Type keyword(s) to search

Speechless in the Media

I see ABC is doing a wonderful job promoting Speechless. I'm being sarcastic. I don't know why they aren't airing reruns in the new time slot. I've already seen ads for the Cool Kids which looks stupid so Speechless could gain an audience if ABC was paying attention.

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

I see ABC is doing a wonderful job promoting Speechless. I'm being sarcastic. I don't know why they aren't airing reruns in the new time slot. I've already seen ads for the Cool Kids which looks stupid so Speechless could gain an audience if ABC was paying attention.

I just find it funny they want to revive TGIF when the past year, they said how they wanted to get away from comedy Friday's saying those were in the past. Then after their reality and dramas all failed. ABC is now: "Hey, let's try to revive TGIF, people go out less these days, especially on Fridays." Then they are doing a bad job even promoting the shows in that slot and well let's face it, most shows are just over a month away from airing. 

• Love 1
(edited)

First casting news of the new season: John Cleese as Maya's dad! :)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/speechless-heads-london-john-cleese-tow-1129945

I would've thought this is the sort of thing they would save for the s.3 finale, unless they're planning to reserve that for JJ's graduation or whatever... (I suppose it makes sense that, with s.2 having left the family in kind of a desperate situation, Maya and/or Jimmy would turn to their parents for any sort of help.)

Edited by GRChereck
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I'm really excited about this. Maybe one of JJ films won a prize which was a trip to London? Maya's father doesn't know her has grandchildren so I doubt he'd help her.

According to the official ABC "lead sheet" for s.3, she's at least going to try to have him help her out:

https://www.disneyabcpress.com/abc/shows/speechless/press-releases/

Speechless: Season 3 Lead Sheet

SPEECHLESS (Fridays, 8:30-9:00 p.m. ET/PT)
Season Premieres Friday, Oct. 5, 2018

Maya DiMeo is the mom who will do anything for her husband, Jimmy, and kids Ray, Dylan, and JJ, her eldest son with cerebral palsy. As season 3 begins of this amusing and often unexpected comedy, the family – along with JJ’s, aide Kenneth – head to London to meet up with Maya’s long-estranged father, Martin, to ask him to help them in their time of need. Will they even reconcile? Maya grapples with the fact her children are growing up fast and JJ will be heading off to college soon, leaving her a lot more free time on her hands to focus on Ray and Dylan. 

“Speechless” stars Minnie Driver (“About a Boy,” “The Riches,” “Good Will Hunting”) as Maya DiMeo, John Ross Bowie (“The Big Bang Theory”) as Jimmy DiMeo, Mason Cook as Ray DiMeo, Micah Fowler as JJ DiMeo, Kyla Kenedy as Dylan DiMeo and Cedric Yarbrough as Kenneth.

Scott Silveri (“Friends”) writes and is executive producer of the show, along with “Fresh Off the Boat”’s Jake Kasdan and Melvin Mar. The series is from Twentieth Century Fox Television and ABC Studios.

As for the rest of it, more Maya/Dylan pairings would certainly be welcome and I love her bond with Ray, though I wonder where that will leave Jimmy -- hopefully more plots with JJ and/or Kenneth? :) 

(Also, I just noticed a goof in the THR piece I linked -- I'm guessing they meant filming starts Monday, July 30, since August 30 is a Thursday... :p )

Edited by GRChereck
1 hour ago, GRChereck said:

According to the official ABC "lead sheet" for s.3, she's at least going to try to have him help her out:

https://www.disneyabcpress.com/abc/shows/speechless/press-releases/

As for the rest of it, more Maya/Dylan pairings would certainly be welcome and I love her bond with Ray, though I wonder where that will leave Jimmy -- hopefully more plots with JJ and/or Kenneth? :) 

(Also, I just noticed a goof in the THR piece I linked -- I'm guessing they meant filming starts Monday, July 30, since August 30 is a Thursday... :p )

I read that on Twitter If the family can't afford a home how can they afford airfare and hotel rooms in London? I wonder if one of the kids will fall in love while on vacation?

