Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: A Night at the Opera

Diana got some! Diana got some!! And he was hot.

Okay.  Because they went to a place that "even" SATC didn't visit, I may as well two-cents it.  What was shockingly *not* mentioned is the real reason some women enjoy it: 

Orgasm relieves menstrual cramps.

You're welcome.

• Love 6

Unfortunately, it makes my cramps worse! But for anyone who wants to have period sex, it doesn't have to be messy. Just use an Instead Softcup (which is similar to a DivaCup but shaped differently). You can have sex and there's no need to save your old towels like Josh.

Heather from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend was Taylor (the literary half of the Stoopid Girls). If the Stoopids are demanding $3000 for a social media post, how are their student loans not paid off yet? I would totally read Taylor's book about Empress Theodora, BRYCE.

While I am all for Diana getting some, I hate that she was being portrayed as bitchy an unreasonable because she expected to have some peace and quiet. There's a reason why the HOA or co-op board sets times when construction is/isn't okay. As far as I'm concerned, no one should be mowing their lawn, using a leaf blower, trimming trees with a chainsaw, or otherwise making loud noise before 8am. I don't care if I'm already awake or not. That's just common fucking courtesy. We also know that Diana tends to work late so if she was at home in her robe, it wasn't like 5pm. It was more likely 8pm and yes, construction needs to be over by then too.

One of my huge complaints about this show from the beginning has been the way they dress/style/portray Diana because in my experience, professional 40 year old women don't have severe chignons, her big ugly necklaces, or her questionable wardrobe. Although that one shouldered dress was inappropriate for work, I was all for it because she looked so much younger than she normally does. It was a great color on her too.

And now I'm going to sound like an old lady because when Diana gave Liza's outfit major side eye, I was too. Sorry, I can't bring myself to wear a printed high necked blouse with the kind of foofy bow I associate with the 80s paired with denim shortalls, let alone imagine wearing that in a professional environment.

MV5BMzM4OTYzNDk3OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTEx

• Love 8
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

While I am all for Diana getting some, I hate that she was being portrayed as bitchy an unreasonable because she expected to have some peace and quiet.

Same here, and I also didn't appreciate that a few good romps is all she needed to stop being crabby. It's an ugly, misogynistic trope.

Liza's overalls and froofy blouse outfit was hideous, but whatever. This isn't the first inappropriate/weird outfit she's worn to work. Publishing has more relaxed standards anyway. I love Diana's style, and I don't find it wrong for her age, position, or industry. They get Kelsey right most of the time, I think, if putting her in stuff that's probably outside her salary. But that's TV in general.

Was Liza's opera dress a dress or jumpsuit? Since she had to unzip to go to the bathroom, I guess the latter. Too much work, and you have to hold the outfit so it doesn't drag on the bathroom floor. Eew.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

And now I'm going to sound like an old lady because when Diana gave Liza's outfit major side eye, I was too. Sorry, I can't bring myself to wear a printed high necked blouse with the kind of foofy bow I associate with the 80s paired with denim shortalls, let alone imagine wearing that in a professional environment.

MV5BMzM4OTYzNDk3OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTEx

oh my god I totally would! (which like...I'm 21, still in school and don't actually have a professional job. (But, switch the shortalls for a pair of high waisted jeans and it's the exact outfit I wore last week.)) I don't think I'd wear a print like that one, though, it's too busy for the top, especially with the bow. Hey, designer. Choose one.

It's so nice to see Diana getting laid! and with someone so HOT! Incredible. (oh, the old "sex and someone changes their look, personality. cliche, but it worked)

The more this show goes on, the less I like Josh. I don't even know why, but ugh he just rubs me completely the wrong way.  None of Liza's too options are great imo.

Super cool seeing Vella Lovell in this ep, though (Crazy Ex GF doesn't use her well, imo. She has range.) I'd read that book. I'd read it twice, at least. Love historical fiction. (but hate writing it but thats another thing)

I forgot what youtube conventions were like so no thanks, show, for the reminder.  

How has the period sex thing never come up before between Liza and Josh...? They've been together for what has to be many months (a year? I don't know what the time on the show is supposed to be...) at this point, and rarely bother to keep their hands off each other for 15 minutes in a row. That topic would have made more sense if it was a new relationship... 

