Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: How to Kill Friends and Influence People

• Start Topic

So the 6s are mostly gone for now.

But who's running that massive fleet ?  And where is it ?
They can't all be Black Root, can they ?

Glad that Fancy is back to being a normal asshole.

And Clara is back to go on an adventure with Johnny in Khlyen's ship.

Did Delle Seyah really die ?

Liked Dutch and Johnny's moment in her bedroom.

Khlyen is finally dead -- but it turns out his actions for Yelena were always with the best intent, to protect her and train her.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 5

That finale was fun, but also touching. Dutch and Johnny, Dutch and Khlyen, Johnny and Pree. There were some excellent character moments in this ep.

I have to think that's not the end of Khlyen (or maybe my Rob Stewart crush is clouding my judgment). Ditto Delle Seyah Kendry.

D'Av and Fancy are a close second to D'Av and Alvis. 

"You're a Six not a ten" had me dying, as did "Stop Khlyening!"

Will it be tradition for one of the Jaqobis brothers to go missing in every finale?

Lucy proved once again that she's the best. Calling Clara to be Johnny's wingman was awesome. 

Now begins the long wait for season 3 :-(

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 11

First off, DSK is not dead - no way I'm buying that she died peacefully with a smile on her lips.  (gonna guess she's already been gooed and was in the process of healing, thus the 'relieved smile')

Didn't lose Fancy, sweet.  Thought for sure that all the bullet holes he acquired while being the human shield was going to open back up and he'd die from that.

Sucks to lose Khlyen.  Always in need of a frienemy.  Dutch's emotional turmoil over it was portrayed very well, both in script and acting.

Dutch and Johnny scenes are boss, no matter the circumstances.  HJ-K & AA have some really great chemistry.

D'avin has turned out to be a pretty good quip slinger.  He's actually pretty funny now, instead of just trying to be.

Well, I foresee a not-breathing state of being on Clara's horizon.  Even if her & John don't become 'entangled', just being involved in the plot like so does not bode well for her chances of too much longevity.  Hopefully she wills Johnny _______ (what name does she call the gun, again?) in case of her demise.

ETA:  Why do I get the feeling that a possible place the Black Root ship, that previously 'belonged' to Fancy & Khlyen, went is to the invading fleet?   Maybe the button John pressed was the always-handy "return back to home base/the fleet" one.  (that last shot of Aneela, the huge ship, and all the little BR ones looked like invading fleet to me, anyways - which means HJ-K is going to be very busy next season, pulling double-duty in probably quite a few episodes, including a few scenes of each of her characters facing off against each other)

And now the ~9 month wait begins..... *slumps over in seat and dispiritedly lets head thump on desk*

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 5

Definitely don't think Delle is dead.  John clearly dropped the ball on that front and should have just gone for the headshot.  I'm guessing someone will either find her, or she secretly has the same goo Aneela has or something, and will end up being able to heal.  I just don't see her dying this easily.  Way too much potential for a recurring antagonist for the group.

Khylen though, is totally a goner, although I can see them still working him back in via flashbacks or visions.  Either way, Rob Stewart was amazing in the role, and made me believe that Khylen really did do what he thought was right to protect Dutch, even if could be some of the worst things possible.  Won't ever make him a nice guy, but I found him fascinating.  I will miss the character, but at least his final act was helping Dutch and dealing a blow to the bad guys.

Glad Fancy pulled through though, even if he can no longer be a human body-shield!  I hope he continues to stick around, because he is such a blast.  All of the scenes between him and D'Avin were golden.  Honestly, I noticed this season had a lot of D'Avin being paired with various characters (Fancy, Alvin, Khylen), and it being surprisingly fun.  I remember back when I didn't really care about him in the first season, but D'Avin has become kind of awesome now.

I hope John isn't separated from everyone else for too long.  His scene with Dutch over them both losing someone was great.  And, dammit, I came close to tearing up over his good-bye to Lucy.  Yeah, yeah, she's a ship, but Tamsen McDonough really made Lucy come off confused and sad, when John was getting ready to leave.  Those two are meant for each other!

