Jump to content

Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E22: And Baby Makes Five?


  • Reply
  • Start Topic

Recommended Posts

Quote

Erin and Chad are days away from meeting their little girl. Erin heads to Nashville to finish her lullaby album. But before Erin and Chad bring Brooklyn home, they welcome another new addition…a puppy!   

I'm not a dog person - is it common for puppies to be covered in fleas like that?  Gross. It also seems crazy to bring home a new puppy right before giving birth. You know Saint Chad will be the one stuck training it.

Very glad Erin got her epidural, but I worry that Brooklyn's "easy" labor will only encourage them to have more children.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

I couldn't believe that Erin put all those fleas in her vehicle and then brought them home to her house that she obviously takes a lot of pride in!  Not to mention Carson. And I felt sorry for poor Kelly being made to hold that box with the dog and fleas.  But Erin gets upset when Kelly puts it on HER seat.  Poor Chad. He gets stuck fixing everything. He never says "no" to her. 

  • Love 7
Link to comment
11 minutes ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

I actually got a laugh out of this & it is such a contrast to the relationships the Duggar's have with their parents. Such a fun episode with genuine laughter. As for the fleas, a bath in dawn dish detergent should fix that right up. 

It is refreshing isn't it?  Don't you love the 2 littlest Bates?  Jeb and can never remember his name.  They are so, so different from the Duggars.  I think it all boils down to parenting.

Edited by Evagirl
grammar
  • Love 6
Link to comment

I like how Erin was adamant about having an epidural that she wasn't going to even bother reading the permission papers.  Once again, so different than the Duggars.  Could someone enlighten me why she didn't get an epidural with Carson? It looked like things moved quickly with him & she possibly missed the window of opportunity to get one. 

Erin & Kelly getting the puppy reminded me of Lucy & Ethel & was funny to watch. Erin really wanted her mother to agree with her that they should get the dog without Chad's approval but it seemed Kelly wasn't budging.  Then ending up with all the fleas. Didn't they notice the fleas when they were just looking & holding the puppies when the seller was there?  It was like they chose the puppy & then the fleas appeared. But anyway,  I'm sure Chad has built the puppy a wonderful doghouse.

I love the flashback of Erin & Chad giving the quilt to tell of the new grandbaby.  Kelly's expression was priceless & her reaction was what a true Grandmothers should be (looking at you Michelle.)  You can tell that family is everything for Gil & Kelly & each new addition is a special blessing & not just another baby. 

ETA:  I felt sorry for Michael when they were saying how much she loves children but she hasn't gotten pregnant yet (that we know of.)  I'm glad she has her sewing to keep her busy & that she wants to start a small business.  Once again, more initiative than most of the Duggar kidadults. 

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 3
Link to comment

I don't think they noticed the fleas until the puppy was in the car.  The seller should have mentioned it, but that's a risk you take when you buy a puppy from a stranger in a parking lot. 

Erin and Michaela seem closer than they used to be.  I'm betting Michaela is struggling with the same condition and hopefully Erin has been a good support for her.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Lord have mercy, they bought a dog from a guy in a parking lot? I know they're country, but come on, that's pretty stupid. The dogs could have worms, parvo, mange, you name it. At least if you adopt from a shelter the animals are up to date on shots and already fixed.

  • Love 5
Link to comment

They said they met the seller "halfway." The puppy was also advertised as being dewormed, but I didn't pay close enough attention to hear about shots. I doubt they bother, and I doubt they've heard of Petsmart. Poor thing probably got doused with a hose. :(

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I know everyone loves Prince Chad but every since he arrived on the scene 3 yrs ago to start courting, I have been blown away by how freaking "formal" him and Erin are with each other. He has spent the majority of his time choked up and teary eyed over (i) asking Erin to court in the exact right way so as not to mess up her dream moment; (ii) same for the wedding; (iii) not having a baby within the first 15 min of marriage; (iv) having to see Zach and Whit have a baby when they didn't; (v) Carson's traumatic birth etc. etc. It's like they never just chill and joke around and have fun like a young couple. I feel like I saw it for the FIRST time in this episode when he was joking about fleas, teasing Erin that now she has fleas etc. He even seemed lighthearted when he was talking so seriously (and teary looking as always) re how much his mom misses grandbabies and how special they are, and then he acts like a normal 26 (28? 30?) yr old, busts out a true smile and says she probably misses him too . . . .

For the love of God these two need to relax a bit more and not spend their entire marriage in some kind of polite existence . . . . I know some fundies do that [ahem - Duggars], but Erin comes from a loud, fun family and there's no reason her own nuclear family must be SO serious.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
On October 29, 2016 at 5:01 PM, cereality said:

I know everyone loves Prince Chad but every since he arrived on the scene 3 yrs ago to start courting, I have been blown away by how freaking "formal" him and Erin are with each other. He has spent the majority of his time choked up and teary eyed over (i) asking Erin to court in the exact right way so as not to mess up her dream moment; (ii) same for the wedding; (iii) not having a baby within the first 15 min of marriage; (iv) having to see Zach and Whit have a baby when they didn't; (v) Carson's traumatic birth etc. etc. It's like they never just chill and joke around and have fun like a young couple. I feel like I saw it for the FIRST time in this episode when he was joking about fleas, teasing Erin that now she has fleas etc. He even seemed lighthearted when he was talking so seriously (and teary looking as always) re how much his mom misses grandbabies and how special they are, and then he acts like a normal 26 (28? 30?) yr old, busts out a true smile and says she probably misses him too . . . .

For the love of God these two need to relax a bit more and not spend their entire marriage in some kind of polite existence . . . . I know some fundies do that [ahem - Duggars], but Erin comes from a loud, fun family and there's no reason her own nuclear family must be SO serious.

