Type keyword(s) to search

Sex And The City - General Discussion

Message added by Black Knight,

The HBO sequel series, And Just Like That, has its own forum here.

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Or invited the ex that I cheated on the guy with to come up to the cabin!

2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

😁😁😁  Yes, perhaps that was another faux pas????

2 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Carrie really is the worst.

Carrie's continued friendship with Big, and the "type" of friendship- should've been a BIG RED FLAG to Aiden that Carrie was never serious about him or putting him first. 

Carrie cheated on Aidan with Big (multiple times), Aiden made the choice to forgive her (okay fine), but then Carrie continues to keep Big in her life in an intimate way (emotionally intimate). These two are not co-parents (of course a legit reason to have him around), or in the same friend group where they may see each other at mutual events/etc and have each other's cell number. Carrie was lying to Aidan about going to have dinner with Big, and although Big lived on the other side of the country, she invited him to Aidan's cabin. If the genders had been reversed, it would've looked way worse. 

I do believe that ex's can be friends (if there are not lingering feelings or a betrayal involved), but there are different types of "friends" and Carrie had a history of cheating on Aidan WITH Big while Big was married to someone else. Come on now. I would not have stood for that, Aidan should've had more self esteem. Carrie is a grown woman, so no, Aidan cannot tell her whom to speak to, but if she really cared about AIDAN, his feelings and their relationship, Big would've been an "holiday card" friend at BEST.

• Love 8
40 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Carrie's continued friendship with Big, and the "type" of friendship- should've been a BIG RED FLAG to Aiden that Carrie was never serious about him or putting him first. 

Carrie cheated on Aidan with Big (multiple times), Aiden made the choice to forgive her (okay fine), but then Carrie continues to keep Big in her life in an intimate way (emotionally intimate). These two are not co-parents (of course a legit reason to have him around), or in the same friend group where they may see each other at mutual events/etc and have each other's cell number. Carrie was lying to Aidan about going to have dinner with Big, and although Big lived on the other side of the country, she invited him to Aidan's cabin. If the genders had been reversed, it would've looked way worse. 

I do believe that ex's can be friends (if there are not lingering feelings or a betrayal involved), but there are different types of "friends" and Carrie had a history of cheating on Aidan WITH Big while Big was married to someone else. Come on now. I would not have stood for that, Aidan should've had more self esteem. Carrie is a grown woman, so no, Aidan cannot tell her whom to speak to, but if she really cared about AIDAN, his feelings and their relationship, Big would've been an "holiday card" friend at BEST.

I totally agree. There is difference between an ex that you are friends and the person that you cheated with. Can you imagine if Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky (who I have heard has grown up to be kind of awesome) were still very good friends and were seen everywhere together? We would be talking about how disrespectful that would be to Hillary.

5 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Much as I’m an Aidan fan, I’m not a country, outdoorsy type. Wish I were, but I’m just not. Maybe this is why Carrie always favored Big. They could be bougie together! 

6 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

It's true.  Aidan got married and had a kid not long after him and Carrie broke up.  So from my perspective he didn't want to marry Carrie. He just wanted to get married.  

This is one thing I have in common with Carrie.  I am not the outdoorsy type at all.  Aidan's cabin in the woods would be like roughing it for me.

5 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm not outdoorsy either, but I could deal with the cabin for a weekend or whatever to make the guy happy.  It looked fine to me.  I wouldn't be shrieking and I wouldn't make that place the first place I try to make pie or whatever, LOL.  And I wouldn't have brought a friend.

I am not an outdoorsy person in any sense. I do not understand the joy of camping or being in nature just to be in nature ( I get bored after some time). However, I have hiked the trail that led to the tallest water fall in the Southeast and I paint nature landscapes.

Carrie acted like she did not understand what nature was and that she would spontaneously combust if she stepped a foot outside of the city, namely Manhattan. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

Also, Carrie and Big were never friends in the first place.  They honestly do not have much in common.  I can be friends with SOME exes because I had a real friendship with them first, and the relationships were not destructive.  Meanwhile, Carrie and Big were the complete opposite of that.

