Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Hubbedy Bubby

So, was Bernie Sanders the top secret cameo that had been rumored on one of the big networks? It was funny and unexpected. But I didnt see it causing the chatter that was predicted if it was.

Always love Schmidt. "I'm going to make a system."

• Love 2

I hate when my sitcoms unexpectedly try to teach some moral lesson or shill some cause, and this was no exception. 

Otherwise it was one of the funnier episodes in awhile.

Winston WOULD have a video sex closet. And I love love love that his girlfriend was totally into it, because we all need someone who is as equally weird as us and goes along with our strange quirks.

I know it's impractical but I would have liked to see or hear Reagan's reactions to Nick's attempts at phone sex. The episode would have been better with it. 

Ha! Nick wrote lovey dovey cards to Winston when he was playing basketball.

"We used to be a lot closer."

I wonder if he sends cards to Coach? 

Yay for CeCe deciding her own path! And yay for Schmidt supporting her! Boo for missing out on dorm room sex!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, srpturtle80 said:

I hated everything to do with the political storyline, but loved the rest. I too am Schmidt's OCD twin, and I will never not adore Winston. 

This is exactly my feeling about the episode. Thank you for saving me from having to type.  :-)

• Love 2

Winston continues to save this show. They need to just stop with the Long D - Reagan story, I didn't really like her when she was on the show, she wasn't interesting. doesn't change when she isn't around and they just keep talking about her. At least with Winston - they show his GF in videos. Is Megan Fox coming back? I doubt it. So just dump that story already.

HATED the political angle. That's all I am going to say about that.

• Love 2

The political angle of this episode made me angry. Thankfully it was saved by good work from the supporting stars, again. I was on board with having Jess and Cece trying to register voters, I was on board with them playing into the sorority's antics and having to overcome the inherent apathy of it's members. I got really cheesed when the sorority members where then exposed to be group thinking imbeciles, and event more ticked off when Jess, after spending a whole episode decreeing the importance of democracy, decided they weren't worth signing up to vote.

Schmidt's writing was great, from his political extolling, to the OCD tie in, to just his great support for Cece. Cece continues to be incredibly awesome in her conviction and capability. And Nick and Winston were great doing Nick and Winston things.

I've been a Zooey fan for a long time, but Jess is really wearing me down since her return.

I didn't mind the political slant, personally. It's certainly timely, and it makes sense to comment on it. Of course Jess and Cece would be Clinton supporters, and of course Schmidt would be a Republican even if he doesn't support Trump. I thought the drunk sorority girls who liked Ivanka Trump were funny too and they managed to make a point about who supports who and why without being heavy-handed about it.

The part at the end with Jess dressed up like Trump was just kind of dumb, though.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, CinAZ said:

Winston continues to save this show. They need to just stop with the Long D - Reagan story, I didn't really like her when she was on the show, she wasn't interesting. doesn't change when she isn't around and they just keep talking about her. At least with Winston - they show his GF in videos. Is Megan Fox coming back? I doubt it. So just dump that story already.

HATED the political angle. That's all I am going to say about that.

She is. She is returning mid-season and the article I read said it could be for up to 8 episodes. 

3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I didn't mind the political slant, personally. It's certainly timely, and it makes sense to comment on it. Of course Jess and Cece would be Clinton supporters, and of course Schmidt would be a Republican even if he doesn't support Trump. I thought the drunk sorority girls who liked Ivanka Trump were funny too and they managed to make a point about who supports who and why without being heavy-handed about it.

The part at the end with Jess dressed up like Trump was just kind of dumb, though.

Yeah it would have been unforgivable if Schmidt was a nonthinking team player and supported Trump.

Of course he has to be contrasted from those bimbos for Trump.

I found it distracting that last week we had Cece and Schmidt pondering excessive debt to buy dream house when she had also apparently applied to colleges. I know they went with the uber-fixer-upper (which still probably cost a ton unless it's in a terrible neighborhood in LA, and even then...) but they're just walloping me over the head with ridiculous finances. And I get that it's a sitcom so sometimes you have to ignore and it run with "the finances are ridiculous" but when shows do that, they give up the option of trying to any type of finances-related plotting. If you just imply they can afford whatever they do and run with, fine. But you can't turn around and show me people in a bank. And I know there are student loans but her debt-income ratio with the house would make that horrible. The timing of this shit is just too much for me. So good for her deciding not to go to school not just because it's what she really wants but because it's an absurd financial choice five minutes after buying a house unless you have sufficient cash for both, which they've established she does not.

I mean seriously writers. At least give me a few episodes to cool off the annoyance from the house episode before you bring me college tuition stupidity.

Bah humbug.

I was doing imaginary high fives with Schmidt over his organization. I am the same way. There's a place I go to regularly that always has fliers and little postcards advertising local events near the register and every time they ring up my order, at the very least I pick up each pile and tap them on the counter to get all the corners lined up. Sometimes I end up reorganizing everything when all the different postcards are jumbled together. When I go to the bookstore, I reshelve books that are in the wrong place. I use my label maker, I have my personal paperwork in labeled files in an actual filing cabinet at home, I have spreadsheets for everything, and I have color coded storage bins. So yeah, I totally get Schmidt being unable to help himself when he saw the clutter at the campaign place.

I love that not only does Winston have a special area for his sexy video calls but he also has costumes for each background.

