Type keyword(s) to search

Speechless in the Media

FanFest: 3x4 highlights 

EDIT: 3x5 highlights :)

TV Guide: Casting news -- Niecy Nash and Lisa Leslie to guest as Kenneth's sisters (in the upcoming Christmas episode, according to an IG message from Cedric)

ABC announces its slate of upcoming Christmas / Holiday programming

TGIF comedy notes:

11/23 -- a rerun of the Christmas special 'Santa Claus is Comin' to Town'

11/30 -- reruns of FOTB's "Do You Hear What I Hear?" (4x10) and 'Speechless's "S-I--Silent N-I--Night" (2x10) :(

12/7 -- new eps of FOTB (5x7, "Where Have All the Cattlemen Gone?") and 'Speechless' (3x7, "F-O-- Follow T-H-R-- Through")

12/14 -- "Cousin Eddie" (5x8) and "J-I--Jingle T-H--Thon" (3x8) (Maya's plot in the latter kinda sounds like an homage to 'The Simpsons' s.9 ep "Miracle on Evergreen Terrace"...)

12/21 -- special: 'I Want a Dog for Christmas, Charlie Brown!'

12/28 -- FOTB and SL reruns (?)

Edited by GRChereck
updates

FanFest: 3x7 highlights :)

TV Insider: First look at this Friday's Christmas episode

AssignmentX: Cedric interview (from the Summer 2018 TCA press tour)

The Verge: 20 Best TV Series of 2018

Spoiler for an upcoming ep that just filmed last week:

Also, according to Futon Critic, the Dec. 28 rerun is supposed to be "N-E-- New Y-- Year's E-- Eve" (2x11).

ESPN.com -- Q&A with WNBA AllStar Lisa Leslie (about her 'Speechless' guest role and more)

Edited by GRChereck
updates

FanFest: 3x8 highlights

Press releases / promo pix for the next 3 episodes:

"J-A--Javier's P-A--Pants" (3x9, Jan. 4) -- no idea what the title is referring to, but there's a Jimmy/Ray plot, Kenneth coaching Dylan, and Melanie Hertzal is back for what may be an ongoing story-line with Maya (see 3x11).

"R-O--Roll M-O--Model" (3x10, Jan. 11) -- according to the official Disney/ABC press site and the Futon Critic listings, this one is actually #314 while 3x11 is #310, which has me a little concerned that ABC is starting to shuffle episodes of this series way out of order (I've seen them switch eps around a few times before, but not in such a way that they would noticeably cause confusion or screw up any story-lines, unless you count some dodgy continuity involving a cast on Dylan's arm in s.1); it's possible that the numbers simply reflect the order in which they where filmed (like if this really was intended to air after 3x9 but, for some reason, the shoot may have been delayed a few weeks or so), but we'll have to wait and see... (Also, I hope Jimmy's plot doesn't turn out to be a rip-off 'The Simpsons' s.22 ep "Homer the Father". :p )

"H--Hey, You" (3x11, Jan. 18) -- most excited for this one, including a JJ/Ray plot and the return of Jimmy's punk band. :D

xD

Edited by GRChereck
update

FanFest: 3x9 highlights :)

"O-- Our M-A-G-- Mageddon" (3x12, Jan. 25) (press release) -- the JJ/Ray drama continues, but I'm more excited for a rare Maya/Dylan plot (this one sounds especially good, supposedly dealing with how Dylan takes after her mother) and anything involving Jimmy and Kenneth. :D Strange title, though (too bad 'Last Man on Earth' never got around to using it -- it sounds like it could've been a Tandy pun or a Carol malaprop); I wonder whether it has to do with the film project JJ's working on, or it could be hinting at tensions coming to a head or a falling-out between characters... 

FanFest: 3x10 highlights

Edited by GRChereck
update

"F-A-- Fashion 4 A-- All" (3x13, Feb. 1) (press release/promo pix) -- Maya and Melanie attend an Abilities Expo; also, Ray joins JJ on a campus visit, while Dylan takes a "journey within." (But whither Jimmy and Kenneth, I wonder?)

And a couple pieces about the making of the Abilities Expo scenes (not too spoilery, now that we know about Maya's adaptive-clothing line):

https://www.abilities.com/community/speechless-expo.html (article with comments from various Hollywood-area vendors who took part in filming)

http://www.hmenews.com/article/hit-tv-show-recreates-abilities-expo (Q&A with one of the vendors, Lisa Wells of Cure Medical)

FanFest: 3x11 highlights :D

Edited by GRChereck
updates
  • Love 1

I’ve recently started binge-walking The Walking Dead. I don’t know if this was mentioned earlier in this topic, but I had no idea Kyla Kennedy appeared in Season 4 ( haven’t watched past mid-season, so please don’t tell me if she is or isn’t in later seasons). She looks exactly the same but with chubbier cheeks and a higher voice. 

