Type keyword(s) to search

Speechless in the Media

I am a little late but wanted to post a quote of Silveri's speech:

“The number of Americans with disabilities is a lot, people on TV with disabilities is not a lot, and the number of those people portrayed by actual performers with disabilities is like next to none. Sorry to beat you down with statistics, but the numbers don’t lie. Please believe me that I’m on no high horse talking about this stuff, because before I was part of this show I didn’t care a lick about this stuff. I am very late to the party. In the 20 years I was doing this before, the number of people I cast with disabilities was a whopping zero, and I should know better. But I’m here to share from my very positive and fortunate firsthand experience that barriers to casting those with disabilities are false and imagined, and the rewards are great.”

Specially the highlighted (by me) on that last line. End cripface. End awards for the best cripfaced actor. Genuine representation. 

• Love 4
19 hours ago, alexvillage said:

I am a little late but wanted to post a quote of Silveri's speech:

“The number of Americans with disabilities is a lot, people on TV with disabilities is not a lot, and the number of those people portrayed by actual performers with disabilities is like next to none. Sorry to beat you down with statistics, but the numbers don’t lie. Please believe me that I’m on no high horse talking about this stuff, because before I was part of this show I didn’t care a lick about this stuff. I am very late to the party. In the 20 years I was doing this before, the number of people I cast with disabilities was a whopping zero, and I should know better. But I’m here to share from my very positive and fortunate firsthand experience that barriers to casting those with disabilities are false and imagined, and the rewards are great.”

Specially the highlighted (by me) on that last line. End cripface. End awards for the best cripfaced actor. Genuine representation. 

It's amazing how few shows even have a character with a learning disability. You think shows would at least try to give a character a "flaw" by making them have a learning disability.

But shows don't seem to realize that learning disabilities are lifelong things.

• Love 1
On 6/12/2017 at 2:32 AM, bros402 said:

It's amazing how few shows even have a character with a learning disability. You think shows would at least try to give a character a "flaw" by making them have a learning disability.

But shows don't seem to realize that learning disabilities are lifelong things.

Even more amazing is how rare it is to see an actor who has a learning, intellectual, or developmental disability. Some actors have said that they do have learning disabilities (like dyslexia). I think that as soon as someone LOOKS disabled, the excuses for not hiring them show up. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Emmy-nomination submissions:

http://www.emmys.com/ballots/2017

Casting for a Comedy Series

Art Direction/Production Design for a Narrative Program (Half-Hour) -- "H-A-L--Halloween" (1x5)

Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Comedy Series -- "P-I--Pilot" (1x1) and "I-N-S--Inspirations" (1x4)

Sound Mixing for a Comedy or Drama Series (Half-Hour) -- "P-R--Prom" (1x21)

Directing for a Comedy Series -- "P-I--Pilot" (Christine Gernon) and "P-R--Prom" (Bill Purple)

Writing for a Comedy Series -- "P-I--Pilot" (Scott Silveri), "H-E-R--Hero" (1x12) (Carrie Rosen), "C-H--Cheater" (1x19) (Ron McCants), "R-U-N--Runaway" (1x20) (Mark Kunerth), "C-A--Camp" (1x23) (Matt Roller and Danny Chun), and "O-S--Oscar P-A--Party" (1x16) (Chun and Silveri)*

Comedy Series

Lead Actor in a Comedy -- John Ross Bowie

Lead Actress in a Comedy -- Minnie Driver **

Supporting Actor in a Comedy -- Mason Cook, Micah Fowler, and Cedric Yarbrough

(I couldn't find Kyla Kenedy under Supporting Actress in a Comedy... :\ )

* - the only episode I would really disagree with :p (why not "R-A-Y-C--Ray-Cation," which already has had a WGA nod, instead?)

** - Minnie has some good quotes in Hollywood Reporter's Comedy Actress Roundtable. :)

Edited by GRChereck
update

Even more amazing is how rare it is to see an actor who has a learning, intellectual, or developmental disability. Some actors have said that they do have learning disabilities (like dyslexia). I think that as soon as someone LOOKS disabled, the excuses for not hiring them show up. 

Yeah. It happens with regular jobs all the time - my hands will flap a bit more than just from anxiety during job interviews, I try to explain that I have mild CP, that I don't need much in the way of accommodations as I have learned how to provide my own accommodations. Then I never get a call back!

