Type keyword(s) to search

Speechless in the Media

This is one of those shows that will likely spawn a lot of commentary, and I'm hoping at least some of it will be by people who know what they are talking about.

For now, here are a few reviews and an interview with the showrunner, mostly from mainstream (not disability movement) sources. The range of reactions in the metacritic blurbs shows how the reviews will probably say as much about the reviewers as the show, which could be interesting, I suppose:

Interview with showrunner: http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/speechless-abc-premiere-creator-disabled-actor-micah-fowler-1201867014/

Metacritic review aggregation: http://www.metacritic.com/tv/speechless-2016

"Why? Because you asked why.": http://www.seat42f.com/speechless-review.html

ETA: Here's another review: http://www.vulture.com/2016/09/speechless-recap-season-1-episode-1.html

Would really like to see some interviews with Micah Fowler, who plays JJ. Nothing about us without us....

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 1

I don't want to break the rules here, so I will not post a link or comment. 

I just thought it is interesting/cool that the kid's name is JJ, he has cerebral palsy, and communicates via AAC.

Just check the news for political rally in Florida over the weekend

• Love 1
On 12/9/2016 at 7:56 AM, alexvillage said:

Despite the terrible language - "wheelchair bound" - good article. Notice the fact that there are only two disabled directors in the guild. Not a lot of representation in Hollywood. 

http://www.vulture.com/2016/12/abc-speechless-disability-behind-the-scenes.html?mid=facebook_vulture

Wheelchair bound is what most people are used to seeing - it's a lot better than some of the more... colorful alternatives. Sure, wheelchair user would be better, but wheelchair bound is better than a lot of things they could be saying.

3 hours ago, bros402 said:

Wheelchair bound is what most people are used to seeing - it's a lot better than some of the more... colorful alternatives. Sure, wheelchair user would be better, but wheelchair bound is better than a lot of things they could be saying.

Wheelchair user. People who use a wheelchair are not bound to it, they might have a seat belt, but are not bound. They are certainly not bound in the sense that they cannot go anywhere. The wheelchair gives them freedom to go places, do things.

The idea of "wheelchair bound" was used in a pitiful way, as if disabled people who use wheelchairs are condemned to sit all day, doing nothing, being useless.

I don't know any wheelchair user who is ok with the there "wheelchair bound". If people are used to see the term, it is because of ableism and pointing out that this is not ok is, to me, a duty - if I want to deserve to be called an ally.

• Love 2

I don't know anyone who says "wheelchair bound" who has any personal or even second-hand experience with wheelchairs or people who use them. It's just not ever said anywhere in the community of people who use, maintain, manufacture, sell, or otherwise have any contact with the issue, as far as I have ever encountered. It's not even that it's taboo, it's just so wildly inaccurate that it never occurs to anyone to say it.

But then it does become a tell for anyone who says it, indicating they are holding negative and inaccurate concepts about what wheelchairs do, how they work, how they're used, why they exist, and the lives of people who use them, so it does sound offensive and jarring when someone does say it.

I don't think "wheelchair user" is cumbersome or sticks out in a sentence as somehow contrived. It's pretty neutral and says what it means, without a lot of baggage.

• Love 1

I've also never heard the term "wheelchair bound " before, and my son goes to a school where about half the kids are in wheelchairs. (Well, they arrive in wheelchairs..the aides get them out and doing other things during the day )

My son can walk, but because of his combo visual impairment (and unwillingness to use a cane ) and motor planning delays, he will use a wheelchair for long distance. Although, I never called it a wheelchair..I call it his "wheelie"- and right now I can't remember why ..it's been several years.

but, when I say "hey, you wanna use your wheelie?) I think it sounds like "fun" for my kid ( who is almost 12) because he gets to be "wheeled" around. It's a small, portable wheelchair, not a lot bigger than a stroller, so he likes to be "chauffeured " around. 

10 hours ago, possibilities said:

I don't know anyone who says "wheelchair bound" who has any personal or even second-hand experience with wheelchairs or people who use them. It's just not ever said anywhere in the community of people who use, maintain, manufacture, sell, or otherwise have any contact with the issue, as far as I have ever encountered. It's not even that it's taboo, it's just so wildly inaccurate that it never occurs to anyone to say it.

