Type keyword(s) to search

OK...What's Next?

Just now, KIMBERLYANN11 said:

I'm sorry.  I was worried I would step on a toe but my fingers get away from me.  

I do have a friend who is transgendered who lives there who would give anyone the shirt off her back.  I also dated a guy from Warren who was one of the most kind-hearted people I ever knew and I never heard a racist thing come out of his mouth.  The actual government itself  did seem at one time to have that reputation though - not like Howell, but it was there. But since you live in the city itself and I don't, I concede the point.

It does sound like we kind of agree that they're awful though.

I don't live there anymore, and I wasn't disagreeing about their idiocy.   I just don't agree it is always about race.  I think they just don't care who or what they mess with.  

• Love 1

I posted Pokemon stuff on the Motivator thread. I found this, and I wanted to share. This is Ed Asner's character from The Boondocks, and I think the quote really fits these days.

31319739760_01ecabb849_z.jpg

Nice bit from George Carlin. I thought it would be the one about pro life people.  (Hiding the big line so I don't piss anybody off, even if George would reeeeeeeaallly want me not to do that)

Spoiler

"Preborn, you're fine. Preschool, you're fucked!!!"

• Love 6
34 minutes ago, navelgazer said:

George Carlin cuts right to it.  He explains how we got here.  

Yep. He hits the nail on the head with it. It's yet another obsession that they have. Along with trying to privatize everything and trying to destroy programs that have been helping people for a long time, any flaws aside.

• Love 3

Thanks @stillshimpy. Sometimes the sad just gets to me. If I have any kind of depression, it's minor but sometimes I have days or a week of not really being able to do productive things where minor tasks (e.g. returning library overdue library books) feel like an immense endeavor. I'm trying to get better at not just hiding and avoiding at these times. It's a safe space but a temporary fix. But it's not like I can just decide to not feel insecure or worthless or tired or whatever the case might be when the mood overtakes me. 

The rational voice is strong enough to keep me from ever self-harming or anything like that. But I can't seem to kick that enterprising spirit into gear if I'm not feeling it. You know, the part that makes a doctor's appointment while you still have insurance and polishes up resumes and writes essays and figures out what credits you need to finally get your diploma.

• Love 8
17 hours ago, stillshimpy said:

I don't think about my dad very often because my world so thoroughly changed after that, it was like my reality had actually ended ....and it had.  

But my new reality is what proved to me that I would figure it out somehow, always.

Awwwww stillshimpy. 

I think that along with this, which is important to know and believe, it's also good to keep in mind that things can turn on a dime in both directions. Not just from good to bad, both directions.  Berlin Walls go up, Berlin Walls come down. Nothing is permanent. One of my favorite tumblr posts is:

this is all just temporary

12 hours ago, Padma said:

I don't understand the GOP's need to control women's bodies

I don't get it either but even more, unless the statistics are a lie, college educated white women voted for him knowing that this would be the result. He wasn't coy about it, it's not some kind of a bad surprise, he said up front this was a goal: end abortion. I can't even blame the GOP here, it wasn't a secret agenda, nobody was conned.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Jordan27 said:

The leftwing elite liberal media of ABC, CBS, CNN, NBC have done a great disservice to our country with their propaganda of the Democrat Party. 

Doubt they are going to change though. 

As far as I'm concerned, the only "disservice" that the so-called "liberal media elite" have done was give Trump millions of dollars in free press while exploiting the Hillary/Democratic National Committee email hacks but ignoring the real scandals behind it-that a hostile foreign government with help from WikiLeaks blatantly and illegally interfered with our political process for their own purposes.

And then there's fake "news'" part in all this, with their planting phony stories on phony websites that IMO not only contributed to Hillary's EC defeat, one story ("Pizzagate") almost lead to bloodshed. If the shoe were on the other foot and Trump had won the popular vote but a hostile power run by a dictator had hacked the RNC and helped rig the election for Hillary, the same Republicans/conservatives who are kissing Vladimir Putin's ass would lose all their shit in record time. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 15
3 hours ago, Duke Silver said:

If we're lucky, Uday & Usay Drumpf will feel adventurous & pony-up the entry fee for this little shindig in Siberia:

What the f-k?! This is beyond evil. It allows for rape and murder. It's sadistic. G_d help us all would be an understatement.

2 hours ago, Hanahope said:

They don't necessarily want to end Medicare and social security, they just want to privatize it so they can profit off of it. 

As for abortions, that is to punish women who don't know their place.

Yep. And EVERYONE who isn't well off gets screwed, because they want their MONEY. They don't give a damn about anyone but themselves.

