Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E03: Bread Week

• Start Topic

On 6/24/2017 at 4:39 AM, 2727 said:

It's not Candice's fault she has such pronounced bow lips, but it is her decision to play them up with intense lipstick colors. I'm having trouble seeing past it to the person.

Done to make herself more memorable.  Using such dark lipstick reminds me of Michelle Gomez as Missy on Doctor Who.  

So far Candice is not my favorite.   

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MortysCleaningLady said:

If I were ever on this show, for fear of underbaking, I would be making nothing larger than a loaf pan.   (My showstopper would be a tribute to Jenga.)

Wasn't that the Pakistani guy's (sorry, I haven't learned all the names yet) strategy in the technical?  He kept being worried because his dough was so much smaller than everyone else's.  And then, his baked properly and their's didn't.

I'd rethink a tribute to Jenga.  You know that Paul would insist on trying to knock one of the pieces out.  And then you'd get a pitying look if it didn't work right.  But Mary would insist that it tasted great.

Who won star baker for bread week during Nadia's season?  I thought it was (contestant) Paul who made a giant lion bread sculpture that (judge) Paul went into raptures over.  If so, he didn't make the finals. 

16 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

Who won star baker for bread week during Nadia's season?  I thought it was (contestant) Paul who made a giant lion bread sculpture that (judge) Paul went into raptures over.  If so, he didn't make the finals. 

Ian won that week and he was in the final. Contestant Paul had the most memorable bread sculpture though.

• Love 2

I have been wanting to try Dampfnudel since Paul made them in the Berlin episode of his City Bakes series.  I guess it's the German half of me. 

Anyone know if they Paul and Mary did a Masterclass for this series? I've finished the one's on Netflix.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, bkathi said:

Anyone know if they Paul and Mary did a Masterclass for this series? I've finished the one's on Netflix.

S7 did not have Masterclass. Instead, they had a two-ep Christmas special which I hope PBS will air.

• Love 1
On 9/8/2016 at 5:28 PM, LaChavalina said:

My overall impression this season is that the bakers are a lot closer together in talent than they've been in recent seasons, but on the whole none of them are as good as the standouts of seasons past. Likable as always, but I was hoping for another Cecil the Lion bread to really wow me.

The first thing we thought of when it got to the showstopper was Cecil. I rather liked the corn maiden - it wasn't as much of a show stopper as Cecil, of course, but I thought it was extremely well done.

On 6/24/2017 at 1:39 AM, 2727 said:

Doughy failure after failure this week, which was a bit unpleasant/stressful to watch.

It's not Candice's fault she has such pronounced bow lips, but it is her decision to play them up with intense lipstick colors. I'm having trouble seeing past it to the person.

When I can take my eyes off the lips, I like her. They're  a very hard look on her fairly delicate features.  I don't normally comment about the looks of contestants - but the lips are just so dominant.

As long as I've started on looks - was I the only one who thought Andrew was the youngest one (instead of Michael) in the beginning?

9 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Maybe because we're in roughly the same age group, so her quirks don't seem as cute to me. 

I'm also in her age group and think she's a hoot.  Loved her comment in biscuit week when her Statue of Liberty fell over - "alas, she gave up".  I'm delighted to have someone older hanging in there;  in past episodes, those of a certain age seemed to be amont the first to go.

• Love 12
19 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I'm also in her age group and think she's a hoot.  Loved her comment in biscuit week when her Statue of Liberty fell over - "alas, she gave up".  I'm delighted to have someone older hanging in there;  in past episodes, those of a certain age seemed to be amont the first to go.

Different tastes - but I admit, I do start out hoping the more "experienced" bakers will end up on top. I missed that comment somehow - which is indeed amusing. Probably because my daughter and I were too busy doing Planet of the Apes jokes.

2 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I'd miss a lot as well except for closed captioning!  Those accents sometimes have me saying "huh?".

And even with closed captioning, one must occasionally google to find the meaning of phrases like "made a right pig's ear of that one, did't you?"

• Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I'd miss a lot as well except for closed captioning!  Those accents sometimes have me saying "huh?".

I used cc for most things - but I hesitate with the baking show because I'm afraid I won't see the results quite as well.

8 hours ago, AZChristian said:

And even with closed captioning, one must occasionally google to find the meaning of phrases like "made a right pig's ear of that one, did't you?"