But I'm glad he's got Clara!  They kind of gave away the surprise by having Stephane Leonidas in the credits, but I'm glad she and her badass arm are back.  I hope we see more of her next season!

Glad they managed to work Pree in for one scene.  Alvis too.  They did a good job with giving all the recurring characters a moment.  Even Pawter's presence was felt throughout the episode.

Biggest surprise is that they finally got a big former Lost Girl actor here, with Rick Howland playing the safe manager or whoever he was.  Felt like Dark Matter was getting all of them, so it's about time!  I guess the question now is which show will either Anna Silk or Ksenia Solo guest on first?!

Can't wait till next season, especially with Aneela as the possible big baddie.  Curious to see Hannah John-Kamen play two different type of characters, if that is the direction this is heading.  But I'm glad we're getting more adventures from Dutch, John, and D'Avin!  And Lucy!  And Fancy!  And Pree!!

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

Will it be tradition for one of the Jaqobis brothers to go missing in every finale?

God, I hope not.  I prefer even just the smallest bits of originality in my shows.

But I wouldn't be surprised at all if its Dutch who's AWOL at the end of next season.

• Love 1

Nitpicking John's need to run away to 'protect' Dutch [& D'avin]... the area didn't exactly appear to be teeming with life, so why would he feel the need to disappear because he believed that he knew he was witnessed to be DSK's killer?

Or did he know it wasn't a kill shot and left her alive for some as-to-yet unknown reason - but if that's the case, how does that protect his team since they're the first ones she'd go after to find him??

• Love 3

They actually managed to land Kline's story arc in a way that made sense. I'm impressed - His motives were confusing because he changed plans completely at least twice. Once when finding Dutch as a kid, and again when Davin's goo wizardry implied a way to attack the slime directly.

Happy to see Cara again - this was a really well done season end - wound up plot lines in a way that is acceptable if the show doesn't get renewed, set up a new season really well. 

Open questions: Why the heck Dutch is an Aneela clone. I was assuming that was Kline's handywork, but if not, it was someone elses plot. Who? And what were they even trying to do? Just a shot in the dark trying to mess with Kline? Aneela herself being cray-cray? 

Edited by Izeinwinter
  • Love 2

I remember back when I didn't really care about him in the first season, but D'Avin has become kind of awesome now.

Amazing how that happened, right? I was kinda meh on D'Avin in season 1, but he's been one of my favorite parts of season 2. Well played, show!

• Love 5

I think once again the only part of the show I liked was Johnny.  I actually thought the show was going to give Johnny five minutes to mourn Pawter and then never speak of her again so I was surprised at Johnny shooting Delle.  I am almost positive she isn't dead.  You dont kill a villian like that easy plus I doubt the show has any intention of making Johnny a murderer.

Still don't care about D'Avin but his scenes with Fancy were fun.  Human Shield!!!!!

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

No, Johnny is not going to shoot a woman to death when it's not self defense...and maybe not if it was. In the sense that premeditated murder of a woman is a no-no for the romantic lead, the script has let him off,  but has to have it all edgy and pretend. They were sure we knew not to think so badly of Johnny over the break by putting in that smile. (Presumably DSK got her plasma from Aneela direct? Otherwise she'd be like Fancy.) 

As for the rest, thank goodness our saviors don't have to work for a living, so that they can devote their time to conquering an army single-handed. As to the overall Big Plot, it certainly was there, but I'm sorry sticking a pin into the voodoo tree was awfully cheap so the heroes could win yet again. 

