Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Strike

I've only seen a couple eps from last season and liked it, but I never remembered when it was on so I didn't keep up with it. But I think I will now after watching this one cause it was pretty damn funny.

Was the  the old lady in the first season because she was cracking me up.

Loved when Amy and Dina were going back and forth trying to get Sandra to come to their side.

Come here, Sandra,  Stay, come... come here girl, etc.:)

And Dina with that power sprayer thing busting out Glenn's car windows,then running away was so funny too.

I need to go back and watch what I missed last season.Can anyone recommend some of the funnier eps?

Edited by Valny
  • Love 4

I was disappointed that the strike ended in just one episode, but I understand that the show does indeed need to get back to the business of being a workplace sitcom. I hope they follow through on the 'to be continued. . . ' of that plot, though.

I did enjoy how their strike got co-opted by other issues. I'm also extremely impressed that Jonah has 1500 followers on Twitter! And what is he tweeting, generally, to attract that, ah, let's say 'diverse' crowd?

Other things I enjoyed:

• Jonah's tiny fedora
  • Amy's skirt on the second (or first official) day of the strike
  • Myrtle pointing out that their jobs are nothing special
  • The new employee who's super into vaping
  • Dina's enthusiastic "I can for sure do seven!" after offering to do 50 or 100 pushups.

On the other hand, not enough of Glen. He is my favorite character on the show - it's nice to see a boss who's lead by his good nature and genuine caring about his employees, even if he is not the most effective leader and kind of a buffoon.

• Love 4

On soapbox:  Maybe they don't want to get too political, or too realistic, or educate us about labor law, but a chain store like Cloud 9 is certainly covered under the Fair Labor Standards Act, so they wouldn't need to strike for overtime pay.  If they're working 40 hours a week, they're getting OT.  Surely the writers know this.  The big problem with chain stores is that they keep employee schedules under 40 hours, so the employees aren't considered full-time and aren't eligible for many benefits.  (Off soapbox.)

• Love 6
4 hours ago, swimmyfish said:

I was disappointed that the strike ended in just one episode, but I understand that the show does indeed need to get back to the business of being a workplace sitcom. I hope they follow through on the 'to be continued. . . ' of that plot, though.

I did enjoy how their strike got co-opted by other issues. I'm also extremely impressed that Jonah has 1500 followers on Twitter! And what is he tweeting, generally, to attract that, ah, let's say 'diverse' crowd?

Other things I enjoyed:

• Jonah's tiny fedora
  • Dina's enthusiastic "I can for sure do seven!" after offering to do 50 or 100 pushups.

On the other hand, not enough of Glen. He is my favorite character on the show - it's nice to see a boss who's lead by his good nature and genuine caring about his employees, even if he is not the most effective leader and kind of a buffoon.

I totally want Amy's skirt! And so funny she was sporting a fedora after she made fun of Jonah wearing a fedora. Seriously though, I thought Jonah was totally hot in the suit and fedora. Kind of makes up for when Ben Feldman was on Mad Men and his character Michael Ginsberg morphed into Mr. Koteeer and then presented his cut off nipple to Peggy, not cool, not cool at all.

• Love 2

I thought this episode was hilarious.   I didn't care for the Olympics special.  Favorite scene:  When they walked up the aisle with their "power clothes" like the mannequins wore. 

Dina with the garden hose:  "Why isn't there a setting that hurts people", and then coming back with the more powerful one and breaking Glenn's car windows. 

I think this season could be an improvement over last year.   The pregnant lady and her idiot boyfriend were the worst back than, IMO.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Bookish Jen said:

Seriously though, I thought Jonah was totally hot in the suit and fedora. Kind of makes up for when Ben Feldman was on Mad Men and his character Michael Ginsberg morphed into Mr. Koteeer and then presented his cut off nipple to Peggy, not cool, not cool at all.

I did not realize that he also played that character! And now I can't unsee it.

