Type keyword(s) to search

Sex And The City - General Discussion

Message added by Black Knight,

The HBO sequel series, And Just Like That, has its own forum here.

• Start Topic

As much as I loved Carrie's passion for fashion and Samantha's sex appeal, I was probably most inspired by Charlotte's wardrobe. Beautiful yet practical (other than the heels!), classic yet modern, sexy yet classy, just perfect. 

I particularly admired Charlotte's gorgeous healthy hair, all the pearls, and all the dresses. It also really doesn't cost much to find beautiful flattering dresses. I have many I get compliments on all the time, and I do not spend like Carrie Bradshaw. If only I could get Charlotte's "too shiny" hair without spending tons of money at Sephora on Olaplex products. lol

79b0385cfc79dd407fb16f0d58b6de52.jpg

Season-Four.jpg

• Love 8
15 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Then they changed that. SJP is beautiful but she couldn't pull off most of those outfits. I often thought she looked more like a homeless woman in the later seasons with what they put her in.

Most of the outrageous outfits didn't fit Carrie's personality.  If she had been an artist or someone who thrived on attention (which yes Carrie could be a drama queen but she never wanted to make a scene) they might have worked.  Carrie wanted to be noticed but for looking nice. Not noticed for looking ridiculous.  

14 hours ago, qtpye said:

Eventually, she was wearing outfits that were worth thousands of dollars just to walk down the street. This was before she married Big or was a kept woman by Alex. It was a cool fantasy but did not make sense for the character's finances.

I can fan wave a lot of things but when you have her dressing in high end designer clothes while scrambling to come up with the funds to buy her apartment it makes me think does Pat Fields even read the scripts.

10 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

In the first two seasons Carrie's wardrobe was inspirational.  I'm inspired by outfits that Carrie wore in those first two seasons to this day.  It was the mix of cheap finds, vintage stores and like you said, maybe 1 designer piece.   From Season 3 and on, it might have inspired some people, (????) but not me!  Those gigantic flowers never caught on LOL and I think Patricia stopped influencing people from then on.  She just went rogue.

This is Season 2, I believe:

C1MnwPAWgAE8UMZ.jpeg

I've done exactly what Carrie said. Buy a pair of fabulous shoes then have to go buy a cheaper outfit to wear with them.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

As much as I loved Carrie's passion for fashion and Samantha's sex appeal, I was probably most inspired by Charlotte's wardrobe. Beautiful yet practical (other than the heels!), classic yet modern, sexy yet classy, just perfect. 

I particularly admired Charlotte's gorgeous healthy hair, all the pearls, and all the dresses. It also really doesn't cost much to find beautiful flattering dresses. I have many I get compliments on all the time, and I do not spend like Carrie Bradshaw. If only I could get Charlotte's "too shiny" hair without spending tons of money at Sephora on Olaplex products. lol

79b0385cfc79dd407fb16f0d58b6de52.jpg

Season-Four.jpg

1 hour ago, ifionlyknew said:

Most of the outrageous outfits didn't fit Carrie's personality.  If she had been an artist or someone who thrived on attention (which yes Carrie could be a drama queen but she never wanted to make a scene) they might have worked.  Carrie wanted to be noticed but for looking nice. Not noticed for looking ridiculous.  

I can fan wave a lot of things but when you have her dressing in high end designer clothes while scrambling to come up with the funds to buy her apartment it makes me think does Pat Fields even read the scripts.

I've done exactly what Carrie said. Buy a pair of fabulous shoes then have to go buy a cheaper outfit to wear with them.

Yes, most of us women (and men) know how to look great on a budget. You don't have to spend money like a millionaire to look like a million bucks. I do get that it was fun to peak into the later seasons fabulous fashions but when the show decided to go full tilt into the fantasy aspect, that is when the writing got a lot sillier.

The first seasons were very relatable to some degree. 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, qtpye said:

The first seasons were very relatable to some degree. 

It was fairly easy to copy some of the early season styles.   But I also questioned what they presented as stylish.  The shoe that Charlotte got for free for letting the salesman "admire" her feet I thought was nondescript and didn't understand Carrie admiring so much.

• Love 6
Just now, ifionlyknew said:

It was fairly easy to copy some of the early season styles.   But I also questioned what they presented as stylish.  The shoe that Charlotte got for free for letting the salesman "admire" her feet I thought was nondescript and didn't understand Carrie admiring so much.

Yes, that show was soooo ugly and totally not Charlotte's style. There was no way she would let that rando drool over her for that stupid shoe.

