Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E02: Mamma Mia

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, Demented Daisy said:

Dammit, every time.  Every damn time.

*bops out of the thread, singing to herself, "Mamma mia, here I go again.  My, my, how can I resist you? Mamma mia, does it show again?  My, my, just how much I missed you...."*

Every time I hear it I have the habit of squeeing "It's AAABBBAA!!" compete with jazz hands.

When my niece was 8ish, she bounded into my house (for a sleepover) yelling, "Guess what I brought?! It's AAABBBAA! Have you ever heard of ABBA?" I was so amused by it all that, now I must do that every time I hear an ABBA song. ;)

• Love 4

I really like this episode. Rick Springfield looked great and i think I'll like him as Lucifer. 

I want Lady Toni dead, dead, dead. Seriously she needs to die. 

I yelled at the screen when Dean went to give Lady Resting Bitchface the gun. So happy Dean wasn't being stupid and knocked her out.

The Crowley/Rowena stuff was good. I'm not a Rowena fan but, i love Crowley. 

Loved every scene with Dean/Mary and Mary/Sam. Adding Mary to the show has created a nice new dynamic. 

I have to admit that's two episodes in a row where Jared has done a great job acting wise. He hasn't owned every scene but that final Mary/Sam scene was beautiful to watch and it was all Jared.  Good job!

• Love 6

So, the thing I thought I'd dislike the most about this season, namely Mary's return as a recurring character, appears to be the thing I like the best.  At least so far.  I'm still undecided about the BMOL, because there's obviously way more to be discovered there.  But I am absolutely done, done, done with the Lucifer storyline.  Putting him in various meat suits isn't going to make any difference to me.  They can't wrap up that storyline soon enough to suit me.  

They do seem to be ticking off all of the boxes regarding Mary's history, which is good.  So far they're not resorting to too much retconning, and that's a great thing. 

Edited by MysteryGuest
  • Love 3

Holy Shit.  I swear, that one just chewed up MILES of plot points.  We got:
- YED mention and Mary sense of guilt
- Mary picking at the scab of Sam hunting/not-hunting/hunting
- Dean beside himself with happiness AND confusion simultaneously
- Dean seeking advice from Cas.  Cas is CLUELESS BTW, but Dean is desperate here.
- Lady McEvol was out of bounds -- good to know
- The British MoL sure know their spell work
- In just the second episode, Rowena and Crowley gave it a good shot to send Lucifer back to the cage.  Well played but not enough.  Kudos to the SFx, makeup and VFx crowd who made that HORRIFIC looking face-thing.

Still stunned:
- Lady McEvol putting Sam in a sex hallucination featuring herself.  That's some kinda non-con.  I think it's the definition of mindf*ck. I mean, it was effective.  Sam didn't EXPECT a pleasure hallucination so he must have been talking.  Still, how did he GET to that moment in the hallucination?  I'm presuming she suppressed the torture first.

I'm going to have to rewatch this a bunch of times. I feel like there was so much going on!  ETA: And yes, I loved it.  I'm just breathless.

Edited by SueB
  • Love 8

First it was Bela, now it's Lady Bevell, man Sam has a thing for pretty British ladies that hate the Winchesters.

There's got to be a reason they brought up Benny.  He's got to have some ties to Lady Bevell, or something, otherwise bringing him up was random.  I don't think he'd be used as an example if there wasn't some reason for it.

• Love 2

Ugh what a gross cliched stupid fucking thing for the mind fuck of Sam and I mean mind fuck.  Ugh.

But boy did that just wrap up a little two quickly.  Sam having no ill effects from the torture. No cuts and bruises after the fact. That's pretty weird.

Dean looking at the pictures, sitting on the kitchen floor, surrounded by beer bottles was pretty sad. I think Dean doesn't trust this at all now.

ETA: Why didn't crowley use a sigil trap and holy oil to trap Lucifer. HE KNOWS THIS SHIT>  That is stupid ass writing.

3 minutes ago, Jediknight said:

First it was Bela, now it's Lady Bevell, man Sam has a thing for pretty British ladies that hate the Winchesters.

There's got to be a reason they brought up Benny.  He's got to have some ties to Lady Bevell, or something, otherwise bringing him up was random.  I don't think he'd be used as an example if there wasn't some reason for it.

They also brought up Ruby for Sam.   How would they know about her?

I'm going to assume that Cas "cured" all of their various cuts and bruises, which is why none of them had any residual effects of their torture and or fights.

I think Dean is confused by just how he's supposed to feel right now.  His expression when Mary said that John was such a good father was very interesting.  I'm sure there's more to come there.  

