Type keyword(s) to search

Trader Joe's

Spunkygal
  • Start Topic

Okay, now I have a reason to revisit Trader Joe's. We're visiting my stepdaughter and family, and for dinner tonight she made a pre-marinated beef pot roast from Trader Joe's.. It was delicious. I'm definitely going to get some.

• Love 5

Naan in the bakery section.  Not frozen.

On a whim I bought the garlic version.  It's smelly and OK, but should I have gotten the non-garlic version and added my own?

(I know the answer - just want your opinions.)

1 hour ago, spiderpig said:

Naan in the bakery section.  Not frozen.

On a whim I bought the garlic version.  It's smelly and OK, but should I have gotten the non-garlic version and added my own?

(I know the answer - just want your opinions.)

Yes, always yes. When i get take out and want garlic naan,I still order plain naan and just before its delivered heat up garlic and some chives or scallions in oil and than pour it over the naan and put it in a broiler for 30 secs.

• Love 2

My sister just sent me a blog, Between Naps On The Porch.  The blogger was talking about TJ's and what she's tried (it started off being about what folks who are lactose intolerant can eat safely). But she then gets into the cinnamon buns that are supposed to be as good as the real thing at the mall (she and folks who responded to her blog agree).  People were recommending whipping cream in a box, Peach Bellini, refrigerated rolled pie crusts, canned pumpkin, and bottled cider.  I wrote down these items and will try them (I'm really interested in those cinnamon buns, heh heh). Thanks for the warning re: the garlic naan.  I love TJ's frozen regular naan but never tried the garlic version.  Think I'll stick with the regular.  That pre-marinated beef pot roast sounds good.  I'm going to look for it next trip.

• Love 1

I returned from my last trip to the US 9 days ago.  I'm rationing my dark chocolate peanut butter cups.  I don't dare buy the big tub, only the small bags.  And once a bag is open, it's gone.  How many can/should a person eat in a day?

Just now, Quof said:

I'm rationing my dark chocolate peanut butter cups.  I don't dare buy the big tub, only the small bags.  And once a bag is open, it's gone.  How many can/should a person eat in a day?

There are nine in a bag, and I force myself to make three servings out of that.  I love those things.

• Love 1

Well, peanut butter has protein in it, and dark chocolate is good for your heart.  So I would say approximately 24 per day would be good.  1 per hour to maintain optimum levels of chocolate and peanut butter in your system.  But I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV.

• Love 15

TJ's Sweet Plaintain Chips are wonderful (not the plaintain chips in the purple bag with monkeys).  There's a vicious rumor I ate an entire bag in 1 day.  Not true.

I dropped one and my big dopey dog inhaled it.

• Love 2

I recently got some Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups in the plastic tub, and I blame you all! OMG, so good. Crack in a plastic tub. Up there with the now-defunct cocoa-dusted chocolate-covered almonds TJ's used to make that also came in a plastic tub.

• Love 1

Just back from our weekly TJ run.  Two observations.

Their Hot 'n' Spicy Dill Pickle Slices are a pretty close approximation to the beloved Tony Packo's Hot Sweets from Toledo, OH.

Their new items shelf carried a sign for coffee-rubbed spatchcocked chicken.  Turns out it's already been discontinued.  Anybody have a chance to try it?

• Love 1

Ha!

By the way, the word spactchcocked popped into my head a couple times over the weekend after reading it here. It's funny word, and to me it means "make your chicken look like it got run over by a car", but in a nice neat way.

32 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Ha!

By the way, the word spactchcocked popped into my head a couple times over the weekend after reading it here. It's funny word, and to me it means "make your chicken look like it got run over by a car", but in a nice neat way.

I'd never heard the term until a recent competition on Food Network, although it sounds like something you'd view on Cinemax After Dark.

We got the lemon/thyme variety and put it on our smoker for 30 minutes.  Mr. pig scarfed it up and gave it his Lazyboy Seal of Approval. 

• Love 2

I've been meaning to try the spatchcocked chicken so I'm going to put that on my list for next weekend. 

I had a craving for chocolate cake (it was a crappy weekend) so I got a patisserie chocolate cake from TJ's bakery section. It's really tasty. I may or may not have had a piece for breakfast.

