Type keyword(s) to search

Sex And The City - General Discussion

Message added by Black Knight,

The HBO sequel series, And Just Like That, has its own forum here.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

(Bolding mine) YES! I have seen it too. YEARS. 

You’re right, most of the time Carrie wouldn’t have ended up with Big, he would’ve kept stringing her along and using her. I also think if Natasha had not been the type to end the marriage (for whatever reason), Big would’ve stayed married to Natasha. No doubt about it. Big only wanted Carrie when there was no one else and he was just too tired to “hunt” any more. His health had scared him and he realized he didn’t have anyone he could call. 

That’s another reason I don’t like that they ended up together. Miranda & Steve ending up together was more realistic- they dated, had issues, broke up; but stayed “friendly”. After hooking up, conceiving a child and coparenting together they realized “hey this is something deeper, let’s make a life together.” Charlotte and Harry was realistic- no Harry wasn’t the “type” Charlotte wanted but he was successful and the sex was amazing. I love the scene where they have sex for the first time and he goes (paraphrasing) “you are so sexy” and she says “stop I’m wearing my glasses”- it’s so damn funny!!!!!!

1 hour ago, ifionlyknew said:

I wasn't an Aidan fan but at least him and Carrie had a real relationship.  What Carrie had with Big was at best dating and at worst hooking up.  The more and more I think about it I wonder how many viewers thought maybe if I just hang in there the guy who's been stringing me along will finally tell me I'm the one.

I think Aidan was a good man, but all wrong for Carrie. And I think Carrie wasn’t a total fool, she knew Aidan was a great guy and she wanted to be loved by someone like that. 

I think Carrie and Big had a relationship- not a very deep one, and Carrie was much more heavily invested in it than he was. But he did consider Carrie his girlfriend the second time around. 

I think in real life men keep comfort girls around for the following:

• Emotional support
  • Casual sex (friends with benefits)
  • Keep women they are interested in on their toes (there is a woman waiting in the wings happy to take your place).

I think at first Big kept Carrie around for the first two but not the last one when they were at the friend's stage. He was much richer and more powerful than the average guy so he might have actually had many women waiting in the wings and would not need Carrie for that. 

Eventually, even though they did become more of a real couple, I would definitely not use them as an example of good coupling.

I once dated a guy who had a female best friend. I have no problem with platonic male/female relationships and am not the jealous type.

However,  it did not take me long to realize she was obsessed with him. She would actually come over every weekend and clean his apartment and make him dinner. He was very smug about it and it felt like he thought I should be competing with her. Needless to say, I happily ended that toxic relationship.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, qtpye said:

I once dated a guy who had a female best friend. I have no problem with platonic male/female relationships and am not the jealous type.

However,  it did not take me long to realize she was obsessed with him. She would actually come over every weekend and clean his apartment and make him dinner. He was very smug about it and it felt like he thought I should be competing with her. Needless to say, I happily ended that toxic relationship.

I definitely think heterosexual men and women can be just friends and there be nothing else going on. But when one person wants more there’s often an imbalance of power like in what you described above.

Big KNEW Carrie was mad over him. I’m still mad when he told her at the furniture show “I’m getting out, it’s not working”- what an ass. 

2 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I think in real life men keep comfort girls around for the following:

• Emotional support
  • Casual sex (friends with benefits)
  • Keep women they are interested in on their toes (there is a woman waiting in the wings happy to take your place).

I agree with you on this too (and I think your order is perfect). The thing is Carrie and Big NEVER had anything in common and weren’t actually friends. I think they were attracted to each other and had fun together but didn’t really LIKE each other. 

Lucille Ball said that about she and Desi Arnaz. That they were fiercely attracted to each other, worked well together but didn’t like or respect each other very much. 

That happens. 

• Love 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I definitely think heterosexual men and women can be just friends and there be nothing else going on. But when one person wants more there’s often an imbalance of power like in what you described above.

Big KNEW Carrie was mad over him. I’m still mad when he told her at the furniture show “I’m getting out, it’s not working”- what an ass. 

I agree with you on this too (and I think your order is perfect). The thing is Carrie and Big NEVER had anything in common and weren’t actually friends. I think they were attracted to each other and had fun together but didn’t really LIKE each other. 

Lucille Ball said that about she and Desi Arnaz. That they were fiercely attracted to each other, worked well together but didn’t like or respect each other very much. 

That happens. 

