Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Welcome Back

God help me, but I actually am really excited for this show. Yeah its stupid and cheesy, but it knows what it is, and embraces it. And I can appreciate any show that can randomly turn into an environmental message and turn that into a big group hug. While the extremely excitably studio audience losses its minds every five minutes. 

I was right there with Steve on the "calm down guys". Speaking of Steve, if this was a different kind of show, this whole Matt/Steve/DJ love triangle was five seconds from turning into a threesome. Just saying.

• Love 3

So, that was the premiere. I'm not quite sure if I enjoyed it. I didn't laugh much at anything that happened. I know that I have to get back into the show and embrace the cheese that comes with it, but maybe my tastes have changed. Either season 2 is not as fun as season 1 for me, or it's just going to take me time to get back into the swing of things. 

Let's look at the new characters. I liked Jimmy to an extent. I liked Crystal and CJ. As for old characters, Fernando still annoys the hell out of me. I know it's a sitcom show, but him not asking if he can move in and then dismissing the concerns and inserting himself so rudely? I am not liking him and he has done nothing this episode to revert my opinion about him from the first season! And now I get stuck with him being a main cast member. Well, let's see if my opinion will change. 

Lola, on the other hand, grew on me. Maybe it's because she doesn't seem interested in Jackson at all and she's all about her friendship with Ramona. As long as she continues to reject Jackson, then I'm cool with her. But I know that she'll end up falling for Jackson and they'll be a couple at some point in the season. So, yeah. 

I still really love Matt and I do enjoy his friendship with Steve. I also am less annoyed with Steve, but I'm in no way really rooting for him and DJ. I'm still a DJ/Matt fan, maybe because I like the idea of DJ not ending up with her first boyfriend. DJ/Steve have an awesome friendship, but he's too goofy and too obsessed with her to have them end up together. He needs to chill out. At least Matt found a girl that's less like DJ (not completely) and not nicknamed CJ and a doctor and blonde and a hugger. 

This show does well on the heartwarming moments, like the last five minutes. Those last five minutes did convince me to keep watching today instead of putting it off for a few weeks/months. But maybe the humour doesn't appeal to me anymore. I didn't even laugh at the Gibbler Gallop. I didn't even really laugh at Jimmy, who I guess is supposed to be funny? 

Also, baby Tommy's pretty cute. The baby reaction shots are always well done on this show. It worked with the Olsen twins when they were babies, and it works here. 

Basically, I either need to chill out and embrace the cheese, or I'll continue complaining about the season. Well, let's hope for the former! 

• Love 2

I know I may be in the minority on this one, but Fernando has grown on me. I actually like that he has moved in. Like it or not, he is a part of Kimmy and Ramona's lives and always will be. 

As for Jimmy, I didn't really know what to think of him at first. Step hasn't had any lasting relationships, so who knows? He may be the one who lasts.

The Matt/Steve and their girlfriends situation was a little weird. Especially CJ. I really do not like that Steve is being written as a obsessed nutcase. He and DJ broke up on mutual terms back in the day.

• Love 4

They should have had Matt and Steve date. Stephanie and Kimmy made out last with each other last season, why were they acting appalled that Steph kissed Jimmy? Saying all that this show is much more progressive than the original. 

The CJ plot is such a tired cliche and makes Steve look even more obsessed. If they are not going to make them gay then Matt is better option since he can date women that are nothing like DJ. 

Don't know how I feel about Jimmy. Kimmy has her quirks but she's not a complete idiot that puts stuff on his head like a toddler. Although he didn't seem that dumb when he was talking to Stephanie earlier, then the moment they revealed he's a Gibbler his IQ dropped about 100 points. But, wow does he look like Ashton Kutcher. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 3
On 12/10/2016 at 11:44 AM, Sakura12 said:

Don't know how I feel about Jimmy. Kimmy has her quirks but she's a complete idiot that puts stuff on his head like a toddler. Although he didn't seem that dumb when he was talking to Stephanie earlier, then the moment they revealed he's a Gibbler his IQ dropped about 100 points. But, wow does he look like Ashton Kutcher. 

According to IMDB, the actor who plays Jimmy played Ashton in a Brittany Murphy TV movie. 

• Love 3

I guess it's nice that DJ could take the summer vacation to both find herself and get over her deceased husband. 

