Type keyword(s) to search

Kevin Can Wait - General Discussion

• Start Topic

20 minutes ago, Clare said:

How can you be a PI with no computer?  There was no computer on the desk.  

She had one later that she was looking up Sarah's Facebook, so I imagine she just sticks the laptop in a drawer when she's not using it to save room.

I thought it was funny at times and sweet when Kevin was in the daughter's bedroom having a talk and asked about his pretzels. Getting stuck in the bean bad chair made me laugh. Kevin and Leah will always have their incredible comic timing. The English guy is what grates my nerves about this show. He is not good. The son wasn't too bad last night but I don't like him much. Not a good young actor.

Well, I'm amazed at some of the comments.  Can anyone explain the humor?  I didn't laugh once & I have a heck of a sense of humor.  I liked KofQ a lot, I don't see Leah & Kevin having chemistry on this show.

• Love 2

I don't mind the kids, as they are kids...but this episode was awful in general. I miss Kevin Gable's friends, for me, they added some life to the show. With the mom there, the show had some direction. It's just floating out there right now. When they introduced Vanessa to the show last season, didn't Kevin Gable have an avid dislike for the character? Now they're business partners? She's always there? Doesn't add up. That show needed the mother as the older daughter can't substitute, NOR  can Leah Remini's character. Either bring back an updated K of Q or go back to the original show and call these episodes a 'dream'.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, msrachelj said:

3 episodes in and we still don 'know how the wife died?

Most likely because even the writers don't know yet!

13 hours ago, rcc said:

I don't like him much. Not a good young actor.

Agree. He mumbled his entire first scene. Not a clue what he said, nor do I care.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, rcc said:

Kevin explains why they killed off his tv wife.   

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/kevin-james-tv-wife-killed-kevin-wait-article-1.3563140                    

What a load of bullshit. They were running out of ideas after one season? They didn't know how to write a family sitcom with two living parents? What magic must the writers of "blackish," "Modern Family," 'The Middle," "Family Ties," Good Luck, Charlie," "Growing Pains," ad nauseum have that they are (were) able to write family sitcoms for multiple seasons?

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 10

Now I'm even more unimpressed as to why they killed off the mom.

I also thought it was a decision from CBS, now that Kevin seems to have been a part of it, I'm less impressed with him as well.

Plus, they opened up a whole story line with the mom being unemployed at the end of last season. That could have opened up a whole slew of story lines. Meh.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, jewel21 said:

Now I'm even more unimpressed as to why they killed off the mom.

I also thought it was a decision from CBS, now that Kevin seems to have been a part of it, I'm less impressed with him as well.

Plus, they opened up a whole story line with the mom being unemployed at the end of last season. That could have opened up a whole slew of story lines. Meh.

I also think it's a bunch of BS.  They killed the wife off so they could bring on Leah.  Pure and simple.  The 2 younger kids weren't even on-screen that muc last season, all of the sudden needing to do single father stories doesn't make much sense.  Especially since Kendra immediately said she would take care of the epipen thing and said the kids needed fruit, etc, makes it seem like she's taking over a lot of the mom duties.  Kill Kevin off, and have Chale and Kendra raise the kids.  I think that might be better than what we've got.

• Love 10
13 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I also think it's a bunch of BS.  They killed the wife off so they could bring on Leah.  Pure and simple.

I very much agree. Just own the decision. This recent interview is making an already bad PR decision continue to look even worse. Stop talking about it and move on. The character has been killed off and now you can tell those new stories. Will they kill Leah off or one of the kids or Chale, if they are struggling to find a good story arc?

Besides they could have had Leah on the show without killing off Erin's character. They needed her gone to allow for the potential for Kevin and Leah to hook up and that can't happen with a living breathing wife.

I watched the first couple episodes but I still can't warm up to the show. There's definitely a spark missing and no amount of reconfiguring the cast will fix it from my perspective. I did have a small laugh or two but it doesn't hold together enough for me to invest my time. I can barely muster up the interest to watch it live, let alone to find it On Demand or DVR it.