I think so, but I believe friendships with zero crushing/sexual tension are the exception. I have a very dear male friend I'd take a bullet for. But he's a childhood friend who's truly like a brother to me. Every guy friend I've made as an adult has hit on me. All my female friends have experienced the same with their straight guy friends too. 

Big was a total ass at the furniture show!

Haven't we all been there?

The person I'm most physically attracted to is a good guy, so I wouldn't say he's exactly like Big. We also have some interests in common so he can be fun. HOWEVER, he's not particularly smart or funny. Our live views are vastly different. Generally I'm really attracted to intelligent men who can make me laugh, and I like to have similar values. This man is just SO good-looking though. Like, exquisite face and body. It's such a waste! I guess I'm more practical like Miranda where I don't push things even if there's attraction. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 3
39 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Big always seemed to want Carrie the most when he couldn't have her or if she wasn't available.

Yup, classic case of wanting what you can't have. That was probably one of the biggest issues. Carrie was the type who was too available, too pushy. She slept with him on the first date, stalked him and his mom going to church, stalked his ex-wife. If Carrie had played it cool and made Big work for her a little more from the beginning, I think he would have fallen for her more quickly. That's the way it works in real life. It sucks that some men aren't as likely to cherish the most awesome woman if they can easily get her, but it is what it is. I can understand being curious about Big's life since he was so mysterious, but the stalking was obviously all kinds of wrong. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I think so, but I believe friendships with zero crushing/sexual tension are the exception. I have a very dear male friend I'd take a bullet for. But he's a childhood friend who's truly like a brother to me. Every guy friend I've made as an adult has hit on me. All my female friends have experienced the same with their straight guy friends too. 

I agree the friendship without sexual tension among a straight man/woman is much more likely with a childhood friend with whom you've formed a pseudo family bond.

6 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

This man is just SO good-looking though. Like, exquisite face and body. It's such a waste! I guess I'm more practical like Miranda where I don't push things even if there's attraction. 

Maybe you can take a cue from Samantha's book and use him to fulfill your sexual needs and enjoy the pretty for a little while. Sometimes you have to go for it just for the story you can tell later??

4 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Yup, classic case of wanting what you can't have. That was probably one of the biggest issues. Carrie was the type who was too available, too pushy. She slept with him on the first date, stalked him and his mom going to church, stalked his ex-wife. If Carrie had played it cool and made Big work for her a little more from the beginning, I think he would have fallen for her more quickly. That's the way it works in real life. It sucks that some men aren't as likely to cherish the most awesome woman if they can easily get her, but it is what it is. I can understand being curious about Big's life since he was so mysterious, but the stalking was obviously all kinds of wrong. 

I agree with you @RealHousewife and @Hiyo. Big was interested in Carrie- he was taking her on that nice vacation and they had become exclusive. The man said he wasn't available on Sunday because he was taking his mother to church- let him have his time with his Mom. That was SO ODD. Did she think he was lying and was trying to catch him (which is a problem in and of it self), or was she just determined to intrude. She was invited to this wedding in season 2 and made a big deal of Big's name being on the invitation, "I want someone who will stay with me until the end, of a wedding.".....umm Big was there with her at the wedding.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

. Did she think he was lying and was trying to catch him (which is a problem in and of it self), or was she just determined to intrude

I think she wanted to be a bigger part of his life.  She was hurt that Big's mother didn't know who she was.

9 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

She was invited to this wedding in season 2 and made a big deal of Big's name being on the invitation, "I want someone who will stay with me until the end, of a wedding.".....umm Big was there with her at the wedding.

And she wanted Big to be a bigger part of her life.  People like other people knowing they are in a relationship.  Just look how people react when their social media status doesn't match the person's they are dating.  

Carrie was very insecure which I totally get because I have been in her shoes.   But he didn't hide her away.  It wasn't a secret.  She just wanted it to be more than it was.  Or more accurately I think she wanted Big to say it was more.    

Even Samantha got caught up in what a relationship looks like versus the reality of the relationship.   She kept getting presents from Richard and the cards never said love so she asked his personal shopper to sign one with love and she gleefully showed it to Richard and he felt compelled to say yes he did love Samantha. Did he love Samantha? No.  But Samantha wanted to hear it.

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

She kept getting presents from Richard and the cards never said love so she asked his personal shopper to sign one with love and she gleefully showed it to Richard and he felt compelled to say yes he did love Samantha. Did he love Samantha? No.  But Samantha wanted to hear it.