Having Steve date "CJ" pretty much telegraphed that the endgame is DJ and Steve together... But I guess the show is all about predictability. :) 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, LaChavalina said:

Having Steve date "CJ" pretty much telegraphed that the endgame is DJ and Steve together... But I guess the show is all about predictability. :) 

I mean, if I were DJ, having Steve date CJ would be the first reason why I'd go running in the opposite direction.

In the beginning I was all about the DJ/Steve endgame. I liked the idealistic "end up with the high school love" cheesiness. But then they made Steve neurotic, obsessive, and co-dependent and all of a sudden Matt was the much more appealing option. 

It's weird, because isn't Steve/DJ the fairytale ending? He waited, he's still in love, etc etc. But seeing that play out in this show feels creepy. Matt is a much more normal level of sitcom obsessive. He's kind of over the top and silly about it, but I don't get the vibe that Matt is one step away from locking DJ in the basement in order for them to be together forever like Steve is.

• Love 4
On 12/12/2016 at 5:43 PM, McManda said:

I mean, if I were DJ, having Steve date CJ would be the first reason why I'd go running in the opposite direction.

In the beginning I was all about the DJ/Steve endgame. I liked the idealistic "end up with the high school love" cheesiness. But then they made Steve neurotic, obsessive, and co-dependent and all of a sudden Matt was the much more appealing option. 

It's weird, because isn't Steve/DJ the fairytale ending? He waited, he's still in love, etc etc. But seeing that play out in this show feels creepy. Matt is a much more normal level of sitcom obsessive. He's kind of over the top and silly about it, but I don't get the vibe that Matt is one step away from locking DJ in the basement in order for them to be together forever like Steve is.

It is for me! I don't care. Love Steve. It's probably like 50% residual love from original recipe Full House and 50% Aladdin love - but I'll be pretty bummed if he and DJ don't end up together.

Second best option is Steve and Matt ending up together. 

Stephanie is still the best actor on this show, though. She does no wrong in my book. 

• Love 2

Am I the only one who thinks that the girlfriends are fake? Women that Steve and Matt know who agreed to pretend to be their gfs to make DJ jealous? Maybe Matt's gf is like Steve's little sister or cousin or something, and Steve's gf is Matt's relative? Idk, seemed fishy to me, and also there was a part where Matt was like, "YOU HAVE A NEW BOYFRIEND?" to DJ, and his "girlfriend" pulled him down kind of like, "Whoa, calm down, you're losing your cool".

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Zima said:

Am I the only one who thinks that the girlfriends are fake? Women that Steve and Matt know who agreed to pretend to be their gfs to make DJ jealous? Maybe Matt's gf is like Steve's little sister or cousin or something, and Steve's gf is Matt's relative? Idk, seemed fishy to me, and also there was a part where Matt was like, "YOU HAVE A NEW BOYFRIEND?" to DJ, and his "girlfriend" pulled him down kind of like, "Whoa, calm down, you're losing your cool".

Yeah, I completely assumed that the girlfriends were fake as well.

Or if they are real, Matt's little outburst definitely shows that he is not over DJ, and is probably less interested in his girl than Steve is in CJ.

• Love 1

I really didn't like how creepy and obsessive Steve was last year, but to be fair to Steve this year, he didn't pick out CJ, Matt picked her out for him. They found each other girlfriends. So on one hand, Matt is the best wingman ever and really knows his friend's tastes, on the other hand he's pawning off a discount DJ on to his rival, so he can go for the real thing.

• Love 5

I am obviously a terrible human being for knowing this, but Kimmy's brother was mentioned in the original. We never saw him, but Kimmy, who was established as a very good driver (the only reason she was on this planet, as Danny opined - which nobody tried to counter) acted as a chauffeur for DJ and Stephanie in her brother's car, which was a souped-up multi-coloured neon horror with animal print seat covers. I'll go get my coat...

• Love 7

This is off the top of my head so I'm not really sure... but wasn't he named garth? I remember a brother being mentioned a few times, but I always thought it was an older brother. Like I said I could be totally off, I haven't seen the original show in many many years... but my best friends 6 yr old watches the original I should ask her.  Wasn't the brother also mentioned when Kimmy pierced Stephanie ears?

• Love 1

If Jimmy is about 25, he would have been too young to hang out with Michelle (he would have been 4-ish in 1995) and we can pretend that Jesse and Rebecca didn't want their twins anywhere near a Gibbler.

Or Jimmy actually IS Kimmy's older brother, and he's just a 44-year old who happens to look 25.

• Love 1