Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E17: Andrea, Alex & Andrea

When the Catfish girl came out, my first thought was that she looked a bit like Andrea.

My immediate logic was: people told her she looked like Andrea, but she's overweight, so she had an Andrea profile to sort of see how people would treat her if she was slim.

By the way, never heard of that Andrea girl on Youtube.

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, Judois said:

Lord. I think I've finally reached my limit on this show. Famous You Tubers? Really? God,I'm old. 

Save me a spot beside you at the nursing home, because I was like, "Famous on YouTube?  What...how...huh?"

I really liked Alex.  He seemed like such a decent, genuine guy.  I believed him when he told the fake Andrea that she could still reach out to him when she needed to talk to someone.

• Love 6

Whatever happened to people being famous for ... like, performing or having careers and whatnot? Also, why are all these whippersnappers on my lawn?

EuropeanGirl, I thought she kind of resembled Andrea too, but her description of how she picked this "celebrity" at random is so funny (and so obviously NOT what they wanted her to say) that I figure it has to be true.

• Love 5

There isn't really anything odd about being famous on YouTube. YouTube is just another entertainment platform. People follow and watch others on YouTube for various interests. Some of the people are really talented in different areas or really creative. There are also a lot of kids specifically that grew up with YouTube so it makes sense. Sorry about the diatribe. I 33 but none of this is knew to me. I don't know what Andrea does though in terms of talent. If she's just like a vlogger or some shit where they just sit and talk to the camera then that's some shit I will never get into.

I think Andrea or people who represent her contacted the show to use them but I don't really think it's a publicity stunt. She doesn't really need it. At 3 million plus viewers, you can make up to thousands per months easily.

• Love 3

How did this episode even exist? So freaking boring. Bring back that dude that was obsessed with Katy Perry and do a whole season on him that ends with Katy meeting him and telling him she has no idea who he is. He would think she was just hiding their relationship from Orlando Bloom...

• Love 4

I couldn't get into this episode because Andrea was just so.....performing all the time. And she obviously takes herself very seriously even though, as Tara said in her article, no one old enough to have a driver's license knows who she is. I know that she was somewhat confused about people creating profiles with her and her relatives' and best friend's likenesses, but her method of income is based upon talking about her life, right? So. maybe she offered tidbits of information that created opportunities for weirdos/catfish. 

Alex seemed like a nice young man, but I think he was hoping to find fame. And I think his "Skype would disconnect" story was suspect. Then, here comes the old chestnut.  Zoie...friendless, drunk and abusive boyfriend, miscarriage, (were there some parenting issues thrown in too?).  These catfish, always with the sob stories. 

• Love 5

When Nev was announcing to Max that he is now engaged to his girlfriend, his tone of voice sounded like something you'd use to announce you have a terminal illness. No joy, elation. More like ~let's get this over with~  And then Max's response was a very weak "oh yay....great...whatever" He couldn't muster up more feeling. Tells a lot about this girl who is carrying Nev's fetus. Yes, that's what happens when you don't use contraception. Aren't they in their 30's and should know this by now? Then they mention my crush and spirit animal Max is married. ~sob!~

What does Andrea Whoever have to say so much of on YouTube to keep people interested and subscribing to her videos? Is she funny, does she sing? do crafts? Dance around her bedroom? show makeup tips? ponder life's hidden meanings? offer advice and deep wisdom at the ripe old age of 21? 

Great money for making videos for sure, but not sure how long she can keep up the YouTubing. I think she did contact Catfish and hopes this opens doors for her. Same with singer/songwriter Alex. Heck yeah he wrote a tune at 4:30am!  When the MTV cameras are here, you gotta jump!

• Love 3

I have been watching catfish for a while now and it has occurred to me that catfishing is identity theft.

Now as far as I know, identity theft is illegal. So doesn't that mean catfishing is illegal? and why aren't these people being prosecuted?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Mike1963 said:

I have been watching catfish for a while now and it has occurred to me that catfishing is identity theft.