• Love 4
(edited)

I like the shoes...... but I'm obsessed with 90s minimalism.  That's kind of how things were back then, we went crazy over really simplistic styles.  LOL.  That's how I remember it anyway.  To me it's a lot more relatable than the sky high stilettos that Carrie always wore.  I was never going to be someone like that.

There's just something about the S1/S2 style and wardrobe that realllllllly works for me.  Even Carrie's fur coats that I would never wear, I admire it for what it was -- it represented a certain time and place that just feels so cool and lost now.  

I actually like the actor who played the shoe fetish guy.  I got into the show "Difficult People" and he played Julie Klausner's boyfriend.  He's cool.

James Urbaniak:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0881672/?ref_=tt_cl_t8

tumblr_inline_p8p09fa2By1rwut1f_500.jpg

Buster-Foot-Festish-IV.jpg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
57 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I like the shoes...... but I'm obsessed with 90s minimalism.  That's kind of how things were back then, we went crazy over really simplistic styles.  LOL.  That's how I remember it anyway.  To me it's a lot more relatable than the sky high stilettos that Carrie always wore.  I was never going to be someone like that.

There's just something about the S1/S2 style and wardrobe that realllllllly works for me.  Even Carrie's fur coats that I would never wear, I admire it for what it was -- it represented a certain time and place that just feels so cool and lost now.  

I actually like the actor who played the shoe fetish guy.  I got into the show "Difficult People" and he played Julie Klausner's boyfriend.  He's cool.

James Urbaniak:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0881672/?ref_=tt_cl_t8

tumblr_inline_p8p09fa2By1rwut1f_500.jpg

Buster-Foot-Festish-IV.jpg

It was probably a reaction to the "over the top" glamour look of the eighties. I actually see a lot of ladies, who are often in their early twenties, that find the nineties minimalist aesthetic very chic.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, qtpye said:

It was probably a reaction to the "over the top" glamour look of the eighties. I actually see a lot of ladies, who are often in their early twenties, that find the nineties minimalist aesthetic very chic.

Very much so. There was a recession in the early 90s, which prompted a swing away from the excesses of the 80s. Even as the economic picture improved there was still a feeling of not wanting to fall back into those excesses. In these uncertain economic times, it's not surprising that once again young women are favoring a minimalist aesthetic.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I remember 90 to 92 fashion still had a certain 80s element to everything. Then in 1992 grunge exploded and that's when the more relaxed 90s began and we truly began moving away from the 80s. Of course, that era, 1992 to 1996 was also it's own era of sorts and differed from 1997 onwards, most people stopped wearing flannel shirts by 1995.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I like the shoes...... but I'm obsessed with 90s minimalism.  That's kind of how things were back then, we went crazy over really simplistic styles.  LOL. 

I actually like that style of shoe but with one larger strap across the foot instead of two thinner ones. In fact I just bought a pair in black over the weekend.   I just thought those particular shoes were ugly especially for what they cost.  

20 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

To me it's a lot more relatable than the sky high stilettos that Carrie always wore.  I was never going to be someone like that.

I was someone like that.  LOL. Still am but not as frequently.  I love heels.  About six years ago I got an insurance settlement from a car accident and I wanted to buy myself a pair of designer heels.   I went to Nordstroms (the only store within a hundred miles of me that sells high end shoes) and I didn't like the Manolo's but they had a pair of gorgeous Jimmy Choos pumps. They were tannish which would have went with everything. But alas they did not have my size and upon a quick google search discovered no place anywhere had my size. It was clearly their best seller. So I had to be happy with a black pair of strappy Stuart Weitzmans.  A few years later I discovered that particular shoe was the most popular shoe for that year.  I have only worn them a couple times but it makes me happy to have them.  

2 hours ago, Hiyo said:

I remember 90 to 92 fashion still had a certain 80s element to everything. Then in 1992 grunge exploded and that's when the more relaxed 90s began and we truly began moving away from the 80s. Of course, that era, 1992 to 1996 was also it's own era of sorts and differed from 1997 onwards, most people stopped wearing flannel shirts by 1995.

When I think of 90s fashion I think of BH90210 and Melrose Place. Which means baby doll dresses and vests and hats.  I was in my 20s during the 90s and I did have a couple vests (which I would like for vests to make a comeback. They really do spice up jeans and a tee shirt).  I remember the early 90s have leggings (but not the good ones that came about 15 years later) and long sweaters.  Which is a look I still wear today.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

I was in my 20s during the 90s and I did have a couple vests

Same - for this entire sentence.  Ah, to have my high school years in the '80s and college in the '90s, so many changes! (But I, too, was into vests and long sweaters, so the '90s seemed more my style there!)

