Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: That Tuna Is F@#!ed

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

23 hours ago, Nanu160 said:

Foodies are annoying. You are in the BVI! Don't you care about the recreational //cultural possibilities ? possibly while looking slim n fit in a bathing suit..? OR,  are you there just  to EAT  some over hyped FOOD in a tropical setting and get all bloated and lazy in a tropical setting?  Afterwards to go boil in a floating hot Tub and  sleep in a big bed? How boring are you rich piggies? Yay fat people!

Fuck you and your GLUTEN FREE CUPCAKES. 

I don't call myself a foodie, but I imagine that many people would describe me as such. A real foodie would probably look at a cruise through the British Virgin Islands as an opportunity to eat local delicacies and tons of seafood. I like and am interested in all different types of food. I don't see it as a less legitimate hobby or interest than any of the recreational or cultural possibilities that would be available to the guests. Additionally, I think we all know that there has never been a charter guest on this show that has been the least bit interested in how the people of the area in which they are cruising actually live.

• Love 6

I have been on about twenty cruises and each one was different. The one consistent thing on every cruise and on every cruise line is that the people working on the ships really try to help and make sure that you have good time. 

I just don't think that the service these mooks are providing measures up to what you get on a Carnival Cruise. Just saying.

• Love 3
On September 30, 2016 at 9:05 AM, Neurochick said:

I think Lauren is the best looking of the women this season; Emily has bad teeth, Sierra looks like a serial killer and Kate really needs some hair conditioner.  Interesting that none of the guys are interested in Lauren (unless she told all of them, 'no fucking way').

I think men are intimidated and impressed by dark hair and features and view pale hair and features more accessible or welcoming. There was a study and a thousand men asked out the same woman in blond wig at a bar more, than when she had her brown hair. But when showed pics of both 'women' later they overwhelming found the brunette more attractive .

i recently dyed my hair from a lighter shade to darker and get much more compliments but also find men more intimidated.

also I think the blonds on BD are in service roles where Lauren is in a labor one and maybe that affects boy brains. 

Edited by Petunia13
  • Love 4

I don't get a "hot" vibe about Emily either. She's a cute girl, definitely, and smart, good at her job, and all of that. But I just don't get all these guys going gaga over her. It must be the accent. And maybe the glasses. Either that or it's a storyline. If anything, I would have expected all the guys to be losing it over Sierra. But I guess 'cause she smiles all the time somehow that makes her crazy? 

I like Lauren. I think she's cool. She has a cool accent too. But I think the guys never go for the female deckhands (apart from season 2? I didn't watch that year but I know something went on with Jennice the female deckhand and Kelley? or some other guy that year). No one was really interested in Connie from last season either. I think the guys see female deckhands as like "one of the guys" and don't think of them as being sexy or feminine. If the dark hair theory posted above is true, all the female deckhands on this show have also been brunettes, while the stews have all been blonde (except Amy). The hair theory may be a bit extreme, but I think it's more likely that men see deckhand work as "manly" and usually the women doing it need to have great physical strength, they also don't wear particularly sexy looking outfits while doing it either. Most of the girls who have been deckhands were tomboy-ish and gave off a "one of the guys" vibe. Personally I think girls like that are cool (I myself am kind of like that), but unfortunately we're the kind of girls that are always the "girl friend" and never the "girlfriend."

I'm glad Captain Lee fired Trevor instead of keeping him around for drama. He was a repeat of Dane from last season. We knew how that was going to go if kept around longer. Hopefully Trevor gets himself some help instead of hair modeling. 

I agree with all that's been said about these obnoxious guests. The pig who made that gross comment to Emily about "If something happens to my wife..." Seriously? Dude wishes he had a wife. I'm sure he doesn't, with that kind of charming personality. Ugh.

I can completely buy the story about the guests exaggerating their needs just to create drama. I've seriously never heard of needing the right level of PH in water before. They definitely amped it up just to create drama or were told by producers/received a bigger discount if they did. Now that Trevor is gone, they had to do something I guess to make things interesting.

I also don't think these guests have ever had a 12 course meal before, or really knew what they were getting themselves into by ordering one. I think they just wanted to be dickheads. At least the primary looked like he enjoyed it though. The others acted like asses. These people were gross. 

The woman with all the dietary restrictions was awful. I'm not sure how she could expect to participate in the tasting when she was allergic (aka didn't eat) to almost every course. Did she really think they were going to have like 12 separate courses just for her or something? They could have allowed her to eat the courses which didn't conflict with her dietary restrictions, such as the sorbet, but sorry, if you have all these restrictions and there's 12 courses being served, you get whatever you can eat, plus a salad. I didn't understand the whole fish thing either. I thought she said she didn't eat fish, but if it's shellfish she'll eat it? I didn't get it. 

Also have to agree about Hairy Back Guy. I think in the next episode he has one of the staff wax it. Ewwwww. I also think either that guy or one of the others asks to see Emily's V line. 

These people better leave a big tip, but you know they won't. Because assholes. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Trooper York said:

I have been on about twenty cruises and each one was different. The one consistent thing on every cruise and on every cruise line is that the people working on the ships really try to help and make sure that you have good time. 

I just don't think that the service these mooks are providing measures up to what you get on a Carnival Cruise. Just saying.

This is so true.  For all the money these guests are paying, these trips don't look as fun as the cruises I've been on.  Just saying.

13 minutes ago, BogoGog24 said:

Personally I think girls like that are cool (I myself am kind of like that), but unfortunately we're the kind of girls that are always the "girl friend" and never the "girlfriend."

I agree, and to me, that says more about the men than it does about the female deckhands.  Lauren is the best looking IMO, Emily can take a seat.

