Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: That Tuna Is F@#!ed

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Trevor faces the wrath of Captain Lee after putting the crew's safety in jeopardy during their night out. Ben stresses over a charter guest with very particular dietary needs. Kelley and Nico both find themselves attracted to the same stew, and Sierra learns just how difficult it can be working with Ben.

He probably expects her to remember explanations of his dishes and she can't remember if they're steak or salmon. 

I'm kidding ... mostly. Sierra comes off as dim, but I'll take get over a douche like Trevor any day. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Captain Lee's face when Trevor mentions being a hair model - GOLD!!

You know, by Ben standards, he wasn't even rude to Sierra.  She's just such a sensitive little earth mother, I guess.  She can't take "bad energy."  Whatevs.

• Like 1
  • Love 23

Seriously, señor deckhand? I know we're currently in a cats-and-dogs-living-together socio-political jungle right now, but you're going to double down on dead marines? You are not smart enough to model hair. And yes, Captain Lee's reaction was everything.

So the guests were human traffickers, no? And who in hell orders ph level-specific water and expects the staff not to mess with them?  

Are we still naming our spoken word albums? Because if we are mine will totally be called Industry of Juice.

• Like 1
  • Love 11

Captain Lee was absolutely on fire tonight. His reactions and talking heads are usually top notch, but there was a dose of salty brilliance every five minutes or so. I expected we'd have Trevor inflicted on us for at least two more episodes, but once he started rounding up everyone one by one it was clear he was following due process (either by his own rules or the owner's?) before giving him his walking papers. 

These guests are so terrible, which I love; it brings out the best in Lee and Kate. They did look like a bootleg version of the Pulp Fiction cast, Kate was spot-on with that. That female guest is why people don't take genuine food allergies and dietary restrictions all that seriously. I think Kate should have had a quick chat with her to figure out how she wanted to participate in the tasting, but still, that shellfish aversion seemed to vanish immediately. I'm guessing she doesn't have Celiac, either, she just heard gluten is icky from a mommy blog or something. 

Ben is greasier than a vat of crisco sliding around in pan drippings at this point. His hair in his talking heads! The way he calls literally every woman he works with 'babe', 'baby', or 'honey bunny'! His charms are really wearing thin.

Sierra reminds me of that 30 Rock episode, where Jon Hamm's character was so attractive that no one noticed or cared that he was a doctor who couldn't perform the Heimlich and that orange Gatorade was a perfect secret ingredient for a stew. I felt for her, because Ben really didn't need to keep hammering her over how bad the tuna was - she didn't argue, or get defensive, or act in any way that prompted endless reiterations of why it needed tossed - and I think we've all been there, it had to be embarrassing for her. But there was no reason for her to remain in the galley being miserable and on the verge of tears, that's where I fault her. Take a bathroom break and cry it out, regain composure, and shift gears to some other task. She didn't appear to be doing anything of use to Ben after that, so pick up some stew side work or something, just take yourself away from it.

• Like 1
  • Love 8
33 minutes ago, ihartcoffee said:

You probably shouldn't start a 12 course meal at 8:30 at night.  Strange guests anyway.....

I didn't understand the whole dynamic of that group.  They were very strange.  

I also don't think they actually have ever sat through an entire 12 course tasting menu before, either.  I think it was just something that the lead passenger thought would be a "classy" or "sophisticated" thing to do on a yacht.  Also, it isn't exactly something that a tween/teen would really appreciate, although she seemed to be more interested in it than the difficult guest (still cannot figure out exactly what the hell she does eat?).

11 minutes ago, druzy said:

Three grand is like sewer money- who would say that? 

A nouveau riche snobbish bitch.....

• Like 1
  • Love 17

Good grief, the passengers and their meals is so contrived to make drama. (Ben really is the focus of this show of you think about it.)

I guess I would be Ben's best passenger ever. ( I will eat pretty much anything except innards, glands and some root veggies)

Breakfast around 9am.

Lunch around 2pm.

