Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Heave Fiery Knot

formerlyfreedom
  • Start Topic

Happy to get two episodes this week, lots going on again.

A plot about a cartel attempting to take down a plane, in New York, aired in September? It's been 15 years, and it's not quite the same, but I don't know man... I don't know.

Didn't expect to find out about that photo of Jane in the field so quickly. Orion was an off the books operation that got found out, and shutting it down meant killing off everyone involved. OK. Where does Shepherd fit into this? What's her motivation?

Roman almost let it slip that, what, they're going to obliterate the world and start again? If that's the plan... one, why bother with the crime-solving tattoos, to hold people accountable first? And two, that's a precious way of thinking, that a brand new society will get it "right". What I want to know is how Roman could stand being apart from Jane all this time, when he's jumping out of his skin trying to be with her now. Depending on how things go (who the real bad guys are, and also if Roman's mentally/emotionally stable enough, which I don't think he is), maybe Jane can get him to switch teams.

I had to laugh, Naz (the NSA) listening in on Jane's therapy session. Of course. But I think they were trying to throw us off, mole-wise. And now that I think about it, didn't they say it was an FBI mole? So she can't be the mole then, right?

Reade... this is an interesting turn. I don't remember much about S1, so I don't remember how he responded to when this first came up. No one asked if it had happened to him? Even if someone did, his brain clearly shielded him from the truth for as long as possible. His behavior in this episode, particularly the scene with him and the lawyer, has another shade to it because of this revelation. With Sarah gone, who will he go to for support? Zapata, maybe. (Also, on rewatch, I noticed Valentine's comment: "He was like a father to me, how could he do this?" followed by lingering shots on Weller and Reade... mm-hmm, I see now.)

Patterson and Borden... don't know if I cared about an awkward scene about outdated technology but whatever. They have chemistry, at least. He's high on my "mole" list, though. If his feelings for Patterson aren't an act and/or he has a conscious, then it will be complicated for him to do his job when activated. And it'll be devastating for Patterson to be betrayed, especially after David. Yep, I'm watching you, Borden.

Didn't recognize Weller's ex or remember what their deal was. I don't know if this plot needed to happen but we'll see how it goes. He's all up in his feelings about his dad so I guess he's going to distance himself in order to "protect" his kid. Hopefully he'll get the kick in the pants he needs to realize he isn't his dad, or that he doesn't have to become him.

What else... I like that we're finding out who the players are in Sandstorm. Oh, and Cade's been sighted. Better hope the FBI catches and/or kills him first, or else Jane's story is totally blown.

• Love 1

Wow, this place is dead. Lol

I stopped watching this show about 8 episodes in last season because it was way too annoying for me. I decided to check it out this season to see if got any better. Kurt is still a screaming self entitled asshole, why does anyone listen to him? It was his idea to bring an unknown amnesic with assassin skills out on missions because he thought she was a childhood friend that he's unhealthy obsessed with and that turned out to be the wrong choice. Then he says to bring the angry DEA agent out on the mission to get the mentor that framed her and she almost died. That was on him. Why are they having other people tell him he's right? I wanted someone to punch him when he said "See what happens when you listen to me". and his "We all have to work together as a team, as long as everyone listens to me" speech. I hope everyone on his team is the mole. 

I don't think I can continue the show with him still on it. I'm still more interested in Jane's story and why they thought erasing her memories and putting her in the FBI would help their cause, then expect her with no memory of them to still be on their side. 

• Love 2

Just started watching and may binge watch season 1 to fill in the blanks, but I like it. I don't find Kurt annoying so that's a start. I like everyone on the team so it's going to suck when one of them is the mole- seems like it may be Borden but him and Patterson are just so cute and I find him endearing. Maybe the mole will have a conscience and turn on Shephard. Her reprimanding Roman at the end was creepy, and him being so apologetic makes it seem like she abused him as a child. 

Surprised at Jamie Alexander- she was so robotic on Kyle XY but am really enjoying her on this show.