37 minutes ago, allonsyalice said:

The more this show goes on, the less I like Josh. I don't even know why, but ugh he just rubs me completely the wrong way.  

Yeah, I also grow weary of Josh, but can't necessarily figure out why. I think it might be in part that the writers are dragging out his existence in Liza's life for way too long. He should have been kicked to the curb, imo, after he was dating that magazine writer person and made Liza climb out a window (though I was already sick of him by then too...). Now he doesn't really offer anything to the plot other than lame jokes about her age.  (Side note - how does she put up with that? A couple times, okay, *harhar*. But it's constant. Get over it or move on, pal! Either way, shut up!)

Edited by wovenloaf
  • Love 5

Liza's opera dress/jumpsuit/whatever was hideous except for the inconvenient but lovely back-zip.  Those pocket cuffs were in the exact wrong spots.

I noticed next week Lex from Odd Mom Out is Kelsey's date - he's great in OMO.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, allonsyalice said:

I'd read that book. I'd read it twice, at least. Love historical fiction.

I liked that whole story line, and I hope it continues. (But it probably won't.) What'shisface really has no clue how anything works if he's unaware of YouTube/social media stars wanting to do more than just what their YouTube/social media brand is. And he's really got to stop throwing around the word spectrum as an excuse for his assholish behavior. The more I think about it, the more I think it is an excuse, not a genuine diagnosis for him. And that's gross on a lot of levels.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, dubbel zout said:

I liked that whole story line, and I hope it continues. (But it probably won't.) What'shisface really has no clue how anything works if he's unaware of YouTube/social media stars wanting to do more than just what their YouTube/social media brand is. And he's really got to stop throwing around the word spectrum as an excuse for his assholish behavior. The more I think about it, the more I think it is an excuse, not a genuine diagnosis for him. And that's gross on a lot of levels.

yeah i can name a few youtubers who have books now (DanIsNotOnFire/AmazingPhil co wrote one, Carrie Hope Fletcher has two going on three, CharlieIsSoCoolLike made a science book which I'm kind of excited about, Zoella i think her name is came under fire when it looked like she didn't really give her cowriter credit) None of these people, save Dan and Phil and Charlie (and Carrie sort of, since her first book was based off her blog) wrote books that are directly are directly related to what they do on youtube. it's completely stupid of this character to think that all viewers want is ... what they see on the internet. Why would anyone buy a book if its the same thing they can see on the internet? 

he's just such a bad character honestly. he's unnecessary. I wish he would go away.

• Love 3

Bryce may well be on the spectrum, but it's not an excuse for his behavior. I work with ten year olds on the spectrum (across it, really) and even at their age they know when they're crossing an inappropriate line. If Bryce weren't a billionaire that everyone at Imperical had to suck up to, they wouldn't put up with his bullshit. In fact, his wealth allows him to get away with a lot in general. 

Since Taylor is known as Tay, and her "Stoopid Girls" persona isn't likely known outside her fanbase, why not publish under her real name, get some advance praise for her fantastic sounding novel, THEN play up the "Stoopid Girls" angle once its merit is established. Some "Not So Stoopid After All" angle to generate the sales once it already has literary cred is set. 

• Love 4

WHY is Bryce still on this show? Of all the random one off characters, this is the asshole we keep around? He`s like a shallow, annoying parody of silicon valley millionaires, and if I wanted to watch a parody of silicon valley millionaires, I would be watching Silicon Valley! Can we keep Heather from Crazy Ex Girlfriend instead? Her book sounds really cool, and she is a much more interesting millenniall and non stereotypical character. 

I swear, Liza wears the weirdest stuff. That shirt with the tie was cute, but combined with the overall shorts? It was like a disco farmer!

I went to a Youtuber convention one time, and it was a lot of fun, but it really is a weird scene. Luckily most of the people there were more Vloggers and Reviewers, and less of the weird gross out people. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

WHY is Bryce still on this show? Of all the random one off characters, this is the asshole we keep around? He`s like a shallow, annoying parody of silicon valley millionaires, and if I wanted to watch a parody of silicon valley millionaires, I would be watching Silicon Valley! Can we keep Heather from Crazy Ex Girlfriend instead? Her book sounds really cool, and she is a much more interesting millenniall and non stereotypical character. 