They didn’t lose the home because they couldn’t afford it. They were evicted because they broke the lease by having a pet, and the owner wants to sell the land to the neighbor.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

They didn’t lose the home because they couldn’t afford it. They were evicted because they broke the lease by having a pet, and the owner wants to sell the land to the neighbor.

That's true but they can't afford a new home Speechless has made it clear that the family has always struggled with money.

Associated Press: Cleese leaves co-stars 'Speechless' -- Scott Silveri and JRB talk about working with one of their comedy heroes :)

Programming note -- upcoming reruns:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/speechless/listings/

10/5/18 (Fr.) 8:30 PM ABC Season 3 premiere (*)

9/28/18 (Fr.) 8:30 PM ABC Repeat TBA (R) (*)

9/21/18 (Fr.) 8:30 PM ABC Repeat TBA (R) (*)

9/14/18 (Fr.) 8:30 PM ABC Repeat TBA (R) (*)

8/31/18 (Fr.) 8:30 PM ABC (#214) E-I-- EIGHTEEN (R)

8/24/18 (Fr.) 8:30 PM ABC (#211) N-E-- NEW Y-- YEAR'S E-- EVE (R)

8/10/18 (Fr.) 8:30 PM ABC (#209) S-T-- STAR W-- WARS W-- WARS (R) 

Edited by GRChereck

First promo of s.3! :D No new footage, basically just a "s.2 highlights" thing -- it appears to focus mostly on the first half (save for a couple clips from 2x12, with the '70s-themed fundraiser):

(Whether ABC will actually air it is another matter -- as I recall, there was an ad made to promote the March 14 double episode ... and it only aired like once, during the March 7 ep. :p )

4 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I saw on the Speechless Twitter feed that Cedric and Micah were on the set of Wheel of Fortune. I'm not sure if this was for Speechless or just a cameo for the game show.

Cool

14 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I saw on the Speechless Twitter feed that Cedric and Micah were on the set of Wheel of Fortune. I'm not sure if this was for Speechless or just a cameo for the game show.

Micah Instagrammed a bunch of pix and a couple clips:

According to Cedric, it's supposed to be a "nice lil promotion & cross-over that will be airing 9/28" -- a week ahead of the s.3 premiere.

(Speaking of promotion, that s.3 ad clip I posted last week did air during last night's rerun of "N-E--New Y--Year's E--Eve.") :)

Programming note -- upcoming reruns:

10/5/18 (Fr.) 8:30 PM ABC Season 3 premiere (*)

[9/28/18 (Fr.) 8:00 PM, ABC -- "TRUTH & LIES: Jonestown, Paradise Lost," 2-hour ABC News special]

9/21/18 (Fr.) 8:30 PM ABC (#218) N-O-- NOMINEE (R)

9/18/18 (Tu.) 8:30 PM ABC (#216) A-C-- ACTION (R)

9/14/18 (Fr.) 8:30 PM ABC (#217) ONE A-N-- ANGRY M-- MAYA (R) *

[9/7/18 (Fr.) 8:00 PM, multiple networks -- "Stand Up to Cancer," 1-hour fundraiser special]

* - 'Speechless' is one of 12 outstanding honorees for Hollywood Health & Society's "Sentinel Awards" this year, particularly for this episode (I would assume more for JJ's online-dating plot than for Maya's jury-duty antics)...

Full list of finalists (press release PDF)

More about HH&S: https://hollywoodhealthandsociety.org/

TV GUIDE: How 'Speechless' Smashes Disability Stereotypes (includes comments from Silveri)

https://www.tvguide.com/news/speechless-behind-the-scenes-disabilty/ :)

Edited by GRChereck
update
On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:38 PM, GRChereck said:

Micah Instagrammed a bunch of pix and a couple clips:

According to Cedric, it's supposed to be a "nice lil promotion & cross-over that will be airing 9/28" -- a week ahead of the s.3 premiere.

