Type keyword(s) to search

Episode 1 Full Spoilers - Do Not Enter If You Don't Want to Be Spoiled!

photo fox
  • Start Topic

Creating this thread so people can talk about the first episode, details of which are posted on Reddit by someone who has seen it.

No spoiler tags are necessary in here for Episode 1, so if you read beyond this point, know that you will be thoroughly spoiled.

The other thread will remain for discussion of "typical" spoilers... cast interviews, BTS photos, reports from extras, etc.

Also, remember, until this drops on Netflix, any information from this Reddit account is still a spoiler in any other thread, so let's keep the discussion in here.

Thanks in advance!

There are so many things to be happy about in the spoilers, I'm just gonna say that I'm pleased with Rory's struggle, which seems natural given her profession. 

Also I'm goodish with LL, but I'm getting a sad vibe from Lorelai that is unsettling.

I'm not very happy about Rory having a boyfriend, causal or not, and dropping in for booty calls in London with Logan. From the spoilers she doesn't seem very attached at all to Paul the bf, but really, you forgot to break up with him, Rory? Surely somewhere in there you could've found the time to write a Dear John letter. I hope karma bites her in the ass, or else she is going to fall right back into the special snowflake territory that almost ruined her for me in the last few years of GG.  Perhaps Logan, who is sleeping with other women as well, finds the love of his life and then Paul dumps her.

I'm curious as to how Paris ended up in the surrogacy business. Definitely not where I saw her ending up.

Can't wait to meet Michal's boyfriend:)

Both Lorelai and Emily's stories sound like there will be a lot of sadness. The new rift following Richard's death sounds like it is going to be more raw and bleeding then the ones before it. I'm happy that Luke and Lorelai are still going strong and so far as Winter is concerned, there is no unnecessary drama between them.

I think this is a great path for Rory to follow. As a teenager she was often inconsiderate about her boyfriends. Now, she faces relationships with men, who also have experience.  This means she'll have to face the reality of her own relatively poor decisions. 

I keep hearing that Paris and her business are the funniest part of the show.  Even though the idea of surrogacy is sad, I think it's a good mechanism to help the couple strengthen their foundation.  I'm a little annoyed at ASP for ignoring the couples acknowledged and discussed wish to have children. 

The reviews that I've read in the last few days give me a sense that all four episodes will be balanced, but not perfect. You know just like Gilmore Girls always was. There was always something in every episode that bugged me. So seasons will be just the same, and I'm good with that. 

• Love 2

If they actually address that Rory has a long history of making bad relationship decisions and stringing boyfriends along, that would make the whole thing worthwhile. Because while I balked at the spoilers at first, the more I thought about it the more I realized it's totally in character for Rory: She strung both Dean and Jess along as a teenager instead of making a decision, then she started an affair with Dean while he was married, then she was already sorta falling in with Logan and his crowd while still seeing Dean, then she had that kiss with Jess while on the outs with Logan. Her romantic relationships always had more than a hint of the dysfunctional. It makes sense that she'd cheat on a boyfriend for hook ups with Logan. It's just an extension of her questionable actions regarding boys she had as a teen and young woman into the "adult world" and men.

Edited by katha
  • Love 5

Maybe this is just me, but I love the idea of Gilmore Girls showing that surrogacy or adoption are legitimate options for the millions of people out there who can't or don't want to have their own children. There are many different ways to have a family, and since very little about the L/L relationship has followed a traditional path, it pleases me that they would consider nontraditional methods of expanding their family. I can't believe how excited I am to see them together even though Lorelai seems to be having existential doubts about her life in general. Sometimes I try to tell myself that the writers ruined L/L to the point where I'm not as invested in them anymore, but then I hear any little thing about them and remember that I still love them whether I want to or not. 

Folks here have made me feel so much better about the Rory/Logan spoilers. Thank you to everyone who commented on them so far. I come from the perspective of not liking Logan or who Rory was during most of her relationship with him. I know many love them, so this is just one person's opinion! I love the idea that this arrangement they seem to have now may be setting the stage for a much needed wakeup call for Rory down the road about being more honest with herself and other people about what she wants and how she feels, making better choices and finally taking responsibility for the poorer ones. I love Rory, but these spoilers point to issues that annoyed me about her even when she was younger and which I think I'd have even less patience for now that she's in her 30s. This is just speculation, but I'm also thinking this makes it less likely that Rory/Logan will end the series as a couple. Since I don't like them, I probably just want to think that, right? I feel like a relationship founded on unfaithfulness and dishonesty and one that Rory probably doesn't feel very good about herself for is a sign that their relationship not meant to be longterm, but I didn't think they'd last past the episode in season 6 when Jess returns, so no one can rely on me for accurate predictions about this couple. 

