Type keyword(s) to search

Sex And The City - General Discussion

Message added by Black Knight,

The HBO sequel series, And Just Like That, has its own forum here.

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Avabelle said:

I actually loved how the show ended. It was the movies that depressed the shit out of me. 

I understand his point of view. There were a lot of fans that felt the same way. That the show was saying the ultimate goal for a woman is to find love.  As a viewer of this particular show I enjoyed all four being happily coupled.  Well less so with Miranda but whatever.    But as a woman I wasn't thrilled with that message.   When I watched the finale when it originally aired I was happy Carrie ended up with Big.  But upon repeated rewatches I am less happy.  Especially knowing what happens in the movies.   She screams at him before she leaves for Paris but then once in Paris and realizing things aren't working with Alek she is happy to see Big.  Her knight swooping in to save her.  I might  have found it romantic back in 2004 but now I think Jesus can Carrie ever stand on her own two feet.

• Love 9

I think it’s challenging to straddle that line between realism and the potential fluff that comes with a happy ever after story. I try to give the show a pass on the frothy, pretty, happy ending they put together because I think that’s what the show developed into. 

I don’t consider this to be groundbreaking television. It could be fun, it could be irritating, it certainly provided eye candy if you’re into fashion. There was nothing really outstanding about the show-it was good, entertaining television but it wasn’t great. I didn’t like the series ending because it vilified Alek (pretty suddenly, too), turned Big into a savior, and ultimately (I thought) minimized Carrie. It was really her last shot (that we would see) for her growing up and taking control and responsibility for her life. Instead... no. Just more of the same Carrie stuff. And really, that is in keeping with what the show turned into, so from that perspective it was realistic. 

Maybe the biggest disappointment of the finale was that all the women expected Big to be the one to “save” Carrie from Alek’s evil clutches. I expected that from Charlotte but not Miranda and Samantha. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9248127/Kim-Cattralls-absence-Sex-City-reboot-explained-fading-friendship-women.html

From the article and HBO exec says explaining Samantha's absence from the revial

Just as in real life, people come into your life, people leave,'  HBO Max chief content officer Casey Bloys told TVLine Wednesday. 'Friendships fade, and new friendships start.'

So only Samantha moved on from their friendships?  In other words they aren't going to mention her at all.

I would hope there’s a throwaway line about Samantha, something along the lines maybe referring to Smith’s career or even a text message or Instagram post or something. That’s the least they can do out of respect to the character, the actress and the fans that appreciated her.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

So only Samantha moved on from their friendships?  In other words they aren't going to mention her at all.

I don't see that it means that. I expect there'll be a little bit on the show about how Sam moved somewhere else - LA probably - and eventually the distance led to a fading of the friendships with the other three.

It's really the best explanation IMO because I'd rather they not kill off Sam, but to say she's still one of the best friends would be problematic when she won't be there for whatever major events might be happening to the other women. There are some things for which "oh, just talked to her on the phone" doesn't work very well. Friendships do sometimes fade when someone moves elsewhere. I can especially see it here because so much of the group friendship involved the women spending a ton of time together. When three continue to do so and the other is building a new social circle for herself across the country, distancing is natural. The last movie was 11 years ago - if Sam moved away not long after that, that is more than enough time for the friendships to have gradually gone from super-close to close to occasional to a card at holiday time.

• Love 4

Really, they just grew apart?? That is a real slap in the face of the show and, hell, even the movies. The whole mythology of SATC was the enduring power of female friendship. I don't particularly how how realistic it is or isn't in real life to grow apart - that's not what this show is about. A throwaway line about how happy and busy Sam is in L.A. or wherever would be more than sufficient to explain her absence.

• Love 7
17 hours ago, Maysie said:

I would hope there’s a throwaway line about Samantha, something along the lines maybe referring to Smith’s career or even a text message or Instagram post or something. That’s the least they can do out of respect to the character, the actress and the fans that appreciated her.

14 hours ago, CleoCaesar said:

Really, they just grew apart?? That is a real slap in the face of the show and, hell, even the movies. The whole mythology of SATC was the enduring power of female friendship. I don't particularly how how realistic it is or isn't in real life to grow apart - that's not what this show is about. A throwaway line about how happy and busy Sam is in L.A. or wherever would be more than sufficient to explain her absence.

Yes. If they do that then we will know they are still friends just don't see each other all the time.  But for that exec to say people just grow apart implies they are no longer friends.  I can only speak for myself but I have only "grown apart" from friends that either were never really close friends or friends who did something that caused me to want to leave the friendship.  