(Speaking of promotion, that s.3 ad clip I posted last week did air during last night's rerun of "N-E--New Y--Year's E--Eve.") :)

This is great! I watch Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy every night. I can't wait to see them

• Love 2

More casting news for the s.3 premiere:

https://tvline.com/2018/09/07/speechless-season-3-cast-ben-savage-abc-tgif-revival/

Boy Meets World star Ben Savage is set to play "a real estate agent who crosses paths with Maya, Jimmy and the rest of the DiMeo family as the future of their home hangs in the balance." :)

Micah and Cedric were presenters at the Creative Arts Emmys this past Saturday (the ceremony airs Sept. 15 on FX):

(10 clips/pix)

Edited by GRChereck
update
On 9/13/2018 at 9:06 PM, kathyk24 said:

I received the new TV Guide in the mail today. They provided spoilers for all returning shows in addition to the season opener it looks like Maya will try to find a job.

I got that issue, too -- that does sound like a good storyline for her this season. :D

I also got Entertainment Weekly's Fall TV Preview, which had this to say:

Minnie Driver reunites with her 'Will & Grace' dad, John Cleese, in the season 3 premiere of her family sitcom. The two are playing father and daughter again -- and their relationship is just as complicated. "They had a huge fight 20 years ago, and they haven't spoken," says Driver. "And when we get evicted from our house in Los Angeles [in the season 2 finale], the only thing left for them to do is go to London and ask my dad for money." Oh, and there's a musical number! "There is a musical aspect * to the new season," says Driver, who first sang on the show in the season 2 premiere.** "I think there's gonna be a lot more because I'm obsessed with it." > OCT. 5

* Ooh, I wonder if Maya could end up working in theater or on the fringes of the music industry somehow... (Also, I hope a more musical season might involve a return engagement from Kenneth's dad and/or Jimmy reuniting with his "old punk band"!)

** This is wrong -- though it's possible whoever wrote the blurb was simply paraphrasing Minnie, and she either misremembered or was misheard. Maya (and Jimmy) first sang in s.1's mid-season premiere (1x11, "R-O--Road T-R--Trip"):

"Get your wheelchair van a-runnin'..."

Aww! :) 

More about PACER and its National Bullying Prevention Center: 

http://www.pacer.org/about/

http://www.pacer.org/bullying/

Edited by GRChereck
additional thought

I'd like to see Maya get a job working for another person with a disability. One of my pet peeves with Speechless is they introduce disabled characters and then drop them. Remember the sled hockey team from season one? Or all the new disabled students at JJ's high school? I 'd like to see them introduce someone who could be a mentor for JJ. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I'd like to see Maya get a job working for another person with a disability. One of my pet peeves with Speechless is they introduce disabled characters and then drop them. Remember the sled hockey team from season one? Or all the new disabled students at JJ's high school? I 'd like to see them introduce someone who could be a mentor for JJ. 

Bring back Zach Anner

The perfect job for Maya would be an advocate. She could help other families in IEP meetings... if IEPs exist in the universe of Speechless.

Edited by bros402
On 9/16/2018 at 7:43 PM, kathyk24 said:

"Shipping" was one of my faves of s.2 -- through the rest of the season after that episode, I was a little disappointed that they didn't really do any more with the new students and their aides. :\

From Saturday night:

:)

More about Disability Rights Legal Center: https://drlcenter.org/

• Love 2

I think JJ is an example of what TV Tropes calls the Smurfette Principle" The only disabled  character among the able bodied. Speechless is getting awards based on their portrayal of people with disabilities they should want to take advantage of that.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I think JJ is an example of what TV Tropes calls the Smurfette Principle" The only disabled  character among the able bodied. Speechless is getting awards based on their portrayal of people with disabilities they should want to take advantage of that.

