Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Coming From America

I always love seeing how the child actors on this show, Black-ish and The Goldbergs have grown up over the summer break. Emery is almost as tall as Eddie, whose voice has dipped a few octaves.

Going back to your hometown and finding it isn't the same rang so true to life. Immigrant or not, who hasn't tried to go back to your hometown, only to find you're a fish out of water or haven't done as well as you'd hoped when you went away?

The customs slip was hysterical. "My [insert relative's name] wronged me." Hysterical.

• Love 13

Eddie's rant about Kinko's, Emery being a AAA member, the Aunt quoting Oda Mae Brown, and all things Jessica were all great.  

Did they actually film at least part of this in Taiwan? 

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Eddie's rant about Kinko's, Emery being a AAA member, the Aunt quoting Oda Mae Brown, and all things Jessica were all great.  

Did they actually film at least part of this in Taiwan? 

Yep they went to Taiwan for the entire episode.

• Love 4

Yep.

Really enjoyed the episode.  Evan's little tourist flag that said "Mommy" on it was adorable, and I loved his, "I am an American citizen.  Please take me to my embassy."

Poignant ruminations on being an immigrant and feeling between two worlds.  Louis and Jessica both had a really nice plot coming at the issue in different ways, culminating in their Ghost epiphany.  I liked Jessica's comment about how relaxing it was to be surrounded by Asian people and Louis's point that Asians are the "white people" of Taiwan.

Eddie's Kinkos rant was fabulous.

• Love 4

It's always the little moments of this show that I love, and this week it was Big Uncle waving hello while lying on the couch. Every family I know has the one relative who, if he or she is at home, is lying down and who won't get up even for guests. In my family, it was my great-uncle, who was a farmer and felt like he stood up enough when he was outside.

I was cringing at the Ghost engagement video, but then: "Margaret, you in danger girl," and I died laughing.

• Love 6

This was maybe the funniest episode I've seen.

My favorite part was Jessica bargaining for the sneakers then ending up with shoes that fell apart. I love Jessica's confidence, but I also love that she doesn't always win.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, EarlGreyTea said:

The customs slip was hysterical. "My [insert relative's name] wronged me." Hysterical.

I loved the final one on the slip: "Learn who wronged me" I'd gladly watch an episode where Jessica's on a quest through Taiwan to discover this.

"There's always a second location!" And now we all know what to do when we go to the night market...

And there was a shout-out to one of my favorite movies, The Truth About Cats and Dogs!

Loved the end where Alison was of course totally cool about the non-faxing - she was upset about Shaq. Hahahahaha.

• Love 10

That was hilarious, and also very interesting, mixing the immigrant experience with lots of humor. Love you show! I missed you. 

Jessica at the night market reminds me of the fist time I bought knock off stuff on the stands in NYC. Now that was an experience...

I could not stop laughing about the custom forms. 

• Love 3

Yeah, the last choice was "Identify who has wronged me." That was hilarious.

The Ghost obsession was odd, but I find that sometimes people latch on to strange movies. Apparently "Baby's Day Out" is really popular in South Asia. More than one country has actually done their own remake of it and apparently the movie is more popular than Star Wars (in terms of American films) in India.

My family and I went back to our native country (S. Korea) for the first time after 10 years of living in the US. It was an eye opener. And it felt weird being in the middle: not quite a tourist, not quite a native. Even my parents were seen as "foreigners" because we were used to our American ways (didn't help that us kids were obvious Americans too). I know that we got a "tourist" tax when we went to outdoor markets to "bargain."

Edited by Unraveled
  • Love 6

The fiance looked like an Asian...Lauren Graham?  That long face and small nose had be double-taking wondering which dark haired, fair skinned American actress she so strikingly resembled.

"We're the white people of here!" hilarious!

And, yes, the customs form was a "win", soo funny!

Great first episode and it's really cool they actually filmed abroad.

I thought the brother (Gene) was gay in the show?! Or that was hinted at? I must be losing my mind.

"Ghost" being popular there at that time (is it 1996 in the show?) was funny because American movies/trends usually reach other countries much later, especially pre-common Internet days.

Edited by lallalla
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, lallalla said:

"We're the white people of here!" hilarious!

I died! And I didn't notice it until I read it somewhere but except for Eddie's girlfriend right at the very end and the clip from Ghost, there were no white people anywhere in this episode. I feel like that doesn't happen ever in Western media so good for the show and the network for letting that be how this played out.

• Love 13
13 minutes ago, TeapotWakeen said:

Came here to see if there had been any discussion about the teacher slapping Evan on the face at the school? I'm not sure how I feel about that part of the show.... (but it was a great episode!)

It wasn't Evan. I put it in the quote thread. It was a kid and Evan demanded to be taken to the American Embassy upon seeing it and hearing it was because he wasn't emotive enough. Considering how Eddie Huang feels about the show andthe portrayal of  his parents

• Love 1

oh, that's right, Raja! Thanks, I was mis-remembering. The "embassy" line was funny! I don't know if I was more shocked that the child was "slapped" on the face (as opposed to whacked on the hand, or pulled by the ear) or if it just felt like it would never have happened (or did it? a slap on the face is just very different than a paddling or American corporal punishments I'm more used to).  I don't know why it bothered me so much, but it put a bad taste in my mouth for an episode that had so many fun moments otherwise.

• Love 1
On 10/13/2016 at 9:23 AM, Unraveled said:

The Ghost obsession was odd, but I find that sometimes people latch on to strange movies.

I was actually in Taiwan in the summer of '91, and "Ghost" was EVERYWHERE. They couldn't get enough of it, my cousin played it during a talent show. 

Granted, I doubt it was that popular in '95, but it made me laugh. 

Also funny? "The soup will cool you off." and Eddie's "WTF?" look. I'm pretty sure I've had the exact same exchange with my mom.

• Love 3

I was/am so stoked they filmed in Taipei.  And it seemed like they found/used a lot of local talent.  Of course it was kind of funny how the random transition shots were like just so really random shots of various areas of Taiwan.

• Love 1
On 10/21/2016 at 6:09 PM, HawaiiTVGuy said:

I was/am so stoked they filmed in Taipei.  And it seemed like they found/used a lot of local talent.  Of course it was kind of funny how the random transition shots were like just so really random shots of various areas of Taiwan.

It's always fun when you know shooting locations. Dihua Street! Grand Hotel! Songshan!

Last year I spent time in Taipei and that is definitely what the city looks like. Even Big Auntie's apartment interior was dead on. When they rolled up to the Grand Hotel I half expected it to be an establishing exterior shot with fake soundstage interior.... nope, they filmed inside at the real thing. 

Were some of the transitions random? Everything looked Taipei-y to me, although I may not have been paying close attention. And it's not like I know the city that well.

This says they found the only lowrider with hydraulics on the island for the fantasy scene at the Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial:

http://www.vulture.com/2016/09/fresh-off-the-boat-taiwan-c-v-r.html

• Love 2