54 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I am not an outdoorsy person in any sense. I do not understand the joy of camping or being in nature just to be in nature ( I get bored after some time). However, I have hiked the trail that led to the tallest water fall in the Southeast and I paint nature landscapes.

Carrie acted like she did not understand what nature was and that she would spontaneously combust if she stepped a foot outside of the city, namely Manhattan. 

Yeah.  It's not like it was CAMPING, which okay, I would have been a total princess about.  It's a cabin, which is a totally different thing.

It's fun to learn new things in a relationship and to have your horizons broadened a little bit.  Carrie was a brat when Big tried to invite her to fancy parties (that early seasons party with the no brown drinks, LOL and Jeremiah the Bullfrog), so it's no surprise she'd be a brat at the cabin too.  It would have been okay for Carrie to learn from Aidan and vice versa, but honestly, Aidan did not really do what Carrie wanted to do either (clubbing/KFC episode).  Although, I guess he did go to a fancy restaurant once or twice.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Also, Carrie and Big were never friends in the first place.  They honestly do not have much in common.  I can be friends with SOME exes because I had a real friendship with them first, and the relationships were not destructive.  Meanwhile, Carrie and Big were the complete opposite of that.

This is true- they were attracted to each other, but they had nothing in common and Carrie was constantly in emotional turmoil over him. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Scarlett45 said:

This is true- they were attracted to each other, but they had nothing in common and Carrie was constantly in emotional turmoil over him. 

And they proved they could not be faithful to their respective partners also!  Just no basis for a friendship there.

• Love 8

That is the one episode every SATC fan agrees on. Carrie was already a cheater and very disrespectful in general to insist the man she cheated with will forever be in her life, but she had some dinosaur balls to invite Big to the cabin. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

And Carrie only wanted to be friends with Big when it suited her.  When she was getting ready to go to Paris with Alek she wanted nothing to do with him anymore.   She had went to San Francisco and hooked up with him. At that point they could have been called FWB.  Then he comes to NYC for the heart procedure and he had nice moments with Carrie then reverted back to his normal self. Carrie was hurt by that.  She wanted Big to be whatever she wanted him to be at any given time.  

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yeah.  It's not like it was CAMPING, which okay, I would have been a total princess about.  It's a cabin, which is a totally different thing.

It's fun to learn new things in a relationship and to have your boundaries pushed a little bit.  Carrie was a brat when Big tried to invite her to fancy parties (that early seasons party with the no brown drinks, LOL and Jeremiah the Bullfrog), so it's no surprise she'd be a brat at the cabin too.  It would have been okay for Carrie to learn from Aidan and vice versa, but honestly, Aidan did not really do what Carrie wanted to do either (clubbing/KFC episode).  Although, I guess he did go to a fancy restaurant once or twice.  

I feel that even though some of us on this board do not enjoy being out in nature, we could tough it out for a very short period of time and like you said, Aiden's cabin was much nicer than pitching a tent.

Carrie's dislike and cluelessness about everything nature related felt like it had a tiny streak of elitism about it. It almost felt like she wrinkled her nose at it because only "poor people" like this kind of stuff and rich people would be in 5 star hotels.

With the amount of billionaires and millionaires buying thousands of acres to live in rural Wyoming....we realize this is not always true.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Yeah Aidan’s cabin wasn’t a luxury mansion but if the structure you’re staying in has indoor plumbing, electricity, and a kitchen with an oven to bake pies in, you’re not exactly roughing it.

• Love 6
(edited)
36 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Carrie's dislike and cluelessness about everything nature related felt like it had a tiny streak of elitism about it. It almost felt like she wrinkled her nose at it because only "poor people" like this kind of stuff and rich people would be in 5 star hotels.