While Silveri (or as TV Tropes would say, "Word of God") has said that the show was meant to be more about the story of a particular family than "disability writ large," I do find it a little odd that we haven't gotten to know any other disabled character beyond a couple episodes (particularly Taylor's brother in s.2).

I hope that with Maya backing off JJ a bit more this season (to "join the working world," and supposedly also spend more time with her two younger children), JJ might go a bit farther out into the world, interact more with other disabled individuals and possibly find a friend or mentor who can become a semi-regular recurring character. 

Check out the new poster for s.3:

:)

So the main character is off to the side while everybody else is lined up front and center? He's marginalized in the promotion, even if you don't think of him as the main character and want to call the show an ensemble of characters with equal significance.

I stopped watching the show but how they talk about disabilities and disabled people matters to me, so I come here.

If I understand what you guys are posting, it seems to me that JJ and the disabilities theme has become a major marketing tool but not so much part of the whole show. 

For what I remember of the character, JJ would be looking for other disabled people to interact, advocate - and boy will he have to advocate for himself as an adult. I was hoping that the show would be able to keep up, and hopefully employ some other disabled actors. It looks like they just want to keep the minimum to please the larger audience, not getting too deep into the real stigma. If writers cannot do that, they are not good writers, in my opinion.

Former ABC Sitcom Stars Help “Speechless” and “Fresh Off the Boat” Relaunch TGIF

https://www.laughingplace.com/w/news/2018/09/24/abc-relaunches-tgif-speechless-fresh-off-the-boat/

(Nice to see Larry and Balki a part of this -- Perfect Strangers was one of my first favorite shows as a kid. :D )

EDIT: TV Line has an exclusive first look at the promo:

https://tvline.com/2018/09/27/fresh-off-the-boat-speechless-tgif-video-abc/

Press releases / promo pix from the first two eps of the season:

"L-O-N--London (Part One)" (3x1) (a Jimmy/JJ plot right off the bat? aww...) :)

"L-O-N--London (Part Two)" (3x2) 

UPDATE: "I-N--Into The W-O--Woods" (3x3) (press release) -- since both this show and FOTB are apparently showing their Halloween eps on the 19th, I'm guessing they'll be taking off the 26th...? :\

Fortunately, looking at the guest stars, it appears that "wheelchair badass / future JJ" Lee will be putting in his first appearance since 1x20! (Also, nice to see a Kenneth/Jimmy pairing already!) :D

Edited by GRChereck
updates

New York Post: How Minnie Driver helped snare comedy legend John Cleese for her ABC sitcom

THR: 'Speechless' creator on finding heart and humor for the working class -- Q&A with Silveri about some things to expect this season 

Awards Daily: John Ross Bowie Talks Season 3 of ‘Speechless,’ the Need for More Working-Class Families on TV 

StarryMag: Catching up with JRB :)

ABC press release: October is Spooktacular -- Halloween programming (including re-airings of "It's the Great Pumpkin" and "You're Not Elected, Charlie Brown" on 10/26) 

Two pieces from TV Insider:

Sneak peek at s.3's Halloween episode (5 photos)

Ask Matt: Moving 'Speechless,' and more (Roush weighs in on Friday night network competition)

Promo -- found this last night:

Edited by GRChereck
updates
7 hours ago, GRChereck said:

Showbiz Junkies: Cedric interview (includes interesting bit in which he describes how the "reading JJ's board" scenes are filmed) 

FanFest: 5 "hashtag-worthy" moments from the s.3 premiere :D

Semi-OT, but I hope this lady's show gets picked up: Pacific Standard: Can a Disabled Palestinian American Launch the Next Big Sitcom? How comedian Maysoon Zayid is planning to reshape television

Maybe for disability representation we just need to have every disabled person who wants to act be from NJ :P

16 hours ago, rhys said:

Ray seems to have grown a yard. Anyway, I worry about this gem being on Friday. Isn't that the kiss of death for tv shows?

