Type keyword(s) to search

Sex And The City - General Discussion

Message added by Black Knight,

The HBO sequel series, And Just Like That, has its own forum here.

• Start Topic

Season 3 is surprisingly okay so far.  

I don't find John Slattery attractive (sorry) and that whole storyline is a bust.  But HBO is only airing two episodes a night and when they were over I was sad I had to wait until tomorrow!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't find John Slattery attractive (sorry) and that whole storyline is a bust.

I didn't find that storyline a bust but I thought he was miscast.  He and SJP had zero chemistry which was odd because she had chemistry with just about everyone.   One particular thing I didn't like about that storyline was Carrie's attitude toward politics.  She acted like she was so uninterested.  Which tracks for the character but she still should have cared about issues.  

19 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Carrie:  Who are you, Goldicocks?
Samantha:  Yup!  I'm looking for one that's juuuuuust right!

😄

I  have actually said the word Goldicocks when referring to a particularly busy time in my dating life.  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

I didn't find that storyline a bust but I thought he was miscast.  He and SJP had zero chemistry which was odd because she had chemistry with just about everyone.   One particular thing I didn't like about that storyline was Carrie's attitude toward politics.  She acted like she was so uninterested.  Which tracks for the character but she still should have cared about issues.  

I agree, they had zero chemistry and their kissing scenes were gross.  (IMO)

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

I  have actually said the word Goldicocks when referring to a particularly busy time in my dating life.  

I wish Carrie cared more too. I actually think you can have a lot of her traits but still be very political. Some of my friends are more political than others, but they all absolutely care about important issues. 

• Love 4
(edited)

It's funny that Eddie Cahill played "The Younger Man" that both Carrie Bradshaw and Rachel Green dated.  Kind of like Dean Winters playing the dumb boyfriend of Liz Lemon, Olivia Benson, and the fuck buddy of Carrie Bradshaw also.  

Why would anyone want to kiss Carrie during a game of Spin the Bottle while she has a cigarette in her mouth anyway?  She didn't even put the cigarette away for the game.

I'm so glad that Charlotte tells Carrie that they all hate her smoking and they only tolerate it because they love her.  Perfect example of being assertive.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
(edited)

Now comes one of my MOST hated points in the series, Steve throwing a tantrum because Miranda won't drop her work to watch him practice basketball.

Bitch, you live in MIranda's apartment presumably rent free and her work is what pays for the roof over your head!  You ungrateful ass!

Maybe I'd enjoy the part if Miranda dumped him, but instead, he gets his way.  What a bunch of BS

The slang that they make the Black actors use in the club scene is so funny.  When Samantha and Adina are fighting Chivon is like "Be cool!  Be cool!  Let's keep it real!"

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

This article is from January, but I don't remember reading it at the time.

https://www.vulture.com/2021/01/why-is-samantha-not-in-sex-and-the-city-next-chapter.html

https://nypost.com/2017/10/07/inside-the-mean-girls-culture-that-destroyed-sex-and-the-city/

This is amazing.  Good for Kim:

November 12, 2018
Chapter five of the the Origins podcast debuts and delves into the history of the SATC franchise. Kim is the only main cast member who does not participate. In the podcast, Michael Patrick King sheds some light on what was at the heart of the tension when he recalls, “Kim thought and said, ‘I’m everyone’s favorite.’” He elaborates that this was not disputed by SJP, who believed that this was “why the show works.”

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 3
9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The slang that they make the Black actors use in the club scene is so funny.  When Samantha and Adina are fighting Chivon is like "Be cool!  Be cool!  Let's keep it real!"

LMAO, so cringe

5 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I've heard a lot of people say Samantha was their favorite character. I was most drawn to Charlotte, but Samantha made me laugh the most. I could see resentment of Kim being a scene stealer. She acted the hell out of Samantha and has great comic timing. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Now comes one of my MOST hated points in the series, Steve throwing a tantrum because Miranda won't drop her work to watch him practice basketball.

Bitch, you live in MIranda's apartment presumably rent free and her work is what pays for the roof over your head!  You ungrateful ass!

Maybe I'd enjoy the part if Miranda dumped him, but instead, he gets his way.  What a bunch of BS

Thank you. I wanted to reach through my screen and punch Steve’s sniveling, whiny face. His weird baby talk cutesy voice grated on my last nerve. He was so weirdly entitled.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I could see resentment of Kim being a scene stealer. She acted the hell out of Samantha and has great comic timing. 

