Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoilery Discussion: They May Not Be Able to Travel to the Future Yet, but We Can

I'm convinced that Flynn is the hero of the show in some twisted way so I can't wait for the ep with more on his backstory.

Dude is Lucy's father or future husband/lover/whatever.  Are the episode titles spoilers?  We have Timeless - Episode 1.06 - The Watergate Tape
Timeless - Episode 1.07 - Stranded (from spoiler tv).  Stranded sounds promising.

19 hours ago, Shaynaa said:

I'm convinced that Flynn is the hero of the show in some twisted way so I can't wait for the ep with more on his backstory.

Dude is Lucy's father or future husband/lover/whatever.  Are the episode titles spoilers?  We have Timeless - Episode 1.06 - The Watergate Tape
Timeless - Episode 1.07 - Stranded (from spoiler tv).  Stranded sounds promising.

Oh sure, they aren't even pussyfooting around the notion that he thinks he's the hero.

The problem is that what he's doing seems too random. If he's trying to undo some calamitous event (presumably in the future but with roots in the show's present) he's being so inexact about it that all he's telegraphing is not caring what happens instead.

It is just a coincidence that all of the things we see him trying to change are things that seemingly would make things worse?

The ultimate twist would be if this Rittenhouse changed these exact events previously and what we think of as our reality (what the show started in) is actually the changed one. 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Oh sure, they aren't even pussyfooting around the notion that he thinks he's the hero.

The problem is that what he's doing seems too random. If he's trying to undo some calamitous event (presumably in the future but with roots in the show's present) he's being so inexact about it that all he's telegraphing is not caring what happens instead.

It is just a coincidence that all of the things we see him trying to change are things that seemingly would make things worse?

The ultimate twist would be if this Rittenhouse changed these exact events previously and what we think of as our reality (what the show started in) is actually the changed one. 

Except that in the first couple of episodes, at least (I haven't seen the most recent one yet), we always first saw the Historical Event of the Week play out as it originally did in the timeline before Flynn tweaked it, i.e., the way "their" history originally decreed that it did, which matches up with what our reality says it did.  We then saw the same event play out after Flynn had tweaked it so that it still played out, but slightly differently than the way "their/our" history says it did (i.e., the Hindenberg exploding later than it originally did, from a spark caused by a shot ricochet and with 36 people surviving who didn't survive originally, and Lincoln still being assassinated, but by Flynn himself rather than by John Wilkes Booth, who was later only blamed for the crime rather than actually being its perpetrator).

My point is that it wouldn't make sense to me to show these events playing out as they originally did if the way they did after Flynn tweaked the timeline was the way they were really supposed to happen.  It begs the question of why Rittenhouse would have changed the timeline to the one that we know in the first place.

On 10/18/2016 at 7:59 PM, legaleagle53 said:

Except that in the first couple of episodes, at least (I haven't seen the most recent one yet), we always first saw the Historical Event of the Week play out as it originally did in the timeline before Flynn tweaked it, i.e., the way "their" history originally decreed that it did, which matches up with what our reality says it did.  We then saw the same event play out after Flynn had tweaked it so that it still played out, but slightly differently than the way "their/our" history says it did (i.e., the Hindenberg exploding later than it originally did, from a spark caused by a shot ricochet and with 36 people surviving who didn't survive originally, and Lincoln still being assassinated, but by Flynn himself rather than by John Wilkes Booth, who was later only blamed for the crime rather than actually being its perpetrator).

My point is that it wouldn't make sense to me to show these events playing out as they originally did if the way they did after Flynn tweaked the timeline was the way they were really supposed to happen.  It begs the question of why Rittenhouse would have changed the timeline to the one that we know in the first place.

We are seeing how it played out before they arrived, sure. But that doesn't mean it's the original. Just that it's what happened before they interfered. It doesn't preclude a whole different set of time travelers having changed things otherwise unseen by us. 

Flynn can't have been part of those unseen earlier travel group because we've already learned you can't visit the same place twice. But this unseen Rittenhouse would have been. The biggest puzzle is actually why Flynn wants to change it back. Because he read a BOOK (written it seems by some alternate and/or future version of Lucy?)

At the very least there is ONE other way Flynn could have a motive. While Flynn can't have been the mover in the events that changed, there IS a way he could be from the original timeline. Say he's taken back to a time before any changes are made. Dropped in a cave in Prehistoric times or something. Gets lucky and doesn't kill the wrong Butterfly to cause a massive Butterfly effect, I suppose. Meanwhile Rittenhouse goes forward in history and monkeys around, THEN comes back to pick up Flynn from the past.  Because leaving him there risks him killing the wrong Butterfly, as I said--although it's not clear why Rittenhouse doesn't just kill Flynn. It could be something freaky like Rittenhouse is from further in the future and Flynn is his father or something (lets totally BS speculate and have Lucy as Rittenhouse's Mom then...)

