Type keyword(s) to search

Sex And The City - General Discussion

Message added by Black Knight,

The HBO sequel series, And Just Like That, has its own forum here.

• Start Topic

What do you guys think about Carrie's relationship with the Comic Book guy?  She stayed with him for SEVERAL DATES after she found out he lives with his parents.  I guess I should be happy she wasn't judgemental.  

• Love 5
(edited)
3 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

What do you guys think about Carrie's relationship with the Comic Book guy?  She stayed with him for SEVERAL DATES after she found out he lives with his parents.  I guess I should be happy she wasn't judgemental.  

His parents were rich. Their apartment had a beautiful view of Central Park and mom waited on Carrie hand and foot.

Also, Carrie was like a super model in that store (back then comic book people were always portrayed as somewhat geeky losers).

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, qtpye said:

His parents were rich. Their apartment had a beautiful view of Central Park and mom waited on Carrie hand and foot.

Also, Carrie was like a super model in that store (back then comic book people were always portrayed as somewhat geeky losers).

I was really surprised she wasn’t judgmental about it though. It seemed like she enjoyed the fun. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm really falling for Carrie's apartment this time around.  She has so much space for books.  I like how imperfect it is.  She has so many useless furniture pieces, and hardly anything up on the walls.  She has a decent sized kitchen for someone who doesn't cook.

It was very nice and that style is called "efficiency" yes? It was a large studio with a big closet, bathroom and separate kitchen, but no separate bedroom/living area (with a wall and a door).

5 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Multi-generational living is common in many cultures, so on its own its not odd but I am not a fan of the entire "living with the parents" thing (your parents living with you is a different story) because in many scenerios in mainstream North American culture its a sign of something else. This wasnt a guy who moved across country and was looking for a place and staying with his parents temporarily. This was not a guy who's home was being remodeled. This was not a guy who was recovering for a serious medical issue or was in-between jobs and needed some assistance that his parents were able to provide.

It was exactly what it looked like, a guy that didn't want to grow up and wanted to stay a perpetual adolescent with all of the freedom of adulthood, but the responsibilities of a teenager. Multi-generational living can be fine, but there is a difference between a "contributing adult member of the household" and "dependent member of the household".

Given Carrie could be a bit immature herself I could see it not bothering her that much, he was just for fun she wasn't trying to build anything with him. 

• Love 3
(edited)
8 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

I was really surprised she wasn’t judgmental about it though. It seemed like she enjoyed the fun. 

It is surprising, because Wade's Mom was really super in his business.  She called Carrie's house when he was there and she threatened kicking him out if he was caught with weed.  Was he 17?  No way because the actor looked about 30, right?  

3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

It was very nice and that style is called "efficiency" yes? It was a large studio with a big closet, bathroom and separate kitchen, but no separate bedroom/living area (with a wall and a door).

I thought Carrie had both a living room and a bedroom.  Maybe I just assumed.  

3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

It was exactly what it looked like, a guy that didn't want to grow up and wanted to stay a perpetual adolescent with all of the freedom of adulthood, but the responsibilities of a teenager. Multi-generational living can be fine, but there is a difference between a "contributing adult member of the household" and "dependent member of the household".

Given Carrie could be a bit immature herself I could see it not bothering her that much, he was just for fun she wasn't trying to build anything with him. 

Yes.  He supposedly owned that store -- or did he?  Did his parents?!  Weird situation.  They'd certainly have enough money that he could live on his own but he deliberately didn't want to because his mother fed him.  Weird.  Just like SJP's movie with Matthew McConaughey "Failure to Launch".

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
49 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It is surprising, because Wade's Mom was really super in his business.  She called Carrie's house when he was there and she threatened kicking him out if he was caught with weed.  Was he 17?  No way because the actor looked about 30, right?  

He was a grown ass man. But I 100% support his parents throwing him out if he had drugs in their house they didn't approve of. If you want to live like an adolescent, then you have rules like an adolescent. 

50 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yes.  He supposedly owned that store -- or did he?  Did his parents?!  Weird situation.  They'd certainly have enough money that he could live on his own but he deliberately didn't want to because his mother fed him.  Weird.  Just like SJP's movie with Matthew McConaughey "Failure to Launch".

Yeah his money was in the comic book store, and he lived with his parents rent, room and board free.