And I know I’m biased—in every scene with the little kids, I watch her the most—but she was a very good actress even then. Her line delivery was believeable, and when other characters talked, her face reacted to what they said. She didn’t stare blankly into the horizon. 

Edited by topanga
7 hours ago, topanga said:

I’ve recently started binge-walking The Walking Dead. I don’t know if this was mentioned earlier in this topic, but I had no idea Kyla Kennedy appeared in Season 4 ( haven’t watched past mid-season, so please don’t tell me if she is or isn’t in later seasons). She looks exactly the same but with chubbier cheeks and a higher voice. 

And I know I’m biased—in every scene with the little kids, I watch her the most—but she was a very good actress even then. Her line delivery was believeable, and when other characters talked, her face reacted to what they said. She didn’t stare blankly into the horizon. 

I watched Walking Dead first, then Speechless - it took me a moment to figure out where I recognized her from when I saw the pilot of Speechless. I was like "It's that girl from Walking Dead!"

Everyone on Walking Dead looks different on other shows. Probably because they don't have to get dirtied up for every other show :P

Edited by bros402
  • Love 1

ABC announces its slate of upcoming Valentine's Day programming

Programming note: Go freaking figure -- The Feb. 8 TGIF slot will be used for a re-airing of Peanuts specials ('Be My Valentine, Charlie Brown' and 'A Charlie Brown Valentine'), so the V-day episodes of FOTB (5x14, "Cupid's Crossbow") and 'Speechless' (3x14, "J-I-- Jimmy V-A-L-- Valentine") won't air until the day after the holiday. :p

(1/30 Update: The eps of 'The Kids Are Alright', 'Black-ish' and 'Splitting Up Together' originally scheduled for Feb. 5 have been pushed back to Feb. 12, due to the rescheduled SOTU address.)

"J-I-- Jimmy V-A-L-- Valentine" (3x14, Feb. 15) (full press release) -- according to the official ABC/Disney episode numbers, it looks like this one (#312) and the one airing this Friday (#313, 3x13) got switched around; it'll be interesting to see what sort of continuity issues that may raise... :\ On the plus side, more JJ/Izzy and a Jimya pairing. <3 <3

FanFest: 3x12 (#311) highlights :)

Edited by GRChereck
updates

FanFest: 3x14 (#312) highlights :)

"W-H-- Wheelchair P-L-- Planet" (3x16, Mar. 1) (press release) -- hey, sounds like Kenneth and Ray might be getting a plot together after all...

"S-P-- Special B-- Boy T-I-- Time" (3x17, Mar. 8) (press release) -- Maya/Ray sounds hilarious, Jimmy/Dylan are always great together, and I see JJ's friend Lee (Zach Anner) listed in the guest cast. Especially looking forward to this one.

FanFest: 3x15 highlights :D

"S-E-- Seoul B-R-- Brothers" (Mar. 15, 3x18) (press release) -- Ooh, I'm a little worried about that "secret"... but it might be cool if it has something to do with Jimmy's band (I see Carl and Weird Pete listed in the guest cast).

UPDATE: UK premiere date set for Monday, March 11.

https://www.tvwise.co.uk/2019/02/e4-sets-uk-premiere-date-for-speechless/

Edited by GRChereck
update
13 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Oh, no

It dipped a bit into the ratings.

The 3rd season rule along with Disney owning FOX will probably save Speechless - since they'll be getting all of the profit instead of whatever % they were getting before. Most places are betting on the 3rd season rule - where once a show has 3 seasons, a 4th season is all but guaranteed because 4 seasons = syndication. Speechless will have 63 episodes after this season - 88 episodes is what places prefer for soft syndication, but I cannot imagine them ordering 25 episodes next season unless the international deals earn *that* much money - like CBS with Elementary (They earn like 3 million per episode just in streaming revenue).

I can definitely see the network ordering 17, to bring them up to an even 80, then ordering episodes from there (A back 8 to get them to 88 episodes, probably not, but a back 4-6, depending on ratings, why not?)

• Love 1
On 3/2/2019 at 12:16 PM, Robert Lynch said:

Oh, no

It dipped a bit into the ratings.

That sucks. :( I thought it was one of the better episodes of the season...

17 hours ago, possibilities said:

I hope the international deal helps keep it in production.

