Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E03: He Moho Hou (New Player)

• Start Topic

When FBI Profiler Alicia Brown (Claire Forlani) finds a body in her bed, she is forced to join McGarrett in the hunt for the chess-piece killer. Also, Kono reconnects with a former surfing competitor (Kanya Sesser), who is now a disabled and homeless war vet. Elizabeth Röhm also guest stars as police psychiatrist, Dr. Madison Gray.

Original Airdate: October 7, 2016

SOURCE: http://cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/shows/hawaii-five-0/releases/view?id=46029

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix a tag-related issue
  • Love 1

Did 5-0 actually catch 4 bodies in one morning? With Kong dealing with a disabled veteran who idolized her you would think they hand off a dead DEAL Agent to the FBI. To bad nothing tripped NCIS interest so Hawaii  can get some help 

I enjoyed the main storyline, and for once, Danny wasn't nearly as irritating as he normally is.  He still had to have his moment of kvetching about Steve climbing down that building, but he wasn't as annoying as he usually is.  

As much as I like Kono, I found the B storyline featuring her to be dreadful.  I kept wondering if that former rival was a real person who was really injured in Iraq, because that was the only explanation I could find for how atrocious of an actress she was.  Much like the focus on that surfer who died in one of the episodes last season.  If this person is really just an actress, I would highly suggest she find another line of work, because she is terrible.

• Love 3

It was signposted by the phone call Kono received but I am so glad that it wasn't Danny who popped out of the bag...although it would have been kinda funny!

Actually, I thought Danny's nagging was appropriate (for someone concerned for a friend and also in character) and amusing this week - less whiney (and, thank God, no mention of "my liver") - and all the partnership stuff was really nice. His elevator alternative, complete with muzak, to Steve's leaping about and running up and down a multi-story carpark was a great moment. I was rather horrified (in fact I shouted at the writers) when he walked off the case, leaving everyone else gathered around still thrashing out the finer points but I liked the look of grudging 'he has a point there' acceptance from Steve and then, thankfully, he popped up again, so I'm choosing to believe it was a Danny humour moment rather than a complete abdication of his duty.

Grace Park must be very happy with the episode - she shone. Good use of all the cast too (although I still think many of them are totally unnecessary).

I am imagining that the Cali cartel, the DEA involvement and Chin's niece's Mexican family will all tie up very soon.

• Love 2

Speaking of Danny, I thought maybe he was playing two characters this episode. Holy smokes. Did that other guy look just like him, or what? Like I was seeing double.

With last week's guy and this week's, I'm starting to suspect not a backdoor pilot, but a backdoor casting. It's almost like they are trying out new partners for Steve. I liked this guy and he seemed to be more of a fit than the British spy guy who was good, but a little out of place on the show. 

I find the profiler to be a little wooden (although not the plank of wood Kono's friend was). Interesting that she needed Steve to come with her to the psychiatrist's because she is a nobody - just a famous profiler that Steve dragged out of retirement - why would a psychiatrist know who she is and want to talk to her? - but she can just get a body exhumed by just throwing his name around ≈). I would have thought it would have been the other way around. Kind of like how she figured out the connection between the serial killers and the dead cop when Jerry and his super-computer-of-all-records did not - who knew a retired woman with no legal access to police records could figure out so much?

I'm stunned that the psychiatrist didn't have the "Big Book of How to Make Your Patients into Serial Killers" beside her Medieval Chess book. Too bad we got to see that the character was played by a known actress otherwise we could pretend that the book was placed there by the real killer as a red herring.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, kili said:

With last week's guy and this week's, I'm starting to suspect not a backdoor pilot, but a backdoor casting. It's almost like they are trying out new partners for Steve. I liked this guy and he seemed to be more of a fit than the British spy guy who was good, but a little out of place on the show. 

I find the profiler to be a little wooden (although not the plank of wood Kono's friend was). Interesting that she needed Steve to come with her to the psychiatrist's because she is a nobody - just a famous profiler that Steve dragged out of retirement - why would a psychiatrist know who she is and want to talk to her? - but she can just get a body exhumed by just throwing his name around ≈). I would have thought it would have been the other way around. Kind of like how she figured out the connection between the serial killers and the dead cop when Jerry and his super-computer-of-all-records did not - who knew a retired woman with no legal access to police records could figure out so much?

I'm stunned that the psychiatrist didn't have the "Big Book of How to Make Your Patients into Serial Killers" beside her Medieval Chess book. Too bad we got to see that the character was played by a known actress otherwise we could pretend that the book was placed there by the real killer as a red herring.