I had no idea you could buy them at Trader Joes.  When I first heard about this a couple of years I intended to do this but never did.  It is very easy to do, just looked to see it was. 

• Love 2

It's in the poultry-meat refrigerated section.  Vacuum pack so you get that lemony-thyme infused goodness.

We could always get a whole chicken and perform the surgery ourselves, but when you're looking for a quick meal at 5pm, why not let TJs do the work?

We tossed it in the cart and an hour later were savoring a pretty darned good meal. (with grilled Mexican corn - frozen - that came with a pack of cheese to sprinkle on top.)

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Basically, "spatchcocked" is just a fancy word for "butterflied".

Spatchcocked is more fun, though.  Also, bonus points from the Butterfly Antidefamation League!

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

It's in the poultry-meat refrigerated section.  Vacuum pack so you get that lemony-thyme infused goodness.

We could always get a whole chicken and perform the surgery ourselves, but when you're looking for a quick meal at 5pm, why not let TJs do the work?

We tossed it in the cart and an hour later were savoring a pretty darned good meal. (with grilled Mexican corn - frozen - that came with a pack of cheese to sprinkle on top.)

Oh, I agree!  It is on my list.  

Spatchcocking is surprisingly easy but looks like you really had to make an effort. A couple of years ago I spatchcocked a turkey for Thanksgiving. I was ridiculously proud of myself, especially considering it was just me and the husband. It had the best crispy skin.

• Love 3

I bought the ravioli that has ricotta inside.  Boiled them, drained and tossed in some Irish butter, garlic powder, Mural of Flavor, parmigiana-reggianno, and a squeeze of lemon juice.  Wow--was that ever delicious!

• Love 2
On 5/1/2017 at 11:27 AM, spiderpig said:

I'd never heard the term until a recent competition on Food Network, although it sounds like something you'd view on Cinemax After Dark.

We got the lemon/thyme variety and put it on our smoker for 30 minutes.  Mr. pig scarfed it up and gave it his Lazyboy Seal of Approval. 

Wow, what a coincidence - I saw the lemon/thyme variety at TJs 2 days ago but didn't buy it because I had already lined up the next few days of food.  The store manager just happened to be there and told me it's FANTASTIC so it's now on my shopping list for next time.

I've known of the term spatchcock since the unforgettable episode of "Julia and Jacques" where they spatchcocked a turkey to cook over stuffing.  I remember thinking how filthy that word sounded, and how like Julia it was to utter it so freely and without reservation, LOL.

• Love 2

I tried the pizza dough for the first time (garlic/herb). Made a pizza at home. It was okay, but salty -- probably the pepperoni. Next time, vegetarian. 

(edited)

Today for lunch I had one of TJ's pre made salads. It was the broccoli slaw with kale salad and had chicken and sweet and tangy dressing. It was good, but I am having problems making friends with kale. I love all other leafy greens but kale is not very personable! Next time, I will pick the kale out and substitute with spinach, which I always have in the fridge. I also got the jicama mango slaw with a lime mango vinaigrette and plan to have that with tonight's salmon. I may add a drop or two of the green Tabasco sauce to the dressing. I also got the lemon rosemary spatchcocked chicken to fix this weekend.

edited: no Tabasco was needed to enhance the jicama mango slaw dressing. It has a delightful kick. The slaw and dressing would be good on fish tacos.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, ariel said:

Kale is all the rage,  but I don't like it.

I feed it to the Bearded dragon; she likes it with a little summer squash and some raspberries. The guinea pigs get the stalks. But if anybody is judging my healthy eating habits when I'm checking out at the supermarket, they don't need to know that.  

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

I feed it to the Bearded dragon; she likes it with a little summer squash and some raspberries.

It took me a minute to realize you meant an actual bearded dragon and not your daughter (she's a vegetarian right?).  We had odd terms of endearment in my family so it made sense in my head.

36 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

and not your daughter (she's a vegetarian right?).

Ha! Yes, although she seems to be more of a carb and cheese-atarian than a vegetarian. I'm working on it.