I swear, Liza wears the weirdest stuff. That shirt with the tie was cute, but combined with the overall shorts? It was like a disco farmer!

I went to a Youtuber convention one time, and it was a lot of fun, but it really is a weird scene. Luckily most of the people there were more Vloggers and Reviewers, and less of the weird gross out people. 

Is it that the writers are making an in-joke about what a middle-aged person thinks a 26-year old would wear?  I can't get the angle of this...

• Love 4

You don't sound like an old lady.  Liza's work outfit was ridiculous, and made no sense for her particular office environment.

Yeah, I also grow weary of Josh, but can't necessarily figure out why. I think it might be in part that the writers are dragging out his existence in Liza's life for way too long. He should have been kicked to the curb, imo, after he was dating that magazine writer person and made Liza climb out a window (though I was already sick of him by then too...).

I think Josh is okay, but it does feel somewhat like he doesn't quite get Liza, and their relationship is somewhat forced.     

I loved seeing Heather from Crazy Ex Girlfriend in this role.  My TV worlds collided when I saw her in this.  Perfect!  I hope Liza tells Charles what Bryce said about the "old people" and finds a way to unload him and publish the book.  ITA, Bryce is a bad parody of a Silicon Valley "wunderkind", only there's absolutely nothing wondrous about him.  His "spectrum" BS is just an excuse for being a rabid narcissist, and not a very talented one at that.  His part in this show reminds me of a few "Frasier" episodes where the radio station is bought out by a 90s equivalent rich "wunderkind", but they found a way to conveniently write him out after a few episodes of mayhem and ass kissing.  I am hoping for the same here.

Patricia Field often goes on tangents with the costumes on this show.  Diana's necklaces are sometimes over-exaggerated and IMO can seem a little "mature" for her at her age.  Sometimes her clothes are reminiscent to me of stuff I might see at Chico's.  Forgive me, I am 58 and I still think Chico's is too "old" for me so that's where I'm coming from.

Interesting that Josh is wearing on some people.  He always wore on me.  I never thought his relationship with Liza had much substance other than for a sweet midlife romp.  As sweet midlife romps go, he's tops, but for the long haul not so much.  I'm a Charles girl all the way.  I have to admit he is one of the rare men on TV right now that makes me feel like a schoolgirl.  Even in those soap commercials!

• Love 4

It never occurred to me that the period thing is a generational issue, mostly cuz it's not, I think. I'm older than Liza (also, I kind of highly doubt that Debi Mazar still has this issue at all, sorry) and I never saw any big deal about it. I dated younger and older men pre-my SO, and the reactions to it were varied and usually fine but there wasn't a consistent generational-skewed result to it. This show tries too hard sometimes to emphasize the age gaps. I agree this issue would have come up before now.

I like Josh--he's sweet, he's cute, he seems genuinely in love with Liza. My longtime SO is 16 years younger than me so I don't think younger men are only for 'sweet midlife romps'...they can be in for the long haul too. Charles is handsome but seems so stodgy, so I'm unclear why Liza is pining for him. Except that she's stodgy too.

I never liked high necked tie-bow blouses and am unsure ANYone should wear shortalls, so yeah, that outfit was dubious. I didn't really like Liza's opera outfit either, except, as someone noted, for the back. Sutton Foster has an amazing back.

• Love 7

It bothered me that Liza left the restroom with her dress (?) unzipped and then stood there out in the open struggling with it. Why wouldn't she just have had someone who was also in the restroom help her?  Of course, then she wouldn't have had her "moment" with Charles. It still annoyed me though!

Edited by srpturtle80
  • Love 5

Being the same age as Mazar, she could still have this issue.  My gyno told me that 51 is the average age.  that does mean that some of us keep going in the early 50s.  It could still be a generational issue for some, I don't recall ever having a guy even want to continue during that time, other than taking the opportunity to get some extra bj.  

Liza and Charles do have chemistry, you could feel it during the scene of him zipping her up.  I do agree that why would she leave the restroom in an unzipped state in the first place.

I like Diane's necklaces.  I wouldn't wear them, but I think they look fine on her.  Certainly a lot better than shortalls with that blouse.  Yeeuch!