You must check out Erin's newest video on her IG.  It's about cookie dough ice cream, and it is the CUTEST THING EVER!  I'll bet there's lots of fun and laughter in their household!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On October 29, 2016 at 9:10 AM, Barb23 said:

I like how Erin was adamant about having an epidural that she wasn't going to even bother reading the permission papers.  Once again, so different than the Duggars.  Could someone enlighten me why she didn't get an epidural with Carson? It looked like things moved quickly with him & she possibly missed the window of opportunity to get one. 

Erin & Kelly getting the puppy reminded me of Lucy & Ethel & was funny to watch. Erin really wanted her mother to agree with her that they should get the dog without Chad's approval but it seemed Kelly wasn't budging.  Then ending up with all the fleas. Didn't they notice the fleas when they were just looking & holding the puppies when the seller was there?  It was like they chose the puppy & then the fleas appeared. But anyway,  I'm sure Chad has built the puppy a wonderful doghouse.

I love the flashback of Erin & Chad giving the quilt to tell of the new grandbaby.  Kelly's expression was priceless & her reaction was what a true Grandmothers should be (looking at you Michelle.)  You can tell that family is everything for Gil & Kelly & each new addition is a special blessing & not just another baby. 

ETA:  I felt sorry for Michael when they were saying how much she loves children but she hasn't gotten pregnant yet (that we know of.)  I'm glad she has her sewing to keep her busy & that she wants to start a small business.  Once again, more initiative than most of the Duggar kidadults. 

If I remember correctly, her first labor went so fast that they didn't have time to give her an epidural.  There were also serious complications going on immediately prior to delivery, and I think the doctor just wanted her to hurry up and deliver, and epidurals can sometimes slow down that process.

On October 28, 2016 at 5:16 PM, Absolom said:

Ratings:  287K viewers and a .07 rating.

That seems like an extremely small audience.  I hope they don't cancel this show, because I love this family!

Link to comment

The dogs were adorable, but I was pretty appalled that the seller would give them away knowing they had a serious flea issue. That absolutely should have been disclosed if she wasn't going to give them a flea treatment prior to the sale.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

  • 1 month later...
On 10/29/2016 at 2:05 PM, Sew Sumi said:

I doubt they've heard of Petsmart.

The Bates family lives a very, very short hop from a mid-sized city that has multiple businesses like PetSmart.  It's not as though they live in the middle of the Australian Outback or on a deserted island.  There is probably one in the same strip mall as their favorite Wal-Mart.  Come to think of it, they can probably also buy flea products at their favorite Wal-Mart while they're grabbing a bag of Ol' Roy.  There's no reason to think that the Bates family is unaware of the existence of a run-of-the-mill type of business unless you assume they stare at the ground 24/7 and never read billboards or store fronts or have conversations with their tree business/lawn mowing/nannying customers and that public-schooled, 4-year-college grads Gil and Kelly caught soap-opera-style amnesia and don't remember anything that existed before they moved to the country and bought their first ATI workbook.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

My point was actually that they never had indoor animals before. They admitted this on a previous episode. So, bringing a puppy (flea-ridden or not) would have been a new experience for any of the Bateses. I seriously doubt they treated the outdoor dogs for fleas or anything else, for that matter.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

My point was actually that they never had indoor animals before. They admitted this on a previous episode. So, bringing a puppy (flea-ridden or not) would have been a new experience for any of the Bateses. I seriously doubt they treated the outdoor dogs for fleas or anything else, for that matter.

I agree. Remember the Bateses' emaciated horses? I don't think they're any more responsible and loving towards their pets than the Duggars. If Chad and Erin keep this dog for even a year, I'd be surprised. 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 12/31/2016 at 2:32 PM, BitterApple said:

I agree. Remember the Bateses' emaciated horses? I don't think they're any more responsible and loving towards their pets than the Duggars. If Chad and Erin keep this dog for even a year, I'd be surprised. 

 

It has been told that the horses were rescued horses.  They came to them like that.  

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/30/2016 at 8:39 PM, trimthatfat said:

The dogs were adorable, but I was pretty appalled that the seller would give them away knowing they had a serious flea issue. That absolutely should have been disclosed if she wasn't going to give them a flea treatment prior to the sale.

Some people just aren't that smart or think it matters. 

I foster for a local animal shelter - sometimes kittens, sometimes older cats.  I was taking a pair of older cats from someone that couldn't foster them anymore.  Maybe 6 hours after getting them home I thought maybe they had fleas.... no big deal... it happens and treated easily.  And they were confined to one room in my house (with no carpet thank god).  The next day I thought I'd check it out a bit more... MAJOR MAJOR fleas... like fleas hoping on to me... I have never experienced that before in my life and I've fostered a lot of cats.  I was horrified but thankfully I had flea treatment stashed away.  Enough for those two cats and my own and I immediately contact the shelter to alert them.  More so I just wanted them to know that a foster home they were using had a major flea problem and didn't seem to care.  The shelter would have provided free flea treatment if they had been told.  They also reimbursed me for my own treatment that i had to use.  

Link to comment

It didn't appear that Erin's puppy adoption was faciliatated through a shelter. It's more like she found the puppies on Craigslist. Rememeber, the exchange of said puppy happened in a parking lot. It was just a woman who failed to spay her own dog and had puppies to give away (or sell?) as a result. To me, it's about one step above puppy mill level stuff. I'm glad the puppy was rescued, but just based on what we know, the seller of this puppy isn't the most ethical person in the world. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment

steps on soapbox

She got the dog from the worst kind of backyard breeder. It's not a rescue if you pay for it, encouraging the breeder to breed more while not giving the animal basic care. There's a reason they met in a parking lot and not at the breeder's home, and it had nothing to do with distance.

steps off soapbox

  • Love 8
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...