• Love 4

What d'ya mean  you don't get the thing where Emily is "Hot"?  You, as the viewer, Do Not Get to determine Who is Attractive to Whom. You are not there dude.              She is real cute plus its Raging Hormones+ Boredom+ Accessability+Youth. Judgy!

Knowing that at heart he is a jerk, I'm still wondering what did Trevor specifically do to production that pissed them off. Man he got a bad edit from day one and that is taking into account that he freely gave them alot to bust him with.

Lauren is the hottest this season. Hands down.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, BogoGog24 said:

I agree with all that's been said about these obnoxious guests. The pig who made that gross comment to Emily about "If something happens to my wife..." Seriously? Dude wishes he had a wife. I'm sure he doesn't, with that kind of charming personality. Ugh.

His wife is probably a mail order bride that doesn't speak a word of English. 

• Love 2
On 10/2/2016 at 11:57 AM, BogoGog24 said:

I can completely buy the story about the guests exaggerating their needs just to create drama. I've seriously never heard of needing the right level of PH in water before. They definitely amped it up just to create drama or were told by producers/received a bigger discount if they did.

Interesting theory... I like it.  "We'll take off 5 grand if you send your food back, and we'll take off 10 grand if we can imply that you left a used condom on your bedside table!" (Didn't the latter happen a few years ago?)

• Love 1

PH water is a health thing and is just alkaline. Alkaline water pitchers w/ filters and bottled are sold pretty much everywhere and systems can be installed too. I like to drink it when acid reflex is starting and its pretty helpful. There are lots of proposed benefits to trying to keep your body more alkaline.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, kassa said:

and we'll take off 10 grand if we can imply that you left a used condom on your bedside table!" (Didn't the latter happen a few years ago?)

... Below Deck: Med had a charter of guests, one of which left a used tampon on the floor. At least, I think it was Below Deck: Med (I only have watched that version, even Ben couldn't save it for me) and I'm pretty sure it was more than implied.

Edited by McManda
On 9/29/2016 at 10:25 AM, LucyHoneychrrch said:

This is kind of macabre, but I think the reason there are so many food allergies today is because even thirty years ago, if you had a massive food allergy, you ... died.

Deaths from food allergies alone are rare (around 11 per year in the US). Probably the increase in food allergies has to do with effective tests and better information. Some people with food allergies have very few symptoms. Others attribute their actual allergies to something else.

In school, there was a kid who was allergic to chocolate. We still filled the room with fundraising chocolate to take home, even though he got a headache on those days. Also, people find using allergies as an excuse is an effective way to not get foods you don't like (mushrooms) in your food.

I was reading on the Paleo diet this week. A lot of that is anti-gluten and anti-processing. It's pro-meat but anti-dairy. A lot of that has to do with the theory that certain enzymes react badly with the human body. In that sense, people are sensitive to a lot of food types, but won't go into anaphylaxis.

On 10/3/2016 at 5:09 PM, Almost 3000 said:

PH water is a health thing and is just alkaline. Alkaline water pitchers w/ filters and bottled are sold pretty much everywhere and systems can be installed too. I like to drink it when acid reflex is starting and its pretty helpful. There are lots of proposed benefits to trying to keep your body more alkaline.

You'll be trying forever, because you can't change your blood pH.  Your urine pH changes based on what you eat but it's not a good indicator of your health.  This site, including part 2 with a link at the bottom, explains things with sources.  https://chriskresser.com/the-ph-myth-part-1/

This is not to say the diet you eat while following alkaline isn't going to improve your health, but it doesn't do so because of changing blood pH.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, ketose said:

Deaths from food allergies alone are rare (around 11 per year in the US). Probably the increase in food allergies has to do with effective tests and better information. Some people with food allergies have very few symptoms. Others attribute their actual allergies to something else.

I think the stats are in dispute, but even the high end claim is only 200 deaths per year in the U.S. which is still very low.  Oddly, two acquaintances of mine died in the same year, about 15 years ago, both from anaphylaxis from food allergies.  Perhaps the number of fatalities has gone down because of more awareness of the need for fast medical treatment when an allergic reaction occurs.

On 10/3/2016 at 5:09 PM, Almost 3000 said:

So-called pH water is simply water with calcium chloride, and maybe some potassium, added to it to make it a little more alkaline.  If it helps your acid reflux, it's because you're essentially drinking water with Tums dissolved in it. I don't know what it means to "keep your body more alkaline."  Is there even such a thing as overall body pH?  If so, how would it be measured? 

Edited by RemoteControlFreak
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, RemoteControlFreak said:

So-called pH water is simply water with calcium chloride, and maybe some potassium, added to it to make it a little more alkaline.  If it helps your acid reflux, it's because you're essentially drinking water with Tums dissolved in it. I don't know what it means to "keep your body more alkaline."  Is there even such a thing as overall body pH?  If so, how would it be measured? 

There's blood pH, which doesn't change based on what you eat unless you eat a ton of sodium bicarbonate but you've have GI distress if you did that.  Urine pH can change but having alkaline urine doesn't mean you're healthy

I'm surprised   people were surprised by this diet. It's common where I live. Many people with issues of inflammation avoid gluten, certain produce, and drink alkaline water. There are many household where they raise the children from infancy on a modified gluten free mostly vegan diet & drinking $6 green drink. 

Its also a diet popular with survivalists. It is advocated by Jim Bakker and other survivalist evangelicals. My mom only drinks that water or coconut water. No gluten, no fruit, no grains like corn or rice, no sugar, ect. It is very hard to find things she will / can eat - I buy her groceries.