I'm so excited to see Paris again. I must like Doyle more than I thought I did, because I was very happy to hear that they're still together. 

• Love 3

This is just speculation, but I'm also thinking this makes it less likely that Rory/Logan will end the series as a couple.

I totally agree. Cheating as a basis for a long term relationship can never work. Though, one can "never say never," but in this case I think you are right.

• Love 1

I'm always struck by fans who talk about how the way Rory behaved with this boyfriend or that one isn't "really Rory."  But I read somewhere, I can't remember where, since she repeatedly acted rather shitty to all of the boyfriends at one time or another, and seems to continue in this vein into hers 30s, isn't it time that we just accepted that Rory IS actually that kind of person?

Just because she wasn't comfortable with a casual just sex relationship when she was only JUST out of virgin territory doesn't mean she isn't capable of seeing the benefits of it now.  I find the casual cheating on her long-term boyfriend more indicative of a really selfish person incapable of an adult relationship more than having a fuck buddy.

Just to clarify, I am a Logan supporter:D

• Love 6

Open relationships and how terrible Rory has been to most of her boyfriends aside, given how close Rory is with Lorelai and Emily, I figured her ultimate destiny would be Stars Hollow/Chilton so that she could be near them. Logan could obviously fit in with the Hartford circle, but I feel like he'll only thrive when he's far away from his family's bubble, which he seems to be doing in London. I just don't see Rory setting down roots in London, an ocean away from Lorelai, and I don't see Logan sticking around Stars Hollow for the long haul. I think Rory will ultimately choose her family over romance, and the guy who will win her heart is the one who can fit into that life. Logan grew a lot as a character throughout his arc, but I feel like it would be a disservice to his character to have him settle in a small town or move back into his parent's neighborhood. But who knows, maybe they'll find a compromise somewhere in the Northeast.

I say as a viewer with a slight preference towards Jess, because while I like Logan, I hate his Life and Death Brigade and Rory's later season stories...

I could accept Rory's questionable romantic decisions (which, it's true, she has a strong history of)....if the press weren't giving me a vibe that Rory/Logan is endgame -- Logan being in the finale, the L&DB playing a role, Czuchry had a quote about them having a "very, very special" ending. That might all be a red herring, but if that is the characters' fate, and I only know as much as anyone else who's read Reddit and the vaguely spoiler-y mainstream articles does, then why should I expect they won't just separate again six months post-Fall? There's nothing screaming "sound foundation for a life partnership!" about the story that seems to be set up in Winter. (Disclaimer: I was never a Rory/Logan 'shipper, although I didn't mind Logan as a character in season 7.)

Also, has anyone come across comments that hint at more about Rory's career story in ep 1? I get the impression it is touched upon to some extent in Winter, but the Reddit convo threads seemed to be focused on the Logan angle and I'm not sure if I missed anything else going through them.

8 minutes ago, FictionLover said:
8 minutes ago, FictionLover said:

Someone commented on a article that Hollywood Reporter said Luke and Lorelai's relationship is limp. Anyone hear anything like this?

Someone commented on a article that Hollywood Reporter said Luke and Lorelai's relationship is limp. Anyone hear anything like this?

Dirty. :-}

• Love 9
48 minutes ago, FictionLover said:

The Hollywood Reporter review DID say that. It's just one person's opinion, though. It doesn't mean everyone will feel that way. Some probably will, and some won't.

• Love 1
On Thursday, November 17, 2016 at 10:45 PM, HeySandyStrange said:

I'm not very happy about Rory having a boyfriend, causal or not, and dropping in for booty calls in London with Logan. From the spoilers she doesn't seem very attached at all to Paul the bf, but really, you forgot to break up with him, Rory? Surely somewhere in there you could've found the time to write a Dear John letter. I hope karma bites her in the ass, or else she is going to fall right back into the special snowflake territory that almost ruined her for me in the last few years of GG.  Perhaps Logan, who is sleeping with other women as well, finds the love of his life and then Paul dumps her.

I'm not clued in on most of the spoilers but I like that Rory and Logan are casually hooking up. I'm not sure that's entirely "Rory" though. We all saw how she didn't do so well with it before Logan was her boyfriend. I hope it's not a repeat of that. 