Agree.  It's one thing to be a little nervous or afraid of something new.  It's different to whine and pout and scream and do all sorts of things to sabotage it.  If you love a man you can try and love all of him, as long as what he does isn't damaging, and owning a freakin' weekend cabin ain't damaging.  Aidan apparently owned a lot of real estate and his own business, so actually he's the one with money in this situation.

40 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

That is the one episode every SATC fan agrees on. Carrie was already a cheater and very disrespectful in general to insist the man she cheated with will forever be in her life, but she had some dinosaur balls to invite Big to the cabin. 

Dinosaur balls 😄😄

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, qtpye said:

With the amount of billionaires and millionaires buying thousands of acres to live in rural Wyoming....we realize this is not always true.

Those people are living in luxury in Wyoming.   They aren't living in a place like Aiden's cabin. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Those people are living in luxury in Wyoming.   They aren't living in a place like Aiden's cabin. 

True, but if it became chic to go rural than Carrie would be more open to it. I am sure if Big bought a luxury estate in Jackson Hole, WY than she would not mind "roughing it".

There is nothing wrong with this but it shows, again, how unsuited they were to each other even without Carrie's dramatics.

• LOL 3
20 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Yeah Aidan’s cabin wasn’t a luxury mansion but if the structure you’re staying in has indoor plumbing, electricity, and a kitchen with an oven to bake pies in, you’re not exactly roughing it.

20 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Agree.  It's one thing to be a little nervous or afraid of something new.  It's different to whine and pout and scream and do all sorts of things to sabotage it.  If you love a man you can try and love all of him, as long as what he does isn't damaging, and owning a freakin' weekend cabin ain't damaging.  Aidan apparently owned a lot of real estate and his own business, so actually he's the one with money in this situation.

Dinosaur balls 😄😄

@RealHousewife YES "Dinosaur Balls"!!

I am a city gal through and through as well, but a home with indoor plumbing, electricity and a stocked kitchen for a weekend isnt that big of a deal. I would take the time to read books and have sex, if my hunky boyfriend wanted to hang out there (not every weekend mind you, but once a month or so!) Carrie thought she was so sophisticated and Aiden was so lucky to have her (even after her cheating), not realizing that Aiden was the better catch between the two of them. He had a stable business, savings, property, knew how to take care of his dog (a good sign to me), was actually a NICE kind person. Carrie didnt have to "love" the country, but I dont think Aiden was asking her to spend every single weekend there. Also she is a writer, she could write ANYWHERE, it wasnt as if she had this stressful job with long hours and he wanted all of her leisure time at the cabin. 

• Love 8
24 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Carrie thought she was so sophisticated and Aiden was so lucky to have her (even after her cheating), not realizing that Aiden was the better catch between the two of them.

Carrie might have thought of herself as sophisticated but I didn't.  I think she was least the sophisticated out of the four women.  Aiden could have done a lot better than Carrie.  I never really believed she wanted to have a serious relationship the second time.  I think she wanted his forgiveness.  She hated people not liking her. But I don't think she wanted a happily ever after. Or even a happily ever after till she got tired of it.  As we previously mentioned above Aiden was a relationship kind of guy.  Once Carrie started seeing him again she had to know it was going to lead to him wanting some sort of commitment.  I'm not an Aiden fan but I did feel sorry for him when she broke his heart a second time. Even though it was for the best. Especially for him.  

• Love 6
6 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

Carrie might have thought of herself as sophisticated but I didn't.  I think she was least the sophisticated out of the four women.  Aiden could have done a lot better than Carrie.  I never really believed she wanted to have a serious relationship the second time.  I think she wanted his forgiveness.  She hated people not liking her. But I don't think she wanted a happily ever after. Or even a happily ever after till she got tired of it.  As we previously mentioned above Aiden was a relationship kind of guy.  Once Carrie started seeing him again she had to know it was going to lead to him wanting some sort of commitment.  I'm not an Aiden fan but I did feel sorry for him when she broke his heart a second time. Even though it was for the best. Especially for him.  