• Love 4

I think there's a very good chance that the series will open with Big's death, and involve Carrie learning to deal with that - that is after all what SJP wanted for the third movie, and Chris Noth isn't going to be part of the reboot. And they can't kill off Carrie's husband and not have Sam there if she's still a best friend. We don't know what might happen with Charlotte or Miranda, either. Maybe Big doesn't die, he and Carrie have just divorced offscreen five years before the premiere, but what if Harry or Brady or Steve have a medical crisis? What if Carrie or Charlotte or Miranda do? A mention of a phone call doesn't work well for any of that.

Part of my attitude comes from my years of watching soaps. Characters go offscreen, and viewers complain constantly about "How can so-and-so not be there right now when their beloved relative/friend is going through this?!" They do this even as they know that the actors are not on contract anymore, sometimes by the actor's choice. And it just ends up being very destructive to the offscreen character because they look like a bad friend and family member. That's one reason soaps have gone for killing off characters instead (especially since now bringing them back from the dead is also entirely routine). I don't want Sam killed off and I don't want her looking like someone who can't be bothered to catch a flight to NYC to be there for her best friend(s) during crisis X.

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

Yes. If they do that then we will know they are still friends just don't see each other all the time.  But for that exec to say people just grow apart implies they are no longer friends.  I can only speak for myself but I have only "grown apart" from friends that either were never really close friends or friends who did something that caused me to want to leave the friendship.  

I've definitely grown apart from some friends, but for me the process was either extremely gradual (like seeing them less in high school, then a little less in college, and less and less), and/or like you friends I wasn't that close with in the first place. Sometimes life happens. You evolve. People move. People get married and have kids. You just don't get together like you used to. But those friends who are like sisters will always have a special bond, even if there is space. I hate the phone, so I'm not the type to chit chat a lot, but despite that, with the friends who are like family, you always pick up where you left off like nothing. In my world, if Samantha had moved, was living it up in California with Smith, was very busy, and I had my own life in NYC, we'd still keep in touch and would drop anything to be there for each other if we could. We wouldn't have such blatant disregard for a friendship like that. I've had what you could call friendship flings, friends who say they love me early in the friendship (when I still see them as casual friends), friends who I'm only friends with due to mutual friends, etc. I have definitely grown apart from ladies like this where the friendship is pretty surface even if the other side pretends it's not. If you're someone I go back years with, share a ton of memories with, and haven't hurt me, I will cherish you no matter what. I don't believe in treating wonderful friends like they're forgettable and easy to replace. They're not. 

5 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I think there's a very good chance that the series will open with Big's death, and involve Carrie learning to deal with that - that is after all what SJP wanted for the third movie, and Chris Noth isn't going to be part of the reboot. And they can't kill off Carrie's husband and not have Sam there if she's still a best friend. We don't know what might happen with Charlotte or Miranda, either. Maybe Big doesn't die, he and Carrie have just divorced offscreen five years before the premiere, but what if Harry or Brady or Steve have a medical crisis? What if Carrie or Charlotte or Miranda do? A mention of a phone call doesn't work well for any of that.

Part of my attitude comes from my years of watching soaps. Characters go offscreen, and viewers complain constantly about "How can so-and-so not be there right now when their beloved relative/friend is going through this?!" They do this even as they know that the actors are not on contract anymore, sometimes by the actor's choice. And it just ends up being very destructive to the offscreen character because they look like a bad friend and family member. That's one reason soaps have gone for killing off characters instead (especially since now bringing them back from the dead is also entirely routine). I don't want Sam killed off and I don't want her looking like someone who can't be bothered to catch a flight to NYC to be there for her best friend(s) during crisis X.

It would be crazy if they kill not only one, but two characters. It's just too much.

I'm also a soap girl (DAYS), and that show takes it way too far with how often they kill off characters. I personally have no issue with a lot of the characters being off somewhere. Good writing can justify someone not being there without making assholes of everyone who's not a present cast member. 

I agree with you. I don't want Sam killed off nor made out to be a bad friend. Samantha loved the women and would not be so heartless. We'd need a good reason for her to not be there. Maybe she's out of the country? Maybe she's caring for a sick relative somewhere? I don't know, but I'm sure the writers could come up with a reason as to why she can't just drop things to be there for Carrie. 

