Type keyword(s) to search

Speculation and Anticipation for Feud: A Ryan Murphy Joint

On 10/18/2016 at 2:50 PM, psychoticstate said:

I'm a huge fan of classic Hollywood so I hope Ryan Murphy doesn't jack this up.  I did think that Jessica Lange would make a better Davis and Susan Sarandon would make a better Crawford so we shall see.

It's absurd how much I'm looking forward to this. I've read biographies on both women and also read Bette Davis's two autobiographies, so I'm really curious to see how this turns out. 

I'm also curious to know how objective this will be and whether or not Ryan Murphy feels inclined to take sides at all. 

I also wonder if we'll get any flashbacks in this series. I know RM loves a good flashback and I can see Lange and Sarandon both jumping at the opportunity to play Davis and Crawford when they were a bit more glamorous. 

The casting of Catherine Zeta Jones for Olivia feels a little off age wise to me, but I still think she'll do a good job. Sarah Paulson also doesn't seem quite right for Geraldine Page, but I appreciate her in all of Ryan Murphy's projects and am sure that I'll enjoy watching her here too. 

I'm very excited to see how Judy Davis will play Hedda Hopper. This might not be the best casting in terms of looks, but I full expect Davis's performance to be a highlight in this production. Hedda is a great character and actresses always seem to have fun playing her. Fiona Shaw and Helen Mirren are actresses who come to mind. 

• Love 4

I am a fan of Ryan Murphy and I think he can do this justice.  Especially a show like Feud.  Then again I don't think anyone does single season storylines like Ryan Murphy.   This along with the return of The Americans March can't come fast enough.  

• Love 2

I was interested in seeing this when I first read/saw stuff about it.

But then all the promos in the FXX app while watching Legion and Always Sunny have killed it completely.

I have never been more motivated than now to finally build that network-level adblocker Raspberry Pi project.

• Love 1
On 2/16/2017 at 6:11 PM, chitowngirl said:

I would love to see them tackle Olivia deHaviland and Joan Fontaine next season.

They are doing Charles and Diana next. Probably about Diana's feud with the royal family. Meh, I like your idea better.

• Love 3

For the longest time I thought Sarandon was Crawford and Lange was Davis. I still think that's probably the right casting, but we'll see how they do vice versa. Looking forward to it.

• Love 1

I would love to see them tackle Olivia deHaviland and Joan Fontaine next season.

They are doing Charles and Diana next. Probably about Diana's feud with the royal family. Meh, I like your idea better.

I had thought they'd tackle Olivia de Haviland and Joan Fontaine as well, if only because they went to the trouble of bringing Olivia into the current season.

(edited)

I had wondered about them doing Olivia and Joan too, but I'm guessing they thought two feuding actresses from the Golden Age of Hollywood would have been too familiar territory to mine two seasons in a row.

Edited by KFC
  • Love 1

We know that Feud Season 2 is Charles and Diana, but what other feuds could Ryan Murphy do?

I vote for Olivia de Haviland and Joan Fontaine. That was a feud that lasted a lifetime.

I'm a Royal family junkie so I am in for the season on Charles and Diana.  Diana feuded with the Royal family as a whole but with Charles as well, at least up until the last year or so of her life, so it should be interesting. 

I think focusing on Olivia de Havilland and Joan Fontaine would be fascinating.  Especially since Mother de Havilland apparently favored Olivia over Joan from day one (the sisters being only 15 months apart didn't seem to help.)  As much as I love Olivia, she was allegedly emotionally and physically abusive to Joan when they were growing up and the emotional abuse supposedly continued for years.  That kind of resentment - - heck, hatred - - is so hard to fathom and would certainly make for an interesting program.

• Love 2

I am going to see a musical in New York next week called War Paint.

It is about the feud between makeup giants Elizabeth Arden and Helena Rubinstein and is set in the early 20th century.

I know it must have already been optioned by someone, but it sounds like a great feud and would love to see it on TV. Imagine the costumes and makeup! It would be glorious.

After watching this weeks episode I am adding to my wishlist of feuds: Hedda Hopper and Louella Parsons. The dish they diedwith must be amazing, and what they had to do to keep their jobs would be a show worth watching

Edited by Arynm
make sure you spell the title right!
  • Love 3

I mentioned on another thread that I thought a Hedda Hopper/Louella Parsons feud would be fun to watch.