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, MysteryGuest said:

I think Dean is confused by just how he's supposed to feel right now.  His expression when Mary said that John was such a good father was very interesting.  I'm sure there's more to come there.

Dean's confused but I also think he's starting to not trust it.

Sam: "I thought you were dead"

Dean: "I'm not sure I'm not" or something like that.

I think Cas has all of his powers except his ability to teleport.  And we've seen him fix the boys' bumps and bruises so many times they probably felt it wasn't necessary to actually show him doing it again.  At least that's my explanation.  This show is pretty good about continuity with battle scars when Cas isn't around to help.  

I really can't convey enough just how completely bored I am with the Lucifer stuff.  I know they have to give Crowley something to do, but couldn't they just show him whipping hell back into shape instead?  I honestly can't even watch the Lucifer scenes.  

Edited by MysteryGuest
  • Love 2

Oh a couple of theings i forgot to mention before. Loved the SFX on Lucifer. That was some great work on his acid burned face.

15 minutes ago, Jediknight said:

I didn't even think about it but, i hope you're right.  It would certainly explain Lady McEvol's OOT hatred for the Winchesters.

I love that Mary brought up her deal with YED. I worried the show might retcon it or handwave it. However,  I'm really happy they addressed it. 

Finally the mind f*ck torture technique.  That was wrong in so many levels and it just makes me hate Lady McEvol even more. 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, MysteryGuest said:

I think Cas has all of his powers except his ability to teleport.  And we've seen him fix the boys bumps and bruises so many times they probably felt it wasn't necessary to actually show him doing it again.  At least that's my explanation.  This show is pretty good about continuity with battle scars when Cas isn't around to help.  

That's fair. I forgot about Cas having all his powers back. It gets confusing.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Oh a couple of theings i forgot to mention before. Loved the SFX on Lucifer. That was some great work on his acid burned face.

I didn't even think about it but, i hope you're right.  It would certainly explain Lady McEvol's OOT hatred for the Winchesters.

I love that Mary brought up her deal with YED. I worried the show might retcon it or handwave it. However,  I'm really happy they addressed it. 

Finally the mind f*ck torture technique.  That was wrong in so many levels and it just makes me hate Lady McEvol even more. 

I think you're right about the mindf*ck torture taking away any sympathy for Lady McEvol. And I think that was intentional.  They definitely want to show her as ruthless. And by having that scene, I almost feel like they are taking any kind of softening of Sam towards Lady Toni completely off the table.  There was some buzz on-line from folks about maybe he would end up being sympathetic.  To me, her using that technique was a headshot to redemption for Lady DieAlready. 

2 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

That is confusing.  Remind me again why he can't teleport?

No wings.  

Cas has ALL his powers back but no wings since all the angels (except Lucifer) lost their wings when they fell to earth.

• Love 3

Sam broke my heart. When he gave Mary some tea and the journal and started crying? Wow. And did she seriously not hug him? I actually don't remember, because I was so focused on feeling sad for him, but dude. I hope she did, because who wouldn't?

I had kind of been OK with Toni before, but that thing of literally mind fucking Sam was disgusting. That's it, done with her. I was shouting at the TV when Mary had the gun, because I wanted her to just shoot Toni in the head.

Also, wtf was up with Sam getting all aghast and shouting "Dean!" when Dean punched Toni? I mean, Toni had nearly strangled Mary to death with her mind. What was Dean supposed to do? And why would Sam be all shocked? It was weird.

2 minutes ago, MysteryGuest said:

I thought that was interesting, too. He tried to bring up the subject later when he was telling her that John changed after she died. I think that that's what was hitting her when she opened up the journal. I mean, I think that she was missing him, but it also seemed like it was more than that.

I also thought it was interesting that there was quite a bit of focus both on Dean's reaction to Mary's love for John and Crowley's reaction to Rowena dating. Imo the contrast actually worked really well.

20 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I really like this episode. Rick Springfield looked great and i think I'll like him as Lucifer. 

The Crowley/Rowena stuff was good. I'm not a Rowena fan but, i love Crowley. 

Loved every scene with Dean/Mary and Mary/Sam. Adding Mary to the show has created a nice new dynamic. 

I have to admit that's two episodes in a row where Jared has done a great job acting wise. He hasn't owned every scene but that final Mary/Sam scene was beautiful to watch and it was all Jared.  Good job!