Flynn returns to a different present, but without being barred from the rest of the timeline. Maybe Rittenhouse is the baddie here, and Flynn the good guy, or maybe its more complex than that. However you define it, Flynn, who could perhaps have been part of the original time travel project but history changed to cut him out of that loop and he now has to steal a timeship. 

I dunno. Not sure how any of this works, but I am intrigued by a possible interpretation where someone is convinced that they're the good guy and our protagonists the bad guys. It's hard working out the proper twists to make that happen though, since we have to give Flynn motivations, but also insist he couldn't have changed things in the first place.

EDIT - Okay, just saw Episode 4 after I wrote this. It does seem to make clear that Rittenhouse is an organization, not a specific person. So that shoots a lot of the above to hell.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Speaking of Flynn and his motives (as well as who/what Rittenhouse is and why Flynn hates it), we've been promised that much more will be revealed on that sooner than later:  http://tvline.com/2016/10/27/once-upon-a-time-spoilers-charmings-evil-queen/

You said it yourselves, Timeless needs to start spilling on Flynn’s agenda and the larger mystery. Tell me we won’t have to wait for the season finale or something. —TJ
The 411 on the mysterious Rittenhouse “is going to get revealed sooner than anyone thinks,” says EP Eric Kripke. “I am not a fan of the endless tease in storytelling. I like asking questions and then, sooner than anyone thinks, answering the questions and then asking bigger, scarier questions. That’s what we do. As early as the Watergate episode [airing Nov. 14], we really start to reveal quite a lot more about Rittenhouse. And we do it again in Episode 10. In this first run of shows before Christmas, we’re going to get a pretty good understanding of who they are and what they’re doing — and why Garcia Flynn is doing what he’s doing. But that only opens the door [to] a scarier world and higher stakes.”

• Love 3

Oh cool.  Some semi-answers in the next episode.  That at least is promising.  But this one will be episode 6 so why wait until #10 for more.  I want it all now!

Watergate huh.  Maybe Nixon's head from Futurama comes back through time to warn him in time his "plummers" are a rather inept lot.  Oh wait, it is about Flynn.  Damn, like my version better.

• Love 1

Thanks for the link earlier to that chief writer's interview.  I was so ready for this episode.  This was fun.

Next week the French and Indian War.  Richard Rogers involved?  George Washington?  They would both be there.  My money is on Washington cause he actually tried to form an America a few years down the road while Rogers was a tory.

Edited by green

It will be interesting to see what Flynn has in mind to do to stop Rittenhouse in 1754, since it apparently won't even be founded for another 24 years. Then again, I haven't yet figured out exactly how his tweaking the Hindenburg disaster in 1934, Lincoln's assassination in 1865, Von Braun's surrender to the Americans in 1944, the Alamo massacre in 1836, or the missing Watergate tape and the Doc in 1972 were supposed to have erased Rittenhouse from existence, either (the stop in 1962 Las Vegas was really more of a pitstop to get a permanent power source for the mothership than any real attempt to alter history).

And we have a winner.  Quote from Wikipedia:

David Rittenhouse (April 8, 1732 – June 26, 1796) was a renowned American astronomer, inventor, clockmaker, mathematician, surveyor, scientific instrument craftsman and public official. Rittenhouse was a member of the American Philosophical Society and the first director of the United States Mint.

I remembered a poster said something about a real Rittenhouse in an earlier episode thread but forgot what they said.  Decided to let Wikipedia spoil me.  Rittenhouse would be 22 years old in 1754 so he has to be at the core of this next episode.

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 11:35 PM, green said:

Thanks for the link earlier to that chief writer's interview.  I was so ready for this episode.  This was fun.

Next week the French and Indian War.  Richard Rogers involved?  George Washington?  They would both be there.  My money is on Washington cause he actually tried to form an America a few years down the road while Rogers was a tory.

I find the French and Indian War choice to be an exciting one.

On 11/14/2016 at 9:35 PM, green said:

Just imagine Lucy's reaction upon meeting George Washington in the flesh.  If you thought she was starstruck over meeting Lincoln... .

• Love 2
19 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

We're going to the Chicago World's Fair in 1893, and we're meeting both Harry Houdini and the deadliest serial killer of that era

Oooh! I recommend reading The Devil in the White City. Fascinating book about the World's Fair and the serial killer. But that also means I may be shouting at the TV a lot.