I hope so, too. :\

13 hours ago, bros402 said:

The 3rd season rule along with Disney owning FOX will probably save Speechless - since they'll be getting all of the profit instead of whatever % they were getting before. Most places are betting on the 3rd season rule - where once a show has 3 seasons, a 4th season is all but guaranteed because 4 seasons = syndication. Speechless will have 63 episodes after this season - 88 episodes is what places prefer for soft syndication, but I cannot imagine them ordering 25 episodes next season unless the international deals earn *that* much money - like CBS with Elementary (They earn like 3 million per episode just in streaming revenue).

I can definitely see the network ordering 17, to bring them up to an even 80, then ordering episodes from there (A back 8 to get them to 88 episodes, probably not, but a back 4-6, depending on ratings, why not?)

I hope you're right. I was just thinking about this the other night -- even if ABC drops it, I wonder if Freeform might pick it up or else order a JJ-goes-to-college spin-off (akin to 'Grown-ish')...

Channel Guide Mag: 7 Questions with Cedric Yarbrough

Rolling Stone -- a lovely write-up of Friday's episode (from Alan Sepinwall, formerly of UPROXX)

FanFest: 3x16 highlights :)

10 hours ago, GRChereck said:

That sucks. 😞 I thought it was one of the better episodes of the season...

I hope so, too. 😕

I hope you're right. I was just thinking about this the other night -- even if ABC drops it, I wonder if Freeform might pick it up or else order a JJ-goes-to-college spin-off (akin to 'Grown-ish')...

Channel Guide Mag: 7 Questions with Cedric Yarbrough

Rolling Stone -- a lovely write-up of Friday's episode (from Alan Sepinwall, formerly of UPROXX)

FanFest: 3x16 highlights 🙂

I think it is more likely they would give it to Hulu - Disney will own 60% of Hulu after the FOX acquisition - iirc ABC-FOX-NBC owned 30% each, then I think Warner owns 10% (because CW). Hulu already has shows where they release episodes weekly - and Speechless is better with the one-episode-a-week format

• Love 1
(edited)

"P-R-O-M-P-- Promposal" (3x19, Mar. 22) (press release and promo pix) -- "one of the DiMeos takes a big step into a new life"... :)

FanFest: 3x17 highlights

3/11 UPDATE (in honor of today's UK premiere): 

Channel 4 (Minnie Q&A)

iNews (article with Minnie comments) 

https://www.tvinsider.com/758168/ask-matt-speechless-svu-spinoff-masked-singer/

Is Speechless Planning an Endgame?

Question: If JJ (Micah Fowler) actually moves to New York on Speechless, wouldn't that blow up the show as we currently know it? Do you know if they have a plan to significantly reinvent the show in Season 4, or is this more of a final-season show-ending arc? Obviously, I don't want specific spoilers, but I know the Friday ratings haven't been great. Despite the lack of buzz on Fridays, the show has been fantastic this season. I would certainly like to see it keep going as long as the people involved feel they still have the creative runway to keep making it. What do you think its future looks like? — Jake

Matt Roush: I can only attempt an educated guess here, because I don't know what this wonderful and seriously underrated family comedy is planning should it be lucky enough to graduate (so to speak) to a fourth season. There's no sign that they're looking to wrap things up, although J.J.'s high-school graduation would be a fitting conclusion should ABC force their hand. Similarly, any family comedy faces this kind of turning point when the kids get old enough to graduate — and since JJ is the focal point of so much of the Speechless storytelling, what he decides to do next would logically affect the show's direction. And while NYU is clearly his dream, it's not necessarily his destiny. This week's episode (March 8) smartly deals with JJ's relationship with his aide, Kenneth (Cedric Yarbrough), and some premature separation anxiety as they ponder carrying on without the other. The good thing about the DiMeo family is that they are infinitely adaptable, and if there is a future for Speechless beyond this season (let's hope), an undergrad JJ will be worth following wherever he goes.

Edited by GRChereck
updates

FanFest: 3x18 highlights :)

"On The R-O-- Road A-G-- Again" (3x20, Mar. 29) (press release / promo pix) -- can't wait to see what sort of mischief JJ gets into with Jimmy and Dylan... :D

The cast and crew pic for s.3 (which wrapped filming this past week):

Also, for those who use Twitter, Tracey Phillips (who's been doing the FanFest write-ups) started a #RenewSpeechless campaign -- check it out here:

https://twitter.com/RenewSpeechless

Edited by GRChereck
updates

ABC Announces April Season Finale Dates

TGIF comedy notes:

4/12 -- FOTB (5x22, "No Apology Necessary") and 'Speechless' (3x22, "U-N-R-- Unrealistic")

Can't say I'm surprised -- since the two weeks for Christmas/New Year's, the only break they've taken was the week before Valentine's Day. :\

(As for the others, 'Splitting Up Together' is ending 4/9 before 'Bless This Mess' takes over its slot, and they have 'The Rookie' listed for 4/16.)