I've said before I think when SJP was hired it was presented to her that she would be the star of the show. But as the show progressed the other women were showcased just as much as Carrie.  And truth be told I liked the other women's stories better. I've watched the series so much that now when Carrie is onscreen I'm mostly just paying attention to her clothes.  I did on occasion feel bad for Carrie. Seeing Big with Natasha at the Hamptons party made me really feel for her.  But my heart never broke for her the way it did when Samantha caught Richard cheating or Charlotte losing the baby.  And out of the four I think SJP is the weakest actress.

7 hours ago, Mrs. Landingham said:

Thank you. I wanted to reach through my screen and punch Steve’s sniveling, whiny face. His weird baby talk cutesy voice grated on my last nerve. He was so weirdly entitled.

My dislike of Steve is well documented on the is board.  That character was not right for Miranda.  She needed someone who was her equal and that wasn't Steve.  There are people who lift you up or  bring you down and I think Steve brought her down.   She always had to be supportive of  him but I don't ever remember him being supportive of her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
7 hours ago, Mrs. Landingham said:

He is a spoiled brat.  Miranda, you are a smart, successful lawyer with a full life and great friends.  Find. Someone. Else. (Or. No. One!)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

Honestly though, couples like Miranda and Steve happen. 

Miranda reminds me of my sister. My sister is also smart, has a prestigious career going, makes tons of money, has lots of friends, and she's dating someone who hasn't worked in a VERY long time.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Miranda reminds me of my sister. My sister is also smart, has a prestigious career going, makes tons of money, has lots of friends, and she's dating someone who hasn't worked in a VERY long time.

It's really not about Steve's career whatsoever to me.  I have friends who lost their jobs during COVID, that's not at all relevant to how I feel about Steve.  I think Steve is garbage.  Has nothing to do with his job.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It's really not about Steve's career whatsoever to me.  I have friends who lost their jobs during COVID, that's not at all relevant to how I feel about Steve.  I think Steve is garbage.  Has nothing to do with his job.

He was a man child. Out of all the women's significant others he was definitely the most immature. As close as he was to his mother I assume she spoiled him. And on a completely shallow note I did not find him physically appealing in the least.  

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I brought up careers since you mentioned Miranda being a successful lawyer and Steve being spoiled and ungrateful for what she contributes. My sister's boyfriend hasn't worked since way prior to the pandemic. I would never judge someone who lost a job during covid. I'm the first to defend them. I probably like Steve better than some folks here do, but I can see him as sweet yet spoiled, much like my sister's boyfriend. 

23 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

My sister's boyfriend has also gotten annoyed when she's tired from work or has to call  it a night. I think sometimes people without jobs or even without stressful careers expect others to have just as much time and energy. I don't currently have a stressful job. I'm grateful that it's so flexible, but I know not everyone has a gig like mine. 

I totally understand not liking Steve. I just thought the relationship was one of the more realistic ones. 

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I just thought the relationship was one of the more realistic ones. 

That is actually mostly true.  Their relationship wasn't filled with grand romantic gestures. Their relationship wasn't all passion. They had arguments over real things. Like different schedules. And different financial situations.  And Miranda doing all the work. 

I've said before I think the idea of Steve as a character worked better than what we ended up with onscreen.  I think it was the combination of the actor and the writing.  It just didn't work for me.

• Love 7

What was Steve writing on his first introduction on the show?  Hemingway?  (I actually have no idea but I know they made him smart and clever for his first episode).

I'm watching an S3 episode now where Steve is in bed reading "The Aquarium Owners' Guide" 😄😁😄

Just to show you how much they dumbed him down!

• Love 4
(edited)

"Drama Queens" is one of Charlotte's most adorable episodes.  

Charlotte:  "You should be ashamed of yourself!"  (slaps Dennis)
Dennis:  "You're such a sparkplug, that's what I love about you!"
Charlotte:  "I'm not interested in starting some married man's car!"

She's so damn funny 😁

There are really good observations in this episode.  Miranda says to Carrie "Maybe you think it's not for real unless the person is playing hard to get?"

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ifionlyknew said:

That is actually mostly true.  Their relationship wasn't filled with grand romantic gestures. Their relationship wasn't all passion. They had arguments over real things. Like different schedules. And different financial situations.  And Miranda doing all the work. 

I've said before I think the idea of Steve as a character worked better than what we ended up with onscreen.  I think it was the combination of the actor and the writing.  It just didn't work for me.