• Love 3
15 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

When I think of 90s fashion I think of BH90210 and Melrose Place. Which means baby doll dresses and vests and hats.  I was in my 20s during the 90s and I did have a couple vests (which I would like for vests to make a comeback. They really do spice up jeans and a tee shirt).  I remember the early 90s have leggings (but not the good ones that came about 15 years later) and long sweaters.  Which is a look I still wear today.

Ooh speaking of those shows...

I'm a 90's kid, and BH90210 and SATC are probably my two favorite shows of all time. When I was younger, the idea of being gorgeous and rich and young in Beverly Hills was really appealing to me. I had a big crush on Dylan McKay too. Also found some of the other men on the show really attractive. Not saying they're bad-looking guys, but I don't exactly drool over Big or Harry or Steve physically. The only guy I thought was super gorgeous was Smith. I prefer to watch SACT overall for the laughs and feel-good factor though. 90210 could be heavy. 

Melrose is one of those shows that looked really good, but I never watched it. I wonder if should give it a chance as I know Aaron Spelling was genius, and the show looks right up my alley, beautiful people and drama. lol I had to sneak to watch 90210 because I was so young then and my parents didn't like me watching it. I watched quite a bit of the shower later on DVD.

Because I love fashion so much, I've looked up various TV fashion icons, and I wish I could get away with dressing like Amanda Woodward. I LOVE those short skirt work suits with high heels, but I know you're not supposed to wear them IRL. I find the look super sexy without really showing a whole lot, but I know it's still too showy for work. Just don't know what the proper occasion is for such clothes! lol I feel like in the 90's was the decade for women with nice legs, especially on TV (Amanda, Cher Horowitz, Fran Drescher, Hilary Banks, Kelly Kapowski, etc). It became more about flaunting big boobs and butts as the years went on. 

• Love 6

90210 and Melrose Place have one other thing in common with SATC, and that is Darren Star. For me, all 3 shows began a decline in quality once he stopped being so involved in them (for the record, my "glory days" for each show were seasons 3 to 5 for 90210, 2 to 3 for MP, and 1 to 3 of SATC).

Of course, Melrose Place and SATC also have Kirsten Davis in common as well.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Ooh speaking of those shows...

I'm a 90's kid, and BH90210 and SATC are probably my two favorite shows of all time. When I was younger, the idea of being gorgeous and rich and young in Beverly Hills was really appealing to me. I had a big crush on Dylan McKay too. Also found some of the other men on the show really attractive. Not saying they're bad-looking guys, but I don't exactly drool over Big or Harry or Steve physically. The only guy I thought was super gorgeous was Smith. I prefer to watch SACT overall for the laughs and feel-good factor though. 90210 could be heavy. 

Melrose is one of those shows that looked really good, but I never watched it. I wonder if should give it a chance as I know Aaron Spelling was genius, and the show looks right up my alley, beautiful people and drama. lol I had to sneak to watch 90210 because I was so young then and my parents didn't like me watching it. I watched quite a bit of the shower later on DVD.

Because I love fashion so much, I've looked up various TV fashion icons, and I wish I could get away with dressing like Amanda Woodward. I LOVE those short skirt work suits with high heels, but I know you're not supposed to wear them IRL. I find the look super sexy without really showing a whole lot, but I know it's still too showy for work. Just don't know what the proper occasion is for such clothes! lol I feel like in the 90's was the decade for women with nice legs, especially on TV (Amanda, Cher Horowitz, Fran Drescher, Hilary Banks, Kelly Kapowski, etc). It became more about flaunting big boobs and butts as the years went on. 

Believe it or not BH90210 was deeper than Melrose Place, even though MP had older and supposedly more mature characters. MP kind of went for all out camp and a lot of people loved it (there is even a Seinfeld episode about it).

I imagine we probably did not find Harry or Big that attractive because they were older than some of our fathers at the time.

I remember Heather Locklear giving an interview about how she had to learn how to sit in Amanda's skirts because they were so short. The camera crew would give her a heads up by saying "Heather, we are seeing a little too much". The Brady girls had the same problem because of the shortness of the dresses that were in style in the seventies on The Brady Bunch. 