• Love 1
On 11/22/2016 at 10:15 AM, Shanna Marie said:

Oooh! I recommend reading The Devil in the White City. Fascinating book about the World's Fair and the serial killer. But that also means I may be shouting at the TV a lot.

Co-sign on the Devil in the White City book.

• Love 1

So... let us clear some stuff out.
1. Lucy is born to a member of Rittenhouse... or somebody working FOR them. If it is the latter, it explains why she is not roped in to work with/for them (I am sceptical to the idea that just because her mother wanted nothing to do with that dude, they'd have left her be, if progeny was that important). He is a professor. Of? Anybody remembers?

2. Flynn has a diary written by Lucy. Maybe. Which maybe be specially written or manipulative in order to confuse somebody. Maybe Flynn... maybe somebody else. What if that diary was written by an alternative Lucy, who IS/WAS/WILL BE/WHATEVER working for Rittenhouse? Maybe she was the Lucy who got the fiance and never had a sister? Oh, I think the sister was mentioned as being part of the diary? I don't recall.

3. Rufus... he is interesting and I believe, he is the story most important character. I predict his untimely death or getting stuck in the past or having his family disappeared. Something. :)

4. Bland-guy-what's-his-name with the wife. I am betting money his story is never resolved. :)

5. Agent Cristopher sounded not long for this world, considering she managed to make Rufus talk. If she survives, that would be awesome though. :) I really, really liked that she was smart enough to start acting on her hunches. Hell, I'd have been suspicious on that guy and I am not a cop. :)

6. Anthony. What is his motivation? I am getting complete zero, maybe they jumped in the future and saw the end of the world, which motivated him sufficiently?

:)

3 hours ago, Eneya said:

1. Lucy is born to a member of Rittenhouse... or somebody working FOR them. If it is the latter, it explains why she is not roped in to work with/for them (I am sceptical to the idea that just because her mother wanted nothing to do with that dude, they'd have left her be, if progeny was that important). He is a professor. Of? Anybody remembers?

2. Flynn has a diary written by Lucy. Maybe. Which maybe be specially written or manipulative in order to confuse somebody. Maybe Flynn... maybe somebody else. What if that diary was written by an alternative Lucy, who IS/WAS/WILL BE/WHATEVER working for Rittenhouse? Maybe she was the Lucy who got the fiance and never had a sister? Oh, I think the sister was mentioned as being part of the diary? I don't recall.

3. Rufus... he is interesting and I believe, he is the story most important character. I predict his untimely death or getting stuck in the past or having his family disappeared. Something. :)

4. Bland-guy-what's-his-name with the wife. I am betting money his story is never resolved. :)

5. Agent Cristopher sounded not long for this world, considering she managed to make Rufus talk. If she survives, that would be awesome though. :) I really, really liked that she was smart enough to start acting on her hunches. Hell, I'd have been suspicious on that guy and I am not a cop. :)

6. Anthony. What is his motivation? I am getting complete zero, maybe they jumped in the future and saw the end of the world, which motivated him sufficiently?

Why is this in the Spoiler thread?  Do we need a separate thread for non-spoilery speculation?  Mods, help!

On 12/7/2016 at 4:49 PM, Eneya said:

Fear not.  I just took it to the newly created Speculation without Spoilers thread.  No harm done.  :)

• Love 1
Spoiler

Question: Timeless junkie here. Will there be any more present-day twists for the time travelers after a trip? Like, say, Wyatt’s wife not being dead? —Nicole
Ausiello: There are no “major” timeline tweaks following the team’s most recent trip in the fall finale, executive producer Shawn Ryan tells TVLine. But when the show returns on Jan. 16, “Garcia Flynn will be doing a lot of investigating about what has or hasn’t changed. He’ll be angry that not as much has changed as he would have liked.”

http://tvline.com/2016/12/20/the-big-bang-theory-season-10-spoilers-sheldon-amy-ask-ausiello/2/

Hmm, I'm actually surprised there isn't any big changes....

The writers have been listening, it seems:

Will any of the other Timeless characters — like Agent Christopher, Connor Mason or Jiya — travel in the Lifeboat through time? —Mindy
As a matter of fact, “We’re going to see somebody train to do that,” exec producer Shawn Ryan answers. “I won’t say whether he or she does it immediately or not. But there are going to be people who understand that it’d be nice to have a deeper bench than they currently have.” Over on the Mothership, meanwhile, “We’ll see a new traveler in the second half of the season. We’re going to expand our cast of characters in the time travel arena a little bit.”