I so appreciated Liza and Kelsey feeling old at the youtubers con.  that was pretty funny.  Good thing for Liza that Kelsey felt just as out of place as her.  I think that really is the new generation's "thing."  My pre-teen kids love their youtubers and are always begging me to take them to some appearance (though the ones they want to see have been too far away so far). I heard someone say the other day that the next generation would be called iGen (for iphone-gen), but I could see it being called uGen with their near addiction to youtube.

I do hate the excuse of "my spectrum" or "keeping it real" to justify being rude to other people.  Everyone can learn better manners.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, luna1122 said:

It never occurred to me that the period thing is a generational issue, mostly cuz it's not, I think. I'm older than Liza (also, I kind of highly doubt that Debi Mazar still has this issue at all, sorry) and I never saw any big deal about it. I dated younger and older men pre-my SO, and the reactions to it were varied and usually fine but there wasn't a consistent generational-skewed result to it. This show tries too hard sometimes to emphasize the age gaps. I agree this issue would have come up before now.

Oh it's definitely not a generational issue unless Gen X suddenly got more modest, because I'm a late Boomer and never had an issue with it.  Then again I came of age in the swinging '70s when we "let it all hang out", LOL.

Besides, someone mentioned a Softcup-thingy upthread to dam the flow - Back in the stone age I used to use my diaphragm.  Served the same purpose and worked every bit as well.

Edited by Snarklepuss
9 hours ago, luna1122 said:

I like Josh--he's sweet, he's cute, he seems genuinely in love with Liza. My longtime SO is 16 years younger than me so I don't think younger men are only for 'sweet midlife romps'...they can be in for the long haul too. Charles is handsome but seems so stodgy, so I'm unclear why Liza is pining for him. Except that she's stodgy too.

Oh, it's not because of his age that I called Liza's relationship with Josh a "midlife romp", but because he's hot and they really don't have all that much in common, plus she's kind of at that age of being ripe for a midlife post-divorce romp.  That can happen with a guy of any age, LOL.

Did anyone else think that the Stoopid girls was a parody of Broad City? Sad MO - two NYC girls who started on YouTube acting like total morons, but in RL very articulate, educated and very aware of how to market themselves out of the internet into wider popular culture.

20 hours ago, DiegoBurger said:

Did anyone else think that the Stoopid girls was a parody of Broad City? Sad MO - two NYC girls who started on YouTube acting like total morons, but in RL very articulate, educated and very aware of how to market themselves out of the internet into wider popular culture.

Might've been, but the Stoopid Girls just seem to do idiotic dares, while Broad City had storytelling. And I don't think anyone expects real-life Abbi and Ilana to behave like their same-name alter egos. 

Edited by ZuluQueenOfDwarves

Well, I asked for youtubers and I got 'em so, good job, show. Though it's a little disappointing that they went with that extreme of the Stoopid Girls. There's a lot of great content on youtube and yes things are silly and challenge videos are popular but they're not that vulgar. It was nice to see that actress from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. And youtube conventions tend to be less display cases for weirdos and instead hundreds of fans lined up at signing/meet and greet tables. And sure, some people have more frivolous/personality based channels and have ghost writers but there are also plenty of youtubers whose books are as legitimate as an other comedian's or English major's. Most of them aren't about crazy personas anyway. At least, there is a facade but that is presented as real. People are drawn to channels because of their supposed authenticity. 

Does Liza need to speak faster or something? I feel like she keeps leaving her friends open to criticize Josh for things he isn't even guilty of (the article, period sex, etc.).

I don't love the whole frigid/assertive woman just needs to have sex (of course, usually with a man) but it was nice to see Diana have some fun. If only they could work on that tacky giant jewelry.

Bryce is a dick.

I go to the Met Opera a lot. I have no idea where they were. Though I suppose "a benefit" sort of explains the fanciness if not the venue.

Was she wearing some kind of jumpsuit? Why was her zipper undone? Also, I found it funny that Sutton/Liza towered over Charles' girlfriend. She's very tall already and I imagine she was wearing heels. 

Ah! Lex from Odd Mom Out is going to be Kelsey's new beau? Can he possibly last (and be on two shows at the same time... though granted different times of the year)?

• Love 1

Heather from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend was Taylor (the literary half of the Stoopid Girls). If the Stoopids are demanding $3000 for a social media post, how are their student loans not paid off yet?

