Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: You Wish

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

When a mutilated sex offender is found dead, it is unclear if he was the victim of a hate crime, sexual assault or self-mutilation. As Intelligence questions those related to the case, they find themselves up against a private "special police" force who may be covering up illegal activities. Meanwhile, Halstead runs Jimmy's DNA to confirm that he is actually Lindsay's father.

How did Erin get "Lindsay" as a last name? An ex-husband of Bunny's, maybe? I'm wondering because both Bunny and not-bio-dad-Jimmy's last names were said tonight. And suddenly, Erin has a good female friend from childhood?  If she loves Erin so much, how does she not know that Erin has a job she loves working for the man who raised her, and is living with a boyfriend she loves? 

I assume Erin's going to hear about the exchange between Bunny and Hank. I get that Bunny is implying he could be the bio-father, but I couldn't figure out whether they had a ONS and she knows he wishes it never happened, or if the "You wish" was she came on to him 30 years ago and he rejected her. 

Why couldn't Al have said "Kim" or Burgess" to Hank when she's right there with them, instead of "the kid"? Not a fan of Burgess, but I hated that. 

• Love 2

Well, I loved the 'Duran, Duran' bit (yeah, I'm old enough to remember). Burgess and Olinsky become intriguing to watch - it's an uneasy dynamic that hopefully keeps Burgess away from her usual romantic shenanigans. She's certainly trying to keep her act together around him. New guy seems to fit in fine. I thought the COW was well done and the episode would have been good without all the paternity drama. Speaking of which:

10 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

And suddenly, Erin has a good female friend from childhood?  If she loves Erin so much, how does she not know that Erin has a job she loves working for the man who raised her, and is living with a boyfriend she loves? 

Thank you! I kept wondering 'Who are you?' - for a moment I thought she might be a new female firefighter from CF that I would not know as I stopped watching. But apparently she's a BFF out of nowhere who has no idea about Erin's work or love life. So, meh on her advice!

I think the BFF is the same one who Lindsay protected from Charlie in S1. She said Annie at one point and I think that was her name. Not sure if it was the same actress. I also thought that Lindsay's friend sounded like she was high/drunk. Not sure if that was on purpose.

I'm pretty sure Voight and Bunny had a ONS - he said, "you wish" and she then said he would love to think that night never happened, so I'd say, it did. Also, why would she suggest he run a DNA test on his and Erin's DNA if nothing had happened? I'm not sure if it's a Red Herring or not but it feels like they're opening up the door for Voight being Lindsay's dad and maybe have that play out in the finale. Imagine how Lindsay would feel if she learned that Voight is actually her father and has never entertained the possibility in all these years. If I were her I'd certainly feel betrayed and cheated out of something that I could have had.

Spoiler

In his Q&A on twitter, Derek Haas has also hinted at trouble for Lindsay and Halstead, twice now. So, it could have something to do with the whole Lindsay's dad situation though unless Sophia Bush wants out, I have a hard time imagining they'd write her out and Lindsay leaving and coming back would be very S2-S3 cliffhanger. Been there, done that.

Loved the look Voight gave Platt and Platt's reaction in that scene with Bunny. Priceless!

Not sure how I feel about the possibility of Voight being Lindsay's dad yet. It would open up some interesting doors to explore in regards to Lindsay, Voight and Halstead, but it could also lead where I don't want it to lead and cause too much drama. Besides, it would be nice if they could give Lindsay a break and just let her be happy for a while and have something work out well for her.

Not a fan of Burgess, as she comes across as "I'm too perfect and good at everything" and "I'd kill to get that job" too often for my taste, so I hope she gets less present in the next episodes. Or, at least, fails at something.

2 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

I'm pretty sure Voight and Bunny had a ONS - he said, "you wish" and she then said he would love to think that night never happened, so I'd say, it did. Also, why would she suggest he run a DNA test on his and Erin's DNA if nothing had happened? I'm not sure if it's a Red Herring or not

I thought he said "you wish" meaning 'you wish you could have had me' and 'you wish *I* (a dude with a real job who loves Erin) could have been Erin's father, instead of one of your loser exes.' He said he hadn't said that in 30 years, and I was wondering if that meant she threw herself at him 30 years ago while drunk or high, he turned her down, but she was so out of it then (and has resented him so much over the years) that she convinced herself they did have a ONS and wants him to think that the mighty Hank did once 'slum it' w/her (maybe thinks he can't prove otherwise because he was under the influence too). I figure that's possible with how Bunny thinks because she urged Erin not to tell their ex-con visitor that he's not her father. Bunny has no problem lying and manipulating to suit an agenda. In this case, the agenda is to get Erin angry at Hank/cause a problem between Erin and Hank because she just resents him so much. There are alcoholics/drug addicts who want attention or just want to cause trouble and so they tell people stuff that literally never happened, but they repeat the lies to themselves so much that they genuinely come to believe their lie is truth. 