• Useful 3
(edited)
13 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Not saying they're bad-looking guys, but I don't exactly drool over Big or Harry or Steve physically. The only guy I thought was super gorgeous was Smith. 

I know exactly what you mean.  Steve and Aidan in particular, I can't even SEE the attraction.  At least with some of the other guys I can understand it.

Guys I actually found attractive on this show:  Smith, Robert, Berger (somewhat).

There were some hot 1 episode guest stars like Will Arnett, Mr. Too Big, Dean Winters (the fuck Buddy),  I'm probably forgetting some.

This is just my theory, but I feel like a big flaw is that whoever was in charge of the show just decided to cast all of the men on the show as their own personal physical type.  It was like 90% of the time a white guy with brown hair.  It's like expaaaaaaaaaaaand your tastes a bit, please.  It's just not realistic that 4 women in NYC would all have the exact same physical type.  Once in awhile they dated a blonde, like Wylie Ford, or the sex tape guy played by Gabriel Hecht ,  or the skateboarder that lived with his parents.  But seriously, it was like 90% of the time a white guy with brown hair like Chris Noth or Kyle Maclachlan.

Skipper and Steve were a similar type.

Mr. Too Big and the Priest were a similar type (I don't mind that type though.  At least they looked kind of different!) 

The Politician played by John Slattery and Robert John Burke (who dated Miranda) are a similar type (silver fox).

Justin Theroux even played TWO DIFFERENT GUYS!

etc. etc.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, qtpye said:

Believe it or not BH90210 was deeper than Melrose Place, even though MP had older and supposedly more mature characters. MP kind of went for all out camp and a lot of people loved it (there is even a Seinfeld episode about it).

I imagine we probably did not find Harry or Big that attractive because they were older than some of our fathers at the time.

I remember Heather Locklear giving an interview about how she had to learn how to sit in Amanda's skirts because they were so short. The camera crew would give her a heads up by saying "Heather, we are seeing a little too much". The Brady girls had the same problem because of the shortness of the dresses that were in style in the seventies on The Brady Bunch. 

Intersting about Melrose!

Honestly it's not the age difference for me at all. I'm in my 30's now and totally find men around that age attractive.  I even think Ian Ziering is better looking now than he was in the 90's. I could see Harry as charming and Big as a charismatic, even good-looking guy, just didn't really do it for me personally. As far as my personal tastes go, they were just not in the same league as Luke Perry, Jason Priestley, Vincent Young, etc. Harry was written as someone who was lucky to be with someone who looked like Kristin Davis. There was that one scene Charlotte was actually quite cruel about it. "Do you know what people think when they see us?"

31 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I know exactly what you mean.  Steve and Aidan in particular, I can't even SEE the attraction.  At least with some of the other guys I can understand it.

Guys I actually found attractive on this show:  Smith, Robert, Berger (somewhat).

There were some hot 1 episode guest stars like Will Arnett, Mr. Too Big, Dean Winters (the fuck Buddy),  I'm probably forgetting some.

This is just my theory, but I feel like a big flaw is that whoever was in charge of the show just decided to cast all of the men on the show as their own personal physical type.  It was like 90% of the time a white guy with brown hair.  It's like expaaaaaaaaaaaand your tastes a bit, please.  It's just not realistic that 4 women in NYC would all have the exact same physical type.  Once in awhile they dated a blonde, like Wylie Ford, or the sex tape guy played by Gabriel Hecht ,  or the skateboarder that lived with his parents.  But seriously, it was like 90% of the time a white guy with brown hair like Chris Noth or Kyle Maclachlan.

Mr. Too Big and the Priest were a similar type (I don't mind that type though.  At least they looked kind of different!) 

The Politician played by John Slattery and Robert John Burke (who dated Miranda) are a similar type (silver fox).

Justin Theroux even played TWO DIFFERENT GUYS!

etc. etc.

Sounds like our taste in men is a little more similar! lol I do find Aidan cute though. But to me Smith was probably the hottest. Robert was quite sexy, and Berger was a pretty cute guy too, though not my fave. I did find some of the guest stars hot. It's just the main men of the show didn't do much for me, other than Smith (Big, Steve, Harry). I do think Kyle M's a handsome guy, but again, just not the kind of man I'd tune in to drool over. 