I liked Rick Springfield, too. He actually did a really good job playing Lucifer, imo. There was a lot of continuity with how Lucifer!Nick acted. I think RS must have watched some old episodes! I also thought the seduction scene, when Lucifer gets Vince to say yes to letting him in, was very well done.

Having Lucifer on the show at all is a terrible idea imo, but at least they're executing that storyline as well as they possibly could. I even like Crowley's vendetta toward him and Rowena getting trapped with him.

The Crowley/Rowena stuff was good. I'm not a Rowena fan but, i love Crowley

Crowley and Rowena are great together. I always like them together about 100x more than I like either of them apart.

• Love 4

Bored already with Lucifer. I love Crowley,but if there's no story for him then stick a fork in it!

I was disappointed in the family reunion. Dean eating pie like a 3 year old should not have been the focus. Where was the happiness that Dean was alive? Why did we have to have Sam see Mary alive while having to fight LadyGoScrewYourself?  I would've liked more from the brother reunion and Mary reveal, I guess.

I figured Cas healed them all up after they left the farmhouse - but then where did he go?  Does he have his own apartment now or something?

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

That is confusing.  Remind me again why he can't teleport?

He, and all the angels, lost their wings when they fell to earth. It seems like his healing powers comes from his grace, though, which he seems to have back now.

• Love 1

I don't believe we were given an explanation.  All of the recent previews about season 12 kept reiterating how Cas had his mojo back and was on the hunt for Lucifer.  I think the lack of teleporting ability was just surmised since he needed to steal a truck to get where he wanted to go last episode.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, MysteryGuest said:

I don't believe we were given an explanation.  All of the recent previews about season 12 kept reiterating how Cas had his mojo back and was on the hunt for Lucifer.  I think the lack of teleporting ability was just surmised since he needed to steal a truck to get where he wanted to go last episode.

Cas stated "everything except my wings" at one point last year.

• Love 2
Just now, SueB said:

And by having that scene, I almost feel like they are taking any kind of softening of Sam towards Lady Toni completely off the table.

There is no redemption for the audience IMO but I'm not convinced that is off the table just yet for Sam.  I want to know why they brought up Ruby.  Don't do it, show. DO NOT BRING RUBY BACK. DO NOT.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, rue721 said:

Also, wtf was up with Sam getting all aghast and shouting "Dean!" when Dean punched Toni? I mean, Toni had nearly strangled Mary to death with her mind. What was Dean supposed to do? And why would Sam be all shocked? It was weird.

I think Sam thought that by Dean knocking her out, her spell on Mary would continue.  Dean knew that if she were unconscious, it would stop working, since he'd read up on that particular spell before.  Again we learn that Dean reads!  Yay!!

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, SueB said:

No wings.  

Cas has ALL his powers back but no wings since all the angels (except Lucifer) lost their wings when they fell to earth.

Holy crap i don't think i ever put that together.  I just assumed Castiel couldn't teleport a couple seasons back because he lost his grace/working on borrowed grace etc.  

Last season I remembered him zapping Dean back in time aboard the submarine. Guess that's because it was Lucifer?  

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

He, and all the angels, lost their wings when they fell to earth. It seems like his healing powers comes from his grace, though, which he seems to have back now.

That's been a huge plothole all along. He got his grace back and they showed him with burnt wings but it makes no sense because Cas was already on earth so his wings should have never burned since he didn't actually fall like the other angels.

My head!canon is that Cas losing his grace messed with his wings and now that he has his grace back eventually his wings will heal and he can fly again. 

Really liked this. I'm loving Mary and that was my biggest concern. She kicks ass. JP, again, did great work! Good set up for the arc (if the arc is fighting the BMOL or figuring out how to work together). 

I think the pie scene was an example of JA broadly acting humor. I doubt Dean is written to have pie hanging off his face. 

Sam just has such a little boy thing going on right now. It's so sweet to see. Mary was worried that he would be upset with her re the YED and he is just so happy. Contrast that with Dean feeling sort of conflicted and maybe keeping her at a bit of arm's length. It's a good representation of the boys and how they react to the world in some ways. 

Nice note to have Mary pull back from reading the journal for now. I'm sure she's not looking forward to seeing how John hardened after her death. 

4 minutes ago, MysteryGuest said:

I think Sam thought that by Dean knocking her out, her spell on Mary would continue.  Dean knew that if she were unconscious, it would stop working, since he'd read up on that particular spell before.  Again we learn that Dean reads!  Yay!!

That was my read too. He was worried about the spell, not Toni. 

Oh! The bringing up Ruby and Benny- my interpretation of that was that she was showing them how long they had been watching Sam & Dean and their shenanigans and how much they know. She alluded to that in the season finale. 

