Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Codependence Day

Drogo
  • Start Topic

Karl's attractive?  Karl has huge ears and a dopey face.

The problem with this show is that these people have real legit jobs and even career aspirations so they have something to lose.  Getting drunk and hooking up is as good as it will get.  No one's going to tear off a chunky sweater in a strip mall parking lot and brawl.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

How do you rent a house with a bunch of people each summer knowing that it's party time and THEN get pissed at them for staying up all night while you're trying to sleep!?!?  Why even rent a party house if you're going to act like it's normal life??

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, gunderda said:

How do you rent a house with a bunch of people each summer knowing that it's party time and THEN get pissed at them for staying up all night while you're trying to sleep!?!?  Why even rent a party house if you're going to act like it's normal life??

oh once upon a time there was a borrowed "party house" and someone's girlfriend decided she was tired at midnight.  the rest of us went on with our trivial-pursuit-wine-cooler-drinking-business (1987, people...) until we got too loud and said girlfriend CALLED THE COPS ON US FROM UPSTAIRS.  sooo not cool!!!!

• Love 6
44 minutes ago, teapot said:

oh once upon a time there was a borrowed "party house" and someone's girlfriend decided she was tired at midnight.  the rest of us went on with our trivial-pursuit-wine-cooler-drinking-business (1987, people...) until we got too loud and said girlfriend CALLED THE COPS ON US FROM UPSTAIRS.  sooo not cool!!!!

that made me LOL for real. 

Like I am totally the twins.  If that were a weeknight and I had to get up for work.  But never ever would I rent a house with a bunch of party animals and expect them to act like grown adults!  And the one is married and didn't bring her husband, that even more bizarre!!!

• Love 4
On 1/13/2017 at 9:59 AM, gunderda said:

And the one is married and didn't bring her husband, that even more bizarre!!!

Her husband lives in LA. Her story is that this is her last summer the Hamptons because she us moving to join him at the end of the summer.

There are fireworks on Independence Day; Lauren and Carl's relationship heats up in the bedroom; Kyle juggles two women at a party; love birds Everett and Lindsay's explosive antics prove they're anything but the perfect couple.

(Unlocking this again because there's editorial content already published and on which people might want to comment. And merging it with the S01.E02 thread because apparently the two episodes are one and the same and Bravo is annoyingly acting like the second half of last week's Vanderpump Rules was S01.E01 of Summer House.)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, sasha206 said:

The two blonde twins aren't cute at all.   Actually I think the only one who really IS attractive is Kyle.  And he is way too full of himself.

The entire house is full of skinny butterfaces.  But they're all the same, these shows: the boys want to get laid; the girls want to get married.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

Everybody in this house is so unattractive but they all think they're hot.  I also think they're all too damn old to act the way they're acting.

In the 80's I had a share in a Hampton's summer house, I was in my 20's and had a lot of fun, but because no one in the house drank, we actually DID have fun and didn't act like drunken douchebags.  We'd go to the beach during the day, go out to dinner or have a barbecue early in the evening, go out dancing later and then go out for ice cream at about midnight.  Good times.

• Love 7

I have no idea how these houses work, do they rent the house for the whole summer or just on the weekends?  Do they have to pack up everything and clean the house when they leave on Sundays? Is it their house during the week as well as the weekends or does somebody else live there during the week?  

Sorry for so many questions, I grew up in San Francisco and we don't have those kinds of things here.  It just doesn't seem worth it if they have to clean and pack everything at the end of every weekend. I think they said it takes 3 hours to get there so that's 6 hours round trip, it just doesn't seem like they'd have much time to spend at the house.  

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Maharincess said:

I have no idea how these houses work, do they rent the house for the whole summer or just on the weekends?  Do they have to pack up everything and clean the house when they leave on Sundays? Is it their house during the week as well as the weekends or does somebody else live there during the week?  

Sorry for so many questions, I grew up in San Francisco and we don't have those kinds of things here.  It just doesn't seem worth it if they have to clean and pack everything at the end of every weekend. I think they said it takes 3 hours to get there so that's 6 hours round trip, it just doesn't seem like they'd have much time to spend at the house.  

Think Jersey Shore, but a tad more upscale.

