Type keyword(s) to search

Sex And The City - General Discussion

Message added by Black Knight,

The HBO sequel series, And Just Like That, has its own forum here.

• Start Topic

(edited)

Watching the finale of Season 1.

Probably when I was a kid I was just charmed by all of this as "hijinks" but watching things now as a "real" adult is very different.  Also, I'm so private now.  Carrie insisting she go to church with Big and his mother is weeeeeeeeeeeeeeird.   

In other ways, Big is quite sweet with her.  He keeps in mind that she writes on Sundays so he doesn't feel the need to explain he goes to church with his mom.  He invites her to the Caribbean.  Meanwhile Carrie is just pouting that she didn't get to go to church with Big and his mother.

Oh god.  Now she's stalking them there.   Oh god..  Oh god........  Miranda really should have set her straight.  But then again Miranda didn't show boundaries in S1 either.

That said, I do love the ending and I understand Carrie ending it when she did.  Her timeline is different than Big's.  She couldn't hang on if he didn't feel like she did and that's her prerogative.  

Here's the song that plays over it:

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Watching the finale of Season 1.

Probably when I was a kid I was just charmed by all of this as "hijinks" but watching things now as a "real" adult is very different.  Also, I'm so private now.  Carrie insisting she go to church with Big and his mother is weeeeeeeeeeeeeeird.   

In other ways, Big is quite sweet with her.  He keeps in mind that she writes on Sundays so he doesn't feel the need to explain he goes to church with his mom.  He invites her to the Caribbean.  Meanwhile Carrie is just pouting that she didn't get to go to church with Big and his mother.

Oh god.  Now she's stalking them there.   Oh god..  Oh god........  Miranda really should have set her straight.  But then again Miranda didn't show boundaries in S1 either.

That said, I do love the ending and I understand Carrie ending it when she did.  Her timeline is different than Big's.  She couldn't hang on if he didn't feel like she did and that's her prerogative.  

Here's the song that plays over it:

Carrie was wrong to show up to the church when she wasn’t invited and impose on Big & his Mom’s outing. 

Big was going to take her on this really nice trip, personally I would’ve waited until after the trip was over before asking to be told “I’m the one.”  They hadn’t been dating very long right? A few months? I don’t think the real issue was that Big couldn’t tell her she was the one, I think it was that she was always giving more to the relationship emotionally than he was. To Carrie, Big was “it”- for Big, Carrie was nice to spend time with if it was convenient. 

But yes, they were both too old to be that silly, and Miranda should’ve stopped Carrie from doing that- she was the “sensible one”, but I feel the Season 1 personality traits of the women were all over the place. 

• Love 6
40 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

They hadn’t been dating very long right? A few months?

Yeah, he hadn't told his mother about her and she said "We've been dating for months!"

I have no idea how many.

• Love 2

Charlotte said they’d been dating a year in the season two premiere when she was justifying why Carrie would need six months to grieve the relationship. I never felt it seemed like a year unless the year included the months when they were just flirting before they started dating.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Avabelle said:

Charlotte said they’d been dating a year in the season two premiere when she was justifying why Carrie would need six months to grieve the relationship. I never felt it seemed like a year unless the year included the months when they were just flirting before they started dating.

It never felt like a year to me either. If that was the case they should have shown that they were together a year. It felt more like a few months which made Carrie wanting him to say she was the one seem weird because it felt like she was rushing the relationship.

• Love 6
(edited)

Using "our time" as the calendar (1998)

• 101, June 6:  The day that Big and Carrie simply saw each other for the first time on the street

• 104, June 28:  The weird get together where Big invited his sad divorced friend and Carrie left them alone to hook up with Timothy Olyphant.

• 106, July 12:  Formal Date 1, "The Naked Dress".

• 107, July 19:  Big agrees to be "Monogamous" (or he does so in his winking, is he really serious? way) at the end of episode 107.

• 112, August 23:  Carrie makes the comment that they've "been dating for months".  And, they formally break up at the end of the episode.  

So either way on the show it was only like a month.  LOL!   If you want to count from the day they met, 3 months.  If you want to count from the sad get together, 2 months.  

Oh god, Miranda is one of those people that screams at the baseball players from the upper deck.  LOL!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4
44 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Using "our time" as the calendar (1998)

• 101, June 6:  The day that Big and Carrie simply saw each other for the first time on the street

• 104, June 28:  The weird get together where Big invited his sad divorced friend and Carrie left them alone to hook up with Timothy Olyphant.