5 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I had no idea that Chris Noth didn't want to be a part of SATC3.  I had no idea that Chris was dissatisfied with the movies.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/sex-and-the-city-chris-noth-hated-what-writers-did-to-his-relationship-with-carrie-bradshaw.html/

I had no idea either. Even though Big wasn't my favorite, I do like Chris. He's a wonderful actor and made Big quite charismatic. I will miss both him and Kim. 

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I don't know, but I'm sure the writers could come up with a reason as to why she can't just drop things to be there for Carrie. 

You have more faith than I do.  LOL  I'm inclined to believe they will do something to make Samantha look bad. Like botched plastic surgery or something.

18 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Even though Big wasn't my favorite, I do like Chris. He's a wonderful actor and made Big quite charismatic. I will miss both him and Kim. 

Upon multiple rewatches I find myself liking Big more but not with Carrie.  I think they had incredible chemistry but it was not a  healthy relationship.  And Chris Noth is great in every role. He played a philandering husband who was a disgraced politician on the Good Wife and he made viewers root for him.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, ifionlyknew said:

You have more faith than I do.  LOL  I'm inclined to believe they will do something to make Samantha look bad. Like botched plastic surgery or something.

Upon multiple rewatches I find myself liking Big more but not with Carrie.  I think they had incredible chemistry but it was not a  healthy relationship.  And Chris Noth is great in every role. He played a philandering husband who was a disgraced politician on the Good Wife and he made viewers root for him.

By could I mean they do not have to kill off characters or make them assholes. The possibilities are endless. 🙂 Do I have faith they'll write well? Sadly no. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

It would be crazy if they kill not only one, but two characters. It's just too much.

I'm totally with you.  I don't even want them to do it to 1 character.  I don't even like when characters are killed in my favourite DRAMAS let alone sitcoms/dramedies.   Would they kill (fill in the blank with your favourite sitcom character)?  You know what I mean?  YOU DON'T DO IT. 

1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

I had no idea either. Even though Big wasn't my favorite, I do like Chris. He's a wonderful actor and made Big quite charismatic. I will miss both him and Kim. 

Yup.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
On 2/6/2021 at 3:14 PM, Hiyo said:

“And Carrie realizes he was just unable to give what she wanted to her but was able to give it to this stick figure with no soul.”

I think in hindsight the real idiot stick figure with no soul was Carrie.

I always thought that was stupid. Carrie was skinnier than Natasha. 

• Love 4

Well, I started a rewatch this week, and I have already binged season one.  I was 17 years old when this show debuted, so I thought it would be an interesting experiment to rewatch it as a near-40 year old woman.  See if my opinions about the characters and situations have changed.  I haven't seen any of the movies, and I don't plan to.  I don't plan on tuning in for the reboot, either.

ANYWAY...I want to start by saying I don't hate Carrie.  I am annoyed with her a lot of the time, but I never hated her.  Every time she would do something that lost me, she would win me back with being a good friend, or going out of her way to help someone when she didn't have to.  HOWEVER. I was already super annoyed with her at the start of her relationship with Big.  Literally the episode right after Carrie asks Big to "stand still" with her and be exclusive, she is whining to Miranda about how they don't have wild sex anymore, and how they have sweet sex.  Carrie was supposed to be in her early 30's during the first season, I have a hard time believing that she wasn't aware that relationships go through phases, and the wild and crazy sex phase doesn't last forever.  It seemed like it was WAY TOO SOON for her to be saying that, though.  Like I said, they decided to be exclusive the episode right before this one.  When people say Carrie is high-maintenance and never satisfied, I totally get it.  And it started a lot earlier than I thought it did, because yikes, woman, slow your roll.

Other observations: I kind of wish they had kept the street interviews, but I don't miss Carrie's wide variety of friends from the first few episodes.  That didn't ring true, to me.  I know it's NYC, but it's like Carrie was buddies with every kind of person there was, and it felt so contrived.  I am not loving Samantha.  I still think the character is funny, but this time around, she is annoying me, greatly.  She constantly tries to fuck people, like it's a compulsion.  It's so weird.  I'm also not a fan of her cheesy, faux-sexy voice she uses with every interaction she has: "Yes, I think we would all love fresh pepper!".  Ugh.

I also hate Skipper, this time around.  I used to think he was cute, but now I have NO IDEA what Miranda sees in the dude, or what he sees in her (okay, he was probably attracted to the fact that she was a sexy older woman who strung him along, but moving on).  Miranda was so incredibly bitchy the first couple of episodes, but they toned her down without completely softening her after that, and I like her more now that I'm older.  I didn't dislike her the first time, but I definitely relate to her more now that I'm middle aged, with a mortgage, and a job that can be mentally and physically exhausting. I understand where she's coming from a *little* better.  Charlotte is Charlotte is Charlotte.  She's exasperating, but she knows what she wants, and she doesn't try to be someone she isn't.  I feel the same way about her that I did when I was 17.  I think it's because Kristin Davis played the character in a way that made Charlotte very believable, even when she was saying something very rigid and ridiculous.  I bought it.