LOL and yes, this place IS dead! This season has pretty much lost me. As Sakura says, Weller is still a self-entitled a-hole, and still with the gross neck hair that squees me out. And what's up with his being a verklempt about his dad dying? You know, the dad he hated and didn't have any relationship with from the time he suspected him of killing Taylor. And, as it turned out, was correct about. So you miss Daddy ... why? And speaking of hair, I'm giving Nas's hank of hair that hangs down in her face its own credit line, it's all I can stare at when she's on screen.

This show seems to be all about HAIR! Nas's hair hank, Weller's neck hair and now Jane's new not-do. Last season her hair was interestingly messy but short. Now that it's grown a full 12 inches in three months (when real hair grows one-half inch per month), she's seriously in need of a brush/comb, some shampoo. Or, at the very least, a scrungie. Because it's really hard to see much less fight bad guys when that hair is covering your face.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Last season her hair was interestingly messy but short. Now that it's grown a full 12 inches in three months (when real hair grows one-half inch per month), she's seriously in need of a brush/comb, some shampoo. 

LOL, her hair hasn't grown that much but yeah. I can see why Jane hasn't taken a trip to the salon but if it were me I'd just hack off a couple of inches; having it hang in my face like that would drive me nuts.

I'm still utterly confused as to why Weller has been given such a high position of power. He doesn't have the temperament for it or good judgement. And I really don't want to spend the season watching him work out his daddy issues. The pregnancy was completely unnecessary and I don't care about it either. I kind of resent them making him the lead and Stapleton the lead actor when they promoted this show almost exclusively on Jane/Alexander, both of whom are far more interesting- I came into this show for her, thinking she was the main character/actor only to find out she's not. It's weird.

More and more I find myself wishing Jane would break away from the FBI. Let the team work together to find her and figure out the tattoos while she does her own investigation or something. Weller drives me nuts, I don't care about Zapata's resentment, Patterson's still a babe and Borden's growing on me even if I do think he might be the mole but they aren't enough. Jane's past is still the best thing about this show. I'm hoping for at least a three or four episode arc that's just her, Roman, Shepherd and secret ninja spy stuff.

Ii will give the show props for not dropping Reade's story from last season. He said he'd keep investigating and he did. Lots of shows give one-off eps like that to secondary characters to give them depth but always drop the story even though there's more to it. So I was surprised to see Reade still investigating, and the revelation he was a victim too and his memory has blocked it was sad. Kind of gives him a connection to Jane, in a way. A terrible one tho...

• Love 1

Jane needs a haircut (you'd think a woman spending so much time on meticulously applying her eyeliner would have a minute or two to brush her hair) and Patterson a wardrobe intervention - that mustard-yellow sweater was fashion crime. Naz should drag them both to a shopping/spa spree in NY.

Ahem - the plot. Weller hiding his father's crime - because that's what he did - was a weird plot twist. Why do this? He hated his father who had already been suspected of that particular crime for decades. The truth being out would surprise exactly nobody. Nor is there any black-mailing potential. And just when one chapter of the Weller family drama is about to get closed another one opens. Not sure we need any baby-drama here, but fine. Let's see if his ex and the baby make it through this season - I have my doubts. Because Weller needs to have his man-pain constantly fed.

They are finally trying to come up with a good explanation for the tattoos and it almost works - just don't think too hard about it. So, Sandstorm got people feeding them intel everywhere - makes you wonder why? Are all those folks domestic terrorists too? What is their ideology? Being fed up by the system? And is that enough to support a group like Sandstorm?

Roman is decently interesting as a character but I have my doubts of him surviving this season. It's probably going to be Jane who has to kill him because she does not have enough drama in her life.

Reade's plot whilst intriguing is so disconnected from everything else going on it feels jarring. Same goes for Patterson and Boden, well unless he's the mole.

• Love 1

Weller: still the worst. It's a shame that the top-billed actor on the show is the least likable (or interesting) character. I'm not even going to put it all on Sullivan Stapleton because he must be being directed to 1) act like a self-righteous ass and 2) keep the neckbeard. But I really think this show has enough going on that it doesn't need Weller's character. I was actually cheered by the extraneous baby plot, because at least it will be a good wedge slowing any Weller/Remi hookup, which I dread.

I also dread Reade's side story but that's because I hate child sex abuse stories; at least it's not boring, like Zapata's gambling problem.