• 106, July 12:  Formal Date 1, "The Naked Dress".

• 107, July 19:  Big agrees to be "Monogamous" (or he does so in his winking, is he really serious? way) at the end of episode 107.

• 112, August 23:  Carrie makes the comment that they've "been dating for months".  And, they formally break up at the end of the episode.  

So either way on the show it was only like a month.  LOL!   If you want to count from the day they met, 3 months.  If you want to count from the sad get together, 2 months.  

Oh god, Miranda is one of those people that screams at the baseball players from the upper deck.  LOL!

I assumed they had been dating about 3-4 months. I know the show was in an "eternal spring/summer" until after Brady was born, so its hard to get a sense of how long things were, but even knowing what we now know about Big, I do not think was unreasonable for him not to be able to tell Carrie she was "the one" after a few months of dating. Maybe Carrie should've thought about seeing how well they got along on the trip before she was concerned about being "the one".

• Love 6

Carrie would have fit in great on The Bachelor as one of those deluded contestants who doesn't realize the Bachelor is just there to bang as many hot women as he can and then leverage his show fame into banging more hot women after the show's over, and thinks it is totally plausible they are gonna fall in love, get engaged and actually get married based on a few limited interactions in a brief period of time.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Carrie would have fit in great on The Bachelor as one of those deluded contestants who doesn't realize the Bachelor is just there to bang as many hot women as he can and then leverage his show fame into banging more hot women after the show's over, and thinks it is totally plausible they are gonna fall in love, get engaged and actually get married based on a few limited interactions in a brief period of time.

LMAO! I've always thought this about Charlotte, but you're right it applies to Carrie too.

Charlotte would be all "My husband is here! I know it's only been weeks, but this is love. He's dumping me?! I was going to marry him! I've been dating since I was 16, ugh!!!"

Miranda wouldn't even watch the show but would surely see The Bachelor for what it is if she were to be a contestant. "Really, you think you're falling for me? You don't know me, and you just had your tongue down 25 other women's throats."

Samantha would just have fun, probably make it far, but bounce as soon as she thought someone was catching feelings for her. She'd have the most fun in Paradise. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

Samantha would absolutely be kept until after the fantasy suites, though if she didn't like the bachelor she'd be one of those contestants willing to just say so and leave early. But yes, BiP would be the best fit for her.

And now I'm imagining Charlotte crying in the limo after coming in second. LOL

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Samantha would absolutely be kept until after the fantasy suites, though if she didn't like the bachelor she'd be one of those contestants willing to just say so and leave early. But yes, BiP would be the best fit for her.

And now I'm imagining Charlotte crying in the limo after coming in second. LOL

OMG this is hilarious! I could imagine this. I didnt watch The Bachelor, but I understand the premise. 

I could also see Charlotte being the "house favorite" among the girls for being kind and agreeable, and the other girls being glad to see her stay.

• Love 9
11 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Miranda wouldn't even watch the show but would surely see The Bachelor for what it is if she were to be a contestant. "Really, you think you're falling for me? You don't know me, and you just had your tongue down 25 other women's throats."

This is why I think Miranda is the right character in the new show to do online dating.  She would see right through men's bullshit and call them out on it.

I couldn't see Carrie on the Bachelor.  I could see Charlotte on the Bachelorette.  Samantha could be the star of her own reality show.  

If Samantha was part of the new show I would  have loved to have seen her write a tell all.  She could have done it anonymously and the book would have been a best seller.

• Love 5

If you guys want a good laugh, rewatch "The Chicken Dance" from Season 2.  I forgot how funny this episode was.

• Samantha being bewildered that she's "slept with every guy in New York"
  • Miranda being bitter that her houseguest Jeremy eloped with her interior decorator 
  • Charlotte demanding that everyone look at HER this wedding (and the other womens' reactions to her)

So damn funny.

• Love 5
(edited)

Bringing up an old good point that someone brought up here about Season 2.

La douleur exquise, the "Buster" storyline:

Charlotte actually says the words that she "can't afford" a $400 pair of shoes.  That's weird.  Why would she not be able to afford them?

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Bringing up an old good point that someone brought up here about Season 2.

La douleur exquise, the "Buster" storyline:

Charlotte actually says the words that she "can't afford" a $400 pair of shoes.  That's weird.  Why would she not be able to afford them?