Source:  http://tvline.com/2017/01/09/arrow-season-5-spoilers-felicity-darker/

• Love 1

It looks as though we're going to get a Wyatt-centric episode in the not-too-distant future:  http://ew.com/tv/2017/01/20/spoiler-room-timeless-blacklist-redemption-once-upon-time/?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

Is Wyatt really going to find a way to stop his wife’s killer on Timeless? — Sandra
We won’t have to wait long to see what Wyatt does with the information — in fact, there’s an entire episode dedicated to it. However, Flynn has an ulterior motive in offering up that info. “He’s done it definitely for his own agenda. He’s trying to mess with him,” Goran Visnjic says. “His biggest agenda is that he wants to throw a spike in Wyatt’s wheel. He knows that Wyatt is not going to go there and kill the guy, so in order to do something, he needs to go back in the past. Are they going to give him the time machine? No. So what does Wyatt need to do? He has to do something crazy. Whatever crazy Wyatt does is good for Flynn.”

• Love 1

Huh. Looks like we're getting an 80's episode after all. I guess they can technically do 1982 because Lucy wasn't born until '83. We can assume Wyatt and Rufus are younger than that? If the episode title is an indicator of the year, I'm guessing 1983.

Edited by methodwriter85

Bringing this over from the Speculation without Spoilers thread, RE: what might happen with Wyatt

In a description I read for the next episode, it refers to Lucy, Rufus and a "new" soldier going back to meet Hemingway. 

And, yes, I am aware that Lanter is co-lead (and I wish him no ill). I am also aware the show is in trouble, and TPTB introduced the possibility of replacing Wyatt five or six shows ago. I am also aware that a number of people have singelled out Wyatt's inability to complete his mission. 

Yeah, I'm aware of that, too (both the episode description, and the opinions of Lanter/ Wyatt), but I still highly doubt he'll be off the show. I don't think fans' opinions are going to cause a change that major, especially not mid-season... though I could certainly be wrong!

I did go to recheck the photos Misha Collins posted of his upcoming guest appearance because I thought they'd offer proof that Wyatt was back on the team, but it turned out, while Lanter is in the picture, he's the only one not wearing a period costume. So that's kind of interesting. Though I think that's only the episode after this next one, right? I'm not sure how long they can keep Wyatt sidelined/ locked up/ off the traveling team and still keep his character relevant, but maybe he really will be sidelined till the end of the season (since that's not too far off, right?), and TPTB will reassess (and possibly get rid of him for good) if there's a season two.

Or maybe he'll go over to the dark side (Flynn)?

On Lanter's Instagram there is a recent video of him and Malcolm Barrett goofing around in period costume, though I suppose it could be a video shot previously that he only posted now. (To me they looked like fairly generic "old time clothes," but maybe someone with sharper eyes/ a better memory could match them up to a previous episode?)

• Love 1

I agree - highly unlikely to dump someone so late in the season, but it is odd if he isn't in this episode. Maybe there'll be in some subplot with him getting his come-uppance by the Homeland Security lady.

Somewhere (recently) I saw a photo of our three heros (inc. Lanter) in WWII garb. It looked to be Pearl Harbor.

I assume Wyatt will be missing from Team Inept just for one episode which gives him the time to mess around in the current time like Lucy did last episode.  And when I say mess I mean mess.  This character messes up more than any other character I can remember on a TV show.  I would love for him to be written out but that will never happen.

Just read the synopsis and saw the promo pics for 1.15 'Public Enemy No.1' and Wyatt is back with the team, along with the lead-in on the synopsis being "the reunited team".

I never had a doubt that Wyatt would be away for an extended period of time, but glad they're not dragging it out endlessly & needlessly.

23 hours ago, Norma Desmond said:

I like the character and the actor.

I agree.  Sure, he's written with flaws and shortcomings, but if he was never allowed to be any less than 100% effective at his job (on the team), then this show would only need one abbreviated season to tell.  IE, killing Flynn in the first episode and then stopping Rittenhouse in the remaining few.

Unpopular opinion, but if the good guys always attain the upper hand and 'win' without mistakes, it would eliminate 95% of the suspense surrounding the episodic - & overall mytharc - formulae and not be all that compelling to watch on a weekly basis.  jmo

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, j5cochran said:

That pillbox hat and three-quarter length sleeved suit on Lucy looks very Jackie Kennedy 1960s to me, not Al Capone 1930s.