• Love 5

Why would the writers have crowley go after luci half cocked like that? Any other time he would have a plan a, b, and c. t reeked of desperation.  Also, I know he doesn't care one wit about rowena but why didn't he take her with him?  He still needs her to put luci back in the cage.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Last season I remembered him zapping Dean back in time aboard the submarine. Guess that's because it was Lucifer?  

He can't teleport which is why Lucifer had to stay inside him.

See also: PHRASING

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, SueB said:

I think you're right about the mindf*ck torture taking away any sympathy for Lady McEvol. And I think that was intentional.  They definitely want to show her as ruthless. And by having that scene, I almost feel like they are taking any kind of softening of Sam towards Lady Toni completely off the table.  There was some buzz on-line from folks about maybe he would end up being sympathetic.  To me, her using that technique was a headshot to redemption for Lady DieAlready. 

Agree. I admit I was shocked to find out that the torture idea was all hers and she was only supposed to make contact.

I thought Rick Springfield did fine but I've already rewatched once and I didn't rewatch his scenes except the ones with Crowley and Rowena.

Really enjoyed all the scenes with Mary/Sam and Mary/Dean. I also agree that Sam's happiness and Dean's conflict feels in character. All three have been stellar IMO.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, lmdreamer said:

Also, I know he doesn't care one wit about rowena but why didn't he take her with him?  He still needs her to put luci back in the cage.

Because now we can have multiple episodes of Rowena being his pet dog, just like we watched Crowley play that role last season.  I so don't care.

And you would think that with the return of God last season, he and Lucifer would have resolved some of their issues, and Lucifer wouldn't be quite such a dick anymore.  If that wasn't going to happen, then shame on Chuck for leaving such a giant loose end hanging around to torment the men he left in charge of humanity.  He really was a hapless God.

Edited by MysteryGuest
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, Binns said:

I think the pie scene was an example of JA broadly acting humor. I doubt Dean is written to have pie hanging off his face. 

Man, Jensen ,WTF dude? He had a beautiful moment of Dean FINALLY getting his pie. The fast eating didn't bother me because Dean was so happy that Mom brought him pie. I have so much respect for his choices 99.9% of the time but this kind of ruined the whole thing. 

Sometimes I wonder if he's trying to passive-aggressively get the writers to stop writing food scenes for him if fans get annoyed enough.

Oh! The bringing up Ruby and Benny- my interpretation of that was that she was showing them how long they had been watching Sam & Dean and their shenanigans and how much they know. She alluded to that in the season finale.

If the British wing of the Men of Letters really did their research they would have seen a string of every group/affiliation (outworldly ex.Leviathans/Death/Hell/Heaven)/head monster were either destabilized or decimated just being near them or trying to take them down. It's not bragging but they bring disaster to any group and I predict that their branch of the Men of Letters will be decimated or all their magical goodies will be rendered useless because they got overconfident & reliant to keep them on top. Sam and Dean are the agent of chaos and they either by accident or on purpose will ruin their organization.

I thought the Men of Letters were suppose to be scholars/studying the supernatural this group seems overly proactive especially their use of magical items almost to the point of dependence to make sure they're on top. Isn't that an abuse of power? Which might be the start of their fall.

Also sorry, still don't like the lady Men of Letters. I find her one minute overly smug and then trying to be sympathetic at a whiplash. The  writers don't know how to write a decent female character because I know (dread) she's going to be a part of their group.

• Love 1

This episode was on point!  I was actually grossed out when Lucifer got a face full of acid.  Now I have to know why the English men of letters let the American branch go extinct and why they're after hunters when they're not suppose to be going after anyone.  It's been awhile but didn't the men of letters Grandpa say that the they observed and archived things?

1 minute ago, redfish said:

The  writers don't know how to write a decent female character because I know (dread) she's going to be a part of their group.

I think Mary, Rowena, Jody, Donna, Ellen, Jo,Charlie off and on were/are well written.  Lady FuckOffandDie is a broadly written villain. I'm fine with her sucking LOL

• Love 7
1 minute ago, SueB said:

It definitely took away ANY sympathy I had for her. Disgusting.

I think that it didn't show ruthlessness so much as...horrifically clueless kind of depravity? Even in that hallucination, she was asking questions that made it clear she had gotten no real information out of Sam, even between the sheets. I mean, "Who recruited you and who do you report to?" Where could Sam even start with that mess?