Lite snack plate around 5-6pm. (Cocktails and a nice cheese/fruit platter, nuts, dip, ect.)

Dinner at 7pm and a sweet treat to follow around 10 pm, then lights out till tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Love 12
11 minutes ago, mbaywife123 said:

Good grief, the passengers and their meals is so contrived to make drama. (Ben really is the focus of this show of you think about it.)

I guess I would be Ben's best passenger ever. ( I will eat pretty much anything except innards, glands and some root veggies)

Breakfast around 9am.

Lunch around 2pm.

Lite snack plate around 5-6pm. (Cocktails and a nice cheese/fruit platter, nuts, dip, ect.)

Dinner at 7pm and a sweet treat to follow around 10 pm, then lights out till tomorrow.

Me too...although I think that Ben thinks that 7:00 pm is too early for dinner.  

Your timing is perfect to me, but I may want a little midnight snack type of stuff if my guests and I were drinking after dinner.  

• Love 2

I love that Sierra's crazy conveniently comes out to play as soon as Trevor gets the boot. I wonder how many mentions of the "juice industry" they edited out of the first two charters. Speaking of Trevor, I don't usually watch WWHL but I caught the beginning which contained a lovely tribute montage to señor dickhead.

Ben...I don't even know. Why does he need a stew and a deckie in the kitchen to help? I know 12 courses is a lot of work but his tasting menu was primarily raw fish and sorbet. Not sure why he couldn't throw together some bland vegan version and call it a day. Putting Sierra in charge of a garden salad spelled disaster from the moment he suggested it. That said, the charter guest seemed to immediately forget her dietary restrictions as soon as she was left out and then threw a mini tantrum at the table so who's the real señor dickhead now?

So the guests were human traffickers, no? And who in hell orders ph level-specific water and expects the staff not to mess with them?  

I think these are hands down the worst guests in the history of BD. Gross and rude and undoubtedly criminal.

Edited by rho
  • Like 1
  • Love 10
2 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

Me too...although I think that Ben thinks that 7:00 pm is too early for dinner.  

Your timing is perfect to me, but I may want a little midnight snack type of stuff if my guests and I were drinking after dinner.  

After 10pm think snacks as grab and go, popcorn, bring back the snack tray refreshed from pre-dinner cocktails or some pizza slices or quesadillas slices if someone is really hungry (I can't eat much past 10pm without major stomach digestive/acid problems). The stews could handle this quickly and very well while Ben was sleeping  for the next day as long as they didn't have Leon or Rocky types to try to burn the kitchen down!

• Love 4

OK.  As much as Ben can annoy me at times, a twelve course tasting is a bitch.  He doesn't have an experienced sous chef and he's working in a small kitchen.  Dinner at 8:30 for a twelve course just doesn't work and I'm a night owl.  I do have to say that Ben did maintain his cool.  I did laugh when Kate said they should always do a twelve course with Ben.

Bye Trevor.  If you're so experienced and that great, why did you take a job that was a demotion?  Just sayin.....

As for the guests:  'New' money at it's finest.  Money can't buy you class (TM - Countess Luann).  I don't usually comment on people's physicality (TM Thomas Ravenel)  but if you have that much money you can afford to do something about that back hair.   And at least, the Asian man (sorry, I don't remember his name) totally enjoyed the tasting.  The one guy's comments in front of the Asian man's daughter?  Wow.  Really classy.

On the guest with all the dietary restrictions:  If you are willing to try something that goes against your dietary 'requirements' then you're kind of full of BS.  I will say that the salad took forever to get to the table.  Really Sierra?  Sorry, but you weren't under real 'pressure' but then again, you don't understand what pressure is.

Kind of sad seeing Kate skyping with her girlfriend knowing what we know what happened after the 'season'.

Love Captain Lee.  Cute pajamas Kate....

I'm loving Emily.  And Emily is 'reading' you both, Kelley and Nico.  From what I've seen, she's a smart girl and a good stew.

It will be interesting to see how much of a tip these ego hosts leave for the crew.