There's a reason that the disability employment rate under 65 is only around 35%

• Love 4

THR: 2017 TCA Award Nominations

Speechless is nominated in the Youth Programming category (rather than Comedy or New Program); still, I'm glad to see it get some recognition from the Television Critics Association. :) (Also glad to see nods for This Is Us and The Good Place -- my other favorite new shows -- and the docuseries 'OJ: Made in America,' which I liked a whole lot.) 

(edited)

I recorded that on the Sundance Channel and watched it over the 4th of July weekend. While Minnie's show is the only one of those I watch, I thought all the ladies were really funny and had interesting things to say (about how women have been and are still treated in Hollywood). 

I'm looking forward to the Comedy Showrunners roundtable next; it's supposed to air on Sundance July 23.

Decider: JRB Q&A :)

John talks about how Jimmy relates to Ray, JJ and Dylan each in a different way*; favorite storylines / episodes / moments from s.1; the show's fandom and responses he gets from families with special-needs children (as well as how the show has adjusted to criticism**); how the DiMeos' socioeconomic situation hit close to home for him; how the ABC lineup has become more diverse in recent years; and his observations of special-needs families he knows.

* I guess Jimmy feeling that Ray is too smart for him explains a lot -- why he sometimes teases him, but can also give him simple heart-to-heart reassurance and advice (when Ray gets over-anxious, makes things unnecessarily complicated, or presents a problem he can easily understand or possibly even identify with) and yet want to shy away from potentially deeper talks with him (because he feels he himself is out-of-his-depth and not smart enough). His feeling about JJ is right in line with something I've always thought -- that Jimmy seems to wrap up almost his whole sense of self-worth in JJ's well-being (usually deferring to Maya -- since she literally "wrote the book" on JJ-care -- but initially wanting to protect the boy from an particularly brutal-looking sport), so he probably feels like, 'As long as this kid is OK, I can actually do something right.' As for Dylan, though he may not be able to relate to her as an athlete (especially a "winner"), she otherwise shares his humor and sense of fun.

** I recall "idiot" being used one more time in "Halloween," but in a way that was synonymous with "normal" (in reference to typical-teenage getting-in-trouble behavior), plus I'm pretty sure it was filmed before "New Aide" aired... Also, I recall some recent pushback at how, in "Prom," the word "dumb" was still used even while criticizing the "R-word" -- although the rest of the season was already filmed by the time that ep aired, I wonder if s.2 will make a similar adjustment.

Edited by GRChereck
update; additional thoughts
  • Love 1
(edited)

Welp, completely snubbed in the Emmy noms. :(

Loved John's response on Twitter, though:

:D

Mason and Minnie have also responded:

:)

Edited by GRChereck
update
  • Love 3

I kind of feel good - in a defiant, discordant way - that Speechless wasn't nominated. The only part of me that is sorry is when I think this can change how sponsors of the show react. Capitalism sucks! But I really don't know the machinations of the industry. I like things that are not mainstream and hopefully they can keep doing what they are doing without the executives pressure to get nominations and awards. 

Great news in a way, to me. I will not feel compelled to watch the Emmy's, which I would only do if Speechless were nominated. Saves me a lot of grief.

• Love 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, alexvillage said:

I kind of feel good - in a defiant, discordant way - that Speechless wasn't nominated. The only part of me that is sorry is when I think this can change how sponsors of the show react. Capitalism sucks! But I really don't know the machinations of the industry. I like things that are not mainstream and hopefully they can keep doing what they are doing without the executives pressure to get nominations and awards. 

Great news in a way, to me. I will not feel compelled to watch the Emmy's, which I would only do if Speechless were nominated. Saves me a lot of grief.

That's a good way to look at it. :) While being "under the radar" will probably mean getting less promotion (especially since it'll no longer be new), that might free up the show to take more chances in telling the stories it wants to tell with less network meddling.* I think a s.2 stands a very good chance of being even better and more confident than s.1 -- the writers should have a better sense of what worked and what didn't, who the characters are** and how to write to the actors' strengths, and what sorts of ideas and storylines they want to pursue that they hadn't touched on yet -- and as a viewer, that's all that really matters to me, even if it continues to get overlooked by awards-voters and other "tastemakers."