We don't know how long they've been popular on youtube or when they started really making money. And I don't think they meant $3000 for any old post but for a sponsored post, which doesn't come along every day.

How has the period sex thing never come up before between Liza and Josh...? They've been together for what has to be many months (a year? I don't know what the time on the show is supposed to be...) at this point, and rarely bother to keep their hands off each other for 15 minutes in a row. That topic would have made more sense if it was a new relationship... 

Maybe she conveniently had her period during all the times they were fighting/on a break?

To give Bryce the tiniest bit of credit, historical fiction is different from the typical youtuber memoir or lifestyle book. Yes, there are people who like historical fiction. But they probably wouldn't overlap with the people who like her youtube content so you don't really get the sales boost they wanted from her fan base. It doesn't mean her book couldn't work but if the goal was exploiting the built in fan base, this novel doesn't seem like the right way to go. It's a little different from the kind of fiction Lauren Conrad puts out which could still appeal to her fans. 

On 10/20/2016 at 9:32 PM, txhorns79 said:

You don't sound like an old lady.  Liza's work outfit was ridiculous, and made no sense for her particular office environment.

I think Josh is okay, but it does feel somewhat like he doesn't quite get Liza, and their relationship is somewhat forced.     

It didn't make sense for any environment. It was ugly and not becoming for any age. 

• Love 2
On 10/22/2016 at 7:20 PM, aradia22 said:

o give Bryce the tiniest bit of credit, historical fiction is different from the typical youtuber memoir or lifestyle book. Yes, there are people who like historical fiction. But they probably wouldn't overlap with the people who like her youtube content so you don't really get the sales boost they wanted from her fan base. It doesn't mean her book couldn't work but if the goal was exploiting the built in fan base, this novel doesn't seem like the right way to go. It's a little different from the kind of fiction Lauren Conrad puts out which could still appeal to her fans. 

I guess it depends on how good it is.  I know my oldest daughter has been talking for months about getting Joey Gracefa's new novel, which I think is some sort of science fiction story.  Of course, Joey already wrote a book about his youtube stuff/life, which apparently did well enough that he got the go ahead for a novel.  Maybe I'll read it after my daughter devours it (she just got it for her birthday).

I don't know why Empirical couldn't publish both books: one based on the YouTube characters and the historical fiction. It's kind of hilarious no one thought of that. And why does Bryce dictate the editorial list? I don't think he's the majority owner, is he?

• Love 1

No, Bryce isn't the majority owner. They made sure to say that. 

My point is that I think we're supposed to see that the historical fiction is the complete opposite of the Stoopid brand. To me, this undercuts my sympathies with Liza because Bryce does have a legitimate point. Yes, they could publish her book but I don't know how her management or her partner would be OK with her risking the authenticity of their brand, and if they published it under a pseudonym or something like that, it wouldn't get the bump from her fan base that was the whole reason why they reached out to her. 

From a show perspective, it also undercuts the parallel they're trying to draw. Obviously Liza is drawn to the idea of this girl being able to be one thing and then turn around and reveal the truth about herself. But Liza already comes across as pretty conservative for a millennial (at least as far as they're portrayed on Younger) so it wouldn't be that much of a radical brand shift. Also, the girl is playing a character and Liza has been outright lying to people for months. 

Let me preface with, I am a Gen-Xer (47) and, 

I despise period sex
I have been known to sport a severe chignon
I totally love most of Diana's necklaces, though I doubt I could pull them off
The shortalls/blouse were awful
Kind of liked the opera dress, but the one Charles' date was wearing was AMAZING!

On 10/23/2016 at 2:39 PM, VartanFan said:

Also, I figured she had maybe a full Spanx on so needed to take the dress off from the top.  

Didn't appear that way, when they got back to Josh's.  ;)

Josh = Meh
The YouTuber SL bugged me to no end, mainly because I have 11 y/o twins, and it seems that their only goal in life is to watch these types of things.  BLECH!!  
Would definitely read Taylor's book, most likely proving the point that it wouldn't fit with Millenial

On 10/22/2016 at 6:04 PM, aradia22 said:

Bryce is a dick.

Spot on!  When he gave that last, "Spectrum" from the elevator, all I could think was, no you are a douche, who uses that excuse for all it's worth.

• Love 1