Back to Joan and Bette: I wonder if upcoming episodes will cover Joan's guest shot on The Lucy Show? The story was that Lucy and her boss, Mr. Mooney, somehow end up in Joan Crawford's house. There's no furniture in it and Joan is in work clothes cleaning it. The explanation is that the furniture has been sent out for re-upholstering (or something) and Joan is cleaning because she wants to. According to the show, she's retired by choice. But Lucy and Mooney conclude she must be broke, and they need to find work for her. They talk her into doing a benefit for them, after which her agent tells her people are clamoring for more Joan Crawford pictures. It seems really sad in retrospect: What was treated in the sitcom as a funny misunderstanding was the truth, and the scenario depicted was false. Joan did have financial troubles, she was desperate to work, and there didn't seem to be huge demand for more of her pictures in the mid-60's. The only true to life part was her penchant for cleaning.

What made it even sadder was that Lucille Ball could be a very demanding martinet, and she didn't have any tolerance for Joan's drinking. Joan allegedly said about working with Lucille, "My god, and they call me a bitch!"

• Love 2
(edited)
9 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Obviously.

Is it?

I wasn't alive then, so you may know more than I.

I Googled "Olivia de Havilland and Joan Crawford" and I came up with Olivia de Havilland and Joan Fontaine? 

Edited by mochamajesty
I keep mis-spelling Joan Fontaine
1 minute ago, tvaddict44 said:

The 2 sisters Olivia and Joan  were my choice for the next feud.  That feud has always fascinated me because I can't imagine anything better to live your whole life into the 90's and Olivia is 100 with a sister.  I think I've read it was some rivalry over a man - makes it even sillier than it might have been.  I also thought Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton could make a good story.  Didn't I read that next season is going to be Charles and Diana?  Think I'll skip that one...

Yeah, me too. It would interesting to see the Liz Taylor/Eddie Fisher/Debbie Reynolds/Richard Burton drama that surrounded the making of Cleopatra.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, tvaddict44 said:

The 2 sisters Olivia and Joan  were my choice for the next feud.  That feud has always fascinated me because I can't imagine anything better to live your whole life into the 90's and Olivia is 100 with a sister.  I think I've read it was some rivalry over a man - makes it even sillier than it might have been.  I also thought Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton could make a good story.  Didn't I read that next season is going to be Charles and Diana?  Think I'll skip that one...

Yes it is.  I am not sure about this one. I love all things Royal Family, but this has been done to death.

4 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Yeah, me too. It would interesting to see the Liz Taylor/Eddie Fisher/Debbie Reynolds/Richard Burton drama that surrounded the making of Cleopatra.

Great idea!!

• Love 2

A couple of other possibilities and I admit I don't know how they got along

Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber

Gypsy Rose Lee and June Haver

Frank Lloyd Wright and the Architectural World

And this goes back a while to a movie (it may have been a TV movie) with Elizabeth Taylor and Kim Novak. After a scan of several pages of Google, it may be the movie "The Mirror Cracked"

http://greginhollywood.com/lunch-break-video-elizabeth-taylor-and-kim-novack-face-off-in-1980s-the-mirror-crackd-47042

47 minutes ago, henrysmom said:

Oh this one would be SO good!.  Not because the sisters didn't get along but because they sometimes got along and sometimes didn't.  So much more complex than just outright hatred.

Gypsy June and Rose

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
(And if you're a GRL or June Havoc fan, I can't suggest enough reading American Rose: A Nation Laid Bare: The Life and Times of Gypsy Rose Lee by Karen Abbott.)

Someone on another thread suggested a Feud season that covered Natalie Wood & Robert Wagner. I'd watch that, too.

• Love 2

So season two will basically be big fancy British wedding... sleeping with other people...car crash? 

I'd rather they stick to golden age Hollywood or if they need something more current/ 90's how about  Tupac/Notorious BIG or Naomi/Tyra supermodel fued  I mean not really my cup of tea but seems more fun than royals.

• Love 3

“The Texas twang would come out when she would drink. The mid-Atlantic movie star MGM bullshit accent would go away.

That's from Ryan Murphy's Vanity Fair interview (linked on another thread) and it is how he said he and Jessica decided to work Joan Crawford's voice.

I lived in Texas for a decade and I think I know that Texas twang.  I don't think I've heard it yet on Feud and we have seen quite a bit of Joan Crawford drinking.