Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: We Can Be Heroes

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

35 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

I think the show just has absolutely no clue what to do with James now that he's not the love interest, so they defaulted to "making him a superhero will make him more interesting...RIGHT?" 

Which is maddening because the answer is so obvious: return him to his photojournalist roots and have him and Kara team up for some investigative journalism. But wait, that would mean Kara can't be glued at the hip to Mon-El 24/7...and we all know we can't have that!

That wouldn't even work since they inexplicably gave him Cat Grant's job (or at least, her office) - he has no reason to be in the field/out of the office at all.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Miss Dee said:

J'onn and M'gann were very sweet. They've got a treasure trove with David Harewood. I wondered why they kept their human forms on their home planet (real reason being the special effects budget), but I fanwanked this was their subconscious way of distancing themselves from the memories they must have been overwhelmed with at that moment.

Personally, I'd love it if they didn't always appear in costume when they do change back. (For one thing, why does M'gann's outfit look just like J'onn's? Is that some kind of martian uniform?) They should show them all martianed up but in regular clothes sometime.

• Love 1

Really, everyone was kind of an idiot in this episode.

We have Kara saying ridiculous things like "You cant be a hero if you don't have powers!" when she regularly fights aliens with her sister and her DEO co workers, plus she just crossed over into another universe next to hers where one of the biggest bad asses around is a guy whos power is shooting things with a bow and arrow  and beating people up. I think she was going for a more "you have zero training and no combat experience", which is a TOTALLY legitimate issue, but she phrased it in a way that made her sound really full of her alien self. Which is totally out of character for Kara!

Then we have James, who keeps running around getting into trouble (and almost got Winn shot last week), and acting like a big dumbass who seems like he more wants power and glory than actually being a hero. Really, I would be alright with him becoming a hero because he's tried of being second banana to his superhero friends, or he was inspired by them to fight crime, but cant they show him getting some more training or equipment? Or looking into becoming a cop or something? It just seems like one day he randomly said "I'm gonna become a superhero now bitches!" and ran out in his stupid costume and started punching people.

Lesser idiots, but idiots none the less include Winn, for lying to his boss and helping James continue carrying out his secret crusade behind his friends and co workers backs, and Mon-El, who refuses to listen to Kara (although, Kara, you gotta stop micromanaging your team!) and just got his superass captured. At least James doesn't have powers, what's your excuse? And, yes, its pretty clear he just wants to be a hero because he's into Kara. Everyone needs to reevaluate their priorities.

That being said, I liked all the stuff with J'onn, and I loved him asking Kara and Alex to stay with him while he was going on his brain trip. And Live Wire is a good villain, and I liked the twist that the bad guy had kidnapped her, and she and Kara briefly teaming up was cool to see. However, I do feel like that's going to bite Kara in the ass one day. What the scientist guy was doing to Live Wire was clearly wrong, but she's still a dangerous criminal.

I know what you mean about having an arch nemesis being stressful Kara. I too have an arch nemesis. Some jerk in my neighborhood just keeps parking in my parking spot for short periods of time! The fiend!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Trini said:

The producers are just really unimaginative and/or uninterested when it comes to James' role in the show. It's really disappointing.

I had a big rant in the Jimmy Olsen thread about what they could do with him, but I also think he could be interesting as a bit of a gray character. Lena Luthor is filling the role of a gray character a bit right now, but it would be interesting to have James in those shoes too. How does someone balance being in charge of a news company like CatCo with being personally connected to the superheroes and secret agents they are reporting on? It would allow Jimmy to work out some of his frustrations with not being a super by doing exposés or flirting with exposing secrets, and that provides the tension of where his loyalties lie - to his job (being successful and recognized and feeling powerful), or to his friends.

• Love 3

Dude, you are in charge of a multi-billion dollar media conglomerate.  Your days and nights should be overflowing with important things to do.  You are surely in contact with the richest, most famous, and most influential people in the world.  Your work and social life must be so over-booked I can't see how you have even five minutes to go hang out at the DEO, let alone galavant around every night as the Guardian.