My bet is "Red Herring" as you suggested.

Bunny is the master of manipulation so even though I said to Mr MML early in the episode that Voight will be Erin's father, I don't really think so since Bunny is now planting the idea (as she did with Jimmy, Erin's not-father). The scene where not-father ripped into Erin as being a scammer just like Bunny was really sad, imo.

I think the scene with the slightly drunk random BFF Annie at the bar was partly just to show Erin tossing back shots--we are to think she could easily fall back into bad habits, perhaps. 

8 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

Hide contents

Not a fan of Burgess, as she comes across as "I'm too perfect and good at everything" and "I'd kill to get that job" too often for my taste, so I hope she gets less present in the next episodes. Or, at least, fails at something.

I am right there with you about Burgess. I never liked her character and now that she has moved upstairs she is getting way too much screen time for my liking. I would rather more of everyone but her!

• Love 2

I have no time for Burgess.  It's not really even her fault. She just got saddled with a lot of "Rookie cop"/"total fuckup" plots despite not being total rookie when introduced (unlike Ruzek), and her other plot thread was her romance with Ruzek.  Couple that with her being so much of a bleeding heart and she just came across as an incompetent who cares more about her cop boyfriend than becoming a good cop.

• Love 3

I love Erin and Bank's relationship, but I really hope that they don't make Hank  her bio dad. Olinsky needs to stop being nasty towards Kim, that whole badge bunny comment he made in a prior episode just makes him look like a misogynistic pig. He never disrespected Erin like that. Can the writers give Kevin more to do? And can Bunny go away!?

So were the elite Special Police sworn police officers like many cities have Transit Police, Housing Authority Police , Park Police.... and other police departments that the main city cops see as less than themselves or private security for that housing complex with detainment powers like private universities, say Law & Order's Hudson University or the real life USC Public Safety Officer, fiance of a cop's daughter who got killed along with her by cop killer Christopher Donner at the beginning of his rampage?

I so miss Antonio; I love Jon Seda. We will see him Sunday night at his new job! Burgess is no doubt annoying, but Al's nastiness towards her is getting annoying too. About the paternity stuff. I'm not sure if it was Halstead's place to test the DNA; I think he might have overstepped his bounds. I know he loves and wants to protect Erin, but she is an adult and the paternity stuff is between her and Bunny and whomever her dad might be. If thinking that Jimmy was her dad made her somewhat happier for a little while at least, I think the writers should have let the Jimmy thread run for a while.

• Love 1
On 13.1.2017 at 10:36 PM, subina167 said:

I'm not sure if it was Halstead's place to test the DNA; I think he might have overstepped his bounds. I know he loves and wants to protect Erin, but she is an adult and the paternity stuff is between her and Bunny and whomever her dad might be.

I think they handled that quite clever: Halstead wasn't doing it behind Erin's back and then confronting her with the result. He let her know right away what he was going to do and she could have stopped him right there while he was bagging the coffee mug. But she didn't.

That said he probably should have suggested a DNA test to Erin first, give her time to mull things over and then do it instead of rushing it. But considering how often Bunny's shenanigans had repercussions for him too I can't say I blame him for doing what he did.

• Love 4

I could be into Hank being Erin's biological father. He has been her father in every other sense of the word. The only part that bothers me is that if he is, it means that he sank low enough to bed Bunny. 

While Burgess has gotten on my nerves countless times, I am also tired of Olinksy's attitude toward her. It makes you wonder if its just Burgess that he has the problem with, or did he treat Erin the same way when she first started out?

On ‎12‎.‎01‎.‎2017 at 9:37 PM, Texasmom1970 said:

I am right there with you about Burgess. I never liked her character and now that she has moved upstairs she is getting way too much screen time for my liking. I would rather more of everyone but her!