Archie Punjabi is a good addition. I don't trust her, it's fun! In fact I don't trust anyone, they're all lying liars who lie and it's weird to me that I identify most with GI Jane/Remi, the soldier/spy trauma victim who doesn't know who to believe. I do miss Oscar but it looks like Roman will be providing the emo moments. Glad to see Luke Mitchell getting regular work.

One thing I hate about this show is the sound mix. Gunfire and music are too loud, drowning out the dialogue, which always seems to be muttered in a monotone. Unless, of course, Weller is doing is bear-with-a-sore-paw imitation.

Edited by rubyred
Felt obligated to insult Weller again.
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Roman is decently interesting as a character but I have my doubts of him surviving this season. It's probably going to be Jane who has to kill him because she does not have enough drama in her life.

Yeah I'm guessing Roman killing six cops in six seconds doesn't bode well for his long-term survival but I'm hoping Jane doesn't have to kill him. She's been put through the ringer enough this season (tortured for three months and shot and we're only two episodes in). If he dies I'd rather it be Shepherd and that's what completely turned Jane against her or something.

1 hour ago, rubyred said:

Edited 1 hour ago by rubyred. Reason: Felt obligated to insult Weller again.

Ha! He's pretty much about the worst part of the show at this point.

19 hours ago, omgsowicked said:

Patterson and Borden... don't know if I cared about an awkward scene about outdated technology but whatever. They have chemistry, at least. He's high on my "mole" list, though. If his feelings for Patterson aren't an act and/or he has a conscious, then it will be complicated for him to do his job when activated. And it'll be devastating for Patterson to be betrayed, especially after David. Yep, I'm watching you, Borden.

I'm not totally opposed to the idea, but I'd be really disappointed if Cute Therapist was the mole; making him the bad guy just because they couldn't figure out how to use him effectively last season.

3 hours ago, MissLucas said:

And just when one chapter of the Weller family drama is about to get closed another one opens. Not sure we need any baby-drama here, but fine.

"Seriously?" -- was my reaction to that. Clearly, someone thinks Weller Family Drama is an essential part of this show.

• Love 2

"Let me follow her, I can blend in!"  Err... Roman?  If you're going to tale Jane, at least shave before you do so.  Even if she doesn't see you, someone is going to notice and be all "Hey, why is that admittedly good-looking hobo just following us around?"  Then again, maybe they'll just think he's a buddy of Weller's.  His overprotectiveness of Jane is interesting.  Really want to hear more about what the family life was like with those two and Shepherd.

This episode was certainly an "Everybody Hates Jane!" episode.  Weller hates her!  Reade hates her!  Zapata hates her!  Even Nas is threatening her!  Patterson.... well, at least she's too busy hating on the NSA to really hate on Jane.  Still, even though I understand their feelings, I was kind of feeling bad for Jane.  I'm guessing this is setting it up to make her keep questioning herself and be drawn more towards her "family."

Mole or not, I'm jus side-eying Borden because it feels like he is the one who keeps trying to make Jane/Weller happen.  Boo!  Bad, Borden!

The FBI might not be fully onboard with Nas, but she was the one who said maybe bringing along the cop who was framed by her mentor along would end up being a massive conflict of interest.  Sure, she's apparently a sneaky person, who spends her free time listening to tapes of their therapy sessions, but she knows what she's talking about!

Not sure what is going on with Reade's new plot, but I'm glad it will give Rob Brown more to do.

Why should I care about Weller being a father?  It's probably going to end with the typical thing, where Allison somehow gets killed, and he has to raise the baby himself.

• Love 2

Did Blindspot writers work on Criminal Minds before??? Or just binge watch old seasons??? Reade is now Derek Morgan. Couldn't they have made it basketball camp sexual abuse so it would only be 95% ripped off?

ETA: I missed the last half of S1 forums and apologize for inadvertently repeating any Derek Morgan comments.... 

Edited by paigow
  • Love 1

Can we stop adding babies to tv shows that aren't family dramas/comedies? They just end up looking like shitty parents because the kid will never be referenced or seen unless needed for PLOT REASONS. If an actress gets pregnant, bring out the big bags, file boxes, and whatever else is needed to hide it. I am more than willing to suspend my belief that this pregnant lady that is about to pop looks exactly the same as she did 8 months ago and then needs to work somewhere else for a little bit off camera.