• Love 3

I loved this episode.  Even though I am thoroughly upset that Khlyen is dead because I loved his brand of anti-hero in all of this and Rob Stewart is just a fine looking man so i will miss the hell out of him.  But this felt like a Killjoys episode.  Something I can't say about a lot of the episodes this season.  Khlyen came through with both critical information and solution and brought the emotion for the crew.  And of course there was Fancy.  These two immediately injected some adrenaline into the episode, which begs the question why were they so under utilized this season?  Why didn't Dutch & Co hook up with Fancy and Khlyen much earlier and work together sooner?  All the revelations in this one episode could have easily been expanded to multiple episodes.  Heck we could have had an entire flashback episode of Khlyen's experiments, how it affected his team and actually showed Aneela's descent into madness.

Instead we had to sit through an episode with a man who lived too long, a bunch of missing kids in a deserted school, a spooky bug hunt, D'avin's bartender girlfriend an so on.  And in the end what did they actually contribute to this ending?  I did love the episodes with Pawter's family because it tied in well with what Delle was up to and it gave a much needed glimpse of the world of the Nine.  But otherwise, everything else felt like treading water. 

Outside of the awesome premiere and a couple of other episodes, this season really was a big disappointment for me.  I hope next season is better.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

But I'm glad he's got Clara!  They kind of gave away the surprise by having Stephane Leonidas in the credits, but I'm glad she and her badass arm are back.  I hope we see more of her next season!

---

Biggest surprise is that they finally got a big former Lost Girl actor here, with Rick Howland playing the safe manager or whoever he was.  Felt like Dark Matter was getting all of them, so it's about time!  I guess the question now is which show will either Anna Silk or Ksenia Solo guest on first?!

Show, please have more Stephanie L next season.  I love her and Clara so much.  I want to see more of her.

And yes, Trick!  Finally.  I was happy Killjoys got him too.  I hope we see Anna Silk next.  I think she would be a great villain, I don't even care which show it is. 

I thought this episode was great.  I need to go back and watch it again as I missed the beginning of the explanation of how the Green Goo Aliens were connected with the Company.  But it really doesn't matter.  This show is all about the characters and they are all good. 

• Love 4

Man, what an exposition dump this episode proved to be. I'm still confused - Khlyen was on a mad botany mission and found green plasma which he thought he could use as a fertilizer (sure why not). The stuff turned everyone into Hullen because there's a parasite living inside the green goo. Aneela goes bonkers because her brain can't deal with the transition. The Hullen make a deal with the Nine that after ten generations they'd be assimilated. Then the Hullen leave the Quad for the time being but will return to harvest plasma on Arkyn. In order to foil that plan Dutch & Co need find a tree sapling in a pool of plasma the Scarbacks took from Arkyn but that Aneela stole back from them. Tree sapling is stored in an archive nobody has ever heard about. Dutch & Co find manage to poison the well and all Arkyn-made Sixes return human (yay, for Sabine - except she's got her own show).

*Takes a deep breath* So, why do the Hullen need to invade the Quad when they've already been here? Are we supposed to think that little Scarback raiding party was all it needed so scare them away? Khlyen's little farm, Aneela's lab - everything was on Arkyn. Why leave and make a deal with the Nine? This makes no sense. I wish they had dished out all those tidbits more evenly throughout the season because trying to follow the plot logic in all those flashbacks distracted me completely from the rest of the episode. I managed to catch some great quips though.

Also: Glad Fancy's back and human. Johnny, have ever heard of a double tap? (Of course he hasn't since this show won't go so dark to have John Jaqobi kill a woman in cold blood).

Riddles the show should solve next season (preferably with better pacing and less romantic drama): What actually is Aneela's bond to Dutch? Why did Khlyen leave his mad daughter to her own devices, looking for a tutoring job in a harem? How exactly did the experiment on D'Avin turn him not just immune to the parasite but also give him control over it? (I think we'll never get an answer beyond 'because science'.) Will we ever find out more about Pree's background as a warlord? What was the Scarback faith about before they got their hands on that tree in parasite plasma and why did they think it deserved reverence?