I'll keep saying it until one of the writer's listens to me - James has a lot of other potentially awesome story available that is not being the Guardian. Have him realize it's dumb and cut your losses.

Being the head of a multi-billion dollar media conglomerate is a superpower already! Which stories are covered and how they are presented sway public opinion, influence law, and shape the future. Isn't that more important, in the big picture, than tripping a diamond thief running out of a jewelry store, ffs? Campaign to get more cops on the street, if that's the issue.

Working his position is better even just backing up his friend Supergirl. When Cat was around, we saw more of how she created Supergirl's image, from her name (!), to her initial "dangerously clumsy" rep, to National City's hero. Or contrast J Jonah Jameson as Spiderman's bane. With the move to the CW, they've completely lost the leverage effect CatCo has, and ignored the power James should be wielding.

Edited by ahisma
  • Love 8

What I find especially frustrating about this Guardian mess is that it seems like we've been watching the same thing play out on the Flash.  Here we have Jimmy who feels compelled to suit up and fight crime for, uh, reasons.  On Flash there's Wally, who was so desperate to get the powers he had in an alternate timeline that he literally tried to walk in front of traffic to get them.  In both cases too, they've basically had the rest of the team holding them back for equally vague reasons.  At least with Wally, I feel like becoming Kid Flash was his purpose on the show in the first place - the writers just didn't execute the story in a way that didn't make him look like an idiot.  Jimmy really does feel like they are at Plan B or C for his character, and nothing seems to be working.  I agree that it would almost be better to have his role on the show be Kara's CatCo work partner, or just transfer him back to Metropolis.

• Love 1
On 1/31/2017 at 1:43 AM, RachelKM said:

BSC Scientist: Did you know that most scientist experiment on the themselves first?

Me: That's not true.

Have you ever read a comic?  ;)  This is definitely S.O.P. for scientists in all iterations of the Marvel and DC universes.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, ACW said:

Have you ever read a comic?  ;)  This is definitely S.O.P. for scientists in all iterations of the Marvel and DC universes.

Well, yeah... but even then is mostly just the villains.  The heroes who get caught up in experiments are usually accidental (Captain America notwithstanding).  :) 

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 1

I bet Kara stays madder longer at James longer than at Mon-el. Can't have Her mad at the frat boy eating up others screen time for too long. He's superpowerd he gets to be a hero he's not one of us puny humans according to Kara. Seriously Though she doesn't get to decide who's a hero.

• Love 2

Well, I don't think Kara is saying every person who is fighting evildoers HAS to have super-hero type powers.  I think she is basically saying that to James because she cares about him and doesn't want his skinny ass fried by one of these supervillians.   He may be a black belt and stuff, but hasn't had nearly the training and experience of say, her sister, and many others there at the DEO (and/or superhero-types from other Earth's). 

She just doesn't want someone she knows and cares for to wind up getting hurt or dead.  That's what I think she meant by that speech.  Yes, James, you are are an adult and can do what you want.  Guess you can also choose to be blown to smithereenies by supernasties then too.  At least it would solve a problem for the writers as to what to do with him.  ;)

Am not feeling the Mon-El and Kara "are they or aren't they" stuff either.   But darnitall, I really like him.  I enjoy his goofiness and one liners.  I think it would be nice to see more of his SHiT scenes.  (i.e. Superhero in Training).   Remember even with Kara having her superhero powers, she had to be trained to fight some of these otherworldly baddies.  It would be fun seeing Mon-El go through his training too.

Also liked scientist-evildoer's line of going onto Shark Tank.  Heh.

The episode had it's flaws, but it still entertained me.

• Love 2
On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 9:15 PM, Primal Slayer said:

I swear these writers are trying to make us hate James, him being annoyed by Mon-El wanting to suit up was lame. I would be on James' side if they hadn't made him into such a glory hog. But his whole "I am more Guardian then James", stop ripping off Batman. But they have Kara totally forget that Alex is involved in plenty of these big fights and she is a human.

Alex is a trained agent, which is a whole different than a newspaper reporter. 