I agree with everything you said. Carrie was the least sophisticated of the women, and she just wanted Aidan back the second time because she was lonely and wanted forgiveness. It would be one thing if she realized how much she messed up with Aidan and wanted him back because she loved him and saw a future with him, but I think she used him. I felt sorry for Aidan too. He was a decent sort who was very transparent on his intentions towards Carrie.

The continuity of the later seasons is messed up*, because Brady is born in Season 4, but doesn't turn one until the middle of Season 6, I know Season 5 was shorter (filming wise) because of SJP's pregnancy but it's a little off. 

*before Brady is born, its always Spring/Summer time in NYC during the episodes

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

The continuity of the later seasons is messed up*, because Brady is born in Season 4, but doesn't turn one until the middle of Season 6, I know Season 5 was shorter (filming wise) because of SJP's pregnancy but it's a little off. 

Yes. Brady was a baby for what felt like forever. He was born February 2002 and his first birthday was September 2003.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

Once Carrie started seeing him again she had to know it was going to lead to him wanting some sort of commitment.  I'm not an Aiden fan but I did feel sorry for him when she broke his heart a second time. Even though it was for the best. Especially for him.  

I would defend her a bit, in only saying that he never really got over the first break up, but seemed to think he could will Carrie into being something she was not. 

• Love 2

During the episode when Carrie walks in Fashion Week, she tells the girls about at lunch because at first she wasn't sure if she wanted to do it. Samantha and Charlotte encourage her to do it while Miranda makes faces and shoves salad in her face. Charlotte then says she was a teen model when the Ralph Lauren store opened in Connecticut and Miranda responds that she almost threw up. Jeez Miranda. I usually don't mind her, yes she was judgmental but I thought that was just plain rude.

Also, the start of season 4 is really when Carrie's wardrobe takes it up a notch. Season 1 and 2 were fairly normal, she had some interesting ones in season 3 but season 4 starts with the cape, the fingerless gloves, the long socks with heels. The model episode starts off with her waering some weird corset/bra thing and a bunch of pearl necklaces. Oof.

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, MaggieG said:

During the episode when Carrie walks in Fashion Week, she tells the girls about at lunch because at first she wasn't sure if she wanted to do it. Samantha and Charlotte encourage her to do it while Miranda makes faces and shoves salad in her face. Charlotte then says she was a teen model when the Ralph Lauren store opened in Connecticut and Miranda responds that she almost threw up. Jeez Miranda. I usually don't mind her, yes she was judgmental but I thought that was just plain rude.

Also, the start of season 4 is really when Carrie's wardrobe takes it up a notch. Season 1 and 2 were fairly normal, she had some interesting ones in season 3 but season 4 starts with the cape, the fingerless gloves, the long socks with heels. The model episode starts off with her waering some weird corset/bra thing and a bunch of pearl necklaces. Oof.

Miranda also made that comment “you, model?” 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, MaggieG said:

I didn’t get that at all. What’s wrong with a charity fashion show?? And what’s wrong with Ralph Lauren? 

2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I guess that stuff was supposed to stem from Miranda's supposed insecurity but yeah it's pretty damn rude!

Yup that’s probably it. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I only modelled one of my prom dresses after it!  Same bias cut and style, but in gold instead.  

How dare they say that about a Galliano for Dior.  LOL.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Hiyo said:

I'm surprised this monstrosity didn't make the list. Then again, maybe it's so hideous it should be forgotten...

origin.jpg

I have blocked that from my memory.  It’s like a rejected Sargent Pepper uniform.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Hiyo said:

I'm surprised this monstrosity didn't make the list. Then again, maybe it's so hideous it should be forgotten...

origin.jpg

That could’ve been cute as just a short jacket, with black Capri pants or black skinny satin pants. 

but no. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

I've seen each episode multiple times and I have no memory of that outfit. That photo looks like it was taken while she was filming a scene.  Maybe that scene was cut from an episode?

