Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: Some Make It, Some Don't

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Please note this airs an hour earlier.

Dawson and Casey deal with legal matters in hopes of remaining Louie's legal guardians. Severide continues in his efforts for a bone marrow procedure to help Anna, but when things don't go as planned, he finds himself slipping back into old habits. Meanwhile, Brett opens up to Dawson, and members of Firehouse 51 become competitive, much to the dismay of Chief Boden.

12 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

Is this the big crossover I've seen advertised?

I think it depends on your definition of 'big.' It's just Fire and PD, and PD doesn't turn up until the very end. There's a Med character that he talks to about the bone marrow transplant, though.

On 1/4/2017 at 9:37 AM, Chas411 said:

Is this the big crossover I've seen advertised?

I didn't realize it was a crossover and my DVR stopped at the end of Fire since I don't watch PD.  So then I had to go online and watch PD.  Torture! That show is just awful.  **SPOILER ALERT** 

It wasn't Severide who caused the accident.  What a surprise (sarcasm) and a waste of 42 minutes!

I wish the show would have mentioned that Louie suffers the affects of his mom doing drugs during her pregnancy, etc.  He never speaks, smiles, etc.  This Louie storyline really needs to wrap up already.  Every other plot in this horrid show wraps up within an episode or two; why not this one?

Why was the girl in the minivan not wearing a seatbelt? Why didn't any one mention it and/or the charge the mom?

If Stella took her emergency contact situation so seriously, why was Erin there for Severide instead? 

The bone marrow story was pretty weak, but at least we got to see Clark.  I wish he would come back to 51. 

• Love 4

Louie continues to be the saddest child on television.  Can't figure out what happened to his dad - I was expecting some tragic tragedy, like he was in a car accident, but then wondered if he suddenly was required to ship out to Afghanistan or something. 

I laughed at beer barrel jenga. 

• Love 1

Louie could not even muster any joy when playing whack-a-mole at that restaurant. I am so sick of this storyline. I am sure the dad will end up being some kind of horrible person. I was kind of hoping Louie would see his dad and have a big smile on his face, because it would make me laugh. If I did not know better I would think Matt and Gabby were holding Louie hostage or something on the basis of Louie's demeanor.

I love Lagunitas so that was a plus for me.

• Love 2

I wish the show would have mentioned that Louie suffers the affects of his mom doing drugs during her pregnancy, etc.  He never speaks, smiles, etc. 

This! I'm simply not buying all the angst over Gabby losing Louie. First of all, she's had him all of five minutes - it's not like she raised him from birth. Second of all, both she and Casey work 24-hour shifts together so they leave that kid with someone else 33.3% of the week. And finally I've heard Louie speak all of 2 words, if that, the whole time Gabby's had him. Who'd notice if he was gone?

The subplot with the ping pong table was embarrassingly lame and childish. If these firemen are that uncoordinated and clumsy they're smashing into walls and breaking windows while playing ping pong, then God help the folks they're supposed to be saving from fires.

I actually sat through Chicago PD even though I figured out someone probably stole Severide's car from the beginning. It was torture - Jason Beghe sounds like he gargles with glass. I don't know how anyone can watch him week after week. Or how the audience is supposed to ignore the fact that Voight a.) planted drugs in Casey's house trying to get him arrested and then b.) tried to hire a hit man to kill him. Oh I guess that's all water under the bridge now. And Casey even works with him and talks to him about his cases. Gah!

They just went too far with that character before they started thinking about a spin-off. As absurd as it would have been, they would have been better off either creating a new character for Beghe to play or introduce his identical twin brother or cousin or something. I just can't figure out how this guy is still walking around a free man and everyone acts like nothing happened.

• Love 3

The subplot with the ping pong table was embarrassingly lame and childish. If these firemen are that uncoordinated and clumsy they're smashing into walls and breaking windows while playing ping pong, then God help the folks they're supposed to be saving from fires.The subplot with the ping pong table was embarrassingly lame and childish. If these firemen are that uncoordinated and clumsy they're smashing into walls and breaking windows while playing ping pong, then God help the folks they're supposed to be saving from fires.

This. Also every firehouse should have a designated weight/rec room where the firefighters can be loud and blow off steam, away from Connie's watchful eye.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, izabella said:

I laughed at beer barrel jenga.

Presumably the brewery has a forklift, as the kegs got up there in the first place.  Why not lift the pallets off of the klutz and extricate him, then call the FD?

I would hope that DCFS would do a lot more investigation into the leak of Louie's adoption procedure.  The lady looked very offended at the mere mention that the information might have come from them. 

• Love 1
On 1/4/2017 at 11:39 AM, juliet73 said:

[Edited spoiler]

I wish the show would have mentioned that Louie suffers the affects of his mom doing drugs during her pregnancy, etc.  He never speaks, smiles, etc.  This Louie storyline really needs to wrap up already.  Every other plot in this horrid show wraps up within an episode or two; why not this one?

