Type keyword(s) to search

Sex And The City - General Discussion

Message added by Black Knight,

The HBO sequel series, And Just Like That, has its own forum here.

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think this is the scene where Big demands to see her even though she's living with Aidan.

She makes an excuse that she's going to walk Pete so she can go downstairs so she can talk to Big.

THEN SHE LOSES THE DOG.  (HORRIBLE!)

So I give Pat Field a pass .......  she was trying to be cutesy here like Carrie threw this on..... I think.....

I know! I could not believe she lost Aidan's dog. He was way more understanding than many people would've been. And then her wanting to go talk to Big. 

For the record she wasnt living with Aidan, he was just visiting her to hang out, they dont move in together until the second time around. Carrie's outfit actually makes sense for a summer day just chilling in the house with her boyfriend. SJP had really nice legs, so those short shorts were killer.

Was this before or after Aidan was gone for the weekend to deliver furniture and Big & Carrie where held up in her apartment when Natasha was somewhere?

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

How could Miranda not be embarrassed walking next to this 

enhanced-buzz-4372-1370540192-6.jpg

5c953ff475d0c72dab727926.jpg

Every-Outfit-Sex-City-Instagram-Account.jpg

6 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

Patricia Field had this to say about that particular outfit of Carrie's.

Even without the belt, this lime-green-and-pale-pink outfit paired with a thistle headpiece is a lot to take in. Even the show's costume designer Patricia Field later admitted this outfit was a bit of a miss.

"The show ran for six years and there were about 24 episodes a season, so that's a lot of outfits, but I only have one where I look at it and say, 'Eh,'" Field told Repeller. "She was wearing a skirt and a crop top, and I threw a belt around her ... waist."

Even when I did it I was hesitant, but I think Sarah Jessica liked it, so I went ahead and kept it on," she continued. "But when I saw it later I thought it was just obnoxious. I should have slung the belt a little lower."

5 hours ago, Hiyo said:

The real question is how could Carrie not be embarrassed wearing this.

Only one, Patricia?

It was like Carrie was thinking "how can I draw more attention to my amazing abs...a bare midriff just isn't enough".

• Love 2
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

It was like Carrie was thinking "how can I draw more attention to my amazing abs...a bare midriff just isn't enough".

You mean SJP thinking how can I draw more attention to my amazing abs.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
(edited)

Everyone's "favourite" episode Ring a Ding Ding came on my HBO channel last night.

Aidan gives Carrie 30 days to decide what to do with her apartment.  Couldn't he have given her a bit more time?  He knows she has no money.  It's hilarious that Carrie thought Aidan was giving her a goodbye love letter and instead it was her eviction notice.  LOL

Sam, Charlotte, and Miranda all say they own their real estate.  No wonder Samantha had to pay $7000/month to live in the Meat Packing District.  I thought that was rent!  I guess that's her mortgage.

Oh god, Carrie thinks she's so cute.  She goes to a shoe store, asks to try on several pairs of shoes and then says No matter what don't let me buy any of these!  These people live on commission..... 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
37 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Sam, Charlotte, and Miranda all say they own their real estate. 

They also manage their money better.

37 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Oh god, Carrie thinks she's so cute.  She goes to a shoe store, asks to try on several pairs of shoes and then says No matter what don't let me buy any of these!  These people live on commission..... 

Yep. She thought it was OK to waste the salesperson's time when they could have been helping other customers and making sales.  I don't know if the writer's intended to highlight Carrie's faults this season but they certainly did. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Also when Charlotte says she's being a docent at an art gallery, Carrie says that she can do that too.   Uhhhh.  Isn't Charlotte highly educated?  I know she has a degree in Art and Finance, at least.  

I really, really hate that Charlotte gave Carrie the ring only because Carrie bullied her into it.  She would never have done it otherwise.