• Like 1
  • Love 10

I will be up tomorrow at about 7:45 . Can I please have two fried eggs over easy with potatoes and bacon with potatoes or hash browns and English muffins or crumpets with strawberry jam around 8:30 am?

Damn, I am now hungry in advance! Tummy is rumbling!

Edited by mbaywife123
Because I love potatoes so much!
  • Like 1
  • Love 5

Ben is an amazing chef.  I don't think I've ever seen him repeat a dish/dinner he's so creative.  That 12 course dinner was super top end-beet and ginger gazpacho, conch, sushi grade tuna, rack of lamb, just unbelievable.  That said, 12  courses for 6 people is a little ridiculous to ask for on a yacht with a tiny galley kitchen.  And it went on waaaay too long but that wasn't Ben's fault, that should be expected when ordering a 12 course dinner.  The primary seemed to be the only one really enjoying it.

The crew did a lot of work for this charter with the water toys, food and listening to the guests icky sexual fantasies. I hope they get a humongous tip but you never know.

• Like 1
  • Love 9

Sierra completely misunderstood the picky eaters initial remark about the salad because it was so huge compared to the rest of the courses the woman asked if this meant she wasn't getting the remaining courses and Sierra said yes even though that wasn't remotely the case. Did anyone see what she was served instead of the lamb because that huge ass salad seemed a better substitute for a more hearty course than that small conch salad and obviously the guest was confused because she didn't know what conch was and had been misinformed earlier by the foodie who told her it was fish. 

I thought Ben was an ass because he didn't care for the guest's preferences he left it all up to Sierra and was dismissive of her when she came to him with questions. She might have had decent ideas for dishes but it's clear she isn't a cook. There was absolutely no reason that he couldn't have seared the tuna given that the course was literally raw fish in a sauce, so the components were done when it was time for Sierra to sear the tuna but then he couldn't even give her specific timing instructions when she asked. And again why did he even do that comparitvely "large" tuna dish as an unnecessary substitute for a tuna dish, that is another dish that would have been the perfect substitution for the lamb course.

Trevor wondering why the crew wasn't apologizing to him was BEYOND delusional. Thank goodness he and his hair left the boat.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, annewithaneee said:

That female guest is why people don't take genuine food allergies and dietary restrictions all that seriously. I think Kate should have had a quick chat with her to figure out how she wanted to participate in the tasting, but still, that shellfish aversion seemed to vanish immediately. I'm guessing she doesn't have Celiac, either, she just heard gluten is icky from a mommy blog or something. 

...and she's watched a lot of those specious food videos that make a bunch of unsubstantiated claims...

This is precisely what I came here to comment on. Many people (including myself) have life-threatening allergies. Not only did she have the temerity to claim allergies she probably doesn't have (if you're allergic, you can't eat it, period point blank)... She then goes on to claim she's not picky. In sure she doesn't care how her behavior effects others.

The Trevor tribute video on WWHL was everything!

Now on next week's mystery... What is an "Alaskan Face"? I'm afraid to google. LOL

• Love 5
8 hours ago, njbchlover said:

I didn't understand the whole dynamic of that group.  They were very strange.  

I also don't think they actually have ever sat through an entire 12 course tasting menu before, either.  I think it was just something that the lead passenger thought would be a "classy" or "sophisticated" thing to do on a yacht.  Also, it isn't exactly something that a tween/teen would really appreciate, although she seemed to be more interested in it than the difficult guest (still cannot figure out exactly what the hell she does eat?).

A nouveau riche snobbish bitch.....

I don't think they ever sat through an entire 12 course tasting meal prepared by one chef with minimal help in a very tiny kitchen.  Also with one guest dining with massive eating restrictions that necessitated one entirely different set of tastings. The guests did not think that one through. 

With the requests for the elaborate meal and all of the outdoor toys, it seems like they wanted to make sure they got their money's worth.

• Like 1
  • Love 10

Wow. I don't know who was worse - Trevor? Or those charter guests? 