To me, it feels as if Burgess moved upstairs and got more screen time ever since since any other character but Lindsay. I don't mind that she moved upstairs and I was beginning to like her character as a patrol officer, however, now she's falling back into old habits and is pushed into our faces. I don't mind people/characters who have confidence and believe in themselves. What I don't like is that Burgess comes across as so full of herself. Maybe she did pay her dues and deserves to be up in intelligence. But she's new to Intelligence and there is still A LOT she has to learn. So, it would be nice if she wouldn't pout every time she is given an order she doesn't like, like when Voight gave the interrogation to Olinsky. She's free to ask for a transfer if she doesn't like it but that is how Voight runs Intelligence and she is the lowest ranking officer up there. Someone should suggest she take advantage of all the experience everyone upstairs has and start learning to become as good a cop as everyone upstairs is instead of thinking she's already there.

On ‎12‎.‎01‎.‎2017 at 11:16 PM, Mars477 said:

I have no time for Burgess.  It's not really even her fault. She just got saddled with a lot of "Rookie cop"/"total fuckup" plots despite not being total rookie when introduced (unlike Ruzek), and her other plot thread was her romance with Ruzek.  Couple that with her being so much of a bleeding heart and she just came across as an incompetent who cares more about her cop boyfriend than becoming a good cop.

Well, I don't think she comes across as incompetent, just full of herself and overestimating her ability. However, I agree that she got the saddled with the bad plots which made her the character. It's just not a very likeable character, in my opinion, although she could be if they just took her down a notch or two.

On ‎13‎.‎01‎.‎2017 at 6:40 AM, spunky said:

I love Erin and Bank's relationship, but I really hope that they don't make Hank  her bio dad. Olinsky needs to stop being nasty towards Kim, that whole badge bunny comment he made in a prior episode just makes him look like a misogynistic pig. He never disrespected Erin like that. Can the writers give Kevin more to do? And can Bunny go away!?

Oh yeah, Bunny going away would be nice. Maybe Voight could strike a deal with her like he did with Charlie way back that makes Bunny leave town. Erin deserves a break and some peace in her life.

As far as Voight being her biological dad - I think what I want is that she accepts him as her dad. He acted as her dad anyway and he also sees her as family and she told him in S2 that he is her family. Considering that she did have a father figure and someone who considers her family and she considers family, you also have to wonder why she was suddenly so needy about a dad/father figure. I could have understood it had they not established as close a relationship between Voight and her. A mentor, for example, is something entirely different from a father/father figure but since he is her father figure, it didn't seem like she was missing something and I don't think that at age 30 she would have been naive enough to believe that they're going to be a happy family - mom, dad and daughter. She also wasn't mad at him for not having contacted her sooner and that he didn't have any room in his life for her while he had his own family.

On ‎14‎.‎01‎.‎2017 at 6:02 PM, MissLucas said:

I think they handled that quite clever: Halstead wasn't doing it behind Erin's back and then confronting her with the result. He let her know right away what he was going to do and she could have stopped him right there while he was bagging the coffee mug. But she didn't.

That said he probably should have suggested a DNA test to Erin first, give her time to mull things over and then do it instead of rushing it. But considering how often Bunny's shenanigans had repercussions for him too I can't say I blame him for doing what he did.

Agreed with the top. I thought this was a great way to handle it.

As far as waiting is concerned, yes, he could have waited but it wouldn't have gotten any easier. The more you get involved in that fantasy, the less you want to know reality. Children who are adopted usually have a harder time dealing with it the later they learn that they're adopted. So, even though Lindsay would have known that there's a chance that Jimmy isn't her father, I think that the longer she would have waited, the less she would have wanted to know because the fantasy would just have felt so good.

On ‎12‎.‎01‎.‎2017 at 4:16 PM, Bringonthedrama said:

I thought he said "you wish" meaning 'you wish you could have had me' and 'you wish *I* (a dude with a real job who loves Erin) could have been Erin's father, instead of one of your loser exes.' He said he hadn't said that in 30 years, and I was wondering if that meant she threw herself at him 30 years ago while drunk or high, he turned her down, but she was so out of it then (and has resented him so much over the years) that she convinced herself they did have a ONS and wants him to think that the mighty Hank did once 'slum it' w/her (maybe thinks he can't prove otherwise because he was under the influence too).

I definitely believe that the "You wish" referred to something that Bunny wanted to happen that didn't happen. But I also believe that that night happened because it came afterwards and it sounded triumphant. As in, he rejected her for whatever reason (who knows what had been going on back then) but she still got him for that one night or maybe just for that one time. I could easily believe that both he and Bunny were drunk and that some sort of crazy party was going on and they ended up in a room à la frat party. We know little about Voight before he became a cop, but Jimmy mentioned something about Voight's fight weight, so who knows what exactly Voight was into. And I think Platt's reaction wasn't because something could have happened, I think Platt understood it as something did happen, hence that look. That is my interpretation anyway :-) 

I figure that's possible with how Bunny thinks because she urged Erin not to tell their ex-con visitor that he's not her father. Bunny has no problem lying and manipulating to suit an agenda. In this case, the agenda is to get Erin angry at Hank/cause a problem between Erin and Hank because she just resents him so much. There are alcoholics/drug addicts who want attention or just want to cause trouble and so they tell people stuff that literally never happened, but they repeat the lies to themselves so much that they genuinely come to believe their lie is truth. 