What kind of "friend" tries to make a friend feel guilty about getting divorced?   Carrie tells the bank loan person that her fiance left her "as if that already wasn't traumatizing enough."  Who cares?  Banks don't give you a loan for being dumped.  How is that not more traumatizing than A DIVORCE?  Yet Carrie has zero sympathy for Charlotte and even robs her of $30K or a precious memento of her life when she is down!

And even if Carrie has $30,000 for a down payment, that's just the down payment!!  What about the mortgage?  Could it possibly be as low as her rent?  She said it was $750 before the building went co-op.

Carrie's realtor is AWESOME.  LOL.  She does not find Carrie charming or cute at all.  

That's the closet? Where do the shoes go?
You get one of those racks that hang on the door.
I'll hang myself on a door if I have to live here. Do I smell curry?
There's an Indian restaurant downstairs.
Delia, I ask you, how can this apartment be $2,800 a month? I pay $750 for something that's twice the size. It don't smell like takeout.
You have a rent-controlled apartment. I suggest you stay there.
Unfortunately, that's really not an option. What other shit holes are you showing me today?
I have to be honest. With your attitude and price limitations, I think you should consider Weehawken.

God, Carrie is rude.  I'm going to look up Weehawken now and picture Carrie living there.

I like how when Carrie says that she and Aidan broke up, Big says "Why didn't you call me?"  That's nice.  It could be for ulterior motives, but it's still nice to hear.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Everyone's "favourite" episode Ring a Ding Ding came on my HBO channel last night.

Aidan gives Carrie 30 days to decide what to do with her apartment.  Couldn't he have given her a bit more time?  He knows she has no money.  It's hilarious that Carrie thought Aidan was giving her a goodbye love letter and instead it was her eviction notice.  LOL

Sam, Charlotte, and Miranda all say they own their real estate.  No wonder Samantha had to pay $7000/month to live in the Meat Packing District.  I thought that was rent!  I guess that's her mortgage.

3 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

They also manage their money better.

Yep. She thought it was OK to waste the salesperson's time when they could have been helping other customers and making sales.  I don't know if the writer's intended to highlight Carrie's faults this season but they certainly did. 

I don't know why the writer's thought that extreme financial irresponsibility and entitlement were supposed to make Carrie cute and endearing.

I loved that the other women had fun but at the end of the day had all their shit together.

Carrie having to move out of her fantastic apartment, sell some of her fabulous shoes, and then build herself up again would have been a great development for the character.

She definitely had champagne tastes on a beer budget.

• Love 7
(edited)

I know someone who was team Carrie regarding the ring, but that’s one episode everyone here agrees Carrie had some major nerve. She should have sold some of her own belongings. The confrontation and shaming of Charlotte were messed up. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, qtpye said:

Carrie having to move out of her fantastic apartment, sell some of her fabulous shoes, and then build herself up again would have been a great development for the character.

Wow, you're a much better writer than the show's!  That would actually be a very modern storyline, especially for them.  She could do it online, Ebay etc., people totally did stuff like that back then.

1 hour ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

How much was Charlotte's ring worth anyway? Exactly what Carrie needed?

Carrie needed $30,000 for the down payment and Charlotte handed over the ring.  It's implied that they were equal.

Here's the dialogue from Charlotte and the jeweller:

Charlotte: This ring is worth a lot.

Jeweller: Tiffany. 2.17 carats, platinum setting.  Beautiful cut, very few inclusions. So, what do you want to do with it?

• Love 3
(edited)
7 hours ago, qtpye said:

I don't know why the writer's thought that extreme financial irresponsibility and entitlement were supposed to make Carrie cute and endearing.

I loved that the other women had fun but at the end of the day had all their shit together.

There were a lot of things about Carrie we were supposed to find cute and endearing that were awful and annoying.

Exactly! They all knew how to adult. 

Agree. I would have loved to see that.

For sure. As much as I love beautiful things, and I admit, it's 100% easier to be beautiful and stylish with more $, you can dress super cute without spending a fortune. You can also buy everything designer and look awful. It's a matter of taste and studying what looks good on you. Time helps too. You do have to spend a little extra time looking for cute things when you're on a budget than when you spend like Carrie. 