Also...

Just Jared Jr. -- exclusive pix of Bella Thorne's guest role in this week's episode ("P-R-O-M-P-- Promposal")

TV Line: On the Bubble -- Keep or Cut? 

Edited by GRChereck
updates
3 hours ago, GRChereck said:

ABC Announces April Season Finale Dates

TGIF comedy notes:

4/12 -- FOTB (5x22, "No Apology Necessary") and 'Speechless' (3x22, "U-N-R-- Unrealistic")

Can't say I'm surprised -- since the two weeks for Christmas/New Year's, the only break they've taken was the week before Valentine's Day. 😕

(As for the others, 'Splitting Up Together' is ending 4/9 before 'Bless This Mess' takes over its slot, and they have 'The Rookie' listed for 4/16.)

Also...

Just Jared Jr. -- exclusive pix of Bella Thorne's guest role in this week's episode ("P-R-O-M-P-- Promposal")

TV Line: On the Bubble -- Keep or Cut? 

I'm surprised they aren't airing reruns during the NCAA basketball tournament the ratings are likely to suffer. I voted to keep this show and the Murphy Brown reboot.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I'm surprised they aren't airing reruns during the NCAA basketball tournament the ratings are likely to suffer. I voted to keep this show and the Murphy Brown reboot.

I’m going to watch BECAUSE the basketball tournament is on!

• Love 4
On 3/21/2019 at 6:24 PM, kathyk24 said:

According to SitcomsOnline.com, NBA playoffs are supposed to be on 4/19, and 4/26 ABC has scheduled a 2019 NFL Draft thing (no word yet on what they plan to air in the TGIF block during May sweeps, though.) I suspect going up against NCAA -- possibly as family-comedy counter-programming -- was preferable over risking further loss of viewers by taking a lot of weeks off just so both shows could save their last three new episodes for May. :\

FanFest: 3x19 highlights

"The S-T-A-- Staircase" (3x21, Apr. 5) (press release / promo pix) -- JJ gets to meet Izzy's parents this time... :)

Edited by GRChereck
update

TV Line: Cancellation Countdown -- which 5 shows do you want saved? (poll)

My picks: 1. 'Speechless,' 2. TKAA, 3. 'Single Parents,' 4. 'Schooled' and 5. FOTB. :)

AssignmentX: Scott Silveri interview (from the Summer 2018 TCA press tour)

Hollywood Reporter -- SL / FOTB Executive Producers Jake Kasdan and Melvin Mar have renewed their contract with the now Disney-owned 20th Century Fox TV for another four years.

"U-N-R-- Unrealistic" (season finale; 3x22, Apr. 12) (full press release / promo pix) -- "tough news from NYU," oh man... :\ (On a happier note, I love how each of the three seasons so far has ended with Jimmy and Dylan having a plot together. :) )

Edited by GRChereck
update
46 minutes ago, GRChereck said:

FanFest: 3x20 highlights ❤️

The Mighty -- 4 reasons why the show deserves a 4th season 🙂

Any chance you remember who wrote the article for The Mighty? I refuse to give them clicks (that's how they make money, by click counting) because they exploit disabled people's work. They never pay for the articles, and do make a ton of money. and they block disabled activists from their social media, even when they claim to want to "do better".

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, alexvillage said:

Any chance you remember who wrote the article for The Mighty? I refuse to give them clicks (that's how they make money, by click counting) because they exploit disabled people's work. They never pay for the articles, and do make a ton of money. and they block disabled activists from their social media, even when they claim to want to "do better".

April Parker

• Love 2
(edited)
On 4/1/2019 at 12:23 PM, alexvillage said:

Good to know -- I will avoid visiting that site from now on. :\

On 4/1/2019 at 3:14 PM, Aliconehead said:

April Parker

Ah, thanks. :) 

USA Today -- Save Our Shows 2019 (poll)

I went with the same picks as the TV Line poll -- except for 'Schooled,' which is as good as renewed at this point (and thus wasn't on the ballot).

EDIT: ABC announces full season-finale schedule -- including May 8 for the Wednesday comedies, and May 21 for the Tuesday comedy lineup.