Charlotte was more practical than Carrie. Maybe she's the type who says she can't afford something when really she means she doesn't think it's a responsible purchase? I know Charlotte came from money, but I don't know if she had unlimited amounts. Did we ever find out what her family did? She was also a museum docent herself. Her salary couldn't have been much. A lot of the time even people who have millions try to watch their spending if they either don't work or don't make tons of money. Unless the wealth is extraordinary, rich folks can go broke spending like Carrie Bradshaw. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

You're right!

Ugh, in the next episode, I absolutely hate the storyline they give Miranda - thinking that her neighbour across the street is staring at her.  It's just so mean and embarrassing to the character!

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Didn't Charlotte say she was saving up for a share of a place in the Hamptons for the summer?

26 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

She was also a museum docent herself

At the time of that episode she was managing an art gallery IIRC.

• Useful 4

Damn, I'm really enjoying rewatching Season 2.

The end to both "La Douleur Exquise" and "Games People Play" are just devastating.  The scene at the end of LDE is directed very artfully and Big is so passionate.

Here's the song:

Here's what Wikipedia says:

Character information[edit]

Charlotte York is the daughter of Dr. Stephen Foster York[1] and Sandra Whitehead "Muffin" York.[1] She is an art dealer with a Connecticut blue-blooded upbringing. Charlotte graduated from Smith College with a Bachelor of Arts in Art History and a minor in Finance; 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Damn, I'm really enjoying rewatching Season 2.

The end to both "La Douleur Exquise" and "Games People Play" are just devastating.  The scene at the end of LDE is directed very artfully and Big is so passionate.

Here's the song:

Here's what Wikipedia says:

Art dealer?  I'm not so sure about that.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm not sure what the words for it are but she did curate some shows, right?  Like the guy who does the vagina paintings, and the show when the Power Lesbians showed up.  

I can see that they're deliberately vague about titles, though:

Episode 206:

Alice told me so many nice things about you.  How long have you been doing the art thing?
Charlotte:  Ten years. No, 12 years. I'm losing track.  AImost five years at this gallery. What do you do?

There's also this, from the pilot:

charlotte-york-in-the-pilot-episode.jpg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

You know, I was thinking about this show the other day and wondering which one of the ladies was the best actress.

I have to give it to Kristin Davis.

From everything I have read about her, she is almost the opposite of Charlotte in that marriage was never a priority in her life. She has adopted some children and has a lovely family on her own.

She did a great job with marriage-obsessed Charlotte.

I also was thinking about how Charlotte would have done with dating apps if they had existed when the show started.

I think it can be argued that Charlotte was probably the most conventionally attractive of the group (they all were attractive in their way). 

I know most of my guy friends thought she was by far the cutest at the time.

I would imagine that Charlotte would have so many options that she would be going out on a couple of dates each weekend until she found the "perfect one" that checked all her boxes.

Then she would wonder why that guy was ghosting her because he would be talking to 9 other women on four different apps as well.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm not sure what the words for it are but she did curate some shows, right?  Like the guy who does the vagina paintings, and the show when the Power Lesbians showed up.  

I can see that they're deliberately vague about titles, though:

There's also this, from the pilot:

charlotte-york-in-the-pilot-episode.jpg

Yeah I always thought she was a gallery manager. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, qtpye said:

You know, I was thinking about this show the other day and wondering which one of the ladies was the best actress.

I have to give it to Kristin Davis.

From everything I have read about her, she is almost the opposite of Charlotte in that marriage was never a priority in her life. She has adopted some children and has a lovely family on her own.

She did a great job with marriage-obsessed Charlotte.

I also was thinking about how Charlotte would have done with dating apps if they had existed when the show started.

I think it can be argued that Charlotte was probably the most conventionally attractive of the group (they all were attractive in their way). 

I know most of my guy friends thought she was by far the cutest at the time.

I would imagine that Charlotte would have so many options that she would be going out on a couple of dates each weekend until she found the "perfect one" that checked all her boxes.

Then she would wonder why that guy was ghosting her because he would be talking to 9 other women on four different apps as well.

I think the only actresses that made me cry were SJP and Cynthia, but I think they were all amazing actresses. You brought up a good point about how Kristin is so different in real life and nails the Charlotte character. IRL, Kristin is sweet and has Charlotte's softness, but definitely not the must get married type. I find Kristin Davis much more relatable than any of the characters or the other women. 