And, yeah, I'm finding Big MUCH more attractive now that I'm older.  I still think he and Carrie are the worst communicators to ever exist in television history, but damn, Chris Noth was hot like FIRE, on this show.  He's also very funny, and I think Chris Noth's comedic presence is often overlooked.  I always liked Big's nonchalant, dry delivery.

So, yeah, those are my random observations on SatC.  I don't see the point in watching the reboot, especially without Samantha (I know I just said the character irritated me, but it just isn't the same show, without her).  I hate everything being resurrected after it's clear the writers/creators have completely run out of ideas.  Let stories END.  Is that such a bad thing?

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

.I want to start by saying I don't hate Carrie.  I am annoyed with her a lot of the time, but I never hated her. 

I don't think I started hating Carrie until the affair with Big. As much as the show wanted me to be sympathetic towards her, I ended up being on Team Natasha. And after that I tended to notice her less redeeming qualities more and more, and how much of a shitty friend she was overall.

I think it's because Kristin Davis played the character in a way that made Charlotte very believable, even when she was saying something very rigid and ridiculous.

Season 1 Charlotte is very interesting, she seems less rigid and more open. I can't imagine later seasons Charlotte having a one night stand/bootie call and/or allowing someone to paint her vagina and display it in an art gallery...

I also hate Skipper, this time around

Just this time around? lol

I still think he and Carrie are the worst communicators to ever exist in television history, but damn, Chris Noth was hot like FIRE, on this show.

The chemistry between CN and SJP is probably what carried (no pun there lol) Big and Carrie as a couple throughout the run of the show and the movies.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, Everina said:

Well, I started a rewatch this week, and I have already binged season one.  I was 17 years old when this show debuted, so I thought it would be an interesting experiment to rewatch it as a near-40 year old woman.  See if my opinions about the characters and situations have changed.  I haven't seen any of the movies, and I don't plan to.  I don't plan on tuning in for the reboot, either.

ANYWAY...I want to start by saying I don't hate Carrie.  I am annoyed with her a lot of the time, but I never hated her.  Every time she would do something that lost me, she would win me back with being a good friend, or going out of her way to help someone when she didn't have to.  HOWEVER. I was already super annoyed with her at the start of her relationship with Big.  Literally the episode right after Carrie asks Big to "stand still" with her and be exclusive, she is whining to Miranda about how they don't have wild sex anymore, and how they have sweet sex.  Carrie was supposed to be in her early 30's during the first season, I have a hard time believing that she wasn't aware that relationships go through phases, and the wild and crazy sex phase doesn't last forever.  It seemed like it was WAY TOO SOON for her to be saying that, though.  Like I said, they decided to be exclusive the episode right before this one.  When people say Carrie is high-maintenance and never satisfied, I totally get it.  And it started a lot earlier than I thought it did, because yikes, woman, slow your roll.

Other observations: I kind of wish they had kept the street interviews, but I don't miss Carrie's wide variety of friends from the first few episodes.  That didn't ring true, to me.  I know it's NYC, but it's like Carrie was buddies with every kind of person there was, and it felt so contrived.  I am not loving Samantha.  I still think the character is funny, but this time around, she is annoying me, greatly.  She constantly tries to fuck people, like it's a compulsion.  It's so weird.  I'm also not a fan of her cheesy, faux-sexy voice she uses with every interaction she has: "Yes, I think we would all love fresh pepper!".  Ugh.

I also hate Skipper, this time around.  I used to think he was cute, but now I have NO IDEA what Miranda sees in the dude, or what he sees in her (okay, he was probably attracted to the fact that she was a sexy older woman who strung him along, but moving on).  Miranda was so incredibly bitchy the first couple of episodes, but they toned her down without completely softening her after that, and I like her more now that I'm older.  I didn't dislike her the first time, but I definitely relate to her more now that I'm middle aged, with a mortgage, and a job that can be mentally and physically exhausting. I understand where she's coming from a *little* better.  Charlotte is Charlotte is Charlotte.  She's exasperating, but she knows what she wants, and she doesn't try to be someone she isn't.  I feel the same way about her that I did when I was 17.  I think it's because Kristin Davis played the character in a way that made Charlotte very believable, even when she was saying something very rigid and ridiculous.  I bought it.