• Love 6
On 7/2/2021 at 12:09 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Here are some renditions of Carrie's apartment. I guess I should be more open-minded to studios, if they're going to look like this!

carrie_bradshaw_apartment_from_sex_and_the_city_by_nikneuk_d5c9qoy-fullview.jpeg

Sex-and-the-city-floor-plan-3D-Floor-Plan-800x600.png

4d1b178435ea1f058084b15bce6663a7.jpeg

Yeah Carrie didnt have a bedroom door. I wouldnt be against studios before the pandemic. My cousin lived in a studio in 2000-ish (not as big as Carrie's though) and she had a very fancy dressing screen for privacy to hide her bed/dressing area if people came over etc. It was great. 

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yeah Carrie didnt have a bedroom door. I wouldnt be against studios before the pandemic. My cousin lived in a studio in 2000 ash (not as big as Carrie's though) and she had a very fancy dressing screen for privacy to hide her bed/dressing area if people came over etc. It was great. 

When I was apartment hunting I once saw a beautiful studio that had floor to ceiling windows and a pretty good size closet.  But damn, nowhere near as nice of a kitchen as Carrie's.  I'm sure it was just a kitchen alongside a back wall.  

• Love 5

Wasn’t her apartment also rent controlled? She really got an amazing deal. This was apparent when she thought she might have to move and realized what she could really afford in what was then the current market.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Wasn’t her apartment also rent controlled? She really got an amazing deal. This was apparent when she thought she might have to move and realized what she could really afford in what was then the current market.

I did just see the subplot about Sam moving.

A guy coming to meet Sam at her night in her "high class", snooty high rise accidentally let in a burglar who hit an old lady.  So everyone ostracized Sam.  Sam moved to the Meat Packing District for a sexy loft, but I remember Carrie telling her not to leave because her apartment was rent controlled.

No you can't move! You have a rent-control apartment on the Upper East Side.
Honey, this isn't rent control, this is life control.

Found this through Google:

Again, here comes the realism police, but one of the most implausible things about Sex and the City - more than Carrie dumping Aidan - was that Carrie lived in a rent controlled apartment that cost $750 a month. 

• Useful 4

Lord have mercy, the movie is on.😪

I'm remembering now, they changed Carrie's personality and made her sound like some cow from hell even BEFORE the nuptials.

"Did anyone call him?

Well, give me a phone! Somebody give me a phone!

Alright, I don't know how to work this.

Are you ok? ( only line  said in possibly appropriate  tone)

Because I don't know where my phone is!

Get me out of here! Get me out of here!"

I can't watch this trash to the point where they're spoon feeding Carrie.

Or 49 year old Samantha blows off the only man who has mattered significantly in her life.

I'm watching the pilot of the Fox series Filthy Rich  that Kim Catrell did that aired  in 2020 instead. It's.... different

• Love 5

I'm watching season six. My favorite scenes of Harry and Charlotte are mixed in with Carrie and Burger, which I hate. Charlotte saying "do you know what people are saying when they see us together?" and Harry saying "yes, but I didn't think you were one of them."

• Love 1

Charlotte saying "do you know what people are saying when they see us together?"

Yeah, he's probably rich and you're his trophy wife Char, so try not to be too hard on Harry.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Yeah, he's probably rich and you're his trophy wife Char, so try not to be too hard on Harry.

She regrets saying it.. She was such a princess though.

• Love 7
(edited)

I loved Harry and Charlotte. I also loved a Steve and Miranda. To me they’re the real examples of true love and marriage. Not being swept off your feet by some eligible bachelor but a steady, mutual friendship that develops into love over time. In my younger years I was all about the Carrie/Big fantasy but as I’ve gotten older I appreciate and relate more to the Harry and Steve relationships. Life isn’t all stomach flips and dramatic make ups and break ups. 

It’s why I just try to ignore the show past the series finale. Movies and Just like that  destroy everything about the show.

Edited by Avabelle
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, nokat said:

I'm watching season six. My favorite scenes of Harry and Charlotte are mixed in with Carrie and Burger, which I hate. Charlotte saying "do you know what people are saying when they see us together?" and Harry saying "yes, but I didn't think you were one of them."

Charlotte is probably my favorite because I find her sweetest, but I hated that scene. She was so mean to Harry.  

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Avabelle said:

I loved Harry and Charlotte.

When Harry says "not good enough" and then proposes, I melt. Trey was her dream husband, and we saw how that worked out.

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, nokat said:

When Harry says "not good enough" and then proposes, I melt. Trey was her dream husband, and we saw how that worked out.

It was pretty realistic that Charlotte realized how awful she was, but because wasn’t an awful person, she humbled herself and confessed to Harry that she wanted him back and he didn’t ever have to marry her. 

