Type keyword(s) to search

S42.E09: John Cena / Maren Morris

• Start Topic

59 minutes ago, helenamonster said:

Another great part of the Cathy Anne bit was when she was wondering why we couldn't call people with swastika tattoos who said "Heil Hitler" Nazis. "I thought it was called White Pride, aren't you supposed to be proud of it?"

I laughed really hard at the follow up "Just say what you are! You're not McCafe, you're McDonalds! And I'm not here for a fancy cappuccino -- I'm here because I burned some bridges at Wendy's!"

• Love 5

Maren Morris is a hottie. I think I've only seen her on tv one other time, and I usually don't care for the musical guests, but I was actually wishing she had another song. And I really don't like country music, either, but I do like her style. But, yeah, she doesn't have the best voice in the world.

Are there any confirmed Adventure Time fans on the writing staff? Because I'm 80 percent certain they got "WHAT THE BUTT?!?" from that show. Hey, I saw the original The Karate Kid back in '84. Watching John Cena embrace his inner Zabka was hilarious, as was Kenan's Mr. Miyagi character. And "Daniel-san" got knocked out of his pants. Inspired.

ETA: Here's the Robot Chicken take on the climax. I think Ralph Macchio and Billy Zabka reprised their roles for that.

Another great part of the Cathy Anne bit was when she was wondering why we couldn't call people with swastika tattoos who said "Heil Hitler" Nazis. "I thought it was called White Pride, aren't you supposed to be proud of it?"

This, along with Drunk Uncle's take on Trump last year ("Finally someone is saying the things that I've been thinking ... as well as saying. It's like I'm running for president!") are so true, and extremely damning if you're paying attention. 

John Cena was a treat, very talented. Doesn't hurt that he looks like Matt Damon on steroids. Shallow note: his pants in the monologue--so poorly fitted! 

Bobby Moynihan is such a joy in everything. The Waddler—hilarious and such a fun throwback to my childhood as a WWF fan. 

There were some fun bad wigs in this one!

• Love 1
11 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I think instead of "Heil Hitler," she said, "Hi Hitler." :D

• Love 2

I like how Cathy Anne has become the mirror image of Girl at The Party -- Cathy Anne is someone who we're supposed to assume isn't "informed" and then everything she says is totally logical and smart, while Girl at The Party is supposed to appear informed at first glance and then comes out with incoherent drivel.

Loved the sketch about the inside of Trump's mind. I haven't stopped trying to figure that horror show out since he announced his candidacy. I loved the part where Bobby said "we are your people, not Hollywood models" because it is so confusing how Trump both thrives on and is disgusted by his support from his followers. Loved Kellyanne as his mom. I think it would have been funny if it had included his dad calling him a loser, but it makes sense it didn't because it's not like his dad's ridiculous narcissism has been part of the campaign, minus a few backstory pieces.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, helenamonster said:

Another glitch I noticed was that the audio was off during parts of "Through Donald's Eyes." At one point it was several seconds ahead or behind (I think ahead) of the visual. I was hoping to watch it again on YouTube this morning but they hadn't put it up last time I checked, and I'm wondering if it's because they're trying to clean up the audio.

I wonder if this was intentional. I downloaded a version from the web (Hulu rip I believe) and it was the same way. It's sort of at the point where Trump is getting drowsy as his "mommy" Kellyanne Conway is trying to get him back to sleep so maybe it is just like him sort of starting to fall asleep and everything is becoming cloudy and unclear. Then again, with all the other weird technical glitches in this episode, who knows.

• Love 2

I have to admit that in the "through Trump's eyes" sketch, when he was headed towards the romantic scene on the stairway, I fully expected it to be Ivanka standing on the stairs.  But, it being Trump worked, too.  

Kate and Cecily were both amazing on WU.  I think Cena was a good, up for anything, host.  When they bring in people who are known for other (non-acting) fields, it's always a toss up as to whether they'll be good or terrible, and I think he was really, really good, comparable to Eli Manning (whose episode I loved). 

As for next week, there is pretty much zero chance it will be as good as last year's Tina/Amy/Springsteen Christmas episode.  