Yeah, I like to see a variety of men too. I'm attracted to everything from blue-eyed blonde men to black men. Sometimes I still am attracted to men in their 20's (late 20's), and I've seen some super sexy men in their 60's. This is one of the reasons I have a hard time getting into Friends. Trust me, I can appreciate a white guy with brown hair, but three? I think Chandler is handsome and Joey is cute, but neither one drew me in the way men watched to drool over Rachel. When I think of a super cute brown haired guy, I think of Seth Cohen from the OC or McDreamy. Some men are handsome in a bland way. Some have more of a cutie factor, eyes that dance, a wicked smile, perhaps a sick body. It's one of the reasons I'm a big fan of Days of Our Lives. Anyone who appreciates gorgeous men, I highly recommend the show! lol

Yeah I could see them being a similar type. I think Steve was cuter though. Steve I found adorkable, just not sexy. 

I'm not mad at a silver fox. 🙂 I thought one of the cutest men Carrie dated was the politician. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 5
(edited)

Oh I find Matthew Perry sooooooooooooo cute.  But I know that's not a universal thing.  He and his father are quite good looking.  His father was an Old Spice model.    And Matt LeBlanc was super sexy right before "Friends" hit.  He looks better now as the silver fox type than he did on the show, I think.

Seth Cohen is adorable.  I also like Penn Badgley who is kind of the same type.  

DOOL is big in my family, going back 3 generations.  My grandmother watched it every day!  I haven't watched it in decades though.  My personal crush was Lucas (Bryan Dattilo omg and I saw him in person and it was the OPPOSITE of when I saw Jason Lewis.  Bryan was sooooooooo much hotter in person than he was on TV!) and my mother is absolutely crazy for Drake Hogestyn!  😄

Trying to bring this back to the topic.  

Here's a good article:

https://www.therichest.com/entertainment/11-hot-guys-who-were-in-sex-and-the-city-before-they-got-famous/

Bon Jovi, definitely hot.

Vince Vaughn, will always be my type.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Dean Winters (the fuck Buddy)

I have always found him so hot.  But believably hot. Like a guy you would see in your local bar.

Smith was so attractive. Robert was gorgeous.  Berger was cute.  But I thought he had zero chemistry with Carrie.  To steal a line from an earlier season they looked good on paper.

Slattery is attractive but not my type. But I've loved Burke in every role I have seen him in. Gossip Girl, SVU.  He oozes sex appeal.

Call me shallow but neither one would have ever been on my radar.

17 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I even think Ian Ziering is better looking now than he was in the 90's

I agree. He got better with age.

17 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I could see Harry as charming and Big as a charismatic, even good-looking guy, just didn't really do it for me personally.

In real life I think Harry could probably win me over much like he did with Charlotte.  I thought Big (actually Chris Noth) had greater sex appeal on the Good Wife.

16 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Oh I find Matthew Perry sooooooooooooo cute. 

Me too.  I wouldn't kick David Schwimmer out of bed. But Matt LeBlanc never did anything for me.

Seth Cohen is adorable.  I also like Penn Badgley who is kind of the same type. 

They were both smart too. That always makes a guy even more attractive to me.

Bon Jovi, definitely hot.

Yes especially after he cut his hair.

Vince Vaughn, will always be my type.

It's not so much his looks that make me attracted to him.  It's his personality.  He seems fun.

The one guy I thought was absolutely gorgeous was Victor Webster.  He was the stock broker who got busted while in bed with Samantha.  And coincidentally was on DOOL too.

• Love 5

The one guy I thought was absolutely gorgeous was Victor Webster.  He was the stock broker who got busted while in bed with Samantha.  And coincidentally was on DOOL too.

Omg, Victor Webster was soooooooooooooo hot in his episode..  OH lord..... Lordy lordy lord.  I've watched a few Hallmark movies where he is the star.  He has some grey hair now, but he's still kinda hot.  LOL.

Another guy that was super hot?  Gilles Marini, Samantha's naked neighbour from the movie!

movie1-22_orig.jpeg

I have always found him so hot.  But believably hot. Like a guy you would see in your local bar.

I love how Dean Winters has carved out this niche space of playing everyone's hot dumb boyfriend on TV:  Carrie Bradshaw, Olivia Benson, and Liz Lemon.  

• Love 3
(edited)

In real life I think Harry could probably win me over much like he did with Charlotte.  I thought Big (actually Chris Noth) had greater sex appeal on the Good Wife.

I've been watching this new show "The Equalizer" and Chris Noth and Queen Latifah have a nice, easy chemistry.  On this last episode they really dressed up to go to a black tie event and they looked great.

gg.jpg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Omg, Victor Webster was soooooooooooooo hot in his episode..  OH lord..... Lordy lordy lord.  I've watched a few Hallmark movies where he is the star.  He has some grey hair now, but he's still kinda hot.  LOL.