And, yeah, I'm finding Big MUCH more attractive now that I'm older.  I still think he and Carrie are the worst communicators to ever exist in television history, but damn, Chris Noth was hot like FIRE, on this show.  He's also very funny, and I think Chris Noth's comedic presence is often overlooked.  I always liked Big's nonchalant, dry delivery.

So, yeah, those are my random observations on SatC.  I don't see the point in watching the reboot, especially without Samantha (I know I just said the character irritated me, but it just isn't the same show, without her).  I hate everything being resurrected after it's clear the writers/creators have completely run out of ideas.  Let stories END.  Is that such a bad thing?

Seems like we have similar views of the characters! I'm one of the few here who doesn't hate Carrie either. Definitely see the flaws, but still find har a charmer much of the time. Ditto what you said about the other characters too. I like Miranda, but as many great qualities as she has, she could be bitchy. Also like Samantha and found her funny as well, but they made her too over the top for my tastes. A beautiful single woman who loves sex has every bit the right to enjoy it as the next person, but they wrote her like it's all she cared about. You can also be a very sensual, sexual person but want to be cautious about the men you sleep with. I hesitate even giving my number out to strangers, so it's hard for me to relate to Samantha in that way. I agree that Charlotte could be exasperating, but her character did indeed feel more real to me too. Maybe that's why despite seeing a little bit of myself in all the characters, Carrie and Charlotte felt more relatable to me. I like to think I don't have most of Carrie's really bad qualities (her drama, cheating, and being the other woman to name a few), and I'm not someone super romantic either, but I like Carrie and Charlotte because their dispositions generally weren't abrasive or provocative. 

• Love 2
On 2/14/2021 at 7:50 PM, Everina said:

I am not loving Samantha.  I still think the character is funny, but this time around, she is annoying me, greatly.  She constantly tries to fuck people, like it's a compulsion.  It's so weird.  I'm also not a fan of her cheesy, faux-sexy voice she uses with every interaction she has: "Yes, I think we would all love fresh pepper!".  Ugh.

I think that's why I absolutely enjoy Samantha.  Because I know men like this, and men are always portrayed like this in popular culture, so I just love that it's a woman here.  But I get it.

I hate Skipper too.  He's awful.  He really looks like Tom Hanks to me though.  

I can totally see the attraction to Big even though it doesn't work on me specifically.  I think that the casting for him was pretty right.  

I adore Carrie in Seasons 1/2.  She still has her charm in the later seasons, but my honeymoon love for Carrie was over in Season 3 I think.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

A very beat up looking Tom Hanks.

Like, honestly, Skipper is the answer to the question of “What would Tom Hanks look like the day after a fist fight with Mike Tyson?”

Edited by Hiyo
  • LOL 8
17 hours ago, Hiyo said:

I don't think I started hating Carrie until the affair with Big. As much as the show wanted me to be sympathetic towards her, I ended up being on Team Natasha. And after that I tended to notice her less redeeming qualities more and more, and how much of a shitty friend she was overall.

I never thought the writers wanted me to be on Carrie's side during the affair, but I think I'm in the minority.  

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Everina said:

I never thought the writers wanted me to be on Carrie's side during the affair, but I think I'm in the minority.  

She paid a price by losing Aidan but then the writers made it seem like Natasha was a bitch for not wanting to listen to Carrie ask for forgiveness or explain herself or whatever she was trying to do. Carrie was never in the doghouse for very long.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
59 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

She paid a price by losing Aidan but then the writers made it seem like Natasha was a bitch for not wanting to listen to Carrie ask for forgiveness or explain herself or whatever she was trying to do. Carrie was never in the doghouse for very long.

I never saw it that way.  I don't think the writers ever wanted us to like Natasha, but I think were were meant to be on her side when she lays the smackdown on Carrie in the restaurant.  Of course, Carrie doesn't learn jackshit from it, because then she thinks about how much it sucks that succubus Natasha is single again, but I never saw it as Natasha being a huge bitch we were supposed to hate, in that scene.  I think they let her be the mouthpiece for every wife/monogamous woman in the audience.  That's just how I interpreted it, though.

• Love 4

Off topic, but this is bugging me so I thought I'd ask the experts here. I put on the first movie on Netflix. I haven't seen it in quite a while, but it's the type of lighthearted thing I like when I'm playing ball with the beagle.