Carrie literally had the best body for clothes. She was short enough to wear juniors clothing. She was thin enough that super flattering designer cuts weren't really necessary. That's one reason to buy designer-more flattering fits. Carrie would have looked cute wearing Forever 21 dresses and Aldo shoes. Maybe she wouldn't look rich, but who cares. Save money. Having a roof over your head should be priority over endless Manolos. I'm a woman who likes to look good, and I admit that I'm not the most thrifty. But I think you can splurge and be responsible. Let's say Carrie just got a gig at Vogue, celebrate with some Vogue worthy attire. Perhaps Big wants to spoil Carrie, ask for some shoes. Don't just spend everything you earn on footwear. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think 30 days was fair. It wasnt 30 days to close, but 30 days to make a decision, then he would have to put the place on the market or they would make arrangements to sell etc. At that point Aidan was paying a monthly mortgage on a place he wasnt living in and Carrie wasnt paying anything. He wasnt her boyfriend any more, I thought it was fair.

@RealHousewife and @qtpye yes. I dont begrudge Carrie her frivolous spending, she was an adult without dependents, but the EXCESS. Its not that she bought $400 shoes, is that she had 100 pairs of them. Not 3 or 4 (plus other shoes) but 100!! All those years she was in a rent controlled apartment she didn't save? 

I think Charlotte should've never given her the ring. If Charlotte wanted to get rid of the ring she could have and then used the money for something she was passionate about, or given it to an art charity or something. Carrie is not a charitable organization. Charlotte was under no obligation to offer her tens of thousands of dollars. It's not as if Carrie forgot her wallet and asked you to cover her dinner.

• Love 5
(edited)

Charlotte was also told that she only had 15% chance of conceiving so it would have made way more sense to save that money for fertility treatments.  Or maybe a surrogate. She also was very open to adopting by the time she and Trey broke up. I know that she "had money" in the form of her apartment, but that was where she lived and planned to stay.

Charlotte ALSO said in the same episode that she was finding it hard to find paying work and had to volunteer.  She should not have been giving away $30K to someone who was so financially irresponsible.

There's that line about Kramer from "Seinfeld" - "He falls ass backwards into money."  That's Carrie.

With the way Carrie yelled at Charlotte for keeping her ring and called her out at dinner in front of all their friends to say she didn't have to pay for her apartment, I could totally see somebody bringing up the loan 5-10 years from that point and Carrie once again arguing that she didn't have to pay Charlotte back because Charlotte was handed that money anyway.

It makes no sense for Carrie to think she's entitled to Charlotte's ring, especially after insisting Aidan take back HIS ring.  Why is she entitled to Charlotte's ring more than Aidan's?

If the ring and apartment are not really Charlotte's true possessions, according to Carrie, then how does it make any logical sense that Carrie should get to enjoy the fruit of that money rather than Charlotte?

She is a real and true master manipulator.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

There's that line about Kramer from "Seinfeld" - "He falls ass backwards into money."  That's Carrie.

Yes. Things always seemed to work out for her.

20 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I could totally see somebody bringing up the loan 5-10 years from that point and Carrie once again arguing that she didn't have to pay Charlotte back because Charlotte was handed that money anyway.

We never heard about the loan again did we?  Are we to assume she paid Charlotte back off camera? Because if she didn't and Carrie got that big book advance check and didn't pay her back then she is even a shittier person than I thought.

21 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It makes no sense for Carrie to think she's entitled to Charlotte's ring, especially after insisting Aidan take back HIS ring.  Why is she entitled to Charlotte's ring more than Aidan's?

Also Carrie seemed to think Charlotte got lucky or something to get the apartment.  But Carrie was shocked Aidan wasn't giving her the apartment he paid for. 

23 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

She is a real and true master manipulator.