Okay, clearly Trevor was the winner....or loser? His douchetasticness knows no bounds. Look, I have pretty strong opinions against war and the modern military system, but I know that most enlisted men and women have good intentions; and I would never NEVER make fun of PTSD. Or someone's fallen brothers. Where did that even come from? Kelley must have been talking to someone previously in the night about losing friends in the war. But I would also wager that Trevor has always wanted to join the military, maybe he even signed up and was rejected. Because that is A LOT of bitterness stored up in that little body. 

Then he comes back the next day, all faux-contrite. "I'm still learning, Cap. I want to learn from you, Cap". He should know you can't butter up Captain Lee! He runs a tight ship. And I absolutely agree that Trevor would get drunk and act a fool again. It's quite clear that he's BARELY holding his anger and resentment in during the day. Get a little alcohol in him and it all comes pouring out. He doesn't need to be on another yacht, he needs to be in therapy. 

Best part of Trevor leaving? Nico gets the top bunk! 

But still....those charter guests were awful as well. First we've got the lady who has a dietary restriction list a mile long - AND needs her water at a certain Ph level? That's a first for me. How would one even KNOW? Then they request a 12 course tasting menu, but get all perturbed that it's taking too long. Okay, I'm no expert here. I've never been on a yacht, and the fanciest restaurant I've ever been to is Cheesecake Factory. But I would think that they would realize that being on a ship with a much smaller kitchen and only ONE chef would mean you wouldn't get the same exact pace or experience that you would in a full service 5 star restaurant. I thought Ben probably did the best he could with what he had. 

Then food restriction lady has the nerve to complain that she isn't getting what everyone else is getting? What do you expect when you've delivered such an extensive "no-no" list. First she's all, "I can't eat x, y, z" - but then she's all, "I want what they're having!" in her best Veruca Salt voice. Egads. 

And the comments. The comments! I don't know if they were playing up for the cameras, but it wasn't funny. Joking about people on a smaller yacht needing your money. "Three grand is sewer money"? Well, call my house a sewer then and pass the Benjamins! And that one guy to Emily - "If something happens to my wife"....I'm with Kate. I'd commit freaking suicide. 

I'm not really looking forward to more of these people next week. I really feel for the crew. The deckhands helping them with the pool looked more like they were supervising a bunch of toddlers in a daycare center. 

I did feel badly for Sierra, but on the other hand - this is yachting. It can get stressful at times. You have to have thick skin and just roll with it. I do think Ben should have probably just taken her IDEAS for super picky lady, but not actually had her help in the kitchen. She was a mess. I mean, usually if something isn't working the first thing you do is check to make sure it's plugged in. I'd probably get frustrated with her too. 

And Nico and the hot tub. Yikes. Kelley handled that nicely. I would have been freaking out left, right, up, and down. 

• Like 1
  • Love 16
10 hours ago, chick binewski said:

So the guests were human traffickers, no?

This would literally not shock me. Creepy bunch indeed. 

8 hours ago, breezy424 said:

I'm loving Emily.  And Emily is 'reading' you both, Kelley and Nico.  From what I've seen, she's a smart girl and a good stew.

Yup. Love her. She is a clever little whipper-snapper. She knows exactly what to do with those boys. Kelley was even folding linens!

• Like 1
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, rho said:

Ben...I don't even know. Why does he need a stew and a deckie in the kitchen to help? I know 12 courses is a lot of work but his tasting menu was primarily raw fish and sorbet.

Because the kitchen is really small, because he doesn't have 20 pans and/or casseroles, and that you have to wash and clean every dishes asap in order to be able to continue your service ;)

Edited by Diane Mars
spelling. Again.
  • Love 8
47 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

Okay, clearly Trevor was the winner....or loser? His douchetasticness knows no bounds. Look, I have pretty strong opinions against war and the modern military system, but I know that most enlisted men and women have good intentions; and I would never NEVER make fun of PTSD. Or someone's fallen brothers. Where did that even come from? Kelley must have been talking to someone previously in the night about losing friends in the war. But I would also wager that Trevor has always wanted to join the military, maybe he even signed up and was rejected. Because that is A LOT of bitterness stored up in that little body. 