But then it does become a tell for anyone who says it, indicating they are holding negative and inaccurate concepts about what wheelchairs do, how they work, how they're used, why they exist, and the lives of people who use them, so it does sound offensive and jarring when someone does say it.

I don't think "wheelchair user" is cumbersome or sticks out in a sentence as somehow contrived. It's pretty neutral and says what it means, without a lot of baggage.

I've heard much worse than wheelchair bound - usually the incredibly hateful "cripple" (I'm not a wheelchair user (99% of the time, I don't use any mobility aids) and I have had people call me a cripple - or the R word).

Yeah, wheelchair user is neutral, but a lot of people are asses and just say the first thing that comes to their head without any consideration for how the person it is targeted at might feel about it.

20 hours ago, alexvillage said:

Wheelchair user. People who use a wheelchair are not bound to it, they might have a seat belt, but are not bound. They are certainly not bound in the sense that they cannot go anywhere. The wheelchair gives them freedom to go places, do things.

The idea of "wheelchair bound" was used in a pitiful way, as if disabled people who use wheelchairs are condemned to sit all day, doing nothing, being useless.

I don't know any wheelchair user who is ok with the there "wheelchair bound". If people are used to see the term, it is because of ableism and pointing out that this is not ok is, to me, a duty - if I want to deserve to be called an ally.

Honestly, with some people, it is not worth getting into a yelling match every time they say something offensive. With most people, if you correct them, they will go, "Oh, okay." and hopefully only slip up a few times.

But some people are not like that - for the most part (thankfully) they are older individuals who were not raised in homes where respecting others was taught.

Edited by bros402
  • Love 1

Has the show been renewed for next year? I thought I saw that the networks are starting to decide now if shows are going to be renewed or cancelled for next year. I really hope this one gets renewed.

ABC is usually one of the last networks to announce their renewals. I don't think they have announced any renewals yet. Only the CW has done a mass renewal announcement and I think there were a few announcements for big hits like Empire on Fox.

• Love 1

Despite my mixed feelings about this week's "Oscar Party" episode, I thought these new write-ups gave pretty good perspectives on it and the show as a whole:

Christianity Today

Uproxx: What's Alan Watching 

Vox

:)

Also, I may not do this for every upcoming episode, but I'm especially excited about the next new one: 

"S-U-R--Surprise!" (1x17, airs March 8) (official promo pix and press release/synopsis)

After Jimmy's treatment of the other special-needs dads in the support group -- taking advantage of them, not even beginning to see them as individuals ("You have interests. Taste. You're like a ... person!") until one dad turned out to like the same music he does -- it could be so sweet to see him try finding common ground with Kenneth (though I would think their love for JJ, and possibly occasional frustration with Maya, would be enough...). Looking forward to seeing more of the Maya/Dylan dynamic explored too, and JJ/Ray are usually great.

Edited by GRChereck
update
On 2/24/2017 at 0:34 PM, GRChereck said:

it could be so sweet to see him try finding common ground with Kenneth (though I would think their love for JJ, and possibly occasional frustration with Maya, would be enough...).

Well, best-case scenario, J&K feel the need to find something in common out of concern that Jimmy hasn't been bonding or spending time with JJ enough lately (and/or he feels inadequate next to Kenneth as a positive male influence in JJ's life). :) On the other hand, I guess it's possible their "struggle" could come out of one constantly badmouthing things the other likes (or, somehow, the two getting into a p*ssing match over who's had a more difficult life); I kinda hope not, but we shall see... :\

Programming Note:

There is one more new episode this month, "D-I--DING" (1x18) (airing 3/15). After that, we're getting at least another two-week break -- 3/22 is supposed to be a rerun (1x11, "Road Trip"), and 3/29 is set for sneak preview of the new series Imaginary Mary.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/speechless/listings/

(edited)
23 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

This week's episode (3/8) is a new one. S-U-R SURPRISE (1x17).

Yup -- I put up a link to the press release and promo pix a couple posts ago. :) I'm definitely looking forward to this, especially for the Kenneth/Jimmy pairing -- I love both those guys so much, but for whatever reason their dynamic hasn't really been explored yet on this show* (I'd say their interactions in "Sick Day" came closest to that)...

