Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E14: Girl Meets She Don't Like Me

Drogo

Wasn't Riley bullied a season or so ago? So why was she shocked that that poor girl didn't like her? These kids are way too naive for 2016 and I'm sick of every episode being about how they are going to be friends forever etc. We had to sit through episodes of the love triangle and now nothing? Lastly can we have one episode just about the Mathews without Maya or any of Riley's other friends- I'm curious about their family dynamic sans Maya who's always there (Shawn's her step dad now, shouldn't she be home or atleast having both of them there if must be?) ugh didn't like this episode at all.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, t7686 said:

Wasn't Riley bullied a season or so ago? So why was she shocked that that poor girl didn't like her? These kids are way too naive for 2016 and I'm sick of every episode being about how they are going to be friends forever etc. We had to sit through episodes of the love triangle and now nothing? Lastly can we have one episode just about the Mathews without Maya or any of Riley's other friends- I'm curious about their family dynamic sans Maya who's always there (Shawn's her step dad now, shouldn't she be home or atleast having both of them there if must be?) ugh didn't like this episode at all.

Yea she was. I wonder if any of the lessons stick with her at all?

17 minutes ago, t7686 said:

Wasn't Riley bullied a season or so ago? So why was she shocked that that poor girl didn't like her?

Im wondering if we'll see this girl and her family again as they seek revenge on Topanga for having them arrested for tax fraud LOL

Random girl who doesn't like Riley is now my second favorite character on the show. Zay is still my favorite. This ep would have played a lot better at the beginning of season 1, when we first met Riley. It would be a good intro ep, this is Riley. Riley is stupid. Riley needs everyone to like her. Riley's friend enable her every stupid whim (and have therefore completely stunted her growth).

I'm starting to think that Maya is the worst thing that ever happened to Riley. I'm pretty sure she started the Keep Riley Stupid committee (I know they call it something else, Protection is it? But they aren't, really, they are setting her up to get herself mugged/raped/killed/taken for everything she has somewhere down the line). She is trying to keep Riley all pure and innocent, but I don't think that's for Riley's sake.

This show is becoming more and more unwatchable. Shame. I loved it so much when it first came out. It's got some very likeable actors and the nostalgia from BMW was nice.

It has been much longer than I want to admit we got the health/sex ed talk in middle school. The boys and girls were seperated and we watched a horrible film about puberty. I cannot remember what grade but I do know it was way way before I got my period at 12 so yeah this was a stupid plot line.

Also I agree we sat through all that triangle crap and there seems to be nothing. Riley and Lucas don't act like a couple. Not that I want to get all bogged down in that crap.

• Love 1

I had the health talk and video (oh, those videos!!!!!) in elementary school so I'm guessing 5th grade. Definitely before I hit high school. Then again, these kids actually act like they are still in grade school so I guess that makes sense. lol

yep I got  flamed for calling Topanga a control freak and now here she is doing it herself lol.

I'm really disappointed that nobody thought to ask the glaringly obvious question. "Why don't you like me/ Riley?" It would have made for great story-line and character development but for some reason wasn't asked. Instead all the writers did was make Riley out to be some OCD type focusing on not being liked. Which, not unironically, makes us like Riley less.

If someone like Riley came up to me like she did to that girl at the lockers and treated me the same way I'd think that this girl wasn't operating on all cylinders myself.

It's actually surprising that more people don't like Riley.

Smackle need to be told off and this Lucas fantasy thing needs to come to an end just because she has a condition doesn't give her the right to say any old thing. She needs to learn there are consequences to actions.

Love to hear more from Topanga she's seriously underplayed and Cory reaction to page 73 wasn't a surprise at all.

Edited by David-
spell check
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I had the health talk and video (oh, those videos!!!!!) in elementary school so I'm guessing 5th grade. Definitely before I hit high school. Then again, these kids actually act like they are still in grade school so I guess that makes sense. lol

When I was growing up, we did the one afternoon health talk thing, where they split the boys and girls up, in 5th grade, and then had health class, which included a more comprehensive sex ed unit, sophomore year.  

On September 23, 2016 at 5:54 PM, Tara Ariano said:

It might not be necessary to lock these, or to set them to unlock earlier? This episode has been on Watch Disney all day.

They are locked until shown on TV as to prevent spoilers being posted by people who watch online but aren't aware it hasn't been shown in TV yet.

Very realistic to have a class full of freshman being shocked when hearing about sex in 2016. And by realistic, I mean ridiculous.

A lot more realistic that one of the kids know it better than the adult though, amirite?