I remember that. Oh Samantha and Richard. I didnt like that she slept with him at that party and Smith was waiting for her. But as my Mom has said "most of us have loved a fool."

• Love 5
Just now, Scarlett45 said:

I remember that. Oh Samantha and Richard. I didnt like that she slept with him at that party and Smith was waiting for her. But as my Mom has said "most of us have loved a fool."

Samantha didn't always make the best choices.  When she was miffed at Richard she slept with that gossip reporter at some party.  With regards to sleeping with Richard at the party she immediately knew she had fucked up and felt bad about it.  I did like her and Smith.  Until the first movie.

• Love 6
(edited)

(Sorry to go back to my "live tweeting the show") another funny thing about the Bullshit Bagels.  Miranda actually threw her neck out because Charlotte called her to yell at her.  So again, really seems like misplaced anger with Carrie.  If you have an issue with Charlotte, address it with her directly!  Not the person who sent her burly gentleman boyfriend to rescue you and some (bland) bagels too!  I couldn't hep but wonder, did Miranda have butter and/or cream cheese in her fridge?  I always have those with me!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

(Sorry to go back to my "live tweeting the show") another funny thing about the Bullshit Bagels.  Miranda actually threw her neck out because Charlotte called her to yell at her.  So again, really seems like misplaced anger with Carrie.  If you have an issue with Charlotte, address it with her directly!  Not the person who sent her burly gentleman boyfriend to rescue you and some (bland) bagels too!  I couldn't hep but wonder, did Miranda have butter and/or cream cheese in her fridge?  I always have those with me!

Miranda was a little off, but as someone who hurt their back recently, the pain, vulnerability and immobility can mess with your mood. Add in Aidan seeing her nude (embarrassing) and then Carrie coming over not to pamper Miranda but talk about Aidan, Miranda went off. 

Miranda wasnt exactly fair, but I understand how it happened.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I agree the friendship without sexual tension among a straight man/woman is much more likely with a childhood friend with whom you've formed a pseudo family bond.

Maybe you can take a cue from Samantha's book and use him to fulfill your sexual needs and enjoy the pretty for a little while. Sometimes you have to go for it just for the story you can tell later??

Yup, he's family to me. 

I've thought about it! lol 

5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Miranda was a little off, but as someone who hurt their back recently, the pain, vulnerability and immobility can mess with your mood. Add in Aidan seeing her nude (embarrassing) and then Carrie coming over not to pamper Miranda but talk about Aidan, Miranda went off. 

Miranda wasnt exactly fair, but I understand how it happened.

I understand it too. I know Aiden was a gentleman and stronger than Carrie to help, but I'd be mortified if my friend's guy saw me naked. 

5 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

Samantha didn't always make the best choices.  When she was miffed at Richard she slept with that gossip reporter at some party.  With regards to sleeping with Richard at the party she immediately knew she had fucked up and felt bad about it.  I did like her and Smith.  Until the first movie.

Agree. I know we shit on Carrie a lot here, but I find all the girls flawed. That's life though. None of us are perfect. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Poor Sam.  Richard drove her nuts.  She was a complete asshole to Smith.  Where are great guys like that?  LOL.  

Smith was a gem! Hot, sweet- I think his time in AA made him wise beyond his years. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Smith was a gem! Hot, sweet- I think his time in AA made him wise beyond his years. 

I love that the writers didn't write Smith out to be stupid or immature or a womanizer despite his looks and age. That's how the young, hot guy would typically be portrayed. He'd basically be a worse version of Big! 

• Love 4
(edited)

Yeah I said something similar but deleted it because I didn't want it to be read the wrong way.  Just that usually the youth are stereotyped poorly, even on this show, yet Smith swooped in and totally changed all of Sam's misperceptions (after a lot of work, obviously.)

Natasha's supposed to be an idiot stick figure with no soul, Timothy Olyphant had the crazy apartment with no toilet paper, the young girls partying at Richard's were obviously supposed to be stupid, Kat Denning's character and all of her precocious friends, etc, etc.  The SATC women half envied and half pitied the youth.  