Exactly. Carrie and Big made for great entertainment, but so much of their drama wasn’t relatable.

”You’re off to Paris without me?!”

”This wedding is so over the top and expensive, I’m getting cold feet!”

• Love 4
3 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

2 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

He was a man child. Out of all the women's significant others he was definitely the most immature. As close as he was to his mother I assume she spoiled him. And on a completely shallow note I did not find him physically appealing in the least.  

Was there not an episode where Miranda had plans to go to Vegas and Steve had to take care of Brady by himself for the first time and he could not do it? I might be remembering that wrong.

I always feel like they made Miranda out to be a bitch because she just did not enjoy doing an 80 hour work week, come home take care of a child, and then not be thrilled that she also had to "take care" of a man child.

They might have tried to present Steve as Miranda's manic pixie dream boy and failed.

• Love 4
(edited)

I found Big and Carrie so relatable.  

1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

Exactly. Carrie and Big made for great entertainment, but so much of their drama wasn’t relatable.

”You’re off to Paris without me?!”

”This wedding is so over the top and expensive, I’m getting cold feet!”

This is so funny because I have a close friend who experienced the first one (except it was a different country) and another close friend who experienced the second one (things didn't end well).

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

Was there not an episode where Miranda had plans to go to Vegas and Steve had to take care of Brady by himself for the first time and he could not do it? I might be remembering that wrong.

I always feel like they made Miranda out to be a bitch because she just did not enjoy doing an 80 hour work week, come home take care of a child, and then not be thrilled that she also had to "take care" of a man child.

They might have tried to present Steve as Miranda's manic pixie dream boy and failed.

Atlantic City.   Yeah Steve freaked out about taking care of Brady.   Magda agreed to help. 

On the show as in real life women not willing to take care of their partner as you would a child are characterized as selfish at best and just a flat out bitch at worst.

• Love 5
43 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Steve wanted a puppy. Steve got a puppy. Miranda took care of the puppy. And the puppy turned into a pretty big dog. Never mind that Miranda already had a cat.

Remember that her end story was bathing Steve's mom.

What did Steve give up or compromise for Miranda? He was even painted sympathetically in the movie when he cheated because she was "cold" and did not value his needs.

Her needs or ambitions were always looked upon as selfish.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I found Big and Carrie so relatable.  

This is so funny because I have a close friend who experienced the first one (except it was a different country) and another close friend who experienced the second one (things didn't end well).

Certain aspects of their relationship were definitely were relatable, but some of it was more of a glamorous kind of drama. When @ifionlyknew mentioned grand romantic gestures, I instantly thought of Big having that massive closet built for Carrie. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Yeah, I think at the point of the movies, the "writers" were very "fuck it".  None of that rich women stuff was relatable to normal people.

I wish I could relate to that closet!

I don't think many in the audience had sympathy for Carrie hating that Big put a flat screen TV in their bedroom and liked to chill at home.

However, at least they had that part where Miranda and Charlotte commiserated about motherhood.  The audience I was with seemed to really feel that one.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
44 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Remember that her end story was bathing Steve's mom.

What did Steve give up or compromise for Miranda? He was even painted sympathetically in the movie when he cheated because she was "cold" and did not value his needs.

Her needs or ambitions were always looked upon as selfish.

I'll always remember that scene. Miranda is pretty much the quintessential hard exterior, big, soft heart. 

I will always, always hate the cheating storyline. I see a lot of what you guys are talking about with Steve, but I did consider him a good, nice man. I also know in real life, men we think are good can be heavily flawed, but still. I think because Miranda comes across so strong and at times harsh, sometimes people don't notice all her kindness, hard work and sacrifice. They just see super woman. Sadly, this is another thing I've seen happen all too often in real life. Someone can just be smiley and pleasant and get that nice label (especially men) without really doing anything, but if a woman isn't sweet and bubbly 24/7, she could be Mother Theresa and be considered cold. I'd much rather have relationships where someone truly shows me love, rather than just have a friendly persona. Miranda was a quality person. Honestly, of all of them, I'd probably most want a male version of her, lmao. 

• Love 7
13 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

What was Steve writing on his first introduction on the show?  Hemingway?  (I actually have no idea but I know they made him smart and clever for his first episode).

I'm watching an S3 episode now where Steve is in bed reading "The Aquarium Owners' Guide" 😄😁😄

Just to show you how much they dumbed him down!

I liked that Steve too. He was interesting. I hate that they dumbed him down. Why? 