Another guy that was super hot?  Gilles Marini, Samantha's naked neighbour from the movie!

movie1-22_orig.jpeg

I love how Dean Winters has carved out this niche space of playing everyone's hot dumb boyfriend on TV:  Carrie Bradshaw, Olivia Benson, and Liz Lemon.  

I knew Giles from Brothers & Sisters.

I forgot about Dean on 30 Rock.  He was also on Oz.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

Oh my gosh I forgot he was on the show. Yes he is gorgeous!!!

5 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

movie1-22_orig.jpeg

Oh yeah he's a very good-looking guy too. Why don't I have neighbors like him? lmao

This is Victor Webster for anyone who doesn't remember. He's fire!

19734e26cc485013fdbcddbc874462a9.jpg

I always thought Samantha had the hottest main partner (Smith), but this settles it. She had the hottest men period!!! I don't think she ever dated anyone I found unattractive. Even when they weren't Jason Lewis or Victor Webster, they were never unattractive. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

“I don't think she ever dated anyone I found unattractive”

Even that guy from her building in that episode when Aunt Flo was taking her sweet time to visit?

• LOL 5
6 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

“I don't think she ever dated anyone I found unattractive”

Even that guy from her building in that episode when Aunt Flo was taking her sweet time to visit?

Touche! I just remembered she dated that super old guy too. I'm still too young for all that haha

• LOL 1
4 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Touche! I just remembered she dated that super old guy too. I'm still too young for all that haha

The actor Robert LuPone had a long career in soaps.  He is also Patty LuPone's brother. He was 54 when that episode aired so not super old.  LOL But the show did want us to think he was.

2 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

The actor Robert LuPone had a long career in soaps.  He is also Patty LuPone's brother. He was 54 when that episode aired so not super old.  LOL But the show did want us to think he was.

I thought the actor who played the old guy was Bill McHugh. 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

He was the super old guy.  The one she met when Donald Trump was in the episode. 

That's the guy I was referring to. I wouldn't refer to a 54-year-old as super old! lol 

13 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

@RealHousewifeThere's also The Turtle, which this article puts dead last out of 107 men that have been on the show. 😄

https://www.buzzfeed.com/louispeitzman/ranking-the-107-men-of-sex-and-the-city

It's a pretty useless article though, because all of the pictures are gone for some reason.

Ouch! lol 

• Love 2
On 3/1/2021 at 11:09 AM, qtpye said:

I did think around later Season 3/Season 4, Carrie started wearing some really bizarre outfits.  I'm thinking of the vintage nurse's cape she wore to that engagement party, or the weird mini-skirt with the ruffle on the back. 

I've been doing a little rewatch.  I'm a little more sympathetic to Trey with regards to the adoption.  I'll make clear that I'm not defending Bunny's racist comments, but it does seem like Charlotte is running on autopilot and mostly ignores Trey's reluctance to just plow ahead.

Also, I do not understand Charlotte's post-divorce finances.  She got the Park Avenue co-op, but the carrying costs on that place would be pretty significant and it appears she has no income.  She and Trey had a pre-nup and the marriage barely lasted a year, so it isn't as though she was getting any real alimony.  I just did not understand how she was able to afford to keep the place.     

• Love 3
8 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I did think around later Season 3/Season 4, Carrie started wearing some really bizarre outfits.  I'm thinking of the vintage nurse's cape she wore to that engagement party, or the weird mini-skirt with the ruffle on the back. 

For me it was the Heidi outfit that was the jump the shark moment.

8 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Also, I do not understand Charlotte's post-divorce finances.  She got the Park Avenue co-op, but the carrying costs on that place would be pretty significant and it appears she has no income.  She and Trey had a pre-nup and the marriage barely lasted a year, so it isn't as though she was getting any real alimony.  I just did not understand how she was able to afford to keep the place.     

I always wondered about that too.  They did have a prenup and Miranda helped her negotiate so she probably got a cash settlement as well as the apartment. But Charlotte did come from money.  She might have had a trust or something.

• Love 4
(edited)
11 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

For me it was the Heidi outfit that was the jump the shark moment.

I always wondered about that too.  They did have a prenup and Miranda helped her negotiate so she probably got a cash settlement as well as the apartment. But Charlotte did come from money.  She might have had a trust or something.