Carrie would be deeply wounded you thought so poorly of her but it's true.  I don't think there was any malice intent but she wasn't above twisting the screws to get what she wanted.  

• Love 4

We never heard about the loan again did we?  Are we to assume she paid Charlotte back off camera?

Don't forget, 2 or 3 episodes later she buys yet another pair of expensive shoes for her and Big's last night together in NYC before he went to Nappa. Way to go on your new financial sensibility, Carrie.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, ifionlyknew said:

We never heard about the loan again did we?  Are we to assume she paid Charlotte back off camera? Because if she didn't and Carrie got that big book advance check and didn't pay her back then she is even a shittier person than I thought.

I've already made this statement in this thread but it is my belief that there is no way she paid it back :)  I am 500% sure about this 😄  We all know how Carrie is, and Charlotte made it clear that she HATES talking about money and she HATES mixing friendship with money.  Which again makes it terrible how Carrie manipulated her into this.

Also Carrie seemed to think Charlotte got lucky or something to get the apartment.  But Carrie was shocked Aidan wasn't giving her the apartment he paid for. 

THAT'S SO TRUE

I Googled some articles about this episode:

https://filmschoolrejects.com/eleven-years-later-the-worst-episode-of-sex-and-the-city-still-enrages-a811139862e5/

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a840905/sex-and-the-city-writer-defends-carrie-bradshaw-controversial-spending-money-ring-a-ding-ding/

YEAH RIGHT CARRIE PAID IT BACK HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA.  And even if she did, CHARLOTTE STILL LOST THE RING THAT SHE LOVED!  That's her prerogative!   She should have kept it.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5

Amy Harris, has spoken out about Carrie's unrealistic champagne lifestyle on a lemonade income.

Lemonade income? Try water with a slice of lemon.

"Carrie learned a lesson. I do believe she sat down every month and wrote Charlotte a cheque."

The write is as delusional as Carrie, because out of all the women Carrie never learned a damn thing.

"Money is a tricky, complicated thing. Carrie spent it well on things she enjoyed, and luckily it all worked out well for her – I love happy endings."

It's not tricky, and it's not complicated. Carrie lived beyond her means, and the only reason she got her happy ending was because the plot contrivance fairy was feeling very generous to her on more than one occasion.

• Love 5

Also from the article:

"Sarah Jessica and I talked about this: we believe she [Carrie] paid her [Charlotte] back. It was a loan, not a gift, so she did have to learn to save a little, to not spend everything on shoes and clothes.

If that is true then why didn't they throw in a line in a later episode saying that?  And I saw no evidence of her learning one single thing.  The writers finally wised up and gave her a way to actually make enough money to fund her lifestyle with the book deal.  

And this:

"In my mind, she had to acknowledge all the shit choices she'd made and the fact that she hadn't saved a penny and that was a big mistake, and so she was living with that.

So any growth Carrie had we are supposed to just assume it happened instead of actually seeing it.  Sure.

• Love 5

If Carrie paid Charlotte back, it was probably out of her first book advance. A large chunk of money that she wasn't expecting to just get it out of the way. I do not believe that Carrie sat down, made a monthly budget and added a repayment to Charlotte as one of her "bills". Any money from her Vogue freelance job probably went to HOA fees (do they have HOAs in a co-op? I would assume so, just like a condo association).

• Love 3
(edited)

There's also property tax.  There's a lot of costs involved with owning a home instead of renting.  If the show was realistic they'd have Carrie deal with those things instead of having her scream at a friend every time she needs money.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
26 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

If Carrie paid Charlotte back, it was probably out of her first book advance. A large chunk of money that she wasn't expecting to just get it out of the way. I do not believe that Carrie sat down, made a monthly budget and added a repayment to Charlotte as one of her "bills". Any money from her Vogue freelance job probably went to HOA fees (do they have HOAs in a co-op? I would assume so, just like a condo association).

Agree. I can't see Carrie budgeting like that. 

• Love 2
(edited)
39 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I did find Carrie incredibly charming and cute much of the time, but she was also often a self-involved pain in the ass. 