• Love 8

7 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I liked that Steve too. He was interesting. I hate that they dumbed him down. Why? 

I guess they had to make conflict with Miranda and this was the one they could think of.  😥. Sad.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

However, at least they had that part where Miranda and Charlotte commiserated about motherhood.  The audience I was with seemed to really feel that one

Didn’t that come on the back of Carrie being an absolute cow to Charlotte because Charlotte didn’t agree with her meeting Aidan.

Re the Steve subject - I think they really dumbed him down in season 3 or whenever they lived together because the writers were ending the relationship and needed a solid exit plan. I did think he had good points though in that he adored Miranda, was a good father and was a hard worker. I remember that the final season Miranda specifically called out that he was working late at the bar and then would come home to look after his mother. I don’t think he would have forced her to live with them either, Miranda suggested it when she saw how bad her living conditions were. 

• Love 5

I just started reading this topic after some lovely person provided the link when I commented on The Family Stone. (something about Carrie's numerous needless screams).

Would Miranda have been with someone like Steve?

I'm watching the edited reruns on the E channel and the episode just aired where Miranda decides to keep the baby and in a less dramatic story line Charlotte and Trey attend the Scottish Highland fling.

There's a lot of competition for the least plausible relationship, isn't there?

Young, handsome, rich, doctor Trey finds Charlotte (depicted as the least sexual, least adventurous one who believes in "the Rules" and all that B.S.). He  can afford a spacious luxury apartment on the upper east side of NYC and is not interested in having relations with his wife and doesn't mind if she has dalliances with the gardener... when they're at the country house, that is. At times, he'll just have to look the other way, he says.

Big and Carrie? Imagine part of your history as a couple  are memories like these... remember when you took up with that actress, Willow? and you  were so crazy you just had to interrupt my weekend with Aiden to discuss the green eye / red panty connection? or that time your business trip to Paris (that you thought I over-reacted to)  resulted in you bringing back a whole WIFE?

Samantha and  Smith Jarrod [formally Jerry Jarrod] ? At 45  Samantha just had to let a tall, blond, tanned, fit, successful actor at least 10-15 years her junior  who she had great chemistry with, who insisted on being faithful to her even when offered a hall pass... but saw her home after her assignation with Richard [at HIS party] made her cry, and  was so tender and devoted  and supportive throughout her  battle with cancer and gave her gifts from the blooming Paperwhites to  that 50k diamond ring that annoyed her so...

go, so she could "find herself"?

Miranda with a demanding career like law linking up with someone with a service job,  bartending and later  being a bar owner... doesn't even seem so unbelievable when viewed alongside this mishigas above!

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, T Summer said:

I just started reading this topic after some lovely person provided the link when I commented on The Family Stone. (something about Carrie's numerous needless screams).

Would Miranda have been with someone like Steve?

I'm watching the edited reruns on the E channel and the episode just aired where Miranda decides to keep the baby and in a less dramatic story line Charlotte and Trey attend the Scottish Highland fling.

There's a lot of competition for the least plausible relationship, isn't there?

Young, handsome, rich, doctor Trey finds Charlotte (depicted as the least sexual, least adventurous one who believes in "the Rules" and all that B.S.). He  can afford a spacious luxury apartment on the upper east side of NYC and is not interested in having relations with his wife and doesn't mind if she has dalliances with the gardener... when they're at the country house, that is. At times, he'll just have to look the other way, he says.

Big and Carrie? Imagine part of your history as a couple  are memories like these... remember when you took up with that actress, Willow? and you  were so crazy you just had to interrupt my weekend with Aiden to discuss the green eye / red panty connection? or that time your business trip to Paris (that you thought I over-reacted to)  resulted in you bringing back a whole WIFE?

Samantha and  Smith Jarrod [formally Jerry Jarrod] ? At 45  Samantha just had to let a tall, blond, tanned, fit, successful actor at least 10-15 years her junior  who she had great chemistry with, who insisted on being faithful to her even when offered a hall pass... but saw her home after her assignation with Richard [at HIS party] made her cry, and  was so tender and devoted  and supportive throughout her  battle with cancer and gave her gifts from the blooming Paperwhites to  that 50k diamond ring that annoyed her so...

go, so she could "find herself"?

Miranda with a demanding career like law linking up with someone with a service job,  bartending and later  being a bar owner... doesn't even seem so unbelievable when viewed alongside this mishigas above!