2 hours ago, Kromm said:

Another episode where they establish that nobody SHOULD like Riley (really she's the worst friend ever--she makes her friends get up early for no reason, for example).

Right? The real question is why does anyone like her? She's proven to be a fool, self-centered, and a just plain bad friend to both Zay and Maya. She's lucky to have any friends, she should be figuring out ways to be better to the ones she has, not obsessing over the one she doesn't. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Skyfall said:

They are locked until shown on TV as to prevent spoilers being posted by people who watch online but aren't aware it hasn't been shown in TV yet.

That should not be a problem. The episode thread could be open for people who've watched online or on demand. People who haven't watched the episode shouldn't read the episode thread if they don't want to be spoiled.

I kind of get why Maya is friends with Riley, because she thinks Riley has the perfect fantasy family Maya wishes she had and Maya is just happy for anyone who wants her around. What I don't get is what Lucas and Farkle see in her. (I'm pretty sure Zay and Smackle are her friends only because Lucas and Farkle are.)

They girl is just plain high maintenance. She's self involved, narrow minded, everything has to be her way, everyone has to drop everything to deal with her, she's incredibly self involved (even for a teenager!) She'd be exhausting to spend more than a few minutes with. High school would have been the perfect opportunity to finally shake her.

Oh, I know, maybe Topanga has dirt on all their families and is blackmailing them all to hang out with her idiot daughter.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Oh, I know, maybe Topanga has dirt on all their families and is blackmailing them all to hang out with her idiot daughter.

Topanga is mostly why I find Riley so irritating. Topanga wanted to control everything, yes, but things like her academic career, her grades and never-ending quest to beat Minkus for all A's, her parents' divorce in the college years, even her relationship with Cory. Topanga did not care one iota whether or not the other kids liked her. Original Recipe Topanga, for sure, but even High School/College Topanga didn't base her identity on whether or not people liked her. She had her boyfriend, she had Shawn, she had Angela (and Rachel, later) for female friends and that was enough for her. I find it unrealistic that Topanga wouldn't raise her daughter with even a quarter of that confidence.

• Love 4

Cory's gene's must be strong in Riley lol. I don't see her as Topanga's daughter at all! Auggie either, really. They both take after their father. Maybe we are to believe that Topanga was so busy building up her fancy lawyer career that she had little to do with raising her kids but I don't see that fitting with the Topanga I remember. I'd think she'd be a very hands on mother, especially with her daughter because I'd think she'd want to raise her daughter to be strong, confident and to have opinions about the world she lives in.

This show probably would have worked better without the BMW tie in and was just about an insecure, kind of dim young girl with a whacky teacher father and a workaholic mother struggling to deal with life smacking her across the face and saying "wake up Princess, you're whole outlook on life is a dream".

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Cory's gene's must be strong in Riley lol. I don't see her as Topanga's daughter at all! Auggie either, really. They both take after their father.

Auggie doesn't really seem like either parent to me (even looking at what Cory and Topanga were like as kids). Maybe something skipped a generation and either Alan or Amy (or Topanga's parents) were unusually precocious when THEY were kids and we just don't know about it because we never saw them at that age.

Edited by Kromm
19 hours ago, paulvdb said:

That should not be a problem. The episode thread could be open for people who've watched online or on demand. People who haven't watched the episode shouldn't read the episode thread if they don't want to be spoiled.

Well when the episode doesn't air and they don't know that it's online they could click on it thinking its ore episode discussion and then get spoiled. If you want to discuss the episode before hand take it to the spoiler thread like it's been happening for several months now.

• Love 3

We had a vague discussion back when I was in elementary school, but we had several weeks blocked out at the end of the year in 6th grade where every week we had 'health' class. And every year after that teachers naturally assumed that we had a general grasp of our bodies/anatomy/puberty and all that so they treated it as just some fact. If some sexual or health based thing came up it was just like any other thing. Even though part of the mandatory P.E. class I had to take in 9th grade included a lot of health class related material, I was nowhere near surprised or freaked out. So I was a little annoyed at the unrealistic way they had the kids reacting. At this point they should be used to it and have enough knowledge (though i know most high schooler's don't know everything or even have all the facts yet) to be bored and disinterested.

Maya is becoming a little more interesting here. There's a subtle exasperation I'm getting from her. Sure, they frame her as delighted by Riley, but there's a lot of push back to Riley's shenanigans that (on a good show) would end up with a confrontation. Like Maya was totally in the right this episode. Who gives a crap that this random girl whom you accosted with no prior interaction whatsoever does not like you? Who gives a crap if anyone but the people you care about like you? Maya made a lot of little jabs that in real life most likely would have been passive aggressive. Naturally, this is not Jacobs and cos' intention since they truly believe Riley is the most delightful person on the planet, but it would be nice to see real life reactions on this show. 