I think that’s the difference between making a mistake and just being an awful person. You are willing to humble yourself and make amends. That was a beautiful ring he chose for her it really was. 

Yes I included the video. 

• Love 8
14 hours ago, nokat said:

That was a good scene. I’m so sick of tropes where conventionally pretty person hooks up with an “unattractive” person and their friends/family feel obligated to comment on it like the conventionally attractive person can do better. And that pretty person NEVER seems to stand up for them. So for Harry to take a stand and tell Charlotte off for that was refreshing.

• Love 6
(edited)
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

That was a good scene. I’m so sick of tropes where conventionally pretty person hooks up with an “unattractive” person and their friends/family feel obligated to comment on it like the conventionally attractive person can do better. And that pretty person NEVER seems to stand up for them. So for Harry to take a stand and tell Charlotte off for that was refreshing.

I also hate that trope.

Also, the conventionally pretty person in a heterosexual relationship in movies or tv always tends to be female because writers think women should be ornamental.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 9
(edited)
6 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

You actually mentioning this trope reminds me of the Monica/Chandler relationship on Friends.

I hated that they always made it seem that Chandler was so lucky to have Monica because she was so hot:

• Looks are not everything
  • Chandler was good looking
  • Who talks this way about their friends?

Of course, Chandler was the one with commitment issues so....

Edited by qtpye
  • Like 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, qtpye said:

You actually mentioning this trope reminds me of the Monica/Chandler relationship on Friends.

I hated that they always made it seem that Chandler was so lucky to have Monica because she was so hot.

I didn't realize they did that! I've only seen a bit of Friends. The men aren't my type, but I agree that Chandler is a good-looking man. I remember they did that on The OC too. Seth was supposed to be so lucky to be with Summer, but Adam Brody is extremely cute. 

• Love 5

Anyone have a Least Favorite Season?? Mine has ALWAYS been Season 3 (HATED IT when the show was airing and still hate it to this day). It has SEVERAL of my most despised episodes (“Boy Girl, Boy Girl...which showcases Carrie’s revolting views of non-heterosexuality; the episode with Sam and Chivon for many reasons (One of them NOT being Chivon and Sam’s chemistry); the revolting audacity of Carrie to pretend to be the victim during the whole affair with Big; etc). A lot of fans love that Season, I personally DESPISE it 

• Love 5

Anyone have a Least Favorite Season?

Season 5.

If I had to rank the seasons, it would be as follows:

Season 2

Season 1 / Season 3

Season 4

Season 6

Season 5

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Season 5.

If I had to rank the seasons, it would be as follows:

Season 2

Season 1 / Season 3

Season 4

Season 6

Season 5

Season 5 was bad. I know SJP was pregnant and they started late/had a short season but the writing was not as good. 

I would agree with all of your rankings. 

12 hours ago, BlueMoon81 said:

Anyone have a Least Favorite Season?? Mine has ALWAYS been Season 3 (HATED IT when the show was airing and still hate it to this day). It has SEVERAL of my most despised episodes (“Boy Girl, Boy Girl...which showcases Carrie’s revolting views of non-heterosexuality; the episode with Sam and Chivon for many reasons (One of them NOT being Chivon and Sam’s chemistry); the revolting audacity of Carrie to pretend to be the victim during the whole affair with Big; etc). A lot of fans love that Season, I personally DESPISE it 

Yeah I understand. I think Season 3 was when the show had its most “hype”. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I think I'm

Meaning I have trouble deciding between 6, 1, and 4.  I think I'll be able to decide when this recent rewatch is done.  2 for sure is my favourite but all seasons have their moments of greatness and 5 is obviously the worst.

3 was such a raging disappointment to me on first watch, but I can appreciate it more now.  It's also a lot more fun than I remember - I am loving the trip to LA with Sarah Michelle Gellar, Matthew McConaughey, and Vince Vaughn.  I don't MIND the affair storyline per se, because I think it's realistic.  It's more that the style of the show went completely sideways to its detriment.  

6 is like the fantasy of the show.  Real, crushing life and fantasy all wrapped into one.  It's more extreme yet I think also more "real" than any of the other seasons (i.e. Charlotte's miscarriage, Samantha's cancer, Carrie and Miranda fighting, possibly Berger?, Harry) but also the beautiful fantasy (Petrovsky, Paris, Robert, Smith, Pat Field embracing the designer labels like Oscar de la Renta instead of being subtle about it, etc).  I like how prolific 6 is - we get two parts, we get a two part season/series finale, etc.  It has the most episodes.  It's like a thank you to the fans, especially after 5.  (In 5, they could have just had Carrie on a hiatus and gave us more episodes.  But maybe SJP wouldn't agree to that!)

