wisconsin is on the list as Steve is able to lead a raid there entirely by himself.

Weird to see Dog the Bounty Hunter just popping up in the background from time to time. Also weird to see what's his name from the E Street Band, whom we may or may not know unless they kept constantly dropping his name and why he was famous.

Loved the MacGyver reference! The Phoenix Foundation is MacGyver's outfit and last week's episode tied into 5-0's ongoing plot. I did find it a little strange that Chin casually drops the Phoenix reference even though they're supposed to be super-duper secret. There's ways to make it work I guess.

1 hour ago, dwmarch said:

So what exactly was Dr. Grey's plan if Alicia just decided to kneecap her and turn her back over to HPD?

I loved the opening though. Short and sweet. Every cop at HPD is on the ball, even the one who looks like he works in bylaw enforcement.

After last week's argument over what exactly constituted ways and means and where 5-0's jurisdiction extends to we can now see Wisconsin is on the list as Steve is able to lead a raid there entirely by himself.

Weird to see Dog the Bounty Hunter just popping up in the background from time to time. Also weird to see what's his name from the E Street Band, whom we may or may not know unless they kept constantly dropping his name and why he was famous.

Loved the MacGyver reference! The Phoenix Foundation is MacGyver's outfit and last week's episode tied into 5-0's ongoing plot. I did find it a little strange that Chin casually drops the Phoenix reference even though they're supposed to be super-duper secret. There's ways to make it work I guess.

Given the context of where Dog showed up (the grand opening of Flippa's shrimp truck), the fact that his family lives in Hawaii, & the fact that it's already been quite well established that Dog & his family are friends of Five-0, I don't think it was that strange where he popped up. Now if he'd been in the Wisconsin part of the story, that would've been strange.

That was Max Weinberg from the E Street Band (& Conan O'Brien's band on NBC). This time, though, he was playing himself. He's been in 2 other H50 episodes playing a character called Norm, who was a gun shop owner & gun ownership rights advocate. He was in the reboot of the Classic H5O ep Hookman, from S3 (as I remember), & Kuka ʻawale (Stakeout), from S5, as the character.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment.
  • Love 1

Also, how did she get Sienna's blood? We didn't see any bandages on Sienna but okay. So she just waltzed to that log-cabin in Wisconsin, knocked and told creepy guy: 'Hi, I need some blood from the woman you've abducted 5 years ago in order to taunt her mother to come after you - would you be so obliging, please?'

• Love 4

I knew the prisoner - the guy who supposedly killed Sienna? - would kill himself with the ballpoint pen, so how did these law enforcement people not know it? They are so trusting.

Did Alicia actually kill the crazy woman or did maybe Steve come back for some reason and shot her dead?

• Love 2

Is there a reason she called 911, rather than Steve who just left her house 10 minutes before? I mean, she calls Steve, says "she's here" or "she's at my house", he turns right around and done! No, she calls 911, asks them to send police and have them call Steve, and would still have to explain the situation to them. Steve would have been there and killed Madison in that amount of time!

• Love 5
22 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

Why would Alicia's DNA be in a database?

Perhaps because she was an FBI agent/profiler, in case she dies under deep cover in the line of duty. I think I read/heard once (at least) that CIA operatives have their DNA stored for the same/a similar reason.

21 hours ago, Trey said:

I knew the prisoner - the guy who supposedly killed Sienna? - would kill himself with the ballpoint pen, so how did these law enforcement people not know it? They are so trusting.

Did Alicia actually kill the crazy woman or did maybe Steve come back for some reason and shot her dead?

You've got me on the first paragraph; especially since it's at least the second time someone has used "death by ballpoint pen" on the show (as I'm pretty sure was said upthread, Gabriel Waincroft--Chin's criminal brother-in-law & his niece Sara's father--did the same thing to HPD Internal Affairs investigator Coughlin [who was out to get Chin, for a number of years, for allegedly being a corrupt cop] a season or two ago). They also used this method on an episode of Law & Order (although the person who stabbed himself--the suspect--survived) perhaps it was an homage, of sorts, to Elisabeth Röhm's having been on that show although I can't remember if she was still on the show when the pen stabbing happened.

Nobody knows, yet, who shot Dr. Gray (the crazy woman), or even if someone else was shot, somehow. The actress who plays Alicia is supposed to be back in next week's episode (which was mentioned upthread), so pretty much everyone who knows that is assuming we'll find out what happened with that then.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add some information.
  • Love 1

I agree with many of the comments here.  We called it being the daughter the moment they said "preliminary partial match" on the DNA.  We knew the prisoner was going to kill himself with the pen as soon as they sent it to him.  

• Love 2

I'm pretty sure every crime show ever has killed someone via ballpoint pen. As they rolled it into the tray I was screaming "CRAYONS! Murderers only get crayons!!"