• Love 7

If things go really badly, maybe next season Kevin will find his wife was in the shower the whole time.

Also, they could re-cast the wife with the actress who played Leah's sister from King of Queens.

5 hours ago, Katy M said:

I also think it's a bunch of BS.  They killed the wife off so they could bring on Leah.  Pure and simple.

Of course, they did.  That doesn't actually bother me that much - it's fiction.  Didn't really care for the wife, but didn't hate her.  The thing is that Kevin & Leah are too old.  What was cute & funny when they were young doesn't translate 20 years later.

On 15/10/2017 at 6:00 PM, SmithW6079 said:

They were running out of ideas after one season? They didn't know how to write a family sitcom with two living parents?

There was a lot of flak on social media - oh, no chemistry, bring back Leah - & they caved.  The bigger problems are bad writing, poor casting (the kids & friends stink).

• Love 1

Kevin and Leah are still very watchable together. When it’s Kevin and Leah going back and forth it still works. The show hasn’t really solved its plot problem. They need to put the breaks on this heavy handed set up for a romance. Kevin standing up for Vanessa to her own father  was a lot. 

• Love 7

I thought the whole dancing bit was very funny. Tony from Dancing with the Stars was the former dancing teacher/partner for Leah on that show. Angelo, Leah's husband, had a role. Who's next? Her mother! I hope not. lol If anybody has ever seen Leah's reality show you know what I mean.

• Love 3

I liked much of this episode.  I like the character who Kevin hired for their security firm, and the wedding was fun.  Dancing with the Stars sighting with Tony playing the groom.  Kevin and Leah's interactions are pretty good.

• Love 4

Apparently I'm the only one who still finds Kevin & Leah funny together. I don't care about storyline, past or present. Just seeing the two of them playing off each other is enough for me.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, MsTree said:

Apparently I'm the only one who still finds Kevin & Leah funny together. I don't care about storyline, past or present. Just seeing the two of them playing off each other is enough for me.

You are not alone. They've still got it IMO.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, MsTree said:

They still have chemistry. It's just that for me it's been tainted by what transpired with the other actress behind the scenes. And I was never even that crazy about her but it still leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

They still have chemistry. It's just that for me it's been tainted by what transpired with the other actress behind the scenes. And I was never even that crazy about her but it still leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth.

I figure getting fired due to ratings, or budget not being able to handle a different actress, or plot purposes is just part of the industry.  So, while I feel bad that she lost her job, it's really just life and hopefully she'll land something else soon.  However, I don't care for the change, because it just feels like a 180 for no good reason.  The I hate you/now I love you thing has been done to death, resurrected, and dead again on TV and movies, and nobody thinks it's refreshing and new.  And, I think we all know that's where this is headed.

• Love 2
On 10/16/2017 at 0:24 PM, Katy M said:

Especially since Kendra immediately said she would take care of the epipen thing

And how exactly did she plan to do that, considering that Jack didn't even HAVE a nut allergy? Don't you need a doctor's prescription?

Speaking of Jack, have the writers ever been to an actual school cafeteria? That place looked like a fast food restaurant.

23 minutes ago, SnarkySheep said:

And how exactly did she plan to do that, considering that Jack didn't even HAVE a nut allergy? Don't you need a doctor's prescription?

Speaking of Jack, have the writers ever been to an actual school cafeteria? That place looked like a fast food restaurant.

I don't know, but she was getting him a replacement, presumably because he had one that expired, so she must have gotten him one already.

On 10/15/2017 at 5:00 PM, SmithW6079 said:

What a load of bullshit. They were running out of ideas after one season? They didn't know how to write a family sitcom with two living parents? What magic must the writers of "blackish," "Modern Family," 'The Middle," "Family Ties," Good Luck, Charlie," "Growing Pains," ad nauseum have that they are (were) able to write family sitcoms for multiple seasons?