20 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I've been doing a little rewatch.  I'm a little more sympathetic to Trey with regards to the adoption.  I'll make clear that I'm not defending Bunny's racist comments, but it does seem like Charlotte is running on autopilot and mostly ignores Trey's reluctance to just plow ahead.

I watched a show called Gallery Girls solely because I was a Sex In The City fan and remembered that Charlotte worked in a gallery (the show was awful and not renewed)

Anyway the women who work in a gallery are sometimes not paid for years (interns) and come from very wealthy families. One girl's dad had a modern art collection valued at 100's of millions of dollars (maybe even a billion) and he had the main collection that was showcased in Art Basel in Miami. She worked as a receptionist in a gallery. Another girl had a grandfather that worked for Dupont and their family got money from several patents on things he helped to create.

The thing was except for Art Basel girl, most of these girls came off middle class or upper middle class when you met them...meaning you would never guess they were that wealthy. Art Basel girl looked a lot like Ivanka Trump.

So after seeing that show, I now conclude that Charlotte's family was pretty loaded though she would not draw attention to that wealth.  It would also explain why she seemed to be so willing to give up her dream job so easily to focus on "having a baby with Trey".

This link is about an extra that filled in for Kristin Davis and can be triggering. Please proceed with some caution.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/sex-city-stand-made-quit-153000301.html

Anyway, this writer talks briefly about how they had to dress to blend in the background because the "stars could get jealous easily". Now, this might not be true but it made me think of the Sara Jessica Parker and the Kim C situation. I wonder if that is one of the reasons Carrie's stories became more fantastical (all these rich men want to date her) and Samantha's got more ridiculous as the series went on.

Edited by qtpye
  • Useful 1

Sex and the City started in the late 90s when back to basics was still the main trend.  I recall in 2001/2, the 80s retro was slowly creeping back in..and you saw that with the shows fashion shifting to reflect on that change.  2000s was an interesting mix of 70s and 80s...as the 2000s continued, it leaned more toward 80s than 70s.  Although the super straight hair with the part in the middle was not flattering to most people.

• Useful 2
On 3/4/2021 at 10:37 PM, txhorns79 said:

I'm a little more sympathetic to Trey with regards to the adoption.  I'll make clear that I'm not defending Bunny's racist comments, but it does seem like Charlotte is running on autopilot and mostly ignores Trey's reluctance to just plow ahead.

Yeah I agree with you. Now I understand why Charlotte was all “full steam ahead”, because she assumed parenthood was a life goal for both of them, (and in straight couples women usually take on the research and administration with that stuff) but I also understand where Trey was coming from. There are people that are open to the idea of having children if they have sex and conceive one, but don’t want to expend the energy to ensure they have children via adoption or medical intervention. 

For the record Charlotte had every right to leave the marriage not being on the same page with Trey about a huge issue, just as Trey had every right to stay true to what he wanted as well. They really just weren’t suited, and how they divorced played out pretty realistically. 

I always assumed Charlotte had a trust fund that she lived off of, and worked because she wanted to (and probably saved the salary just in case something happened). 

And yes Samantha dated the hottest men. 

• Love 8
On 3/6/2021 at 8:48 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I always assumed Charlotte had a trust fund that she lived off of, and worked because she wanted to (and probably saved the salary just in case something happened). 

But wasn't there that whole episode where Charlotte allowed herself to be used by the foot fetishist shoe salesman because she couldn't afford the few hundred dollars the shoes cost? 

• Useful 2

That's true.  Kind of odd.

I wonder if Charlotte was just trying to be really practical with her money.  Kind of like the anti-Carrie.  Like she could afford them, but knew that she didn't need them and it's an extravagance.  Don't know what the writers were going for with her.

-Good morning.
-Good morning.
-Beautiful shoes.
-Just got those in.
-Would you like to try them on?
-No. I'm just looking. I have way too many shoes as it is.
Size seven? Size seven.
You are bad. Ok, I'm just trying them on.  I can't even afford them. I'm saving for a summershare in the Hamptons.
Beautiful. Look at that craftsmanship.
-I love them. How much?
-$400.
No. I can't. Please take it off before I start to cry.
$200.
-Why?
-Shoes were meant to be loved.
You're gonna need a beautiful sandal like that in the Hamptons.
Thank you so much.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Also, the writing on this show wasn't always consistent. Not as inconsistent as other shows, but it happened from time to time. I always assumed Charlotte as others have said had a mix of family money (not a ton but probably a decent savings account) plus her own practicality and sensibility when it came to managing her finances. Plus another $1 million she got from the divorce, no?