I'm watching "Belles of the Balls" and I get that the plot is for the sake of giving Aidan and Big conflict, but it does not really seem realistic to me that Big would lean on Carrie this much.  He's sooooooo insensitive (which is realistic) but god, how could he really be that clueless and stupid ranting and raving to Carrie about Willow?  It's Carrie's fault too, because she won't stop him, but it's kind of hard to believe Big would be this blatantly and wilfully stupid.  Like Aidan said he has real balls showing up at Aidan's country house.

Even though Carrie is making the wrong decisions, it's really weird seeing her all calm at the country house.  Reading magazines, playing solitaire, LOL, just totally content.  Aidan really changed her and calmed her down.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Poor Sam.  Richard drove her nuts.  She was a complete asshole to Smith.  Where are great guys like that?  LOL.  

If Sam EVER ran into a guy like Smith it would be totally stupid to dump him because she wanted to...

say her own name more she says his

buy her own 50k  estate diamond ring

nurture her relationship with herself

This is some of the worst writing ever, and it infuriates me every time I think of it! Smith showed Samantha who he was during the worst of times and he was  totally there for her. She didn't have to spy on him in a Raquel Welch sassy shag wig or go running up hotel stairs to make sure he wasn't banging the chambermaid.

...and he was young and attractive and not an airhead she couldn't bring around her  friends and business aquaintances. What more could she  have wanted? Perfection?

"Does that mean saying his name 50 times more a day than I say my own? " - what in the schizophrenic hell?

________________________________________________________________________________________

@%&#$? That dreadful second movie is on and Carrie just came into her dark hotel room and was startled by the  room attendant. You guessed it, she screamed like Jason was after her.

Carrie never would have made it a week in NYC nevermind a couple of decades.

• Love 3

If Sam EVER ran into a guy like Smith it would be totally stupid to dump him because she wanted to...

say her own name more she says his

buy her own 50k  estate diamond ring

nurture her relationship with herself

This is some of the worst writing ever, and it infuriates me every time I think of it! Smith showed Samantha who he was during the worst of times and he was  totally there for her. She didn't have to spy on him in a Raquel Welch sassy shag wig or go running up hotel stairs to make sure he wasn't banging the chambermaid.

...and he was young and attractive and not an airhead she couldn't bring around her  friends and business aquaintances. What more could she  have wanted? Perfection?

I think you are confusing Richard and Smith...

He's sooooooo insensitive (which is realistic) but god, how could he really be that clueless and stupid ranting and raving to Carrie about Willow?  It's Carrie's fault too, because she won't stop him, but it's kind of hard to believe Big would be this blatantly and wilfully stupid. 

There was a moment there where Carrie could have pointed out that Willow was treating Big the way he had treated Carrie. Or she could have had some epiphany about her relationship with Big after hearing him go on about Willow.

But I guess that sort of thing was beyond Carrie, after all she was to Aidan the way Big was to her.

• Love 4
(edited)

I'm remembering why I like Season 4 more than Season 3.  There's something so much more sophisticated about it.  Aidan and Carrie have real chemistry and their stuff at home is sometimes really funny and sweet.  SJP looks at John Corbett with real, actual feeling and happiness and it's nice.  

I wonder if Aidan never pushed the whole marriage issue, they could still be together.  But hey, I can't blame Aidan for what he wants.  With Aidan, Carrie acted like Peter Pan.  Carrie had a point that moving in together was already a huge step for her and that combining marriage with it was too much at the time.  Then again if it was Big asking she would be dancing and screaming in the streets.

How could Carrie's closet be THAT nice?  I can't even take it......

Carrie:  I have something to tell you.
Sam (full of ecstasy):  AIDAN LEFT YOU???????

😆

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, T Summer said:

What more could she  have wanted? Perfection?

Ultimately she doesn't want to be partnered and when one feels that way, it doesn't matter what a partner is like. They may be happy with a partner for a time, but they're ultimately happier alone. Expecting it to be otherwise is "s/he'll change, I'll be the one to change them" stuff.

I did enjoy Smith and Sam, but her ending up with him at the end of the series is the thing that didn't make sense to me. (I have issues with Carrie's and Miranda's outcomes but they are also ones where I can see how they came about. Carrie always wanted to end up with Big and he had gotten older and was tired, while Miranda wanted to make things work with her baby's father even if he was a giant man-baby.) I appreciated the first movie correcting that. And I liked that Smith wasn't some sort of jerk or loser so that viewers could go for the easy out of, "Well, that's because he wasn't a good boyfriend anyway." Some people just do not want to be in relationships. Sam tried it for a while because Smith was such a good guy, but eventually all the reasons she never wanted to be in a relationship still resurfaced. Some of us aren't meant to be in relationships.