Why was the girl in the minivan not wearing a seatbelt? Why didn't any one mention it and/or the charge the mom?

If Stella took her emergency contact situation so seriously, why was Erin there for Severide instead? 

The bone marrow story was pretty weak, but at least we got to see Clark.  I wish he would come back to 51.  

Do I need to watch PD because I'd rather not....

Can you tell me the parts that matter to Fire?

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Jason Beghe sounds like he gargles with glass.

I cannot stand his voice.  I also cannot stand to listen to Sophia Bush because she speaks with an annoying whisper.  Those two are the main reason why I don't watch Chicago PD that often.

• Love 2

Can you tell me the parts that matter to Fire?

This was already spilled upthread - someone stole Severides car. I guessed it as soon as the two Chicago PD characters showed up at his door. I mean, it's not like they're going to haul Severide off to jail for manslaughter and leaving the scene of an accident and write him off the show, so it had to be someone else driving the car. Not much of a mystery there. 

• Love 2

In defense of Jason Beghe, if I recall, his voice issue was due to a serious car accident where he was intubated/in a coma, etc. (No, also not trying to make anyone feel bad for being annoyed by it! LOL! But those are the facts as he has stated in print, I guess.)

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, izabella said:

Did they tell us how Severide got that bump on his head?  It was one of those obvious injuries that was supposed to make us wonder if he got that bruise from the car wreck...

He was pistol whipped by the guy that car jacked him. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

They just went too far with that character before they started thinking about a spin-off. As absurd as it would have been, they would have been better off either creating a new character for Beghe to play or introduce his identical twin brother or cousin or something. I just can't figure out how this guy is still walking around a free man and everyone acts like nothing happened.

This is the number 1 (and only) reason I do not watch Chicago PD!  He was a horrible character and I disliked him immensely.  Then all of a sudden he's supposed to be a good guy?  No way!  I just couldn't buy it.

• Love 2

Regarding Jason Beghe, I still think his initial scene with Casey at the restaurant when he is trying to cajole/threaten Matt to change his report is riveting.  I remember watching it and thinking I would check the actor out in other things after his character was finished here.  I was stunned when they decided his character was redeemable.  It was too bad because I would have watched him be someone else.

The past few episodes of PD seem to have tried to ease up on Voight's more egregious abuses of suspects--I think we may have seen the last of the cage--but interesting that on Fire Show brought up his history with Casey. Casey is like an angel so far (I love him) and Voight's actions were pretty much irredeemable. I don't think Show is complex enough to delve into a tortured hero (Severide's had occasional tiny issues but always ended up sparkling clean). 

Yes, Gabby automatically pocketing Casey's GreatAunt's check was selfish and classic. 

Loved Brett's adoption backstory scene. Hated that Louie's father was a no-show. I guess we had to see the foundation being laid of him not being a responsible parent-type (and by extension I guess his whole family) to justify his adoption outside of his own family and the inevitable heartwrenching yet heartwarming battle between St. Gabby and the world. I had hoped the whole extended family would have been in the restaurant waiting for him.

Squad should replace all its games with a contest to see who can get that stick out of Connie's derriere. I didn't mind the pingpong comic relief but yes let's see them working out because Mouch especially just seems too out of shape to be an active firefighter.

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I cannot stand his voice.  I also cannot stand to listen to Sophia Bush because she speaks with an annoying whisper.  Those two are the main reason why I don't watch Chicago PD that often.

I actually like Jason and don't mind his gravely voice. But Sophia makes me turn on the closed captions every week. Would it really be that hard for her to speak up??

Re the Louie situation, I genuinely wanted his father to walk into the restaurant and immediately bond with the kid. It's reached the point where I cant even watch scenes with Louie because it's too damn depressing. I really hope he isn't like this IRL!

• Love 1

This was already spilled upthread - someone stole Severide's car.

Thank you. I would love it if viewers of Chicago PD would just post here what happens in the crossover episodes. Chicago PD is not pleasant for me to watch, even when our firefighters show up. One exception, I could watch Trudy all day any day. What a great character.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, kentlady said:

This is the number 1 (and only) reason I do not watch Chicago PD!  He was a horrible character and I disliked him immensely.  Then all of a sudden he's supposed to be a good guy?  No way!  I just couldn't buy it.

Yeah, I've always had an issue with Voight suddenly being a "good guy" despite planting coke in Casey's home, threatening to kill Casey, threatening to kill Casey's then girlfriend/fiancee Hallie, etc. All of this because Casey was honest in stating that Voight's son was driving drunk and caused a severe car wreck. Voight didn't want his son to go to jail, which may have helped sort his son out. Instead, he drops him off at the Army recruiting station and makes him join, yet his son still ends up dead later because of his involvement with drug dealers and other nefarious characters. Had he done the right thing from the beginning and let his son go to trial and possibly serve jail time, he might still be alive, though possibly in jail. 