* - I just thought of something: Their plot could turn out to be just a cute meta-commentary about this; but they do both seem to lack adult male friendships, and that could be addressed...

Edited by GRChereck

Next new episode:

"C-H--CHEATER!" (1x19) (airs April 5)

Aww! I just said the other day about how I've been wanting a Ray/Jimmy plot. :D 

Also, I'm thinking this might be the first real Maya/Kenneth team-up since "Sled Hockey" (1x9); should be interesting to see how they handle JJ's situation here...

Edited by GRChereck

fixed it; hope it works now. :)

A few thoughts about the Ray plot: 

-- I've got a bad feeling he's afraid his dad is about to get fired at any moment if he has started stealing stuff from work, like items from customers' bags, or whole pieces of luggage (or else Ray might be keeping track of the stuff his dad takes, figuring out how much it may have cost, and trying to earn money to replace the stolen goods as quickly as possible)*;

-- Ray might have real concerns about helping his parents pay the bills (if they've been worried about money problems lately), or being prepared in case his dad is laid off (if he's heard anything about the airline not doing so well);

-- It's possible he could want his dad to be able to quit, either because he's embarrassed / ashamed to tell people what Jimmy does, or because he's aware of the stress it causes him;

-- Jimmy may have started complaining about work or lack of money within earshot of the kids, leaving Ray with the impression that "work is for suckers" (which would be sort of in keeping with the boy's behavior in "The Club" -- as much as he "identif[ied] as rich" and enjoyed the sweet life, he ultimately decided it wasn't worth having to actually work at the country club for the perks if it also meant having to deal with his family taking advantage of his labor);

-- Maybe he would simply rather be able to buy everything he wants (as opposed to Dylan, who has just sort of resigned herself to disappointment), though considering how quickly he wants the money, he could be trying to make fast cash just to attend an expensive event -- or get someone a pricey gift for a special occasion -- coming up soon.

* - I hope they don't go this route, but it wouldn't surprise me if they're headed in this direction with both characters... Jimmy has been understandably concerned about both being thrifty and providing for his family, plus he's been known to take advantage of people with more money to spend, so I wouldn't put it past him to take his frustration with ill-mannered fliers to its logical extreme (figuring that if they can afford plane tickets, they won't miss a few little items or a bag here and there, and if they do, they can easily afford to replace them)... Also, as much as I hate to think he'd be willing to risk losing his job and his family health-insurance plan for outright unethical / illegal behavior, this sort of plot would seem consistent with his and Ray's plot in "Bonfire" (wherein father and son ended up having to learn lessons from each other), and it would tie in all-too-neatly with JJ getting into an ethical breach himself (a cheating scandal).

Edited by GRChereck
additional thoughts

Programming note: Oddly enough, after next week's "Cheater!" we're getting another rerun...

Fortunately, it's "Sled Hockey," which I've been wanting to see again anyway; very funny Maya/Kenneth and Ray/Dylan plots, and a sweet Jimmy/JJ plot too. :) Plus, when it first aired it was up against NBC's 'Hairspray Live!' musical event -- it's still the lowest-rated episode of the season so far -- so those who missed it the first time can check it out. 

Also, if the finale ends up being May 10, we should be getting the last four eps of s.1 in a row with no breaks...

1 hour ago, GRChereck said:

Programming note: Oddly enough, after next week's "Cheater!" we're getting another rerun...

Fortunately, it's "Sled Hockey," which I've been wanting to see again anyway; very funny Maya/Kenneth and Ray/Dylan plots, and a sweet Jimmy/JJ plot too. :) Plus, when it first aired it was up against NBC's 'Hairspray Live!' musical event -- it's still the lowest-rated episode of the season so far -- so those who missed it the first time can check it out. 

Also, if the finale ends up being May 10, we should be getting the last four eps of s.1 in a row with no breaks...

May Sweeps

(edited)
On 3/27/2017 at 8:52 PM, Skyfall said:

May Sweeps

Yup... Oh, and now it appears that the ABC Wednesday comedy block is also having reruns on 4/19. :\

For this show that night, they're re-airing the Valentine's Day episode, which I thought was a cute one. (Of course, this means the finale will have to be 5/17...)