The shoe story listed above seems like they needed to give Charlotte something to do that week, plus, it would have made more sense as a story for Carrie, not Charlotte.

• Love 6

I thought both too, the writing was inconsistent, but that Charlotte was indeed a more practical person than Carrie. I think if Charlotte didn't have money, she'd be very responsible. She wouldn't be buying a bunch of designer pieces. I know Charlotte's type was "looks, money, manners," but I think she was also the type who had the ability to live a modest lifestyle without going crazy. If Charlotte didn't have a ton of family money and Harry lost a job, Charlotte would be okay. If they wrote Harry as someone who who didn't have a successful career, I think Charlotte would be the type to become thrifty just so she could be a stay at home mom. Carrie lived and breathed fashion, designers, trends, shoes, Vogue, all that stuff. Charlotte wasn't so much extravagant as she was prissy and liked for things to be pretty, which you can do on a budget. So even if she loved beautiful things, she was more likely to feel guilty spending a ton on them. 

• Love 7
(edited)

As weird as it is, I like those plots when the writers would finally acknowledge how beautiful the non-SJP women were, though.  Like, yeah, that guy had a foot fetish, but if I met a woman that looked like Kristin Davis I'd be pretty stunned.  So it's a weird plot, and doesn't make all that much sense, but at least someone wasn't going crazy for Carrie for once.  It's realistic that Charlotte could and would use her looks and femininity to get something, sometimes.

Also Carrie probably wouldn't have the shame and the moral quandary that Charlotte had about it, 😄😄.  And Samantha DEFINITELY wouldn't have had the shame.   Charlotte is a somewhat uptight, prissy UES-er who had to compromise her values a bit to have a little fun, which makes it more interesting.

Because Carrie spent so willy nilly I think I tend to forget that $400 is a lot for shoes and this was the late 90s.   (I never spend money on shoes.  Books and alcohol, well that's a different story).  And Charlotte did say "I have too many shoes as it is".  She's acknowledging that this is a matter of her not needing them at all and knowing that it's silly to spend this money, even if she has it.

The fact that this guy was willing to use $200 or $400 of his own money just to have a woman try on shoes for him?  On a shoe salesman wage? Oh man.  THAT'S an addiction 😁.  Carrie  and him really would have been the perfect match. 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

As weird as it is, I like those plots when the writers would finally acknowledge how beautiful the non-SJP women were, though.  Like, yeah, that guy had a foot fetish, but if I met a woman that looked like Kristin Davis I'd be pretty stunned.  So it's a weird plot, and doesn't make all that much sense, but at least someone wasn't going crazy for Carrie for once.  It's realistic that Charlotte could and would use her looks and femininity to get something, sometimes.

Also Carrie probably wouldn't have the shame and the moral quandary that Charlotte had about it, 😄😄.  And Samantha DEFINITELY wouldn't have had the shame.   Charlotte is a somewhat uptight, prissy UES-er who had to compromise her values a bit to have a little fun, which makes it more interesting.

Because Carrie spent so willy nilly I think I tend to forget that $400 is a lot for shoes and this was the late 90s.   (I never spend money on shoes.  Books and alcohol, well that's a different story).  And Charlotte did say "I have too many shoes as it is".  She's acknowledging that this is a matter of her not needing them at all and knowing that it's silly to spend this money, even if she has it.

The fact that this guy was willing to use $200 or $400 of his own money just to have a woman try on shoes for him?  On a shoe salesman wage? Oh man.  THAT'S an addiction 😁.  Carrie  and him really would have been the perfect match. 

Also, just because you HAVE the money doesn’t mean you can afford something. If Charlotte set up her life to live off of the monthly income from her trust not her salary (or vice versa), and the shoes didn’t fit in the budget the shoes just didn’t fit. Even if yeah she had the money. 

Also continuity wasn’t as locked down in the late 90s as it is now. Better than it was in the 1970s and 80s, but not as great as it was in the mid 2000s. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I thought she got it, since one of her subplots for an episode was negotiating her prenup, from $100k to $1 million. Maybe the writers forgot to mention it lol

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

I thought she got it, since one of her subplots for an episode was negotiating her prenup, from $100k to $1 million. Maybe the writers forgot to mention it lol

From what I recall, it was one of those agreements where she would have only gotten some portion of $1,000,000.00 for each year married.  It wasn't one where she just gets $1,000,000.00.  My presumption was that she got the apartment in lieu of anything else because the apartment would have been a multi-million dollar asset.