1 is obviously the most subtle, which is a good thing too.  The mood of it is what brought people to the show, it was so unique and minimalist and now there's so much nostalgia for that time period in New York.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
13 hours ago, BlueMoon81 said:

A lot of fans love that Season, I personally DESPISE it 

I think a lot of fans would agree with you that Carrie was an asshole in Season 3.  There's also the urinator storyline, the funky spunk storyline, a lot of things that were just very cringe-y.  Just very soundbitey and not timeless.  Also this is the season that Patricia Field went crazy.  She kind of cleaned up her act for Season 4.  Carrie is also an asshole in Season 4 (Ring a ding ding) but then again she probably has her moments in every season.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
(edited)
20 hours ago, qtpye said:

I hated that they always made it seem that Chandler was so lucky to have Monica because she was so hot:

I've met men that were so hot and then they started talking. I'll take a Harry any day.

Edited by nokat
  • LOL 3
  • Love 8
On 7/3/2021 at 3:30 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Speaking of tropes, a woman takes off her glasses and lets down her hair, and she's suddenly beautiful.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

I don't think I have favorite or least favorite seasons. I have favorite and least favorite storylines.

When I rewatch shows either on DVD or streaming there is almost always episodes I skip because I know I don't particularly care for them. But with SATC  I never skip an episode. There is always something enjoyable in each episode.   That being said I can do without anything regarding Skipper.  And if I'm being  honest I could do without Stanford.  I don't like him.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

And if I'm being  honest I could do without Stanford.  I don't like him.  

This time around I've been feeling the same way about Stanford.  With the negative way that Willie Garson talks about Kim Cattrall in the press I am just really unimpressed with him.  Sometimes I wonder if Stanford is a result of bad acting, or bad writing, or both.  There's definitely bad writing for him, though.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

With the negative way that Willie Garson talks about Kim Cattrall in the press I am just really unimpressed with him. 

I admit that does factor into my dislike of the character and the actor.  I have seen Willie Garson in other things and he never made an impression on me other than oh it's Stanford.  

I do like Anthony and his portrayer Mario Cantone.  I know some people find Mario loud but that doesn't bother me and Anthony was actually much more low key than Mario.

• Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

I do like Anthony and his portrayer Mario Cantone.  I know some people find Mario loud but that doesn't bother me and Anthony was actually much more low key than Mario.

Oh I loooooooooove Anthony.

So far in my rewatch his first episode still seems like his best one, and a classic.

The way he says about the wedding dresses, "None of these are it.  None of them - AT ALL." is such a useful funny phrase and I use it all the time.  Also - "HATES IT!"  He is iconic!  "Good beadwork though." 

Charlotte and Anthony have wonderful chemistry.  Their friendship is so much more..... sparkly, fun, and believable compared to Carrie and Stanford.  They're such different people, but the way they tolerate each other is really adorable.  Kristin's reactions to Mario are so cute... the way she breathes "Anthony......" when she sees her dream dress, and they clutch each other!  Match made in heaven.

"I’ll give you a hundred dollars if you say something bitchy about someone we know."

- Anthony

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Charlotte and Anthony have wonderful chemistry.  Their friendship is so much more..... sparkly, fun, and believable compared to Carrie and Stanford.  They're such different people, but the way they tolerate each other is really adorable.

My favorite lines of Anthony is when he said this to Charlotte when she told him her and Trey were getting divorced.

"He may be the heart surgeon. But you're the heart of this whole operation. Honestly, you're the best catch ever. Look what you did to this place. You could take any guy off the street, fix him up and make him into something wonderful. Not for nothing. But you deserve more than that stick-up-his-ass preppy. That's all I’m saying. Now get in here and have breakfast."

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

My favorite lines of Anthony is when he said this to Charlotte when she told him her and Trey were getting divorced.

"He may be the heart surgeon. But you're the heart of this whole operation. Honestly, you're the best catch ever. Look what you did to this place. You could take any guy off the street, fix him up and make him into something wonderful. Not for nothing. But you deserve more than that stick-up-his-ass preppy. That's all I’m saying. Now get in here and have breakfast."

That's so sweet, aww!

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Charlotte and Anthony have wonderful chemistry.  Their friendship is so much more..... sparkly, fun, and believable compared to Carrie and Stanford. 

And then the movie that shall not be named, Anthony and Stanford end up together. No.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, nokat said:

And then the movie that shall not be named, Anthony and Stanford end up together. No.

