Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E06: It's Not Your Fault

Jeff journeys to Chicago, seeking redemption and a potential partnership with a furniture company. Elsewhere, fertility issues plague Jenni while Jeff and Gage bask in the excitement of their forthcoming baby.

I really enjoyed this episode and watching Jeff & his team create the catalog vignettes. I could have watched that for the whole hour and done without the Zoila updates and Jenny's shot. Part of what makes it enjoyable for me is that Walter E. Smithe is a real furniture company and they really do have a deal with Jeff to create curated collections. (Too often these kinds of things are just made up for the sake of "reality" tv.)

• Love 11

I live in Chicago and must now make a pilgrimage to Walter E Smith to view the collections for myself.  I've gotten that company and Ethan Allen mixed up in the past.

"I f**cking hate them." Don't pretty it up, Jeff. Tell us how you really feel. Don't just burn those bridges, Napalm them. Love him.

The vignettes were great. Best house p@rn I've had in ages. And I really liked all of the Smithes. I'm probably hopelessly old fashioned, but seeing them as real people makes me want to buy their furniture. Maybe it's because I grew up in during the Mrs Folgers, Mr. Whipple, and the Maytag repair man. I realize they weren't real, but it puts a face on a product.

• Love 13

I really enjoyed this episode as well.  Jeff is no doubt high maintenance, but he has a genius to back it all up, and we got to see his genius at work and at its best while doing the vignettes for Walter E. Smithe.  I thought Jenni's analogy of Walter saying he knew it wasn't Jeff's fault with Living Spaces to the scene of Robin Williams telling Matt Damon, "It's not your fault," over and over again in "Good Will Hunting" was pretty on point.  Sure, the two scenarios are on completely opposite ends of the spectrum, but I think the sentiment behind the words were the same.  Walter E. Smithe, his family, and business seem like good people.  I hope this business partnership is a very prosperous one for all parties involved and lasts a very long time.

I would love to see how the commercial turned out, but I can't seem to find it online (yet), unfortunately.  Anyone see it posted online somewhere and can link it?  (I do hope it turned out better than some of their past cheesy commercials I did find on YouTube, though.  LOL)

I briefly perused the Walter E. Smithe website and like what I see, but damn if it's not a little too rich for my blood at the moment, which is especially unfortunate since I'm getting ready to move into a new place of my own within the next couple of weeks.  I think I can at least get some inspiration, though, and perhaps find similar pieces I like elsewhere for less.

I couldn't help but wonder throughout this episode - could Living Spaces seek and demand a gag order of some sort be placed on Jeff?  I guess he's not outright slandering Living Spaces, but carefully phrasing his words in a way that expresses his feelings on what happened.  But judges place gag orders on plaintiffs and defendants for all sorts of reasons.  Even if Jeff is no long pursuing legal action against them, I can't imagine that Living Spaces is too thrilled with all that he has to say on the matter this season.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Willowsmom said:

Jeff has said nothing about Living Spaces only that he hates them because they fired him. Not a word about the products, quality or anything else that would effect the company negatively.

Right; that was my point. At least, that's basically how I see it as well.  Although, he was clearly alluding to how disorganized and half-assed the work of Living Spaces was when he was comparing to his experience working with the staff of Walter E. Smithe, complete with interjecting flashbacks of last season.  I can see how that could make the company think that he's potentially influencing people to see them in a negative light.  In any case, I was just wondering if even that would piss them off enough to seek a legal order to have Jeff leave "Living Spaces" out of his mouth completely when speaking publicly.  Jeff has a lot of fans; even if he is only speaking about his own negative feelings about them and what transpired, that can still influence many people to think negatively of the company.  Like I said, regardless of whether or not Living Spaces has a leg to stand on in seeking a gag order of some sort, it still makes me wonder if Jeff going on and on about them the way he has could still piss them off enough to even try to shut him up.

5 hours ago, Willowsmom said:

Jeff has said nothing about Living Spaces only that he hates them because they fired him. Not a word about the products, quality or anything else that would effect the company negatively.

And they owe him money.  Jeff will never let that go.

• Love 5

I'm enjoying this entire season......... Remember a couple of season's ago when they had that dumbass manic assistant and were constantly pulling pranks on him,  and he would go running and screaming around the house all the time? The show was really going down hill at that point. They really got it together since then. I wonder if Jeff had anything to do with what direction he wanted the show to go in, knowing what a flop that season was.  I'm also really enjoying NOT having to see Zoila's vile behavior towards Gage. They seem to have made peace. 

• Love 9

Loved the show last night. I had not watched for the past couple of seasons because I really hated all of the pranks and Jeff's behavior. It seems like he has "matured". Maybe the baby on the way has helped? He and Gage seem to have a good partnership. I like them both now. 

I also liked the Chicago furniture people. Nice that it is family owned and has been for generations. So interesting that all of the daughters are involved in the business. It seems like Jeff will be a good fit for them. Those homes were beautiful. I really enjoyed seeing Jeff and Gage and the team all working together and even Walter!

• Love 5
5 hours ago, strongoxman said:

Gage sure is a whiny little thing, isn't he?

Overall enjoyed the episode, and am loving this season so far.  This show is so L.A.; I love it.