It's the 1950's and before again! Uh no guys... not going back there. Men need to be held accountable for their actions. But no, in their minds women need to know their place. /facepalm <-- to the Republicans in congress, etc. that think that way

• Love 4

Yea, yeah Trump supporters, I know the script, "who gives AF about what foreigners think." 

Anyway, I found this to be very sobering:

For all the intractable problems in our region, there is a sense of forward movement. When we visit America now, it feels like the opposite, like decay. Roads, airports, an economy, perhaps even a society, falling to pieces. We are left in awe by the extreme poverty as well as the extreme wealth.

Nearly half of the Australians surveyed said we should distance ourselves from a United States led by a president like Mr. Trump.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

What the f-k?! This is beyond evil. It allows for rape and murder. It's sadistic. G_d help us all would be an understatement.

Yep. And EVERYONE who isn't well off gets screwed, because they want their MONEY. They don't give a damn about anyone but themselves.

It's the 1950's and before again! Uh no guys... not going back there. Men need to be held accountable for their actions. But no, in their minds women need to know their place. /facepalm <-- to the Republicans in congress, etc. that think that way

The thing that also riles is they have power and they have money, and if they had a soul they could do good or great things with both those things. 

Whenever I play the what if game on really big lotteries I always imagine once I've set up my family financially and I had like still 25 plus million left I would be making anonymous donations all over the place. You can't take it with you why not spread it around from animal shelters and homeless shelters to non for profits.

I guess I just don't understand the mind set and stupid me always thought you got into politics for public service not a way to lone your pockets of the rubes you swindled on lies peddled.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, callmebetty said:

The thing that also riles is they have power and they have money, and if they had a soul they could do good or great things with both those things. 

Whenever I play the what if game on really big lotteries I always imagine once I've set up my family financially and I had like still 25 plus million left I would be making anonymous donations all over the place. You can't take it with you why not spread it around from animal shelters and homeless shelters to non for profits.

I guess I just don't understand the mind set and stupid me always thought you got into politics for public service not a way to lone your pockets of the rubes you swindled on lies peddled.

Yep. But a lot of them are sociopaths and don't care about anyone then themselves. They want money. And entertainment. Think of something along the lines of the Romans and the Colosseum. Bread and Circuses. They get entertained, the poor rubes do as well and whatever they were trying to distract the latter from ends up going on without a hitch. It's a win-win situation for them (the people in power).

Dictionary.com nails it. Here's their meaning for 'bread and circuses'.

Good point.

Well it's not a mind set I even like to think about, but it's good up to a point to try to understand the enemy and to get an idea of how they work.

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, DollEyes said:

As far as I'm concerned, the only "disservice" that the so-called "liberal media elite" have done was give Trump millions of dollars in free press while exploiting the Hillary/Democratic National Committee email hacks but ignoring the real scandals behind it-that a hostile foreign government with help from WikiLeaks blatantly and illegally interfered with our political process for their own purposes.

<snip> 

It was this way during the nominating process.  None of the other GOP candidates got nearly the coverage he did.  There were cameras waiting for him everywhere.  Making a speech? Cameras. Shaking hands with supporters? Cameras. Deciding on a coffee order? Cameras.

• Love 6

I don't understand the GOP's need to control women's bodies

I don't get it either but even more, unless the statistics are a lie, college educated white women voted for him knowing that this would be the result. He wasn't coy about it, it's not some kind of a bad surprise, he said up front this was a goal: end abortion. I can't even blame the GOP here, it wasn't a secret agenda, nobody was conned.

I think it was a little more explicit with Pence. I remember confusion about how formerly liberal Trump stood on abortion, LGBT issues, climate, etc. As for why women are interested in helping men put down other women... it's complicated. Two reasons jump to mind... of the many. 1) Misery loves company. I know my place. It infuriates me to see you living your life like you don't know yours. So I'm going to help perpetuate a system that forces you to suffer under the same doctrine. 2) Mean girls. Part of how patriarchy functions well is to keep the oppressed fighting among themselves. Dystopian novels often show all the oppressed being oppressed, and sometimes uniting and rising up. In reality, there are different levels. Some people are convinced that they are treated better. Those people are often complicit in the system that seems to work for them and so they don't venture out and help make the world on new terms. So instead of questioning rape culture and where all this misplaced morality comes from, I'm going to participate in slut-shaming for how you dress, whether you use birth control, having sex outside of marriage, etc. I'm going to spend my time making myself outwardly appealing for a man and being jealous about this precious resource instead of questioning why I need to compete for a man's attention instead of going out and finding a fulfilling, self-supporting job of my own. And after you've been pumped full of internalized misogyny so you too see other women as the enemy, men can turn around and blame you for all the fighting and nastiness. It's not us! Look, women are the ones who are the worst to other women. Of course women are good at criticizing each others' bodies, clothes, choices, etc. We get a million messages from society policing us and telling us how to stay inside the lines. We end up knowing the rules better than the people who made them.  