• Love 7

I feel like I've seen that IRL too! Women who desperately want that handsome, sweet Prince Charming type (kinda like Charlotte) often struggle. Women who often don't care and love being single sometimes attract the Smiths more. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Hiyo said:

I think you are confusing Richard and Smith...

Maybe I didn't state myself clearly. I was contrasting Smith who didn't want to cheat on her even when given "a hall pass" with her relationship with Richard where she felt compelled to run around checking on him even after he said he'd try not to cheat... because he was a dyed in the wool player.

I was trying to say not only   did she have good chemistry with him,  he was

decent

attractive

bright

loving caring and supportive

generous

best of all,  she could relax and trust him

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, T Summer said:

Maybe I didn't state myself clearly. I was contrasting Smith who didn't want to cheat on her even when given "a hall pass" with her relationship with Richard where she felt compelled to run around checking on him even after he said he'd try not to cheat... because he was a dyed in the wool player.

I was trying to say not only   did she have good chemistry with him,  he was

decent

attractive

bright

loving caring and supportive

generous

best of all,  she could relax and trust him

^ That's how I read it, and I agree that Smith was a total catch. 

• Love 4
Just now, RealHousewife said:

I personally would have liked to have seen them end up together as I think 25, 30 years of the single life would have been enough for Samantha. 

Her overcoming breast cancer may have woken her up to the fact we never know how much longer we have on this earth. One might want to grab some happiness when it's within reach.

Plus, there's being a confirmed single person and then there's carrying things to a ridiculous extreme ... being given a partner like Smith and dumping him for no good reason is messed up.

but OK, lets say I'm missing the point totally that some people truly are happier on their own. I think it was the way the wind up of Sam's story  was written that angered me. If she'd said she wanted to go her own way and not have to explain herself to anyone else or know she was disappointing another person... maybe

but the bit of not wanting to say his name 50 times more than her own, feeling let down that  she didn't get to buy herself the estate diamond ring and wanting to nurture her relationship with herself? Really?

• Love 3
3 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Oh yeah, he was.  For sure.  It's just that Sam had a hard time being such a devoted partner.  It didn't make her comfortable.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, T Summer said:

I personally would have liked to have seen them end up together as I think 25, 30 years of the single life would have been enough for Samantha. 

Her overcoming breast cancer may have woken her up to the fact we never know how much longer we have on this earth. One might want to grab some happiness when it's within reach.

Plus, there's being a confirmed single person and then there's carrying things to a ridiculous extreme ... being given a partner like Smith and dumping him for no good reason is messed up.

but OK, lets say I'm missing the point totally that some people truly are happier on their own. I think it was the way the wind up of Sam's story  was written that angered me. If she'd said she wanted to go her own way and not have to explain herself to anyone else or know she was disappointing another person... maybe

but the bit of not wanting to say his name 50 times more than her own, feeling let down that  she didn't get to buy herself the estate diamond ring and wanting to nurture her relationship with herself? Really?

2 hours ago, Quof said:

Yes, really. There are people who prefer not to be partnered. They aren't freaks, or weirdos, and they don't have to justify their choices. 

I think you both have good points. I wasn't crazy about the stuff that annoyed Samantha about Smith either. I found it stupid tbh. However, I agree that some people are happier single. We're all different. Someone like Samantha may not understand people who can go without sex. Some people are totally fine going longs periods without it, and there are asexual people as well. I don't think there's anything wrong with them or that they're weird, just different. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Quof said:

Yes, really. There are people who prefer not to be partnered. They aren't freaks, or weirdos, and they don't have to justify their choices. 

I don't think such people are freaks or owe anybody any explaination.

To be clear, I thought the writing was shitty.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Ultimately she doesn't want to be partnered and when one feels that way, it doesn't matter what a partner is like. They may be happy with a partner for a time, but they're ultimately happier alone. Expecting it to be otherwise is "s/he'll change, I'll be the one to change them" stuff.