• Love 1

Oh the hooking up is no problem for me, in fact it is nice to see a Gilmore Girl ex that isn't still obsessively in love so many years later. I think this type of relationship fits Logan realistically, and maybe for the place that Rory is in her life, as well. The cheating is my problem, since it seems from spoilers that Rory isn't in the open relationship with Paul. Rory has been playing this stringing along behavior with men since she was a teen and if the revival is going to be her sailing through more crappy behavior towards others, I will be disappointed. I'll laugh, though, Paul has been hooking up behind her back as well.

14 minutes ago, HeySandyStrange said:

Oh the hooking up is no problem for me, in fact it is nice to see a Gilmore Girl ex that isn't still obsessively in love so many years later. I think this type of relationship fits Logan realistically, and maybe for the place that Rory is in her life, as well. The cheating is my problem, since it seems from spoilers that Rory isn't in the open relationship with Paul. Rory has been playing this stringing along behavior with men since she was a teen and if the revival is going to be her sailing through more crappy behavior towards others, I will be disappointed. I'll laugh, though, Paul has been hooking up behind her back as well.

Lol that would pierce her precious ego a bit. I don't know anything about Paul or their relationship. If it is supposed to be monogamous or not. If it is, then yes I agree that is not ok. I'm just not sure if an open relationship (as much as I would love to see it represented) is something Rory would be into, or that ASP would write without it being disrespectful. I am eager to see what a 30 year old Rory is like. 

5 minutes ago, hippielamb said:

Lol that would pierce her precious ego a bit. I don't know anything about Paul or their relationship. If it is supposed to be monogamous or not. If it is, then yes I agree that is not ok. I'm just not sure if an open relationship (as much as I would love to see it represented) is something Rory would be into, or that ASP would write without it being disrespectful. I am eager to see what a 30 year old Rory is like. 

It's hard to tell with Paul, but somehow I doubt their relationship is open since Logan and Rory's trysts seem hush-hush from the spoilers. I don't need Rory branded with a letter A, hell I don't even need her to suffer severe consequences. But if she was to try to break up Paul and find out he's been stepping out too, I'd be satisfied. Rory is due to have her ego bruised.

ASP and Alexis Bledel keep on bringing up the Logan = Rory's Christopher parallel, which sort of lends itself to their casual hookups while Rory self destructs her other romantic relationships in a somewhat Lorelai fashion.

• Love 7

This review makes me sad.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/11/21/the-gilmore-girls-revival-is-everything-you-hoped-it-would-be.html

Lorelai is living with Luke (Scott Patterson), but stir-crazy when it comes to running the inn and self-conscious that she’s limiting her partner’s happiness.

I'd read already that Lorelai hasn't matured, but this is confirmation. She's aware of what she's doing. Forty-nine-ish years old and still doing this stuff.

This, combined with Rory's consistently less than stellar treatment of her boyfriends, makes me sad. Can it really be that Emily is the only Gilmore with an improved character, even if it's only trying to get along with her maids and not dropping insults about Luke?

On the up Up UP! side, I'm really looking forward to Paris stealing the show. Sounds like she really did a great job.

• Love 1

What exactly is she doing?

Self-conscious usually means you're worried about something. I read that as she's worried she's not making Luke happy or rather their life as a non-married childless couple isn't making him happy, hence looking into surrogacy. I don't see that as a flaw personally. I actually think it's normal for Lorelai to question things now, after the loss of her father.  

• Love 5

self-conscious that she’s limiting her partner’s happiness.

This reads to me as Lorelai selflessly thinking of other people's happiness instead of her own and being more introspective and self-aware than before, both of which make me optimistic that she's grown. I don't come from the perspective of always thinking the worst of Lorelai and looking to pounce on her for everything she does, so maybe I'm putting an optimistic spin on it. I agree with JaggedLilPill that a lot of people find themselves soul searching at a certain age and especially after a death in the family.  

• Love 7

Clearly, we don't know for sure what she's doing, because we haven't seen the show yet. Our own individual interpretations after we see it might be completely different from the reviewer's.

I read it as she became recently aware that she may not be making Luke happy. After a decade.

I'm sad (only sad to the level of sad about a TV show, not real life sad), because it was sobering to recognize that Rory was really not very nice to any of her boyfriends, and now it may be that Lorelai has been less of a good partner to Luke than I would have hoped. Rory and Lorelai being the protagonists, I wished for better.

I'm sad (only sad to the level of sad about a TV show, not real life sad), because it was sobering to recognize that Rory was really not very nice to any of her boyfriends, and now it may be that Lorelai has been less of a good partner to Luke than I would have hoped

I'm so confused. I honestly don't see how it's possible to infer any of that from those spoilers. Luke and Lorelai have not always been ideal partners to each other, but nothing at all about the above makes me think the spoilers are implying that Lorelai is treating Luke poorly. 