There were pretty lavish photoshoots to promote Season 5.  

911rqk0hnVL._RI_.jpg

99f33e21efcdaf04fed4cb836ea98df3.jpeg 976aa70ec7426c59f7252ecd2218326d.jpeg

unnamed.jpeg 220px-Sex_and_the_City_season_5.jpeg

SATC-promo-1024x667.jpeg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

This Black dress that SJP is wearing with the brown fur coat was made famous by Kate Moss (in my mind anyways).

Says:  January 30, 2003 Where: At the Manolo Blahnik Exhibition at London Design Museum. What: Dress by Lanvin. 

However, Season 5 came out in 2002 so I'm not sure who was first.  I'm not sure if those red balloon promos were for Season 5 or 6.

7ccad80b9184531535c9cdc87f48ea5d.jpeg

fad912ef23c0555063fc01931acb7e5a.jpeg

39abd0d9ccca5daea76715505624831d.jpeg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

Here's the commercial but it doesn't really help.... 

Okay this makes sense, this video says it's a Season 6 promo.

SJP has much longer hair than she did in Season 5 (if its hers and not a wig).

And I just can't imagine Kate Moss taking a cue from Sex and the City.  I just can't!  It had to be the other way around! 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Here's the commercial but it doesn't really help.... 

Okay this makes sense, this video says it's a Season 6 promo.

SJP has much longer hair than she did in Season 5 (if its hers and not a wig).

And I just can't imagine Kate Moss taking a cue from Sex and the City.  I just can't!  It had to be the other way around! 

Chris Noth almost looks boyishly cute when he is bowled over by Carrie's sexy Candy Striper outfit and that is something I never think about Chris Noth.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

So all those pics to promote season 5 only featured SJP? Sounds about right. I think the audience saw the show as an ensemble while HBO continued to see it as SJP's show.

LOL good observation!

I never understood what this insane photoshoot was all about!  

At least the red balloon commercial involved all of them!  She's getting "Carried away" by the balloons, get it?  😁

• Love 2

You made me curious, so I tried to Google the commercial for Season 5 to find where all those photos came from. But I don't see any such thing on Youtube.

I found this information about the Red Balloon 6 Season promo:

Sex & The City promo for the 6th season. Directed by Ellen Von Unwerth.  (Famous fashion photographer)

Music in this video

Song - It's Oh So Quiet

Artist - Betty Hutton

Writers - Erich Meder, Hans Lang, Bert Reisfeld

I really learned something.  I had no idea that "It's Oh So Quiet" by Bjork was actually a cover of an original song!  I'm shocked.  The Bjork version was a huge song growing up.  I like Bjork a lot, but I never liked that particular song by her.  It makes more sense coming from this Betty Hutton singer.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

I am admittedly not a Carrie Bradshaw fan and if I'm being honest not really a SJP fan.  Those season 6 promos look like a glamour shoot.  For someone who had never heard of the show they would think it was a Vogue layout.  Did they get paid to showcase those clothes?  I don't remember any of them being on the show. 

When I watched the show yes I admired the clothes but I watched for the characters.  I think the people in charge forgot that in the last season.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 4/11/2021 at 7:26 AM, ifionlyknew said:

So all those pics to promote season 5 only featured SJP? Sounds about right. I think the audience saw the show as an ensemble while HBO continued to see it as SJP's show.

With the premiere of each season, I was disappointed that the theme music was still accompanied by Carrie's walk down the street in her tutu, rather than a smart intro featuring the four co-stars.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, Jillybean said:

With the premiere of each season, I was disappointed that the theme music was still accompanied by Carrie's walk down the street in her tutu, rather than a smart intro featuring the four co-stars.

I loved the part in the promo when all three ladies joined her with Charlotte swinging her purse in such a saucy way.

• Love 2