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Duke Silver said:

How many people here would be offended if I used the term "radical Christianity"?  That's Pence, Santorum, etc.  Or as Will McAvoy called them:  the American Taliban.

I wouldn't be.  These people and their ilk are both Radical Christians and the American Taliban. Not much difference between them & the radical imams/mullahs that they decry.

• Love 7

I don't get it either but even more, unless the statistics are a lie, college educated white women voted for him knowing that this would be the result. He wasn't coy about it, it's not some kind of a bad surprise, he said up front this was a goal: end abortion. I can't even blame the GOP here, it wasn't a secret agenda, nobody was conned.

There has always been a very sinister reason that internalized misogyny is very important to perpetuate for their long term goal of making sure only white males have any kind of power in this country:  One is that people who are constantly terrified aren't much of a threat to power structures.  

So if we go back to the bad old days where women constantly live in terror of an unwanted pregnancy it's a method of control.  Remember, the laws people like Pence wants  will disallow abortion even in cases of rape.  What better way to make sure that women are too busy being scared to death of their uteruses than making sure that a woman HAS to bear a child they do not want.  People like Pence and people from the far-right want to limit women's access to birth control also, hence the laws about "employers aren't required to cover it because of their religious beliefs".  This accomplishes two misogynist bird killings with one law:  Only women who can afford their own birth control, or tubal ligations will be able to fully defend against an unwanted pregnancy.  Then there's the fact that no birth control is actually 100% accurate.  This whole "abstinence only!" stuff is damned near farcical.   

That's a really handy way of consigning scores of women to poverty for their entire lives because note that these laws don't run towards forcing the fathers to be caretakers.   There are hardly any consequences for the people impregnating these women.   In all of these "we are obsessed with controlling your reproductive rights" laws, none of them address men.   One of my friends was an ADA in Chicago for years and he was in charge of trying to collect child support from deadbeat dads.  To put it mildly, whereas the laws about obligatory support are important, they do next to nothing.   Plus, since sex is one of the few free pleasures allowed to people without many means, the numbers are disproportionately weighted towards the poor.  Support laws are great but if there is no money to be had, that's the end of that and we don't actually have the resources to chase down these deadbeats.  It usually falls to the actual family to try and do that for the system. 

I could just blather on here, but that's the obsession, no matter what religious bullshit people sling, it is about trying to enslave women in poverty.  This is the same political party that wants "entitlement" programs cut.  Not to be gross, but I spend more money on dog treats each month than people who are in need of food assistance are given.  This party literally cares nothing about the children produced from these "every life is precious and god, gods, monster, space lizards love us all!" as witnessed by the fact that they think nothing, nothing at all of taking a scythe to the programs that would help.   These are the same people who don't want sex education taught in schools.  Sensing a pattern?  

As for why women would do this to other women, again, internalized misogyny is promoted in this country as a reasonable thing to engage in.   We are encouraged to view each other as competition, rather than allies.  Plus, it's also about being self-righteous and judgemental.  In a society that encourages women to feel less-than, at all turns, then the only way to feel better-than is to create sub-classes within that second-class-citizen grouping. 

ETA:  "Fundamentalist Christian" is both accurate and has the added bonus of making them practically foam at the mouth.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 22
1 hour ago, Duke Silver said:

How many people here would be offended if I used the term "radical Christianity"?  That's Pence, Santorum, etc.  Or as Will McAvoy called them:  the American Taliban.

I've been thinking of people like Pence as Radicalized Christians for a long time now - I say as a lapsed Catholic, if my own religion matters.

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, stillshimpy said:

As for why women would do this to other women, again, internalized misogyny is promoted in this country as a reasonable thing to engage in.   We are encouraged to view each other as competition, rather than allies.  Plus, it's also about being self-righteous and judgemental.  In a society that encourages women to feel less-than, at all turns, then the only way to feel better-than is to create sub-classes within that second-class-citizen grouping. 

Excellent overview of exactly how birth control and abortion is used to keep women in poverty--plus there's the whole philosophy that they're supposed to be dependent on men, that men need that if the women are going to be loved, because men have to feel manly. If you pay your own way he's not a real man. Every belief adds up to this--there's nothing in it that results in a better life for woman or children. It never worked that way.