Edited by Blandings
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, junienmomo said:

Clearly, we don't know for sure what she's doing, because we haven't seen the show yet. Our own individual interpretations after we see it might be completely different from the reviewer's.

I read it as she became recently aware that she may not be making Luke happy. After a decade.

I'm sad (only sad to the level of sad about a TV show, not real life sad), because it was sobering to recognize that Rory was really not very nice to any of her boyfriends, and now it may be that Lorelai has been less of a good partner to Luke than I would have hoped. Rory and Lorelai being the protagonists, I wished for better.

I get what you're saying.  I love(d) the show and am so glad that it's back for one last hurrah but I always felt like if it were to happen I'd want to see some real character progression by all the Gilmore women.  Luckily it's sounding like at least Emily is getting some.  Hopefully we'll see it with Lorelai and Rory.  Since people really have only seen the first episode I'm trying really hard not to pre-judge Lorelai deciding on a major life path that Luke doesn't seem to want (i.e. the surrogacy) or Rory hooking up with Logan when she's been dating a guy for 2 years.  I'm willing to let the remaining 3 episodes tell the story but I really need to see that these ladies have learned something in the past 10 years in terms of selflessness when it comes to their relationships (both familial and romantic). 

• Love 2

Lauren's red carpet interview with Access Hollywood about Luke and Lorelai lead me to believe there would be no wedding. Sorry, I couldn't find a way to share a link but she said she doesn't believe marriage had to be the end all for everyone and she believes it was handled perfectly for this couple.

23 minutes ago, FictionLover said:

Lauren's red carpet interview with Access Hollywood about Luke and Lorelai lead me to believe there would be no wedding. Sorry, I couldn't find a way to share a link but she said she doesn't believe marriage had to be the end all for everyone and she believes it was handled perfectly for this couple.

But to me, it wouldn't be so surprising if they were both happy not being married until they decided/were able to have children.  When you have a family there's a lot to be said for everyone being legally connected.  I know some people wouldn't feel that way but it seems quite possible that Lorelai and Luke would.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, FictionLover said:

There might not be a wedding, but in fairness most of the actors have been trying to throw people off. I would take everything they say with a grain of salt. I just watched that Lauren interview, however, and didn't get an impression one way or another about a wedding.

With that being said, I just want Luke and Lorelai to be happy. If that means no wedding, I'm fine with that.

Edited by Sara2009
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, shron17 said:

But to me, it wouldn't be so surprising if they were both happy not being married until they decided/were able to have children.  When you have a family there's a lot to be said for everyone being legally connected.  I know some people wouldn't feel that way but it seems quite possible that Lorelai and Luke would.

That could be the case, but it would have come from the intervening years. Both of them wanted to be married to each other during the series.

• Love 1

Both of them wanted to be married to each other during the series.

Well...sort of. :) Whenever I rewatch the end of S5 and S6 (which, granted, is not often!), I see it as an engagement that was clearly doomed from the start and am not sure either truly wanted to marry at all. Lorelai proposed impulsively because she had just lost Rory and was scared to lose the only other person in her life who she cared about, and then they both spent the entire next season looking forward to the big event with all the zest of an upcoming execution: postponing and putting off setting a date for various reasons, their dynamic joyless and awkward and both acting like they couldn't believe what they had gotten themselves into. Even Sookie and people in their lives commented on their lack of enthusiasm, and that was even before it was revealed that Luke went two full months without telling Lorelai about his long lost daughter and the fallout. Obviously I come from a non-Java Junkie perspective, but at the time even a lot of people who do root for them were commenting that it seemed clear neither wanted or felt ready to get married.

Regardless of whether or not they end up married, I really hope this revival doesn't have them questioning whether they still want to be together. It took a ridiculously long time to get together in the first place, they were totally unable to communicate and act like adults once they finally did, and they broke up twice along the way. I personally think everything we saw of their relationship pointed to how incompatible, unhappy and horribly ill-suited they are as a romantic couple, though that's clearly a very unpopular opinion. I get that the writers will almost certainly make them 'endgame', though, so I hope that we can at least see a slightly more happy and functional relationship this time around so that those of us who dislike L/L can feel at least a little like the two of them together is a happy ending rather a depressing one.  And the idea of them still unsure of how they feel or how deep a commitment they want to make to each other after all these years is just so pitiful----I REALLY hope Lorelai and/or Luke is having a more general existential crisis that naturally spills into other areas of their life, not specific doubts about whether they want to be with each other after all these years. Some of the reviews have me hopeful, but the ones that state/imply how the characters seem frozen in time and are still having the same problems as they did when we last saw them have me worried that LL angst is going to annoy both shippers and non-shippers alike!