Given the above, perhaps the first wife was booted because she just wasn't very funny and the producers decided she dragged the show down. I think they are trying to be kind to her, personally, rather than lay their cards out about why they really decided to go in a different direction. Ratings vs the first season will soon tell if the decision was a good one....

• Love 2
9 hours ago, jewel21 said:

It happens every day on the "soaps"...an actor gets fired and another replaces him/her with no explanation, and sometimes no warning! It's the nature of a money-making industry. And as long as I'm entertained, personally, I see no reason to fret over it.

• Love 2
On 10/18/2017 at 7:45 PM, MakeMeLaugh said:

Given the above, perhaps the first wife was booted because she just wasn't very funny and the producers decided she dragged the show down. I think they are trying to be kind to her, personally, rather than lay their cards out about why they really decided to go in a different direction. Ratings vs the first season will soon tell if the decision was a good one....

From what I understand doing a google search on this topic, the key story is that most viewers didn't like that they fired her, and esp when they hardly acknowledged her death.  As for ratings, they keep going down each episode.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, alexa said:

From what I understand doing a google search on this topic, the key story is that most viewers didn't like that they fired her, and esp when they hardly acknowledged her death.  As for ratings, they keep going down each episode.

I never watched it until this year except for one episode that verified I didn't like it (the book club--snore), but it's understandable that viewers of the first season liked that cast, as they kept watching it. Maybe the show is looking for more people like me who will see it as a "new" show, and at least some of the people who watched the first season are still watching it. If the ratings go down it might or might not be because of the dead wife (I think the lead-in show changed?) but at least the actress can feel vindicated when it gets cancelled for poor ratings. I am interested in seeing what show she will be starring in next.

They're definitely pushing the Vanessa character on us. The next episode is about her, too, like the last one. Frankly, this program was about other things. It centered more around Kevin Gable's home, family and friends. Now, he has a security company with Vanessa and  mostly about that. We hardly see his friends around either. Just not a great show anymore IMO. Too much Vanessa. I don't care for the appearance of the character.....way too much makeup, that lip bothers me when  speaks, (sorry), those overly high stiletto heels make my feet hurt and the jeans are too tight. No security person wears stiletto heels, ala Charlie's Angels...totally fiction. You can tell, I used to like the old show, as the wife/mother was getting better and better with each episode. I think they didn't allow the character enough time to grow. I'll watch on Monday, but it's all Vanessa again. Like I've posted before, they need to make this season 'a dream' and return to the original format.

• Love 4

If they did try to return the original version, there’s no way the actress would come back after the way they treated her. I know I wouldn’t! They are stuck with whatever this new version of this show is now. The show is struggling again to find a voice and a direction,  and I think more so now than last season. 

• Love 2

Kevin should have just done a KoQ 2.0. like Will and Grace. Leah is still Cary in my head, not Vanesssa. I'm still watching though, so there.

I hate to see older stars come back and then fail.... Robin Williams (R i p) and Michael J Fox etc

• Love 4

I started watching because I've always found Kevin James funny.  There's something off about the show, though.  His character is not working for me.  The supporting cast is not good.  The original wife didn't work, for whatever reason.  I like Leah, but I need subtitles because of the upper lip thing.  The writing is not good.  More laughs required.  

I think a lot of people who do light comedy become a little unappealing as they age.  You can get away with being a jerk when you're young (as was Doug Heffernan), but you just look like an old curmudgeon when you age.  I found this with Bill Murray, also.

• Love 3

Did Leah Remini get a bad botox job on her upper lip? It didn't used to be like that before. Why would anyone want to walk around with what amounts to look like a swollen lip?

Oh, excuse me, I don't think it's botox in the lip...it's something else... collagen? You know what I mean that's in her lip.

• Love 3

I believe this show has already tapped in to old King of Queens scripts. There was an episode where Doug and Carrie went to a friend's wedding and of course, Doug caused all sorts of mayhem. Last week's episode was Venessa's sister's wedding and Kevin caused all sorts of mayhem. I hope they don't make a habit of borrowing King of Queen scripts on this show.