It's always strange to me when people who are my age (like Nick) are so uncomfortable talking on the phone. I understand it more with younger people (like current teenagers) who grew up with skype and texting, but I remember when talking to someone on the phone was the only way to communicate with someone who wasn't in the same room. My middle school best friend and I used to spend hours on the phone with each other every day after school and now as an adult, she hates talking on the phone. I don't know how, when, or why that happened but it's always so weird for me to remember how much we used to talk on the phone as kids and then realize that she only wants to text or talk in person now. I guess with Nick it's more about being nervous than anything else which I kind of get, but to me talking is talking, whether I'm sitting across the table from you, holding a phone to my ear, or seeing you on the video screen. It really makes no difference to me!

If Cece doesn't want to go to a four year university, why did she bother going to community college and getting an AA? I'm totally fine with her not wanting to go to college (especially at her age - I was a transfer student and the age difference was tough for me sometimes so I can only imagine how much more difficult it would be for Cece since she's in her 30s), but I'm confused as to why she bothered with community college and applying to transfer if she wants to be out in the world and not stuck in a classroom, as she put it.

I am also interested in what she wants to do now. I hope the show doesn't have her get pregnant to avoid giving her a new job/career because realistically, she and Schmidt both need to work in order to afford the house they just bought. Keep in mind that they will be paying rent at the loft, making payments on the house, AND paying to have the house fixed up (even if they do a lot of the work themselves to avoid hiring a contractor, they still have to pay for the materials) on top of their regular expenses (food, clothes, entertainment, etc). I really doubt they can swing all that on just Schmidt's salary.

20 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

The political angle of this episode made me angry. Thankfully it was saved by good work from the supporting stars, again. I was on board with having Jess and Cece trying to register voters, I was on board with them playing into the sorority's antics and having to overcome the inherent apathy of it's members. I got really cheesed when the sorority members where then exposed to be group thinking imbeciles, and event more ticked off when Jess, after spending a whole episode decreeing the importance of democracy, decided they weren't worth signing up to vote.

Schmidt's writing was great, from his political extolling, to the OCD tie in, to just his great support for Cece. Cece continues to be incredibly awesome in her conviction and capability. And Nick and Winston were great doing Nick and Winston things.

I've been a Zooey fan for a long time, but Jess is really wearing me down since her return.

ALL OF THIS!! You pretty much said what I was thinking ;)

I loved Winston's closet and all the different backgrounds. SPACE!

I am also interested in what she wants to do now. I hope the show doesn't have her get pregnant to avoid giving her a new job/career because realistically, she and Schmidt both need to work in order to afford the house they just bought. 

I can't imagine she's making much working at Nick's bar, and while I've never been clear on what Schmidt does, from what little we've seen he's a somewhat low-level employee in a cubicle in an office somewhere (dominated by women). I can see him being the type to sock a lot of savings away, though. Her? Not so much, apparently. You'd think she'd have put something away from her modeling days.

Early on in the show we were given the impression, if not told outright, that Schmidt made a fair amount of money. Sometime in the last season and a half they have retconned that with their money issues over the wedding and now the house.

(There's also a chance I'm misremembering the early seasons, but I'm fairly certain of this.)

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, ae2 said:

Early on in the show we were given the impression, if not told outright, that Schmidt made a fair amount of money. Sometime in the last season and a half they have retconned that with their money issues over the wedding and now the house.

(There's also a chance I'm misremembering the early seasons, but I'm fairly certain of this.)

I agree with your recollection. I still think Schmidt makes good money, but not enough for Schmidt to afford the wedding of his dreams, cover some of Cece's expenses while she's in school and save up for a nice house after already putting money into the bar. They've gotten to the point where they're overextended but that can happen even when you make a lot of money.

• Love 2

According to wiki Schmidt is an advertising associate at something called "Associate Strategies," some sort of marketing firm.  I know they've done a few work-related storylines with him and his overbearing female boss. Wasn't he sleeping with her at one point? At any rate, he's not in management or an executive, so I wouldn't expect his salary to be that high, which would explain why he's living with three roommates. He's probably better off than Winston or Nick but that's not saying much. 

I think modeling pays pretty well, although we really don't know what kind of modeling Cece did (I know she did a car show at one point, so it's not exactly Top Model stuff). But she was living with an apartment full of other models so her expenses had to be pretty low. They haven't really addressed what either might have in savings.

It was implied early on Schmidt was well-paid enough that, while he had multiple roommates, he also frequently floated them in many respects (utilities, food etc, he paid more than an even split), and he has very expensive tastes. So yeah, that plus house, plus wedding, plus anything else means he's probably maxed out, not due to lack of cash, just due to having committed it all. 

Cece probably made decent money modeling but it's quite cyclical. She could have a great paying gig at one point and then months of nothing, etc. So it probably evened out to OK, but that's also why models living a million to an apartment. If their living expenses were more average they wouldn't necessarily be able to ride out the dips. And the bar seems to be divey-full-o-regulars, so I'm guessing she's not exactly rolling in tips. So I would not expect her to have much if any savings. I don't think anything in this episode contradicted their established pasts.

Edited by theatremouse
On 9/28/2016 at 9:42 AM, Traveller519 said:

Re: the bolded. She (they?) did yell that the women could register online as they ran away. I think an "aw, shit" reaction is very realistic. 

• Love 1
On 9/28/2016 at 8:53 AM, srpturtle80 said:

I hated everything to do with the political storyline, but loved the rest. I too am Schmidt's OCD twin, and I will never not adore Winston. 

Exactly this.

Re: Schmidt's money problems- a couple of seasons ago, he lost all his money buying a shopfront for Jess's sister (remember her?) which he then had trouble offloading. And then last season, he put up most of the money to go in on the bar with Nick.