Yeah I didn't like that.  They did not like each other during the series so the writers of the movie thought we have two gay men characters so let's just hook them up.  

They are both in the new show so I guess we will get to see if they are still together.

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, ifionlyknew said:

Yeah I didn't like that.  They did not like each other during the series so the writers of the movie thought we have two gay men characters so let's just hook them up.  

They are both in the new show so I guess we will get to see if they are still together.

Yeah it feels a little insulting.  Anthony always hated Stanford from minute 1.  But I think Stanford was very friendly to him. There are more than 2 gay men in New York.  Eye-rolling!  They could each have their own relationship, or Anthony could be single and having fun and that could still give us good storylines.

Also, if they wanted a lavish gay movie at the beginning of the second movie, fine, but Anthony or Stanford could have married anyone.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 9

I too loved Anthony and Charlotte’s friendship. Stanford was practically an accessory to Carrie, but Anthony frequently spoke his mind and never sugarcoated things to Charlotte. And yes, they had so much more fun together. I loved it when he was worried that he and Charlotte would drift apart when she had kids, and she assured him that would never happen.

• Love 7
(edited)

It's also really nice that Sam "found" Anthony for Charlotte.  Charlotte was driving all the women crazy with her bridal magazines and post-its and Sam just wanted to talk about sex or whatever so she says Charlotte can hire a wedding planner, which Charlotte didn't even know (now that is hard to believe).  Then Sam says she'll place a call.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Anthony always hated Stanford from minute 1. 

Seriously though, being friends with Carrie and almost trying to marry her. Stanfords grandmother though, "you realize he's gay dear.' :D

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
(edited)

"Frenemies" is a bad episode for Carrie.

Miranda's date drops dead at 35 with a heart attack, and the other women are appropriately horrified, except for Carrie , who just keeps making heartless cracks about it.  I think I'm at the age now where this is no longer amusing, especially because I know how realistic the storyline is.

Also she's teaching dating at the Learning Annex.  She mocks all the women who paid to see her talk, and then she shows up with absolutely nothing for them.  Just a 3 minute introduction about how there are millions of men in NYC. God she really looks like an idiot here.

Ok, the episode kind of takes a turn here.  Carrie gets less bad.  It just goes to show you how hard it is for single women.  Miranda picks up a totally different guy at her original date's wake.  😐

Here's one of my favourite Carrie lines "Okay girls, simmer down. Mommy hasn't had her caffeine yet."  .......... "Oh hey, frittatas!"  I wonder if Carrie's own mom actually used that line on her growing up.

Sam:  Hey Mrs. Softie at least I'm getting laid!

LOLL oh my god.... Miranda and Carrie were like 😶😯😦

Sam:  Am I right?
Carrie:  Not getting involved....... 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
20 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Miranda picks up a totally different guy at her original date's wake.  😐

Yeah but he was an asshole.

20 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Also she's teaching dating at the Learning Annex.  She mocks all the women who paid to see her talk, and then she shows up with absolutely nothing for them.  Just a 3 minute introduction about how there are millions of men in NYC. God she really looks like an idiot here.

Of course Carrie wouldn't have prepared to teach a class. She always wanted to do as little as possible when it came to her job (s).  Remember she was doing research for a column and said research entailed having lunch with Charlotte at an outdoor bistro watching men walk by.  

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
Just now, ifionlyknew said:

Of course Carrie wouldn't have prepared to teach a class. She always wanted to do as little as possible when it came to her job (s).  Remember she was doing research for a column and said research entailed having lunch with Charlotte at an outdoor bistro watching men walk by.  

She lived the dream life.  This show is to blame for so many women who think they can live a fantasy life in NYC.  I totally include myself in that thinking.  Maybe some women can!

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

She lived the dream life.  This show is to blame for so many women who think they can live a fantasy life in NYC.  I totally include myself in that thinking.  Maybe some women can!

I never wanted the fantasy. Well maybe the shoes.  But I was so envious of the friendships.  Big was right when he told Samantha, Charlotte and Miranda that they were Carrie's true loves.

• Love 6
(edited)

The music that the show plays when Charlotte lusts after the super young gardener is HILARIOUS.

Carrie gets robbed and she does plead with the robber saying that her Manolos were half off at a sample sale.

I kind of appreciate that Carrie could get lost in NYC after 15 years of living there because it once happened to me in my city too.

It's interesting to see things happening this episode that could be solved by having data on your phone

- Carrie not knowing where she was, she could use Google Maps
- Samantha could look up Sam Jones's address on the internet to see that it's a dorm before arriving at the party

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3