In any case, how can you redeem a guy who tried to completely destroy the life of a well respected fire fighter and who threatened to harm not just Casey but also his girlfriend/fiancee? The show acts like none of that ever happened and Voight faced pretty much no repercussions for it. What makes it even more absurd is that, after Hallie did die, Casey got involved with Gabby whose brother, Antonio, worked for Voight. This is another thing that bothers me about the whole Gabby/Casey relationship (Gabby herself bothers me immensely as does her constant manipulation of Casey) - why would Casey want anything to do with someone who had a family member that worked for Voight after all he did to him?

Regarding Louie, the saddest boy in the world, we got to hear him say one more word this episode which brings the season total up to three words, I think. He never smiles, never looks happy, etc. Again, I know he's been traumatized and whatnot, but Cindy has said that he has had a great time playing with her and Hermann's kids before. 

As for bio-dad, given that he is a veteran and served our country, didn't know about Louie before, etc., under normal circumstances Gabby would have a hard time keeping Louie. It doesn't matter that she and Casey are now married as Gabby is the only one on the guardianship papers. Gabby thought that would give them an advantage over a single parent, but from a legal standpoint it doesn't work that way. In the real world, if the bio-dad just learned about the child (or even if he knew about him before he still has not signed away his parental rights), the custody of the child would go to him unless there were some really unusual circumstances. Technically, once the DNA test proved that he was Louie's father, Louie would have pretty much been turned over to him in short order (there would likely be a court hearing to rescind the guardianship as a formality) and if Gabby and Casey wanted to contest that, they could, but the child would likely be with the bio-dad while that happened, especially since, as I mentioned, the bio-dad never signed away his rights. 

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 3
39 minutes ago, Rapunzel said:

Yeah, I've always had an issue with Voight suddenly being a "good guy" despite planting coke in Casey's home, threatening to kill Casey, threatening to kill Casey's then girlfriend/fiancee Hallie, etc. All of this because Casey was honest in stating that Voight's son was driving drunk and caused a severe car wreck. Voight didn't want his son to go to jail, which may have helped sort his son out.....

Apologies for the following exclamation points but they are a reflection of how incredible Voight's history is. I am pretty sure (yes I watch too much TV) that Voight's son Justin DID go to jail (Justin went into the army for other reasons later in PD) because Casey stuck to his guns about the drunk driving, but even more ludicrously Voight himself went to jail for attempted murder in his arranging for Casey to be taken down! And was arrested by Gabby's brother for the crime! Miraculously, when PD started, not only is Voight released, he is promoted to be head of the detectives! Because convicted felons of serious crimes are alway in the sweet spot for jobs in the police department and their leadership qualities are just topnotch.

I think Chief Boden might actually win the "what did he say?" contest in the MML house, over both PD's Lindsey and Voight. 

I wonder if the recipient for Severide's bone marrow will recover. That was a sweet story line, so I hope so. I will trade that one for the Louie story line in a New York minute.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

Apologies for the following exclamation points but they are a reflection of how incredible Voight's history is. I am pretty sure (yes I watch too much TV) that Voight's son Justin DID go to jail (Justin went into the army for other reasons later in PD) because Casey stuck to his guns about the drunk driving, but even more ludicrously Voight himself went to jail for attempted murder in his arranging for Casey to be taken down! And was arrested by Gabby's brother for the crime! Miraculously, when PD started, not only is Voight released, he is promoted to be head of the detectives! Because convicted felons of serious crimes are alway in the sweet spot for jobs in the police department and their leadership qualities are just topnotch.

I think Chief Boden might actually win the "what did he say?" contest in the MML house, over both PD's Lindsey and Voight. 

I wonder if the recipient for Severide's bone marrow will recover. That was a sweet story line, so I hope so. I will trade that one for the Louie story line in a New York minute.

You could be right - this all happened in the first season of Chicago Fire, so I might not recall every detail and have not re-watched since the original airing. In any case, the "redemption" of Voight is still ridiculous given how awful he truly was (and still can be, on occasion). The fact that Antonio may have arrested him back then makes it even more irritating that Antonio would agree to work for Voight (and was pretty much his right hand man until he just now is being transferred, presumably, to Chicago Justice) and that Casey would still be involved with someone connected to Voight in any way, shape or form - in this case, that massively manipulative, selfish, needy, she-monster known as Gabby. 

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 1

Did they tell us how Severide got that bump on his head?  It was one of those obvious injuries that was supposed to make us wonder if he got that bruise from the car wreck...

Actually, from what I remember of the wrecked car they showed, it seemed highly unlikely someone would have been able to walk away from that with nothing but a bump on their forehead. Yet the guy who turned out to have stolen the car didn't even have a scratch on him!

