Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E03: The Yolk's On Them

Drogo
  • Start Topic

Tensions run high in the house as the teams face their next challenge, which is to make eight unique dishes using a selection of ostrich cuts. While the winners get to go to Big Bear for a zip-lining excursion, the losing chefs have to pluck pine nuts out of pinecones.

Ugh, really? Gia who fakes an injury and who clearly has anger issues is passed along and the douche guy who actually says he's quitting and skips a punishment is given a "buck up, camper" speech but the dippy woman who hadn't done anything terribly wrong at all is the quitter because she was caught up in the anger and wanted it to stop.

You are probably better off, kid.

• Love 23

All of the above.  I always wonder if contestants like Gia were planted in the cast to be the designated trouble-makers.  She's awful.

Maybe I didn't understand something but that whole ostrich egg smashing bit confused me and it was a disgusting waste of food.  I thought they had to smash the eggs to find the papers with the ingredients written on them but I can't think how the papers could have been inserted without drilling obvious holes in the shells.  Also, the papers were tinged with yellow as if they had egg yolk on them but they were dry.  And, when the men cleaned up, there was no pool of raw egg on the floor.  

Those two world-renowned meat chefs I'd never heard of supposedly flew in from the east coast to be on TV for under 10 minutes.  That didn't make a lot of sense to me either.  

I'm not sure why I keep expecting this show to make sense.

• Love 8

If you fast forward through the explanation about what happened before the commercial break and the middle of the show with all the drama and anger, this show is only 15 minutes long.  Some girl felt bullied and packed up before elimination but I don't care because they've been giving talking heads to people who don't like her during dinner service.

3 hours ago, mlp said:

it was a disgusting waste of food.

I'm sure the production crew and the interns eat this stuff.  At least I hope they do.  I mean I waste things like berries when I buy them too ripe or pears when I try to get them before the deers do, but if they seriously throw away all this decent food that only needs to be reheated, that's just another reason to dislike this show.  The repetitive explanations because the audience is so stupid is already enough to make me irritated.

I was really hoping the women could go three in a row.  Gia fucked them all up royally and deserved to pay for it.  But as much as it sucked to see her go, Jessica really did give up by packing before elimination.  Ramsay once those who fight, not those who can't handle the pressure.

I was a little confused by the editing of the end of service, though. It seem like the women were doing just fine, and then suddenly, Ramsay throws them out over a few small mistakes to which we weren't privy before until right at the end of service.  Meanwhile, the men screw up left and right, yet are still allowed to finish? I suspect Ramsay just didn't want the men to lose a third service in a row.

Speaking of the men . . . am I alone in only liking (or at least tolerating) Aaron, Devin, and Koop?  I absolutely cannot stand any of the other men.  Matt has anger issues and is a quitter.  Paulie is cocky and arrogant and only barely backs it up.  Andrew is loud, obnoxious, and a total bully, as shown with Jessica at the start of the episode.  And Johnny is an unbearable combination of all three of them.  He acts like he's in total control of the men's team and can get them to nominate whomever he wants, just like he wanted to do to Matt.  If one of the men win, I hope it's any of the three I can tolerate. Not one of the other four.

On the plus side, the zip lining looked cool. I'd have loved that reward.

Edited by Michel
9 hours ago, mlp said:

Those two world-renowned meat chefs I'd never heard of supposedly flew in from the east coast to be on TV for under 10 minutes.  That didn't make a lot of sense to me either.  

I'm reasonably certain they've been Ramsay's "exotic meats experts" on HK at least once before, I recall because they weren't popular.

2 hours ago, mertensia said:

Was it Matt who laughed about deliberately making messes for the wait staff to clean up? Jerk.

No, I'm pretty sure that was Koop, the one who told us he's got two kids while riding around on the jetski.  Matt is the one who should gladly and happily have gone home based upon general moronicity but Ramsay is inexplicably desperate to keep (not smart enough to understand the expert chefs' commentary about how the composition of his plate had no unifying harmony or theme - yeah, he'll be great in a final two with menu planning).  

• Love 2

I'm sure the production crew and the interns eat this stuff. 

I'm sure that's true on many shows that involve cooking where food is made in quantity and is fit to eat.  The ostrich eggs though weren't being cracked into containers or anything.  The "chefs" were just smashing them against those podium-like stands.  It looked like the contents were going to waste although I didn't see liquid egg on the floor when the men were cleaning so who knows what really happened?

• Love 1

The ostrich eggs were clearly not real eggs filled with real egg white and yolk and here's how you know. There's no way that was "cleaned up" off a carpeted floor without a carpet cleaning machine. Also they smashed the eggs all over, and then went to cook for 40 minutes so they were letting egg yolk dry into the carpet. That much real egg ground into the carpet? They would have had to have thrown the carpet out.

• Love 3

Gia was beyond worthless, but at least she showed fight in front of Gordon. Jessica had given up. And somebody needs to remind the gloating winners that sooner or later they'll be counting on at least some people from the losing team. Why make enemies when you don't have to?

• Love 2
On 10/8/2016 at 4:29 AM, mertensia said:

Was it Matt who laughed about deliberately making messes for the wait staff to clean up? Jerk.

Steak on top of spaghetti? Is that really a thing?

Koop went straight to the bottom of the list with his comment about liking nothing better than making a mess front of house and having the "service bitches" clean it up.  Anthony Bourdain, self-admitted bad-boy, always defends the labor of waitstaff and kitchen helpers, and demands they be treated with respect (remember his smackdown of Justin Bieber after the peeing in the janitor bucket stunt?)

Anyway, with that one remark Koop became my most detested competitor.  I exclaimed to Mr. pig "Oh, no - he did NOT say that!"