I totally agree with this! I have a lot of issues with how our country spends its money on military/defense, and certain prevalent attitudes about and within the military. I don't support a lot of it. But most of our soldiers believe they're fighting to protect our freedom, and whether or not I think that's actually our government's intention, that's more than enough to earn my respect.

I have no idea what Trevor thought he was doing; it was like he suddenly became a sentient YouTube comment, spewing out sentence fragments of the worst things you could ever say about soldiers. I think the tequila told him he was going tit for tat, because somebody laughed at his (very laughable) past career, so why not say ridiculously inflammatory shit about someone else's, even if Kelley hadn't made any Paul Mitchell jokes. There was something deeply ingrained in him that made all that shit come out, and it was one of the uglier things I've heard on reality TV. And I watch an appalling amount of reality shows.

• Love 14

I agree with everyone else.  This was the nastiest group of guest we have seen so far on this show.  Creepy.

And little miss I can't eat ANYTHING was total BS.  I think these "guests" wanted to throw everything they could at the crew just because they could. My bet is they give a crappy tip.

The 12 course tasting dinner was interesting to me but I had no idea it would take so long.  I am assuming because it was done on a Yacht with a small galley and only one chef it took much longer than normal.  The main guest guy was the only one that seemed to be enjoying it and like Ben said that is all that matters. 

• Love 6

I think the scripts are showing.

Last week, Ben--perennial crowd favorite--was lazy; this week, he rises to the occasion, he's the hardest working man in show business.  Redemption arc.  Staff reduction just in time for the most demanding guests ever--all the water toys imaginable and twelve courses with a multiple food allergy handicap.  All hands on deck!  I see the writers sitting around their table and one of them says, "I know!  At the end of the list, say that she wants her water at a certain Ph level, too."  Then they all high five and laugh their asses off.

I also have to wonder, if the chain of command is still in place, off-duty and onshore, to the extent that Kelley has complete authority to ban his crew subordinates from the boat, wouldn't he also have some responsibility to keep them from getting shit-faced abusive drunk in the first place?  Fish or fowl, show.

I really liked that the Primary dressed for dinner in a suit and tie.  "I'm not picky" was hilarious.

Edited by candall
  • Love 3

Even in restaurants with more than one chef and a large kitchen a 12 course tasting menu is going to be 2 1/2-3 hours minimum which appeared to be the timeframe for this meal.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 6

It is my understanding that the $55k they pay for their trip...er, to be on the show, includes the tip and the "5-star hotel" before and after.  I think the actual tip amount is determined by the producers depending on the storyline they want to tell about each charter group.

49 minutes ago, candall said:

I also have to wonder, if the chain of command is still in place, off-duty and onshore, to the extent that Kelley has complete authority to ban his crew subordinates from the boat

I wondered about that. Why does he have authority to essentially deny a person his own bed? I could see confining him to his bed, but not denying him the bed.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, annewithaneee said:

I have no idea what Trevor thought he was doing; it was like he suddenly became a sentient YouTube comment, spewing out sentence fragments of the worst things you could ever say about soldiers. I think the tequila told him he was going tit for tat, because somebody laughed at his (very laughable) past career, so why not say ridiculously inflammatory shit about someone else's, even if Kelley hadn't made any Paul Mitchell jokes. There was something deeply ingrained in him that made all that shit come out, and it was one of the uglier things I've heard on reality TV. And I watch an appalling amount of reality shows.

Yes! HE is the one who brought up the hair model thing, as if it made him so super special. Then he's surprised when people think it's ridiculous? But beyond that, Ben was kind of the one sparring with him prior to getting on the bus. Nico even entered the fray a bit. Kelley wasn't involved at ALL, and he randomly starts in on the Marines? Just a dick move, no way around it. 

53 minutes ago, gaPeach said:

My bet is they give a crappy tip.

Yup. I get the feeling their money is new, and maybe tenuous. They're not letting go of much of it. 