Small good things; The gym teacher was nice. He seems like he knows his stuff. I actually laughed out loud when Smackle took over the class. Maya's outfits were good. She's been going downhill lately in the fashion department. 

I don't like how they revise BMW things to fit this subpar show. Topanga did not care if people liked her. One of my fave eps of BMW is when Topanga says she doesn't care what people think about her and cuts her hair, then flips out, and starts to care more when she becomes 'beautiful'. But, in the end she realizes she truly does not care as there are more important things and from that point on others' opinions did not matter to her. Also Topanga was not 'controlling'. Cory just always deferred to her, especially in the later years (though you've got to decide for yourself how much of that characterization you want to consider canon). There's a difference. It's annoying that Topanga cannot genuinely connect with her child since she's such a college years Cory clone. Topanga telling that story to Riley (or something similar) could have been a good time to do some one on one with her. 

Lucas and Riley not actually dating really aggravates me. We have that dumb triangle that nearly broke up the friendship last a whole year and a half (approximately, I can't remember how long it really was) and they STILL barely even look at each other. That's bad writing. There was no change from the beginning to after the triangle so there was no point in writing the triangle in the first place. Maya also has no change other than minor aesthetic ones so what was the point in throwing her character under the bus for that whole confusing "Maya is Riley" nonsense? I don't get the decisions this show makes. 

Smackle needs to cool it. It was kind of funny before. But they've taken this running gag too far.

Riley continues to be horrendously stupid; her greatest offense in my book. I have given up on her every learning anything or becoming a well rounded character. 

Edited by FrumiusManxome
grammar
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Skyfall said:

Well when the episode doesn't air and they don't know that it's online they could click on it thinking its ore episode discussion and then get spoiled. If you want to discuss the episode before hand take it to the spoiler thread like it's been happening for several months now.

The problem with the spoiler thread is that it will also have spoilers for later episodes, so it's not a good place for people who have watched online or on demand but don't want to be spoiled for later episodes. There could be a speculation thread for discussion based on previews and the episode thread can be used for discussion by people who have watched the episode. That's how it works on other forums.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, FrumiusManxome said:

Lucas and Riley not actually dating really aggravates me. We have that dumb triangle that nearly broke up the friendship last a whole year and a half (approximately, I can't remember how long it really was) and they STILL barely even look at each other. That's bad writing. There was no change from the beginning to after the triangle so there was no point in writing the triangle in the first place. Maya also has no change other than minor aesthetic ones so what was the point in throwing her character under the bus for that whole confusing "Maya is Riley" nonsense? I don't get the decisions this show makes.

Seriously. Their "relationship" is exactly what it was before all that crap. So what was the point of us suffering through all of that only to end up exactly where we started. I feel like Maya and Zay are at the same level and they barely started to possibly date. Meanwhile the two characters who are meant to be socially awkward, Farkle and Smakle, seem to have a pretty solid relationship going on. Though her thing for Lucas is starting to get on my last nerve.

• Love 2
On 9/24/2016 at 9:43 PM, KerleyQ said:

When I was growing up, we did the one afternoon health talk thing, where they split the boys and girls up, in 5th grade, and then had health class, which included a more comprehensive sex ed unit, sophomore year.  

Same, except we also had a health class in 6th or 7th grade. It covered a lot of topics (as did the high school one), plenty of which wouldn't have been awkward for Corey to cover-- even if he were weirded out by general anatomy or hygiene, it had things like nutrition, CPR and the Heimlich, survival skills, etc. I remember very clearly that in the middle school class we had a series of classes on not being prejudiced. It was 1998 or 1999 but they definitely included homophobia in the series, which in hindsight impresses me; I remember two videos on the topic very distinctly; they made a strong (positive) impression on me. 

On 9/26/2016 at 1:25 AM, FrumiusManxome said:

Even though part of the mandatory P.E. class I had to take in 9th grade included a lot of health class related material, I was nowhere near surprised or freaked out. So I was a little annoyed at the unrealistic way they had the kids reacting. At this point they should be used to it and have enough knowledge (though i know most high schooler's don't know everything or even have all the facts yet) to be bored and disinterested.

While there are tons of non-gross-out topics they could cover, my high school health class included things like photographs of genital herpes and arms with really bad track marks and stuff like that. My class probably acted pretty grossed out on those days. The teacher didn't, but then, that original gym teacher in this episode probably wouldn't have, either. 