Jeez, I felt so bad for Sam. That is the most fucked up...*shudder*

1 minute ago, lmdreamer said:

Why would the writers have crowley go after luci half cocked like that? Any other time he would have a plan a, b, and c. t reeked of desperation.  Also, I know he doesn't care one wit about rowena but why didn't he take her with him?  He still needs her to put luci back in the cage.

He just got scared and ran/teleported. I think he was too busy pissing himself right then to even give Rowena or any Plan Bs a second thought.

18 minutes ago, MysteryGuest said:

I think Sam thought that by Dean knocking her out, her spell on Mary would continue.

Thanks! That makes sense.

14 minutes ago, Binns said:

Sam just has such a little boy thing going on right now. It's so sweet to see. Mary was worried that he would be upset with her re the YED and he is just so happy. Contrast that with Dean feeling sort of conflicted and maybe keeping her at a bit of arm's length. It's a good representation of the boys and how they react to the world in some ways. 

I agree completely. Really nice, really interesting.

I'm loving this storyline. Mary's always been really intriguing to me anyway, so I've been excited from jump that they've brought her on. But the family's dynamic is even more interesting that I had thought it would be.

My favorite moment with her was actually when they were back in the bunker, about to regroup, and she came in and was like, "so, what do we think?" about the BMOL. It just felt very right to me, I dunno.

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, Jediknight said:

There's got to

This just goes my head!canon that Sam is a latent masochist. LOL

• Love 1

Here's the biggest surprise of the night: the episode was written by Buckner-Lemming and while it had the requsite (for them) gross sexual thing, it was plot consistent and the episode was very good IMO.  

• Love 4

I keep thinking of things I forgot to say. I'm not a fan of the Lucifer story line because zzzzzz but I do appreciate that he's got his fangs back. Definitely malevolent and snagging Vince reminded me of how he got Nick. After his Daddy-issue fueled softening I was worried they were going to try to redeem him or something. 

• Love 3

I'm a little confused.  Yes, a faceful of acid would hurt the vessel, not the angel (and they did point that out), but since when does the angel/demon/whoever inside feel the pain?   (I seem to remember several discussions years ago about how useless it was to torture the meatsuit to get information from the demon (unless they were using the magic knife or an angel blade.))  

We've had vessels shot (remember Meg 1.0 way back in season 1 with her outraged "you shot me!") and pretty much destroyed, and as long as they could still move (didn't Dean suggest at one point they shoot demons in the knee, so that they couldn't come after them?) they didn't seem to feel their meatsuits' pain.  So in theory Lucifer would just laugh at the faceful of acid and hit back at Crowley and Rowena immediately (or at most after a second of surprise), not be distracted long enough for Rowena to work her spell.  

In theory, of course.  

I was more disappointed in the Nick 2.0 story (Luci appears as long-dead wife/gf to make the chosen vessel say yes).  Of course, maybe he's sticking with the tried-and-true plan rather than trying anything new.   ETA:  Or as Binns said above when I wasn't looking.

Edited by ahrtee
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, MysteryGuest said:

I hope so. This was the highlight of the episode for me. Dean is so confused and lost in regards to Mary and her return. Gods, I loved him so much in this episode.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Mick Lady said:

Been away, stuff happens, but Catrox, you have made my day! Thank you!!

MICK LADY!!

rBskDid.gif

18 minutes ago, SueB said:

Here's the biggest surprise of the night: the episode was written by Buckner-Lemming and while it had the requsite (for them) gross sexual thing, it was plot consistent and the episode was very good IMO.  

And was just coming here to say.

I just realized it's a Buck Lemming episode which explains all the disgusting non-con sexual shit and poor continuity with Crowley being an idiot. 

LOL different stroke for different folks.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

I'm a little confused.  Yes, a faceful of acid would hurt the vessel, not the angel (and they did point that out), but since when does the angel/demon/whoever inside feel the pain?   (I seem to remember several discussions years ago about how useless it was to torture the meatsuit to get information from the demon (unless they were using the magic knife or an angel blade.))

I didn't understand this either.  I didn't understand why Lucifer could feel pain via Cas' vessel either but I figured it was an Amara Plotonium factor.  Demons feel pain via exorcism/Sam's Hand of Ipecac, not just from being tortured by a human. Cas didn't feel pain when Dean stabbed his vessel during their first meeting. So to me sulphuric acid burning a human vessel would be annoying to Lucifer but not painful.

I feel like this is more Buck-Lemming LOLCanon...(maybe Carver wasn't the destroyer of canon as much as it was letting the writers namely Buck-Lemming run roughshod and not stopping it but I digress). 

• Love 1