100% Thanks so much for posting what I thought in so much detail. SATC was fun for the fantasy of it all. You can be a writer and live a baller lifestyle. You can be a 45-year-old woman and snag young, model gorgeous Smith, who's also a sweetheart. This is all great TV, but I did appreciate the more realistic storylines too. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, RealHousewife said:

100% Thanks so much for posting what I thought in so much detail. SATC was fun for the fantasy of it all. You can be a writer and live a baller lifestyle. You can be a 45-year-old woman and snag young, model gorgeous Smith, who's also a sweetheart. This is all great TV, but I did appreciate the more realistic storylines too. 

Right? I just started reading, but I'm sure much has been said about Carrie's lifestyle she afforded on  the one job of writing a sex column buried at the back of a newspaper. [it was only later they got published in a book]. Loads of $400 shoes and eating and drinking out and that looked like a pretty decent apartment. Carrie said how much she loved her neighborhood / block.

One thing that always gets me thinking when watching the reruns,  and I should just Google this, but it's more fun to ask. Does anyone remember  how much longer the original HBO episodes were? I find myself trying to remember the parts they cut out for network TV,

• Love 3
On 6/25/2021 at 8:46 AM, ifionlyknew said:

There are people who lift you up or  bring you down and I think Steve brought her down.   She always had to be supportive of  him but I don't ever remember him being supportive of her.

Yeah. I see where they were going with Steve, wanting to give her a man to round out her edges and encourage her emotional vulnerability, but there’s a way to do that without making the man an immature man child. 

I think Steve was better after Brady was born, but early Steve was such an immature baby. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, T Summer said:

Right? I just started reading, but I'm sure much has been said about Carrie's lifestyle she afforded on  the one job of writing a sex column buried at the back of a newspaper. [it was only later they got published in a book]. Loads of $400 shoes and eating and drinking out and that looked like a pretty decent apartment. Carrie said how much she loved her neighborhood / block.

One thing that always gets me thinking when watching the reruns,  and I should just Google this, but it's more fun to ask. Does anyone remember  how much longer the original HBO episodes were? I find myself trying to remember the parts they cut out for network TV,

If Carrie got into her apartment in the early 90s I could believe she could afford it. Also- if you’re a single person without health problems/disabilities you can live pretty cheaply. Given Carrie went to college in the 1980s she likely didn’t have oppressive student loans, (she didn’t go to graduate school) she didn’t have a car or any assets/retirement savings. Carrie spent everything she made, and had credit card debt. Add in that I’m sure men paid for their dates, the math makes sense. 

Notice Samantha and Miranda both owned places and had substantial savings (cash and likely retirement) although Miranda was the same age as Carrie. 

The original shows were about 28 minutes. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Notice Samantha and Miranda both owned places and had substantial savings (cash and likely retirement) although Miranda was the same age as Carrie. 

The difference between Carrie and the other women when it came to finances was huge.  Carrie had the least secure job and yet she was the one who was lousy with money.   I know the writers gave her the book deal because that is what happened to Candace Bushnell but I also think they did it so Carrie would have money and her extravagant spending would now make sense.  

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

The difference between Carrie and the other women when it came to finances was huge.  Carrie had the least secure job and yet she was the one who was lousy with money.   I know the writers gave her the book deal because that is what happened to Candace Bushnell but I also think they did it so Carrie would have money and her extravagant spending would now make sense.  

Yup you're right, also I think because as the millennium turned life got more expensive. Im sure someone else on the board knows more about life in NYC in the 90s than I do, but  I think there was a shift after 9/11.

Aidan ending things with Carrie and the entire issue about her apartment I think was a big wake up call for her. And then in the movies she married Big, and even when they were just living together I can believe he was paying all the expenses, and her money was hers to spend on her personal items/fun.

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I can believe he was paying all the expenses, and her money was hers to spend on her personal items/fun.

I think she assumed that was going to be how things were going to be with Alek when she went to Paris.

Carrie was the least independent out of the four.  Even Charlotte was more capable of taking care of herself without a man in the picture.  Carrie wanted to be able to live a certain lifestyle and expected a man to provide that.  What would have happened to her if she hadn't gotten book deals and ended up with Big? At some point her newspaper would have probably given her column to someone younger. I have a  hard time picturing Carrie with a real job.

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

I think she assumed that was going to be how things were going to be with Alek when she went to Paris.