• Love 1

Did Jane get all of her weapons knowledge deleted? Is there a SEAL that does not know Stingers are ground to air weapons? When the Russians were in Afghanistan, the US supplied resistance fighters with Stingers to defend against helicopter gunships.  Low altitude commercial air traffic is always vulnerable to Stingers.

This summer I've been praising another show's TPTB for realizing they'd made a mistake with the lead actor and killing him off unceremoniously in the S2 premiere - the show is

Dark Matter on SyFy

- and while writing my various posts of praise on that subject, how most shows wouldn't have the nerve to do that (especially not when it's the straight white male hero lead) it's actually Blindspot/Stapleton/Weller that I've had in mind most. It's a shame. He's the albatross for this show and it really would be so easy to dump him.

I was thinking until the end of this episode that Zapata was the mole, because she had been the most nakedly and uncompromisingly antagonistic towards Jane and while I get why everyone feels bitter and distrustful, it was also starting to feel like maybe Zapata was actually acting a role. But then she did unbend towards Jane a bit at the end, so I'm up in the air again. Zapata's deadpan "Sorry I shot you" was hilarious.

I wish they would have some interaction between Jane and Patterson so we can see where Patterson's head is at. Patterson was upset to hear that Jane had been sent to a CIA black site, and last season Jane was the one who found Patterson in the woods and they had a nice hug then, but Patterson has reason to feel anger and betrayal too. But I don't really know how she feels because we've not had any interaction between them so far. Can we have a scene between them in place of one of the myriad Jane/Weller "how dare you not be Taylor Shaw/I wanted to be her" rehashings?

I enjoy Nas a lot, but it's so weird to see Archie Panjabi on a show where she's allowed real screentime, a sizable chunk of dialogue, and isn't barred from acting opposite one of the others. It's such a change from her last couple of years on The Good Wife that I hardly know what to do with myself, getting all this Panjabi goodness. Heh. Oh, and even though I'm actually really sympathetic to Jane, I liked Nas calling Jane on her white privilege for a moment.

I like Zapata and Reade's friendship, but I'm worried the show is thinking of hooking them up and I don't want them to go there. Hooking everyone up with each other would give me very unpleasant flashbacks to Quantico. I like soaps, but I don't want this show to be a soap. It's already teetering in that direction with Weller's ex returning pregnant.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I like Zapata and Reade's friendship, but I'm worried the show is thinking of hooking them up and I don't want them to go there. Hooking everyone up with each other would give me very unpleasant flashbacks to Quantico. I like soaps, but I don't want this show to be a soap. It's already teetering in that direction with Weller's ex returning pregnant.

Reade gave up dating Weller's sister...awkward but completely legal....however, hooking up with Zapata while still on the same team would get one of them transferred ASAP. Weller & Taylor/Jane/Alice is ok because she is not actually FBI. Just like the BAU avoided these HR nightmares.

Why did a military helicopter doing a mission use 'N' tail number, denoting it a civilian aircraft?

Why would anyone use FIM-92 Stinger as anything else than an anti-aircraft weapon? It is an infrared homing (heat seeking) missile. How would it be used for ground target? And what kind of stupid idea is the remote control separate from the launcher?

So I guess agent neck-beard does not know much about birth control?

So Agent Barker of the DEA is innocent? Her withdrawing a bundle of cash and passport is just a red herring?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, paigow said:

Reade gave up dating Weller's sister...awkward but completely legal....however, hooking up with Zapata while still on the same team would get one of them transferred ASAP. Weller & Taylor/Jane/Alice is ok because she is not actually FBI. Just like the BAU avoided these HR nightmares.

Should get one of them transferred - I don't know about would. After all, Patterson still has her job and as much as I love her character I can admit that is completely unrealistic and that the writers did a lot of handwaving to keep her around. (When Patterson was complaining about not having access to the NSA systems I wanted Nas to reply something about Patterson's previous security violations making her totally ineligible. But I suspect the writers would like us to forget all about that because, y'know, Patterson shouldn't actually still have a job at all.)