This was a slowish start but I was so enchanted with season one that I will watch this show to the bloody end.  One of my favorite things is that the store owner didn't turn out to be some cliche TV stereotype, he is actually a good guy who tries to do the right thing. I was happy they got his job back, because I didn't know whether the actor quit or what.

I agree that Dina is going to end up taking over the whole show, but I don't mind - she is just so deliciously wonderfully evil.

• Love 2

All I could focus on was how amazing Amy's hair, skirt, and fedora was. She looked great. It was refreshing seeing them out of uniform.

Strike was depressing, glad they'll be back in the store. Isn't it just like Mateo to play both sides of the coin? Anyone who's worked in retail has had a Mateo coworker. I'm amazed at how every single character is someone we've worked with.

Dina is clearly the Dwight Schrute of this show, but for my money, she's funnier.

I liked when it seemed like Amy and Jonah were eyeballing each other in their new outfits, but then Amy rolled her eyes. Nicely played. She's not being won over that easily.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 5

I wish the strike had gone on longer, I think there was more humor they could have made there. Oh well, guess we might as well get back to the store, we know thats where this is going anyway. 

I kind of wish they had just had tons of random people show up to protest random stuff for longer. The whole interview with Amy on TV was hilarious. Also, Amy and Jonah looked great in their "professional" outfits. Especially Amy. 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, EarlGreyTea said:

All I could focus on was how amazing Amy's hair, skirt, and fedora was. She looked great. It was refreshing seeing them out of uniform.

Strike was depressing, glad they'll be back in the store. Isn't it just like Mateo to play both sides of the coin? Anyone who's worked in retail has had a Mateo coworker. I'm amazed at how every single character is someone we've worked with.

Dina is clearly the Dwight Schrute of this show, but for my money, she's funnier.

I liked when it seemed like Amy and Jonah were eyeballing each other in their new outfits, but then Amy rolled her eyes. Nicely played. She's not being won over that easily.

I've worked as everything from a store manager to an administrative assistant to a copywriter, and I've pretty much dealt with a Mateo at every single one of those jobs, male and female!

I so want the actress who plays her (too lazy to look her up) to get nominated an Emmy.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Bookish Jen said:

I've worked as everything from a store manager to an administrative assistant to a copywriter, and I've pretty much dealt with a Mateo at every single one of those jobs, male and female!

I so want the actress who plays her (too lazy to look her up) to get nominated an Emmy.

I'll do that for ya  -- his name is Nico Santos.  He's Filipino.  His page doesn't show a lot of credits.  Looks like he's been acting for just a couple of years.  Page doesn't show his age and I'm lousy at guessing -- late 20's, maybe? 

• Love 3
On 9/23/2016 at 6:58 AM, swimmyfish said:

Other things I enjoyed:

• Jonah's tiny fedora

Agree with your list. I would also add Dina's reaction to Amy's pink suit. "Who is the terrorist, Dina?" "That suit you're wearing."

• Love 3
On 9/23/2016 at 9:10 AM, AuntiePam said:

On soapbox:  Maybe they don't want to get too political, or too realistic, or educate us about labor law, but a chain store like Cloud 9 is certainly covered under the Fair Labor Standards Act, so they wouldn't need to strike for overtime pay.  If they're working 40 hours a week, they're getting OT.

Oh, if only. There are so many employees who are not getting OT pay they're entitled to. It's really easy on the employer side; so often these places are understaffed, so the workload employees get assigned is too much for them to complete within their work hours. But if they don't get their assigned work done, then they'll be fired for that, so they work extra, unpaid, hours to get their work done so they don't get fired. And that is how the scam works. They complain, they get pushed out. There are laws, but that requires having the financial resources to sue (which such employees don't have) or finding a law firm that has the resources to put together and successfully pursue a class action lawsuit in search of a payoff that most likely will come years down the road. And sure, that happens - just look at the successful lawsuits against Walmart over the years, for instance. But there are a lot of structural/legal reasons for why it's difficult for employees to be able to assert their rights.