This is a ridiculous portrayal of Jimmy Olsen.  A well muscled tough black guy who wants to fight crime and be a hero?

And his hero complex is irritating.  He's mentioned it too many times that Kara is a hero and that he wants to be a hero.  Most heroes don't mention it. 

• Love 2
Just now, Jordan27 said:

This is a ridiculous portrayal of Jimmy Olsen.  A well muscled tough black guy who wants to fight crime and be a hero?

And his hero complex is irritating.  He's mentioned it too many times that Kara is a hero and that he wants to be a hero.  Most heroes don't mention it. 

James is trained. He is a black belt. He could probably take Alex on in hand2hand combat.

1 minute ago, Primal Slayer said:

James is trained. He is a black belt. He could probably take Alex on in hand2hand combat.

Sorry, but having a black belt does not make one trained to fight crime or bad guys.  TV and movies have created the false premise that everyone with a black belt is Bruce Lee.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Jordan27 said:

Sorry, but having a black belt does not make one trained to fight crime or bad guys.  TV and movies have created the false premise that everyone with a black belt is Bruce Lee.

It doesnt make automatically qualified to be a fight crime but he isn't going into the field totally clueless. He also spent x amount of years around Superman. He isnt new the scene, he's been through this all before. Plus in tvland, having a blackbelt is basically like being Bruce Lee. We arent talking about the real world here, we dont have a Supergirl.

Edited by Primal Slayer
  • Love 3

No way could James take Alex in hand to hand. When she first started training Kara in the fight room, she told her when she started, she spent the first 5 months training for 12 hours a day. That's way more intense than any Karate training.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, kalamac said:

No way could James take Alex in hand to hand. When she first started training Kara in the fight room, she told her when she started, she spent the first 5 months training for 12 hours a day. That's way more intense than any Karate training.

Besides, I don't think she was bluffing when she told Winn that she knew multiple ways to torture him using just her index finger.

• Love 8
On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 8:44 PM, Primal Slayer said:

It doesnt make automatically qualified to be a fight crime but he isn't going into the field totally clueless. He also spent x amount of years around Superman. He isnt new the scene, he's been through this all before. Plus in tvland, having a blackbelt is basically like being Bruce Lee. We arent talking about the real world here, we dont have a Supergirl.

No one said he was clueless and being around Superman does not help him fight real crime.  But, with Supergirl and the gov't on our side, he really isn't needed. 

Plus, the character seems like he's in this for himself and not really fighting crime.

• Love 2
On 16/02/2017 at 10:38 PM, Jordan27 said:

I mostly want to know how the hell he has the time. He's supposed to be running Catco but also runs around the city in a mask fighting crime. It constantly suspends my disbelief that Oliver Queen gets away with no sleep but I generally put it down to his support network in the Mayor's office. And he's often shown as being late, running out on meetings and missing big events. But Jimmy can run a multinational media organisation part time? As if Kara's old-school 1980s newspaper editor wasn't bad enough.

• Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 7:42 PM, sugarbaker design said:

So M'Gann has been imprisoned for weeks, with no due process, just because Jonn says so?!  The gang needs a civics lesson.

Hey, they did it to Max last season (God, I miss him), so no surprise they do the same to her.

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 8:20 PM, Lady Calypso said:

Even in just this show, see our lovely Alex Danvers and her girlfriend. They have no powers and yet they still kick ass. So it makes no sense for Kara to dismiss Jimmy because he's human.

Alex and Maggie at least have training.  That's probably why Kara doesn't worry about them as much.

• Love 2
On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 7:44 PM, Star Aristille said:

Hey, they did it to Max last season (God, I miss him), so no surprise they do the same to her.

At least they had more of a reason to do it to Max.  He'd spent weeks and even months actively devising ways to hurt and even kill Kara, and they had good reason to believe he'd do so again (and he certainly did try again as soon as they released him).  M'gann, on the other hand, was completely innocent and harmless and was only locked up because J'onn had a (very valid) grudge against the rest of her people, despite her being very sickened and disgusted by their actions toward his people.