But it's more about the general group in that building for me, whether or not certain members of it are FBI. The Jane/Weller thing will doubtless go on in one form or another as long as both characters are around, and now Patterson and Borden are going to start dating. I do think they're cute together, but that's two relationships in the building. Reade and Zapata would make a third, and would just leave Nas as the only one not involved with anyone there (unless the speculation about her and Weller turns out to be true, which, please no). I don't need everyone to be in relationships anyway, but if they're going to do that then at least have somebody dating outside the building.

Besides, Sarah will probably show up again eventually, and I'd like to skip a Sarah/Reade/Zapata triangle. Imagine how annoying Weller would be.

Edited by Black Knight
  • Love 1

Oh good lord! I do not want to see Werewolf trying to be a Dad that story line needs to disappear like immediately!

Patterson and Borden sittin' in a tree. I hope he is not the mole. I loved their awkward hallway conversation.

If the goal of this episode was to make me want to bitch slap Jane's entire team, mission accomplished. We get it ya'll don't want to work with her, you feel betrayed. Grow up and deal with that shit like adults and stop with the catty remarks. I mostly looking at you Zapata. At least Jane just told her to spit the shit out if she has something to say! Can we get rid of most of them and keep Jane and Patterson, please?

• Love 1

Yeah! Blindspot is back! I thought this was a pretty good episode, though I'm still annoyed by the general anger directed at Jane. Especially by Zapata who was more than happy to throw Mayfair under the bus if it helped her gambling debt!

What I want to know is how Roman could stand being apart from Jane all this time, when he's jumping out of his skin trying to be with her now.

I'm assuming Roman is her 'brother' figuratively-- not by blood? Because he seems a little "too" into Jane. I feel like he basically replaced Tree Tattoo guy. 

Not too thrilled with the storyline for Reade, but willing to see how it plays out. Really REALLY hope neither Borden nor Patterson is the mole. 

I like Zapata and Reade's friendship, but I'm worried the show is thinking of hooking them up and I don't want them to go there.

I haven't got that vibe yet. I still think the show is going to try to hook Reade up with Weller's sister. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, mandigirl said:

Yeah! Blindspot is back! I thought this was a pretty good episode, though I'm still annoyed by the general anger directed at Jane. Especially by Zapata who was more than happy to throw Mayfair under the bus if it helped her gambling debt!

Yes! After watching the end of season one I am pissed at Zapata's reaction to Jane. She was shady and worked with the AG's office regarding Mayfair, and now she's throwing shade at Jane. Poor Jane continues to get thrown under the bus, yet she's still helping these ungrateful assholes out.

I am all about Reade and Weller's sister- I hope she comes back and they don't pair Reade up with Zapata.

• Love 1

I like this show but I hope they devote a little more time to developing the relationships between the characters this season, especially between the team members and between them and jane.  I wanna rely a little less on what were told the dynamic is by the characters and a little more on chemistry we can see you know? now they're down a member after mayfairs death, and they all seem so hot and cold I'm having trouble believing they can work together at all let alone with jane!

and now this episode set up this whole family versus family dynamic when the friendship/loyalty baseline between jane and the team was rushed and confused in the first place? i feel like they're leaning on having established that the team 'took her in' in season one a little bit more then i remember them having done and poor jane has no friends :/ 

also while i enjoy that they have so many subplots, its hard to maintain that level of b story when you're also doing the quasi procedural thing, i just hope the episodes don't get too crowded with plot lines i don't care about! 

Edited by pumpkin

I have a feeling Reade is being manipulated by Freddie into testifying Freddie's "story".  I thought before that last scene that Reade was going to offer to testify instead of Freddy.  We just have Freddy manipulating that instead of Reade volunteering.

The baby is fucking ridiculous.  Sarah or Shepherd is going to end up raising that baby who will be named Taylor.  Calling it now.  There is absolutely nothing that Weller being a dad brings to the table story-wise except another wedge to keep the twu luv OTP apart. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Naz listening to the recordings is a red herring.  She's just someone who values information and she's gotta make sure her double-agent mole isn't really a triple-agent in disguise.  Plus, I still think Borden is going to be the big baddie.  I bet that Oregon Trail disc is rife with some tracking or listening software, even if he's still unaware he's an asset to Sandstorm.