I agree all characters were attractive in their own way. Among the men I know, it's generally between Charlotte and Samantha. Kristin is younger and Charlotte was more cute and feminine, but I think Samantha was probably prettier. She looks like a model imo. I know guys who had crushes on her in the 80s. I've seen younger pictures of her, and she was a smokeshow. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Yes! I meant to mention Grace too. 

Between Kristin's doll-like beauty and the darling fashion, Charlotte is definitely one of my all-time favorites when it comes to aesthetics. While Kim can look like a modern Grace Kelly, Charlotte was kind of like a modern Audrey Hepburn or Jackie O, Patricia Field's inspirations for Charlotte. 

79b0385cfc79dd407fb16f0d58b6de52.jpg

let_us_now_praise_charlotte_york_goldenb

sex-and-the-city-satc-sarah-jessica-park

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 8

Kim is beautiful. I never understood a lot of the styling they did for her. If anything a lot of it took away from her natural beauty. 
I watched I love a Charade last night, I’m still after Charlotte’s necklace in that episode! 

• Love 6

13 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Grace Kelly ish!

Kim is stunningly beautiful.  She does look like she could have been a movie star from that era.

Kristin is more like the girl next door pretty.  She is more approachable.

• Love 4

I never found Kristin to be girl next door or approachable!  I find her beauty to be really alarming actually (before all the work she's had done.)  I find her stunning.  I think I would be stuttering if I met her just like Buster.

• Love 6
(edited)
5 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

Kim is stunningly beautiful.  She does look like she could have been a movie star from that era.

Kristin is more like the girl next door pretty.  She is more approachable.

Agree that Kim would have fit in great in that era. Kim's so age defying and still a beauty during SATC and now, but wow @ her when she was younger. She looked like a model. Perfect face structure, the full lips, even a Cindy Crawford beauty mark, SO pretty. 

51DiY0W1OoL._AC_.jpg

5 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I never found Kristin to be girl next door or approachable!  I find her beauty to be really alarming actually (before all the work she's had done.)  I find her stunning.  I think I would be stuttering if I met her just like Buster.

Don't get me wrong. Kristin's one of my favorite beauties. I think she's so cute, and most women would be thrilled to have her face, figure, her hair. But I get what @ifionlyknew means. Kristin reminds me of pretty girls I know in real life. Some people find that more attractive though. It's like the classic Angelina vs Aniston debate. I think Angelina is clearly prettier, but lots of people prefer Jennifer Aniston. I'm often attracted to men who are approachable handsome, not movie star handsome.

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 5
(edited)

Right I understand the analogy but I actually think Kristin is an "Angelina" type beauty rather than a Jennifer Aniston type beauty.  That's just how my eyes see her.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 3
3 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Right I understand the analogy but I actually think Kristin is an "Angelina" type beauty rather than a Jennifer Aniston type beauty.  That's just how my eyes see her.  

I hear ya. I definitely think Kristin is beautiful. I love her big eyes, and she just looks so sweet.

• Love 2

Both Kim and Kristen are gorgeous women, then and now. (I keep telling myself once those fillers fade Kristen will look normal again)

But I do think by North American white standards of beauty, Kim is more "unique" /"beautiful" looking in her youth- her cheek bones, face shape, blonde hair, doll like facial proportions and a more straight, leaner body type. 

While Kristen is/was "pretty", straighter nose, dark brown hair and eyes, pear shaped figure and an oval face.

As far as the Jennifer/Angelina comparison- in my opinion Jennifer Anniston has a very nice fit body (like A+ for that type of athletic toned look), but facially she was never anything to write home about, just a regular woman with money. If you saw her walking down the street, her looks wouldnt cause you to pause, except again how fit she is at her age. Angelina was attractive in a "god given" way. I would say Kim is an Angelina and Kristen is a Courtney Cox (who I always thought was prettier than Jennifer, but a "every day walking down the street" pretty).

• Love 5
(edited)

Oh god you guys...........

Carrie finally has a BREAKTHROUGH in "Games people play" when she realizes after sleeping with Bon Jovi that she picks the wrong men.

What happens 3 episodes later?  She's walking down the street and someone TOSSES A CIGARETTE AT HER AND IT BURNS HER ARM.  She STARTS DATING THIS GUY!