I think that Gage acts as a buffer between Jeff and his clients. Jeff complains, Gage speaks to the client and smooths things out. Jeff needs Jenni and Gage to soften him up a bit.

I don't mind Zoila that much but it is good to see that she and Gage have patched things up.

Not a big fan of Chaz Deen but like his lovable dog.

This was such a good episode. I may have to store it on my DVR for playback. Loved the scene commercial scenes. I don't laugh out loud very often but I did several times.

• Love 7
On 8/19/2016 at 9:34 AM, bichonblitz said:

I'm enjoying this entire season......... Remember a couple of season's ago when they had that dumbass manic assistant and were constantly pulling pranks on him,  and he would go running and screaming around the house all the time? The show was really going down hill at that point. They really got it together since then. I wonder if Jeff had anything to do with what direction he wanted the show to go in, knowing what a flop that season was.  I'm also really enjoying NOT having to see Zoila's vile behavior towards Gage. They seem to have made peace. 

I never liked Andrew and anything connected with Andrew.  We could all see that he was on his way out - why couldn't it have been sooner rather than later? To have that bookended with constant fighting between Gage and Zoila was a real downer.  I needed some professionalism to come from somewhere and Gage was my last hope.  It does seem like they have pulled it together with a better team and I am glad that I stuck it out (it was iffy for awhile). 

I love to see Jeff designing and would love it if we got to see another "all Jeff Lewis" flip house.  Those were just great and made the petty bitchfests and practical jokes worth sitting through.

Loved the Smiths.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Pegasaurus said:

I guess some Zoila drama is coming up?  That's too bad. She comes across as really lazy.  I liked her in the very early shows but now, not so much.

I'm thinking this was editing trickery/fakery.  Even though the previews for next week showed Zoila and then Jeff yelling that they have the same argument every week (who knows who is included in that "they"), they also showed some guy who was walking away from an argument/disagreement during a conversation of some sort and Jeff asking him not to walk away.  So, Jeff probably later got him on the phone and is threatening to fire him if he didn't come back.  I'm betting the editing monkeys just want us to think it's Zoila so we tune in.  :P

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Willowsmom said:

I thought it was Vanina.

I thought they already played that card with her last season, though? And she finally spoke up about being overwhelmed.  She seems happier  to me this season.

Edited by LIGirl
On 8/20/2016 at 1:35 AM, Pegasaurus said:

Jeff and Gage have such a restrained relationship. At least on camera. When they heard the baby's heartbeat for the first time, I thought they would at least give each other a hug or a hearty slap on the back, but no. They seem very physically removed from each other.

When Jeff sort of stood behind Gage in the hotel room and put his arms around him I was like, "Whoa! What is this?" But then he was just trying to prevent Gage from squirming away while Jenni rubbed her boobs on him or whatever it was she was doing. 

Gage's role in the company seems to be ever-expanding.  In this episode alone, he steamed a bedspread, fixed the script issue, and even pitched the questions to Jeff and Jenni during the commercial shoot so Jeff's responses would be natural. He was pretty instrumental in the paint deal and presumably this Walter E. Smithe partnership as well. Jeff has made a few comments places (like WWHL) about how they've been together so long that they may as well get married because Gage would be owed palimony even if they didn't. While that's Jeff being flippant to avoid showing emotional vulnerability, it seemed shitty because Gage has helped Jeff make a lot of $$$.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Willowsmom said:

I thought it was Vanina.

In an earlier preview, it was edited to appear that it was Vanina that Jeff told if she didn't come back she was fired. Now in the preview for next week they made it appear he said it to Zoila. Now I'm guessing it will probably end up being neither of them.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, pbutler111 said:

Did anyone else think Jenni looked like she was sporting a baby bump in her talking heads?

I've been thinking that for a few episodes now. Or some of her outfits just aren't very flattering on her when she sits. 

We've seen her walk around in tight fitting clothes and she looks like a tiny person.  In some of her talking heads she looks quite a bit thicker.

3 minutes ago, gunderda said:

I've been thinking that for a few episodes now. Or some of her outfits just aren't very flattering on her when she sits. 

We've seen her walk around in tight fitting clothes and she looks like a tiny person.  In some of her talking heads she looks quite a bit thicker.

I'm thinking the talking heads are often done quite a while after the footage their commenting on was shot?  It's like on the Real Housewives of OC, you can just tell Meghan's already pregnant when she's doing her THs about going through IVF.

2 minutes ago, pbutler111 said:

I'm thinking the talking heads are often done quite a while after the footage their commenting on was shot?  It's like on the Real Housewives of OC, you can just tell Meghan's already pregnant when she's doing her THs about going through IVF.

yes I think so too - i think the producers or whatever figure out the storyline of each episode and then bring them in way after shooting is done and show them clips and get their comments. That's why it wouldn't surprise me if she is pregnant.  I expect an announcement towards the end of the season :)

And I don't think it would be a storyline for her IF she was not pregnant right now.

On 8/23/2016 at 9:09 AM, gunderda said:

And I don't think it would be a storyline for her IF she was not pregnant right now.

In July she gave an interview where she mentioned she recently had a miscarriage.