35 Reasons Carrie was annoying!

https://stylecaster.com/reasons-i-think-carrie-bradshaw-is-annoying/

I agree with some of their stuff, but definitely not all

Here:

She doesn’t leave Aleksander’s apartment after he yells at her and her friends.
She declines Charlotte’s offer to share a cab uptown and sleeps in the Russian’s bed alone after he barks at her friends that he’s too busy to say hello. That’s just pathetic.

It's HIS place.  Didn't Carrie bring all of her friends to his place completely unexpectedly?  And he was in the middle of working.  And I think he said the most polite thing possible like, make yourself at home and do whatever you want (just let me work and leave me alone).

I don't recall him yelling at anyone!

If someone unexpectedly brought 3 friends to my apartment I wouldn't even be that nice.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It's HIS place.  Didn't Carrie bring all of her friends to his place completely unexpectedly?  And he was in the middle of working.  And I think he said the most polite thing possible like, make yourself at home and do whatever you want (just let me work and leave me alone).

I don't recall him yelling at anyone!

If someone unexpectedly brought 3 friends to my apartment I wouldn't even be that nice.

Yeah if I recall, he already told Carrie he couldnt socialize with them and she brought them anyway. He then said "hello, I need to work, make yourself at home." and closed the door. I dont recall him yelling or anything like that.

• Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yeah if I recall, he already told Carrie he couldnt socialize with them and she brought them anyway. He then said "hello, I need to work, make yourself at home." and closed the door. I dont recall him yelling or anything like that.

I think Carrie expected everyone to be all friendliness and smiles 24/7 no matter what. She was pushy per usual IRC. That was one of Carrie's most annoying traits. She was very pushy about getting her way. She was pushy when it came to Aleks, Big, Aidan, Charlotte, pushy, pushy, pushy all the time. It's not your world Carrie. Other people's comfort, feelings, and problems matter too. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

I think Carrie expected everyone to be all friendliness and smiles 24/7 no matter what. 

And then when Aidan treated her really well and was always available she didn't like that either 🙄

Let me get this straight Carrie, in your world, the woman whose husband you stole should be nice to you, and your boyfriend should be mean and aloof.  Ok great

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

And then when Aidan treated her really well and was always available she didn't like that either 🙄

Let me get this straight Carrie, in your world, the woman whose husband you stole should be nice to you, and your boyfriend should be mean and aloof.  Ok great

I know, what did she want from Natasha?

"I totally understand why you cheated on your man with my husband. I'm just an idiot stick figure with no soul, and you are the most charming, irresistible woman in New York. Big was never really mine. It was messed up of me to chase you down the stairs when I found you half-dressed in my own home. I overreacted. I should have offered you a top to wear and made you a cup of tea. Thank you for getting me to the hospital when I busted my lip and lost a tooth. You were a real doll."

• LOL 7

Charlotte wants to give a speech too.

"Thank you Carrie.  Thank you for robbing me of my ring.  How dare I keep one of the few beautiful things I have from this period of my life.  Who cares if Trey wanted me to have this ring and this apartment?  That's what his mouth said, but his eyes said "These gifts are for Carrie to buy more shoes".  I see that now.  You have made it clear.  Who cares if I'm jobless, divorced, and the only thing that I want in life is to have a family one day?  You really like that apartment.  That's important!  I don't need dreams.  I'm here to fund your dream - your dream of continuing to turn in one short column once a week and never ever taking the bus."  

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
(edited)

Glassdoor says average is $55000/year for PR in NYC and that's TODAY.  20 years ago it would have had to have been less, no?

Okay, if she was a PR MANAGER she'd make way more:

Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 11.39.05 PM.png

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Glassdoor says average is $55000/year for PR in NYC and that's TODAY.  20 years ago it would have had to have been less, no?

Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 11.39.05 PM.png

Yeah, there’s potential to make good money doing PR, but I think it’s more the exception. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

She owned her own company didn't she?