That's what I thought too. Are they trying to kill the show? I want them to at least make enough episodes so a UK broadcaster will buy it. None of my friends have seen it.

• Love 1
On 10/14/2018 at 5:44 AM, Gulftastic said:

That's what I thought too. Are they trying to kill the show? I want them to at least make enough episodes so a UK broadcaster will buy it. None of my friends have seen it.

They're trying to establish a "new TGIF" - and they reallllly want splitting up together to do better, or The Kids Are Alright to do well (Kids just looks baad)

• Love 1

Trying to stay positive, but those terrible numbers are really troubling. Even with future ownership I don't see how ABC can drag it to 100 (or even 88) episodes with a 0.4. Since ABC has little interest in it anymore except for syndie purposes I don't see it moving back to Tuesday or Wednesday - do they really want to build their comedy future on Single Parents and Splitting Up Together? I only hope it will tick up to a tolerable level when baseball is over. It should have aired after The Middle from the beginning.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, 71dude said:

Trying to stay positive, but those terrible numbers are really troubling. Even with future ownership I don't see how ABC can drag it to 100 (or even 88) episodes with a 0.4. Since ABC has little interest in it anymore except for syndie purposes I don't see it moving back to Tuesday or Wednesday - do they really want to build their comedy future on Single Parents and Splitting Up Together? I only hope it will tick up to a tolerable level when baseball is over. It should have aired after The Middle from the beginning.

Single Parents is decent.

Splitting up Together... I have no idea why they renewed it.

The third season rule comes into play here - they will probably be around 60 episodes at the end of the season - they only need to cross 80 to get a good streaming deal. I believe the third season of a show usually has the lowest % of being canceled - provided it has full length, or mostly full length, seasons.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, bros402 said:

Single Parents is decent.

Splitting up Together... I have no idea why they renewed it.

The third season rule comes into play here - they will probably be around 60 episodes at the end of the season - they only need to cross 80 to get a good streaming deal. I believe the third season of a show usually has the lowest % of being canceled - provided it has full length, or mostly full length, seasons.

Moving Speechless to try and get a new TGIF going along with Fresh Off the Boat (season 5 anyone), with two new shows that are ok really wasn't not a good decision by ABC. As for Splitting Up Together it was because The Middle ended and Rosanne Barr got herself fired from her own show. Even reviews for the premiere said: "Why is this show still around when you have other shows that are more worthy of the time slot like Speechless." 

• Love 1
On 10/18/2018 at 1:41 AM, bros402 said:

Single Parents is decent....

Agreed, I'm enjoying it so far. :)

And I hope you're right -- especially if it continues to get a decent Live+7 lift (see percentage-gains among both Adults 18-49 and total viewers):

https://programminginsider.com/live7-weekly-ratings-long-running-stalwarts-the-big-bang-theory-and-modern-family-lead-all-network-comedies-in-adults-18-49-gains/ :\

Ahead of Friday's Halloween ep:

FanFest: Top 5 "hashtag-worthy" moments from "L-O-N--London (Part 2)"

"N-E--New JJ" (3x4) (press release / promo pix for the next new ep, airing Nov. 2) 

FanFest: 3x3 highlights -- I love this gal's write-ups! :)

"S-T--Stage Mom" (3x5) (press release and pix; Nov. 9) 

Edited by GRChereck
updates
On 10/11/2018 at 7:06 PM, GRChereck said:

Showbiz Junkies: Cedric interview (includes interesting bit in which he describes how the "reading JJ's board" scenes are filmed) 

FanFest: 5 "hashtag-worthy" moments from the s.3 premiere :D

Semi-OT, but I hope this lady's show gets picked up: Pacific Standard: Can a Disabled Palestinian American Launch the Next Big Sitcom? How comedian Maysoon Zayid is planning to reshape television

Maysoon Zayid is awesome!

• Love 1