I think rather than "good guy" we're meant to regard Voight as "edgy," in that he still breaks the rules, cuts corners, etc. All in the name of bringing down the bad guys, of course. For instance in this episode he's shown slamming a suspect's head against the hood of a car, repeatedly, to get him to talk. So he's still a bit on the "dark side."

That said, I don't know how this really helps a show about police when the perception of the way police treat people is such a major news story these days. Do you really want a character like this on your show who gets away with this kind of crap and never suffers any repercussions from it? They seem to be saying police brutality is OK so long as they are abusing someone who's guilty of something.

Edited by iMonrey
36 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Actually, from what I remember of the wrecked car they showed, it seemed highly unlikely someone would have been able to walk away from that with nothing but a bump on their forehead. Yet the guy who turned out to have stolen the car didn't even have a scratch on him!

The guy who was actually driving Severide's stolen car was quite banged up.

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

That said, I don't know how this really helps a show about police when the perception of the way police treat people is such a major news story these days. Do you really want a character like this on your show who gets away with this kind of crap and never suffers any repercussions from it? They seem to be saying police brutality is OK so long as they are abusing someone who's guilty of something.

If this bothers you, never watch Blue Bloods.  

• Love 1
On 1/4/2017 at 10:05 PM, kentlady said:

Heel-face turn. It's a trope. (Everything is these days...)

Back in 1962 or thereabouts, when you could walk right into a firehouse, my friends and I would hang out at the local firehouse and watch the guys play ping pong. They were every bit as intense about it as the group at 51.

On 1/5/2017 at 1:40 PM, Rapunzel said:

You could be right - this all happened in the first season of Chicago Fire, so I might not recall every detail and have not re-watched since the original airing. In any case, the "redemption" of Voight is still ridiculous given how awful he truly was (and still can be, on occasion). The fact that Antonio may have arrested him back then makes it even more irritating that Antonio would agree to work for Voight (and was pretty much his right hand man until he just now is being transferred, presumably, to Chicago Justice) and that Casey would still be involved with someone connected to Voight in any way, shape or form - in this case, that massively manipulative, selfish, needy, she-monster known as Gabby. 

To be fair, Antonio had helped Casey all along when it came to dealing with Voight.

Antonio didn't actually intend to start working for Voight, but when Voight was released, he was put in charge of the Intelligence Division.  Antonio's division.  Antonio also kind of owed him a debt (technically it was Gabby's debt, but she'd undertaken it to try to protect Antonio, who'd gotten shot.)

I've never seen enough PD to see how that resolved, but at least per Season 1 of Chicago Fire, Antonio was not happy about the arrangement.

15 hours ago, squidprincess said:

To be fair, Antonio had helped Casey all along when it came to dealing with Voight.

Antonio didn't actually intend to start working for Voight, but when Voight was released, he was put in charge of the Intelligence Division.  Antonio's division.  Antonio also kind of owed him a debt (technically it was Gabby's debt, but she'd undertaken it to try to protect Antonio, who'd gotten shot.)

I've never seen enough PD to see how that resolved, but at least per Season 1 of Chicago Fire, Antonio was not happy about the arrangement.

Antonio could have left Voight a couple of times and could have even turned him in for other offenses on PD (despite knowing what Voight was capable of and actually guilty of after the Casey situation). He opted not to. The only reason he is leaving now is because Voight recommend him to head up his own team with the US Attorney's office (which, apparently, may be where Ruzek is going as well). Antonio didn't want to leave when he was initially offered this position and went straight to Voight to basically ask why he was being shoved out of Voight's unit. Voight's response was basically that he felt Antonio was ready to handle his own  team. 

Also, Antonio helped Casey before he really worked for Voight and was brought in to help at Gabby's request. Antonio still agreed to take the job with Voight (and continued to turn a blind eye towards Voight's behavior) despite Voight's horrid and illegal behavior towards Casey, Hallie and his outright hostility towards 51 in general. 

Edited by Rapunzel

I think it is time to clarify spoilers here. Any details about a show prior to airing must be spoiler tagged in the episode thread. Once it does air, however, discussion for this show is fair game. That said, crossovers deserve tags as the endings do not come until another night. And, even after that, details that occur on the other show go in that thread and the details get tagged here. So let me break it down: If somehow someone sees an episode BEFORE "official" air time? Tag spoilers. Crossovers? Tags, if talking about details on another show. But after an episode airs PROVIDED the details stick to this show alone? No tags. Apologies to those who may watch on a delay, but that seems to have always been the policy that once the show airs on the east coast, you enter at your own risk. Once it airs, it is fair game. That being said, I am keeping the tags I put in above because of murky crossover talk from Chicago PD that should go in THAT thread.

Thanks.

Any other questions, please PM me!