Whatever Sandstorm is planning is meant to take down the government to reboot America? I don't know how someone can take down every Senator, US Representative, President & the cabinet, military decision maker, and government employees like random FBI/DEA/DHS agents.  Good luck with that.  At the end of the day, I guarantee someone will be left that's not part of Sandstorm and they will be left out of the rebuilding process.

• Love 1
On 9/22/2016 at 0:07 PM, twoods said:

Just started watching and may binge watch season 1 to fill in the blanks, but I like it. I don't find Kurt annoying so that's a start. I like everyone on the team so it's going to suck when one of them is the mole- seems like it may be Borden but him and Patterson are just so cute and I find him endearing. Maybe the mole will have a conscience and turn on Shephard. Her reprimanding Roman at the end was creepy, and him being so apologetic makes it seem like she abused him as a child. 

Surprised at Jamie Alexander- she was so robotic on Kyle XY but am really enjoying her on this show.

I got the same feeling with the abuse. It's clear she's emotionally abused them and manipulates both since they were kids.

• Love 1

Reade's plot whilst intriguing is so disconnected from everything else going on it feels jarring. Same goes for Patterson and Boden, well unless he's the mole.

I remember thinking about Reade during that episode and wondering why he didn't think more about if he had been molested. I think that could be a good character story, but is definitely disconnected. Zapata annoyed me with her Jane hate. It just popped up and then went away. No point. And I can't think that Boden would be allowed to date Patterson - so many crossed lines. And don't get me started on the Werewolf Jr. storyline.

I like this show but they need to tone down the personal stories. This is a procedural for all intents and purposes and the main plot should dominate. All these personal stories this week felt like a soap opera.

Oh and John/Lincoln/Roman is unhinged. It will not end well. I predict he will kill Michelle Hurd at some point.

• Love 1

Not as good as last week's episode, but still watchable. Glad to see some continuity going on and even (shock!) character development (Stubbly actually telling his team to suck it up and just work with people they don't trust - even if it's ridiculously hypocritical of him). Liked Archie Punjab showing how she was a good manager by getting Jane to work with the team (even if I don't think "Had to struggle with racism" is worse than "tortured for three months", but whatevs - it worked).

Of course, there's still the ridiculousness of "taking random people on missions and then getting surprised when disaster happens". I was expecting it to turn out that she was going to turn out to be in on it with her boss (possibly even AFTER she was shot) because that would actually be a (semi-)believable twist. But hey, why have plausible twists when you can have ridiculous personal dramas?

Reade: OK, I'm glad we're actually adressing continuity, but they do it in the most ridiculous way possible. Not only am I (let's say) extremely sceptical about "repressed memories" as a plot device, but how come none of his co-abusees MENTIONED it before? Did NONE of them say, "So, YOU'RE testifying about 'the Cleveland game', right?"

Stubbly is a daddy: Why? It's not as if his BabyMamma is a regular, so if the actress is pregnant, she can just disappear while she's showing (they could even shoot episodes "Out of order" in the unlikely event she has some critical plot thread). And if they think people are interested in Stubbly's personal life... I really doubt it.

TV Anonymous So I guess agent neck-beard does not know much about birth control?

To my recollection, the two of them were drinking as much as screwing, so accidents are more likely to happen.

Black Knight  I wanted Nas to reply something about Patterson's previous security violations making her totally ineligible. But I suspect the writers would like us to forget all about that because, y'know, Patterson shouldn't actually still have a job at all

If they didn't have Patterson, they'd never solve ANY of the clues! But I don't buy she couldn't convert an old 5.25 inch disc onto a modern format  - all her computers might be up to date, but she must deal with old tech all the time.

On 23/09/2016 at 4:21 PM, Sakura12 said:

Can they get rid of Kurt and keep Nas as the team lead? This show would be much more enjoyable without him. 

They could make him the mole. Ostensibly it makes no sense but I'm sure they could make it work with a dash of retcon. I actually didn't mind him last season, I found deluded but basically decent more compelling than angry reluctant team leader. I thought his anger at Jane at the end of S1 was badly written, given how heavily he encouraged her to believe she was Taylor.

Edited by Beatriceblake