Now as far as I know, identity theft is illegal. So doesn't that mean catfishing is illegal? and why aren't these people being prosecuted?

Good question. I'd think that the victim of identity theft would consult police. Not an MTV show. But then again, I wouldn't want it broadcast on TV if someone stole my identity. 

So Alex just happened to bring his guitar along for the plane trip, huh? As a musician, I can confirm that nobody does that unless they're flying to a gig.

I've watched this show since ep 1, and it still makes makes me stabby every week. And I know I'm old and not hip (or with it), but I will never understand the concept of watching people like Andrea talk about nonsense on YouTube. So she recorded a thing for a Justin Bieber contest, and then everyone loved her? Ha, ok.

• Love 6

Well that was a boring episode. I did like that Alex was nice to Zoie about the whole thing. He seems like a sweet guy. He looked so heartbroken and almost in tears when Nev and Max were telling him "you weren't speaking to the real Andrea."

I guess I'll join you guys at the nursing home because I do not get YouTube famous people. Andrea seemed nice though

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Mike1963 said:

I can't believe I'm about to admit that I watched Dr. Phil (in my defense, it was on at the gym!), but he had some "catfishers" on a few years ago, and at least at that time, no catfishing isn't illegal because the act of pretending to be someone else online isn't technically illegal.  It breaks terms of service agreements on some platforms, but you can't be arrested for it.  What you CAN be arrested for, however, is if you catfish someone specifically for money (which, actually, we have seen from a few people) or a more "To Catch a Predator"-type situations, where say, a 40 year old guy pretends to be a 15 year old to get nude photos from an underage girl.  

So, in our Andrea example, real Andrea and Alex wouldn't have a whole lot of recompense if they wanted to sue fake Andrea, since fake Andrea never (or at least, we didn't see) tried to gain financially from her con.    

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Mike1963 said:

Identity theft means obtaining someone's social security #, credit card #, date of birth, etc by illegal means and using that information for their own financial gain, or maybe getting fake documentation for an illegal alien.  Catfishing isn't typically a crime because the catfish-ee put their own info out on social media, and anyone using it to impersonate the catfish-ee didn't "steal" that information.  And impersonating someone to get attention or make friends isn't illegal either.  Now, if the catfish cons the catfish-ee into giving them money under false pretenses, that could be considered fraud, or the catfish-ee could sue the catfish in civil court for defamation of character. 

41 minutes ago, TheVoicesToldMeTo said:

Now, if the catfish cons the catfish-ee into giving them money under false pretenses, that could be considered fraud, or the catfish-ee could sue the catfish in civil court for defamation of character.

Money doesn't have to change hands for it to be illegal, as long as it's clear that was the intent. Catfish need to watch it with the sob stories because painting a picture of someone to whom others might offer financial assistance could be seen as intent, even if they aren't explicitly asking for money.

"I don't want to prejudice you against her before we've even really started, but this white girl from Fort Wayne, Indiana does her YouTubing under the username GETTOxFABxFOREVER. NOPExBARFxDELETEYOURACCOUNT"

Haha, Tara, that was great!  So true. 

Ugh at Andrea, just Ugh. Very uninteresting. I don't get how she's so popular. Now, get off my lawn!! I will join everyone else in the nursing home. 

• Love 1

Okay, is it just me? but as a parent of a 7th grader (12 year old child) and having a kid technically a year older than when Andreya started her you tube thing would any parent out there in their right mind let their middle schooler have a regular you tube channel?  

I mean, talk about opening Pandora's box for every psycho, weirdo, pedophile on the planet, etc.  Why would a parent allow this? I'm not saying the parents can practically monitor every.single.thing. on social media that their kid does (because it's easier said than done!) but my question is, where are/were the parents in all this when it started?  They had to know about it and why didn't they shut it down?

Also, on a superficial note Nev is borderline mega creepy and I hate the way he's always playing up for the cameras (i.e. - picking up all the dead phones and pretend answering/talking into them).  Yeah, I've had my quota of that.  Maybe I just am too old.  On the other hand, Max ... I like that silver fox.

Edited by beesknees