Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: One In A Million

I have side with Campbell on the helicopter issue.  Medevac ships are not like rental cars; there's not a warehouse full of them to be parceled out as needed.  The fact that one crashed meant they had to take another one away from some other location, and then it leaves on an unpaid "Uber mission", as he put it.  Hospitals typically lease the copter from a company and pay them flight time, which is recovered from the patient's insurance company, if possible.  400 miles round trip would be an astronomical cost to the hospital. I'm sure the Board of Directors will be persuaded.

• Love 5

Yeah for all the touchy-feely stuff the cost of using that helicopter would have an impact somewhere,  whether it's being unavailable for an emergency or in the budget.

Happy with the choice of resident for the basketball work tho.

• Love 2

Our hospital's Helicoptor is contracted. Not owned by the hospital.  So a doctor wouldn't be the one to  send it somewhere.  Bad dialog:  When Leanne said the accident victim had DIC. One of the doctors said "Isn't that usually fatal?"  I think he should know that.  Also, I can't get over how patients on this show go to surgery and come back to the ER instead of going to a hospital room.

• Love 2

So the autistic girl is the 1 in 15,000 African American children who have CF. And then she's one of the 5% of CF patients that Ivacaftor works on.  And if Mom can afford the $300,000/yr price tag, she's even luckier.

1 hour ago, howiveaddict said:

Also, I can't get over how patients on this show go to surgery and come back to the ER instead of going to a hospital room.

Yeah, but any hospital show is guilty of that one.  I can't give Code Black crap for doing the same thing that The Night Shift, Chicago Med, and even ER did.

Also, am I crazy, or has Campbell actually turned into a human being?

• Love 1

I feel like I hallucinated it, but isn't Guthrie Campbell's father or something? I thought that was some thing when Campbell first showed up and Guthrie was all excited like a puppy and Campbell then smacked him with a newspaper? Because with the daughter/granddaughter(?) showing up without Guthrie commenting and now Campbell not really apparently giving two craps about Guthrie's condition/treatment, I'm thinking I read that wrong?

1 minute ago, CoyoteBlue said:

I feel like I hallucinated it, but isn't Guthrie Campbell's father or something?

No, that was a different doctor.  He was hired, father son drama, made out with Leanne and then disappeared.  

• Love 2

Enjoyed the episode, sappy moments and all. 

Willis: Are you good with technology?

Noa: I was born in '92. I'm practically an astronaut.

So true, when you think about her knowledge vs. someone born in the 1930s.

Yes! Guthrie's still around. At least for a minute.

Big Brother ain't got nothin' on Big Mama.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Fireball said:

The thing I didn't really understand is why was it Leanne's choice who got the university sports gig?

I was wondering the same thing. She's not in charge of anything anymore, is she?

18 hours ago, mojito said:

Willis: Are you good with technology?

Noa: I was born in '92. I'm practically an astronaut.

So true, when you think about her knowledge vs. someone born in the 1930s.

Born in '92 means she's 24 years old, and she's a 2nd year?  Aren't most people 21 or 22 when they graduate from college?  Was she a child prodigy who breezed through the lower grades and went to med school as a teenager?

On 1/5/2017 at 6:08 PM, howiveaddict said:

Also, I can't get over how patients on this show go to surgery and come back to the ER instead of going to a hospital room.

This bothers me to no end. In this episode, it was completely unbelievable when the guy who was burned and MELTED INTO THE HELICOPTER SEAT was sent to the Burn Unit, then magically appeared back in the ER! As if it was totally ok for his burn wounds to be exposed to all the nasty junk floating around the ER. And I chuckled at how he was conscious, alert, and concerned about the other patient's condition, the guy originally air-lifted from the cruise ship.  I like the show, but things that are THAT preposterous turn me off.

• Love 2

I'm still not sure why Leanne got to choose who got the university sports gig. Yes, she's the Residency Director, but wouldn't the University get to choose who they wanted? If it was always Leanne's choice than why did it matter that Angus was talking to the athletic guy? Why even have the guy from the university give a sale's pitch? I mean just have people apply for the position and then have Leanne choose. It seemed like the only reason the university guys were there was so they could have Mario and Angus fight. Speaking of the fight I thought Mario was an ass.

Also I thought it was a cop-out to have Noa get the university gig. Plus I would think that kind of gig would only be for second year residents and I thought she was a first year.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 1:36 AM, Dowel Jones said:

I have side with Campbell on the helicopter issue.  Medevac ships are not like rental cars; there's not a warehouse full of them to be parceled out as needed.  The fact that one crashed meant they had to take another one away from some other location, and then it leaves on an unpaid "Uber mission", as he put it.  .

I was also on Campbell's side. What if there had been an accident and the helicopter was needed? I hated that they implied that Leanne will not get into any trouble over high jacking the helicopter and blatantly disregarding Campbell's order.

Anyone else wonder where Malaya is? I'm starting to think the show actually wrote her out.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Fireball said:

What if there had been an accident and the helicopter was needed?

I agree.  If loss of life had occurred because the helicopter that might have saved someone was running essentially a personal errand, there would be hell to pay, and lawsuits out the wazoo!

I think we're meant to see Campbell becoming more humanized; since he is a direct descendant of Peter Benton (ER), he is a brilliant, but tight-ass surgeon, has a handicapped kid, and has to learn the ways of humans to become a great doctor.

(And yes, I also thought Guthrie was his father, so I completely melded those 2 storylines).

On 06/01/2017 at 1:41 AM, izabella said:

Is there a person with autism who was helped by communicating by phone?

I don't know about communicating by phone, but there are several apps out there especifically for autistic children, and a few studies on how iPads are being very helpful.

On 08/01/2017 at 6:46 PM, Netfoot said:

I agree.  If loss of life had occurred because the helicopter that might have saved someone was running essentially a personal errand, there would be hell to pay, and lawsuits out the wazoo!

And let's not forget thar they are a county hospital. No way Leanne doesn't know how a budget works or how they have to make every single dolllar count. That goodbye trip means diverting money that is needed everywhere so a guy - who by the way was in touch with his family by phone for several hours- could give his son a last hug. It was ridiculous.

On 08/01/2017 at 5:19 AM, BamaGirl said:

This bothers me to no end. In this episode, it was completely unbelievable when the guy who was burned and MELTED INTO THE HELICOPTER SEAT was sent to the Burn Unit, then magically appeared back in the ER! As if it was totally ok for his burn wounds to be exposed to all the nasty junk floating around the ER. And I chuckled at how he was conscious, alert, and concerned about the other patient's condition, the guy originally air-lifted from the cruise ship.  I like the show, but things that are THAT preposterous turn me off.

They are always very conscious and alert, aren't they? I think that in some cases, they could at least try to come up with excuses, or I dunno, put the burnt guy who back melted into his seat in some sort of bubble. 

Edited by Raachel2008