Apparently this season and the finale made me grumpy, sorry. I hope next season will dump the cheesy credits (I blame them for all the stuff I didn't like) and turn out better.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Lokiberry said:

How come Khlyen told Delle Sayah about Dutch & Co going to the Archive? That little bit of treachery doesn't make any sense. Wouldn't it have been easier to poison the tree goo without having to fight off enemy ships?

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the transmission that DSK received from 'Khlyen' purely made up and doctored by Johnny, to lure her to spot he shot her at?  Going by the line, when she realized "so that was you".  And I don't believe Johnny told her they were going to The Archive, but I could be remembering wrongly.  (going to do a re-watch sooner than later)

• Love 5

I kind of think DSK is dead simply because it looks like season 3 will be moving beyond the Quad. I thought this was as strong finish to the season. I'm interested to see how the show incorporates Clara, Fancy, and Pree into the core group without sacrificing the core trio's chemistry. That's assuming Fancy and Pree go with Dutch, and Clara stays with John.

1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

That's how I remember it too. Faux Khlyen just told DSK that Dutch & Co were about to become a problem and arranged a meeting with her. But that still leaves the question how the Black Root knew about the Archive.

I immediately though of that right after answering the previous question. 

(haven't re-watched yet)  Did the two BR ships show up before or after Dutch & Lucy 'hacked' their way into Aneela's private storage area at The Archive, via the bio-scan?  If after, I'm guessing some sort of 'silent alarm' set up by Aneela was triggered and the BR ships were sent in to check it out/kill the would-be intruders.  Pure speculation on my part though, as I have no other valid guess. 

58 minutes ago, ZoqFotPik said:

I kind of think DSK is dead simply because it looks like season 3 will be moving beyond the Quad. I thought this was as strong finish to the season. I'm interested to see how the show incorporates Clara, Fancy, and Pree into the core group without sacrificing the core trio's chemistry. That's assuming Fancy and Pree go with Dutch, and Clara stays with John.

I don't disagree with your reasoning, but in a post-finale interview, show creator Michelle Lovretta

Spoiler

basically flat-out admitted that DSK did not die and will be back to be an antagonist of sorts to our favorite trio of neutral do-gooders, and their friends.

While also admitting that the plan is to expand beyond the Quad, and explore the possibilities awaiting outside the usual area of the galaxy that the Killjoys traversed in the first two seasons.

Not sure how I felt about this one...I think I liked it, but it made me sad, so I guess thats good. It actually did feel like Killjoys, and I did feel like we were getting somewhere finally. I am really excited about next season, so I guess that makes this basically a win? I think so. 

Fancy is back to being the Quads designated asshole! And we got to check in with Alvis and Pree, which makes me feel a little better about losing a decent amount of good characters this season. And no way is Delle dead. Her awesome evilness can not be stopped a little bullet to the stomach. 

The stuff with Dutch and Johnny was great, they have wonderful chemistry with each other, be it platonic or romantic. I will say, this season has kind of made me...not quite ship them, but I am certainly more open to a Dutch/Johnny OTP. Of course, now Johnny is running off to dealing with his issues with awesome Clara, maybe they will be putting off the hook up until later. 

This season, if nothing else, made me really enjoy D'Avin. I think when they stopped playing him as a possible Love Interest and Man of Mystery and just had him be a character, he started working a lot more. I liked his relationships with Dutch and Johnny, I thought his feelings for that 6 pretending to be a bartender were sweet, especially when we found out her true nature, and he finally got to be funny and charming. 

This season, while certainly not bad, was also not as interesting as season 1. It just felt...off. Maybe too much time splitting up the main team, maybe too many episodes that seemed pointless, I have a hard time putting my finger on it. Hopefully next season takes the promise of this episode and runs with it!

• Love 6
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

The stuff with Dutch and Johnny was great, they have wonderful chemistry with each other, be it platonic or romantic. I will say, this season has kind of made me...not quite ship them, but I am certainly more open to a Dutch/Johnny OTP. Of course, now Johnny is running off to dealing with his issues with awesome Clara, maybe they will be putting off the hook up until later.