Here's my question: Have they edited this movie for streaming? During the scene where they're going through Carrie's closet before she sells her apartment, I remember all the girls trying on her silly dresses, then Lily coming out holding a bunch of purses. But this time, it was only Carrie trying on a couple of dresses, concluding with the tutu one, and then the scene ended. Am I misremembering? Did this happen at another time? I swear it was then (because I recall thinking that it was ridiculous that the three other women could wear Carrie's clothes, as they're all taller and have different body types, and I like 80s Aerosmith). Help! Otherwise I really am losing it, lol.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, HawkeyeLo said:

Off topic, but this is bugging me so I thought I'd ask the experts here. I put on the first movie on Netflix. I haven't seen it in quite a while, but it's the type of lighthearted thing I like when I'm playing ball with the beagle.

Here's my question: Have they edited this movie for streaming? During the scene where they're going through Carrie's closet before she sells her apartment, I remember all the girls trying on her silly dresses, then Lily coming out holding a bunch of purses. But this time, it was only Carrie trying on a couple of dresses, concluding with the tutu one, and then the scene ended. Am I misremembering? Did this happen at another time? I swear it was then (because I recall thinking that it was ridiculous that the three other women could wear Carrie's clothes, as they're all taller and have different body types, and I like 80s Aerosmith). Help! Otherwise I really am losing it, lol.

That was an extended cut. It wasn’t part of the theatrical release. 

Samantha often reminded me of a virgin who was desperate to convince everyone around her that she was an experienced sexual dynamo. Much like how my friends and I acted during slumber parties in high school, not the way any grown woman I’ve ever met acts. I can’t imagine anyone who has as much actual sex as Samantha does acting like she’s starring in a cheesy porno from the eighties with the downright goofy lines and “teehee, I’m so naughty” smirk she so often had. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Everina said:

I never saw it that way.  I don't think the writers ever wanted us to like Natasha, but I think were were meant to be on her side when she lays the smackdown on Carrie in the restaurant.  Of course, Carrie doesn't learn jackshit from it, because then she thinks about how much it sucks that succubus Natasha is single again, but I never saw it as Natasha being a huge bitch we were supposed to hate, in that scene.  I think they let her be the mouthpiece for every wife/monogamous woman in the audience.  That's just how I interpreted it, though.

That is my biggest complaint about the series.  I've said on this very board Carrie was the only one of the four that didn't seem to evolve throughout the series.  Carrie cheated with Natasha's husband and she gets giddy about Natasha misusing the spelling of a word. She saw it as huge flaw.  I swear the writers just threw that in there to somehow make Carrie look superior.

9 hours ago, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

Samantha often reminded me of a virgin who was desperate to convince everyone around her that she was an experienced sexual dynamo. Much like how my friends and I acted during slumber parties in high school, not the way any grown woman I’ve ever met acts. I can’t imagine anyone who has as much actual sex as Samantha does acting like she’s starring in a cheesy porno from the eighties with the downright goofy lines and “teehee, I’m so naughty” smirk she so often had. 

I'm a Samantha fan and I thought she was written as a woman who enjoyed sex and wasn't looking for anything serious.  Also let's not forget we only saw certain aspects of Samantha's interaction with the men she slept with.  We don't really know how long she had known them. How she met them.  How long she was involved with them.  Also Samantha had been hurt by Dominic. The one who she  had been involved with pre series and got involved with again in Season 2.  I speak from experience when I say when you have your heart broken sometimes it's just easier to do things casual.  

• Love 3
On 2/11/2021 at 7:52 AM, ifionlyknew said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9248127/Kim-Cattralls-absence-Sex-City-reboot-explained-fading-friendship-women.html

From the article and HBO exec says explaining Samantha's absence from the revial

Just as in real life, people come into your life, people leave,'  HBO Max chief content officer Casey Bloys told TVLine Wednesday. 'Friendships fade, and new friendships start.'

Please, they were such strong friends that "fading" is a cop out. Just have her be busy in LA with Smith. They can do the "phone call" where Samantha says hello and just leave it at that. 

• Love 6
On 2/13/2021 at 6:38 PM, Mu Shu said:

I always thought that was stupid. Carrie was skinnier than Natasha. 

I don't recall who was thinner, but I too remember thinking it was stupid because they're both skinny, one model tall and one petite, but both skinny. 