Meanwhile, here's a TV Guide First Look at one of the May episodes:

It's Full-On Party Mode for a 'Speechless' Prom Night! :)

Edited by GRChereck
update

Deadline: Awardsline Emmy Contenders Panel -- Speechless, The Last Man on Earth, and The Mick 

Minnie talked a bit about an upcoming episode (I'm guessing the next new one, "Runaway"), which she described as "brilliantly meta and beautiful;" she explained that Maya is angry about JJ wanting to run away from home and assert his independence but also feels compelled to help him do so. 

EDIT: Yup, I was right...

"R-U-N--Runaway" (1x20) (press release & promo pix)

Aww, Jimmy... :( But the Dylan/Kenneth pairing sounds fun, and comedian Zach Anner has a guest role. :)

Edited by GRChereck
update

I've got that issue -- good piece. :) 

EDIT: It's up on their site now, too!

https://www.tvinsider.com/157216/minnie-driver-guest-column-moms-on-tv/

"P-R--Prom" (1x21) (airing May 3)

Aw, JJ's subplot sounds so sweet! :) And I guess I could understand ABC wanting to give a little warning about where Ray's subplot goes rather than totally shock viewers with it (sort of like how the press release for the Halloween ep basically gave away the whole JJ-gets-drunk plot).

The Maya/Jimmy plot doesn't sound particularly promising -- you'd think they'd actually try to enjoy what little time they get to themselves* ... unless they just want something to take their minds off missing and/or worrying about the kids, or they want to make that time so absolutely miserable they won't want more of it, or whatever. :\ But in any event, I suppose depending on the kinds of things they argue about and how far they dig into each other, it could end up at least on a par with "Sick Day" (1x13) as an insightful look at their marriage...

(* - "Halloween" may have been a special case, as Jimmy was really emotionally hurt by the kids not taking part in the family costume -- I imagine dragging him back into some old argument wouldn't have seemed right to Maya. Plus, no matter how much she let him do to cheer himself up, they both became miserable all over again when those trick-or-treaters showed up; and they were ecstatic to have to deal with the kids' problems as they each came home.)

Edited by GRChereck
additional thoughts; update

I don't look at the photos ahead of time, but Mason Cook had a couple of tweets that have me curious:

Don't know if it's this episode or a later one.  Well he's a good sport about being the butt of the joke, which he usually is.

"M-A-May-Jay" (1x22) (airing May 10)

I don't see him in the pix, but Paul F. Tompkins is supposed to be a guest star in this one. :) Also, while there's no mention of Ray in the synopsis, it looks like he figures into Dylan's plot (I'm guessing this is the episode Mason was tweeting about above :D )...

Edited by GRChereck
typo

"C-A-Camp" (1x23) (season finale, May 17)

I hope the Jimmy/Dylan plot has a callback to their eBay money-making scheme in "Ray-Cation" -- I could see them possibly trying to make a little extra cash for a summer trip. :)

Also, it looks like the yearbooks are out at the kids' school; I'm guessing Ray's desire to "reinvent" himself will probably be related to that...

(edited)
15 hours ago, 71dude said:

Solved one of Mason's tweets - the second one must refer to next week's show.

Yup, the first one must have been when they were filming the Prom-episode "Reagan Kids" / tomatoes tag. :D

https://www.paleycenter.org/2017-speechless

I hope they put this on Hulu - I'll sign up for the free trial!

Aww, I'd love to see that. :) I'll keep an eye out for any articles, too...

Edited by GRChereck
14 hours ago, 71dude said:

I'm curious about why Micah's ankles were tied together?

Maybe his legs might pull in/tense up? Or maybe he had some kind of knee surgery in the past like JJ?

• Love 1

Minnie Driver just tweeted:  @Speechless_ABC has officially been picked up for a second season.

I'm very happy that Speechless and Fresh Off the Boat were finally renewed - better late than never.

• Love 3
(edited)

Ah, dude, you beat me to the punch! :D

I think JRB is a lovely guy anyway; but yeah, I really enjoyed hearing his insights into the audition / casting process, nice comments about his castmates and the material he has to work with, and all the behind-the-scenes tidbits (about "May-Jay" and other episodes). 

Another Paley Center panel-related article:

Red Carpet Report 

:)

Edited by GRChereck
  • Love 1