Was that not enough of a red flag for you???

What did Sam say?  

It's slim pickings out there. You can't swing a Fendi purse without knocking over five losers.

Carrie, you let a man fling a lit cigarette at your body and that was how he found you as a date...... Girllllllllllllll.........

She also continues to pursue him after he ignores her.  She finds him on the street and accosts him.  LOL.

He tells her he's an alcoholic and he's still in the 11th month of the program.  He's obviously hesitant to get involved.  She pushes and pushes until they finally have sex.

I wonder what Dr. Greenfield would say about all of this!  LOL!  And Carrie had the nerve to be offended with her assessment.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

Carrie was constantly having breakthroughs and epiphanies. They problem was they lasted for a shorter length of time than an average Samantha booty call.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
(edited)

Carrie is UNBEARABLE this episode.  The alcoholic completely falls off the wagon after 11 MONTHS OF RECOVERY because Carrie kept pestering him until he would finally date and then sleep with her.  He gets completely naked on her street, drunk, saying that it's all her fault that he's drinking again (which is about 90% true.)

Carrie's last thoughts:  "Am I really that good in bed?"

What a fucking selfish egomaniac.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

God Samantha looks like a million bucks in the Hamptons episode when Charlotte gets crabs!

Not a great picture, but DAMN!!!

Carrie's better this episode.  She's extremely nice to the young writer who wants to be mentored by her.  And she tries to date a doctor who's "good on paper".  I find him so unattractive though.

I was going to bitch about the bad storylines they've given to Miranda during this run, but at least she got to be a really good friend to Carrie at the end of this episode.... 

4e14be0b7b27011b01aba863aaedae8e.png

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

God Samantha looks like a million bucks in the Hamptons episode when Charlotte gets crabs!

Not a great picture, but DAMN!!!

Carrie's better this episode.  She's extremely nice to the young writer who wants to be mentored by her.  And she tries to date a doctor who's "good on paper".  I find him so unattractive though.

I was going to bitch about the bad storylines they've given to Miranda during this run, but at least she got to be a really good friend to Carrie at the end of this episode.... 

4e14be0b7b27011b01aba863aaedae8e.png

Isn’t Sam really gorgeous in this ep? She glowed!

I had S1 and S2 playing for background noise and kept looking up from time to time. The background shots really get me. I miss THAT New York. So many of those places, restaurants, stores no longer exist. I had almost forgotten how prominent the towers were in so many background scenes. 

• Love 7
(edited)
7 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

Isn’t Sam really gorgeous in this ep? She glowed!

I had S1 and S2 playing for background noise and kept looking up from time to time. The background shots really get me. I miss THAT New York. So many of those places, restaurants, stores no longer exist. I had almost forgotten how prominent the towers were in so many background scenes. 

You're speaking my exact thoughts.  I looooooooove S2.  The entire aesthetic of it.  The fashion.  I just LIVE for it.  I think my second favourite season is S6.  Maybe S4.  I'll judge after this rewatch.  I love some things about S1 but something about S2 has always hit me exactly right. 

I do not like the fashion of S3, the direction Patricia Field takes, LOL.  And I don't even like some of the storylines!  But we'll see how I feel this time.  But ugh, Carrie's hair and those huge hoop earrings she wears everywhere, bleh.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
(edited)

I don't know if other people have HBO but my version here in Canada started airing the episodes in order a few weeks ago so I've been kind of liveposting it since.  I'm about halfway through S2.  A rewatch sounds like a good idea and I apologize that I'm already ahead.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
(edited)
22 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

So we do a rewatch sometime in prep for “And Just Like That”?

I did a rewatch a couple of months ago on HBOMax. Lots of storyline I'd forgotten that were cut in the sanitized syndicated episodes. There are some parts of the show that don't hold up well.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

I did a rewatch a couple of months ago on HBOMax. Lots of storyline if forgotten that were cut in the sanitized syndicated episodes. There are some parts of the show that don't hold up well.

I have the dvds but haven’t watched in years. Maybe when I’m done with One Tree Hill AND Dawson’s Creek (those have taken forever) I’ll start on SATC. 

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I have the dvds but haven’t watched in years. Maybe when I’m done with One Tree Hill AND Dawson’s Creek (those have taken forever) I’ll start on SATC. 

I don't think I could manage One Tree Hill a second time. 😂

• LOL 2