I did enjoy Smith and Sam, but her ending up with him at the end of the series is the thing that didn't make sense to me. (I have issues with Carrie's and Miranda's outcomes but they are also ones where I can see how they came about. Carrie always wanted to end up with Big and he had gotten older and was tired, while Miranda wanted to make things work with her baby's father even if he was a giant man-baby.) I appreciated the first movie correcting that. And I liked that Smith wasn't some sort of jerk or loser so that viewers could go for the easy out of, "Well, that's because he wasn't a good boyfriend anyway." Some people just do not want to be in relationships. Sam tried it for a while because Smith was such a good guy, but eventually all the reasons she never wanted to be in a relationship still resurfaced. Some of us aren't meant to be in relationships.

This is so true. I understand what happened between Samantha and Smith at the end of the first movie. Samantha did NOT want to be partnered. She resented managing Smith’s career (although she had been paid handsomely for it, it wasn’t just a job because she was also his girl friend). 

She was tired of adjusting her wants and needs for another human being on a regular basis. Having love or affection for Smith (and great sex) wasn’t worth it for her. I think that felt true to who she was as a person. 

On this I understand Samantha and I am glad she left him. But Smith was still a wonderful person and was going to make someone a wonderful partner. 

• Love 3

I agree the writers didn't write Samantha and Smith's breakup well. My opinion is all her life Samantha had been Samantha period.  And now she felt like she was Samantha Smith's girlfriend.   I understand that.  

Samantha liked being single.   That was her normal state.  I don't doubt she loved Smith. She just didn't want her life to be all about him.  Which to be fair he never expected that but with her being in California away from her friends that did seem to happen.  In the first movie was it ever mentioned she had other clients?  I don't think she did. I think the writers put her in California to facilitate their breakup.   They had her ogling the neighbor and her covering herself with sushi. It would have been better if she had been in NYC and the long distance relationship just didn't work.

• Love 5
22 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

I agree the writers didn't write Samantha and Smith's breakup well. My opinion is all her life Samantha had been Samantha period.  And now she felt like she was Samantha Smith's girlfriend.   I understand that.  

Samantha liked being single.   That was her normal state.  I don't doubt she loved Smith. She just didn't want her life to be all about him.  Which to be fair he never expected that but with her being in California away from her friends that did seem to happen.  In the first movie was it ever mentioned she had other clients?  I don't think she did. I think the writers put her in California to facilitate their breakup.   They had her ogling the neighbor and her covering herself with sushi. It would have been better if she had been in NYC and the long distance relationship just didn't work.

Yeah, I also think Samantha felt really grateful to Smith for sticking by her through her cancer treatments, and she wanted to repay him by making sure he became a big star. (which she did, she was amazing at managing him) But as we have seen from so many manager/romantic partner (or spouse) relationships, those lines get blurred really quickly. I could see Samantha liking LA at first, something new, networking etc but her entire professional life became about Smith, and then her personal life was always on his terms given the type of career he had. Dating an actor on the rise is not easy- the odd hours, the commitment they have to make to to their bodies (strict schedules and diets) and Samantha just wasnt interested in doing it any more.

• Love 4
(edited)

I agree with all of these points. Samantha was just a person who didn’t want to be (and probably shouldn’t have been) in any committed relationship, period. There’s nothing wrong with that, and she was right to end it for both their sakes; Smith was a fantastic catch and he deserved to be with someone who wanted that kind of commitment from him, and not somebody was clearly bored of being in a relationship no matter how much she cared about him.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 4

They just weren't "compatible", relationship wise.  They liked each other and respected each other, their lives just didn't fit.  It would be interesting to see what kind of man Samantha is compatible with long term, if such a man exists.  

• Love 3

They just weren't "compatible", relationship wise.  They liked each other and respected each other, their lives just didn't fit.  It would be interesting to see what kind of man Samantha is compatible with long term, if such a man exists.  

I think Samantha could've been compatible with a Smith type if he was at the end of his career- meaning he had made a name for himself as an actor (or whatever) and was with her when he wanted to be, but could be a part and it not be an issue. I find these types of relationships are more embraced by the "typical" person when they are older, their careers are established and if they had children, those children are raised. When you are sharing resources and caring for dependents, things are very enmeshed. It's different than if you are just looking for companionship and sex but without those "life building" elements.

Samantha was never looking for anyone to "share her life with"- her life was her life, and if someone wanted to be a part of it great, if they didnt, okay. I understand Samantha a lot- I am not as sexually adventurous as her (oh I wish though!) but we understand each other.

