Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Episode 5

• Start Topic

Oh Francis, just when we had all started to love him.  Of course I was braced for it after he  kissed Elizabeth and his little boy goodbye so sweetly. That's like coughing in a movie, a sure indicator of impending doom. 

I did like that Demelza told Francis that he was forgiven, by her at least, and that he wasn't judged by one bad thing when there was so much good.  Which explains why she has been so sweet and loving to Ross in spite of the attempted infidelity she overheard.

Elizabeth will have to be strong to fend off Geroge Warleggan's campaign to get her.  We know she likes financial security and besotted devotion.  I could see plans whirling in his little head the moment he heard of Francis's death.  I was surprised he managed to keep from grinning .

Final shallow remark: I think Ross Poldark looks like an absolute, party prank in action, when he shows up at formal dinners with a four day scruff. Beards, muttonchops, powdered wigs, patches, ruffles to the ears, yes.  Scruffs, no.  That's for peasants only in 1792.

• Love 3

Poor Francis. I had to laugh (ruefully) at how classic his demise was. He finally gets his moment of satisfaction and happiness (and teh sex with Elizabeth!) and then boom! He drowns in the mine that was going to be his redemption.

I wish they wouldn't make George quite so mustache-twirling. His feelings for Elizabeth don't quite mitigate that for me. I did love him hissing at Elderly Aunt Poldark that he wished her dead, and her deciding to hang on for all it's worth just to spite him.

• Love 4

I wish they wouldn't make George quite so mustache-twirling. His feelings for Elizabeth don't quite mitigate that for me. I did love him hissing at Elderly Aunt Poldark that he wished her dead, and her deciding to hang on for all it's worth just to spite him.

That's not episode five, right?

I knew how the story played out since I watched the first series, but damn, Francis's death was hard to watch. 

One thing I wish is that for just once Ross gets the upper-hand over George. George trying to ruin Ross at every turn is getting old.

George is worse than a teenager with his hurt feelings. Put on some big boy pants and get over it. Ross.does.not.like.you. So what!

• Love 6

For some reason, when PBS showed episodes one and two on the same night, they called it episode one.  That has thrown the numbering completely off.  So in England, they have ten listed episodes and the US has nine.  Last night's episode was # 4 in the US and #5 in Britain.  This could have been easily averted by PBS simply saying the first airing was episodes one and two.

I don't think it would have made much difference had Francis been able to swim.  There was nothing really to hold on to and that water in the mine was very cold and hypothermia inducing.  Rotten luck and very sad for us in the audience who grew to love the character.

• Love 4

It happened in whatever episode was shown yesterday. Was that not the fifth?

Here in Washington, DC, the latest episode ended with Francis' funeral. George hasn't had the time to stop by Trenwith and interact with Aunt Agatha.

George stopping by Trenwith and verbally sparring with Agatha was in the Francis dying episode. This visit, specifically George's talks with Elizabeth, led to Francis paying him a visit and telling him never to set foot at Trenwith again. 

Edited by Clawdette
  • Love 1

Awww, Francis. ?  Someone on the Walking Dead forum (of all places) spoiled it for me, but between Francis and the deaths on TWD I'm terribly saddened.  At least Francis repaired all the relationships in his family before he died.  Now I suppose will come a lot of sniffing around the Widow Poldark. I imagine Demelza will come unhinged by doubt. 

• Love 3

George stopping by Trenwith and verbally sparring with Agatha was in the Francis dying episode. This visit, specifically George's talks with Elizabeth, led to Francis paying him a visit and telling him never to set foot at Trenwith again.

I must have blacked out because I don't remember that at all. I must admit, though, my mind was wandering during this episode. I don't know why it didn't engage me.

Could they have dragged poor Francis' imminent death out any longer?  Or telegraphed it more completely?  I love this show, but this particular story line was agonizing to watch.  Not in a good way.

• Love 5

For some reason, when PBS showed episodes one and two on the same night, they called it episode one.  That has thrown the numbering completely off.  So in England, they have ten listed episodes and the US has nine.  Last night's episode was # 4 in the US and #5 in Britain.  

If you record, these episodes are numbered correctly. The first two episodes recorded as separate episodes, 1 and 2. 

They were too heavy-handed with Francis' impending death. I guess this will be a soap where nobody can be happy for long.

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 8:54 PM, Haleth said:

Awww, Francis. ?  Someone on the Walking Dead forum (of all places) spoiled it for me, but between Francis and the deaths on TWD I'm terribly saddened.  At least Francis repaired all the relationships in his family before he died.  Now I suppose will come a lot of sniffing around the Widow Poldark. I imagine Demelza will come unhinged by doubt. 

Ha, ME TOO.

So then I had to cringe for the full hour.  Ross get summoned up top--no, nooooo, don't leave Francis alone in the mine.  Cave-in!  Francis goes to confront George--here it comes!

Finally it came, and it felt like he was dying in real time.  Really?  So rude to have Ross show up for a fakeout rescue--which I totally bought, regardless--60 seconds before he shows up for real, too late.

Well, at least I was able to follow the narrative this week.  Yay!

• Love 2