Many women also seem to have internalized the idea that they're being smart by finding men to protect them rather than trying to go it on their own, like if they suck up to the power structure they're better off. That attitude also seems mirrored throughout the whole system--this is also why you're supposed to worship rich people and behave yourself so they might occasionally throw you a coin. If you start acting "entitled" to payment or see your salary as something you've earned rather than something the job creator gifted you, they'll be right to punish you by replacing you with a robot! Naturally they're going to hate to see all these women (and other minority groups) continuing to demand civil rights since part of the deal is sucking up to these guys mean they're the only ones that get them.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Duke Silver said:

Not offended - I just don't think it's a useful or accurate description.  Honestly, there is NOTHING Christian (radical or otherwise) about greed, hatred, lust for power and control, willingness to cause others to suffer, and all the other despicable traits demonstrated by those people.  I'm offended that they have the nerve to call themselves Christians.  More like anti-Christians. 

• Love 6

They are pretty much anti-Christians, with all the materialism, greed and hatred.  That's why I don't understand "Fundamentalist Christian" because it almost sounds like "back to basics of Christianity" but it isn't.  

• Love 3
On 12/14/2016 at 6:49 PM, Padma said:

I can't think of two men with LESS in common as leaders than Donald Trump and John Kennedy.

I knew Jack Kennedy (not personally, but he was the first President I was really aware of).  Jack Kennedy was a President of mine/  You, Drumpf, are no Jack Kennedy! 

On 12/14/2016 at 11:57 PM, callmebetty said:

And why cant everyday people make the same kind of plea? I could pull a handful of posters from here who would make beautiful impassioned speeches to the electoral college and because your not celebrities it would be lost in the weeds

On 12/15/2016 at 9:06 AM, fastiller said:

I think a plea from us 'regular' folks could be more swaying than one from celebs.

The Electors DO NOT CARE.  They have been presented with every reason imaginable not to vote for Drumpf and they DO NOT CARE.

On 12/16/2016 at 1:23 PM, Padma said:

Very "Star Trek" today: "Resistance is futile."

That's from Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy...

16 minutes ago, thespiritflies said:

Honestly, there is NOTHING Christian (radical or otherwise) about greed, hatred, lust for power and control, willingness to cause others to suffer, and all the other despicable traits demonstrated by those people.  I'm offended that they have the nerve to call themselves Christians.  More like anti-Christians. 

Substitute Islam for Christianity...  If "Radical Islam" means those who have distorted the Koran for their own vile ways, then "Radical Christianity" works too.

• Love 8

http://twothirds.us/the-oaths-of-office/

Shame, shame on so very many of you (of every political party).

https://www.archives.gov/founding-docs/declaration-transcript

https://www.archives.gov/founding-docs/constitution-transcript

https://www.archives.gov/founding-docs/bill-of-rights-transcript

https://www.archives.gov/founding-docs/amendments-11-27

For all those in every political office in this country, who have forgotten. Or those who have absolutely no experience what so ever and have never read them.

Shame, shame on all of you. You.Are.Failing.This.Country.

(If any one knows the emails of various politicians, I can send these to, to remind them. Please let me know, and perhaps join me in sending them).

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/abraham-lincolns-gettysburg-address-150th-anniversary-full-text/story?id=20928973

That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the Earth. - Abraham Lincoln

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, Padma said:

They are pretty much anti-Christians, with all the materialism, greed and hatred.  That's why I don't understand "Fundamentalist Christian" because it almost sounds like "back to basics of Christianity" but it isn't.  

Exactly. I just call them 'Fundies' or 'Christians with a K'. They're in it for themselves. Which goes against Christianity. Jesus didn't like greed. He turned over the money changers tables. He didn't want his father's church turned into a place to make money, ie: greed.

Sources: biblehub.com and jw.org

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I think it should be called 'Radical Old Testament-ism". 

Or "Take everything in the bible literally-ism"

(no offense, but there's quite a bit in it that could be based off of either second hand accounts and/or based off of practices that are no longer relevant in this day and age)

• Love 6

I could just blather on here, but that's the obsession, no matter what religious bullshit people sling, it is about trying to enslave women in poverty.  

Yeah, there's a lot at play in the crusade to deny women autonomy over their own bodies, but a lot of it boils down to the fact the ability to determine if and when to bear children is essential to women's ability to participate equally in the world.  And that's why that basic human right has been so hard for us to attain in any significant measure, and why they've been trying to take it back from us ever since.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Or "Take everything in the bible literally-ism"

(no offense, but there's quite a bit in it that could be based off of either second hand accounts and/or based off of practices that are no longer relevant in this day and age)

I wish they took the New Testament values of compassion, love, kindness, do unto others as literally as it seems they do the others.