• Love 4

Samantha was never looking for anyone to "share her life with"- her life was her life, and if someone wanted to be a part of it great, if they didnt, okay

This is me.  When I was younger I had a child. Was a single mother for awhile then met a man who wanted to get married so I did.  After his death nine years ago my life is now my life and maybe I will want a man to be part of it and maybe I won't.   Samantha never needed a man. She was always self sufficient. Didn't want kids. Being "settled down" with someone just didn't suit her.  In my mind she is now living her best life someplace fabulous.

• Love 5
55 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

How could Miranda not be embarrassed walking next to this 

enhanced-buzz-4372-1370540192-6.jpg

5c953ff475d0c72dab727926.jpg

Every-Outfit-Sex-City-Instagram-Account.jpg

Patricia Field had this to say about that particular outfit of Carrie's.

Even without the belt, this lime-green-and-pale-pink outfit paired with a thistle headpiece is a lot to take in. Even the show's costume designer Patricia Field later admitted this outfit was a bit of a miss.

"The show ran for six years and there were about 24 episodes a season, so that's a lot of outfits, but I only have one where I look at it and say, 'Eh,'" Field told Repeller. "She was wearing a skirt and a crop top, and I threw a belt around her ... waist."

Even when I did it I was hesitant, but I think Sarah Jessica liked it, so I went ahead and kept it on," she continued. "But when I saw it later I thought it was just obnoxious. I should have slung the belt a little lower."

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

The real question is how could Carrie not be embarrassed wearing this.

but I only have one where I look at it and say, 'Eh,'

Only one, Patricia?

• LOL 4

enhanced-buzz-4372-1370540192-6.jpg

5c953ff475d0c72dab727926.jpg

Every-Outfit-Sex-City-Instagram-Account.jpg

If Carrie wanted to do a bare mid-drift, that blouse could've worked with a pencil skirt or skinny jeans, NO belt over her mid-drift.

6 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

a1f2fbd41a4024c7a560d1f3c559061f.jpgsex-and-the-city-bad-outfits-12.jpg?qual53a06218313af_-_cos-15-carrie-pink-de.jpcarrie-ringmaster_l.jpg

The first outfit looks like it was laundry day and she just threw on some mismatched clothes to grab food delivery or a package outside. 

59 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I found a nice, sexy outfit on Charlotte from "Change of a Dress" Season 4

Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 10.47.32 AM-2.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 10.46.45 AM2.png

Charlotte wore a lot of nice clothes. Her style is more my style (aesthetically) but I wear more bright colors like Samantha did. Carrie looked really good in that white gown. Its hard to do white and it not look bridal, that gown could've been a bridal gown but it didnt scream bridal.

• Love 2
(edited)

I legitimately do not remember this.  Based on her face and hair I guess one of the movies?

If so, maybe Patricia Field was paying tribute to this Donna Karan from Season 2

53a06218313af_-_cos-15-carrie-pink-de.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 11.57.34 AM.png

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

that gown could've been a bridal gown but it didnt scream bridal.

Aidan might disagree with you ;)

If so, maybe Patricia Field was paying tribute to this Donna Karan from Season 2

The Donna Karan dress was quite and looked good on Carrie. The other mess...not so much.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

He did mention she had the gorgeous white dress on. It was a gorgeous white dress!

Yes but that's also the night he tried to force her into marriage 😁

4 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

I hated this outfit. Nothing worked. I love heels as much as Carrie but you don't wear heels when you walk a dog.

image.thumb.png.6c629d0e32f9ea75c5ba5e66b4c960cf.png

I think this is the scene where Big demands to see her even though she's living with Aidan.

She makes an excuse that she's going to walk Pete so she can go downstairs so she can talk to Big.

THEN SHE LOSES THE DOG.  (HORRIBLE!)

So I give Pat Field a pass .......  she was trying to be cutesy here like Carrie threw this on..... I think.....

• Love 3
Just now, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yes but that's also the night he tried to force her into marriage 😁

Yes yes I remember.

4 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

I hated this outfit. Nothing worked. I love heels as much as Carrie but you don't wear heels when you walk a dog.

image.thumb.png.6c629d0e32f9ea75c5ba5e66b4c960cf.png

Yeah this would've been fine with some flat sandals, but an athletic shoe wouldve been better given the style of the shorts.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I found a nice, sexy outfit on Charlotte from "Change of a Dress" Season 4

Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 10.47.32 AM-2.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 10.46.45 AM2.png

Charlotte is one of the best dressed TV characters ever imo. 

I know Carrie's style was eccentric, but I loved that about her too. 

• Love 4