That said, I guess Gia is our Jackie (3 months out of cooking school) of the ashtray dumping incident for this season.  We're stuck with her for awhile.

• Love 6

I don't get having the losing team do a punishment if a douche decides they aren't going to do.  They should have to do the punishment or hand in their jacket.  Neither Matt nor Gia have anything to offer to this show that really warrants them to stay cooking wise.  But they offer drama and that's really what this show is now and has been for a while.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Crucial said:

I don't get having the losing team do a punishment if a douche decides they aren't going to do.  They should have to do the punishment or hand in their jacket.  Neither Matt nor Gia have anything to offer to this show that really warrants them to stay cooking wise.  But they offer drama and that's really what this show is now and has been for a while.

I don't like Matt at all, but at least he did eventually do the punishment.  He just needed a cooldown period before he did.  Gia, on the other hand, has no excuse for not doing hers last week.

7 hours ago, spiderpig said:

That said, I guess Gia is our Jackie (3 months out of cooking school) of the ashtray dumping incident for this season.  We're stuck with her for awhile.

Then who's our Frank of the aggressive, bullying, sexist douchebag?  My vote goes to any of Johnny, Paulie, or Andrew right now.

I finally figured out why the show is bugging me so much this season, when essentially it hasn't really changed at all.  Watching this episode, I realised that this is the TV show equivalent of Donald Trump.  It's stupid and disgusting, yet you can't ignore it.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Michel said:

Then who's our Frank of the aggressive, bullying, sexist douchebag?  My vote goes to any of Johnny, Paulie, or Andrew right now.

I'm going to go for Andrew for the nastiness with Jessica or Koop for the "service bitches" comment.  Gross.

• Love 2

Since there are apparently no repercussions for skipping a punishment, I'd love to see a whole team refuse to do one en masse. Much like I'd like to see the final 5 of Masterchef refuse one of the stupid "twist"s, like last season's infamous "now, everyone switch ingredients!" challenge. I can't wait to see a show where the contestants band together and revolt against contrived stupidity.

Edited by Charlesman
  • Love 1
On 10/9/2016 at 8:39 AM, spiderpig said:

Koop went straight to the bottom of the list with his comment about liking nothing better than making a mess front of house and having the "service bitches" clean it up.  Anthony Bourdain, self-admitted bad-boy, always defends the labor of waitstaff and kitchen helpers, and demands they be treated with respect (remember his smackdown of Justin Bieber after the peeing in the janitor bucket stunt?)

Anyway, with that one remark Koop became my most detested competitor.  I exclaimed to Mr. pig "Oh, no - he did NOT say that!"

yeah, Ramsay won't like it either, as myriads of viewers who've seen Kitchen Nightmares, or countless of Gordon's other shows could attest.  He is a great favorite with waitstaff, making them his co-conspirators in business owners' inadequacies, and never holds them responsible for front of house's business decisions.  The waitstaff recognize and eat this type of treatment up and bend over backwards to help him; so boneheaded move there, Koop.

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 0:08 AM, mlp said:

The two world renowned meat chefs REALLY ARE world renowned meat chef's.  They own a famous and International Award winning restaurant Joe Beef in Montreal Canada.  They are famous for serving exotic meats like moose, venison, elk ... It would be an honor to have them critique a dish.  They didn't really say much bad about Matt's dish so he should have shut up and taken it! 

• Love 5

Thanks for the information.  I haven't been to Montreal for many years and I hadn't heard of them or Joe Beef.  Even so, I find it hard to believe they'd fly all the way to California for a very brief spot on Hell's Kitchen.  My guess is that they were there anyway and coordinated the appearance with whatever else they were doing there.

• Love 2

That episode was a waste of an hour. 

So let me understand this.... Matt refuses to participate in a punishment, has failed multiple times over the past two weeks, says he is going home, packs his bags, and gets the "Go Get 'Em, Tiger" pep talk from Chef Ramsay. As soon as that segment was done, I told my wife the men were going to win, and Matt would do well. They could not have telegraphed it any clearer. Not to mention, he shows his extreme stupidity by going on a reality TV cooking show where you are judged 2x every week, and has the balls to whine that he was actually neing judged by the Beef guys. Did he even watch previous seasons?  Does he have any idea what a competition entails? 

Yet Jessica messes up a single dish, packs her bags, and gets the "Hit the bricks, Loser" talk from Chef Ramsay. Of course Jessica is pretty much a bland contestant, especially compared to Gia and Matt, so she had to go.

The Joe Beef guys seemd familiar, I also think they were on a previous season as judges. The one guy looked like he definitely puts away a lot of beef. He was huge. 

It was so obvious the guys were scripted to win this week, even though anyone watching the service could see they performed just as poorly this episode as in previous weeks. 

• Love 6

I would love it if the rule once posited...somewhere (TWoP perhaps)...that as soon as a reality show competitor says "I quit" a helicopter flies in and they are whisked away immediately.  No takebacks, no pep talks, your ass is gone.

Matt is not going to win this show so I don't know why I have to remain subjected to his whining.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, mojoween said:

Matt is not going to win this show so I don't know why I have to remain subjected to his whining.

Thank you! Or as we used to say on TWoP: "THIS."

Matt clearly doesn't know what the definition of competition means. Waa, waa, waaa...

Though I rolled my eyes at Gordon's pep talk, a small part of me liked that scene, because I got to see a little bit of the real Gordon, who I know (welll, based on what I've seen in interviews/his UK shows, the live videos on FB, etc.) isn't the raging asshole he plays on this show.

Someone tell me again why I'm watching?

• Love 1