I'm horrified at the idea that Pence wants a theocracy and Trump is such an idiot that we'll get stuck with Pence if Trump is impeached. 

• Love 5
Just now, catrox14 said:

I wish they took the New Testament values of compassion, love, kindness, do unto others as literally as it seems they do the others.

I'm horrified at the idea that Pence wants a theocracy and Drumpf is such an idiot that we'll get stuck with Pence if Drumpf is impeached. 

Same here. Nothing like twisting the bible to suit their own needs.

I am as well.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, catrox14 said:

Whoa, what happened?  I typed in Drumpf in my comment and the quote has it as Drumpf.  Is this autocorrect at it's finest? Because if it is, I'm all for it! LOL

I think it's due to the 'Make Donald Drumpf Again' App I have on. Sorry. Every mention of 'you-know-who' gets turned into his family's old name, Drumpf.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Sorry, but that conflicts with the Gospel of Ayn Rand.

Using both they can judge others and blame them for their own problems (if they were right with God they'd do better) while also justifying a ruthless climb to the top.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Duke Silver said:

Yea, yeah Drumpf supporters, I know the script, "who gives AF about what foreigners think." 

Anyway, I found this to be very sobering:

And the quote from it that stuck out to me the most has been going on in America for over 40 years. The country has been falling apart for longer than 20 years now. Those in power don't care (mainly on the Republican side).

For all the intractable problems in our region, there is a sense of forward movement. When we visit America now, it feels like the opposite, like decay. Roads, airports, an economy, perhaps even a society, falling to pieces. We are left in awe by the extreme poverty as well as the extreme wealth. And maybe it is because of your poetry about yourself that the turning current has been harder for Americans themselves to see.

They do not want to spend a red cent on something that they figure doesn't go to something that they want to do.

• Love 3

That's why I don't understand "Fundamentalist Christian" because it almost sounds like "back to basics of Christianity" but it isn't.  

Because Evangelicals interpret the bible literally.   Oh sure, they ignore the teachings of Christ, but they love, love, love the vengeful old testament.  Hence: fundamental, but mostly it's because "fundamentalist" is something they rightly interpret as an insult and it compares them to both Islam and then the thing they hate almost as much: Mormons. 

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 6
9 minutes ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

I think it's due to the 'Make Donald Drumpf Again' App I have on. Sorry. Every mention of 'you-know-who' gets turned into his family's old name, Drumpf.

LOL that's fantastic.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, NewDigs said:

It can practically be narrowed down to Leviticusites. 

@AntiBeeSpray, Can we request that our quoted posts not be changed?

Can't control that. It's the add on that does it. Not me. Or any other staff. Been trying to avoid quoting anything with his original name in it so the add on doesn't change it. That's all I can do on that. Sorry. Outside of turning off the add on. And I honestly do not want to see his name.

• Love 2

Like many here, I get frustrated that these intelligent Democratic politicians can't seem to learn from the Republicans successes and use it to fight for the other side successfully. You would think they could analyze what the GOP has done and apply it. I've decided that the only possible reason they haven't been able to is because they don't have "evil villain" brains and can't think that way. 

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

That's from Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy...

Not to be that gal...but I will. It was 'Resistance is useless" in HGTTG.  ST: TNG coined "Resistance is futile".  :)

5 minutes ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Can't control that. It's the add on that does it. Not me. Or any other staff. Been trying to avoid quoting anything with his original name in it so the add on doesn't change it. That's all I can do on that. Sorry. Outside of turning off the add on. And I honestly do not want to see his name.

I'm assuming it doesn't change anything but Trump's name, right?

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Not to be that gal...but I will. It was 'Resistance is useless" in HGTTG.  ST: TNG coined "Resistance is futile".  :)

I'm assuming it doesn't change anything but Drumpf's name, right?

Yep. That's all it does is change his family's chosen name back to their original family name. I figured it was via my end or anyone who uses the add on, browser wise.

Here's what it said via the Google Web store:

Add this app to your Chrome browser and replace all instances of "Trump" with "Drumpf."

3 minutes ago, VMepicgrl said:

Like many here, I get frustrated that these intelligent Democratic politicians can't seem to learn from the Republicans successes and use it to fight for the other side successfully. You would think they could analyze what the GOP has done and apply it. I've decided that the only possible reason they haven't been able to is because they don't have "evil villain" brains and can't think that way. 

But but, that means Hillary and Obama really aren't demons!? 

• Love 2