I read a lot of books set in the UK, and watch a lot of British/Scottish and Australian TV shows (thank you Netflix), so I generally get the gist of the phrases. Sometimes though, if it's something I've only read, it's fun to hear how they actually say it. 

I did once use YouTube's closed captioning for a Graham Norton show when there was someone with a thick Scots accent, and the results were pretty hysterical. We enjoyed that as much as the actual interview.

Edited by Clanstarling
(edited)
On 6/26/2017 at 4:41 PM, Clanstarling said:

When I can take my eyes off the lips, I like her. They're  a very hard look on her fairly delicate features.  I don't normally comment about the looks of contestants - but the lips are just so dominant.

They remind me of mime lips. Maybe she's a mime when she's not baking.

Edited by ennui
  • Love 3

Paul's full of shit about babka. It's not "more normally cake." And his nitpicking that Benjamina's bake was a crown/couronne not a babka was him being an asshole. I hate him when he does that. Good for Mary (or whoever it was) for calling out his crankiness. And I loved that Sue sneered at him a bit later. He was a real asshole this whole episode. 

I think the bakers got overly ambitious with the chocolate bread bake (the signature), and that's why so many of them were underbaked.

I loved watching them all make Dampfnudel. It was really fun seeing them trying to figure out the recipe. It's not something I'd want to make or eat, though. Not my kind of thing at all.

Tom's reaction to being star baker was adorable. Michael leaving wasn't unexpected, but it's still sad.

• Love 2

My local PBS station is showing the next episode, Pastry Week (Episode 5), at 2 am on Monday, the 10th. Yes, 2 am! So, if you have the capability to do so, be sure to thoroughly look every timeslot to make sure you don't miss it. However, my DVR does not show when episode 6 is being aired here. 

On 8/31/2016 at 8:20 PM, Athena said:

Mel heads to Germany to discover how one brave baker and a few hundred dumplings saved his small town from the ravages of the Thirty Years' War.

I would have liked to see this.  Too bad my local station didn't air it.  :-(

On 6/23/2017 at 7:52 PM, Kohola3 said:

I call foul on the German dumpling thingies.  First of all, they looked just vile.

They are delicious, and one of my all time favorite childhood meals.  Ours were huuuuge, and were most often eaten with (horrors!) canned peaches - with lots of juice to soak up.   I still remember my eager anticipation, waiting for them to rise under a tea towel on the kitchen counter. My Mum & Oma always steamed  them in their big old electric frypans with just a little oil & water, which created a lovely crunchy bottom.  YUM!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

I would have liked to see this.  Too bad my local station didn't air it.  :-(

They are delicious, and one of my all time favorite childhood meals.  Ours were huuuuge, and were most often eaten with (horrors!) canned peaches - with lots of juice to soak up.   I still remember my eager anticipation, waiting for them to rise under a tea towel on the kitchen counter. My Mum & Oma always steamed  them in their big old electric frypans with just a little oil & water, which created a lovely crunchy bottom.  YUM!

My Tante didn't make Dampfnudelen, so far as I knew. But she made softball sized bread and bacon dumplings (with cracklings in the center), and Zwetschgenknödel (plum dumplings sprinkled with cinnamon sugar) which were magnificent.  Tante cooked most of the day - they had a farm and had like 5 full meals a day. Her food was always the best.

• Love 4

I never dislike any of our lovely contestants on this show, but Candice is perilously close to approaching Ruby territory for me.  She's always down on herself and her bakes, apologizing and being all embarrassed before they've even tasted it, and then miraculously she gets a good critique from Paul and is soooo surprised.  It just starts to come across as a bit disingenuous.  Plus, Paul always seems to coddle her a bit, like he did Ruby, and it just bugs.  I think his response to her comment about being embarrassed would have been different if another contestant had said it.

• Love 6
(edited)
On 6/26/2017 at 10:35 PM, meep.meep said:

Wasn't that the Pakistani guy's (sorry, I haven't learned all the names yet) strategy in the technical?  

This is a little late in the day I know. However, my sincere apologies, I'm putting this here after a lot of soul searching because this misunderstanding has been literally fatal in the past, but Rav doesn't look Pakistani and I don't think he is Pakistani. Based on his turban, he looks Sikh (an adherent of another religion) to me. And therefore more likely to be of Indian origin. 

Please ignore the title of the segment, not trying to make a political statement or calling you Islamophobic, just think they covered the issue reasonably well. 

Edited by romantic idiot
  • Love 5