It wasn't just a name, it was 5-0! Now the medical examiner may have had five fresh homicides on his tables when they exhumed a body for a cold closed case is it any wonder that Max is more missing in action than Danny.

Fun episode. Nothing groundbreaking, but fun. I agree that Danny seems toned down and not annoying at all, and Steve seems more flexible. They have the Danny/Steve dynamic back on the right track. Mild nagging and mild eye-rolling, as opposed to two assholes who shouldn't be friends.

Did I miss several scenes though? One minute Steve was like "this guy can't hide" and the next he and Danny were chasing him around that parking garage? And then Danny gets in his car, sits in the driver's seat for once, and says (sarcastically?) he's going home, and in the next scene Steve is driving that same car and they're still working the case? And then Danny disappears again?

9 hours ago, SweetTooth said:

Disappointed Danny wasn't in the bag.

I would have paid good money for that visual.

1 hour ago, kili said:

I definitely think the British spy would be better off on his own show (though I'd love him as a recurring player) but this week's guy looks way too much like Scott Caan. It would be half-hilarious and half-offensive if they replaced Danny with his clone.

I've always had a huge crush on Elisabeth Rohm, and I was getting disappointed as the episode went on and she still hadn't appeared. That ending made up for it. Now I'm hooked for next week too, for sure.

Speaking of, this promo is giving me Baywatch Hawaii vibes. I remember that exact thing on an episode with Krista Allen.

Edited by Princess Lucky

Well, Kono got to be action-girl this week after last week being reduced to eye-candy. And although the actress was not great I appreciate that for once we did get a female veteran fighting to find a way back into civilian life.

I also have a book on medieval chess - hope that does not make me look suspicious!

• Love 2

Did I miss several scenes though? One minute Steve was like "this guy can't hide" and the next he and Danny were chasing him around that parking garage? And then Danny gets in his car, sits in the driver's seat for once, and says (sarcastically?) he's going home, and in the next scene Steve is driving that same car and they're still working the case? And then Danny disappears again?

Okay, so i wasn't just me who thought it was weird.  Whoever edited this episode did a really bad job.  I did like the visual of Danny waiting for the elevator, getting in and standing there patiently listening to Muzak, then casually walking up to the front of the car with gun drawn (with Steve running up completely exhausted).  Funny!

• Love 4
On 10/7/2016 at 10:54 PM, SweetTooth said:

I do appreciate that for once the main guy working for the other agency wasn't the bad guy. That's usually the twist.

I totally expected it to be him, because it usually is. It's so much the standard that even when the show was over, I still though "well, he'll be back in some other episode and they'll discover it was him all along."

On 10/7/2016 at 10:54 PM, SweetTooth said:

How deep of a sleeper do you have to be to not wake up when someone walks into your room and puts a body in your bed? That wasn't some little guy!

It was so unbelievable, I decided it was more fodder for the idea that the profiler (?) is really the mastermind, and that she planted the chess book in the shrink's office.

23 hours ago, Princess Lucky said:

Did I miss several scenes though? One minute Steve was like "this guy can't hide" and the next he and Danny were chasing him around that parking garage?

It was a weird cut - though they weren't chasing the guy they were actually looking for, but another guy who they thought would know it was him. But that didn't become apparent until they were questioning him. Confusing as heck.

They just call for a pickup of the trail of dead bodies they leave all over Hawaii. 

That's our team - whatever it takes. Sigh...

And on a different matter - I have a bad memory for plotlines in previous seasons, so forgive me if this is a stupid question. Is Kono still married to Adam? They haven't even mentioned him (unless I missed it) in these last three episodes, plus she seemed willing to invite someone to live with her on the spur of the moment.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1

Isn't it nice? No report to fill out. No investigation. No taking of her weapon to figure out if the shooting was righteous. They just call for a pickup of the trail of dead bodies they leave all over Hawaii. 

When was the last time we saw any of this going down after a shooting? Was there ever an investigation on Chin shooting what's-his-face? I honestly can't remember. Or is 5-0 exempt from any such legal nonsense? (Or maybe the new governor took some inspiration from the Philippines, who knows with this show.)

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

And on a different matter - I have a bad memory for plotlines in previous seasons, so forgive me if this is a stupid question. Is Kono still married to Adam? They haven't even mentioned him (unless I missed it) in these last three episodes, plus she seemed willing to invite someone to live with her on the spur of the moment.

They are still married but because he's not a member of H 5-0 killing in self-defense got him 18 months in prison. Last time we heard from him was in the episode with the mass break-out from prison (where the make-up department went wild with the charred bodies). He helped the police track the fugitives but afaik that did not result in him getting an early release.