(Though you wouldn't guess it based on my descriptions of health class in public school, this was actually in a swing state.) 

On 9/26/2016 at 1:25 AM, FrumiusManxome said:

Smackle needs to cool it. It was kind of funny before. But they've taken this running gag too far.

Ugh, I know right?? It mostly makes me angry because Farkle deserves way better than that! Farkle's probably my favorite character on the show. I really liked the Farkle/Smackle relationship until they made it into this thing where Smackle really just wants to be with the "normal", sporty, more traditionally handsome guy and is just, what, settling for quirkily awesome Farkle? 

On 9/25/2016 at 3:06 PM, Mabinogia said:

Cory's gene's must be strong in Riley lol. I don't see her as Topanga's daughter at all!

It really struck me in this episode how much more Maya looks like Topanga's daughter than Riley does. Yeah, a lot of it is the hair, but still!

I agree with everyone on all the "Why can't Riley be more likable?", "How did Awesome Topanga do such a bad job raising Riley?", "Why can't Riley learn anything/Why won't the writers let Riley develop as a person?", "What the heck was the point of the triangle and why don't Lucas and Riley act like a couple?" comments. Wait... why am I still watching this show? 

Weirdly, Lucas and Riley acted much more like a couple on a crossover appearance on "Best Friends Whenever" than I've seen them act on their own show. (And in that episode Riley actually displayed some understanding of the real world; in response to a puzzle a character asks, "Why would there be five locks on one door?" and Riley quips, "Welcome to New York." So very the sort of thing a New Yorker might say, so very not the kind of thing Riley has ever said on GMW.) 

(Yes, I'm old enough to have gone to middle school in the 1990s and I have a Disney Show problem. Shut up, I'm not lame you're lame.) 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Anisky said:

"Why would there be five locks on one door?" and Riley quips, "Welcome to New York." So very the sort of thing a New Yorker might say

Wow! That's hilarious considering their door is NEVER locked, not to mention pretty much anyone can climb into her window any time they please. Clearly that was written by the BFW writers and not GMW writers because it actually makes sense.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Anisky said:

Weirdly, Lucas and Riley acted much more like a couple on a crossover appearance on "Best Friends Whenever" than I've seen them act on their own show. (And in that episode Riley actually displayed some understanding of the real world; in response to a puzzle a character asks, "Why would there be five locks on one door?" and Riley quips, "Welcome to New York." So very the sort of thing a New Yorker might say, so very not the kind of thing Riley has ever said on GMW.) 

(Yes, I'm old enough to have gone to middle school in the 1990s and I have a Disney Show problem. Shut up, I'm not lame you're lame.) 

speaking of Best Friends Whenever Disney just cancelled it..

7 hours ago, TDT said:

That show looks like it costs about $5 an episode to make, so it must have been doing REALLY badly.

On 10/7/2016 at 3:11 AM, Anisky said:

You're not alone. I don't know what it is, but Disney Channel manages to draw me in with their sitcoms. I won't watch all of them all the way through or anything, but I give them much more of a chance than I should. Probably, nostalgia. 

6 hours ago, Kromm said:

That show looks like it costs about $5 an episode to make, so it must have been doing REALLY badly.

14 hours ago, TDT said:

Not to get too far off topic here, but Best Friends Whenever had the opposite problem of GMW. The premise was weak, but the characters were well developed. I fully believed that the two main characters were good friends and it didn't take 20 minute speeches about it every other episode to prove it to me. It didn't have the budget GMW has, but it was imo a better show despite that.

I know there a bunch of other factors to consider, but if that show got cancelled then I think GMW will actually get a season 4. Liv and Maddie is on its last season, and w/ Best Friends Whenever cancelled getting rid of GMW would mean a deficit of 3 whole shows. They barely have a solid lineup as is. Bunk'd doesn't have the same appeal as Jessie did and imo they're already running out of plots. Stuck in the Middle is pretty decent, but it's clearly a backburner show to them. Bizaardvark is only on in season 1 so while I think it's knockoff iCarly it still has time to get better. KC Undercover is in a good place, but one show can't hold up the entire channel.

I think GMW will continue on. I don't really want it to, but I think it will regardless. 

Edited by FrumiusManxome
Grammar
On 10/8/2016 at 1:50 AM, TDT said:

Ummm where did you get this info? Season 2 is still airing and a quick google search brings up nothing.

On 10/8/2016 at 9:25 AM, Kromm said:

Or the user is talking out their arse. Nothing on google backs up the claim.