On the bright side, I'm excited to see Paris and agree with others that the spoilers about Logan and Rory's not-quite-above-board sexcapades might set up a much-needed wakeup call for Rory about the choices she makes or at least points to the fact that Rogan probably isn't endgame for reasons others have pointed out. 

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, junienmomo said:

That could be the case, but it would have come from the intervening years. Both of them wanted to be married to each other during the series.

I agree they both wanted to be married but I also think they were both scared to death of it because of their own issues.  You can clearly see that in the proposal scene.  Lorelai spent years as a single parent, had a dismal relationship with her family and couldn't manage to date anyone for longer than a couple of months.  Luke was damaged by losing his mom, then his dad and then Rachel who left him over and over.  I always felt they both probably had a strong need to create a family of their own to replace what they lost but neither had enough confidence in their ability to make it  happen.  When they got engaged they were in way over their heads for different reasons and ended up breaking up mostly due to their own securities.  So it does make sense to me that they would hesitate to do it all over again when they came so close to losing everything.  I'm starting to wonder if the reason they've been in the same holding pattern for so many years is because Lorelai never managed to completely move past her issues without Amy to guide her.  While it's sad they lost those years I think it's also fitting that Amy is the one to complete Lorelai's story.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, shron17 said:

I agree they both wanted to be married but I also think they were both scared to death of it because of their own issues.  You can clearly see that in the proposal scene.  Lorelai spent years as a single parent, had a dismal relationship with her family and couldn't manage to date anyone for longer than a couple of months.  Luke was damaged by losing his mom, then his dad and then Rachel who left him over and over.  I always felt they both probably had a strong need to create a family of their own to replace what they lost but neither had enough confidence in their ability to make it  happen.  When they got engaged they were in way over their heads for different reasons and ended up breaking up mostly due to their own securities.  So it does make sense to me that they would hesitate to do it all over again when they came so close to losing everything.  I'm starting to wonder if the reason they've been in the same holding pattern for so many years is because Lorelai never managed to completely move past her issues without Amy to guide her.  While it's sad they lost those years I think it's also fitting that Amy is the one to complete Lorelai's story.

I think this is one of those things where I just have to overlook the timing of it all and enjoy the story. On one hand, it's unfortunate that the characters are frozen in time. On the other hand, I understand that Amy probably wants to SHOW us the character development rather than just tell us it happened off screen. Because it sounds like we're going to get some great stuff, I'm willing to just go with the flow.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Sara2009 said:

I think this is one of those things where I just have to overlook the timing of it all and enjoy the story. On one hand, it's unfortunate that the characters are frozen in time. On the other hand, I understand that Amy probably wants to SHOW us the character development rather than just tell us it happened off screen. Because it sounds like we're going to get some great stuff, I'm willing to just go with the flow.

I think so too.  I was a little bummed at first that they weren't already married with a kid or two since that's what I thought they wanted.  But if we see enough to know what Amy intended for season 7 and her vision for the end of the series, I'm a happy camper.

I'm anxious to see how it comes off, I can buy some of the original plans for season 7 still working many years later, but I do struggle to see how they can justify some of the necessary stalling with Luke and Lorelai . Lorelai's desperation to set a date was such a big focus in the sixth season, it even led to her breaking down at Lane's wedding over not being married herself, so I find it hard to justify why ten years later they would still not be married, given that it was clearly such a big deal to Lorelai to have that special day with Luke. The same with them apparently considering surrogacy at such a late date, it makes sense that Luke and Lorelai were interested in having a kid together during the series, but considering a new baby now when Lorelai is nearly 50? (And Luke even older than that!) It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me that Lorelai would seriously consider it a good plan to leave it so late that they would end up with a teenager to raise when they are in their late 60's/early 70's

• Love 2

I can actually believe that neither one would be eager to get married again. Both had disastrous very short first marriages. And Lorelai had been engaged twice before as well. I could see how neither would be eager to try that again.

• Love 1

I haven't been following along with the spoilers that much since I don't have a streaming netflix account and will have to wait until the show makes it to DVD, but regarding the Rory/Logan angle. What this "hooking up" says to me is that they were not over each other at the end of Season 7 -- which is true -- and so this newer "relationship" is  just a continuation of what they once had. If Logan is indeed Rory's Christopher, than maybe *this* "Lorelai and Christopher" relationship will actually work out once they come to terms with it. That being said, Rory does not equal Lorelai and Logan does not equal Christopher; they are distinct people and a totally different couple.