2 hours ago, MissLucas said:

When was the last time we saw any of this going down after a shooting? Was there ever an investigation on Chin shooting what's-his-face? I honestly can't remember. Or is 5-0 exempt from any such legal nonsense? (Or maybe the new governor took some inspiration from the Philippines, who knows with this show.)

Normally 5-0's tactics I can ignore, but in this case these guys weren't a threat to anyone when they were shot and they could have just as easily been arrested as they left the swap. If 5-0 can do that why bother gathering evidence on anyone?

35 minutes ago, SweetTooth said:

Gosh, I wish that were true. But then she'd have to put the body in her bed, pretend to be asleep, and wake up screaming and shaking, when nobody is there to see her do it.

The scenario I'm envisioning: the guy laid down willingly cause he thought - you know - and she sliced his throat (which is what it looked like to me). Then the rest was her method acting to work herself up into a state that 5-0 would find convincing. I don't think it's true, but it's as logical as most of the other things we see. Also, I thought at one point that some of the blood she was covered in was on the wrong side (the side away from the body), but I wasn't paying THAT much attention.

I can't speak to the most famous person is the guilty one standard. From what I can tell, both actresses are fairly well known (if not to me), and certainly the blond is going to be a big part of the story, whether she's the real killer, or the misdirection. Of course, she could also end up being one of Steve's blonds....

Of course, it could be that I've just taken a dislike to the profiler character who is a little too eager and speedy with results after vowing she wasn't going to help (finding the connection between the serial killers and dead cop, exhuming the body, fortuitously finding the book on the shrink's shelves, etc.) So I want her to be the mastermind.

Edited by Clanstarling

Forlani's character seems to be (very) loosely based on Sigourney Weaver's part in Copycat - retired profiler traumatized by her job gets reluctantly dragged into another case and of course ends up in new psycho's bull's eye. Or maybe that plot has become another trope what with all the crime shows dealing with profilers and serial killers.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

It was a weird cut - though they weren't chasing the guy they were actually looking for, but another guy who they thought would know it was him. But that didn't become apparent until they were questioning him. Confusing as heck.

...that didn't become apparent until *I read this comment*

I, too, thought of Copycat, which is a movie I love, because it subverts all the gender tropes normally seen in this type of film. The hot bimbo (with hidden substance!) and the jealous, bitter ex are both played by men, and the two badasses are played by women. Let's see what H50 does with the concept. I do have to assume it'll either be Forlani or Rohm, because I can't imagine a random reveal of someone we've never seen before. Then again, this is H50, so who the hell knows?

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Didn't they tell they guy they had in The Chair they could hold him indefinitely? Pretty sure that's illegal in this country. But 5-O has carte blanche to even abrogate the Constitution. Because...task force. Uh-huh.

All the way back to season 1 with the first Governor McGarrett works for God and Hawaii's Governor. The new Gov seems to have moved towards her policies and not the second  who at least brought in a minder from Homeland Security. The only time the Feds looked at them for violating rights and going to Colombia for a murder and placing the San Francisco Treat undercover it was dismissed because the lead Fed had a personal interest in the case. Now on occasion Hawaii's Internal affairs have looked at the team, going after McGarrett for an assassination  Wo Fat committed or Chin Ho for covering up for his family and stealing from evidence

The episode was pretty dumb and this show can't go a single episode without telling us how awesome torture is. However, that all being said, I have to give them props for the final scene with Kono and her friend surfing. That was some sweet stuff right there.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

Kono's friend is homeless and hasn't surfed in a decade, yet she has a custom board. O.K.

To be fair, we don't know how she got that board or how long she might've had it, since that wasn't important to the story, though it probably is unlikely she bought it for herself. Perhaps it was a gift from well-meaning family or friends who were trying to show her she could still surf even though she'd lost her legs (it could've even been a gift from Kono, on the day they went surfing--though not much earlier than that since, as I remember, Rosey & Kono were supposed to have lost touch for however many years until Rosey asked Duke to call her/she called Kono herself after she ended up in jail). It's also possible it might've been rented/borrowed somewhere/somehow (I'd think Kono still had connections in the surfing world & could somehow get Rosey hooked up with a board that would meet her needs, if necessary; after all, there are groups that teach "special needs" people how to surf--Scott Caan is a big supporter of a number of them in real life & volunteers his time to work with them when he can).

• Love 1

Caught up on some episodes this weekend.  Have to admit, I too couldn't tell if the CGI was making her with or without legs.  Finding out it was the 'with' legs, which meant they had a body double and superimposed Rosey's face on it.  Pretty well done.  

The rest of the opinion was the usual suspend all belief with the story and the tactics.  But the show is nearly always a fun watch.