This is the first episode of the show I've watched, and I really liked it. And I hadn't realized how much I'd missed seeing America Ferrara on my TV screen. I'll definitely continue to watch!

• Love 11

I couldnt put my finger on exactly what was off for me with this and the Olympics ep, and then I watched a season 1 ep still on my dvr I hadnt watched (All Nighter) and it finally hit me: everyone, especially Amy, is overly styled.

Im not looking for AF to play 'plain' Betty, but her hair and makr-up also shouldnt look as if she's playing Gloria Pritchet.

Edited by Tiger
On 9/23/2016 at 1:17 AM, AuntiePam said:

This show would be a lot less interesting without Dina.  The villain always seems to upstage the good guys.  I hope she doesn't change. 

I think she is as unfunny as can be, and her description of how she took a whore's bath brought her to disgusting pig territory. She's the reason I wounds give up this show. 

On 9/23/2016 at 9:54 PM, EarlGreyTea said:

Was that the weirdo from "The Office"? The one played by Rainn Wilson? I thought he was unfunny, and the actor, from what I've read of him, is a dick.

I was so disappointed in the season premiere. I enjoyed the show the first season, but I'm not sure I'm in for this season. 

Edited by SmithW6079
1 minute ago, SmithW6079 said:

Was that the weirdo from "The Office"? The one played by Rainn Wilson? I thought he was unfunny, and the actor, from what I've read of him, is a dick.

I was so disappointed in the season premiere.

Yeah, that's him. Eccentric, company person to the core, extremely weird and rigid....Dina is the male Dwight. This show seems to really want to emulate The Office, and I think these two are the most similar counterparts.

I will say that Amy can do better than Jonah. I wasn't the biggest fan of Pam and Jim, but he was a worthier candidate for Pam than Jonah is for Amy. Maybe if he grows up a bit and loses the extreme pretentiousness, but that seems to be one of the hallmarks of his core character.

• Love 1
On 10/2/2016 at 9:25 PM, EarlGreyTea said:

Yeah, that's him. Eccentric, company person to the core, extremely weird and rigid....Dina is the male Dwight. This show seems to really want to emulate The Office, and I think these two are the most similar counterparts.

I will say that Amy can do better than Jonah. I wasn't the biggest fan of Pam and Jim, but he was a worthier candidate for Pam than Jonah is for Amy. Maybe if he grows up a bit and loses the extreme pretentiousness, but that seems to be one of the hallmarks of his core character.

Jonah comes off as someone who's basically "stuck", for lack of a better word, at 22 despite being 30-ish. Like he never got better than his graduation week when he turned in his thesis for his bachelor's degree in Gender Politics or something equally useless. Then he foundered for the next decade, including a failed stint in graduate school, but has somehow found his purpose in a crappy minimum wage job. Jim had his pranks but was more or less a functional adult.

Oh, if only. There are so many employees who are not getting OT pay they're entitled to. It's really easy on the employer side; so often these places are understaffed, so the workload employees get assigned is too much for them to complete within their work hours. But if they don't get their assigned work done, then they'll be fired for that, so they work extra, unpaid, hours to get their work done so they don't get fired. And that is how the scam works. They complain, they get pushed out.

Most of that seems to go on "assistant managers" like Gina. They're given "positions" so they have full-time status, but they're not paid over-time.

• Love 2
On 12/13/2016 at 8:57 PM, methodwriter85 said:

Most of that seems to go on "assistant managers" like Gina. They're given "positions" so they have full-time status, but they're not paid over-time.

Yup, this. At Walmart, most assistant managers work 48 hour weeks, minimum, but they're salaried and considered exempt, so it's legal. Way back when I was a full-time employee, people always asked why I didn't go into management training. Because when you did the math, my hourly rate would have been close to half what I was making at that point. 

(And even if that weren't the case, there's not enough money in the world for that kind of stress, but that's a whole other issue altogether.)

• Love 1