You're welcome to join the club, if you wish.   There won't be any scheduled weekly meetings again until next June or July, but its open invitation.  :)

• Love 1
4 hours ago, KaleyFirefly said:
On 9/3/2016 at 0:55 AM, call me ishmael said:

I have to think that John was pretty sloppy walking away from Delle at the end.  And with only one shot? I can't believe she is actually dead.

I had really wanted to see her definitively DEAD.

In Sci Fi, there's dead, and then there's head-on-a-stick dead and Delle is definitely not head-on-a-stick dead. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

In Sci Fi, there's dead, and then there's head-on-a-stick dead and Delle is definitely not head-on-a-stick dead. 

Sidebar: Whenever I hear the phrase head-on-a-pike or head-on-a-stick or similar, the following clip from Babylon 5 always comes to mind.

Sidebar over.  Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

• Love 4

In my mind, every show that breaks up their team for whatever reason ends up sucking.  Just thinking about Season 3 pisses me off.  And I liked the Gun Girl whose name I cannot remember.  I do not understand the desire for show runners to break up their team!  One half of one episode I will give them.  No more.  This season had too many episodes with the fragmented team.  

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, gibasi said:

In my mind, every show that breaks up their team for whatever reason ends up sucking.  Just thinking about Season 3 pisses me off.  And I liked the Gun Girl whose name I cannot remember.  I do not understand the desire for show runners to break up their team!  One half of one episode I will give them.  No more.  This season had too many episodes with the fragmented team.  

I don't see the team being separated for long, in terms of Johnny & Clara off doing whatever, and Dutch & D'avin (& Pree + Fancy + Alvis?) looking for them.... at least I hope not.  I hope the creator & writers realize this show is at its very best when the team is actually that, a team. 

But I do agree wholeheartedly that much of the latter stages of this last season felt lacking because of the team's frequent fragmentation, in the sense that John was off doing the 'secret' thing with (or for) Pawter while Dutch & D'avin were chasing clues on the goo, L6s, & Aneela.

I'm so sorry to see the end of Khlyen. His arc was handled well. He was such a good character and wore the best outfits. Kudos to the costumer.

I enjoyed the season and I can be forgiving of the bumps because I appreciate that they were trying to expand the world building while still also keeping focus on character motivation and relationships. And only had 10 eps to do all that.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, HDJulie said:

Since Lucy had to switch Dutch's genome with Aneela's to open the archive, does that mean that Dutch is definitely not a clone or sibling or any other biological thing?

Good question. Apparently not.

But, it's hard to see how all the genes required to produce the same physical appearance could be different. At first I wondered if that dialogue meant they were using Khlyen's DNA just to find which lockbox was Aneela's, then Dutch could open that because she was genetically identical to Aneela. But apparently not.

• Love 1

I think that most of all us believe that DSK survived Johnny's shooting of her, and quite a few of us believe its because she had become Hullen. 

Was re-watching this episode this morning and it seems we were given the hidden-clue info as to how/when she was 'leveled up'.  In the scene where she takes the fake!Khlyen communication from Johnny, just before it comes in, she asks the female underling next to her if they had "found what she was looking for?", and the woman replied that they "had to dig through the rubble at Spring Hill, but acquired some of it".  So, IMO, they got some Hullen-green-goo from Spring Hill, and between the end of the call from Khlyen to when she rendezvoused with Johnny (to get shot), she had Hullen-ated herself, thus leading to surviving the would've-been fatal wound.

But, now realizing, that can't be true, because our heroes+Khlyen 'killed' all the "offspring Hullen" when the "parent tree" was used to poison all the green goo that came from Arkyn.  Unless.......... they had green goo from somewhere other than Arkyn stored somewhere in Spring Hill, and that's what was used when DSK self-medicated. 

I guess I still don't really know at this point, lol.  All I do feel confident in is that DelleSeyehKendry isn't dead, no matter how she survived.