Carrie was the least independent out of the four.  Even Charlotte was more capable of taking care of herself without a man in the picture.  Carrie wanted to be able to live a certain lifestyle and expected a man to provide that.  What would have happened to her if she hadn't gotten book deals and ended up with Big? At some point her newspaper would have probably given her column to someone younger. I have a  hard time picturing Carrie with a real job.

Yeah this is something I dont understand about people that want to live a certain lifestyle, but do not have the education/earning potential to fund that lifestyle, NOR do they want to partner with someone that can provide it. Do they think it is going to come out of thin air? My mom always said "There are three choices- you can work, you can marry, or you can be kept."- Carrie had this aversion to being kept, but didnt want to marry money, nor did she want to be industrious and earn it. Charlotte likely had a trust fund (that's what I assume) but Charlotte did work and lived within her means. Her means were just greater than Carrie's.

At least with Alek he did tell her "I have plenty of money, what I dont have is plenty of Carrie Bradshaw." The thing about being a kept woman (or man/person) is that it can end at any moment, its wise to save your pennies.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Carrie had this aversion to being kept

Are we really sure about that?  Even if a man wasn't paying her bills she liked what being with a man with money afforded her.  And she didn't seem bothered that Aidan bought her apartment and the one next door even though they weren't married yet. And was shocked when he wanted reimbursed.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

Are we really sure about that?  Even if a man wasn't paying her bills she liked what being with a man with money afforded her.  And she didn't seem bothered that Aidan bought her apartment and the one next door even though they weren't married yet. And was shocked when he wanted reimbursed.

Perhaps more accurately Carrie had an aversion to admitting she liked being kept- as if it was in "poor taste" even though in actuality it was happening. Also she wanted a lifestyle but didn't spend effort locking down that lifestyle, its as if she expected wealthy men to fall into her lap? And stay there to support her into her old age? The other ladies seemed to have a plan for their life (even if they were unsure about relationships etc). Carrie acted like a college student a lot of the time with no thought to the future (practical things, not emotions). It was odd for a woman in her mid-30s to be sure.

Yeah her shock over the apartment situation with Aidan was weird, did she expect him to keep paying the mortgage because she was so cute?

• Love 5

This makes sense. Incidentally, I just looked up Candace Bushnell's net worth and it's stated as 50 mil! Perhaps she mingled with, dated + married  or even came from a much more moneyed crowd. If not,  and she made it all herself that's a lot of money to make from writing   10 books. Kudos to her.

Before Googling that I was about to say some things that no doubt have already been covered here:  Like Carrie would have been using her oven and not to store sweaters in but to feed herself between dates and that trips to the thrift store would have been THE way she came upon designer clothes  rather than done on an occasional lark ...

They wrote Carrie as  hesitant to take Big's money when they were unmarried and even had Samantha (and possibly Miranda?) urging her not to take his check / loan   to buy her apartment because it would give him power over her... something like that. 

There's a disconnect there as  the books came after the apartment buying debacle IIRC? In truth to live as she did she'd have had to be writing books that did well all along.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, T Summer said:

There's a disconnect there as  the books came after the apartment buying debacle IIRC? In truth to live as she did she'd have had to be writing books that did well all along.

Yes there was a disconnect. Up until Carrie needed to buy her apartment very little was said about her finances.  I can't speak for the writers but I assume they thought viewers wouldn't question how Carrie could afford to dress the way she did.  

6 minutes ago, T Summer said:

Like Carrie would have been using her oven and not to store sweaters in but to feed herself between dates and that trips to the thrift store would have been THE way she came upon designer clothes  rather than done on an occasional lark ...

I'm pretty sure Carrie never cooked herself a meal. Which eating out anywhere let alone NYC adds up quickly. And yes she should have been shopping in thrift stores and consignment shops.  Her shoes were the most expensive part of her wardrobe. I love shoes as much as her but there is no way I would spend $40 k on them.

• Love 7

Carrie would have had to take her column online. Carrie, who despite being a writer working remotely, apparently did not have internet access until 2001 ("Baby, Talk is Cheap"). 🤔

I also find it eyebrow-raising that the same Carrie who couldn't comprehend bisexuality in "Boy, Girl, Boy, Girl" will apparently now be buddy-buddy with the non-binary, queer character played in the new show by Sara Ramirez. Admittedly two decades have passed, but still. 

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

Carrie would have had to take her column online. Carrie, who despite being a writer working remotely, apparently did not have internet access until 2001 ("Baby, Talk is Cheap"). 🤔

She also never backed up her files. I mean why would she?  It was only her job and livelihood on that computer.

• LOL 7