Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E09: Snow Ball

Artsda

When Manny and Luke put on the school's lavish winter dance and end up over their heads due to a texting error, it is up to them to fix it before the end of the night. 

Not much of any real  family togetherness for a Christmas episode. It was all about the school dance. Haley, Lily & Alex weren't even in it.

• Love 4

Not enjoyable, especially the storyline about the gay high school bully.  I wanted to punch him, and was glad when Mitchell stuffed him in the locker.  I didn't miss Alex or Haley.  Luke is becoming arrogant and I'm tired of Phil needing to spend quality time with Jay.  This season is so hit or miss for me.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, SoothingDave said:

And I don't think high school kids get to spend $8000 without any oversight.  

I think the Principal's line about not caring since they capped his pay might cover that. 

I quite enjoyed the episode. Mitchell shoving the snarky kid in the locker was very funny, and I liked the dig at the President elect.

• Love 6

What was the dig about the presiden elect? Either I didn't hear it or it went over my head. :)

This ep wasn't very good. Tired of Phil needs Jay's approval. Surprised Claire didn't take a few swigs out of the vodka bottle she conviscated (sp?). Luke and Manny are increasing uncomfortable to watch. Manny is like a 50 yr old man. Luke can't act. Cam, obnoxious as always. Did like Mitch stuffing that kid in the locker though.

• Love 4

I might be a bad person, but I cheered when Mitchell shoved the jerky kid into a locker. Poor Mitchell, realizing that not all gay teens are tortured woobies. Now, gay kids can be assholes too! Progress?

Surprising lack of family fluffy scenes, but I still enjoyed it. 

My biggest laugh? The terrible commercial Luke and Manny made, complete with obvious fake tears. The best Manny is a quick Manny that gets off the screen soon.

• Love 5

I did like how the kid still snarked at Jay and Phil even though they freed him from the locker.  (How does that kid have any friends?  It seems no one is safe from his snark.)

Maybe Haley and Alex were babysitting Joe and Lily, since the parents of the younger kids didn't act like they had any younger kids.  At least Haley got a mention.

• Love 1

This may have been the worst episode that Modern Family has ever had.  The tone seemed all over the place but was generally kind of sour and mean-spirited.  Everyone was being self-oriented or manipulative throughout the entire episode, and the lying and game-playing seemed practically non-stop.  I liked it when the family consisted of characters who were generally nice, good people who liked each other.  Can we get back to that, please?

Edited by mikem
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I usually like that SNL comedian, Vanessa Bayer, is that her name? They did not make good use of her. 

I thought it was not necessary for it to be a giant let down that the principal thought Gloria was into him (even though she is married) and was disappointed that it was her character instead.  I like Gloria, but it gets old...Vanessa Bayer is a perfectly attractive woman.

Also, did not love that a take charge woman must be desperate and lonely, though I understand she was supposed to be horribly annoying.  Also, Principal Prince seemed to be a jerk to me, but maybe that is why they are compatible?

Manny and Luke anchoring an episode is not a great idea.  I think Phil should realize that Jay loves him by now, but does not enjoy a lot of his interests.  Forcing your father in law into a hot tub with you is weird.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Tony said:

Once again, Cam is the annoying needy man-child and is pretty much unwatchable

19 hours ago, kat165 said:

Tired of Phil needs Jay's approval

Both of these situations have definitely worn thin.

• Love 2

Should have made it that the the budget was $80, but Manny thought it was $800.  Manny is supposed to be smart enough to realize that no high school dance has a budget of $8,000 (wouldn't he wonder why last year's dance was much more cheaply done?)

And don't most schools sell tickets to the dance that should cover most of the costs?

I wouldn't be nit-picking this if the episode had been entertaining.  I don't need it to be sappy, but the most heartwarming moment of a Christmas episode shouldn't be that Cam was supposed to get pranked after all.    

51 minutes ago, needschocolate said:

Should have made it that the the budget was $80, but Manny thought it was $800.  Manny is supposed to be smart enough to realize that no high school dance has a budget of $8,000 (wouldn't he wonder why last year's dance was much more cheaply done?)

My friend supervises the school activities committee in a non-affluent school and their budget for the dances other than prom are about 7-10k Not all comes from the activity budget, ticket sales and fundraising. Last year's prom was about 50k.