18 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

I'm a Samantha fan and I thought she was written as a woman who enjoyed sex and wasn't looking for anything serious.  Also let's not forget we only saw certain aspects of Samantha's interaction with the men she slept with.  We don't really know how long she had known them. How she met them.  How long she was involved with them.  Also Samantha had been hurt by Dominic. The one who she  had been involved with pre series and got involved with again in Season 2.  I speak from experience when I say when you have your heart broken sometimes it's just easier to do things casual.  

I thought there were several instances where Samantha came on strong to strangers. Didn't she ask a guy at yoga if he wanted to go have sex? lol I totally get the casual stuff being easier when you've been hurt. Even though I'm not like Samantha in that I'm not aggressive with men and am super cautious, I deal with anxiety and different issues. It's so much easier for me to feel good about myself for someone I only see now and then. Living with someone every day, having them see the good, the bad, the ugly, gives me anxiety, as much as I love the idea of a family. I'm getting better about this, but one of my favorite songs is "Lover I Don't Have to Love." Sometimes deep down you want something more, but you are afraid of being hurt for whatever reason. Having a lover still beats having no one.

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I thought there were several instances where Samantha came on strong to strangers. Didn't she ask a guy at yoga if he wanted to go have sex? lol

There was also the guy who tried to steal  her cab. I remember him so well because he was on GH which I had watched at the time.  She saw him more than once because he told  her she needed to wax more.  Which pissed her off and in the end she had him do some of his own below the belt upkeep.  Her asking the yoga guy to fuck always seemed a little off to me.  Yes Samantha loved to have sex and slept with a lot of men shortly after meeting them but she didn't even know this guy's name.  

• Love 4
6 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

There was also the guy who tried to steal  her cab. I remember him so well because he was on GH which I had watched at the time.  She saw him more than once because he told  her she needed to wax more.  Which pissed her off and in the end she had him do some of his own below the belt upkeep.  Her asking the yoga guy to fuck always seemed a little off to me.  Yes Samantha loved to have sex and slept with a lot of men shortly after meeting them but she didn't even know this guy's name.  

I remember that, what a jerk! Stuff like this is one more reason I'm careful about who I sleep with. It's not just personal safety, assholes do not get the privilege of being with me! I don't believe you need to be married, in love, or in a longterm relationship. But I have high standards. 

• Useful 1

Samantha doesn't care about things that other women care about though, like looking desperate, or coming off too strong, which is one of the reasons I admire her. She doesn't care about things that society is always telling women they should be.

Women deal with men coming on strong to them allllll the time.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Samantha doesn't care about things that other women care about though, like looking desperate, or coming off too strong, which is one of the reasons I admire her. She doesn't care about things that society is always telling women they should be.

I loved that Samantha didn't care what random people thought of her, but I still see some of her behavior and think it was risky. Maybe my friends and I have just dealt with too many creeps. 

When someone comes on strong but it isn't to the point where you feel unsafe, to each his own. There have been times I've been really flattered or a guy has made me laugh by saying things others would find offensive. There have been other times I wondered who the hell raised him to talk to a woman like that. When it's a woman coming on strong to a man, one thing that's different is that it's not as threatening because we're just not as physically strong on average. Samantha did not have the strength to overpower most men. I'd watch her hit on strangers and think, I hope this guy doesn't harm her. It shocked me that Samantha had no issues with the guy who made a bunch of sex tapes and shared them with people. I think it was done without the consent of the women. IRC, it was the "modelizer" guy. She WANTED to be with him and the validation she was as hot as the models he liked to tape. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Yeah I think it was the third episode or thereabouts.  Back then the show was trying to show how "cynical" New York had become and was trying to show that life was kind of seedy and underground and wild.  Kind of like the book.  The focus definitely changed a bit.  I wonder if it's because Carrie and Big became really popular and the show kind of changed more into a romcom?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

And those men are always shot down.

I never saw it as Samantha hitting on men. She flirted. And she was very successful at it.  It wasn't like she was pursuing men who were uninterested.  She was as strong independent woman who didn't need a man to define her.  I admired her for that. 

12 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I loved that Samantha didn't care what random people thought of her, but I still see some of her behavior and think it was risky. Maybe my friends and I have just dealt with too many creeps. 

This wasn't that kind of show.  Law & Order SVU absolutely. But SATC was a safe place for women to have sex.  You had your heart broken but not your neck. However if they have one of the characters be single and dating in the revival they need to show the reality of dating nowadays.  So much of it is done online and they should show catfishing and ghosting and all that.  

• Love 5
3 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

This wasn't that kind of show.  Law & Order SVU absolutely. But SATC was a safe place for women to have sex.  You had your heart broken but not your neck. However if they have one of the characters be single and dating in the revival they need to show the reality of dating nowadays.  So much of it is done online and they should show catfishing and ghosting and all that.  