49 minutes ago, candall said:

Last week, Ben--perennial crowd favorite--was lazy; this week, he rises to the occasion, he's the hardest working man in show business.  Redemption arc.

I know everyone has a different perspective, but I didn't see Ben as "lazy" last week. I saw it more as him being very OCD and there was no set plan in place. Yes, he would have preferred not to do a big meal a few hours after the clam bake, but I think he would have been fine if he had just known going in, so he could be prepared, mentally and logistically. I'm the same way. I need a plan. If things are up in the air, I panic. 

Also, I think it was like 2 when he was making the lunch this time - giving him many hours to plan and prep for the 12 course meal. Whereas, he was actually off the boat around 5-6 last time, and needed to get back if he was going to have to serve them again around 9. I thought he was a bit bratty about it, especially the aftermath with Kate. But I didn't see it as laziness. 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, dleighg said:

I wondered about that. Why does he have authority to essentially deny a person his own bed? I could see confining him to his bed, but not denying him the bed.

I too, spent some time thinking about it.  My brain settled on probably a production supported decision.  I heard the gal deckhand, Ben and someone else use the word "threatening" when talking to the Captain.  I think there was some stuff that wasn't shown that was worse than what we actually saw.  That's saying something about how big of an asswad Trevor is.

Ahhh, Trevor.  Good bye.  You were uglier than a bag of smashed assholes.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I always notice that everyone is barefoot on these boats, which I love as I prefer being barefoot all the time. I assume it is because shoes would mess up the nice wood decks. I recall (I think on BD Med, or maybe last season's BD) a country hoe down party where everyone was wearing cowboy boots. THAT is sanctioned on a yacht?

6 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

I know everyone has a different perspective, but I didn't see Ben as "lazy" last week. I saw it more as him being very OCD and there was no set plan in place. Yes, he would have preferred not to do a big meal a few hours after the clam bake, but I think he would have been fine if he had just known going in, so he could be prepared, mentally and logistically. I'm the same way. I need a plan. If things are up in the air, I panic. 

I did as well plus I read he said on twitter what you did not see is that he cooked them lunch before the Clambake so essentially they were asking him to cook two dinners the second one with no real set plan.

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, fifty8th said:

I did as well plus I read he said on twitter what you did not see is that he cooked them lunch before the Clambake so essentially they were asking him to cook two dinners the second one with no real set plan.

Ah, okay. Yea, three meals when they boarded the ship at what? Noon? Two o'clock? That seems a bit excessive. 

The pasty fat guest with the hairy back. Holy crap, that was one of the most disgusting things I have seen on any of these charter eppy's, and his personality made it even worse. Dude, take some of your new money and go get that shit lasered off for good.  

Who in the hell asks for a 12 course tasting menu? A pretentious dickwad, I guess. 

So Sierra wants to leave now? She got all butthurt because of what? I really didn't catch what warranted her tears. Was it the big salad that took too long to make? Ben not kissing her ass? I might need to go re-watch that part.

• Love 7
21 minutes ago, fifty8th said:

But see, that's what I mean about storylines being artfully crafted by production.  Guests arrive, have a nice lunch, relax before motoring out to a beach for the day's main yachtie-event--a clambake--then discuss some custom-tailored snackies for a late night nosh.

That's a different tale than guests arrive, wait several hours for a fly-specked clambake, then the chef saves himself a few steps by suggesting "tapas" as opposed to a proper dinner.  Hey, lucky you didn't get the Doritos and salsa.

I didn't mean "scripted" as in, everyone memorizing their lines.  I meant the story is conceived in the writer's room and then the details are arranged and the footage is edited so that story gets told.

I'm cynical.  Blame "Adam Ruins Everything."  Those Alaska show people live in Seattle?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, dleighg said:

wasn't the trouble-girl "no seafood except for fish"? And Kate called conch "fish". That's shellfish, which I would call in the category of "seafood that is NOT fish"????

Kate did not call the conch fish it was the male foodie guest who said it was fish.

• Love 3