On 10/22/2017 at 2:14 PM, floridamom said:

Did Leah Remini get a bad botox job on her upper lip? It didn't used to be like that before. Why would anyone want to walk around with what amounts to look like a swollen lip?

Oh, excuse me, I don't think it's botox in the lip...it's something else... collagen? You know what I mean that's in her lip.

Yeah, too much filler of some sort.  Probably Restylane or something similar.  I have no earthly idea as to why she thought she needed to do something like that because she always looks fantastic, IMO.  Sure, she tends to overdo it (the nails, etc..) but that's her 'thing' and her hair & makeup people are spectacular.  On her A&E Scientology show she looks amazing.  And that was taped before she went the route of injections.  She should have just stuck to having her MU artist over-line them.  Because as mentioned by others, she now has a lisp and seems to need to speak slower than normal to enunciate her words correctly,  which is pretty ridiculous, seeing as she is an actress and all ...  As for the show itself?  Meh.  Huge King of Queens fan and have nothing but affection for both Leah and Kevin, but this just feels played out.  You know the saying "you can't go home again?"  Well, you can't in this case.  They should have just went for it and done a King of Queens 2.0 right from the beginning because that would have worked.  The fans would have been there.  But trying to back peddle and recreate the same magic with different characters who aren't Doug & Carrie and a bunch of randoms?  Nah.

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 9

Last night's episode was not funny at all. The son-in-law is lame and the actor can't act to save his life. Leah and Kevin can be funny but the rest of the cast is so bad.

Too much of the son-in-law and the "office manager" or whatever he is.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

There was an episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show where Mary and Rhoda join a divorced people group to meet men.  Turns out everybody but one there was really divorced!

I'm confused.  Mary and Rhoda weren't divorced, so there were at lest two not divorced. Or was there one other person pulling the same trick?  Or did you say it backwards?

This was pretty much a Doug Heffernan plot except Kevin used a Parents Without Partners meeting instead of an Overeaters Anonymous meeting. Is this the kind of possibility that is opened by killing off the wife? Or maybe it was the hot box where Kevin broke the fan (another Doug specialty).

Well, with the show moving time slots, I won't need to see it before Me Myself and I anymore.

• Love 1
On 10/23/2017 at 6:43 PM, Cementhead said:

As for the show itself?  Meh.  Huge King of Queens fan and have nothing but affection for both Leah and Kevin, but this just feels played out.  You know the saying "you can't go home again?"  Well, you can't in this case.  They should have just went for it and done a King of Queens 2.0 right from the beginning because that would have worked.  The fans would have been there. 

Perfectly said! You're totally right - it's very obvious at this point that they are trying to recreate the success of the first show. And it also seems apparent that the vast majority of this show's viewership is the KoQ fanbase, so why not just put all your cards on the table and be done with it? Other shows have come back as reboots, such as Fuller House or Will & Grace. Why not KoQ?

• Love 3

As much I like Leah and Kevin together, this show just doesn't work. It was a bad show last season and it hasn't gotten any better. It's like two different shows in one now. One with Kevin, Vanessa and Rutger (?) and the other with Chale/his wife/Kevin's brother. The writing is horrible all around. Chale and the daughter have zero chemistry. The other kids (don't know any of their names)are horrible actors...thankfully, they are barely ever on, and the friends are unfunny and boring.

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 9

What are the chances this show is renewed for another season?  Kevin's brother joins a support group to scout out  women for his brother and ends up picking up a woman there.  And he passed his niece and nephew off as his kids.  Then there is another joke about how the dead spouse group is a great place to meet vulnerable women.  WTH.  I'm all for tasteless jokes.  (I thought the Seinfeld Susan dying from cheap stamps George bought was hilarious).  But good god who are the writers on this show.  This show is just a bad idea with worse writers.  

• Love 3