Edited by biakbiak
On 12/15/2016 at 1:30 PM, kat165 said:

What was the dig about the president elect? Either I didn't hear it or it went over my head. :)

To come up with the $8000 (to cover the cost of the dance) Luke announced that a kickstarter would be created to help a classmate in need and he expected his fellow students to give generously.  Manny said for that he deserved to be president.

• Love 1
On December 20, 2016 at 8:56 PM, AD35 said:

To come up with the $8000 (to cover the cost of the dance) Luke announced that a kickstarter would be created to help a classmate in need and he expected his fellow students to give generously.  Manny said for that he deserved to be president.

Luke is already president -- of the student body. Right?

1 hour ago, Lukeysboat said:

Luke is already president -- of the student body. Right?

Yes but earlier Manny was complaining that Luke didn't deserve to be President because he wasn't doing any of the work so it was Manny acknowledging that Luke did have a certain set if skills that made it a good thing he was President (ie the ability to lie).

• Love 1
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Yes but earlier Manny was complaining that Luke didn't deserve to be President because he wasn't doing any of the work so it was Manny acknowledging that Luke did have a certain set if skills that made it a good thing he was President (ie the ability to lie).

Right, I understand this.  I guess I just don't see this as a commentary on current politics. 

• Love 1

Perhaps

Neither do I, nor did the post you quoted allude to that either.

Perhaps Gulftastic, who made the original comment could come back and explain.  AD35 came up with an explanation, but it didn't seem to fit (IMHO).  So I'm as lost as kat165, who was quoted by AD35.  Then Lukeysboat quoted AD35's explanation (AD35 thought they understood it) stating they were confused as well.

But now biakbiak is saying they don't understand the connection and is referencing that AD35 didn't either - because that's who Lukeysboat quoted.  But AD35 DID understand, so to speak.  Which is a contradiction.

Those who seem to understand = Gulftastic, AD35

Those who don't = kat165, Lukeysboat, and perhaps biakbiak, and me!

I need a spreadsheet.  Or a glass of wine.

• Love 1

I don't think it's that confusing, the sterotype of lying politicians is not something that was invented in 2016.

The OP, Gulftastic, said he/she "liked the dig at the President elect." I assumed this referred to the president --elect of the United States. I believe others did too and someone said that he or she did not get the dig. That's how this all started.

And now that we've gone through all this ad infinium I can safely say that it's all a matter of interpretation. I didn't hear the dig at the president elect because I don't think it's a dig at him. If it was a dig at all I'm seeing it more along the lines of what biakbiak said. But this is my interpretation only.

And it's kind of a shame that this ep was lame that this is all we can come up with to talk about!

Edited by kat165
  • Love 2

I thought that this was one of the worst episodes.  Too much focus on Manny and Luke (who I prefer in smaller doses).  Now a trip back in history when I was an activities director (at two different high schools)...students are not allowed to sign contracts-the activities director or supervisor would sign the contracts (because...legalities).  Therefore, the supervisor would know how much the students wanted to spend and the cost of the various elements.  Also, ticket sales should cover the costs of the dance as the students (and supervisor) would budget as to how many tickets had to be sold at what price in order to cover all costs.  Any profit beyond that would be used for future activities or for charitable purposes.  So, Manny having the ability/authority to totally overspend is so unrealistic.

I also didn't like Claire and Gloria manipulating the organizer and principal.  Just say no to any future requests for volunteering.  The family is not the only family at the school.  Cam just tires me out.  Also, although the bully was a jerk, there would be such a lawsuit for Mitchell (an ADULT) putting his hands on, and then shoving into a locker, the bully.  However, it was consistent with Mitchell's previous actions such as when he had to play against and beat a child at handball, and then continually put down the young girl who came to their house for a play date with Lily when the younger child was out-performing Lily.  Mitchell is a bully, but only to children.  Having written that, I realize that the character of Mitchell really has a problem with children, and perhaps that is what attracted him to Cam as Cam is very childish in some of his behaviors.

• Love 6
On 12/23/2016 at 10:10 PM, Lukeysboat said:

The OP, Gulftastic, said he/she "liked the dig at the President elect." I assumed this referred to the president --elect of the United States. I believe others did too and someone said that he or she did not get the dig. That's how this all started.

I didn't really like this episode so I wasn't paying close, close attention. But I thought in addition to the generic "politicians lie" insinuation, there was a more specific dig at the president-elect. If the episode wasn't so meh I'd go back and watch again and listen for that quote. 

Edited by love2lovebadtv