Don't I know it.

Just had a thought - wouldn't Voight have responded that the night did not happen if it hadn't? Instead, he just looks at her and leaves and doesn't accuse her of anything or object. I don't know, this whole scene just felt like TPTB were suggesting that there is that possibility to us. I've actually wondered if it could be possible that Voight did run a DNA test and already knows. I tend to think he doesn't, but there is the chance that he does.

And speaking of Bunny and drunks - when we see her in scenes, she seems sober, she also told Lindsay she's sober a while back, didn't she? then Voight shows up and asks if she's drunk, and she also still works in a bar, right? So, what are we supposed to believe her "status" is right now? Recovering drug addict who just so happens to manage not to get addicted to alcohol/to control their alcohol addiction?

Oh, and yes to what MakeMeLaugh said. Each time I see Lindsay drinking and/or doing shots, I'm uncomfortable because I'm thinking how easily she can fall back into old habits. It seems that the writers don't realize just how difficult it is to manage addictions and that they were portraying Lindsay to have a drug and drinking problem between S2 and S3. If Lindsay keeps drinking the way she does, the drinking problem would still be there. I find the relationship between Bunny and Lindsay very realistic, I find Bunny's manipulation very realistic and Lindsay's forgiveness, too, and that she keeps apologizing for what Bunny is doing (can someone get her back to Dr Charles, maybe, 'cause that woman needs him ;-)) but sometimes I wonder if their research stopped there.

Oh, and I really liked the scenes between Halstead and Voight in that episode and how they were subtly a bit more personal.

Edited by CheshireCat
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, CheshireCat said:

As far as Voight being her biological dad - I think what I want is that she accepts him as her dad. He acted as her dad anyway and he also sees her as family and she told him in S2 that he is her family. Considering that she did have a father figure and someone who considers her family and she considers family, you also have to wonder why she was suddenly so needy about a dad/father figure. I could have understood it had they not established as close a relationship between Voight and her. A mentor, for example, is something entirely different from a father/father figure but since he is her father figure, it didn't seem like she was missing something and I don't think that at age 30 she would have been naive enough to believe that they're going to be a happy family - mom, dad and daughter. She also wasn't mad at him for not having contacted her sooner and that he didn't have any room in his life for her while he had his own family.

I don't think SB played Erin as needy about a dad; she thinks of Voight as "dad."  However, it was emotionally gratifying for her thinking that her biological father cared enough about her to keep years of childhood pictures Bunny sent him, and said he wanted to get to know her.  I've heard of real-life situations where adopted children very much loved the parents who raised them, but still longed for a connection to their biological parents.  They re-united with the biological parents, learned that they weren't given up out or rejection, and formed healthy relationships with them.

Erin knows Bunny has been involved with at least a few losers. It seems she was a tiny bit happy thinking that the man whose DNA she inherited didn't just get Bunny pregnant, go to prison and never thought of/cared about Bunny or her child again (after being aware of the pregnancy).  I totally get that she warmed to Jimmy a little bit, understanding that he didn't reject/abandon/ignore her and her mom. 

I don't think she was being naive, so much as enjoying the possibility that finally her mother would not be an awful parent and human being, that her biological father could be a decent guy who cared about both of them, and that her two parents could get along. (As opposed to Bunny and Voight having contempt for one another).  I'm sure "normalcy" felt great - Jay said something about it being a "fantasy" and Erin's response was if it is, just let her live in it/enjoy it for a moment.  What she's experiencing is not something Jay can fully understand, as he was raised by stable parents he knows loved him. (We know his mother died, but I think it's been implied that happened in his adult life/ within the last 10 years.)

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

I don't think SB played Erin as needy about a dad; she thinks of Voight as "dad."  

No, I didn't think it was played as needy, I was just referring to Voight's comment that "if Jimmy is filling a void" for Erin and I was wondering which void it could be. To me, there's a difference between wanting to know your biological father (which is understandable) and needing someone to fill a void. Usually, you need to fill a void when something's not there, so, if Erin sees Voight as her father/family, what void was there to fill? That is what I was getting at.