My daughter was a non-meat eater (or fish) for about the first 12 years, with the exception of some bacon every once in a while.  Around the time some growth sports kicked in, so did her taste for meat.  She still subsists carbs and dairy for the most part though.

• Love 1
On 6/6/2017 at 10:19 AM, Spunkygal said:

I also got the lemon rosemary spatchcocked chicken to fix this weekend.

Apparently, spatchcocked chicken is all the rage, because Costco had it, too. 

I really wish I could find a vegetable I felt that way about it.  The best I've been able to do is, "Well, I don't hate it." when it comes to butternut squash or asparagus.

• Love 1

I'm like that with brussel sprouts too. Mr Mellow and I eat all of our brussel sprouts before dinner is actually served. I don't think it's ever made it onto our plates as a side dish. 

One thing I'm not good with...... raw leafy greens. I despise lettuce. Miserable stuff. 

• Love 1

Bought gyro meat from the prepared food section and taziki (with the dips) for gyros on naan bread (not from TJ's). This will go into the hot weather rotation! The gyro meat it not as spiced as I would like but it's pretty good.

• Love 1
On 6/6/2017 at 1:19 PM, Spunkygal said:

I also got the lemon rosemary spatchcocked chicken to fix this weekend.

How did you like it?  I made mine last night.  It was so fantastic Mr. Snarklepuss woke up this morning and told me he dreamed about it all last night!  I threw some onions and carrots in the pan.  I should have put a little olive oil on them but it didn't seem to matter. I served it with some couscous.  Next time I would add a little garlic and more lemon slices and perhaps potatoes but otherwise it doesn't need anything!

Here's a pic:

Trader Joes Spatchcocked Lemon Rosemary Chicken 6-17-17.jpg

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

How did you like it?  I made mine last night.  It was so fantastic Mr. Snarklepuss woke up this morning and told me he dreamed about it all last night!  I threw some onions and carrots in the pan.  I should have put a little olive oil on them but it didn't seem to matter. I served it with some couscous.  Next time I would add a little garlic and more lemon slices and perhaps potatoes but otherwise it doesn't need anything!

Here's a pic:

Trader Joes Spatchcocked Lemon Rosemary Chicken 6-17-17.jpg

We very much enjoyed it! I added potatoes and onion to the pan. I think I'll add carrots next time too! Definitely a keeper. 

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

We very much enjoyed it! I added potatoes and onion to the pan. I think I'll add carrots next time too! Definitely a keeper. 

It looks very tasty.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 1

Does Trader Joe's still sell the 72% Swiss Dark Chocolate?  I went today (first time in a few years) and didn't see it, but I'm not a regular customer, so I might not have known where to look.

Bought the Spatchcocked chicken and made it for dinner, thanks to this thread!  :)

• Love 1

I highly recommend the Sesame Soy Ginger Vinaigrette. I glob some on a salmon filet, oven bake and then drizzle the concentrated residue over the filet. Really, really good! Of course, TJ's jasmine rice on the side!

Just returned from a 10 day vacation and am too tired to cook so went to TJ's for some pre made stuff and fruit. Tonight I had the chicken piccata from the refrigerated section. Pretty good! There are two cutlets and a packet of the sauce in the container. The breading was good but not heavy and I cooked the chicken according to directions which was 375 for 25 minutes. Then you boil the sauce packet for a few minutes. I served with cooked spaghetti finished in a skillet with pasta water, EVOO, a slight sprinkle of red pepper flakes, sautéed garlic, parsley and then a sprinkle of Parmesan. Overall, very satisfying. I am sure making from scratch would be perfect but it was nice for an easy and filling meal.  Or maybe it was the Chardonnay.

• Love 2
On 12/2/2016 at 8:08 PM, 17wheatthins said:

I love the Mandarin Orange Chicken and Vegetable Fried Rice like you wouldn't believe!! They are so delicious together! 

I really love this meal as well and also The Spicy Beef and Broccoli which I actually had last evening for dinner.

On 8/13/2017 at 3:57 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I bought the fruit tart, let it sit on the counter to thaw and served with (mildly sweetened) whipped cream.  It's very good!

I've been a fan of that for years.  They used to have a specific blueberry one but discontinued it, and that was my absolute favorite.

• Love 1