• Love 1

I didn't think the Trump video was clever at all.  I am not AT ALL a Trump voter but I think they are being awfully heavy handed about Trump. Yeah, him just standing there is comical but it seems like such an easy, quick laugh going after him.

Most clever was Angela Merkel.  Such a great line  "ah yes, in America you call it the alt-right, in Germany we call it 'why grand papa has to live in Argentina'" and the candy house was hysterical.

Why is Sasheer there? Will she and VillaSenor ever get to play other than "girl in the office" type roles??? They are using Alex and Mikey constantly.

Edited by WhineandCheez
8 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

I didn't think the Trump video was clever at all.  I am not AT ALL a Trump voter but I think they are being awfully heavy handed about Trump. Yeah, him just standing there is comical but it seems like such an easy, quick laugh going after him.

Most clever was Angela Merkel.  Such a great line  "ah yes, in America you call it the alt-right, in Germany we call it 'why grand papa has to live in Argentina'" and the candy house was hysterical.

Why is Sasheer there? Will she and VillaSenor ever get to play other than "girl in the office" type roles??? They are using Alex and Mikey constantly.

I think he's a toad, but the Trump video was too much and it wasn't funny.  This is the kind of thing one would expect would get cut after dress or if they were running long at all.  It just seems like the type of thing that would land in the writer's room & table read, but thud to an audience. 

I'm thinking Sasheer just got caught by the juggernaut that is Leslie Jones.  It doesn't seem like that long ago they had Keenan and Jay refusing to do the female African-american roles in drag.  Sasheer struck me as being more versatile.  Was anyone but me wondering wtf Leslie Jones was doing in the Bad-Bad-Santa sketch in the Emma Stone episode playing an eastern European person?

Edited by JZL

As for next week, there is pretty much zero chance it will be as good as last year's Tina/Amy/Springsteen Christmas episode.  

I made the mistake of watching some of  that episode because it aired as the 10 pm rerun.  That Poehler Hillary and McKinnon Hillary sketch was like a dagger to the heart. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, ktwo said:

I made the mistake of watching some of  that episode because it aired as the 10 pm rerun.  That Poehler Hillary and McKinnon Hillary sketch was like a dagger to the heart. 

I turned on the TV during the opening credits of that episode and turned it off as soon as I saw the host/musical guest. The wounds are still too fresh.

• Love 2

When Colin said on WU that Trump was like when the rich, cool jock gets elected student president I said "No. Trump is not cool, never has been and never will be. That's actually why he's such a mess." I was wondering if his tweeting had gotten to them but then the pre-tape came and eased my fears.

Looking back, I think Dwayne Johnson did a better job as "The Rock Obama" than Cena in the short sketch. It's a pity Jay Pharaoh is gone and Michael Che hasn't been asked to fill the role. Maybe we can get Leslie as "She Rock."

I don't know why the "I know he's watching" line was funny. It was a statement of fact, given he tweeted about the show before. 

Anyone notice the accents Cena did? Decent Alabama southern accent vs. other southern accents, a Chicago accent and a so-so Boston accent. Impressed he went for them.

Katate Kid and Alabama football player were odd... they were broad, untopical, obvious subjects, and when the judge made a comment that clearly showed they were in on it,it was less funny than if they had continued to play as if nothing was amiss. If the show had picked U. North Carolina, with its 18 years of fake classes for athletes and a current NCAA investigation, it would at least have had a relevant hook.

The rest was meh. Liked the Wendy's line. 

1 hour ago, Ottis said:

I don't know why the "I know he's watching" line was funny. It was a statement of fact, given he tweeted about the show before.

"Only the truth is funny."  Rick Reynolds says so, and he knows. 

5 hours ago, Ottis said:

I don't know if it was funny in the traditional sense, but for me at least it was a little cathartic. It was the show's way of acknowledging Donnie's response to their material about him and letting him know that no matter how many tantrums he throws, they won't let up on him or his pending administration.

• Love 1

I missed this episode and just saw the clip online of the Alabama science exam. That's my school, and the J-School building, from which I am a proud graduate, opened and closed the sketch. Roll Tide and all, but I did have to laugh at the accuracy. (No, seriously, Roll Tide.)

• Love 1