To me, it seemed that Erin did more than just "warm up" to Jimmy. She just seemed to accept him and she instantly seemed to trust him. The man was in prison, the man was introduced to her as her father by her mother and Erin's a cop. And yet, there was no moment of doubt, or question or suspicion, and I don't necessarily mean about Jimmy being her father but in general, too.

The writers need to move this storyline along. As you stated she is a grown 30 year old woman who has a father figure. This whole who is Erin's daddy is starting to feel like a prolonged episode of Maury.

Edited by spunky
Spelling error
5 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

No, I didn't think it was played as needy, I was just referring to Voight's comment that "if Jimmy is filling a void" for Erin and I was wondering which void it could be.

To me, it seemed that Erin did more than just "warm up" to Jimmy. She just seemed to accept him and she instantly seemed to trust him. The man was in prison,

Voight said that, and mentioned losing Justin, so he could understand the desire for family. Erin didn't say yes, or no. We know she's been without a stable mother figure since Voight's wife died, now she's also lost Justin too, and I don't think we know of Erin having any grandparents, aunts or uncles? Can't remember if that guy who made an appearance a while ago was Erin's brother by blood, or a former foster brother? I would say void of 'having family/people who care for you, who can be trusted.' We already know she wanted Jay to move in with her in part because she didn't feel she could trust anyone else at this time in her life (including Voight). 

It didn't seem to me that she instantly trusted him - she was clearly not happy to hear well, I've been out of jail 10 years but I didn't get in touch because I got married and we have two sons (i.e. 'couldn't mess that up by reaching out to or even acknowledging a daughter from my past'.)  I think she lowers her defenses because Bunny tells her this man is your father, he has years of childhood photos of her, and isn't asking for favors, or appearing to have an agenda. He tells her he wants to be there for her. He's probably the first person (other than Jay) to say that to her since Voight took her in and treated her as family - that's a huge deal.  It didn't dawn on Erin that Bunny might be wrong, or unsure, about who her father is. I totally understand her rage toward Bunny.

• Love 2
On ‎2017‎-‎01‎-‎12 at 11:42 AM, MissLucas said:

Thank you! I kept wondering 'Who are you?' - for a moment I thought she might be a new female firefighter from CF that I would not know as I stopped watching. But apparently she's a BFF out of nowhere who has no idea about Erin's work or love life. So, meh on her advice!

That's funny because I asked my wife if she was a character from Med (which I don't watch).

On 1/12/2017 at 11:42 AM, MissLucas said:

Well, I loved the 'Duran, Duran' bit (yeah, I'm old enough to remember).

ME TOO!

On 1/12/2017 at 5:12 PM, MakeMeLaugh said:

Bunny is the master of manipulation so even though I said to Mr MML early in the episode that Voight will be Erin's father, I don't really think so since Bunny is now planting the idea (as she did with Jimmy, Erin's not-father). The scene where not-father ripped into Erin as being a scammer just like Bunny was really sad, imo.

Agreed. I wish she stood up for herself and explained that Bunny scammed him, not her. Clearly Erin didn't tell Bunny to send him pictures for the first 15 years of her life. I felt bad for the dad who, while not necessarily the best guy on the block, seemed at least sincere in trying to be part of her life. Clearly this means Bunny isn't getting her salon!

On 1/13/2017 at 6:40 AM, spunky said:

can the writers tell Kevin to E-NUN-CI-ATE???????????????????????????????????? I never understand what he is saying on first watch. Always have to rewind.

I miss Antonio.

On 1/13/2017 at 4:36 PM, subina167 said:

About the paternity stuff. I'm not sure if it was Halstead's place to test the DNA; I think he might have overstepped his bounds. I know he loves and wants to protect Erin, but she is an adult and the paternity stuff is between her and Bunny and whomever her dad might be. If thinking that Jimmy was her dad made her somewhat happier for a little while at least, I think the writers should have let the Jimmy thread run for a while.

agreed - but at least was glad he *told* her as opposed to doing it behind her back, which is what I expected.

Kim. keep your mouth shut and your brain open.

IF Voight actually hooked up with Bunny, do we know if Camille was already in the picture at the time? Considering the age difference between Erin and Justin, I'm going to say no - but it's also largely because I don't want to think of Voight as a cheater.

Re: Erin's friend at the bar - Yes, that was Annie, the same friend who was in the Charlie arc. You might not have recognized her, however, as her hair was blonde in those episodes and now it's dark.