Edited by GRChereck
update
  • Love 2
On 10/31/2018 at 10:29 AM, GRChereck said:

Minnie & John on 'AM Northwest' (5:28) -- includes clips from this Friday's episode, "N-E--New JJ"

Don't know how I missed it, but I just found another interview M&J did around the same time: KNTV 'Morning Blend' (4:45) 

Also, for what it's worth, ABC actually made a TGIF promo ad (near as I can tell, the first since the Feb. 15 Valentine's episodes) for tonight's finales:

Edited by GRChereck
update

Programming Insider: Friday Final Ratings (Live+Same Day, including demographic break-down)

TV Insider: Ask Matt --

A Great Season (or Series?) Finale for Speechless

Question: I really, really hope ABC does the right thing and renews Speechless, but if they don't … man, they really nailed last Friday's finale. It hit every beat I would want if the series were to end at this point. I'm not sure what a fourth season of the show would look like, but I want to find out. This half hour is so excellent that it also demonstrates why the show deserves to continue. Really the entire season has grown and deepened the entire ensemble, not just JJ, and I think it's ABC's best current comedy. What do you think its chances are? — Jake

Matt Roush: I agree that the Speechless finale hit all the right notes, emphasizing the notion to "be unrealistic" when it comes to JJ (Micah Fowler) pursuing his dreams. There was just the right blend of humor and sentiment throughout, and the leap in the final scene with the family (including Kenneth) on hand to ease his transition to New York City makes for both a great end point or a significant turning point, however it turns out. The producers took the high road here by not leaving his fate and future in the balance, which would have been terribly frustrating for the show's fans. I wish I could predict where ABC is heading with this and several of its other comedies on the bubble, but with all of Disney in transition after the purchase of the Fox studio and the launch of Disney+ in November, these decisions are likely more complicated than just setting the next fall schedule. I hope this doesn't become a casualty, but until we know for sure, kudos on a great third season.

http://www.thetvratingsguide.com/2019/05/speechless-canceled-after-three-seasons.html

So sad -- not just for myself as a fan, but also for all the individuals and families in the disability / special-needs community who have commented on the show's and cast members' official social media accounts about their appreciation for how the show reflected their lives in funny and heartwarming ways (without turning into doom-and-gloom, preachy "after-school special" stuff, or "inspiration porn"). :'(

• Love 4
50 minutes ago, GRChereck said:

http://www.thetvratingsguide.com/2019/05/speechless-canceled-after-three-seasons.html

So sad -- not just for myself as a fan, but also for all the individuals and families in the disability / special-needs community who have commented on the show's and cast members' official social media accounts about their appreciation for how the show reflected their lives in funny and heartwarming ways (without turning into doom-and-gloom, preachy "after-school special" stuff, or "inspiration porn"). 😢

I agree especially since ABC barely promoted Speechless. The able bodied actors will be fine but Micah Fowler won't.

• Love 4
(edited)

And a little write-up on TV Line: https://tvline.com/2019/05/10/minnie-driver-speechless-cancelled-season-3-abc/

I'd also like to add:

1) I will miss seeing this adorable bunch on my screen, and I wish them -- as well as everyone else involved with the show -- all the best in their future endeavors;

2) I hope it will at least have some small influence on future conversations (in Hollywood and elsewhere) about diversity, representation and inclusion with regards to disability;

3) I'm glad the show had a chance to end with some sort of closure for all the characters -- a new career and friendships (with Kenneth and Melanie) for Maya, a chance for Jimmy to pursue his dream career in earnest, college for JJ and a chance to further pursue filmmaking, self-awareness for Ray and some help from the girls in his class, some privacy for Dylan (recall the garage door in the bedroom), and a new job and a relationship for Kenneth (as well as a chance for him to go back to college). 

Edited by GRChereck
additional thought
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

I agree especially since ABC barely promoted Speechless.

I've been appreciating how much NBC has promoted Brooklyn 99 after it saved it. There are always promos during Saturday Night Live. Too bad that Speechless didn't get pushed as hard by ABC.

• Love 4

Sigh. I had some problems with the writing this season but I still looked forward to watching every week. I loved these characters and actors. Gutted to lose this and The Kids Are Alright at the same time - I really enjoyed that show too.

• Love 2
(edited)

I was worrying that Black Friday would bring this news - but at least we got a great ending to the series. I hope that we see Micah again soon - the others will definitely be getting work.

I hope that this show leads to better/more representation of people with disabilities in media.

I'll miss talking with you guys about this fun little show of ours

Edited by bros402
  • Love 3

I am at least happy the show was being smart and wrote the finale as a closer just in case. However, I do feel there was plenty of stories on the show. I also think that deciding to have Modern Family have (a final season wrap up) helped to kill the show. Though I do believe Fresh off the Boat should have gone first and not Speechless. 

• Love 2