Wanted to say the very same thing. I'm boggling at the picture and the show's historical fashions fail. And this kind of thing could be googled in three seconds!

1930s-fashion-01.jpg

1930s-fashion-winter-style-ruth-hall.jpg

18 hours ago, CooperTV said:
18 hours ago, j5cochran said:

That pillbox hat and three-quarter length sleeved suit on Lucy looks very Jackie Kennedy 1960s to me, not Al Capone 1930s.

Wanted to say the very same thing. I'm boggling at the picture and the show's historical fashions fail. And this kind of thing could be googled in three seconds!

Agreed!  And her hair is just wrong for the decade.  Should be shorter, with more defined waves (think Claudette Colbert in It Happened One Night.)

But I was just a little taken aback when they showed Al Capone because I would have sworn they already DID Capone a few weeks ago -- then I realized that was on DC's Legends of Tomorrow (which is my husband's favorite time-travelling show!)  I guess my time-travel and supernatural stuff shows (Timeless, Legends of Tomorrow, Grimm, Sleepy Hollow, etc.)  are starting to all run together <g>!

I wonder if Capone will die or be imprisoned in some other way than tax evasion.  Only to get out of prison and die of tertiary syphilis in his late 40's.  I saw a death from that once, years ago -- young guy -- horrible way to go.  

Maybe they thought they were going back to 1962, dressed accordingly and then Flynn pulled a fast one on them. Rufus looks like Bachelor Father. Wyatt is in his street clothes so he must have been a stowaway.

14 hours ago, orza said:

Maybe they thought they were going back to 1962, dressed accordingly and then Flynn pulled a fast one on them.

The episode description does say that they're "caught off guard" when Flynn goes to the 30s, so that could suggest they're prepared for something else. Their ship is tied to Flynn's, so if he changes course, does that mean they do, too? Like they found that he jumped to the early 60s and head after him, but while they're in transit he goes to another time, would that drag them to the other time? They can travel independently, as seen when Wyatt and Rufus went to the 1980s, but when they're chasing Flynn, are they just using Flynn's signal to set their own course, or are they doing the lifeboat thing and actually following his course?

In addition to Lucy's wrong-era clothes, Wyatt appears to be dressed in his regular (2017) clothes in the promo shot, which is weird. Still not sure how he gets to go with him, but you'd think smuggling him onto the ship would be a lot harder than smuggling an appropriate change of clothes for him.

On 2/8/2017 at 5:22 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

In addition to Lucy's wrong-era clothes, Wyatt appears to be dressed in his regular (2017) clothes in the promo shot, which is weird. Still not sure how he gets to go with him, but you'd think smuggling him onto the ship would be a lot harder than smuggling an appropriate change of clothes for him.

True, but while watching the promos it seems like Rufus (or Jiya, with a prompt from Rufus) must set up a momentary 'blackout' because it shows all the electrical equipment 'shorting out' and everyone [who isn't the main 3 or Jiya] looking around and going "wth is going on?".  So I'm guessing they use that as a distraction to sneak Wyatt on board the Lifeboat.

..... doesn't shed any light on how they'll explain him being in the Lifeboat when they come back - to Mason Industries and then outside & away - without being caught, though.

Maybe he'll just live in the lifeboat from now on... Does that thing have a cleaning/ interior maintenance crew?

Or maybe they'll try really hard to wreak absolute havoc in this next mission so they can come back to a seriously altered timeline and a room full of people who won't know Wyatt wasn't supposed to be on the mission.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Or maybe they'll try really hard to wreak absolute havoc in this next mission so they can come back to a seriously altered timeline and a room full of people who won't know Wyatt wasn't supposed to be on the mission.

That would make for a really fun episode. But I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it. Still, dear Santa and Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, Soulcake Duck, and everyone else who owes me, I want this.

• Love 3

I didn't see the promo for Monday's episode till now-- was it just me, or was there an unconscious Wyatt 3.0 in the life boat as Wyatt Original Version comes aboard? It cracked me up... I wonder how they're going to keep him knocked out for the entire mission. I guess he's the wrong size for Wyatt to steal his era-appropriate clothing?

On 2/11/2017 at 5:49 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

I didn't see the promo for Monday's episode till now-- was it just me, or was there an unconscious Wyatt 3.0 in the life boat as Wyatt Original Version comes aboard? It cracked me up... I wonder how they're going to keep him knocked out for the entire mission. I guess he's the wrong size for Wyatt to steal his era-appropriate clothing?

I didn't notice that when I saw the promo, but it would make sense.  Wouldn't want to send the non-trained & pacifist pilot and historian out without any sort of protection.