* - I've long felt the same way about 'The Middle': As much as I think it's a shame that it's always been overshadowed by 'Modern Family,' I've admired its consistent quality, its attention to continuity and callbacks / running gags, and how the child characters have stayed fairly true to who they are while being allowed to actually grow up along with the actors who play them -- not to mention how the show was able send the two older kids off to college while still giving them substantial plots and storylines, both on their own and with the rest of the family. (If 'Speechless' runs long enough to see JJ through at least a year of college -- if that's what he wants to do -- I seriously hope it looks to that show as a model.)

** - One of my big hopes for s.2 is that we'll get some insight into Maya's education / career path prior to having children, similar to how s.1 did (IMO) a lovely job of gradually revealing Jimmy's career background; I'm also hoping both characters get to have a little light shed on their relationships with their parents. 

Edited by GRChereck
  • Love 1

The Emmys are largely down to who can throw the most money at the voters - the show Mom had a budget of a quarter million dollars for their FYC (For Your Consideration) campaign, but donated it to charity.

• Love 2
(edited)

Cool. :) I wonder if they'll do new cast-promotional pix, too (especially considering how much the two younger kids have grown since the beginning of s.1)...

I stumbled across this last night -- the official ABC "lead sheet" has been updated to reflect what s.2 is supposed to be about:

http://www.disneyabcpress.com/abc/shows/speechless/press-releases/

("As Maya fights injustices both real and imagined, the family works to make a new home for themselves and searches for just the right person to help give JJ his 'voice'" has been replaced with: "[T]he family along with JJ’s aide, Kenneth, are reunited after JJ’s first-time summer camp adventure. As we move into the new school year, the DiMeos, who have always been on the search to find the right school support for JJ, are faced with a new and unfamiliar reality. The DiMeo kids are going to continue at the same school! This is unchartered territory for the DiMeos but, as always, they will find a fun balance in everything they do while adjusting to the concept of becoming actual members of a community.")

I'm a little concerned that the change in premise might mean pulling focus away from the family dynamics, but on the other hand, it's possible that having the family deal with different people and new situations could open them up as characters even more. 

Edited by GRChereck
10 hours ago, GRChereck said:

Cool. :) I wonder if they'll do new cast-promotional pix, too (especially considering how much the two younger kids have grown since the beginning of s.1)...

I stumbled across this last night -- the official ABC "lead sheet" has been updated to reflect what s.2 is supposed to be about:

http://www.disneyabcpress.com/abc/shows/speechless/press-releases/

("As Maya fights injustices both real and imagined, the family works to make a new home for themselves and searches for just the right person to help give JJ his 'voice'" has been replaced with: "[T]he family along with JJ’s aide, Kenneth, are reunited after JJ’s first-time summer camp adventure. As we move into the new school year, the DiMeos, who have always been on the search to find the right school support for JJ, are faced with a new and unfamiliar reality. The DiMeo kids are going to continue at the same school! This is unchartered territory for the DiMeos but, as always, they will find a fun balance in everything they do while adjusting to the concept of becoming actual members of a community.")

I'm a little concerned that the change in premise might mean pulling focus away from the family dynamics, but on the other hand, it's possible that having the family deal with different people and new situations could open them up as characters even more. 

It doesn't seem like a change in premise - just saying what they will be dealing with going into season 2 - since they have made a new home for themselves and found the right person to give JJ his voice.

• Love 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, bros402 said:

It doesn't seem like a change in premise - just saying what they will be dealing with going into season 2 - since they have made a new home for themselves and found the right person to give JJ his voice.

Yeah, I think "change" might have been too strong a word -- "expansion" probably would've been closer to what I had in mind... It definitely sounds like they're building on what came before; during s.1 we saw some toning-down of the characters (especially Maya's clinginess to JJ and her scorched-earth approach to fighting for him, and Jimmy's "we're not jerks, we're idiots" philosophy), so it makes sense that having them start laying down some roots, becoming more involved in their community and perhaps turning to more people outside the family to build onto JJ's support system (now that they're thinking more about his future) would be the show's next step. But like I said, it would be great if this "unchartered territory" could turn out to be a springboard for continuing to explore the characters' familial bonds and roles in fresh ways.