14 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Other people's comfort, feelings, and problems matter too. 

They do but for Carrie her feelings and problems were just so much more important. Remember her thinking her and Big were over because she farted in front of him? There were times I felt sorry for her.  Seeing Big with Natasha at the Hamptons party and in the diner after nobody showed up for her birthday party.  She told her friends how alone she felt.

Carrie (V.O.): The longer I sat at that table the more alone I felt and it really hit me, I am thirty-five and alone.

Miranda: You are not alone.

Carrie: No, I know I have you guys. I hate myself a little for saying this but… it felt really sad not to have a man in my life who cares about me. No special guy to wish me happy birthday. No goddamn soulmate… and I don’t even know if I believe in soulmates.

Charlotte: Don’t laugh at me but maybe we could be each other’s soulmates. And then we could let men be just these great nice guys to have fun with.
Samantha: Wow, that sounds like a plan.

Carrie: I’m thirty-five, thirty-five is not twenty-five.

Miranda: Thank, god!

Samantha: Oh, Shut the fuck up, I’m a hundred and forty.

I could deal with that Carrie.

13 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

And then when Aidan treated her really well and was always available she didn't like that either 

I am no psychologist but I think on some level Carrie didn't think she deserved to be treated well.  Her dad left her and her mother when she was young. The push/pull with Big was probably something she was more familiar with.

13 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Carrie wanted people to like her. She didn't like when people thought poorly of her.  We all remember her tracking Nina Katz down so she could explain her side of thing regarding Aidan.   Also I'm sure she didn't want Natasha telling everyone what happened.  But if Carrie was as well known as we were expected to believe wouldn't that scandal have hit the gossip columns in the NYC papers?

• Love 3
(edited)

I am no psychologist but I think on some level Carrie didn't think she deserved to be treated well.  Her dad left her and her mother when she was young. The push/pull with Big was probably something she was more familiar with.

I agree, I make fun of it, but at the same time, the writers did a good job of showing this.  It all made sense.  It wasn't "right" how she treated Aidan, but the writers did a good job of laying the groundwork.

Also, Charlotte called her out "Now we're rejecting men for being TOO AVAILABLE".  So that was good.

Then Charlotte says unmarried women are dysfunctional and tries to hang out with married people and of course the first husband she tries hits on her 😁

Carrie wanted people to like her. She didn't like when people thought poorly of her.  We all remember her tracking Nina Katz down so she could explain her side of thing regarding Aidan.   Also I'm sure she didn't want Natasha telling everyone what happened.  But if Carrie was as well known as we were expected to believe wouldn't that scandal have hit the gossip columns in the NYC papers?

Maybe Natasha was classy enough or ashamed and didn't want to tell people.  Big certainly wouldn't.  Nina Katz was a known gossip but Natasha and her hot friend at that restaurant could have been different.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Maybe Natasha was classy enough or ashamed and didn't want to tell people.  Big certainly wouldn't.  Nina Katz was a known gossip but Natasha and her hot friend at that restaurant could have been different.

I could see Natasha telling her friends what happened with her husband and how she found Carrie in her house, I mean that is JUICY. But at the end of the day Natasha had other things to do. She had to deal with getting divorced, but given that it was a short marriage with no children she was probably happy that she got out when she did, she was certainly capable of finding someone else if she wanted.

With Aidan, I think at the end of the day Carrie JUST. DID. NOT. WANT. HIM. It didn't matter how well he treated her or what a good guy he was. She didnt want him! She wanted him to want her, and she wanted to be treated well, and she wanted to not be lonely etc, but she didn't want Aidan. Aidan was Carrie's "comfort boy" in a sense. I am glad he left her when he did, because he would've been taking care of everything financially for years, and Carrie never giving him the commitment he wanted (and also possibly leaving him for Big the second Big winked at her).

