Type keyword(s) to search

Will & Grace In The Media

Kromm

Because it's so partisan, this pushes near the "no politics" rule, but this is so directly on point/target of this show, I hope we can discuss it if we take a lot of care.

So view it, but keep in mind that discussing actual real political viewpoints from the real world is a total no-no. Instead discuss other aspects of the clip--like the how the stars look these days, how well or badly they are doing the characters now, what it does or doesn't say about the lives and personalities of the characters ten years further in the future than we've ever seen, clever lines of dialogue/jokes (at least the ones that are more general) etc.

Don't talk about political candidates or political philosophies. Or I'm sure this will get yanked and we will miss a great opportunity to discuss how good it is to see "old friends" again.

Edited by Kromm

I enjoyed it a lot and honestly, even with the tone and what they were going for it was still a lot like the show.   They all stepped right back into character without missing a beat.  Given all the revivals going on lately, I wouldn't say no to something like a Hulu miniseries for the show.   Something that completely erases that shit show of a finale. 

@nosleepforme I believe after the show wrapped they toured the set around the Us as part of some Smithsonian television exhibit.   After which NBC decided to put it in storage instead of taking it apart. 

• Love 1

I wasn't the world's biggest Will & Grace fan. At times it could veer towards very cringe-inducing. But it had great character interaction, great patter. and better than average jokes. And I actually think this had all of that. I mean I expected the jokes to be pretty lame, but they weren't--the hit rate was pretty close to 100% (and not just the political jokes, but the other ones at well).  Also this is the least irritated I've been at Debra Messing in a long time. I thought her timing and delivery was fantastic in this, and I can't say that's the case with other stuff I've seen from her since Will & Grace went off the air. 

• Love 1

And the continuity elephant in the room has finally been addressed.  The show is going to ignore the finale and start with Will and Grace both unmarried and childless.  So much for nine years of character growth and development -- it was all just a dream, and Bobby Ewing should be showing up in the shower any minute now!

• Love 1

I absolutely hate the new Will and Grace show. In the last series , Beverly Leslie died, now he's back. Both Will and Grace were with partners and both had a child (gone) Karyn was broke and Jack was the millionaire (no more.)

I think they are making a big mistake trying to start from scratch again on this show. They need to pick up where it left off and create story lines based on that.

Especially the part where it looked like Will's son and Grace's daughter were prob going to get together in college. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, seniorpatriot said:

I absolutely hate the new Will and Grace show. In the last series , Beverly Leslie died, now he's back. Both Will and Grace were with partners and both had a child (gone) Karyn was broke and Jack was the millionaire (no more.)

I think they are making a big mistake trying to start from scratch again on this show. They need to pick up where it left off and create story lines based on that.

Especially the part where it looked like Will's son and Grace's daughter were prob going to get together in college. 

Two words:  THANK YOU!!!!

• Love 1

Too late.

I would have preferred they had picked up where they left off and just had the kids off at college.  It's kind of sad watching the old show's episodes that Will never got to be a father and they both haven't seemed to move on at all.  (I forget, is Karen still with Stan, too?)  At least they're all having a good time being friends together.  And I'm glad Elliot wasn't written out (and a grandkid was written in).

• Love 1

Wow. That's surprising. It'll be interesting to see if they can continue with the success of this for two more seasons. I've been enjoying the reboot so far, though, so yay for this news :).

• Love 4

At some point, they're going to have to start letting the characters evolve.  As others have pointed out, this reboot re-set the characters back to exactly the way they were eleven years ago, with none of them apparently having learned a damn thing from the previous eight years of interacting together.  It's way past time for Will, Grace, Jack and Karen to grow up and start functioning as the middle-aged adults that they really are instead of trying to keep on being the early 30-somethings that they were in 1997.

• Love 3
On 3/17/2018 at 11:35 PM, legaleagle53 said:

At some point, they're going to have to start letting the characters evolve.  As others have pointed out, this reboot re-set the characters back to exactly the way they were eleven years ago, with none of them apparently having learned a damn thing from the previous eight years of interacting together.  It's way past time for Will, Grace, Jack and Karen to grow up and start functioning as the middle-aged adults that they really are instead of trying to keep on being the early 30-somethings that they were in 1997.

Agewise, at the end of the last series Will and Grace were around 40, Jack about 37 and Karen 47. I think their personalities now are in keeping with where they were at the end of that series, excluding the dreadful finale.

I don't know - I haven't changed all that much in ten years. I've slowed down a bit and would rather stay home and enjoy quieter pursuits, but personality-wise I'm not much different. Who wants to watch the characters sitting at home messing around on the computer or watching tv for a whole episode? My 45-year-old sister got divorced a few years ago - she was more mature and settled when she was married, now she's back to being single and trying out the dating sites and has had some pretty nutty experiences. Will and Grace are in the same boat - 50 and single and trying to date and figure things out. 

Karen is Karen, she'll never change. And I feel like they have written Jack to be a bit more mature and subdued than he was last go-round.

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 7

Hollywood Reporter comedy actress roundtable with Molly Shannon (Divorce), Rachel Brosnahan (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel), Frankie Shaw (SMILF), Drew Barrymore (Santa Clarita Diet), Debra Messing (Will & Grace), Alison Brie (GLOW), and Tracee Ellis Ross (Black-ish):

Emmy nomination:

Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Comedy Series - Megan Mullally
Outstanding Guest Actress In A Comedy Series - Molly Shannon
Outstanding Production Design For A Narrative Program (Half-Hour Or Less) - A Gay Olde Christmas
Outstanding Cinematography For A Multi-Camera Series - A Gay Olde Christmas
Outstanding Multi-Camera Picture Editing For A Comedy Series - Grandpa Jack

• Love 3
(edited)

The retrospective that was to air before the finale on the 23rd will now air after it, as Indebted either didn't finish filming its season, or did but is having an episode left unaired.

ETA: One source had reported this, but now another lists the special before W&G and an episode of Brooklyn Nine-Nine after it, so I may have jumped the gun.

Edited by KWalkerInc
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

So those ASPCA commercials with “I’ll Stand by You” (wonderful rendition by an obscure singer named Mina Tank) has Eric McCormack narrating.

He looks much younger than he did in the reboot seasons so I figured the commercial was from a decade or more ago.

But he’s making the pitch for 63 cents a day or $19 a month, which seems to be an amount that’s current.  So maybe he did do those commercials recently?

The hair length and style seems more like the ‘90s.

Never seen most of the cast in anything but the show, which is kind of surprising.

• Love 1

The show received five Emmy nominations.  "We Love Lucy" was nominated for directing, multi-camera picture editing and production design.  "What a Dump" was also nominated for multi-camera picture editing, and "Accidentally on Porpoise" for cinematography.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2