Also, I forgot to mention here that the Fall premiere dates for ABC have been announced; the Wednesday lineup comes back Sept. 27 (while the regular Tuesday lineup doesn't start until Oct. 3). :)

Edited by GRChereck
16 hours ago, GRChereck said:

Yeah, I think "change" might have been too strong a word -- "expansion" probably would've been closer to what I had in mind... It definitely sounds like they're building on what came before; during s.1 we saw some toning-down of the characters (especially Maya's clinginess to JJ and her scorched-earth approach to fighting for him, and Jimmy's "we're not jerks, we're idiots" philosophy), so it makes sense that having them start laying down some roots, becoming more involved in their community and perhaps turning to more people outside the family to build onto JJ's support system (now that they're thinking more about his future) would be the show's next step. But like I said, it would be great if this "unchartered territory" could turn out to be a springboard for continuing to explore the characters' familial bonds and roles in fresh ways.

Also, I forgot to mention here that the Fall premiere dates for ABC have been announced; the Wednesday lineup comes back Sept. 27 (while the regular Tuesday lineup doesn't start until Oct. 3). :)

Can't wait for seson 2

On 6/19/2017 at 1:40 PM, GRChereck said:

THR: 2017 TCA Award Nominations

Speechless is nominated in the Youth Programming category (rather than Comedy or New Program); still, I'm glad to see it get some recognition from the Television Critics Association. :) (Also glad to see nods for This Is Us and The Good Place -- my other favorite new shows -- and the docuseries 'OJ: Made in America,' which I liked a whole lot.) 

It won! :D

AV Club: 2017 TCA Award Winners 

(Also, TIU picked up Outstanding New Program, while OJ: MIA won for News & Information.) :)

Some pix from the red carpet and the awards:

And a set pic from the first day of filming s.2:

Edited by GRChereck
update
  • Love 1

Yeah, I love those Jimmy/Ray heart-to-heart moments. :) (I hope they get to have some "robe talk" this season, too! :D )

Looks like they had a night shoot in the woods, as well:

First press release / promo pix of s.2!

Sounds promising -- "Maya Decides the Family Can No Longer Use JJ’s Disability as an Excuse to Let Their Lives Fall Through the Cracks" -- and I'm excited to find out more about the parents' and Dylan's "dramatic changes" / self-improvement projects." (Hopefully, we'll find out a bit about how Kenneth spent the summer, too...)

Edited by GRChereck

Transcribed from Entertainment Weekly's Fall TV Preview (Sept. 22, #1482/1483):

Speechless

Season 2 8:30 p.m. (ABC)

Now that we know the DiMeos, creator Scott Silveri says Speechless can "open up their world" a bit. He teases that we'll learn more about Maya's (Minnie Driver) extended family as well as what Kenneth (Cedric Yarbrough) does outside of work.* But, of course, the heart of the show is still JJ (Micah Fowler), who has learned how to be independent at summer camp. Driver says this throws the rest of the family into a bit of an identity crisis. "They're constantly stumbling through life," Driver says. "And it's often JJ who brings them back on course." Sept. 27

(* - emphasis added) Yay! I was hoping for both these things... :)

Lots of stuff today:

Spoiler TV: Updated cast promo pix -- love the smiles on Kenneth, Jimmy and JJ; and Ray has grown up so much! :)

TV Insider: See the cast channel Queen in new promo art -- I loved the cast pic they did last year inspired by the Ramones' first album cover (see the header pic of this article), but I'm glad they got to do something different for s.2

"F-I--First S-E--Second F--First Day" (2x2, Oct. 4) -- press release and promo pix (LOL @ that look on Jimmy's face...)

Minnie attended an Emmys-related party the night before; and I don't know if he was at the ceremony itself, but Cedric attended the Netflix Emmy party :) 

Today's Parent had a brief chat with Micah:

https://www.todaysparent.com/family/special-needs/micah-fowler-of-speechless-talks-disability-representation-on-tv/

And UPROXX just did an excellent behind-the scenes piece:

http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/speechless-great-family-comedy-season-2-preview/

EDIT: Also, we finally got the first TV promo for s.2 (during tonight's rerun of "C-A--Camp"):

Edited by GRChereck
update

"J-J's D-R--Dream" (2x3, Oct. 11)

In guessing what the main plot might be about based on the title, I would not have guessed that. Jeez, Ray... xD

Nice to see a Jaya Mimmy Jimya plot -- especially with her taking an interest in his work. :) (And another Dylan/Kenneth plot so relatively soon after "R-U-N--Runaway"!) 