The Hamptons are in Long Island, Suffolk County.   Hamptons season starts Memorial Day and ends Labor Day.  Most people get their shares in the houses by March.  In my case I was in the house every other weekend, some people go every weekend, it depends on what you can afford, some might go for every weekend in the summer, some might only be able to afford a month.  As for packing, it's not like you're doing heavy packing.  It's summer, you pack swimsuits, shorts and tee shirts, and maybe a nice outfit if you go out dancing.  If you have enough people in the house, cleaning the kitchen and the bathroom is not that much of an issue.  At my age now, I certainly wouldn't want to trek out there; but when you're in your twenties, it's about hanging out with your friends, going to the beach, partying, going out to eat, etc.

I'd leave early on Friday to beat the rush.  In the 80's, it felt like the whole Upper East Side was gone every summer weekend; some small businesses would close, weekends during July and August.  On Sunday's I'd usually leave late; it didn't take me three hours, more like 2 and a half, but it was worth it.  I mean NYC can be brutal July and August. 

Some people who have homes out there might stay for a week or two during August, so they'll rent it out June and July.   I had a boss who didn't stay there one summer and he wanted to have it rented out, but it was already during the summer so it was too late.  

Your other question was, does someone stay there during the week.  It depends.  In the house where I was, there was a girl, a friend of ours, in graduate school, who stayed there all summer, I think she was paid by the owner.  She shopped for things like kitchen staples, bread, eggs, milk, cereal, coffee, tea, snacks.  Her job was just to keep the house in good shape.  These folks mentioned a security deposit, and they get it back only if, at the end of the summer, the house is in good condition.

Most owners now probably deal with a management company.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 4
On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 5:51 PM, Maharincess said:

Being from FL (& never lived west of I95), this whole concept has always FASCINATED me. I mean, yeah it looks like a blast, but that's a brutal drive to do every weekend (or however often). Now, if you could telework from Montauk during the week...

• Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:11 PM, Maharincess said:

Thanks so much @Neurochick.  I've always been confused as to how these houses work. 

my Boston boy-child moved to NJ to work in NYC.  his roommate's family has a house on the Jersey Shore,  so he went almost every weekend last summer.  I'm super excited that he's getting to enjoy that experience!

Viacom has Summer Fridays (half day) between Memorial Day and Labor Day and I was always told it was to make it easier for everyone to get out to the Hamptons.  I'm sure there are other companies that do the same thing.  I guess there's also a bus called the Hamptons Jitney that runs between Manhattan and the Hamptons in the summer.  So maybe things like that make it easier to get out there every weekend.  I don't know, my dad has a vacation house about an hour/hour and a half from his house.  It's where he docks his boat and keeps the RV and jetskis. He used to like to go there every weekend and it always seemed like such a pain in the ass to me even though we didn't have to pack that much because everything is there.  Just having minimally load the car and then drive somewhere is too much effort for me that often.  Now he's got another one that's about 7 hours drive that he's going to every 4-6 weeks.  It's 90 minutes from me and I can't deal with making the drive every time he's there.  I guess some people are made for it and some people are not.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, yourmomiseasy said:

I guess there's also a bus called the Hamptons Jitney that runs between Manhattan and the Hamptons in the summer.

The Hampton Jitney runs, I believe all year from Manhattan and the Hamptons.  I've never wanted to own a vacation home because then you feel like you HAVE to go there every summer, because you've paid for the house.  I prefer to go other places for vacation.  One summer in the Hamptons was enough for me. 

Hampton Jitney.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

The Hampton Jitney runs, I believe all year from Manhattan and the Hamptons.  I've never wanted to own a vacation home because then you feel like you HAVE to go there every summer, because you've paid for the house.  I prefer to go other places for vacation.  One summer in the Hamptons was enough for me. 

Hampton Jitney.

"What's a jitney?"-Chuck Bass

#couldnthelpmyself

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I think when you actually own a vacation home you go there because you want to, not because you feel like you have to.  I think if you are renting there's more pressure to go because your time is limited, whereas if you own you've got a longer time horizon and you aren't just paying for the time there, but you've got the asset in your portfolio and future generations can possibly benefit from it.  You can also rent out the ones you are not using and generate income.  My brothers' living expenses in college were paid for by renting out various vacation houses.  (and yes, I realize how that sounds, but trust me, these are not fancy joints for the most part)

Edited by yourmomiseasy
  • Love 2

Splash fight dude (I forget his name now) seems to think he's on a soap opera, has anyone else noticed his speaking? It's like he's trying to be overdramatic and serious but it just comes off as comical. They're also not all as hot as they think they are. But of course, I'm hooked already.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8