If I was Lynn-of-the-bangs, I'd be very worried about bambi-eyed-Alicia.

I also thought the daughter looked no worse for wear. (well, relatively.) It was nice of psychopath#2 to allow her access to her Vidal Sassoon and a blow dryer. It had been three years at least, yes?? The daughter should have at least been a little gaunt, and pretty F-ed up from being locked in a room that long. But nope - jumps right up to hug mom - no second guessing herself about it being a hallucination - nothing.

I thought Eliz Rohm did a great job as sociopath-tourist.

• Love 7

Unless pen-in-the-neck is some sort of TV trope and that doesn't work as an effective method of death in real life (I assume this is not the case), having a host of law enforcement people actually give anyone, ever, a pen, is beyond crappy writing.

All I could think about during the teary Alicia-Sienna reunion was how I can't come up with any reason for a guy to hold a young woman in a cabin in the middle of nowhere for 3 years, that wouldn't involve about seven hundred different traumas for the young woman. I mean, great that she was alive and they were reunited but it's better to not think too much about what sort of things would have happened to a young woman in that situation in real life.

Unless Alicia, like Hamilton, chose to throw away her shot (which I'd peg at unlikely, but who knows), next episode will be interesting. I would find her a much better match for Steve also but heaven knows that'll never happen.

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, JessDVD said:

Unless pen-in-the-neck is some sort of TV trope and that doesn't work as an effective method of death in real life (I assume this is not the case), having a host of law enforcement people actually give anyone, ever, a pen, is beyond crappy writing.

Careful what you're asking for: Link leads to TV Tropes - proceed at your own risk if you have a couple of hours to waste

Does it work? A rather distressing Google search would point to the answer being 'Yes, it does.'

16 hours ago, illdoc said:

I think we deal with the radioactive material in this week's episode, so not too much time will be spent wrapping up this storyline (much like how we spent 5 minutes rescuing Chin from Mexico).

Yes, the major storyline in this week's/tomorrow night's episode deals with the discovery of the missing uranium they started mentioning a few weeks back.

On 2/22/2017 at 4:22 PM, illdoc said:

I think we deal with the radioactive material in this week's episode, so not too much time will be spent wrapping up this storyline (much like how we spent 5 minutes rescuing Chin from Mexico).

I'm not following MacGyver, I did hear Lieutenant Kelly name drop the Phoenix Foundation, are they supposed to finish up the story over there? All I heard is that Kono and Kamekona are supposed to cross over at some point.

6 hours ago, Raja said:

I'm not following MacGyver, I did hear Lieutenant Kelly name drop the Phoenix Foundation, are they supposed to finish up the story over there? All I heard is that Kono and Kamekona are supposed to cross over at some point.

No, the storyline involving Mac & Jack from MacGyver & Chin, Kono, & Kamekona--& only in a MacGyver ep, not both shows like the last crossover in S2--is a completely different storyline. In the MacGyver ep, Mac & Jack (& apparently their team) go to Hawaii to help with relief efforts following what's apparently supposed to be a major earthquake on the big island. Mac & Jack team with Chin & Kono to rescue a group of government scientists trapped in a building about to collapse. While they're trying to rescue the scientists, a dangerous group is using the earthquake chaos as a distraction, to try & steal the top secret weaponry the scientists were working on (like the fake tsunami some former military--I think--guys concocted in S1, to steal money they felt they were owed because they weren't given credit they were due for a drug bust they worked on *&* they were discharged from the service without their pensions/other money they felt they were due). This airs in the March 10th ep of MacGyver.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add some more info.
On 2/18/2017 at 2:41 PM, Trey said:

On 2/19/2017 at 11:23 PM, betsyboo said:

I'm pretty sure every crime show ever has killed someone via ballpoint pen. As they rolled it into the tray I was screaming "CRAYONS! Murderers only get crayons!!"

I know, right??  Same here.  As soon as they handed over the pen, I shook my head and mumbled to the cats, "He's gonna kill himself with that pen."

On 2/22/2017 at 1:51 PM, betsyboo said:

Also: I kept getting tripped up on the daughter's name. Sienna Brown. So in my head that translated to Burnt Sienna crayons. Am cray-cray.

Also:  Dr. Grey.  I thought there was going to be some shocking reveal of a complicated plot where Brown and Grey were in cahoots together or something, and those fake names were part of the conspiracy.  I probably spent more time thinking about their names than the writers did.

• Love 2

It's funny, I don't like Alicia all that much, but she has about 3000% more chemistry with Steve than Lynn does. I don't get it, as the actress who plays Lynn has been good in other roles, but holy shit, she is godawful on this show. She and Steve have zero chemistry and she seems to be on the show just to be eye candy. It's kind of gross, really. 

Edited by Brian Cronin
"She and Steve," not "Her and Steve"
  • Love 2