Zach Anner (s.1 consultant / guest star, and s.2 staff writer) chats about his involvement on the show:

https://www.scpr.org/programs/the-frame/2017/09/26/59353/speechless-writer-zach-anner-says-people-with-disa/ (11:32)

And a very nice s.2 review from IndieWire (based on "We're Back" and next week's "First Second First Day"):

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/09/speechless-season-2-review-minnie-driver-abc-1201880821/

Edited by GRChereck
update

"T-R--Training D-A--Day" (2x4, Oct. 18)

Aww, a Jimmy/JJ plot -- about freakin' time we had another! :D The first major pairing they've had since "Sled Hockey" (1x9), as I recall, so I'm very excited for this... (One little concern though: If "the talk" is what I think it is, I have a feeling Jimmy will 1) find out JJ has already learned that stuff from Kenneth, and 2) have to have it pointed out to him that Ray's really the one he should be having this talk with -- I hope the show doesn't go that route because it would be too predictable and also seem a little out-of-character for Jimmy at this point, given how good he was with Dylan in 2x2. :\)

I would've assumed the title might have something to do with Jimmy training a new hire at the airport, or maybe Maya or one of the kids starting a part-time job and having a brutal first day, but as it is, Maya's plot here looks intriguing... (Also, Ray has a bully other than his own siblings now? ;) )

EasterSeals: Behind-the Scenes Q&As -- with a few crew members and producers, including some insights on working with Micah 

EDIT: And a clip for World CP Day (Friday, Oct. 6), featuring the cast --

Edited by GRChereck

"N-I--Nightmare on D-I--DiMeo Street" (2x5, Oct. 25)

I can't imagine how they could top last year's "H-A-L--Halloween" -- with that 'Back to the Future'-themed family costume, the introduction of the "Dead to Maya" list, and JJ getting drunk and grounded -- but this sounds interesting, a bit on the order of a 'Simpsons' "Treehouse of Horror" special...  xD @ the kids getting into their parents' stuff.

Casting news: 

Deadline: Former 'The Bachelor' star Nick Viall to guest

Oof, still not too keen on the ABC cross-promotional stuff (the Oscars tie-in episode and the Christmas one with Julianne Hough of DWTS were my least-favorites of s.1)... :p According to this PEOPLE piece, the ep is supposed to film next week and air in late November.

"S-H--Shipping" (2x6, Nov. 1)

Jimya giving advice to Raylor to help them deal with their neuroses oughta be doubly cute. <3 <3 (Also, the Dylan plot sounds fun, and the JJ one could be interesting...) :)

NY Post: A birds-and-the-bees talk gets intense on 'Speechless'

John Ross Bowie previews this week's episode ("Training Day") -- sounds like it might be another in the vein of "Cheater" (1x19), I hope... (Also, much as I love sweet Jimmy, I kinda miss Kripke and hope to see him on BBT again soon; too bad he couldn't have been in the recent ep where Leonard got into some trouble over a radio-interview comment. :D )

Paste: 'Speechless' Creator Scott Silveri Has a Lot to Say -- not as in-depth as the recent Uproxx interview, though he does hint that we may find out why Maya came to America at some point this season... :)

Geektown: Channel 5 gets UK premiere rights, finally -- no word yet on a premiere date, though...

Edited by GRChereck
updates

Programming note: No new episode Nov. 8 (damn Country Music Association awards!), but it looks like the week of Nov. 14 and 15, all the ABC comedies are having their Thanksgiving episodes...

"B-R-I--British I-N-V--Invasion" (2x7, Nov. 15)

Besides the return of Uncle Billy, we get to meet Maya's mom, Kenneth's dad, and Taylor's brother (I wonder whether there will be any mention of the rest of Billy's family, his and Jimmy's parents, Maya's dad, or Kenneth's mom and sisters, though...). 

Seat42f: Mason Q&A -- including his thoughts on playing Ray, his career in general, and acting advice. :)

SpoilerTV: ABC announces November sweeps programming (Nov. 1-22) -- with a slightly more detailed synopsis for 2x7; also, no new Wednesday comedies for Nov. 22. :\

Edited by GRChereck
update