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
35 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

With Aidan, I think at the end of the day Carrie JUST. DID. NOT. WANT. HIM. It didn't matter how well he treated her or what a good guy he was. She didnt want him! She wanted him to want her, and she wanted to be treated well, and she wanted to not be lonely etc, but she didn't want Aidan. Aidan was Carrie's "comfort boy" in a sense. I am glad he left her when he did, because he would've been taking care of everything financially for years, and Carrie never giving him the commitment he wanted (and also possibly leaving him for Big the second Big winked at her).

Did she consciously know she didn't want Aidan?  Probably not.  Big had hurt her deeply and I think she thought a nice guy would be good for her.  Aside from the fact he was a nice guy they were not a good match.   The first time she cheated was one thing.  You could strike it up to she got caught up in the moment and made a very bad decision. But she kept cheating on him.  My personal belief is she wanted out of the relationship and she didn't  want to be the one to pull the trigger. So she confessed to Aidan and he broke up with her.  I think the writers should  have left it at that. But they bring him back and have Carrie get even more seriously involved with him.  Was there a real life Aidan in Candace Bushnell's life?

Edited by ifionlyknew
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, ifionlyknew said:

Did she consciously know she didn't want Aidan?  Probably not.  Big had hurt her deeply and I think she thought a nice guy would be good for her.  Aside from the fact he was a nice guy they were not a good match.   The first time she cheated was one thing.  You could strike it up to she got caught up in the moment and made a very bad decision. But she kept cheating on him.  My personal belief is she wanted out of the relationship and she didn't  want to be the one to pull the trigger. So she confessed to Aidan and he broke up with her.  I think the writers should  have left it at that. But they bring him back and have Carrie get even more seriously involved with him.  Was there a real life Aidan in Candace Bushnell's life?

WIth most things, I give Carrie the benefit of the doubt the first time around. With the first time around with Aidan, she was wrong to cheat and she knew he was a great guy. (just not a good fit for her, but that is why you date people, to see if you fit)

The second time, she knew she didn't want him, but she was lonely and no one else had come along- asking him to take her back, well maybe not so great, but Aidan had agency there. However as their second go around progressed, and she knew she wasn't going to cut Big out of her life, and she also knew Aidan wanted to get married and have children, she KNEW she didn't want him, but was going to keep him around as long as she could. (until he pressed marriage and eventually left her)

The stereotype is that men do that- have a woman they know loves them, and they are not mean or cruel to them, and they do enjoy them, but they know they don't want to be with them long term, and just keep them around as long as possible to meet their emotional and sexual needs. Women do it too, Carrie did it with Aidan.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
15 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Charlotte wants to give a speech too.

"Thank you Carrie.  Thank you for robbing me of my ring.  How dare I keep one of the few beautiful things I have from this period of my life.  Who cares if Trey wanted me to have this ring and this apartment?  That's what his mouth said, but his eyes said "These gifts are for Carrie to buy more shoes".  I see that now.  You have made it clear.  Who cares if I'm jobless, divorced, and the only thing that I want in life is to have a family one day?  You really like that apartment.  That's important!  I don't need dreams.  I'm here to fund your dream - your dream of continuing to turn in one short column once a week and never ever taking the bus."  

Oh, how I wish Charlotte had the guts to say that instead of letting Carrie make her feel guilty for not offering to lend her the money. Charlotte was right the first time: it was not her responsibility to manage her finance or even OFFER to do it. Just because Miranda and Samantha didn't mind enabling her doesn't mean she had to. 

And the fact that Carrie expected to be coddled while at the same time making Charlotte feel like an idiot for keeping her ring?! Wooooow. That was just mean. I'm sure there are tons of divorced women that can't help feeling sentimental about their rings. I mean, common sense dictates that you should pawn it at some point but only when you're ready to.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Lets be honest, Natasha had every right to trash Carrie to whomever she wanted to. It isn't like Natasha owed Carrie anything.

Absolutely. 

Just now, Spartan Girl said:

Just because Miranda and Samantha didn't mind enabling her doesn't mean she had to. 