I agree.  I've read Candace Bushnell's book a few times and she just didn't write about that kind of reality.  

Today would be different, because of #MeToo and women feeling more comfortable to share their experiences.  But Candace was writing about a particular time period and place.

• Love 2

I personally would prefer Samantha to have lost her fight with breast cancer and have passed away than be "off screen"- for me, Samantha was a HUGE part of the show, and these women were her family, her emotional support system, no way would she just slowly fade from their lives. Having the cancer come back and her dying would I think at least be true to the characters and the message of the series, as sad as it would be for us viewers.

On 2/18/2021 at 7:19 AM, ifionlyknew said:

This wasn't that kind of show.  Law & Order SVU absolutely. But SATC was a safe place for women to have sex. 

As much as I liked that about SATC, I do have to admit I agreed with @RealHousewife in her comments above. I am so glad they never had Samantha be in a dangerous position, but not a single instance of her having a safety plan or mentioning a guy was giving her a bad feeling..... it was very unrealistic to me. 

• Love 5
On 2/18/2021 at 8:19 AM, ifionlyknew said:

I never saw it as Samantha hitting on men. She flirted. And she was very successful at it.  It wasn't like she was pursuing men who were uninterested.  She was as strong independent woman who didn't need a man to define her.  I admired her for that. 

I think Big was one of the men that turned Samantha down (and then went to hit on Carrie a little later in the evening...) and she never held it against him or Carrie. I think Samantha was like wanna fuck...no, cool...I'll just move on.

I thought it was so brave at the time because I think women take men rejecting them too hard because we feel like we always have to be attractive. If a man does not like us...we are doing something wrong and it is just not that everyone is attracted to different things in people.

On 2/17/2021 at 7:41 PM, RealHousewife said:

When someone comes on strong but it isn't to the point where you feel unsafe, to each his own. There have been times I've been really flattered or a guy has made me laugh by saying things others would find offensive. There have been other times I wondered who the hell raised him to talk to a woman like that. When it's a woman coming on strong to a man, one thing that's different is that it's not as threatening because we're just not as physically strong on average. Samantha did not have the strength to overpower most men. I'd watch her hit on strangers and think, I hope this guy doesn't harm her. It shocked me that Samantha had no issues with the guy who made a bunch of sex tapes and shared them with people. I think it was done without the consent of the women. IRC, it was the "modelizer" guy. She WANTED to be with him and the validation she was as hot as the models he liked to tape. 

This story line really has not aged well. It was at the time where models were the end all and be all (the age of supermodels) and it was just so flattering being attractive enough to be a model.

Never mind that was this creep was doing was disgusting and wrong...not to mention pathetic.

On 2/18/2021 at 11:30 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I agree.  I've read Candace Bushnell's book a few times and she just didn't write about that kind of reality.  

Today would be different, because of #MeToo and women feeling more comfortable to share their experiences.  But Candace was writing about a particular time period and place.

On 2/18/2021 at 8:19 AM, ifionlyknew said:

On 2/17/2021 at 9:04 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yeah I think it was the third episode or thereabouts.  Back then the show was trying to show how "cynical" New York had become and was trying to show that life was kind of seedy and underground and wild.  Kind of like the book.  The focus definitely changed a bit.  I wonder if it's because Carrie and Big became really popular and the show kind of changed more into a romcom?

This article kind of addresses how the show gradually changed in tone as it went along:

https://medium.com/illumination/why-sex-and-the-city-fans-should-give-girlfriends-a-chance-695646691e79

• Love 2
5 hours ago, qtpye said:

The fact that Big and Steve will not in the revival is a little sad but I would not be surprised if both those marriages did not last.

I'm one of the few that liked Steve/Miranda, so I'd be disappointed if I planned on watching this. However, based on everything so far, "hard pass" is my first thought, so I can just ignore this and make the movies my ending head canon. (Movie #1 much more than #2, but still.)

• Love 5

Yeah, no Samantha, no Big, no Steve...pass for me as well. Will prob just look here or on some wiki page to see what the characters are up to in the reunion and how they explain the absences, but no real desire to watch it.

• Love 4

Apparently the women thought it was disgusting that Kim Cattrall wanted more money when SATC was the biggest show on the planet, but are now dragging this old franchise back without some of its most iconic characters to make some coin? Hmmmmmm.... Interesting!  😁

😄

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 4