Miranda was about to have a baby as a single parent. She had NO BUSINESS offering Carrie anything other than money for a cup of coffee. Yes Steve had a responsibility to his child, and he was going to be involved, but Miranda made 3-4x as much as he did (most likely). She was the primary earner to support this baby, what if something happened to her or the baby and she needed that money? At least Carrie had enough moral fortitude to tell her that she could not take her money.

If Samantha wanted to offer, okay- she had it, and didnt have anyone else depending on her. I would've been way more comfortable taking the money from Samantha than Charlotte (who still wasn't employed!)

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

Hmm, interesting theory.

The second time around, Carrie did get kind of domesticated and was acting better - EXCEPT FOR any time Big had a crisis and needed to rant to her about Willow.  Carrie's attention on him was crazy.  Was she even giving her girlfriends that kind of attention?  NO.  So yeah, she wasn't a good partner the second time around either.

34 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

However as their second go around progressed, and she knew she wasn't going to cut Big out of her life, and she also knew Aidan wanted to get married and have children, she KNEW she didn't want him, but was going to keep him around as long as she could. (until he pressed marriage and eventually left her)

Good point.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

And the fact that Carrie expected to be coddled while at the same time making Charlotte feel like an idiot for keeping her ring?! Wooooow. That was just mean. I'm sure there are tons of divorced women that can't help feeling sentimental about their rings. I mean, common sense dictates that you should pawn it at some point but only when you're ready to.

I will never get over this storyline.  Ever.  😄

5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Miranda was about to have a baby as a single parent. She had NO BUSINESS offering Carrie anything other than money for a cup of coffee. Yes Steve had a responsibility to his child, and he was going to be involved, but Miranda made 3-4x as much as he did (most likely). She was the primary earner to support this baby, what if something happened to her or the baby and she needed that money? At least Carrie had enough moral fortitude to tell her that she could not take her money.

I just hate how Carrie had different rules for her different friends.  It's bullshit!  Charlotte wanted to have kids one day too.  It's like that "Right to Shoes" episode where her friend shames her for spending money on shoes and Carrie doesn't want to be judged.  I'm on Carrie's side there, but Carrie is a total hypocrite trying to shame Charlotte.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
(edited)

I just loved how the writers justified Carrie ring-shaming Charlotte with the whole “Charlotte judges Carrie way too much, she got to judge her about the affair but she doesn’t get to judge her about her financial situation.” 🙄🙄🙄🙄

Also, Carrie, most women don’t buy shoes that pinch their feet!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I just loved how the writers justified Carrie ring-shaming Charlotte with the whole “Charlotte judges Carrie way too much, she got to judge her about the affair but she doesn’t get to judge her about her financial situation.” 🙄🙄🙄🙄

Also, Carrie, most women don’t buy shoes that pinch their feet!

Wearing any kind of heel is really not best for your feet, but buying shoes that don't fit? Extra bad.

• Love 4

Really, it would have made more sense for Carrie to just keep Aidan’s ring and hock it…that might have been why he was so insistent on letting her have it before she made him keep it…but you know what, screw it, Carrie doesn’t even deserve that bit of charity from him. I hope he got all of his money back.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Really, it would have made more sense for Carrie to just keep Aidan’s ring and hock it…that might have been why he was so insistent on letting her have it before she made him keep it…but you know what, screw it, Carrie doesn’t even deserve that bit of charity from him. I hope he got all of his money back.

Yes. Aidan knew she didn’t have any money, and the ring was worth a lot. But Carrie was so impractical she wasn’t thinking. 

Now in any other scenario I would say yes, the best thing to do is to give back the engagement ring- but Carrie needed the money. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Aidan was kind of crazy to buy that apartment.  It's like the thought didn't even enter his brain that Carrie didn't want to be with him forever.  And Carrie was kind of crazy to let him.  She was really not thinking.

It's annoying that it worked out for her in the end so easily, because that's so not realistic.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1